Life is Interesting by LadyRyn
Summary: Ziva returns back to NCIS after being on maternity leave for a few months after having her and Tony’s daughter, Caitlin. Sequel to Life is Good and post Bury Your Dead.
Categories: Het Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Jenny Shephard, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Michelle Lee, Timothy McGee, Ziva David
Genre: Humor, Romance
Pairing: DiNozzo/Ziva
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1386 Read: 1649 Published: 02/01/2008 Updated: 02/01/2008
Story Notes:
Good? Bad? Comments, suggestions, flamers? Please let me know if characters are out of character or anything. Also, I would like to know if you would like to read more of this story, because this could stand alone if it really needed to. Thank you!

1. Life is Interesting by LadyRyn

Life is Interesting by LadyRyn
Author's Notes:
Ziva returns back to NCIS after being on maternity leave for a few months after having her and Tony’s daughter, Caitlin. Sequel to Life is Good and post Bury Your Dead.
Disclaimer: I do not own NCIS

====================Chapter I================Ziva Returns to Work


“Where’s Sara? We’re going to be late,” Ziva said, looking down at her watch for the tenth time that minute as she paced back in forth in their living room, bouncing Caitlin in her arms.

“Ziva, relax,” Tony said, trying to calm her down as he sat on the couch. “It’s your first day back.”

“Exactly, Tony,” Ziva snapped back, “that is why I cannot be late. ‘Hey Gibbs, I’m back, oh, and sorry I’m late.’”

“Hey,” Tony said, getting up and walking in front of her, placing his hands on her shoulders making her stop in her tracks. “Gibbs was a father once too, he’ll understand. Don’t worry. Besides, the way you drive, we couldn’t be late if we left 5 minutes before we were supposed to be at headquarters.”

Ziva shifted Caitlin into her left arm and softly slugged Tony in the arm with her right.

“Owwww!” Tony complained, rubbing his arm. “So violent.” He then reached over and took Caitlin from Ziva. “What kind of example are you setting for Caitie, huh?” He looked down at Caitie as she looked up at him and giggled, her little hands grabbing for Tony’s jacket.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and Ziva almost sprinted the short distance to the door. She looked through the peephole and then swung open the door quickly. Sara McGee stood on the other side of the threshold, looking a little sheepishly.

“I’m sorry for being late. I slept through my alarm!” she said as Ziva stepped to the side to let her in.

Ziva settled down at the sight of Sara’s obvious discomfort. “Don’t worry about it. Ok, now her food is in the fridge on the second shelf. She isn’t very picky, so you can give her whichever one at lunch. She usually naps at around 11:00 and 4:00, and we should be home by 6:00, but I’ll call you to let you know,” she finished as Tony handed Caitlin into Sara’s arms.

“Hey there,” she said as she took Caitlin into her arms as her hands waved up in the air to try to grab Sara’s hair that had fallen in front of her face. “Don’t worry about anything guys, really. I’ve got both your numbers, cell and office. I’ll see you later tonight.”

“Thank you so much Sara, again. We really appreciate this,” Ziva said as she grabbed all her gear and the keys to her Mini. She looked sadly at Caitlin and walked over and planted a kiss on her forehead. “You be good, ok? Ima is going to miss you.”

Tony smiled as he put her hand on Ziva’s arm, his own gear in hand. “Be good Caitie. We don’t want to hear about you blowing up the apartment or anything,” he said, a grin crossing his face.

Sara giggled as Caitlin then let out a string of baby talk, as if answering Tony. Tony and Ziva then walked out the door, shut it and locked it. Ziva then speed-walked over to the elevator and pushed the down button. Two second later it let out a ding as Tony then caught up to her and the doors opened. The two of them stepped in and then Ziva just watched the numbers light up signaling what floor they were passing.

“I’m sure she’ll be fine Ziva,” Tony said, resting a hand on Ziva’s shoulder and giving it a light squeeze. “Don’t worry.”

“I’m not worried,” she said flashing him a slightly nervous smile. Tony gave her the ‘I don’t believe you’ look, and then Ziva added, “Well, ok, maybe I am, but I do not want to think about it right now. Right now I want to think about how we can make it to work in 2 minutes.” Tony chuckled, shook his head and left it at that.

Fifteen minutes and a crazy car ride later, Ziva and Tony were in the NCIS elevator as it dinged to announce their arrival to the correct floor, and were readying themselves to jog to their desks, hoping that Gibbs wasn’t going to be at his desk. As they stepped out of the elevator a yell echoed through the room.

“Ziva!!” Abby yelled as she came running towards them from the bullpen, her pigtails and chains flapping as her boots clunked on the floor. She flung herself at Ziva and gave her a huge hug. “I’ve missed you!”

“It’s nice to see you too, Abby,” Ziva said, her voice slightly muffled by Abby’s body, as she returned Abby’s hug, albeit a little less enthusiastically.

“We got your desk ready for you,” Abby added as she stepped back, letting Ziva catch her breath.

“Oh, you didn’t have to do that,” Ziva responded as Abby shook her head.

“But we wanted to. Come on,” she said as she grabbed Ziva’s hand and dragged her towards the bullpen.

“Nice to see you too Abs,” Tony said as he followed them.

“I saw you on Friday, Tony,” she said over her shoulder.

As they approached the desks, Ziva noticed that McGee, Agent Lee, Jenny, and Gibbs were standing around her desk.

“Welcome back!” McGee said with a smile as he watched Abby drag Ziva up. Gibbs smiled at her as they stumbled to a halt.

“You’re late,” he said.

“I know, Gibbs, I’m sorry, it’s just that Sara was a little late, and then there was traffic on the way over…” she started rambling out, then stopped, noticing that everyone was laughing.

“He was joking, Ziva,” Jenny said with a smile as she walked over and gave her old friend a hug. “Shalom.”

“Shalom, Jenn. Good to see you again,” Ziva answered with a smile, hugging her back. She then turned to Agent Lee, standing awkwardly next to McGee. “Nice to see you again, Lee,” she said, smiling

“Good to see you again too,” Lee said, smiling back.

Ziva then looked at her desk, and was surprised and amazed by everything there. There was a framed picture of Caitlin to the right of her computer and another framed picture of her, Tony, and Caitlin from Christmas to the left. Also on her desk were chocolates, a new letter opener like Tony’s, a new keyboard with a gel hand rest, a small Goth teddy bear, tea bags with a ‘I Love Corgis’ mug, and a fancy stapler. “Thank you,” she said, smiling around at her extended family.

“We thought you could use some little stuff,” Jenny said as Tony walked behind her to put his gear in his desk. “It was actually all Abby’s idea. Tony wanted to put superglue on your keyboard and put a mouse in your desk, but Jethro wouldn’t let him do it.”

“Oh, really?” Ziva said, cocking her eyebrow at her husband trying to hide by his desk.

“Hey, nothing says welcome back better than a good scream and a way to get better connected to your technology,” Tony answered, throwing his hands up in the air.

“She probably would have killed you, Tony,” McGee said with a grin, looking back towards him.

“The father of her child!” Tony said in mock horror. “Never.”

“No,” Ziva said, cocking her head to the side. “I probably wouldn’t kill him McGee. I most likely would have volunteered him though to help Mrs. Keller and her dogs move next week.”

Tony stared at Ziva in actual horror. “You wouldn’t!”

“I would,” she said, sitting down at her desk.

“Who’s Mrs. Keller?” Agent Lee asked, looking confused.

“Oh, that’s their batty next-door neighbor who has like ten Jack Russels,” Abby answered, shuddering. “I met her one time when I was babysitting for Caitie. That’s one experience I wouldn’t want to repeat. She’s moving?” she asked.

“Ugh, yes, finally. She got evicted from the mess her dogs were causing,” Tony answered.

“I think you should make him do it anyways, for even thinking about booby trapping you on your first day back,” McGee said, a grin spreading over his face.

“No, Ziva, no, please! I will do anything!” Tony said desperately, clasping his hands together in a begging gesture.

Ducky then walked up, laughing, “It’s good to have you back my dear.”




================End Chapter I================
End Notes:
Good? Bad? Comments, suggestions, flamers? Please let me know if characters are out of character or anything. Also, I would like to know if you would like to read more of this story, because this could stand alone if it really needed to. Thank you!
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2363