Too Close For Comfort by no1bean
Summary: when sarah mcgee is murdered, the team try and track down her killer. but with the discovery of some condemming evidence and mcgee on their backs, mac and tony have big task ahead. it doesn't help with someone turns on them in a time of need. story 5 in the mac series, sequel to Sex, Lies and Interrogation. forst in the series, The Secret Daughter
Categories: Het Characters: None
Genre: Action, Case, Drama, Established relationship, Friendship, Series
Pairing: DiNozzo/Kate, Abby/McGee, Other Pairing
Warnings: Disturbing imaginery, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 13801 Read: 52366 Published: 09/09/2007 Updated: 03/02/2008
Story Notes:
this is story 5 in the mac series. i suggest you read the otehrs forst for this to make sense. the first is The Secret Daughter. enjoy!

1. Too Close For Comfort by no1bean

2. Chapter 2 by no1bean

3. Chapter 3 by no1bean

4. Chapter 4 by no1bean

5. Chapter 5 by no1bean

6. Chapter 6 by no1bean

7. Chapter 7 by no1bean

8. Chapter 8 by no1bean

9. Chapter 9 by no1bean

10. Chapter 10 by no1bean

11. Chapter 11 by no1bean

12. Chapter 12 by no1bean

Too Close For Comfort by no1bean
Author's Notes:
when sarah mcgee is murdered, the team try and track down her killer. but with the discovery of some condemming evidence and mcgee on their backs, mac and tony have big task ahead. it doesn't help with someone turns on them in a time of need.

story 5 in the mac series, sequel to Sex, Lies and Interrogation. forst in the series, The Secret Daughter
this is story 5 in the mac series. i suggest you read the otehrs forst for this to make sense. the first is The Secret Daughter. enjoy!

Chapter 1

"Mac?" Chris groggily awoke and felt the still warm but empty side of the bed. He squinted around to find his beautiful wife next to the chest of drawers. She pulled on a pair of jeans and a turquoise t-shirt over her black underwear and strapped on her shoulder holsters. She armed her weapons and slid a sig sauer into each holster as Chris sat up. "What's going on?" he asked confused, spotting her packed bag.
"Sarah McGee was found dead in Shenandoah park this morning." She told him in a low, solemn voice.
"Oh shit. Seriously?"
"Yeah. DiNozzo called, said I was needed there ASAP. There is an F-14 leaving from NAS JRB in 1 hour. The General said I can hop a ride to Andrews riding back-seat, pilot's RIO is sick." She said, still in a low voice, slipping a black suit jacket over her t-shirt and adjusting the collar.
"Do you know how?" he asked, rubbing his eyes.
"To backseat? Of course. Remember I have my pilot's license. You are still on our original flight. Leaves at 0900. I'll see you back at home honey." She said, gliding over to the bedside. She kissed him passionately, leaning on the bed as he placed a warm hand on her back. The both ended the kiss at the same time and she straightened up, threw her bag over her back and headed for the door.
"Mac," he stopped her.
"Yes?"
"Tell Tim I'm sorry." He asked. She could see the sadness in his face. Mac nodded before walking out of the door and shutting it behind her.

Mac stepped out of the tomcat and onto the tarmac that was Andrews Air Force Base. Cmdr Degas, the F-14 pilot, also climbed out of the plane and jumped down beside her. "I never thought a fed would be so good at flying," he smiled a cheeky, handsome grin. Jonathon Degas was your typical navy pilot; handsome, smart, arrogant, competitive and completely unaware o his own limits. Despite all that, Mac still got the feeling he was a good guy. He had taken an instant shine to her, but backed off when he found out she was married, and when she told him she could kill him 18 different ways with a paper clip, although that did turn him on. "I hope we get to fly again sometime."
"Just under better circumstances John. Thanks again."
"Any time." He told her, shaking her extended hand.
"Agent Sciuto!" a male voice called over the runway. She finished removing her flight suit and spun to see a man leaning against a dark blue sedan. He was about 6 feet tall and had short, mousy brown hair. His brown eyes were covered by black shades and he stuck his left hand into his trench coat to retrieve the car keys.
"Pullman, how are ya?" she yelled over the noise of the planes.
"Ok, I wish I could say the same for the director." He hung his head.
"Me too. Where are the keys?" she held out a hand for deliverance.
"Um, ma'a…" he stopped, seeing the look on her face. "Agent Sciuto, I think it is bette if I drive."
"Keys!"
"I think…"
"I am senior field agent Probie, hand ‘em over!" and he reluctantly did so. She pulled out her jacket and once again put it on over the t-shirt and shoulder holsters. Mac threw herself and slid over the car bonnet and clambered through the driver's side door. She pulled on her seatbelt and slammed on the accelerator, waving at Degas as she left the base. Pullman attached himself to the door handle as Mac skidded round the corner.
"Slow down!" he shrieked, which only made her press her foot down harder.

Mac ducked under the police tape in Shenandoah Park and flashed her badge at the young LEO, Pullman on her six. "Mac." Came Tony's voice out of the trees.
"Where is he DiNozzo?" she interrupted him.
"Who?" he asked innocently.
"You know damn well who" she raised her eyebrows.
"Up there" he pointed to the left of where Mac had just come from.
"Thanks. Be back soon" she told him, and ran back, leaving Pullman with Tony.

"How you holding up?" she asked, sitting down on the back of the sedan.
"Not so good." McGee replied, staring into his coffee cup.
"I'm sorry McGee." She said, turning to look at him.
"Me too Mac. She had her whole life ahead of her and it was just…" he couldn't finish.
"I know Tim. Chris sends his condolences."
"He is a good man and I appreciate it." He said, sill not looking at her.
"You do know it is better if you sit this one out and let us handle it?"
"Mac, I wanna help."
"I know McGee, but still. I know you would be professional and I trust you on that to the highest level, but you know lawyers. They will looks for any out. When we get a conviction, when not if" she reiterated, "then they can plead you compromised evidence because it is your sister. And we both know you know that." She said, placing a comforting hand on his knee.
"I think you are right, like always." He attempted to joke. "There is no one I trust more to do this than you and Tony. You 2 are the best we have. Closely followed by Kate" he said with a smile.
"Will you be ok?" she asked, placing her arm around his back.
"Not just now, but I will be." He told her, resting his head on top of hers.

"DiNozzo, what we got?" Mac asked, walking into the crime scene. Ducky was crouched down beside her body will Billy, the temporary ME assistant. Tony was sketching and shooting as Kate and Pullman bagged and tagged. Tony tossed the camera to Mac, who expertly caught it before turning to face him.
"Not much we jus started." He explained.
"How about you dad?" Mac asked, joining her father next to the body.
"Her liver temperature time of death, oh, about 15 hours ago. One sharp force trauma to the abdomen and her throat is also slit. The cut appears to be shallow, if it is the cause of death she would have drifted in and out of consciousness for several minutes. But you know I don't assume. I will know more when I get her back, as usual."
"Thanks anyway dad." She said as Ducky and Billy placed bags over her hands to protect evidence and hoisted her up onto the gurney. "What the hell are you doing!" she whirled around to stop Tony from separating her hair as he had already attempted to do.
"You have a cut on your head. How the hell did that happen?" he asked concerned.
"Lets just say," she spoke slowly, deciding how to work the sentence which she spoke in the same manner. "Headboards are dangerous objects during rigorous activity." She said with a grin.
"I really did not need to know that," he said, regretting the question and screwing up his face.
"You asked." She defended.
"I know, and I shouldn't…" he started, but was interrupted by Kate yelling over to them.
"I think I found something!"
End Notes:
this is story 5 in the mac series. i suggest you read the otehrs forst for this to make sense. the first is The Secret Daughter. enjoy!
Chapter 2 by no1bean
Chapter 2

"What you got?" Mac asked, crouching next to Kate.
"Knife." She said, holding it up so they all could see.
"Looks like a marine hunting knife." Mac stated.
"Yeah." Tony agreed, "Nice find. Keep looking." He told them with a nod and they scattered.
"I'm surprised Abby isn't here my McGee's side." Mac told Tony as they continued to photograph the scene.
"Me too. I asked her if she would stay and wait for evidence, but she refused. Said she was gonna be there for her husband. But then he said ‘I love you, but could you stay here and wait for evidence, I will find my sister's killer and it would be much more help if you stayed here and did what you do best.'" He shrugged.
"Tony, look at you, you little gossip." She joked. Ducky loaded Sarah McGee onto the gurney, but Mac stopped him.
"Hold on a minute dad." She said, unzipping the half sealed body bag.
"What is it?" Tony asked, leaning over her shoulder.
"I saw something." She muttered. Attempting to not disturb the massive amounts of blood, Mac entered her pocket and pulled out a small piece of folded paper.
"What is it?" he asked quietly in her ear.
"How the hell am I supposed to know? I haven't looked at it yet." She said obviously. She unfolded the square and squinted at the writing. She came to the end at the same time as Tony and shut her eyes. "It's a suicide note." She sighed, looking up at her partner.

"No one tells the director." Mac told the other 3 team members. "NCIS investigates all suicides as murders until proven otherwise are we clear?"
"Crystal." They agreed as Ducky wheeled the body past on the gurney. Mac placed the note in an evidence bag and placed it in her inside pocket so McGee wouldn't see. They photographed and collected box loads of evidence, all amounting to many ours of work.
"DiNozzo, I am gonna ride back with the body to make sure McGee doesn't see the note."
"Good idea. See you back at base." He said, pulling out his keys..
"Yeah, later DiNozzo." She said, climbing into the autopsy van and waiting for Ducky to hoist himself in. Billy stood behind him, hoping for a front seat. Mac coughed and stuck her thumb backwards. "Back." She simply uttered and her sulked off, leaving her with a smile.

"Sarah McGee, 32." Mac began, clicking the remote. Sarah McGee's driver's license appeared on the plasma. With another click, the information was sent to the background as the picture was zoomed in on and took up most of the screen. "Found dead in Shenandoah Park early this morning by a ranger on rounds. What else do we know?" she turned to the team.
"Best selling author, followed in her brother's footsteps. Degree in English lit from Waverly university and currently supposed to be in the process of writing book number 2 in the series." Pullman read from his computer. "First depicts a young woman framed for the murder by a college cheerleader and guard after being set up to be raped." He looked for approval.
"Dj vu." Mac muttered and Tony agreed. "Worked that case years ago."
"Might wanna refresh your memory." Kate said, joining them in the centre of the bullpen. "In the book the ending was different. The woman, Susan McGavin, was murdered."
"By who?" Tony asked.
"I dunno, I lost my copy before a got to the end."
"Useful." Mac added sarcastically.
"You think this could be Rock Hollow all over again?" Tony asked Mac so only she could hear.
"I dunno, maybe." She chewed her lip. "But I hope not,"
"Me too. That is one case I would gladly forget."
"Hmm" she agreed.
"Actually his last one was quite good. Agent Tommy got some action, finally!"
"Yeah but it is set like 12 yeas ago, when Tibbs is still at NCIS." They discussed, straying off topic.
"I know, because Tony just got it on with Cam."
"Which is Mac backwards, coincidently." She said the last word carefully, but everyone knew she shared Gibbs' view on coincidences.
"But it was only a fling because he hasn't figured out he has feelings for Catherine yet."
"True. And agent Sasha Cameron is still a new hire." She said with a smirk in her voice. "Do you think in true Gemcity fashion when she gets married she will become Sutton like Amy?"
"Hmm possible." He nodded his head,
"But you never know, it could go differently, I mean, we never slept together."
"Also true." He accepted.
"Contrary to Kate's belief." She said, winking at the other woman. "My scar hurts when it rains." She smiled.
"Guilt trip and a half." She hung her head.
"Guys!" Pullman's voice cut through the commotion. "You lost me at Rock Hollow." He shook his head in confusion.
"Back to the case probie!" Tony barked as Mac slapped the back of his head. "How long have you wanted to do that to him?" he asked.
"Forever" she answered with a smile.
"Now, Ducky is doing the autopsy as we speak as Abby runs the evidence. Here are the photos from before the body was washed." Tony stated, taking the remote from Mac and pressing the middle button. "As you can see here…" he pointed but Mac caught his attention.
"Uh, DiNozzo…" she nodded towards the stairs and they all turned to see McGee standing solemnly on the staircase. "Tim are you ok?" she asked caringly as Tony pulled the pictures from the screen,
"No. not until we get the bastard who did this!" he slammed his fist into the railing.
"We will probie don't worry." Tony said softly, standing next to Mac.
"I promise you Tim we will." She assured him with a nod and he slowly returned to his office as Mac and Tony let out a sigh.

"Abby!" Mac automatically yelled as she stepped off the elevator and into the lab. But for once she heard her voice echo around the machines. "Abs?" she questioned, searching the room
"I'm in here" came a gravely voice from her desk.
"Why so quiet?" Mac asked, placing a Caf-Pow down on the surface.
"Not in the mood." She said, looking up at her sister-in-law.
"It is uber quiet in here, we need some music." Mac tried to lighten the mood.
"No" she simply said, lifting her head.
"Then how about a dirge?" Mac asked, lifting Abby's chin.
"Hmm. Ok." She gave in and slowly rose from her desk, moving past Mac towards the CD player. She lifted out the Plastic Death CD and placed it in the gun striation covered box. Abby then dug out a plastic wallet from the back of her collection and placed it in the machine. The music filled all 3 sections of the lab as Abby took a slow drink of the Caf-Pow. "That did make me feel a little better." She admitted moving away from her desk and through the pneumatic doors. "What can I do for you this crappy day sis?" she said, turning to the computers.
"I need a favour."
"Anything."
"And I need you not to tell McGee." Mac raised her eyebrows, hoping for a yes.
"That makes it harder." She grounded.
"I hate asking you to deceive your husband, but it is for his own good. Trust me it is in his best interests if he doesn't know."
"What is it?"
"Let me make it easier for you by not telling. I just need you to give me an hour alone in here."
"The lab?" Abby asked confused.
"Yeah, can you do it?"
"Of course, just give me 5 minutes to clear out."
"Thanks Abs, you are the best." Mac said, pulling her into a tight hug.
Chapter 3 by no1bean
Chapter 3

Abby exited the lab 5 minutes later. Hand in hand with the giant Caf-Pow. She stepped into the elevator and hit the button for the top floor. Director’s office.

“Ducky!” Tony called, peeking round the pneumatic doors and into the sterile room.
“I’m here.” A British accent called back.
“You got anything for me?” Tony asked, stepping up to the bench where the ME and temporary assistant were busy at work.
“Nothing good.”
“With this case nothing is going to be.” He stated, rounding the bench to face Ducky.
“Well, it appears cause of death was a combination on both wounds.” He illustrated on her body.
“Both?”
“Yes. Her throat was slit, and whilst she was bleeding out, the knife was thrust into her midsection.”
“How about time?” Tony asked, a hint of desperation in his voice.
“My estimation at the crime scene was correct, 15 hours from our arrival at the crime scene. That places it around 3pm yesterday. Which is odd for a murder of this nature, they are usually committed at night.”
“Duck,” Tony lowered his voice in an exasperated way, “Is it possible this could be a suicide?” he asked, hoping for a ‘no’.
“It is possible. Not likely, but possible.” Ducky explained.
“Ah, thanks anyway Duck.” Tony sighed, clapping the old ME on the back and exiting the way he entered.

“Tim?” Abby called quietly as she popped her head round the door to his office.
“In here.” Came a low grunt from the darkness. Abby stepped into the room and felt around for the light switch. She pulled the lever and the room was cascaded with light. McGee’s blinds were drawn and his desk was empty. Abby’s eyes found her husband lying on his couch. He wouldn’t let it show to the team, but he was a defeated man. His normally strong eyes were blotchy and red, and still a little wet. His usually formal and impeccable suit was absent a tie which Abby noticed hanging limp around his neck. The jacket was creased and when McGee sat up, he tossed it aside and left it in a bundle on his floor.
“How are you holding up honey?” Abby glided to the couch and sat down next to him.
“Not so good.” He admitted, rubbing his already irritated eyes. “I trust the team with the case, but I wanna be down there helping. I feel useless. My baby sister was murdered and I am sitting here like an idiot doing nothing and feeling sorry for myself.” The rage built up in his voice.
“No, you are not useless. There is plenty you are doing and you are in no fit state to be working.”
“I need to be Abs. I could easily sit around grieving and home and watching Oprah, but that is not me. I need to be involved.” He threw himself to his feet and started pacing.
“I know that Tim, but like you said, Sarah was killed. There is nothing you can do about that now. Except catch the guy who did it. And even though it feels like you are useless right now, you are doing what you should be. Grieving and staying out of the way. If you were down there, emotions would be flying and no work would be done. Hell, the case might even be compromised.”
“You sound like Mac. That is what she told me.” He let out a small chuckle.
“She is right. And Tim,” she joined him on the floor, “I am so sorry.” She pulled him into a tight embrace and didn’t let go.
“Thank you.” He whispered in her ear and he felt her nod.
“Sir,” Cynthia’s voice echoed from the door.
“Yes?”
“Sorry to interrupt…” she paused.
“No, it is ok.” He told her as Abby let go of him.
“Dr Mallard is here to see you.”
“Send him in.” McGee brushed his eyes, trying to dull the redness.
“Timothy my dear boy.” Ducky hobbled into the office.
“Hello Duck, what can I do for you today?” Tim scooped up his jacket, crossed to Ducky and placed it on the coat stand.
“First, my sincere apologies. I know what it is like to lose a family member so young. Staying strong is the key.”
“Thank you.” McGee nodded.
“Secondly, I am going to tell you something I probably shouldn’t. I will feel guilty but you have the right to know.”
“What is it Ducky?” McGee asked concerned. Ducky ignored Abby’s kill signs for the background and continued.
“Well, there is a chance of suicide.” He hung his head.
“What!” McGee roared outraged. “No.” he commanded.
“Listen to me a minute McGee, Mac found a suicide note in your sister’s pocket.”
“That’s not true.” McGee denied, trying to convince himself, holding back the tears.
“I am sorry.” Ducky put a withered hand on his shoulder.
“Where is Mac?” McGee asked frantically, shrugging off Ducky’s hand. He found no answer.
“She is in the lab.” Abby reluctantly explained. “From what I gather, analysing the note.”
“You knew about this?”
“Not exactly, but kind of.” Abby admitted, approaching her husband. McGee spun on his heels and slid through the door, leaving a guilty Ducky and Abby behind.

McGee crashed into the bullpen, sending Tony to his feet, “McGee…”
“Why didn’t you tell me you found a note?” he interjected, catching Tony by surprise.
“We uh….I didn’t…it was Mac’s idea.” He threw his hand out towards his partner who had just entered the bullpen.
“You would hold up terrible under torture.” She shook her head, placing a file on her desk.
“Mac…”
“I know we should have told you, but I thought it might be better if you didn’t know until we were certain.”
“Is it real?” he cut to the chase. He got different answers to his question; a resounding ‘yes’ from Tony and a ‘no’ from Mac. “Which is it?”
“No.” Mac answered first, handing the evidence bag to him.
“But this is Sarah’s signature and handwriting.” A sad and disappointing tone rang in his voice.
“I know but look.” Mac pointed to the note. “There are various inconsistencies, in the writing. The signature is legit, but some of the characters in the paragraph are not. For example, here there are capital letters in the middle of words and caps absent where they should be. Now, would you expect that from an English major and published novelist?” she raised her eyebrows.
“I still don’t get it.” McGee sighed and closed his eyes.
“If you were forced to write a suicide note by a stranger, you would naturally change the signature, handwriting or writing style to tell the authorities it was staged. Whereas is you are forced to write at gunpoint, or knifepoint in this case, by someone who knows your writing and signature, then you cant change anything major or they would notice.” A look of recognition was now spread across McGee’s face. “This note is a fake. Sarah was forced to write it by someone she knew and left us clues.”
“So the suicide was faked.” Tony reiterated.
“Yeah, it was murder, not suicide, and on some level that is better.” She turned to McGee.
“How?” he scoffed, staring at the floor.
“Because it means your sister was happy, well relatively happy to the point that she had no intention to take her own life.”
“So, now we know the how where and when…” Tony stood up,
“We just need to figure out the who and why.” Mac finished for him.
Chapter 4 by no1bean
Chapter 4

Mac and Tony pulled up in the sedan outside Sarah McGee’s apartment. They stepped out into the sun and slammed the doors simultaneously. Mac slipped on a pair of sunglasses as Tony took the lead up to the entrance. “Can I help you?” the doorman asked, heaving himself out of his leather chair with difficulty. He was at least 70, with watery blue eyes and thin white hair. His crisp uniform was mismatched with the curved stature and monotone pitch.
“No, we’re fine.” Tony replied absently, inspecting the lobby.
“Do you have an appointment?” he asked the woman, who seemed to be the more grounded of the two.
“No, we have a federal warrant.” Mac shook the white paper and held up her ID for him to see.
“Come on Sciuto, we have work to do.” Tony’s voice echoed from his new position at the other end of the lobby. Mac walked backwards for a few paces, her eyes not leaving the doorman, before turning to face her destination of the elevator. “Floor 15 here we come.” Tony muttered to no one in particular before a ringing noise signified the closing of the partition between them and the lobby. There was also a slightly obese woman in the elevator, who seemed to be a little intimidated by the man and woman, one on either side of her, passing to lean against he back wall.
“Oh come on,” he started towards his companion. “How did you do it?”
“I am not telling.” She teased, with what the woman pictured, a mischievous grin.
“Please?” he begged.
“Fine then,” she inhaled. “I put it in the wooden leg.”
“Seriously?” he was shocked.
“Yup, they never look there, and it didn’t set off the metal detectors.”
“Genius.” She heard him clap her on the back.
“It was a close call though.” And they both saw the woman in front start to perspire. “Just like the time I had to clean up all that blood before the cops came.”
“Bleach is always a handy thing to have around.” He added with a nod. It seemed the woman’s floor could not come fast enough, as when the doors finally slid open, she ran out of there faster that Asafa Powell. As soon as she was out of earshot, Mac and Tony erupted into laughter. “That has made my day.” He shook his head.
“Scaring the locals is always fun.” Mac agreed as they passed floor 12.
“Next time, I want to be the psycho killer.” He pouted as they neared their destination.
“Fine, but I get to stop at Starbucks on the way back to the Navy Yard.” She raised her eyebrows.
“Deal.” He grasped her and hand shook it firmly, just as the elevator doors slid open at floor 15.

“Whoa.” Tony exclaimed as Mac picked the lock and let the door swing open.
“I know, déjà vu.” She shook her head.
“It looks exactly like McGee old place,”
“Only messier.” Mac finished for him as the entered. “So, lets get down and dirty.” She strapped on a pair of latex gloves and pulled out a small torch. They each walked along either side of the bookcase, picking up and flicking through the books.
“So, you never did tell me how that reunion went.” He told her, still checking over the books.
“Well…” came a muffled moan around the torch held between her teeth. She let out a sigh as she removed the cold meal object and looked at her partner through the bookcase. “I an into an arrestee’s son with a grudge, was in a ‘fight’ of sorts with Chris’ bitch of an ex, hung out with a girl who was in love with him who then tried to shoot me and I was assaulted by a pervert who wanted to screw me.” She said with a sarcastic smile.
“So just a normal day for you then?”
“Yup, pretty much.” She thumbed her way through a copy of ‘Nobody True’ by James Herbert. Mac heard a small metal object fall from the book and land on the laminate flooring with a quiet ding. “It’s a key.” She stated, mainly to herself.
“To what?” Tony asked, joining her side.
“How should I know?” she turned to face him with a glare. “Lemme see.” She muttered to herself, spinning around on the spot with a finger on each hand extended in a pointing motion. “There.” She stopped after 270 degrees. Mac was pointing to a painting on the wall, framed in varnished wood. It pictured 2 lovers dancing my moonlight in what appeared to be an Italian city. The brush strokes were fine and concentrated, giving the painting a realistic look. Mac grasped the frame on either side and gently lifted it from it’s home on the wall. As she expected, there was a small black safe built into the wall.
“Ah, the good old ‘safe behind the painting’ trick.” He ran his hand along the wall, meeting the edge of the box. “And you knew to look behind it. Mac, you watch way to many movies.” He shook his head in a joking motion.
“Oh you hypocrite!” she exclaimed. “And no I don’t. I am a music kinda gal.”
“Ok then, who sang ‘Turn the Page’?”
“Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band.” She answered quickly, practically before the had finished asking. “Don’t question me on my 70’s rock knowledge.” She smiled at him.
“Damn, you are good.”
“Say, here I am, on the road again. There I am, up on the stage.
Here I go, playing star again.
There I go, turn the page.” They sang quietly together as Mac slid the key into the lock and turned. The safe door involuntarily swung open a few inches and Mac placed her fingers in the gap, yanking it open.
“Ooh, look what I got.” She waved a binder in front of Tony. “I have her manuscript.” She told him with a cheeky grin.
“Well hopefully there is something in there that can help the case.” He stated, praying more than hoping.
“It is empty in here apart form that.” Mac told him, withdrawing her head from the cold box.
“Hey Mac, check out the laptop.” They bother walked over to the desk in the corner; Mac was still humming.
“Well, a little more high tech than her brother.” She laughed.
“Turn it on then.” Tony gestured. “Come on, you’re he geek out of us.”
“You don’t know how to turn it on do ya?”
“Of course I do!”
“Been looking at internet porn again DiNozzo?”
“You are sick minded Sciuto.”
“Did you just realize?” she smirked at him before turning on the computer. “This could take a while, it’s password protected.
“Cant you just dust for prints on the keyboard?”
“DiNozzo, are you that dim? It is a computer she would have used all the keys.” She said in a sympathetic tone while he grimaced at him own stupidity. “And I think it is you who have been watching too many movies. Entrapment much?”
“Why yes, yes I have.” He said in his best Sean Connery impression. “You know, he is Scottish, just like you.” He said cheerily as Mac buried her head in her hands.
“Yes Tony, I did you really should think before you speak. Just a theory.” Tony opened his mouth to retaliate when they both heard a key scraping the lock. Mac jumped up and rushed with her partner to the door, her on one side, him on the other. With their sigs drawn. They watched as bthe door was pushed open and a man entered the apartment. He was lanky and tall; around 6’ 4” with thick brown hair and hazel eyes. He held a paper grocery bag to his chest and almost dropped it when he saw the man and woman both holding a gun to his chest.
“What are you doing in here?” he asked puzzled.
“Who are you?” Mac answered his question with one of her own.
“Brad Evlon. My, uh, friends call me mosquito.” He stuttered his life story nervously, running the words together so it sounded more like : BradEvlonmyuhfriendscallmemosquito.
“Don’t use a canon to kill a mosquito.” Tony contributed.
“What?” brad’s voice jumped an octave.
“Confucius.” Mac told him, not solving the puzzle.
“Who are you?” he asked frantically.
“NCIS” Tony let on.
“Sarah’s brother is Director there.” His bewilderment did not ease up.
“What is your connection to Miss McGee?” she asked.
Brad looked between them and explained. “I am her fiancée.”
Chapter 5 by no1bean
Chapter 5

“Fiancée,” Mac sighed, “I did not see that one coming.” She told Tony as they stood outside Starbucks.

“I don’t think McGee knew.” He took a sip of his latte.

“Oh ya think DiNozzo?” she threw her empty cup in the trash can.

“Thank you Agent Gibbs,” he began sarcastically, “But he would have told us if he did.”

“I know. You think he had something to do with this?” She asked as he followed suit, throwing his cup in the bin.

“I dunno yet, but it’s a possibility.” They started off towards the car. ‘Mosquito’ was sitting in the back seat, staring solemnly out of the window as Mac and Tony reentered the car; she behind the wheel. “Hey flyboy,” Tony turned to face him. “I would buckle up. The lady is driving and I don’t want you to die just yet.” Tony advised him as Mac let out a smile. She fastened her seatbelt before slamming on the accelerator and speeding back to the Navy Yard.

[center]-----------------------[/center]

“I put him in interrogation two.” Tony stated, entering the bullpen to find Mac already at her desk. Pullman and Kate were also at work when he sat down. “You wanna do it or shall I?” he asked, flicking his computer to ‘on’.

“Huh?” she said, not removing the pencil from between her teeth, still distracted and not looking up from whatever she as reading.

“Kate fucked your husband. The baby is Chris’, not mine.” He said with a smile which caused Kate to look up, whereas Mac didn’t budge.

“Good for her, congratulations.” She raked around through the lose pages that were splayed on her desk.

“What are you doing?”

“Reading the manuscript to see if there is anything in here to help.” She stated, still not looking to her partner, even though he was currently perched on the edge of her desk.

“Good idea, but the question still stands. Which one interrogates? Or tag team?”

“Nah, not in the mood. You do it.” She placed the pencil on the desk and pushed herself back on the chair.

“Boss.” A voice came from the corner. “I could do it.” Pullman squeaked. With this, Mac and Tony’s heads snapped up to look at the junior member of the team. She stood up and advanced on his with haste. She raised her hand and brought it sharply across the back of his head. He jerked forward as a connection was made and screwed up his face. Mac retracted her hand, blowing shortly on her palm before returning to her desk and pushing herself back into the chair.

“Thanks.” Tony began. “It saves me a journey.”

“Anytime.” She said, returning to the bundle of paper. “Hey, go do the interrogation. Call if you need me.”

“Will do.” He stood up and headed down the corridor.

“And after you are done, I think we should pay a visit to Abby!” she called after him. He threw his hand up in agreement so she could see as he began his voyage to interrogation 2.

[center]----------------------[/center]

Tony grasped the handle and yanked the door open. “Mr. Evlon,” he began, shutting the door behind him. He pulled the chair briskly down under the table and sat down slowly.

“Agent DiNozzo,” he sobbed, wiping his eyes with his fingers. “Why am I here? Am I a suspect?” he asked nervously, fidgeting with his t-shirt.

“Undecided.” Tony grunted curtly, reading the file he held in 2 hands.

“Because I didn’t kill my fiancée, I loved Sarah with all my heart.”

“Heh,” Tony grunted. “If I had a nickel for every time I heard ‘I didn’t kill them, I loved them.’ Did you know that statistically it is the lover who is the killer? Whether pre meditated, crime of passion or spur of the moment.” He stated, staring Evlon in the eye.

“No, I didn’t.” he admitted, avoiding Tony’s eyes and staring at his forehead.

“Look Brad, you don’t seem like a bad guy, just tell me what happened.” Tony clasped his hands on the desk.

“I don’t know. I can’t believe she’s gone.” He stopped talking to Tony and lowered his voice in disbelief.

“When was the last time you saw Miss McGee?” Tony asked, interrupting Evlon’s train of though.

“Um, Saturday night.” He answered, looking at his reflection on the shiny black table.

“You didn’t see her all of yesterday?” Tony asked questioningly.

“No, I was staying out of town at a buddy’s to watch the football game.” He explained regrettably.

“Your buddy have a name?” Tony pulled out his PDA.

“Drew Moore. Lives out in Maryland.” He told Tony, who dictated it onto his PDA and sent it through email to Mac. “Maybe if I had stayed, she would still be alive…” he sobbed, trailing off and buried a sweating head in his hands.

Tony’s gut said he was a decent man, and did not do this. “Hey, this isn’t your fault. If you had been there, you might have died too.” Tony tried to convince him.

“I don’t care. At least I still would have been with her.” he growled angrily, but was interrupted by the shrill ringing of Tony’s cell phone.

“DiNozzo.” He answered, angry that he was interrupted.

“It’s me.” The female voice replied. Tony’s irritation disappeared when he heard the Scottish accent on the other end.

“What’s up?” he asked, not taking his eyes off the younger man.

“I have the info you wanted on Moore.” She replied.

“That was quick. Anything important?”

“Not really. He is clean and confirms Evlon was there with him all Sunday.” She sounded like she was still reading something.

“You called him already?” he asked, surprised.

“He was on my list.” She explained.

“You have a list? When did you make a list?” he screwed up his face.

“When are you gonna stop asking stupid questions?” she retailiated. “Anyway, I don’t think he did it.”

“I’m with you there. Gimme 5 minutes to release him then meet me in the lab.” He told her.

“Ok, see you soon.” She hung up and headed down the lab.
Chapter 6 by no1bean
Chapter 6

“Abby?” Mac asked as she entered the lab, and was happy to find the usual comfort of the blaring Brain Matter tracks.

“In here, hun.” The gravely voice replied from her desk.

“For you.” Mac handed the giant Caf-Pow cup over to her friend.

“Thanks!” Abby almost yelled, jumping up and snatching the cup from the younger woman’s hand.

“How many have you had already today, Abs?” Mac asked slowly, gazing at the empty jugs scattered around all 3 sections of the lab.

“7” she bowed her head, sucking on her eighth.

“Whoa.” Mac sat on the edge of the desk as Abby flopped back in the spinning chair. “Well, in that case,” she began, grabbing the Caf-Pow with fast fingers, a cheeky grin plastered on her face. “I get some of this one.” She took a long draw on the hard straw and swallowed down a big gulp of the drink.

“Hey, not cool.” Abby jokingly snatched it back and winked at her sister-in-law. Mac stuck her tongue out and lifted herself from the desk, pulling a piece of paper from the back pocket of her jeans. “What’s that?” Abby stood and moved into the first section of the lab, Mac on her six.

“I read through Sarah’s manuscript and came up with this list.” She handed it over to the goth who booted up her computers. “These are characters in her book who bare some characteristics or similar names to people in her address book or that she had contact with in the last year.”

“Wow, that was fast.” Abby read down the long list.

“I guess you could say she pulled a ‘Gemcity’” Mac smiled, re-reading the list over Abby’s shoulder.

“You could” she smiled. “So what do you want me to do with it?”

“Run the names and pull up anyone with a record or suspicious activity, if you would.” She smiled persuasively.

“Oh, not much at all.” She said sarcastically, solemn thoughts still lingering in her mind. She knew Mac was only trying to cheer her up, but she had just lost her sister-in-law, someone with the same relationship to her as Mac herself, although maybe not as close, and she had no need to be happy.

“It could be worse.” Mac became more serious. “I could’ve asked you to make up the list.” She tried to joke.

“Funny. I’ll see what I can do.” She agreed, and Mac reached round and kissed her on the cheek.

“Thank you.”

“Anytime.” Abby smiled as Mac backed out of the lab, almost running straight into Tony, who grabbed her by the hips to stop them colliding.

“Watch where you are going.” He steadied her.

“Don’t stand behind me. And remove your hands now or you will feel the muzzle of my sig to your forehead.” She warned, sternly, and he threw his hands up in defense.

“Whoa, what is up with you?” he said, offended at her rough tone towards him. All he wanted to go was stop her falling and she was treating him as if he had groped her in front of Chris.

“I’m in a bad mood, ok? Nothing to do with you.” She lied. Her shoulder was playing up again; 2 bullet wounds will do that to you. She was stiff and mobility of her left hand was lower than usual, but it had happened before and she had gotten over it before. And, of course, it didn’t help that when steadying her Tony had held her at an angle that twisted her socket painfully. But it wasn’t his fault, and she thought maybe she should be a little nicer to him. “Sorry, Tony.” She apologized.

“Nah, it’s ok.” He nodded shyly, bowing his head and staring at her shoes.

“Well come on then.” She glided past him and into the cold elevator.

“I though we were here to see Abby?” he turned, his forehead contorted in confusion.

“You missed it. And you’ll miss the elevator too is you don’t move your ass.” She smiled, and he lurched forward, squeezing between the heavy doors before they separated him from her.

--------------------------

“So what’s Abby doing?” Tony asked Mac as the stepped simultaneously from the elevator and through the pneumatic doors into autopsy.

“Running down a list that could be crucial to us.” She brushed the question off, walking ahead of him to the sterile bench.

“Could be?” he asked, stopping by her side.

“Unclear currently. Could be a break, could be pointless.” She sighed and turned to Ducky. “What you got for us dad?” she placed her hands on her hips.

“Cause of death was the slicing of her throat. A rather painful way to die,” he began to explain. “She would have drifted in and out of consciousness for several minutes before the blood loss rendered her unconscious.” Ducky explained to them solemnly.

“What about the sharp force trauma to the abdomen?” Mac asked sternly, gazing angrily down at the stiff body on her father’s table.

“Ah, performed after her throat was slit I reckon. Possibly she was taking too long to die and he wanted to speed it up. Ducky sighed, upset he even thought about it.

“Possibly.” Mac mumbled in agreement, rubbing her shoulder inconspicuously with her right hand.

“Are you alright?” Ducky asked, and Mac mentally slapped herself for letting him notice.

“Fine.” She lied curtly, dropping her hand and smiling convincingly.

“Are you sure?” he asked, and she easily picked up on the worry in his voice. Ducky was a caring and loyal father, but sometimes too worried. But is that not what parents are for?

“Trust me, I’m fine.” She smiled, rubbing his arm reassuringly.

“If you say so.” He smiled back. “There was something under her fingernails; I took a scrapping and gave it to Abby.”

“Right, thanks. I’ll check in later.” She kissed him softly on the cheek, then turned and walked with Tony back up to the bullpen.
Chapter 7 by no1bean
Chapter 7

Mac banged her knuckles against the smooth wood of the door and waited for a reply. She heard a hand clasp on the inside door handle and twist, pulling back the door slightly as a male head peered through the gap.

“What do you want, Mac?” the Director asked tiredly, rubbing both his eyes with one hand.

“I wanted to see how you were.” She stated quietly, resting her head against the inside of the closed door. “Can I come in?” she asked solemnly, biting her bottom lip.

“Sure.” He sighed reluctantly, opening the door so she could squeeze through.

“Thanks.” She pushed herself through the gap and into the office, shutting the heavy door behind her. “So how are you holding up Tim?” she asked as he sat down on the couch and gestured for her to join him there.

“Alright.” He growled as she sat down beside him.

“You know damn well you can't lie to me, McGee.” She smiled, and lifted his head up so he looked her directly in the eye. “How are you?” she asked slowly in a commanding tone.

“I dunno, Mac.” He relaxed and slouched back in the chair. Mac could see the pain in his eyes, he was hurting and she knew how that felt.

“You’re in pain.” Mac stated, looking at the dark floor and clasping her hands together.

“Yeah.” He chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

“I know how you feel.” She straightened up, her back suddenly becoming stiff. “You wanna yell out and scream and cry.” She related, and he mumbled in agreement. “Maybe you should.” She suggested.

“It won't help.” He sighed and let his head roll onto the back of the sofa. Mac comfortingly clasped his hand in hers and he sat up straight, towering taller than her.

“Come here.” She pulled him into a tight embrace, wrapping her hands around his neck. He returned the gesture, locking his arms around her waist and leaning his head on her shoulder. Her hand ran comfortingly through his hair as she felt his warm tears soak through her t-shirt.

“I’m sorry.” He sobbed, his voice muffled but she could still hear the sorrow.

“You have nothing to be sorry for McGee.” She told him. “I’ll get the person who did this, Tim.” She whispered in his ear. “I promise.”

They were interrupted by a shrill vibrating from Mac’s belt. She distanced herself from McGee and stood, pulling the device from her leather belt.

“Phone?” he asked, rubbing his eyes dry and adjusting his shirt.

“Pager.” She corrected, highlighting the screen and reading the number. “Can I use your phone?” she asked, clipping the pager back on her belt.

“Sure.” He granted and she moved behind his large desk quickly, yanking up the receiver and holding it to her ear. “Where is your cell?” he asked, also standing.

“I must’ve left it in the bullpen.” She explained, finished dialing and waited for a reply on the line. She heard a male voice answer with his name, the tapping of a keyboard in the background. “Hey, I’m hitting you back. What’s up?” she asked, leaning on the desk with one hand as she listened to his explanation.

“Abby wants to see us.” Tony stated, and Mac could tell his attention was focused on something else.

“I figured it would take a couple of hours to get a good set of results. She is on time.” Mac smiled, running a hand through her hair as she watched McGee listen in intently, and supposedly inconspicuously, but it was obvious he was hanging on her every word.

“Meet you down in the lab?”

“On my way.” She replied, and set the handset back on the base. “I’ll see you later, McGee. I hope you are ok.” She moved to him, rubbed his arm caringly before opening the door slightly and sliding back though the gap.

--------------------

“Abby?” Mac called as she entered the lab, Tony a few inches behind her.

“Hey you guys.” She greeting, spinning round from the computer to see the agents.

“What have you got for us, Abs?” Mac asked, moving swiftly to her friend’s side.

“I ran the list like you asked; most of them were clean. So clean, in fact, Ducky could perform a sterile autopsy on them in Tony’s house.” She beamed.

“That’s a nice analogy you’ve got there, Abs. And if it is true, then they must be very clean.” Mac smiled and poked her tongue out at Tony, who cocked his head to the side and narrowed his eyes jokingly towards her.

“Some of them have records,” she continued. “Mainly for minor crimes; shoplifting; drunk and disorderly; indecent public exposure. And that is just Tony.”

“You are on a roll, girl.” Mac smiled and held a clenched fist out towards her, which Abby met with a closed fist of her own.

“And then I came on these guys.” Abby tapped frantically at the keyboard and they all watched 2 mug shots fly onto the screen. Mac and Tony moved to the plasma in front of the bench for a better look at the 2 men. “Number 1.” Abby stated, pulling the first picture in front of the second. “Martin Potter. Caucasian male, 45. Sarah has a character called Mitchell Porter. He’s one of the baddies.” Abby recited as Mac read over his wrap sheet.

“Not him.” She said quickly before Tony or Abby had finished reading.

“How’d you figure?” Abby asked, screwing up her face in confusion and peering round the bench to look at Mac.

“In prison, has been for 4 years and will be for another 3.” Mac told them “Says so right here.” She pointed to the last box on the screen; current status.

“Oh.” Tony contributed.

“What about the other guy?” Mac asked and Abby switched the photos.

“Ah, he’s a piece of work. Eduardo Ramirez. Hispanic male, 39. Known gang member and the probable leader of a ring of 15 or so cronies according to Metro PD; they have been after him for a few years. He keeps sliding on circumstantial evidence and hearsay.” Abby read from her screen.

“Interesting.” Mac mumbled, chewing on the fingernail of her thumb.

“I’m already running his picture, prints and record through every database I could…” she stopped mid-sentence when both screens flashed on and off red.

“Good timing?” Mac asked with a smile as Abby pulled the results.

“His prints match prints found at a crime scene in Texas, just off the Mexican border. Police had no leads, no matches on anything, couldn’t get any evidence to hold Ramirez and the case went cold.” She read from the screen. “Give me a second to pull the case file.” She began typing quickly again as Mac moved to her side and watched over her shoulder.

“A murder case from 4 months ago.” Mac read and looked up at Tony.

“Yeah, a young woman. Says here her throat was slit and there was also a stab wound to the abdomen.” Abby’s voice grew quiet. “The print they found was from a knife. They suspected him, but he walked.” Abby was surprised.

“I think we should pay Mr. Ramirez a visit.” Mac said to Tony, who joined her side.

“No known residence, but hotel charges were made to his credit card last week in Virginia.” She told them. “Here’s the address.” She noted on a post it and stuck it to Mac’s chest.

“Thanks Abby.” Mac nodded before turning and following Tony out of the lab.
Chapter 8 by no1bean
Chapter 8

Tony pulled the large hotel door open and let Mac enter the large lobby first. He slipped off his sunglasses and placed them in his pocket, but Mac kept hers on as they approached the main desk.

“Hello, how can I help you?” a young man asked, his hair over gelled into a side parting. He was a little too small for his crisp uniform, and his watery brown eyes too small for his face.

“Yeah,” Tony began, quickly glancing at Mac before continuing. “We would like a room. The bridal suite if you have it, we are on our honeymoon.” Tony grasped at her and wrapped his arm around her waist, a giant grin on his face.

“Get the fuck off me.” She slapped off his hand with a grin and punched him in the arm roughly. “NCIS.” She pulled out her ID and opened it up, showing him her badge and credentials.

“NCIS? Is that like the FBI?” he asked, reading her ID intently.

“No!” the both cried simultaneously.

“NCIS. Naval Criminal Investigative Service.” Tony explained, leaning on the arm he had placed in the counter.

“Federal Agents. Armed Federal Agents.” Mac gritted her teeth, and nearly smiled as she saw the man gulp nervously.

“What do you want ma’am?” he reasserted himself badly, straightening his jacket.

“This man stayed here.” She said, placing Ramirez’s headshot on the dark counter. “His name is Eduardo Ramirez. Where is he?”

“He was here,” the man coughed.

“Yeah, I know that. We wouldn’t be here other wise.” She said pityingly, not in the mood to deal with people. “Where is he now?”

“I don’t know. He left last week.” He shrugged.

“Do you have any idea where he may be?” Tony growled.

“I heard him say something about going back home.”

“Home?”

“Mexico I think.” The young man stuttered. “He was only here for a week, and then he was going back to Mexico.”

“Damn it.” Mac muttered, rubbing her eyes with her hand. “Can we see his room?” she asked, leaning both hands on the counter.

“I’m not sure,”

“Hey buddy,” Tony held out a hand to silence him. “Where is his room?”

“Third floor, room 175.” He reluctantly told him.

“Can we have a key, or will we shoot the door in?” Mac asked seriously, and the man sighed, dug an electronic keycard out from under the desk and handed it to Mac.

“Here.”

“Thank you.” She pushed herself from the counter and headed over towards the elevator. “Come on Tony.”

“On your six, Mac.” He said slowly, annunciating every word carefully. They stepped into the metal box and let the doors close in front of them.

-----------------------

Mac slid the keycard into the slot and whipped it out, watching the green light flash on. Tony pulled the door handle down and let it swing open before they both entered the crisp room.

“It’s been cleaned.” Tony stated, running his eyes over the tight white sheets.

“Well it’s been a week, I should hope so.” She said absently, her eyes focused on the floor. “Blood drops.” She stated, crouching down next to them.

She pulled a few swabs from her kit and twirled one in the blood. She rubbed the blood onto the plastic tester and waited a minute for the results. “Human.” She told him, gazing down at the tester.

“Brilliant.” Tony sighed sarcastically as Mac swabbed the drops a few more times and clipped the cover over the bud, sealing them in an evidence bag and sliding them back into her rucksack.

Mac then pulled out her camera and snapped a few shots of the drops. “Direction of splatter heads towards the bathroom.” She looked up at the thin door which Tony moved to and yanked open.

“You got a print kit?” Tony peered back round the door towards her.

“Sure.” She pulled it out of her bag and tossed it to him. Tony caught it in his right hand and reentered the bathroom.

5 minutes later he returned and slid the evidence bag into the black rucksack. “There’s nothing else here.” She sighed, standing up and slinging the back over her shoulder. “Let’s go.” She headed for the door.

“Back to the Navy Yard?” he asked, the door swinging shut behind him.

“I have to swing by the airport and pick Chris up.” she hit the ‘down’ button for the elevator.

“But we only have one car?” he said, confused.

“That’s why you’re coming with me.” She smiled as the doors slid shut.

--------------------

Mac pushed through the busy terminal to arrivals while Tony stayed in the car. She stood in silence among a varied crowd for 10 minutes before she saw him emerge from the gate.

“Hey, honey.” He approached her, a duffel bag held over his shoulder.

“Hi,” she replied softly as he reached her. Chris secured an arm around her waist and kissed her deeply, locking with her tongue. “What’s come over you?” she broke away from him reluctantly. “I’ve only been away a few hours.” She laughed as he ran a hand threw her hair.

“Well I missed you.” He grinned goofily, and she looked at him as if that wasn’t the whole story. “And that was the most boring flight I have ever been on.” He admitted.

“Hmm hmm.” She bit her lip as he kissed her again, longer this time.

“Please, get a room.” Tony scoffed from between them and the reluctantly parted.

“You don’t have to look.” She turned to him, but Chris didn’t remove his arm, so Mac stood with her back pressed against his front, his arm holding her protectively to him.

“Actually, I do. We have evidence we have to get back home.” He explained as she sighed, leaning her head onto Chris’ chest. “And I thought you hated public displays of affection?” he questioned, angrily eyeing his strong arm.

“Well, I do. But he kissed me so I will take any in I can get.” She grinned as he kissed her neck slowly.

“Well, come on.” Tony tugged at her restlessly.

“Fine.” She agreed unenthusiastically, holding Chris’ hand as she led him outside.

“Hey, DiNozzo,” Tony began to ask him, “Can you drop me at the hospital?” he fell into step with his wife.

“Sure.” He smiled, slipping on his sunglasses as the three of them crossed to the car.
Chapter 9 by no1bean
Chapter 9

Mac slammed the heavy rucksack down harshly on the metal bench in Abby’s lab. Abby yelped as she awoke, started by the crashing.

“You couldn’t have shaken me?” she grumbled, rubbing her eyes as she stood.

“This was faster.” Mac smirked. “And it is a rush job.” She unloaded the swabs and prints, pulling the memory card from her phone and placing it gently in Abby’s hand.

“What you got?” she asked, sliding the memory card into the fitting slot and watched as multiple photographs popped up onto the screen.

“Blood, possibly Sarah’s and prints in blood, hopefully Ramirez’s.”

“When you said rush…”

“I defiantly meant it.” She nodded, handing the swabs to the scientist.

“I don’t get it.” Abby scratched her head, tussling her hair. “If Ramirez checked out of the hotel last week, how could this be her blood in the room is she was killed last night?” Abby asked, swinging her arms around as she difficultly balanced on her platforms.

“I got a copy of the hotel surveillance. I was hoping I could use your computer to search it to see if he came back in the last 24 hours.” Mac shook her jacket off and pulled her hair back from her head, wrapping the scrunchie from around her wrist over her dark hair.

“Sure, go ahead.” Abby nodded her head towards the dimmed computer next to hers, lifting the prints from the table.

“Thanks.” Mac moved to the computer and inserted the disc into the drive. “Let me see…” she mumbled to herself, fast forwarding the tape quickly. “Now if he came back, I think he may have done it at night. Less conspicuous.” She told, mainly to herself.

“Same blood type as Sarah.” Abby typed frantically.

“Oh!” Mac exclaimed, fingers locked above the keyboard. “Gotcha.” She grinned, freezing the frame. Mac zoomed in on the top corner of the screen, magnifying a pixilated image. “I guess I’ll just have to try out the new filtering program I have been working on.”

“Hmm.” Abby acknowledged, not looking at her friend but instead continued frenetically with her work.

“It uses many algorithms to clear up the pixels using the information on the neighbouring ones.” She explained, easily hacking into her own server and emailing the program to herself.

“Nice.” She chuckled, scanning the prints to the computer in a flash of light.

“It might take a while.” Mac mused, stepping back slowly form the computer and pushing herself onto the clean metal bench.

“Here.” Abby grunted, passing a Caf-Pow behind her, her eyes not leaving the buzzing screen.

“Thanks.” Mac steadily pulled it from her hands and sucked a long draw on the straw.

“Yes!” Abby cried, throwing her hands into the air in triumph. “It’s Sarah’s blood. I know that isn’t a good thing, but that’s more evidence against Ramirez.” She held her hands defensively towards the other woman.

“Thanks Abs.” Mac jumped from the table, landing gracefully on 2 feet and moving swiftly to Abby’s side. Nervousness rose in the pit of her stomach, and Mac didn’t know why. They had the bastard that had killed Sarah, but something was wrong. All the evidence was there and she knew in her gut he was the guy; a skill she had learned from Gibbs.

Still, she had a terrible feeling that something was going to go wrong. But she was unsure as to what and how it would affect them, or even if it was to do with this case.

“You alright?” Abby startled her, placing a hand on each of Mac’s arms and she pulled her from her thoughts.

“Uh, yeah.” She shook her head, focusing all her attention on her sister-in-law as she massaged her shoulder. “What about the prints?” she asked, checking on her own screen thoughtfully, squinting at the figure.

“Running them now,” she began as 2 prints silently appeared on the screen. “They match.” She grinned quietly, running two hands through her dark hair. “Ramirez is our guy.” She slouched, leaning her back on the metal bench Mac had recently vacated.

“Well, if this is him on the tape, then he made good time.” She hummed, manually assisting her programme. “Shenandoah Park is around 50 miles from the hotel, and I’ve got him here an hour and 15 minutes later.” She calculated. “That is easy time, even if he was held up in traffic. I mean, I could make it in half an hour.”

“Yeah, but we don’t all drive as recklessly as you.” Abby poked her tongue at the other woman, narrowing her eyes jokingly.

“Main suspect in a case with the same MO,” Mac brushed off the gestures, beginning to run down all the evidence. “A gang member with priors, motive- I’m thinking she exposed him in her book and he got pissed, her blood in his hotel room, his fingerprints in her blood and...” she paused climatically, slamming her fingers gently onto the keyboard. “Security footage placed him at the hotel hours after her death.” She grinned, pulling her hair from the bauble and letting the dark strands fall around her face. “I think we’ve got him Abs. and we couldn’t have done it without you.” She jumped forward, kissing the other woman gently on the cheek before pulling back and winking.

“Thanks, hun.” She smiled, her pale cheeks flushing with the complement. “Now scram. Go tell the guys and I’ll tell Tim.” She gently pointed Mac in the direction of the door.

“Alright. Thanks again.” She smiled slowly before backing out of the lab.
Chapter 10 by no1bean
Chapter 10

“Pack a toothbrush; we are headed for Mexico!” Mac smiled as she entered the bullpen, slipping behind her desk and pulling the sig sauer from her desk drawer. Mac had a nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach, and she didn’t like it at all. Usually her natural intuition alerted her to such things, but this was bad. Really bad.

“Mexico?” Tony queried, furrowing his brow as Mac slid her holster under the waistband of her jeans and picked up the phone receiver.

“Hello, this is Special Agent Sarah Sciuto, NCIS. Can I speak to Commander Degas please?” she asked, slowly lifting her jacket from the back of her chair as she listened to the woman on the other end of the lines. “Sure, I’ll hold.” She looked around at the rest of the team and raised her eyebrows angrily, which caused them all to jump to their feet, even Tony. “John.” She greeted shortly as the droning music on the other end cut off mid phrase and was replaced by a deep growl.

“Agent Sciuto. What can I do for you?”

“You know how this morning I told you about the case?” she methodically massaged her aching shoulder.

“Yeah,” he answered, trying to jump on her train of thought, a task he found extraordinarily difficult.

“Well, turns out we do need your help.” She built up to her major question sweetly; she needed this favour to catch Ramirez, and she really needed to catch Ramirez.

“What can I do for you?” he spoke slowly, furrowing his brow and focusing solely on her request.

“Can I, maybe, borrow 4 F-14s?” she spoke softly, speaking the in sweetest voice she could muster. She couldn’t believe she had just asked to borrow 152 million dollars worth of equipment in the blink of an eye. She was truly losing her mind.

“Can you what?!” his voice hardened, shocked at the pure outrage of her request. An image that was mirrored on the faces in the bullpen; especially Pullman’s.

“You heard me, John. Can you do it?” she also grew more firm, flicking her hair out from underneath her newly applied jacket.

“I’ll see what I can do.” he sighed, slowly and reluctantly. How the hell was he supposed to acquire 4 jets and 3 other pilots? His day had just gone from bad to worse.

“Thank you.” She sighed reluctantly, placing the receiver back onto the base.

“Mexico?” Tony repeated his question, walking to her desk in confusion. Sometimes she made no sense to him. Well, sometimes was the understatement of the year.

“That’s where Ramirez is.” She explained curtly, tapping frantically yet gently at her keyboard.

“Didn’t he leave last week? How could he have killed Sarah?”

“He didn’t leave until after the murder; I caught him on the security tape from last night.” She looked up from the computer at his confused face. That face sometimes made her laugh, he got so lost sometimes. Tony was a smart man, but they both knew she was smarter.

“Mexico.” Tony confirmed with a nod. He didn’t have a good feeling about this, but he knew it was necessary. “Gear up.” Tony said, but only Kate rose form her chair. “Not you.” He raised his eyebrows.

“Why not?” she threw up her hands in defense. Sometimes she didn’t feel like part of the team anymore, and that annoyed her.

“You’re pregnant.” Mac explained with a smile. She didn’t like to belittle people, but sometimes comments just slipped out. “No flying for you.”

“Being pregnant sucks.” She slouched back into the chair while Mac shook her head.

“Pullman. Move it.” Tony ordered, grabbing up his own bag in which he kept everything he needed for rushed situations like this.

“Um, Boss…” he trailed off, his breathing becoming jagged.

“What?”

“I can’t fly.”

“No shit, you’re human.” Mac responded as a reflex.

“What I mean is, I have a phobia of flying.” He stuttered, his cheeks blushing red. Pullman had always had a fear of flying, which caused problems for his parents in his childhood. It was awkward to go anywhere abroad for a vacation, so they usually just stayed within the country.

“He’s Aviophobic.”

“Avio-what-what?” Tony’s face contorted.

“Phobia of flying. I could say, for example, ‘I know for a fact Tony isn’t Porphyrophobic’” She patted his shirt, shaking her head playfully.

“I’m going to take that as an insult and move on.” He tried to joke, but the words were accidentally spoken with spite. “Why 4?”

“Huh?”

“Why 4 planes? If you knew Kate couldn’t go.” He explained.

“Do you think I am crazy enough to try and stop McGee from coming with us?” she raised her eyebrows as as if on cue, the Director started to walk briskly down the staircase and into the bullpen.

“Yes.” He replied curtly.

“So where are we going?” Tim addressed Mac directly, throwing the bag from his back to the floor. The redness around his eyes had disappeared and his suit was straight again. His chest still ached, but at least his physical appearance was smarter.

“Mexico. That’s where Ramirez is.”

“Can I go?” a small voice squeaked from behind them all. They spun to see the mousy ME assistant shuffling his feet nervously.

“Why?”

“Well, I, uh, think I may be of some help. And I’ve always wanted to go to Mexico.” He blushed deep scarlet. Tony crossed to Mac and whispered in her ear, proposing his point to which she nodded in agreement.

“You can go, as long as you are quiet and follow our orders to the letter.” She commanded and saw his face light up. “Clear?”

“Crystal.” He beamed.

“Ok, pack an overnight bag and meet us back here in an hour, ok?”

“Yes ma’am!” he twitched with excitement.

“Don’t call me ma’am.” She grimaced. “1 hour.”
Chapter 11 by no1bean
Chapter 11

Mac and Tony both walked out of the Mexican sun and into the bar while McGee and Billy stayed outside on her orders.

“I can’t believe your pilot came through, Mac.” Tony shook his head in shock.

“Well, he is pretty reliable, even if he only got us 3 planes.”

“Which meant you had to fly one of them. I am never going in a plane with you again.” He gagged, the nauseous feeling sharply returning.

“Hola.” Mac greeted, ignoring Tony. She carried on the rest of their conversation in Spanish.

“Hola.” That barman returned her salutation and returned to wiping the bar down. The dim light was a drastic contrast to the eyeball burning Mexican sun outside. The bar was practically deserted, apart from the overweight barman and what seemed to be a few ‘regulars’ who seemed to be drunk even at this hour of the day. The barman’s dirty hair was matted over his forehead and his filthy apron hung limply around his neck.

“Soy la Agente Especial Sciuto y este es el Agente DiNozzo, trabajamos para la NCIS, Una Agencia Federal de los Estados Unidos,” I am Special Agent Sciuto and this is Agent DiNozzo, we work for the US Federal Agency NCIS she flashed the sweaty Mexican man her ID.

“NCIS quiere decir Servicio de Investigación Criminal Naval, por sus siglas en Inglés.” It stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Tony chimed in, also in Spanish, from Mac’s side.

“Nos preguntabamos si usted había visto a este hombre?” We were wondering if you have seen this man? Mac placed Ramirez’s headshot on the bar, avoiding the puddle of beer.

“Ah, si señora.” Ah, yes ma’am. He nodded, bringing the glossy copy closer to his eyes.

“Sabe usted donde se el encuentra ahora?” Do you know where he is now? she asked, showing off her fluent knowledge of the dialect.

“No, lo siento. Pruebe mejor en la cantina, al fondo de la calle. Pasa mucho tiempo allí.” No, sorry. You might have better luck down the street in the cantina. Spends a lot of time there. He ran his eyes up and down Mac’s body.

“Gracias.” Thanks she thanked, nodding her head in a recessive manor, avoiding the passes he was making at her.

“Hey, Señorita, quédese a tomar un trago, es cortesía de la casa.” Hey Miss, stay for a drink. On the house. He winked unattractively at her.

“No, muchas gracias!” No thanks! Tony smirked defensively at the unpleasant ‘gentleman’, placing a protective, warm hand on Mac’s lower back, steering her towards the door.

“Any luck?” McGee questioned desperately.

“Sorry Tim,” she shook her head, replacing her sunglasses over her eyes. “But he said check out the cantina down the street. Hangs out there a lot.” She and Tony started to walk, McGee in tow and Billy scrambling to catch up.

“You speaking Spanish Mac,” Tony started, eyeing the female, “Very hot!”

“DiNozzo, not the time.” She sighed, landing a hard punch in Tony’s arm. He let out a muffled squeal, accompanied by a little laugh from Mac. Tony and Mac eyed the open sign and he opened the door a crack. “McGee, you know the drill. Stay out here with the gremlin.” She nodded, despite his pouting. A bell rang as Mac closed the door behind her.

“Hola, puedo servirles en algo?” Hello, how can I help you? a pretty, young waitress approached them. The spoke thick Spanish with a sultry accent coating her words. The light in their new position was much better than the bar. They could both see clearly and needed no assistance from squinting to make eye contact.

“NCIS.” Mac once again flashed her badge.

“Ah, I know why you are here.” She switched to English.

“You do?” Tony asked surprised, furrowing his brow.

“Si. Senor Gibbs!” she called between the partners. Mac and Tony spun in shock to see their mentor’s head snap up from the bar and stare towards them.

“Whoa” Tony whispered at Gibbs’ scruffy appearance.

“You’re telling me.” She whispered back, as Gibbs’ met hers.

“That’s not why we are here.” Tony asked, tearing his eyes from Gibbs and resting them on the pretty hostess, unlike Mac, whose eyes were fixed on the older man.

“Its not?” she asked, not expecting the twist.

“No.” Tony fished his hand into Mac’s pocket, despite her protests and slapping, and pulled out the glossy.

“Tony, I am gonna…” she never finished, but pointed to Gibbs. With a nod from him, she started off towards the older man and sat on the barstool beside him.

“This is why we are here.” Tony showed the picture to the woman. “Do you know him?”

“Si. That is Eduardo Ramirez.” She bowed her head.

“Yes. Do you know where we can find him?” Tony asked her with a smile.

“Si senor. Eduardo and his ‘friends’ come in every lunchtime around 1 o’clock. Well, he hasn’t this week, but I heard he got back into town this morning.” She looked a little uneasy, as if nervous to give information about the gang member, and why wouldn’t she be?

“One? That is in half an hour!” panic rose in Tony’s voice. “Thank you.” He calmed back down as not to frighten her. Tony placed the picture in his own pocket and gestured for McGee and Billy to enter.

-----------------------

“Hey Boss, long time no see.” She spun on the bar stool to look deep into his blue eyes.

“Sciuto.” He grunted, turning back to his beer. His hair was longer than she had ever seen it, flopping untidily down over his cobalt blue eyes, although they still stood out as much as ever. He had a lot of stubble, not enough to classify it as a beard, but if he did not shave soon, he was well on his way.

“Tell me something Gibbs, how come I had to hear your moving back here from Jen?”

“I didn’t know you knew at all.” He raised his eyebrows at her.

“Please, I know everything.” She joked and Gibbs presented her with a smile in response.

“How you holding up Mac?” he asked, grin in his voice.

“Ah, I’m fine. This case is depressing but other than that.” She said in a ‘but what can you do?’ tone.

“Yeah I heard.” He turned to face down again.

“So, you living it up here in Mexico?”

“If by ‘living it up’ you mean booze and sleep? And if you add in building a boat then pretty much.” He took a swig of his drink.

“Nothing different with you then.” She smiled, and when he narrowed his eyes at her, she simply stuck her tongue out in his direction. Gibbs subtly raised his right hand and connected it roughly with the back of her head. “I deserved that.”

Gibbs turned his attention once more to the woman and nodded his head, with a simple
“Yup” to justify it. “Hey, are you thirsty?” he mentally Gibbs-slapped himself for being rude, drinking away while she was sitting there empty handed.

“Um, I little bit.” She was taken aback by the very un-Gibbs-like gesture.

“David!” Gibbs called over Mac’s shoulder to a man she assumed worked here.

“Yeah. What is it Gibbs?” he said in English, what would have been normal if Mac had not recognized the voice instantly. It was the voice that had screamed her name in pleasure so many times before. The Scottish, although tinted with Irish, accent rang out, contrasting to all of the Spanish speakers in the cantina.

“A drink for the lady.” He lowered his voice. “Mountain Dew I presume?”

“You got me.” She sighed, her eyes drifting shut and head resting on the bar.

“1 Mountain Dew.” He held up one finger just to clarify. “You alright?” he asked concerned, placing a gruff hand on her back.

“Not particularly.” She moved, bringing her head up to face her old friend. Dave had not changed at all. His longish hair still fell over his deep brown eyes, and he still blew it away with a sharp breath as he always had. As handsome as ever, he stood at 6’ 2”. David was well built, a muscled man and what appeared to the naked eye as an athlete. His eyes connected with hers and he was as shocked as Gibbs had ever seen anyone.

“Shit Gibbs.” She muttered under her breath so only he could hear.

“What’s wrong Mac? Ex boyfriend?” he joked, raising his eyebrows.

“Yeah.” She nodded, “But that is not the problem.” She turned to her ex-boss as David advanced at great speed. “I kinda forgot to tell everyone I wasn’t dead.” She bit her lip and screwed up her face. “I am screwed,” she shook her head. “And not in a good way.”
Chapter 12 by no1bean
Chapter 12

“Sarah?” he stuttered, walking the last few paces to her extremely slowly, as if he was hallucinating.

“Hey Dave, how’s it going?” she asked cheerily, plastering her face with a grin.

“But I thought…you are…I was at your funeral!” he stuttered, his eyes widening.

“I know. Me too.” She nodded.

“Wait,” Gibbs interrupted with a wave of his hand. “You were at your funeral?”

“Yeah, I thought I’d see what it was like. Way to depressing though.” She shook her head jokingly.

“I know, it was…um...” he searched for the words.

“Boring and miserable?” she suggested, raising her eyebrows.

“Yup pretty much.” He took another swig of his beer.

“But…how?” David managed to utter, his forehead crinkled in confusion.

“You see, I kind of faked my death. Not just for the banter though!” she defensively held up both hands, palms towards him. “I was on the run from the mafia.”

“I hate those guys.” Gibbs muttered to no one, still staring inconspicuously into the bottom of his bottle.

“Join the club boss.” She knelt her elbows on the bar, burying her head in her hands.

“Well anyway. I am not dead and I just forgot to tell everyone. Ta da!” she held her hands up nervously like a magician. David didn’t reply, but instead knocked Mac off her stool in a giant hug. She was shocked, but relaxed into it when her instinctual thoughts of defending herself wore off. She wrapped her arms around his neck and squeezed. When he finally let her go, the scene was a bit too awkward, but all of them missed the glare Tony was sporting from across the room. “So…” Mac broke the ice, “I take it Em is here too? Considering you two are married.”

“Yeah, we own the place.” He blushed.

“Really?” Mac was taken aback. “Good for you.” She patted a hand on his shoulder.

“Yeah, but not fully. Izzy owns the other half.” He admitted.

“Izzy?” Mac’s head snapped up, her face turned dangerously pale dangerously quick.

“Yeah. He was the most broken up at your funeral. God, he hasn’t seen you for years.”

“I know Dave.” She whispered, looking as if she was about to cry. This worried Gibbs more than anything. Mac never cried. Never.

“He’s in the back. I’ll go get him!” David’s voice was filled with excitement at their current high school/college reunion.

“David don’t…” she managed, but the loudest she could muster was a throaty whisper.

“Mac, what’s wrong?” the older man looked directly into her troubled eyes.

“Gibbs, what’s the date?” the frequency of her breathing increased.

“October 22nd.” He grew even more confused with each sentence she managed to form.

“Exactly. It’s coming up for the 25th Gibbs.” She sighed, slamming her head against the bar repeatedly. “Damn it, damn it, damn it.” She repeated, nerves rising in her voice. She heard the kitchen doors swing open with enthusiasm and looked up expecting to see the one man she had trouble facing. Instead she was confronted with a woman she knew so well. She was pretty, with curly blond hair and blue eyes. Her pale skin was an unusual sight to this mainly Hispanic society she was surrounded by. “Hey Em.” Mac sighed, contorting her face into a smile. Em, who had received news of Mac’s non-death from her husband, was just as happy as he to see her old best friend. Emily threw her arms round Mac’s neck and clutched on for dear life. “Em…Emily!” Mac coughed. “I can’t breathe!” she spluttered. Em let go and drew away with a guilty look on her face. Mac gasped for breath and steadied herself on the bar, with a little help from Gibbs.

“Sarah! You’re alive!” Emily yelped, jumping up and down on the spot.

“Yeah, I am.” Mac smiled, putting thoughts of Izzy to the back of her mind and focusing
on the female.

“Mac!” came a male cry from across the restaurant. She recognised Tony’s voice and peered round Emily to see her partner. She held up her index finger as a pause while she took a deep breath and then flipped her hand round to give Tony a thumbs up. He gazed at her for another minute before being convinced that she could handle it and turned back to the appealing waitress. David came bursting back through the swing doors and Mac’s breath caught in her throat, until she realised it was only him.

“Izzy’s gonna come out soon. You should have seen his face when I mentioned you. He is so excited!” Dave was practically leaping into the air with anticipation.

“Sciuto,” Gibbs growled softy on her ear. “You are not ok. I don’t care what you say. Something is wrong.” He stated, staring into her eyes. The gaze he met was a strange sight to him. Mac’s eyes were hurt. There was a pain he had seldom seen, the few occasions he had there was a perfectly justified reason. Mac possessed a talent few could handle; the ability to hide all emotion without fault. For many, the eyes gave them away. They are unable to hide feelings from their eyes, leading to foiling from another party. With Mac this was not the case. If the circumstances called for it, she could make her eyes so blank- or force them to display a lie- that few others could distinguish her true thoughts. He watched her blink slowly, and then once again look up into his eyes. He had anticipated her reaction before the results blossomed. The deep blue colour was brimming with cheer- contradicting the concern of five seconds ago. “That doesn’t work on me Mac.” He said knowingly.

“What did I do?” she asked him innocently.

“You know damn well what you did. You may be able to pull that innocent look with DiNozzo, but I’m not so easily distracted by your charms.” He didn’t take his eyes off her just instead deepened the glare.

“Well I guess I will have to try harder then.” She cocked her head to the side and moved her chair closer to his.

“Stop it.” He nudged her.

“I was kidding Gibbs.” She smiled, the happiness in her eyes legitimate this time.

“Check out Gibbs.” Mac vaguely heard a small voice whisper in Spanish. She didn’t turn to it, but concentrated on the conversation.

“What about him?” a male replied to the female.

“Don’t you think she’s a little young for him Emilio?” she woman asked, a little shocked.

“And she’s not even a redhead.” She shook her head. Mac gave out a chuckle before focusing her attention back on Gibbs.

“Anyway,” she cut the silence, “Gibbs, I am fine. Done worry about…” she trailed off and her face contradicted her previous statement. She was ghostly pale and worry welled in her eyes as they tracked the man slowly exiting the kitchen. To Gibbs, he looked as nervous and upset as she was. The man presented himself to Mac and she hopped off her stool, measuring only a few inches shorter than him. He moved close to her, attracting the attention of Tony from across the room. Mac did something Gibbs had never seen her do before; she looked down at the floor instead of up into his dark eyes. He placed a warm hand under her chin and moved her head up until their eyes met.

“Hello Sarah.” He spoke softly so only a select few could hear.

“Hey Izzy.” She whispered back, wrapping her arms around his neck.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2190