Strength - or Weakness by strebergeist
Summary: They get some visitors
Categories: Gibbs/DiNozzo Characters: None
Genre: Action, Alternate Universe, Angst, Crossover, Drama, Established relationship, Friendship, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Series
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Warnings: Dark story, Disturbing imaginery, Horror, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3978 Read: 3767 Published: 03/19/2008 Updated: 03/19/2008
Story Notes:
Again, thanks to Kayalee and 80sgirly

1. Strength - or Weakness by strebergeist

Strength - or Weakness by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
They get some visitors
“I can’t believe it! All those years and I was just too blind to see.“

Tony stopped Gibbs with his hand on the older man’s chest and listened to the conversation in the basement. While the first voice was definitely Ducky, the second drew a frown from both men.

“I know Ducky. It’s what happens with a new monster. Why do you think it took us so long to notice the uber-evil?”

“Old friend of Ducky’s?” Gibbs asked about the clearly British accent, but Tony shushed him.

“Okay, so how do I kill it?”

Tony let out a laugh, which didn’t really sound like one.

“It’s not that easy Spike.” Ducky said and Abby immediately jumped in.

“And he’s not an it! He’s a nice man.”

“But he is a killer.” A girl said.

Tony cast a look at Gibbs as he pushed the door open and entered the room in his usual manner.

“Talking about us?” He said annoyed, looking at his team and the new people.

“That’s him?” A small woman next to McGee said and gave Tony a once over.

“Ah, Anthony. This is my friend Rupert and his slayer Buffy. Those are her friends Willow, Alexander, and Spike; and this is her sister Dawn.”

“Buffy? As in Buffy Summers?”

“As in Buffy Summers. And you are Anthony DiNozzo, the great new Slayer of the east coast. You brought him I see. “

Tony looked annoyed at the new people and then at Ducky. He stepped up to the elder ME and fixed him with a glare.

“You think I can’t do this alone, do you?”

“Anthony, all I think is that you don’t know what you’re getting yourself into. Jethro is not the man we thought he was.”

Tony turned around and walked to the door but Gibbs stopped him.

“Tony, we can’t do this alone. Who knows how long I’ll be able to control this on my own. Ducky is right. I’m not the man I thought I was.”

Tony looked shocked at Gibbs and then at the group staring at them. He took a step closer to his lover and lowered his voice.

“What if they wanna kill you? Jethro we can do this. They don’t understand”

“Maybe they don’t. But they’re my friends, too. If they’d wanted to kill me they’d have done it when I came in here. “

They looked at each other for a moment before Gibbs took Tony’s hand and tugged on it to follow him. They sat at the table in the middle of the basement and slowly the others sat as well.

“Listen, Tony and me, we had a talk last night. It seems that I’m not... transformed, since I haven’t tasted blood yet. Maybe...maybe we could...I don’t know, bewitch me or something so I’m not able to... to bite?”

Tony still his eyes on the table as Gibbs spoke. The older man sounded oddly uncertain and insecure.

“We could try a chip.” Spike smirked and Abby smacked him on the back of the head.

“What was that for?” said Spike.

“It’s what we do when somebody says something stupid! First, Gibbs would most probably not survive that since he’s still human. Second, as you can see, those chips aren’t supposed to work that long. And last but not least, nobody knows where to find such a chip or how to build it. The risk is too great.” McGee said reasonable. Suddenly Tony looked up.

“It doesn’t make much sense, does it? I mean...the soul would keep you from killing, wouldn’t it.”

Spike nodded knowingly.

“Hell, yeah! Since I’ve got my soul back...”

The team frowned at him.

“Ok, long story short. I’m a vampire. I had that chip. I went to some voodoo priest and he accidentally gave me my soul back. Anyway, the thing is, since then I haven’t killed. Except that time I was under influence of the uber-evil but that doesn’t count. Had an evil brainwash.”

Tony nodded still frowning. Was there a chance Gibbs could stay like he was without becoming a threat?

“Of course we could try to put a spell on you. Actually, Abby could try. I don’t know if I’m up for something that big.” Willow said and Abby nodded but frowned at the same time. Tony was now completely confused.

“Hang on, weren’t you that witch that gave all Slayers the powers? If that wasn’t a big spell, I don’t know what is.”

“Err, yeah, but I was also the witch that nearly destroyed the whole world because someone killed my girlfriend.”

Tony shook his head.

“Anything else I should know about your team?” he said looking at Buffy. The young woman cracked a grin.

“Dawn was once only energy. She was supposed to destroy the world too.”

“Ok, what about him?” Tony nodded at the one introduced as Alexander.

“Xander is the one who always fixed the house after a demon attack. No powers.”

Suddenly Tony and Gibbs started to laugh. The others looked at each other confused. The two men were hanging on each other nearly laughing their heads off.

“This is really good, Tony, really good!”

“What?” Abby finally managed to say.

”You come here thinking I have a problem because my lover is an untransformed vampman. And you...you...” He tried to regain more control to be able to speak.

“You have a team...you have a witch who wanted to destroy the world out of revenge. A vampire with a chip and a soul and a sister who was actually just a bundle of energy! Suddenly my problems don’t seem to be that big anymore.” He said as he slowly sobered. But then he suddenly turned serious again and looked at Buffy.

“What would you do? The man you love turns out to be a potential danger. Would you kill him or banish him? Would you take that pain to lose him only because he might become a threat some day? Or would you try to help him? And maybe even use those powers he has?”

The blonde whose gaze had been quite cold all the time now looked down at the table but then she smiled softly at Tony.

”I think you’re a good Slayer after all.”


Gibbs stood at the window and watched as the sun went down. He felt Tony’s hands on his waist and then his lips on his neck.

“Hey. We want to order something. You hungry?”

Gibbs sighed and didn’t answer. Tony put his arms around him and hooked his chin over Gibbs’ shoulder.

“We’re going make it Jethro. Abby will find something to seal your hunger and everything will be alright.”

“You said something about using my powers. You think we could use them? I mean, what are those powers?”

“Well, being a vampire is more than just drinking blood. Vampires are strong and fast. Could explain why you’re the only one to knock me over in sparring.”

“Pfft. Kate knocked you over.”

Gibbs felt Tony’s chuckle vibrate on his back.

“I let her Jethro. Super Secret Service Agent has to knock over the ex-cop, doesn’t she? Why do you think I never spare with Ziva? She’s too much of a competition. I’d like to pin her to the mat...not that way though.” Tony quickly added when he felt Gibbs tense.

“You don’t have a problem with them seeing us? You usually take long to trust people.”

Tony considered the answer for a moment.

“I have a lot to hide. But they know most of it. And why should I hide something from them that I don’t want to hide? If they have a problem with it, they should get the hell out of here. Besides, Willow’s a lesbian. I don’t think homosexuality bothers them much.”

Gibbs nodded slightly and leant back into Tony.

“What I said, it’s true. I love you, Jethro.”

Gibbs turned in Tony’s arms and saw the truth and the trust in his eyes.

“I love you, too, Tony.”

They shared an affectionate kiss.

“Please, since when am I old enough to see something like that?” Dawn said and Buffy and Abby laughed.

“That’s what I’m asking myself all the time!” Abby added grinning.

”Jeeze! The two of you have seen more demons than the whole NCIS! You are old enough to see this.” Tony countered happy to hear a joking tone again.

“Since the two of you have been busy making out, we already ordered.” Buffy informed and slowly the young woman was more appealing to Tony.

“What did you order?”

“Chinese. Menu up and down. There has to be something for you cuties.” Dawn said and flashed a grin at them before she returned to the table.

“She seems to be ok with it.” Gibbs said to Tony and the younger man grinned. Maybe this wasn’t so bad after all.


The food arrived and soon the HQ seemed to be a dinner party. Ducky and Rupert, who was called Giles by everybody but Ducky, were discussing some demon in the third world. Abby and Willow were talking about spells and how they affected Abby’s work. Spike, Dawn and Xander were talking with McGee, mostly Xander was talking with McGee, and Dawn and Spike were making fun of them. Gibbs was sitting quietly at the table occasionally listening to Spike, when he was talking about being a vampire, or Giles and Ducky when something interesting came up.

Tony stood at the window a box with food in his hand, but he wasn’t really eating. The whole time he watched Gibbs.

“Not really his world, huh?”

He looked down at the petit blonde and she smiled up to him.

“Not really. Only a few days ago he had no idea that vampires and demons existed and now he’s one himself. I always thought being one of the chosen Slayers was hard, but I can’t imagine how he feels right now.”

For a moment they were silent.

“Listen, I’m sorry for how I acted when you arrived. I can understand that you love him no matter what he is.”

Tony studied her and he saw that her understanding came from somewhere deep within.

“I was in love with a vampire. He had a soul though.”

Tony looked at Spike.

“No, it wasn’t Spike. Ok, I confess we had a fling and I’m sure I have feelings for him of some kind, but, the one I really loved was Angel.”

“Angel?”

Tony looked at the ceiling. The name rang a bell; he just couldn’t tell what exactly it was.

“I killed him in the end. He was killing again and I had no choice. I hope you won’t have to do that.”

“He should train. I mean, with somebody that can match his strength. You think Spike would do that?”

Buffy shrugged for a moment.

“I know him pretty well and he never runs from a fight. The chip is out so he can beat humans again. I think that’ll be a good idea.”


The next day they returned to the basement but it had changed. The big table stood at the side and in the middle of the room now lay a big mat. Spike and Buffy were sitting at one corner with Spike in his usual clothes. The others sat at the table off to the side.

“Should I change?” Gibbs asked, as he looked slightly afraid of what was to come. Tony shook his head.

“When you go out hunting with me you’ll wear normal clothes as well. Stretching won’t be necessary. Vampires usually don’t overstretch.”

“I’m not a vampire.”

“If it is the way we think it is, you have the powers of a vampire which means you’ll be fighting like a vampire. You just need to get into it.”

Gibbs stepped onto the mat and Spike strolled onto it as well with a light grin on his face.

“Err...rules?” Gibbs asked turning to Tony once more.

“The first rule of the fight club...” Abby started but Tony shot her a look.

“There are absolutely no rules. And remember, vampires are vicious creatures. They try everything to get you down.”

A look of remembered pain came onto Tony’s face.

“Really, I mean everything. Ok, start.”

Before Gibbs could turn, Spike tried to hit him, but Gibbs ducked away just in time.

“He’s got the reflexes.” Buffy said as Tony sat down next to her. They watched for about two minutes how Gibbs avoided Spike’s fists.

“Attack, Gibbs!” Abby yelled and for a second Gibbs looked to her. Spike wanted to use that chance but Gibbs had snapped his arm and in a move no one was able to follow he had him pinned to the mat.

“Good one, Jethro!” Tony said as he and Buffy walked over.

“No fair! You said he isn’t trained!” Spike said wincing as Buffy helped him up.

“He isn’t...hang on...now that I’m thinking of...it could be that I actually really was sparring with you all those years.”

“Yeah but you always let me win, honey.” Gibbs said in a challenging tone. A grin appeared on Tony’s face and he stretched his arms, more as a answer to the challenge than really stretching.

“Of course I did! The evil Marine couldn’t lose.”

Spike and Buffy grinned at each other at some flashbacks and they knew the relationship between the two men could get really interesting. They sat beside each other and watched as Tony and Gibbs continued their verbal pre-fight.

“But in the end I did pin you to the mattress, and that time you didn’t let me win.”

“You think?”

With that the fight started. It took some air punches before Gibbs scored. Tony stumbled backwards and shook his head.

“Err...I...” Gibbs started, but Tony waved him off.

“That was a good one. You don’t have to baby me. I won’t take it personally.” Tony said and the fight continued.


“This is getting boring.” Dawn said after ten minutes when nothing spectacular had happened.

“Are you really fighting?” Abby yelled and Tony let his guard down. In that moment Gibbs chose to attack and knocked Tony out. After a minute or so, Tony woke up groaning.

“That’s why I never take her into the field.” He said sitting up. Gibbs helped him up and steadied him as he was slightly swaying.

“You didn’t answer, were you really fighting?” Buffy said but her tone was more serious than Abby’s.

“Yes, we were. It seems that we’re pretty equal.”

That statement followed a meaningful silence.


Abby, Dawn, Xander and Willow had gone home for the night. McGee, Ducky and Giles were in the basement discussing something. Spike and Buffy sat on the stairs leading down. Gibbs stood next to the door with his back against the wall, and Tony paced the small room up and down.

“Jeeze, DiNozzo! You’re making me nervous!” Spike said after twenty minutes of watching Tony.

“Live with it.” Tony returned coldly and continued. He hated it when Ducky and McGee became all secretive as the outcome was mostly not good; and this time he hated it even more since he knew that his lover was the subject of the discussion.

“This isn’t right! I should be in there! I’m the Slayer!” Tony said annoyed as he continued his pacing. As he passed Gibbs, the older man pulled him flat against him. Wrapping his arms around his waist from behind, he held Tony in place.

“Relax, baby.” Gibbs whispered in Tony’s ears and the tension in him eased up a little bit. He leaned against Gibbs and sighed.

“I know what it is about. They fear I can’t handle you if you became a threat. That I can’t stop you if you freak out; that you might kill me.”

Gibbs tightened his arms slightly.

“I’d never hurt you.”

“I know that...but they don’t.”

Spike got up and walked to the couple.

“They’ll never trust you fully. I’ve seen it myself. They work with you, use your strength...” He shot a look to Buffy that only Tony understood.

“...but they’ll keep you at distance.”

He looked back at Gibbs and a grin entered his pale face.

“You’re lucky, man. You’ve got the slayer on your side. The slayer’s the heart of the team. Without him, no team.”

Tony looked at Buffy. She had her gaze on the floor before she stood up to look at Tony.

“In the end, it’ll be your decision. But I know that they also can turn against you if they think that they’re strong enough without you.”

”They did that with you?”

She nodded shortly.

“In the end, it proved that they weren’t. I came back to them. But it was different. There was another Slayer.”

“Here’s another slayer as well.”

Buffy just cracked a grin and shook her head.

“I’m retired. I came here to help you, not to replace you.”

Tony nodded and smiled. The door opened and the two watcher and the gonna-be watcher asked them to come in.

“So? What’s the verdict?” Tony asked his voice strong and even. He had enough practice in keeping any emotion out of it even if he was burning inside.

“We didn’t really come to one, Anthony. We think that it would be for the best if Jethro stayed under our supervision. As long as he’s not showing any signs of uncontrollable hunger, I think he can attend your patrol which you need to do seeing as how you did not patrol yesterday.”

Tony nodded.

“Care to join me?”

He looked at Spike and Buffy and both grinned back at him.


“Patrol in Washington DC, nice. What cemetery are we heading to?” Buffy asked as they sat in Tony’s black mustang.

“Cemetery? We’re not going to a grave yard. These are city vampires. They do other things.”

He stopped near a park and got out of the car.

“To use this wonderful opportunity of four instead of one we’ll do a little raid.”

“Raid? What are you planning, man?” Spike said and frowned.

“There’s a club. I never go there since I’m usually alone. About one out of three is a vampire, the rest...”

“Dinner.”

He shot Spike a look but nodded.

“Most of the humans are girls of course. But it shouldn’t be a problem to get in there for us. Good looking men are just as welcome.”

Then he looked at Gibbs.

“What? You think I’m not good looking?” said Gibbs.

Tony looked for the right words but Spike took it out of his hands.

“Vampires usually prefer young blood. Not that you’re old. I mean. Compared to me you’re a baby, just...”

Spike squirmed under Gibbs’ stare, which made Buffy and Tony chuckle.

“Give me your hand.” Tony said and grabbed Gibbs’ right hand before he could move. He took out a stamp and pushed up the sleeve of Gibbs’ jacket. Pressing it to Gibbs’ skin, where it seemed to sink in. The older man looked at him with raised eyebrows.

“It’s magical. Abby made it. Show that at the door and they’ll let you pass. It’s the sign of a demon gang. This looks like a real tattoo but it’ll be gone by tomorrow. Oh, and no eye contact!”

He started to walk and the others followed his lead.

“We won’t go in together. They have no use for couples in there and the stamp wouldn’t be credible if he shows up with somebody without it. When we’re in we’ll meet at the restroom doors. No action in there! We’re just checking out.”

“That’s what you call you a raid?” asked Spike incredulously.

Tony turned around and fixed Spike with a glare similar to Gibbs’.

“It’s a raid because once we know where to look; we can have a nice big vampire dinner party! Got it?”

The night was definitely productive. After about two hours and some talks with Tony and Spike’s demon contacts they had a tip. When they got there, they saw not less than fifteen vampires and about five victims, all of them young and hot. Together they managed to kill fourteen. One took a run and one victim died. The other four were in shock and Buffy told them that the “guys” had given them drugs so they’d hallucinate.

When Tony and Gibbs finally got home, Tony rubbed his eyes tiredly. Although he was used to long hours, the last couple of days were hard on him. Gibbs silently undressed and went to bed without touching or kissing Tony at all.

“Something wrong?” Tony said as he lay next to him. That the older man didn’t even shift closer was another sign that something wasn’t right.

“It was strange to kill them.”

Tony studied him for a long moment. He didn’t really know why it was strange for Gibbs. On the job he often shot people, and as a Marine he even used his bare hands.

“I...I felt that they’re my kind and to kill them...seemed wrong.”

Tony frowned a little.

“Maybe you’re conscience isn’t only human. Maybe you have a vampire conscience too, which is something most vampires don’t have. That’s why they usually live alone. If they think you’re in their way they kill you no matter what you are. But maybe you’re different. “

“Yeah...it makes me a better vampire, doesn’t it?”

“Well, for the community of vampires, sure. For us not. You did kill two of them and that’s a lot for the first night. You’re conscience is telling you that it isn’t right...just like killing people. It makes you a good vampman at least. As a vampire, it would probably be deadly. I think that vampmen should live in communities. At least they are a part of a family, something a vampire isn’t.”

Gibbs nodded slowly. Tony took action and snuggled closer.

“We can ask Spike about it if you want to. I mean, see if vampires feel the same when they kill each other.”

He started to kiss along Gibbs’ neck.

“But that’s not what I want you to have on your mind tonight.”

“Leroy.”

Gibbs closed his eyes and tried to concentrate on the feeling of Tony’s lips on his body instead of that voice in his head.

“Take him, Leroy. I know you want him. Take him like we do.”

Ok, concentrating isn’t working, time for distraction. Gibbs rolled Tony over and kissed him passionately.

“That’s my Jethro!” Tony said grinning as Gibbs kissed his way south.


Once more he let Gibbs take the lead. The passionate kisses of his lover always were intoxicating and he was absolutely not in the mood to interrupt him. But when Gibbs started kissing and sucking on his neck, he stiffened.

Gibbs looked him deep in the eyes.

“I trust you, Jethro.” Tony said and tilted his head to give the older man more room. For once Gibbs didn’t linger long at Tony’s neck. Although Tony had said that he trusted him, he could feel his lover’s tension so he moved further down.

“His neck, Leroy, that’s all you want.”

Gibbs pushed himself up looking everywhere but into Tony’s eyes.

“Jethro?”

He didn’t answer, but rolled off his younger lover. He lay there staring at the ceiling when he felt Tony’s hand on his chest.

“Jethro, what’s wrong?”

“Tony...I hear this voice...in my head...”

Tony pushed himself up on one elbow, looking at Gibbs intensely.

“What voice?”

“It calls me Leroy...and it tells me to take you.”

“You already have me.”

“It’s strange. It says to take you the way we used to. What could that be?”

The scared look returned to the older man’s face and Tony looked back concerned.

”Maybe...I read that there’s a bond between father and son...between the vampire who impregnated your mother and you...maybe he’s talking to you. Maybe he wants you to bite me.”

”I don’t want to bite you...although...”

“What Jethro?”

“Your neck...it’s fascinating to me...”

Tony nodded but looked away. He let his head fall to the pillow and he turned to look at Gibbs. He kissed him slowly.

“I love you, Jethro. I trust you to not bite me. I really don‘t know why...”

Gibbs kissed him in return and pulled him closer.

“Maybe tonight’s not the best time. I love you, Tony.”

Slowly he felt Tony drift into sleep and long hours passed before Gibbs found sleep.

Many nights like that passed. Some nights they’d have sex, and some nights they wouldn’t. Every night, for two months, Gibbs would patrol with Tony, and he got used to it like he got used to shooting people in the line of duty.
End Notes:
Again, thanks to Kayalee and 80sgirly
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2456