Names by ncisabbylover
Summary: This is just the fist chapter of a responce to a challenge enjoy!
Categories: Gen Characters: Abby Sciuto
Genre: Challenge
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 2767 Read: 2332 Published: 04/21/2007 Updated: 04/21/2007
Story Notes:
This is by far the longest fic I've ever written and I am hopefully going to be continuing it.

1. Names by ncisabbylover

Names by ncisabbylover
Author's Notes:
This is just the fist chapter of a responce to a challenge enjoy!
Challenge: Write a oneshot of whether or not one or more of the characters live up to the meaning of their name:
Abigail Father's joy
Anthony Flourishing or Priceless
Donald 'Ducky' World Leader
Jennifer 'Jenny' Fair
Jethro Abundance
Jimmy Supplanter
Timothy Honor God
Ziva Radiance or Light
Caitlin Pure (I added this one myself.)
Conditions/Restrictions: Have fun and be creative.

It had been yet another long day at NCIS. The current case had hit another dead end and with a lack of physical evidence Abby was getting rather bored. The fact that her mother just died didn’t help much. She had nothing to distract her without work. She was almost done filling out her 2 week leave form when the phone rang. “Hello, Abby Scuito speaking.”
“Abbs, It’s Gibbs can I see you up here.”
“Give me a sec, I need to finish these forms.”
“No, now.” He ordered.
Abby finished the forms anyway. She figured she could give them to Jenny as soon as she was done with Gibbs. “What’s the matter Gibbso?” Abby asked in true Abby form.
“Well, you took your time getting here didn’t you?”
“Are you gonna tell me what you want or do I have to guess?”
“There’s a man over her who claims to be your father.”
“Dad? Where?”
“Here he comes now.” Gibbs said pointing to a rather elderly man walking towards them. Abby ran over and almost knocked him off his feet. “Dad!” Abby signed once she had let him go. “Hey Princess, how you going?” He signed back.
“I’m fine what are you doing here? I was just about to give the director my 2 weeks leave forms.”
“I thought I’d save you the trip over. Besides I’ve never been to your apartment.”
“Cool, If you want to just wait here for a sec I need to give these forms to Jenny. This is my boss Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs.” Abby finger spelled. “Gibbs can you entertain my dad while I go see Jenny.”
“Sure.” Gibbs signed as he spoke and then turned and started signing to Frank. “You know your daughter is a great asset to our team…” Gibbs started to brag. He thought of Abby as kind of daughter figure himself.
“Hey Cynthia, is Jenny in?” Abby asked with her usual bounciness.
“Yeah, you can go straight in.” Cynthia said as she picked up the phone to inform Jenny that Abby was here.
“You have your 2 week leave forms I presume?” Jenny asked as Abby walked over to her desk. “Yeah, my dad just showed up. He’s talking to Gibbs right now, but I need to be here for him. I don’t know whether you know but my mother just died. Her funeral is next week and I need to help finalize the arrangements.”
“No, I didn’t know, well I’m sorry for your loss but taking your leave might have become a bit of a problem.”
“What do you mean ‘A bit of a problem’?” Abby asked concerned.
“We just got another case in and with you on leave we’ll have to hire another forensic tech to take your place, and you know how Gibbs gets with those people.”
“Well what if I took care of that. I know of someone who could replace me quite competently and I’m sure she could handle Gibbs.” Abby compromised.
“Well… okay but you have to explain this to Gibbs.”
“Great, I’ll call her in now.”
“Joann, it’s Abby, are you busy because I have a favor to ask of you.”
“No not at all. Anything.” Joann answered.
“Can you come and work for NCIS for 2 weeks while I’m on leave?”
“Okay sure I can come now?” Joann half answered half asked.
“Great see you in half-an-hour.”
“Bye”
“Gibbs?” Abby called. Gibbs excused himself from his conversation with Frank.
“What?”
“The director has a new case and since I’m on leave I have asked a close friend of mine to take my place. You cannot be too mean to her as she is my friend but she is quite capable of doing what you demand me to do.” Abby said as she approached him.
“Okay. You going now?” Gibbs asked a little confused.
“Yeah, I’m just gonna get my stuff together and I’ll be off.” Abby said, “Dad, I’m just getting my stuff together, I’ll meet you at my car.” Abby signed. She quickly got her things together and said good-bye to Tony, who was now sitting at his desk, and Gibbs, who kissed her check on the way out. “Have fun Abs.” he said as she hoped into the elevator. “I will, I love spending time with dad.” Abby answered as the elevator doors swished closed. She couldn’t wait.


As Tony sat waiting for a new case his mind started to wonder. First it wondered to why he got this job, that lead to the question of how he got this job, which soon lead to the painful memory of Kate.
*FLASHBACK*
“How’d you get into NCIS?”
“I smiled.”
*END OF FLASHBACK*
Kate…the only woman to had ever really gotten to him. The only woman who made him really think about what he said or did. The only woman who could find good in a bad situation. She held him together. She made him laugh. She made him happy. She made his job more bearable. She was…gone, he remembered. Such a waste of a beautiful life. She was pure. In heart, mind, and soul. That bastard Ari had taken her from him. He was dead now but the thought still made him want to shoot that arrogant idiot. Just then Ziva walked in. The sight of her made him slightly angrier. She was Kate’s replacement. As she walked in he stood up and stormed out of the room, grumbling something under his breath. “What the hell is wrong with you?” She yelled as he angrily pushed the button on the elevator. “Leave me alone.” He mumbled back, she could barely hear him.
Just then the elevator pinged open and he got in and pressed the button that lead down to the car park. He would go to their special place. The place where they had talked after the incident with Y-pestis. It wasn’t that far and if they needed him he would be reachable by cell although he hoped desperately that they wouldn’t need him.

The park was almost empty. Just like it had been the day they were there. It was their last proper conversation they had had together. He sat on the bench and the memories flooded back to him. The jokes, the never ending teasing, but also the seriousness of that conversation. He let it slip that when he had the plague he was scared. It was the first time he had ever confessed that to anyone. She thought he was going to die herself. She was devastated when he had been diagnosed. She had stayed with him through out though. Even if it meant putting herself at risk. Then, no more then 2 weeks later she had died. She had already taken one bullet. Why did she have to take another one? Why did she have to die? Why did she have to leave without saying goodbye? These were questions that he often asked himself along with, Could I have changed it? If I did something different would there be a different out come? He thoughts were distracted when someone came up to him and sat with him. “Jimmy? What are you doing here?”
As he spoke he remembered what Jimmy was. He was yet another replacement for someone Ari had taken away from them. Not permanently like Kate but had taken him away none the less. “Uhh… I was… um just remembering someone. What about you?”
“Yeah same here.”
“Kate?”
“How’d ya know?” Tony asked puzzled.
“When I first came on the job I had some issues that Kate talked me through. Right here. She was a great woman.”
Tony felt his heart shatter. He thought this was their spot. Just for them. Now he was talking to the Autopsy Gremlin. He had let his guard down. “Damn!” He exclaimed and then walked off. He needed to talk to someone, not the Autopsy Gremlin, not Ziva, definitely not Gibbs, and the person he usually spoke to about Kate was with her father. He couldn’t interrupt Abby’s holiday. “Ducky!” he thought out loud. He jumped into his car and dialed Ducky’s cell. “Hello, Dr. Mallard speaking.” Came his ever so formal greeting. “Hey Duck, can you meet me at our usual lunch spot I’d like to buy you something to eat and have a bit of a conversation.” Ducky was their unofficial “mediator” after all. “Yeah, sure. Is something the matter Tony?” Ducky asked hinting something in Tony’s voice and being unsure of what it was. “ I just want to talk to someone. When can you get there?”
“I can meet you there in 10 minutes.”
“Ok, sure. See ya then.”

“So what seems to be the problem?” Ducky asked after they ordered and received their meals. “I’ve been thinking about Kate. Usually I talked to Abby on all matters concerning Kate but she’s with her dad and I don’t want to interrupt her.”
“Oh…yes, Caitlin.”
“I just figured since you’re good at things like this that you could just help me out a bit.”
“I’ll do my best Tony.”
“She was great wasn’t she?”
“She was wonderful, beautiful, and had a pure heart of gold.”
“Yeah she did didn’t she?... Do you think there was something I could of done?”
“Like what.”
“I don’t know, take her place, just save her in some way.”
“Tony, you are a priceless, valuable, irreplaceable member of our team.”
“So was she. Why did they have to get someone to take her place if she was irreplaceable? It all happened so quickly. Abby and I don’t understand it.”
“No one replaced Caitlin, Tony. We just got a new addition to our team after she died that would have come anyway.”
“Then why does she seem so much like a replacement?”
“Because, as you said, it all happened so quickly, we weren’t given time to heal.”
“But why did she have to leave. I wish I could take her place sometimes.”
“Tony, everything happens for a reason. If it had been you she would have to deal with it. Do you know how concerned she was when you had Plague? She would be devastated. She wouldn’t have coped with it. You are strong Tony, she was too but you have the strength to pull through this. Just remember you are priceless and irreplaceable to us too. Just like Kate.”
“You know Ducky, you are almost like Gibbs in a way. You lead the team sort of like Gibbs but in a different manner. You lead the team in a more psychological way, a more spiritual way. You lead our little world like a priest would lead a church. With love and compassion and great advice.” Tony said as he stood up to leave, “Thanks.”

“McGee!?, where’s Tony?” Gibbs yelled across the bullpen.
“Umm…Ahh… I don’t know Boss.” McGee answered unsure of the response he would get. “Well find him, we have a case. A triple homicide at Quantico.”
“Gibbs?” Ziva half interrupted.
“What?”
“I think he’s with Ducky. He isn’t himself today.”
“Well, he better become himself before he is fired.” Gibbs said in his usual Gibbsish way.
“Who would that be?” Tony said coming through the elevator door.
“You! Now get your gear. We have a triple homicide at Quantico.”
“Sure thing Boss.” Tony slurred as he ran to get his weapon and backpack. McGee was getting up and heading towards the elevator, “McGee, what do you think you’re doing?” Gibbs asked. “Well…I was…uh…going to gas the truck.” Came McGee’s stuttered reply. “No you’re not.”
“I’m not Boss?” McGee asked looking puzzled.
“No you’re gonna go make sure we have a proper lab tech and make sure everything in there is set up and ready to go for them. We are gonna have a lot of evidence go over, with lots of tests to run. Since we don’t have Abby we are going to need everything to be ready so we get things done faster.”
“Umm… Sure thing Boss.” To McGee Gibbs was almost a god, he was larger than life and extremely powerful and demanded absolute respect or he forced it out of you. McGee decided a long time ago that he would honor this “god” and not make him angry.

“Tony, what was with you today?” Ziva asked when the reached the car.
“Painful memories, Ziva.” Tony replied, Gibbs knew exactly what he was talking about.
“Anything you want to talk about?”
“Not to you so just drop it.” Tony replied harshly, after this morning he was back to how he treated Ziva when he first met her. Kate’s replacement. Ziva was slightly shocked at his outburst but stood back none the less.

The crime scene had been a long one to process and had taken them a good 4 or 5 hours to complete without the tests and evidence processing. By the time they arrived back at HQ it was around 6pm. The continued to work until midnight, pulling an all nighter and sleeping on or under their desks. The lab tech wasn’t as good as Abby but was pretty damn close. She had as many tests running as her machines would allow and almost always met Gibbs’ demands. With her in the lab they solved the case within a few days. However, another “case” was coming along any minute. It was not one of their usual cases. However, it was very personal.

When Abby came running into the bull pen with tears running down her cheeks a week earlier than she was suppose to start work everyone crowded around her. “What’s wrong? What happened? Are you okay?” they started asking her all at once. She couldn’t speak so she signed something to Gibbs. A sharp whistle soon rang through their ears. “Go back to what you are doing, you all still have paper work to finish.” Gibbs said and they started to back off, “Would you like to go somewhere else?” Gibbs asked Abby. She nodded and he took her arm and started to lead her down to the lab. She pulled away. “No, we need to go to my apartment.” She said in a hazy whisper.
“Why?” Gibbs asked, why in the world would he need to go to her apartment?
“It’s my dad…he…he…” She couldn’t bring herself to say it so she signed it and burst into tears. “He died.”
Gibbs drew her into a hug. He had an abundance of kindness and gentleness that very few got to see let alone feel. He was the strongest member of the team and he had a knack of making people feel better, no matter how he treated them. “How?” he finally asked.
“Suicide” Abby signed not able to bring herself to say it. He left a note saying that he couldn’t cope without Gloria. He… he…slit his throat” She finished signing the end part.
“Ohh Abby, how about you stay here and I will go look after your apartment.” She nodded and Gibbs pulled her into a hug and kissed her forehead. “It’ll be ok.” He whispered in her ear.
When Gibbs left Abby went to see Joann in the lab. The surprise she received was that Joann had gone home. An all nighter with Gibbs was something she couldn’t handle without a days break. Ziva was in there, Abby was not quite sure what she was doing. “Hey?” Ziva said.
“Hey what you up to?” Abby asked.
“Thinking, its one of the best places.”
“Thanks. What are you thinking about?”
“What’s up with Tony. Yesterday he seemed very upset at me and apparently at Jimmy too.”
“Ohh no.” Abby said, “He’s been thinking about Kate. To him you replaced her and Jimmy replaced Gerald, Ducky’s old assistant, Ari shot him.” Abby said then realized who she was talking to. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.”
“No, don’t be. Ari wasn’t who I thought he was.”
“Tony should be over it in a couple of days, just keep your distance and you should survive. Him and Kate went through a lot together.”
“Yeah I know, Hey what’s up with you, you look like you’ve been crying.”
“I can’t talk about it right now,” she said as she started to cry again, “It’s too painful.”
“Okay, but if you need me I’m here.” Ziva offered showing her true love and compassion. “Put on some music, let’s take our minds off all this stuff.” Ziva suggested. Abby was a bit taken back. She didn’t peg Ziva as the musicy type. She turned it on anyway. Ziva started to dance showing off her true radiance Abby joined in and they threw their cares away just for a little while.
End Notes:
This is by far the longest fic I've ever written and I am hopefully going to be continuing it.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1929