Sex, Lies and Interrogation by no1bean
Summary: a continuation of behing blue eyes, i suggest you read all three previous stories to understand this one
Categories: Het Characters: None
Genre: Action, Drama, Established relationship, Friendship, Humor
Pairing: DiNozzo/Kate, Abby/McGee, Other Pairing
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 12684 Read: 62999 Published: 05/19/2007 Updated: 08/06/2007
Story Notes:
the 4th part of the mac series. enjoy

1. Sex, Lies and Interrogation by no1bean

2. Chapter 2 by no1bean

3. Chapter 3 by no1bean

4. Chapter 4 by no1bean

5. Chapter 5 by no1bean

6. Chapter 6 by no1bean

7. Chapter 7 by no1bean

8. Chapter 8 by no1bean

9. Chapter 9 by no1bean

10. Chapter 10 by no1bean

11. Chapter 11 by no1bean

12. Chapter 12 by no1bean

13. Chapter 13 by no1bean

14. Chapter 14 by no1bean

15. Chapter 15 by no1bean

Sex, Lies and Interrogation by no1bean
Author's Notes:
a continuation of behing blue eyes, i suggest you read all three previous stories to understand this one
Prologue

Mac fell backwards into Kate's arms as the gun shot rang out, her blue eyes showing pain. She still managed to bring her leg up and smack it into the hand holding the gun, disarming the assailant. Three bullets erupted out of their chest, narrowly avoiding Mac's head. The gunman fell forward, dead, leaving Tony standing there, gun raised.
"Are you ok?" he asked, concerned towards Mac.
"Does it look like it" she managed to utter before pressing her hand over her abdomen. The pregnant woman buckled from the extra weight of Mac and the both fell to the floor.
End Notes:
the 4th part of the mac series. enjoy
Chapter 2 by no1bean
Chapter 2

2 Days Earlier

"Face is healing up nicely DiNozzo" Mac told him, a hint of sarcasm in her voice.
"Don't start this again Mac" he said across the bullpen.
"Hey, it was a complement"
"Hate to see an insult"
"You want one?" she said, sitting up a bit.
"Bring it sister!" he said, standing up.
"Did you just call me sister?"
"Um, I think I did! Damn it!"
"Ooh, ripped" she said, slouching again,
"Listen Mac," he started, but was interrupted by the ringing phone. "DiNozzo. Right got it" he said, hanging up. "Grab the gear. We got a dead sailor in Shenandoah Park. Mac, gas the truck"
"You got it, Sister" she said, laughing and running to the elevator before Tony chased her out.

The truck pulled up near the crime scene and they all hopped out, even Pullman from the back of the truck. "Mac, photos"
"Yes! My favourite job."
"No need to be sarcastic" he said, following her to the crime scene
"No, I wasn't. I like taking photos, maybe not the subject but the actual photography I like."
"Oh, well. Sorry"
"Don't apologise, it's a sign of weakness." He said, winking at him.
"Sneaky. Kate," he said turning to his wife. "You and Pullman bag and tag. I'm agent DiNozzo, this is, well, also agent DiNozzo, Sciuto and Pullman" he said to the LEO as the ducked under the tape.
"Officer Drake Weston. We got the call a couple of hours ago, found his ID, and then we called you guys."
"Thanks. Who is that?" Tony said, indicating to the woman with a cop.
"The park ranger, found the body this morning."
"Kate, you interview her"
"You got it honey" she said, breaking up from the group and heading over to the LEO.
"Ouchie" Mac said when she saw the position of the body. He was half in, half out of his tent, a contorted look of pain on his face. A single gunshot wound had sprayed blood all over his white t-shirt. Mac snapped all of this with the camera as Pullman bagged and tagged everything he could see.
"Where the hell is Ducky?" Tony asked as he crouched down beside the body.
"Sorry Anthony, Billy got us lost"
"Doctor, I…"
"Don't answer back, it is disrespectful" Mac told the temporary ME assistant
"Thank you Sarah"
"No problem, true"
"Hypocrite" Tony whispered in her ear,
"You say something agent DiNozzo?" her striking eyes piercing his.
"Nope" he said, going back to crouching with Ducky joining him.
"COD is the obvious, gunshot to the abdomen, died quickly" he said as Tony opened his mouth to ask. "Liver temp suggests that TOD is 10 hours ago" Ducky said, pulling out the liver probe.
"Ranger was doing rounds when she came upon the crime scene. She thought he was sleeping for some reason. She was gonna wake him to tell his sleeping like that was dangerous when he didn't wake. Apparently she rolled him over and, well. Saw the gunshot, called the cops" Kate said, joining the rest of the team.
"Nice wake up call" Mac said, resuming her photography, and the rest of the team went back to work.

An hour later they were all back at HQ. Ducky had started the autopsy and Abby had started on all the evidence they brought back. "James Rankin" Tony said and the sailor's file appeared on the plasma. "Lieutenant Commander. Married for ten years to Helen Rankin. She is currently on her way home according to the GPS chip in her phone"
"You want me to interview her or pick her up?" Mac said from her desk.
"Well, I say you go and do whatever you feel is necessary."
"You got it." She said, standing up and slipping her holstered sig onto her trouser band.
"Take Pullman with you" Tony added and Pullman followed suit, grabbing up his weapon and sliding between the elevator doors just as they were about to close.
Chapter 3 by no1bean
Chapter 3

Mac and Pullman pulled up outside the house of Helen Rankin. They got out and realized they had beaten her home. "Should we wait in the car?" Pullman asked.
"No" Mac said simply, striding over to the front door and pulling on the handle, it was locked.
"So now do we sit in the car?"
"I stutter or something?" she said, turning back to the door. Ho couldn't see what se was doing, but suddenly the door sprang open. "Come on" she said, walking straight into the living room of the house.
"Um, ma'am, we should be here without a warrant"
"Don't call me ma'am, it's agent Sciuto or Mac" she said, looking around the room, not really paying attention to Daniel.
"Agent Sciuto, a car just pulled up, we should really go"
"Oh calm down Daniel, what's the harm?"
"It's illegal"
"Since when has that ever stopped me?" she said, turning to face the door as a man and a woman entered. Mac recognized the woman as Helen Rankin, but not the man. She had short blond hair, was about 5'5" and of medium build. He was at least 6'3" and had long dark hair. He looked confused to see people, especially Pullman as he had his hands down the back of Helen Rankin's trousers. He pulled them out when he saw the look on Mac's face. He had red lipstick smears running form this cheek, right down below his shirt line.
"Is this your…" he started towards Rankin. His accent sounded eastern European to Mac.
"No, that's not my husband Yakiv" she said, just as confused as him. Pullman didn't know what to do, he just stood there staring at them, his brown eyes unable to move.
"Mrs. Rankin, I'm special agent Sciuto, NCIS" Mac said, showing her credentials.
"What is that?"
"Naval Criminal Investigative Service" she said, never getting used to people not knowing. "I have some news for you."
"What?
"You're husband is dead" she said flatly. Normally she would have sugar-coated it, but considering that the woman was having an affair, she didn't care. The woman shook a bit, but didn't seem all that effected at first. Then she collapsed into fits of tears in front of them all, her lover trying to console her, getting whacked in the face by her instead.
"You cold blooded bitch!" she yelled, running at Mac full pelt. Mac easily moved out of the way and slammed her again the wall, slapping the cuffs round her wrists.
"That wasn't a good plan" she hissed in the woman's ear.
"Ouch, they are tight" she squealed
"You should have thought about that before you ran at me bitch" she said, tightening the cuffs even more. "Pullman, put her in the car" ac said, handing her off to him.
"Yes Ma'am" he said, but caught the look in her eyes, "Agent Sciuto" he corrected himself.
"Bye" Mac said, passing Yakiv as she followed Pullman out.

"Hey, what did you decide?" Tony asked Mac as she entered the bullpen,
"I arrested her, Pullman is taking her to interrogation."
"Why arrest?"
"Well, she called me a cold hearted bitch and tried to plough me down"
"Fair enough. Why the insult"
"I told her flat out her husband was dead because she was having an affair"
"Ooh, ouchie. I smell motive"
"Aye, either her or the lover"
"What's he like?"
"Ukrainian, by the looks of things, an artist. Oh yeah, some woman love ‘em"
"How'd you get Ukrainian, he tell you?"
"Accent my friend, always gives it away"
"Tell that to my Canadian friend Celine Saint-Pierrre"
"Hm, true" she admitted.
"I put her in interrogation one ma'am" Pullman said, re-entering the bullpen.
"Ooh, probie." Tony started. "I wouldn't call her ma'am unless you want your face messed up and be doomed never to walk again"
"What he said" Mac added.
"So, interrogation. Me, you or Kate? What'll it be?"
"Do you even have to ask?"
"Try not to injure her" Tony said, following Mac to interrogation
Chapter 4 by no1bean
Chapter 4

Tony entered observation as Mac entered actual interrogation. "Hello, it's me. Your friendly neighbourhood bitch" she said, slamming the door behind her.
"Just, go away" she said, still crying.
"How about no?" Mac said, dragging out the chair and throwing herself into it. "So, you like the artistic type do ya?" she said, a cheeky smile on her face.
"Why are you doing this?"
"Me, I prefer the intellectual type myself. But you, you like both, husband and lover. Busy girl" she said, even though the woman was 10 years old than her.
"Please, don't" she wept.
"Why? I mean you didn't really care about you husband"
"I loved him"
"And yet you were screwing the Ukrainian. Your train of thought escapes me" she admitted.
"I said stop it." She said quietly.
"So, did you kill your husband or did he?"
"Stop it!" she roared, jumping up. Ma reacted and jumped up herself, taking up a defensive stance. Mac was strong, but so was metal. The chair wielded in the other woman's arms came down on her head with a heavy weight.
"Aya Fuck!" she screamed out, her accent showing. She swayed but still managed to bring her leg up and swipe it over the woman's face, left to right, knocking her out. She wobbled as Tony erupted through the door. She brought her hand up to her hurting head. She pressed her hand into the wound and let out a little moan, and drawing her hand back, she saw the warm red liquid spread over her hand.
"Mac! You ok?" Tony said, panic in his voice.
"Yeah DiNozzo, it's just a scratch." She said, rubbing her head again.
"I don't care…"
"So nice" she interrupted him.
"I don't care, I'm getting your dad up here."
"Ok" she said, sitting down on the chair that caused the injury.
"Ducky" Tony said as the ME answered his phone.
"Ah, Anthony. What can I do for you today? I haven't finished the autopsy on Mr. Rankin yet."
"No Duck. I need you up in interrogation now!"
"Why?"
" Mac was hurt"
"Who the hell laid a finger on my daughter!" he yelled through the phone.
"I'm fine dad" he heard her voice come through the earpiece. "Tony is being over protective again. It's just a scratch."
"I don't care Mac, he's checking it out" Tony said.
"I'll be right up" he said, slamming the phone down.

When Ducky arrived in interrogation 1, Mac was sitting on the chair and he rushed right over to her. "Honey, are you ok?"
"Yeah, fine. As I said, it is just a scratch." She said, her eyes like daggers on Tony.
"I was just double checking" he said in his defense.
"God, you're worse that Kate with the worrying" she said as Ducky looked through her hair.
"Well sorry if I give a damn about anyone else or consequences."
"Oh, exaggeration of the year. Of course I care. And I weigh out situations before running in guns blazing thank you very much"
"Ok, sorry. But I was just concerned about my best friend, you have a problem with that?"
"No, and don't say your sorry. It's a sign of weakness" she said, smiling at him and getting a laugh from Ducky.
"What's the damage Duck?" Tony asked.
"Nothing serious. Could use a few stitches, but I suggest you get Chris to do them"
"Thanks dad. And I told you it would be ok. I have a lot of packaging to protect my tiny brain"
"Tiny?" Ducky chucked. "You have a 180 IQ!"
"It's 170, but I like your thinking"
"You gonna go to the hospital?"
"Nah, Chris'll be on lunch by now, I'll call him up and he can come along. He wants to check up on me, make sure I'm not doing DiNozzo in an autopsy drawer."
"Funny"
"Tony, could you prep her? I want another crack at her" Mac said, disappearing round towards the bullpen.
Chapter 5 by no1bean
Chapter 5

Chris arrived half an hour later. When Tony entered the bullpen, Mac was sitting at her desk, Chris knelt beside her, looking at her head. "Hey Tony, how's the face?" he said, without looking up.
"That's funny" he said, sitting down at his own desk. "She's prepped and awaiting your wrath Mrs. Sciuto."
"Thanks"
"Try and not attack her this time Mac,"
"It was self defense" she told him.
"That happens a lot to you doesn't it. I mean, Mrs. Rankin in interrogation, and then there was that nurse chick"
"She tried to smother me!"
"I know"
"Then why even bring it up?"
"Just saying" he said defensively.
"Right, you're all done" Chris said standing up.
"Thank you honey" she said, kissing him before walking him to the elevator.

Mac stepped into interrogation for the second time that day. Rankin was cuffed at the table. She looked defeated somehow, her head was hung and she was holding her sleeves down even more than usual. Mac dragged the chair out with aggression and sat down, her eyes piercing holes in the older woman. She fumbled with her jumper cuffs and wouldn't make eye contact. "It is not a good idea to assault a federal agent" Mac said slowly.
"I had no choice"
"Bullshit. You had a choice not to hit me over the head, and then maybe you wouldn't have that shiner covering the left side of your face" Mac said, indicating to the bruise that covered half her face.
"It comes as an instinct" she whispered,
"To what?" Mac asked impatiently, starting to get pissed off.
"Um…never mind"
"Now, tell me!" she yelled, pushing the chair back as she leapt up, leaning onto the table. She didn't answer, instead she started to quiver.
"Please don't"
"Why, I have no reason. I am just doing my job!"
"I think I want a lawyer" she whimpered.
"Hmm, good idea" Mac said, grabbing up the file and storming out the door. She stormed into observation and stood looking at the woman through the glass as Tony did the same.
"Wow Mac, you seemed pissed."
"I am" she said shortly.
"Head hurting?"
"Ya think DiNozzo?" she said, not taking her eyes off Rankin.
"You sound like Gibbs more and more every day"
"I'll take that as a complement"
"It was one. She was really scared of you" Tony stated.
"Too scared" Mac said, appearing deep in thought.
"what do you mean"
"That! That there is exactly what I mean" Mac said, pointing at her.
"What?" Tony said, missing what Mac was looking at.
"Excuse me" Mac said to the tech, taking his seat and tapping away at the computer.
"What did you see?" Tony asked, still in the dark.
"That" Mac said, stopping typing. The screen showed a zoomed in snapshot of Helen Rankin. She wasn't even looking at the camera, but the shot wasn't of her head. Mac's shoulder was slightly visible, but it wasn't that either. Rankin's blouse had fallen open, revealing something Mac had obviously seen, but Tony hadn't. On her left side, inside her shirt was a dark blue mark, about the shape of a fist.
"Oh shit" he muttered, knowing what was coming.
"Yeah, she was abused" Mac said, turning round and looking Tony straight in the eye.
Chapter 6 by no1bean
Chapter 6

Mac sat at her desk, head resting on the desk. Well not resting but it was down there all right. "Damn it, I hate abuse cases" Tony's voice came from his own desk.
"Yeah, well it is worse when you have experience on the subject" Mac said quietly.
"Wait what?" Tony practically yelled, now actually standing at her side.
"How did you get over here so fast?" she asked, trying to change the subject.
"No, don't do that!" he yelled, spinning her chair round and leaning on the arms, moving his face close to hers in a caring way. "If he hurt you I will hunt him down and slaughter him myself"
"Him? Chris!!! God no!" she screamed, jumping up and walking into the middle of the bullpen, outraged at the prospect. "How the hell could you even think that?" she said, throwing her arms up in outrage.
"Sorry, just by the sound of it I…" he stuttered.
"Chris couldn't hurt a fly, do not ever say anything along those lines again. You are so far from the truth you can't even see the line you crossed"
"Mac, calm down. And tell that to my poor face, it hurt."
"Well, you see how protective of me he is. You two are similar in that way."
"I'm not that protective of you"
"And I quote ‘If he hurt you I will hunt him down and slaughter him myself'"
"Hmm, you have a point" he told her as her name was yelled from the other side of the room.
"What?" she yelled back.
"Come here!" the voice came, it was Abby. Mac did so and found the Goth standing in front of too women, who were looking rather pale.
"What's up? You need help"
"Translate!" she yelled frustrated.
"Excuse me?" she said, confused, as was Tony who was standing behind her.
"You aright hen?" the black haired woman said to Abby and Mac suddenly understood. The one word that explained it all. Weegies.
"This lassie is bletherin, I think she's crabbit" the blond one said, indicating it at Mac.
"Calm down, she just doesn't get it. Why are you here?"
"It's aw richt, hen. We're here to see ma cousin"
"Who is?" she said, but the elevator dinged and a little boy ran out.
"Mummy" he said, running into her arms as she swept him off the floor.
"Hey honey. How are you?"
"Fine" he said, hugging her again.
"That's a braw bairn you got there hen" she said, indicating at Matt.
"Thanks." She said, still holding Matt. "So again, who is your cousin?"
"Special Agent Balboa" the blond one said.
"Right. I think he is the field. I'll check."
"Oy, what's with the glaikit look on her?" the dark haired one said to Mac about Abby.
"Very few Americans understand the language of the weegies" Mac told them as the elevator dinged again.
"Damn it Matt, what did I tell you about running away" Chris said, walking past the weegies.
"Hey" she said, kissing him.
"And the husband is fair bonnie anaw" the blond one whispered to her friend.
"Take that as a complement Chris" Mac said.
"You heard that?" she asked embarrassed.
"I didn't" Chris said, confused.
"My dad is in autopsy" she said, knowing that Chris was there to drop Matt of with Ducky.
"Mac, I don't want him to see…"
"He has no bodies down there" she said, knowing what he was thinking.
"OK, see you later then, I love you"
"Love you too" she said as he left, quick as he had come.
"Aww, so sweet" Abby said.
"Right, Abby escort these ladies to Agent Balboa. I've got work to do."
"Oh no you don't" Tony said, grabbing her arm. "You are gonna spill to me" he said, leading her to the breakrom.

She sat down at the table and he did so on the other side. "Right" he began. "You brought it up, I want to know what you have to do with abuse?" he said, determined, but yet with worry in his voice.
"It's a long story"
"I got time" he said defiantly.
"Fine then, you really want me to pour my little heart out to you?"
"Your heart is the opposite of little, and yeah"
"Fine then." She said, and they both got comfy. "When I was a kid in high school, I wasn't at home much. When I wasn't at school I was out at band or something else along those lines, and occasionally out with friends. One day band was cancelled, so I came home early. Had no money in my phone so I didn't phone my mum for her t find out. I came in and… my step-dad…he hit her." She said quietly. "Well, I of course ran over and tried to stop him. Then, cause of his temper…he hit me" she forced out. "I never really forgot it, but it was pushed to the back of my mind. I was busy with exams and other crap. But somewhere I knew he was still hitting her. I only saw very few bruises and cuts, but she was covered up most of the time."
"He only hit you the once?"
"No, he only hit me when I tried to stop him…."
"From hitting her" Tony finished for her.
"Yeah. Well. I went off to Uni, but still came home every weekend to try and stop it. He was getting older, and I was getting stronger. One day I came home and he wasn't feeling well. He still got up to hit her, but not at full strength. Well, I saw this and took advantage. I kicked his ass and chucked him out the house. And I mean properly kick his ass. Bleeding on the verge of death kicking his ass. Then my mum got told she had cancer and…" She trailed off. "I never saw him again" she said, re-gathering herself. "He died last year. Bastard got off lucky. I should have killed him."
"I can imaging what your dad said when you told him."
"I can imaging what my dad said if I had told him."
"He doesn't know"
"No. no one else does, apart from Chris of course. He knows everything about me. And I mean everything if you catch my drift."
"That's too much info Mac" Tony said. Blushing a little.
"And that is why I got so upset when you thought it was Chris. In my mind that was comparing him to that bastard. That is something that never ever should have happened. I am one of the luckiest woman in the world, because I found on of the only decent men in the world." She said with a smile. "And I am also lucky to have another of them as a friend. Thank you Tony" she said, giving him a hug before heading back to the bullpen.
Chapter 7 by no1bean
Chapter 7

"Right, I am gonna be nice to her this time" Mac said, trying to convince herself more than the others.
"Oh, that I'd like to see" Tony said, following her round the corner to interrogation. Mac sighed at the door before entering the room.
"Come to yell at me again Special Agent Sciuto" she said, ruffling her sleeves nervously.
"No" Mac said softly. "I know what your husband did to you. I am sorry for the accusations"
"My husband what?" she said confused.
"I know he abused you Helen." Mac said, and Rankin looked nervous, but then spoke again.
"He didn't" she whispered.
"What?" Mac said, getting confused.
"My husband didn't abuse me. I did have an affair, and I only did it while James was deployed. I wanted to and it but Yakiv wouldn't let me."
"He did this to you?"
"Yes. He is nice really though" she stuttered, trying to make up for what she had just said.
"Yeah, I bet" Mac said sarcastically, standing up and leaving. ‘Damn this is a long day' she thought. Mac's phone rang and she reluctantly answered. "Sciuto" she said, flipping it open.
"Ma'am, Yakiv Stupka is here asking for Helen Rankin" a nasal voice came through the earpiece.
"Thanks" Mac said, getting annoyed. She leaned her head into observation and talked to the tech. "Get Rankin out of here. Get Agent DiNozzo, not you Tony," she paused, looking at him. "Get Kate to escort her. Got it?"
"Yes ma'am," he answered.
"Who was that?" Tony asked, coming out of observation.
"Yakiv Stupka is here"
"Mac, please don't kick the crap out of him. That's not good for PR"
"Well, PR can kiss my ass."
"I knew that was coming" he said to him self as he chased after her down the corridor. Mac raced past the most wanted wall to see Stupka step off of the elevator. "Oh shit" Tony muttered as Mac jumped him. She placed her leg behind his and shoved him over, bending down and digging her knee into his chest. She drew her sig and pushed it against his heart, making him wince. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't splatter your organs all over the floor?" she said, pressing the gun into his chest.
"What?" she spluttered nervously.
"I hate domestic abusers, so don't push me"
"What? I am not abusive" he said with a think accent.
"I also hate liars"
"I am not lying. I never once hit Helen, ever." He pleaded. "I was the other way around" he whispered reluctantly.
"What the hell is going on today!" Mac said to herself, before giving the Ukrainian a chance. She roughly ripped open his shirt and her mind changed instantly. His muscled chest was covered in dark blue, purple and green bruises, all from different times. "what the hell happened to you?" she practically yelled.
"I did not abuse Helen, she hit me. And she killed her husband. I was there." he whimpered. Mac quickly holstered her sig and let up on his chest. She stood up and the helped Yakiv up.
"Are you positive?"
"Yes. I will testify" he said reluctantly said,
"Get him to a doctor" she said, handing him off to another agent before running back to interrogation. Tony once again on her six.

Mac burst into the empty room. "Where the hell is Rankin?!" she yelled through the glass.
"You told me to let her go" came the voice of the tech.
"Is she with agent DiNozzo?"
"Yes ma'am"
"Shit!" Mac yelled running out of the room with Tony and down to the garage while pulling out her phone. She called the main gate. "Has special agent DiNozzo left?!" she yelled down the mouthpiece. "God Fucking damn it!" she said, throwing it into the car and climbing in, Tony doing the same on the other side. She slammed her foot onto the accelerator and sped out of the parking lot. She braked suddenly when she arrived at the gate. "When did they leave!" she yelled at the marine.
"About 10 minutes ago ma'am" he said, barely even finishing before she sped off again. Tony grabbed the dashboard and Mac skidded round the corner.
"Mac, slow down!"
"No, get Abby on the phone. Tell her to trace Kate's cell" Mac said, as Tony grabbed up Mac's phone which was still lying between the seats.
"Abby"
"Hey Tony, what's up"
"Abby. No time to talk. Trace Kate's cell now!" he heard the clicking of keys.
"Is something wrong?"
"Yeah, you got a location?"
"She is 5 miles off the navy yard, NE. by the looks of things you are close. What's wrong?" she asked desperately, but Tony had already hung up.
"We are close. Why are you going so fast?"
"If she killed once she'll kill again, but this time she'll be hitting 2 birds with one stone" Mac said, speeding up even more.
Chapter 8 by no1bean
Chapter 8

Mac skidded to a halt when she spotted the abandoned sedan. She and Tony jumped out of the car and ran to it. It was empty, but there were signs of a struggle. "Oh shit" Tony muttered as he and Mac took in where they might be. There were several tall buildings surrounding them, and many possible choices. Mac pulled out her phone once more and called her sister-in-law.
"Abby, I need an exact location on Kate's cell, it's an emergency"
"Give me a second" she said, and Mac heard beeping and the tapping of keys. "She is at… an office building, 54 Saltire Avenue"
"Thanks" Mac said, lamming shut and looking around again. "There" she pointed, spotting the gold plaque with the number 54 on it. It read: Green & co, lawyers. She pulled out her sig and Tony did the same.
"I'll go round back" he whispered in her ear.
"Got it" she said back. She waited till he had disappeared from view and slowly turned the door handle and entered, sig leveled. She slowly looked around the main entrance, but saw no one. Since there were no other rooms on this floor she opted to move up a level. She exited the stairwell in the same fashion as she had entered the building. This time she struck gold. In one of the many offices on the first floor, she saw a hand holding a gun. She could tell by the height it was held at that is defiantly wasn't Kate, but she did see the pregnant woman's coat lying on the floor. She prepared to move forward and apprehend Rankin, but was glad she hadn't when she spotted the hand holding the gun gesturing to Kate to move out into the hallway. Mac ducked back into the stairs and waited a while before reemerging. Kate was standing with her hands above her head, Rankin's gun leveled at chest height. They were both side on to Mac, and she focused so she could hear what they were saying. Kate stayed silent while Rankin started to talk.
"You will pay for all of this. And by the looks of things, I'll get two kills in one." She said, gesturing the gun downwards towards her stomach.
"Please don't" Kate began to plead.
"Save your breath honey, I ain't gonna show any mercy" she said cocking he gun. "Say goodbye bitch" she said, but was shocked when something moved in the corner of her eye. She was distracted but pulled the trigger anyway. A millisecond later, she realized that the movement was a corner of her eye was another figure. She had moved in front of Kate and taken the bullet. Mac fell backwards into Kate's arms as the gun shot rang out, her blue eyes showing pain. She still managed to bring her leg up and smack it into the hand holding the gun, disarming Rankin. Three bullets erupted out of her chest, narrowly avoiding Mac's head. Rankin fell forward, dead, leaving Tony standing there, gun raised.
"Are you ok?" he asked, concerned towards Mac.
"Does it look like it" she managed to utter before pressing her hand over her abdomen. The pregnant woman buckled from the extra weight of Mac and the both fell to the floor. Mac struggled to roll off of her, but managed to do so. Tony jumped over Rankin's body
and knelt down at Mac's side. She rolled onto her left side and coughed. Tony wiped his hand around her mouth and cursed when he saw the red stain on his thumb.
"Mac, don't try to get up" he said softly as Kate pulled out her phone and called for an ambulance. She coughed again, and Tony felt blood soak up through the knee of his jeans. "Oh shit" he said, starting to panic. Mac didn't answer. He looked at her face and saw her eyes were closed. "Mac wake up!" he yelled, slapping her on the back of the head.
"Hit me again DiNozzo and I'll slap you silly" she whispered in between gasps.
"Mac, hold on, ambulance is on its way" he said, brushing her long hair out of her face affectionately.
"Tony, put pressure on in" she moaned, grasping his leg hardly to distract herself found her GSW.
"Mac, I am" he said confused.
"What?" she asked, just as confused. She moved her head so that she could see her own stomach. She saw Tony's hand pressing his jacket onto her wound. "I cant feel it" she whispered, coughing again.
"At all?"
"Just not you, harder DiNozzo"
"I have never had that said to me before Mac"
"First time for everything" she said, gritting her teeth.
"Now shhh, save your energy." He said, putting a finger on her lips. Her head flopped to the side again as she laid it his knee.
Chapter 9 by no1bean
Chapter 9

Mac was bundled out of the ambulance on a gurney, Tony jumping out behind the paramedics. Kate's sedan pulled up as well and she hoped out, rushing through the automatic doors and joining Tony standing watching the doctors wheel her into an operating room. Tony's trousers were soaked with Mac's blood. His hands and shirt also contained stains of red. "I'm gonna get cleaned up" he told Kate, heading left to the bathroom.

Tony splashed water on his face and looked up into the mirror. His eyes were distant and grey, some would say dead. He reluctantly admitted to himself that he was scared. Mac could had possible given her life to save his wife and unborn child. Then it hit him. She might die! No. he contradicted himself. It was Mac; it would take more than a single bullet to stop her. He knew he would have trouble sleeping tonight. Anytime his best friend was seriously hurt, or ‘dead' for that matter, a recurring nightmare plagued him. This was going to add to the long list of scenes that flashed through his head for months.

Chris ran down the hall and into the preparation room for OR1. He had gotten a page that he was needed for an emergency surgery ASAP, no other details apart from that. He looked into the operating room and saw his patient. She was mostly covered apart from her midsection. About 5 people crowded her, passing around surgical instruments and looking at monitors. When he was all scrubbed up he pushed the door open with his back and slipped on a pair of latex gloves. He didn't like the mask covering the lower extremities of his face, never had, but he knew it was a necessity. Her cloths had been ripped off for easy access. Chris saw them on the floor and they seemed somewhat familiar to him. "Female, brought him 5 minutes ago, single GSW to the abdomen" the scrub nurse told him as he approached the patient. He could only see her toned torso, but her injury was nasty.
"Right, lets get started" he told them, picking up a scalpel. In the other room his phone started to vibrate in the back pocket of his trousers.

Kate snapped her phone shut once more and gave out a sigh. "That the 5th message I've left him. I'm going to look for him." she said, sitting up straight. She got no reply. "Tony, are you ok?" she asked, placing hand on his tense shoulders.
"Yeah" he said quietly. "I'm just worried about her" he said, concern oozing from his words.
"Did you get hold of Ducky?" Kate asked, moving her hand to his knee.
"Yes. I told him she'd be a while in surgery, so he's gone to deal with the body first."
"I have a feeling he won't be gentle" she joked.
"He's gonna get Matt out of school and meet us here later" he said solemnly.
"This isn't going to go down well"
"I know. I called McGee, he's gonna pick up the twins" Tony said, still in his own little world.
"I am going to look for Chris" Kate said, giving him a kiss on the forehead and heading in the direction of the elevator.

"Will you get me a jar please" Chris called, holding up what appeared to be a 9mm slug between a pair of tweezers.
"Sir, shouldn't we focus on the medical side?" an intern asked.
"Yes, but my wife would kill me if I didn't respect forensics" he laughed through his mask. When he leaned over to drop it in the newly acquired jar, his hand brushed the edge of the cloth covering the patient, making a portion of it fall back. Chris' features widened in shock when he saw the newly exposed portion in flesh. On the slightly tanned skin was a perfectly sculpted black rose. Chris stumbled back and dropped the tweezers.
"Dr. Sciuto?" the intern asked. "I know she is stable, but we have to work fast. You never know how long it will last" he said, hoping not to get yelled at by the chief of medicine. Chris brushed him out of the way when he rushed to her head. he slowly folded to blue cloth forwards and fell back once again when he saw the woman he loved and cherished. Her sparkling blue eyes were closed and her dark hair fell by her side.
"I'll fix this" he said quietly to her, kissing her lips gently and returning to work on her wound.

Kate found herself at the nurse's station on the third floor. Behind the desk stood a young male nurse. His coloured skin standing out compared to the sterile white that surrounded him. His long hair was braided back into a ponytail and Kate saw it fall down onto the back of his green scrubs. The nurse looked up when she approached and leaned on the desk. "Excuse me" she began politely. "Could you possibly tell me where Dr. Chris Sciuto is please?"
"Surgery." He grunted. Turning back to the chart.
"Could you page him please?"
"No, he's busy"
"Well, it's important" she said, raising her voice, starting to get pissed off.
"You'll have to wait" he said, not even looking up this time.
"Arghh, men!" she said to herself, storming back to the elevator.

Chris began to suture Mac up after a long surgery. A high pitched squeal rang out which turned his blood to ice. "She's flat lining!" came the nurse's voice, but it seemed so far off.
"Paddles!" he screamed suddenly, and the intern wheeled the cart over.
"Charging to 200!" the nurse yelled over the commotion.
"Clear!" Chris called and Mac practically jumped off the bed. But nothing happened. "Charge to 300!" he called and she did so. "Clear!" he shrieked and again nothing happened. The intern resumed compressions in between shocks and Chris once again yelled and sent a shock through his wife's body. "Damn it Mac!" he yelled at her. "I'm not losing you again. You will wake up or…I will get Gibbs on here! Shock her again!" he yelled, turning back to the group. They reluctantly obeyed and once more the beautiful woman nearly leapt from the table. "For Fucks sake Sarah! Wake up damn it!" he cried. "AGAIN!" he screamed at them. Everyone there except Chris exchanged a look and then the anesthesiologist spoke up.
"Chris, she's gone." He said softly.
"I said again!" he screamed impatiently. None of them responded. "Fine!" he yelled, shoving them all out of the way and kicking it up a notch.
"Sir, that will kill her!" the intern cried, outraged.
"Brace yourself honey" he whispered before one again sending a shockwave through her whole body. The high pitched scream as replaced with a comforting, familiar beep. They were all shocked, with the exception of Chris who had a smile on his face. "Ah, you always were a tough woman to please" he said to himself, before turning back, picking up the needle and resuming to sow her up.
Chapter 10 by no1bean
Chapter 10

Mac once again woke to the pain, yet numbness in her midsection. She painfully twisted her neck round and saw 2 tubes entering her left arm, feeding up to 2 separate bags on an IV stand. One contained a thick red liquid, that she recognized all too much, and had a yellow label reading: Alexander Hospital, Virginia. Blood Bank Ser. No. 12207. ABneg" The second contained a clear substance methodically dripping as if on cue. Mac felt a presence on her right side. Chris' hand was slipped into hers and his head was rested on the bed. He was currently asleep, but looked like he hadn't for a while. The morphine relaxed her, but also numbed her usually impeccable senses. She squeezed her eyes shut, and then reopened them quickly, bringing the clock on the sterile white wall into focus. 4pm. She groaned, drowsiness taking over her again. "Shit" she moaned, shifting uncomfortable in the bed, bandage rubbing awkwardly on her smooth skin.
"Shit indeed" came a deep voice from the shadows.
"I didn't know you were here" she muttered to the older man.
"You thought wrong for once."
"I could take that as a complement" she shot back.
"It wasn't one" he said angrily.
"What did I do to piss you off today Tony, apart from the usual"
"Oh, I dunno. I thought you liked getting shot, considering how often it happens" he said sarcastically, raising his voice.
"Oh aye, it's a hobby of mine. I like the rush it gives me" she replied, hurt at his accusations. In her anger, she squeezed Chris' hand tighter, making him groggily open his eyes.
"Mac" he cried. "You're awake"
"Yes" she said shortly, pressing her hand into his even more. "Thank you honey"
"Any time sweet cheeks" he said, kissing her roughly yet gently on the lips.
"Sweet cheeks?" she asked with a laugh.
"Sorry, I'm sleep deprived" he said, slumping back into the recliner.
"Join the club" quiet voice came from the door. "I didn't know you were awake" Kate said, moving over to the bed. When she moved, Mac saw she also had a small figure with her. Matt cowered in the doorway, a look of sadness and confusion plastered on his face.
"Come here honey" Mac encouraged him, holding out her arms in a welcoming manner. After a small pause, Matt ran over and Mac attempted to lift him up onto her bed. She succeeded, but painfully. Matt threw his little arms round her neck and held on for dear life. "It's all ok" she whispered happily in his ear when she felt he droplets soak through her hospital gown.

A few weeks later Mac was at home, but still had a while before she could go on active duty. Ducky had taken the previous week to look after Mac, much to her annoyance. It was agreed that Mac was able to nearly do everything that she had to do. She was pissed that everyone was treating her like a baby, but she was told I wasn't up to her. She lounged about the apartment for the past few days, and today was no different, except for the fact that she gave in. With nothing interesting to entertain her, she decided to visit an old friend.

She arrived outside the house and walked up the front path. Sarah Sciuto did not intimidate easily, but she was nervous for some reason. Gibbs was an old friend, but still her boss. She let out a sigh before knocking on the wooden door. After a few minutes the silver haired man reluctantly opened the door. He looked tired, and was only wearing a pair of boxer shorts. His muscled chest showed sweat as he groggily rubbed his eyes. He was shocked to find the beautiful woman a his door, but even more shocked when she flashed him her famous smile and attempted to hug him. It was awkward, but more painful on the female side of it. "Mac, are you ok?" he asked concerned, slipping his arms under hers and taking most of her weight, leading her into the house.
"Yeah, just a little sore" she lied.
"Ok. It's great to see you, but I'm kind of busy" he admitted guiltily.
"Oh ok." She said disappointed. "I was bored and thought I'd drop by and check in"
"Your dad said you were shot. Again"
"Ah, yeah" she laughed it off. "I am ok though" she assured him.
"Jethro?" a female voice came from behind Mac. Mac knew what she would find, but turned around anyway.
"Director" she said through gritted teeth. "Nice to see you again. Don't mind me. I'm just leaving" she said, trying her best not to laugh at the current situation.
"I am not the Director of NCIS anymore" she told Mac, positioning herself in the doorframe, only a sheet covered her body and her short hair was all over the place. Gibbs looked embarrassed, a site Mac had never witnessed before. "And please call me Jenny Sarah"
"As long as you call me Mac" she compromised. "Well Gibbs" Mac said with a smile "I'm going now. Have fun. I'm sure you already have" she said, winking at him.
"That's not funny" he said, leading her to the door.
"Oh hell yeah it is. And Gibbs, how's the 6th divorce coming? "
"Fine" he said, gritting his teeth.
"No, but seriously. You have been married more times than I have been shot, and that's saying something, considering how often I get shot."
"Goodbye Sarah" he said, shutting the car door behind her.
"Bye Jethro" she said, calling him ‘Jethro' for the first time.
"Don't push your luck" he told her, walking back to his front door.
"Yes Sir" she said, mock saluting. She fired up the engine and headed straight back home.
Chapter 11 by no1bean
Chapter 11

Another week later Mac was back at the hospital before retuning to work. She buttoned up her shirt over the new bandage Chris had given her and stood up. "Bye honey, see ya later" she said, giving his a kiss on the lips and squeezing past another doctor to exit the room.
"Chris did you hear?" she asked. "Mr. Jackson woke up"
"Gerald?" Mac said, popping her head back round the door.
"Yes. Do you know him?"
"Yeah. Is he still in the same room?" she asked, excitement in her voice.
"Um, yes. His family is in now, but I'm sure you can see him"
"Hey, thanks doc" she said, running off down the hall.

She burst through the door to see Gerald sitting up on his bed. "Gerald!" Mac yelled running over and giving him a hug Abby would be proud of.
"Hey Mac" he said groggily.
"Are you ok?" she said, pulling back to look at him.
"Um, I don't know. I think I will be though" he told her as she climbed off of him.
"I'm sorry Gerald this is all my fault."
"Don't apologize, it's a sign of weakness" he said, kissing her on the forehead. "Did you get him?"
"Yup. Tony stabbed him in interrogation, but it was Mrs. Mallard who allowed us to bring him in"
"Seriously?"
"Oh yeah"
"Now I am sad I missed that." He said and she let out a little laugh. Although he had no recollection of the last few months, he knew somewhere inside that he had missed her. All his old feeling suddenly hit him in a flash. Mac now turned away from Gerald and towards his family. Just in time in fact because she once again missed the longing look the tall man laid upon her.
"Hello Mrs. Jackson, nice to meet you" Mac said, extending a friendly hand. Gerald's mother just stared at it, before taking a step forward. She quickly brought her right hand up and smacked it across Mac's face. "You did not just slap me" Mac said, pretty shocked.
"Mum!" Gerald cried.
"You getting shot is all this bitch's fault"
"Do not call her a bitch" Gerald hissed at his mother.
"Yeah, maybe so. But I admitted that and I think Gerald forgives me" Mac said, shooting daggers at the shorter woman.
"And it's not a good thing to assault a woman who can kill you 15 different ways with a paperclip" came Chris' voice from the door.
"Another excellent point" Mac said, turning her attention to her husband.
"Hey man" Gerald greeted him, shaking his hand.
"Can I borrow Mac for a minute?"
"Of course"
"Wait, what if Mac doesn't want to be borrowed?" she interrupted.
"Sorry, can I talk to you for a minute?" Chris corrected himself.
"Better" she said, seductively pulling both sides if his lab coat until they were both out of the room. Gerald evaded his eyes and looked down sadly. Chris was a good friend and a great guy, but Gerald couldn't help being jealous of him. When he looked up again, he saw his brother looking at him with a big grin on his face to say ‘Ooh, now I know who your crush was'. Outside, Chris and Mac sat down on a vacant bench.
"First off, you shouldn't have ran and jumped like that, you aren't back to full strength yet"
"Sorry hun, I was excited"
"Yeah, I know, but I want you to be ok."
"Aw, so sweet" she said, giving him a quick kiss on the lips.
"And second, we still on for weekend away this weekend?"
"If you call your high school reunion a weekend away then yeah"
"Flights to New Orleans leaves Friday night at 7 from Dulles, reunion is on Saturday night."
"Tony watching Matt?"
"Yeah, and we get the twins when they go away in a fortnight"
"Great, can't wait. Now I gotta get to work before Tony gets himself all worked up again"
"Bye, see you tonight"
"And Chris, keep an eye on Gerald for me"
"Anything" she said as he watched her enter the elevator and disappear from sight.
Chapter 12 by no1bean
Chapter 12

That weekend Chris and Mac walked out of the New Orleans international airport. It was a hot day when they arrived at the hotel. They were shown to their room and Mac collapsed on the bed and Chris placed his bag down. "I have to go register this afternoon then we have the actual reunion tonight."
"Ok. I need a shower" she said abruptly.
"Why waist the water by taking two in one day Mac?" she said, giving her a cheeky grin.
"Now that, is a very good point" she said, placing a hand on his shirt and pulling him down on top of her.

2 hours later Chris left the room and went to register at his old high school. Mac jumped out of the bed and walked to the bathroom. She turned the shower on and waited patiently for the water to run hot. When it did she stepped in and let the water flow over her dark hair. For some reason she was nervous; she didn't like reunions. Her 10 year one had been disastrous. She had threatened half of the bitches in her year and followed through with one. Chris had missed his 10 year reunion because they were living in Scotland at the time, so his 20 was important. She didn't make a good first impression and she had a bad feeling that it would all go downhill.

Chris stepped into the old gym and all of high school hit him like a wave. There was hustle already going on as he made his way over to the desk that as set up against the back wall. "Yeah, I'm here to register for the reunion tonight" he said politely, but the woman didn't even look up.
"Name?" she grunted at him.
"Christopher Sciuto." He said, looking at the list upside down.
"Ok…wait. Chris Sciuto?" she said, looking up into his green eyes.
"Yeah." He said, studying her face. "Melissa Hunter?" a slight recognition crossing his mind.
"Yes. You remember me!" she said, face lighting up.
"Of course. Did you organize the reunion?"
"Yeah" she said a sheepish grin on her face.
"Well I know it'll be good then. I'll see you tonight." He said, flashing her his smile.
"It is at my brother's club. He let me use it. Are you coming alone?"
"No, my wife will be with me tonight."
"Oh, ok" she said, trying to hide the disappointment in her voice. "What is her name?"
"Sarah, Sarah Sciuto" he said, grinning proudly. "I'll talk to you later. Bye." He said, turning and leaving again as Melissa watched and gazed after him longingly. Chris was a little shocked when a weak grasp grabbed his arm. Usually he would have reacted the way Mac had taught him, but considering this was a high school, he restrained himself. Chris spun around to see a little man in wire-rimmed glasses clutching his arm. "C-Chris, it's D-Danny" he said, his brown eyes glowing.
"Ahh, hi Danny" he said reluctantly. Danny practically stalked Chris through high school. He was the resident high school nerd, caption of the chess club and straight ‘A' student. To top off the torment he was already facing, he had a bad stutter, which obviously had not disappeared.
"H-h-how are you?" he said, and hastily removed his hand from Chris' arm when she saw Chris give him a look.
"Fine. I am in a rush. Are you going to the reunion?"
"Y-yes. I w-will see y-you there then?"
"Um, yeah. Talk to you then. Bye" Chris said, shaking his off and heading back to his car.

Mac heard the door open and knew her husband had returned. Tingles shot through her body as he placed his hand on her smooth lower back. She moaned as he kissed her neck, his head brushing against her damp hair. She leaned her head so it was touching his before taking his arms and wrapping them around her waist. "Did it go well?" she asked and he still kissed her exposed flesh.
"Hmm hmm" he said without moving.
"Good, well I better get ready if I am gonna make a good impression."
"You look just fine to me" he said, resting his head in the curve of her neck.
"Well you are easy to please" she joked. "Damn, I hate having to wear a dress" she muttered to herself.
"I think you look better without it" he said, moving over to the bathroom door.
"That's sweet but I don't think your old high school friends would appreciate it."
"Well you never know" he said, looking at her again. "You know what, the shower can wait" he said, jumping on top of her once more and pulled her onto the bed.
"Chris" she chuckled. "I just had a shower and you said not to waste the water."
"We wont, you can share mine" he said, pulling his shirt over his head and tossing it onto the floor.

"Zip me please" Mac asked him 3 hours later. Her black dress fell just past her knees and had a little slit up the right leg. He brushed her long straight hair over her left shoulder and brought the zip up from the small of her back to her shoulder blades.
"You look beautiful" he whispered in her ear.
"Not too shabby yourself" she said, looking at his black suit. He wore no tie, and the top button of his white shirt was undone. The black trousers and jacket suited him, almost as much as the black dress suited her.
"We ready?" he asked as she spun round to face him.
"Yeah. Lets go" she said, sliding her hand into his and walking out the door.

Chris pulled the car into a vacant space and both he and Mac exited. He once again took her hand as the walked up to the entrance. It was dark already when they joined the nearly nonexistent queue. Chris let out a deep breath as they entered the lit hallway. "Are you ok?" she asked, sensing him tense up.
"Yeah, just a little nervous. High school was not my favourite time."
"Yeah, join the club" she said surveying her surroundings. The staircase was in front of her which led down to a big room. The bar was a circular form in the middle of the club and the place was already buzzing with people.
"Hello" an older woman said, popping up in front of Chris. She looked to Mac like a slightly batty primary school teacher but her thoughts were broken when she spoke again. "You can out your coats in that room over there!" she said over the music.
"Thanks" Chris replied. "Give me your coat and I'll put it away" he said in Mac's ear.
"Nah, it's ok. I'll get it. Go downstairs, I'll find you in a minute." she said, taking his back coat from him and slipping her hand out of his, heading where the teacher had pointed. She saw Chris head down the stairs and into the crowd. "This is gonna be a long night" she muttered to herself.
Chapter 13 by no1bean
Chapter 13

Mac descended the stairs to find Chris already amerced in a crowd of other guys. She let out a chuckle at her husbands popularity and opted to check out the bar. She sat down on a stool beside 2 other woman and ordered a coke. The barman was younger than her with long blond hair and brown eyes. He only beat out Mac by a few inches in the height department as he nodded at her order and turned around to pour it. Mac turned to the two other people at the bar. They both wore dresses, like herself, and both had a glass in their hands. The one standing with her back to the bar and leaning against the bar itself had short blond hair and wore a baby blue dress. The other was sitting, also back to the bar, in a purple dress which fell to the floor had shoulder length, light brown hair. Both contrasted to Mac's solid black attire. The baby blue seemed weak compared to the black number and the light hair was the opposite to Mac's long dark brown. Mac's onset was once again accented by the eyeliner and mascara highlighting her deep blue eyes. In Chris' own words, she was "A sight for sore eyes." She turned back to the barman when she heard a glass placed on the wooden bar top. "Thanks. What do I owe you?"
"Ah, this first one is on the house for a beautiful woman." He said, plastering on a smile.
"That's sweet, but I'm married." She told him, placing her left hand on the bar.
"That doesn't matter," he said, moving closer to Mac.
"I would take it." The brunette started. "A free drink from my little brother is a rare thing,."
"Well ok then. Toda." She thanked him, picked up the glass with a smile. "So you know this place?" she asked the other woman.
"Yeah. My brother, who is also the barman tonight, owns this club. I organized the reunion and he said I can use it. I'm Melissa Hunter." She said, sticking out a hand. "What can I call you my Scottish friend?" she asked, picking up on her accent.
"Mac" she said, shaking her hand.
"And this is Annie." Melissa introduced her blond friend.
"Hey." Mac greeted her, also shaking her hand.
"Welcome to the geek-squad." She aid embarrassed. "We understand if you want to leave and join the ‘popular' girls." She told Mac, not making eye contact but instead looked at her shoes.
"Nah, I'm a geek and right at home." She said with a smile.
"No, look at you. What kind of geek are you then?" she asked suspiciously. "Maths? Band? Science? English?" she asked, placing her hands on her hips.
"All of the above, and don't doubt me. I really am."
"OK then." She backed off; a little threatened by Mac's commanding tone. "So I take it you are here with someone. I would remember if you came to this school. Someone that geeky." She joked. Mac let out a laugh before replying.
"Yeah, I am here with my husband. Ch…" Mac began but was interrupted.
"Oh my god look." Annie spoke for he first time. "It's Nikki Horton."
"Who?" Mac asked, spinning around and following Mac's line of sight.
"Used to be the most popular girl in school. Dated the greatest guy that ever lived and didn't deserve a bit of him." Melissa told her, and Mac picked up the jealous tone in her voice. She caught where both women were staring and spotted the woman, but was still puzzled to why they were jealous. Nikki Horton could have been pretty if she hadn't been plastered in makeup. She was slightly chubby, but Mac had the feeling she hadn't been in high school. The two women had their faces as the blond approached the bar. Mac also turned round and took a swig from her glass. Mac could feel Nikki Horton breathing down the back of her neck.
"Can I help you with something?" Mac asked without turning round.
"Move." She said as if she had control.
"How ‘bout no?" Mac said, turning round to face her,
"I am going to the bar." She said, attempting to stare Mac down.
"That's nice to know." She told her, sarcastically feigning interest. "Well go do it over there." She said, pointing to an open spot in the bar.
"I said move now bitch!" she yelled, trying to gain control. Mac snapped and jumped up from her stool. Mac grabbed her arm and twisted it behind Horton's back., slamming her onto the bar face first.
"I am fully capable and in the mood to kick the shit out of you [i]bitch[/i]"
"What the fuck!" she screamed, but was not heard over the music.
"Do not piss me off. Are we clear?" she asked, but found no reply. She pulled her arm tighter. "Are we clea…"
"Crystal!" she interjected with a hiss.
"Good" Mac said, letting her go. The three of them watched as she disappeared back into the crowd.
"Wow. You just did what I wanted to do for 25 years." Melissa stuttered.
"What can I say, subtlety isn't my best feature." She said, sitting down again and taking another drink. "So, who was her boyfriend in school that you were in love with?" she asked, looking Melissa in the eye.
"The captain of the hockey team. The hottest, sweetest and coolest guy that I ever met. Chris Sciuto." She said dreamily and Mac only just managed to stop herself from spraying her drink all over the bar."
"You had a crush on him?" Mac asked a sly smile on her face.
"No, I did actually physically love him. But he never gave me a second look." She told Mac disappointed.
"I'm sure that's not true." Mac said, trying not to choke.
"Well not in any other way than a friend. And I'll bet Nikki is gonna try and get him back tonight."
"Damn, I'm glad I brought my gun." Mac muttered under her breath.
"What?" Annie asked.
"Nothing, continue." Mac recovered, gesturing towards Melissa.
"Well I got up my courage and I was gonna finally tell him. But he has a bloody wife. I don't know why I am surprised though."
"Well that sucks for you." Mac said, not sure how to reply.
"Urg, I bet she is one of the popular girls. You know. 6 foot, long blond hair, practically anorexic." Melissa scoffed.
"Nah, I don't think so" Mac suggested. "I think he would go for brunettes."
"Oh shit, he's coming over." Melissa shrieked in excitement. "Play it cool. She told herself, turning back to the bar.
"I was right." Mac said to herself. "This is gonna be a very long night."
Chapter 14 by no1bean
Chapter 14

Chris stepped up to the bar and ordered a beer, just as Mac placed her empty glass down. Unseen to the other 2 girls, he placed a hand on her lower back as he leaned on the bar. "And another drink for the pretty lady" he added flashing Mac his smile, which she returned.
"Same again?" the bartender asked.
"Um, no. Gimme a beer as well please."
"Hate to tell you honey" he whispered in her ear, "But you don't drink"
"And I hate to tell you," she replied, shifting so her mouth was next to his ear, "But I have had to sit through half an hour of them bitching about me and talking about how they want to fuck you senseless. "
"Are you sure one is enough?" he asked, back to normal volume, and Mac let out a little laugh. "How are we today ladies?" he asked, turning his attention to Melissa and Annie. He didn't get an answer, but instead received a wave of nervous giggles.
"Oh, Christ. I've gone back to high school." Mac muttered, taking a swig of her drink.
"And just so you know," Chris began, once again whispering to his wife, "I have been fucked senseless before, and it's not so bad." He told her with a smirk.
"What? When?" she asked, making Annie and Melissa turn.
"By you every damn time." He said and kissed her on the cheek, making her laugh.
"Well, I'll see you guys later." He turned just as a little man brushed past him.
"Hi C-Chris." He squealed excited.
"Hey Danny." Chris said, staying at the bar and taking a long drink of his beer.
"H-hi hun." He said, kissing Annie."
"Whoa, I did not see that one coming." Chris admitted. "You two got married?" he asked, spotting the rings.
"Yeah, 15 years next month," Annie told him.
"Well congrats" Mac said to them.
"T-thank you" he stuttered.
"So Mac," Chris started. "Excepting drinks from weird men now are we?" he joked, referring to her free drink from the barman earlier.
"Only you Chris." She winked at him, making him laugh. Mac felt Melissa melt behind her and let out a sigh. Reliving high school was not what she wanted, but it seemed unavoidable.
"Dance?" she heard Chris ask.
"Love to." She replied, and Chris took her hand, leading her to the dance floor. He spun her round before pulling her into a dancing position, extremely close to him.
"Care to explain?"
"The giggling school girls? Well I sat down and they started worshiping the ground you walked on. I introduced myself…"
"I can tell where this is going." He interrupted. "Did you introduce yourself as Mac?"
"Yeah. Well anyway, I attempted to tell them we were married but I didn't get it out before they were talking about you, high school and then bitching about me, unbeknown to them I was sitting right there."
"Ouch. You didn't tell them?" he asked, spinning her again.
"Please, I couldn't get a word on." She shook her head.
"What is it?" he asked, sensing something on her mind.
"Would you do me a favour?" she asked, biting her lip.
"Anything for you." He replied, curiosity growing.
"Ask Melissa to dance."
"What's in it for me?" he asked, after considering his options and decided to milk it.
"I could shoot you if you like?" Mac asked cheerily.
"Is that your solution to everything?"
"Pretty please?" she flashed a puppy dog smile.
"Fine. But you know I don't like you wearing a gun in public."
"I know, it makes me more prone to using it but…"
"No, it means I have more to take off you when we get home."
"Funny. How ‘bout I do ya a deal?"
"I'm listening" he told her in a sing-song tone.
"You dance with her ad when we get back to the hotel, I will take the gun off and let you take off the rest." She said with a smirk.
"When we get back to the hotel, I take it all off, including the sig," he suggested, raising his eyebrows.
"You are a truly strange man. Deal" she said, right on cue as the current song ended. "Chris, wait a bit s it doesn't look like I asked you.
"You are so kind, but try not to make pimping me out a regular occurrence."
"Oh, but it pays so well." She pouted as he escorted her back to the bar,
"Wait." He stopped and whisked her in the other direction.
"Why?" she asked, confused at where he was now leading her.
"I want you to meet a friend of mine."
"Sounds fun." She told him, brushing past as older man why she took to be an old teacher. As she passed she caught a snippet of his conversation.
"It's exactly what I have been saying all these years," he explained to another male teacher, "Woman are only useful for housework and sex." He started as if it was obvious. Mac wanted to correct him with a sly academic debate or a fist in the face, but another scene is not what she needed right now.
"Ignore him." Chris whispered to her, sensing the hostility.
"Don't worry I am." She told him.
"Mac this is…" he began, approaching a dark haired man.
"Agent MacDonald." He said, pure loathing in his voice.
"Jack walker." She replied, just as spiteful.
"Put anyone else's father in jail lately?"
"Yeah, none a fun as yours though." She told him with a striking glare.
"Chris, what are you doing associating with this bitch?" he asked, turning to him. Chris opened his mouth to retaliate, but Mac placed a soothing hand on his muscled chest.
"Don't, it's not worth it." She assured him, and he believed the look in her eyes. "Come on." She said, pulling him back in the direction of the bar. They again passed the older man who was still ranting on the inferiority of woman.
"Coach, always was a prick."
"Chris, I am starting to like your school less and less. No offence."
"None taken." He was bale to squeeze in as Mac sat down on a stool and he was accidentally separated from her as a crowd swept him away.
Chapter 15 by no1bean
Author's Notes:
final chapter in slai, sequel coming soon
Chapter 15

Mac spun around on the stool to meet the glare of Melissa Hunter. "So you already know Chris." She snarled.
"No shit Sherlock… oh that's back, ok." She said to herself.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"You never asked." Mac told her, picking up her abandoned beer and taking a drink. "Can I ask," she started, changing the subject, "What is with that bastard over there?" she indicated to the coach.
"Sexist pig, no one was ever good enough not even Chris. I think he was the only person to ever make him feel down." She said, and Mac picked up on the sadness in her voice.
"Prick" she muttered into her bottle, out of the corner of her eye she saw Chris approaching, and she knew why. Melissa didn't see him coming so was startled when he leaned on the bar next to her.
"Would you like to dance Melissa?" he asked in a cheery voice.
"Yeah!" she giggled excitedly. Chris offered her a hand which she took and she led him out onto the dance floor in anticipation. On the way, Chris managed to whisper in Mac's ear.
"Do you now know the meaning of the word inappropriate?" she called after him with a grin on her face. Mac was left alone at the bar with Annie, who had not said much all night and Mac had the feeling she wasn't about to start. Chris spun Melissa around as he had done Mac and pulled her into a dancing position. She wasn't as natural to dance with as Mac, but then everything seemed natural with her. He picked up on Melissa's nervousness and laughed it off. Mac caught his eye from across the crowded room and smiled a smile which made him weak at the knees.
"So what have you been up to?" Melissa asked, breaking his thoughts.
"Oh, became a doctor. I have the chief of medicine at Alexander Hospital in Virginia. Um, married. But you knew that. And I have one son."
"What is his name?" she asked interested.
"Matt. And how about you?"
"Um, I am teaching maths here. Still single" she laughed off with remorse. "Doesn't seem much compared to your line up."
"What can I say, I have had a lot of luck." He said, trying not to gloat. He twirled her again as he tried to focus.

Coach Phil Sparrow was a big man. Standing at 6' 2" and weighing over 300 pounds he intimidated all of his students. The whole faculty and students knew his feelings towards the opposite sex. He felt that woman were men's personal positions and were only useful for 2 things; housework and sex. He wasn't a nice man; all the students and teachers hated him, with good reason. On the verge of being sued for sexual harassment he was not the most popular man on campus. But his feelings were, if he didn't even try to get some action, the night would be a waste. He scanned the area, looking for a woman who would please him. Almost when he had given up hope he spotted her. There were 2 women at the bar, one of whom he recognized from her educational days, but the other was new to him. She was stunning. Long brown hair fell down her back as slight makeup accentuated her features. Her black dress moved with the contours of her body as she shifted in her seat. Coach Sparrow pushed his way through the crowd, not taking his eyes off the beautiful woman. She fidgeted a little as he moved closer as if sensing something. But he knew he had won. She was his.

A shiver ran down Mac's back as she sat at the bar. Something was going to happen, she knew that much, but couldn't tell what. She felt a large hand clatter down on her shoulder as and pain shot down her arm. She spun to see the sexist man from earlier. He was panting as Mac stared, trying to predict what he was going to do next. He lifted her up, despite the struggling and slammed her on to the bar, attempting to stick his tongue down her throat. Mac managed to knee him in the groin before a set of strong arms dragged him off of her.

Chris was still dancing with Melissa, ‘God this is a long song' he thought. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the old coach push through the crowd towards the bar. "So still an alcoholic then" he muttered.
"What?" Melissa asked confused.
"Nothing." Chris nodded it off. As they changed direction, Chris felt the rage build up inside him. Coach put his hand on Mac's shoulder and moved her onto the bar. Chris almost snapped Melissa's wrist when he kissed her. He let go of her and charged through the crowd, yanking Sparrow off Mac just as she kicked him in the groin. Chris spun him around and slammed him up against the wall, a strong hand squeezing Sparrow's throat. "You bastard I am gonna kill you" he tightened his grip. Sparrow's face grew redder by the second as the younger man crushed his neck.
"Chris" a female voice called and he felt a warm hand placed on his arm. The get the message and slowly released his grip. His hand fell to his side and an ashamed look crept onto his face,
"Ha!" Sparrow spat, "After all these years you are still sissy Sciuto. You have to get a woman to do your bidding!" he sneered with disgust. He was stopped in his tracks when the muzzle of a sig saur was pressed extremely close to his forehead.
"The only reason I stopped him from murdering our with his bear hands was because it means more paperwork for me." She hissed. Mac's arm was fully extended and she stood almost side on to Sparrow as she glared at him. "So piss off and get some fucking help." She said, moving the gun a few inches to the right and squeezing ff a round, which flew past his left ear and stuck in the wooden wall. Mac's arm fell to her side as her husband's had, and she left Sparrow with fear coursing through him.
"Did you know you are hot when you are angry?" Chris asked her with a smile. Mac moved towards him and pressed her lips to his. Her right hand, still clutching the gun, fell over his broad shoulder as he placed one of his round her waist. Mac was distracted, so the gun was easily ripped from her grasp. She felt her sig wrenched away so she broke the kiss and Chris whirled round to see what cause the commotion, which in turn opened up Mac's view. Melissa Hunter held the sig leveled at Mac's head.
"Melis…" Chris began but she cut him off.
"Don't, I loved you…"
"What?" he said, he knew she had a crush on him, but obviously not the extent.
"I looked u to you. And now I find out you are just an adulteress bastard like this whore." She shook the gun at Mac. "What is with people calling me a whore!" Mac jumped in. "You remember the guy and the welcome back party thing? He called me a whore and attempted to shoot me too. They must come together." She told Chris casually.
"Hmm true. You aren't a whore though." He replied.
"Thank you." She nodded with a smile.
"Stop!" Melissa shrieked.
"Um, put the gun down." Mac told her slowly, but didn't get an answer. Mac let out a sigh and walked towards Melissa. She attempted to pull the trigger, but Mac placed her hand on the barrel and took it from her. "You have to take the safety off" Mac told her with a smile, re-holstering her sig.
"Melissa," Chris began, taking Mac's hand. "I believe you have met my wife, Sarah Sciuto." And the both watched as a look of shock crossed her face.
"Hey," Mac said, giving a little sarcastic wave.
"I think we should leave." Chris told Mac,
"You sure?"
"Yeah." He said, giving her a small kiss before leading her to the door.

Mac and Chris lay asleep in bed back in their hotel room. They were both facing the same way, Chris' knees were slotted into the back of hers, a perfect fit. His hand grasped hers and both draped over her waist. A high pitched tone woke Mac up, but not her husband. She felt around for her phone and after 3 attempts found it. The brought the blue LED panel up to her eyes and squinted at the caller ID. "Ah DiNozzo." She muttered. "Sciuto." She answered groggily.
"Mac"
"Ah Tony, this better be extremely important, it's 3AM." She said, screwing her eyes up.
"We have a case, need you"
"DiNozzo. My flight is this morning, can't it wait?"
"No, body in Shenandoah Park."
"Again? That is 2 in 2 months,"
"Yeah, I need you ASAP."
"Where have I heard that before?" she attempted to joke.
"Mac you don't understand. The body… it's Sarah McGee." Mac let out a sigh.
"I'll be there soon." She said, sliding her phone shut.

The End
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1981