Life, Love, Death and Badges by Lizkap
Summary: It's all fun and games - until someone gets hurt.
Categories: Het Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Original character, Timothy McGee, Ziva David
Genre: Action, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Pairing: Abby/McGee, DiNozzo/Ziva
Warnings: Torture, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 8930 Read: 7314 Published: 10/15/2008 Updated: 10/26/2008
Story Notes:
It's a bit screwed up. Rather dificult to classify. Anyway, hope you like it.
Oh, and of course, I don't own these characters, nor do I make money off them... etc.

1. Brothers and Sisters by Lizkap

2. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang by Lizkap

3. Two Birds With One Pregnancy Test by Lizkap

4. Of Kissers and Killers by Lizkap

5. Love and Hate by Lizkap

Brothers and Sisters by Lizkap
Author's Notes:
It's all fun and games - until someone gets hurt.
Specks of blood flecked the green slate-stone floor like rubies on grass, shining dimly in the light that created mottled shadows across the ground. Death hung in the air, omnipresent, linked directly, one would assume, to the comatose woman who was half-propped against the kitchen cupboard. It was a shocking sight, made all the more eerie by how bright the room began to become as the sun rose above the bright green trees. The whole sight had a surreal feel to it, and everything just looked like a photograph capturing the beauty and horror the vision embodied.
Time stood still and the sun seemed to move no higher. Everything froze how it was; nothing moved nor made a noise. The woman’s face was turned to the sunlight.
-x-
Senior Detective Jason Sciuto sat at his desk, pretending to examine the papers piled high before him • almost high enough to obscure him from view completely. Thoughts elsewhere, he put his signature on every indicated line mindlessly. A book, lying tantalisingly open - face down on the little table beside him • was the object of his gaze at that moment. It looked so easy to pick it up, to interrupt the monotonous duties of the paperwork…
A sigh escaped his lips as he looked away and back at the page before him, trying to focus on the words that swam in his vision…
Something important, he concluded after a few minutes of staring at the paper. Mm.
He put it aside to read later. It would be an interesting procrastination on the petty arguments and bread theft and inheritance claims which were cluttering his workspace. He finished what he could of the rest of it, then took the piece of paper with him as he got up to get a cup of something pretending to be tea to wake himself up.
Putting the kettle on, he sat down on one of the chairs and attempted again to read the document. The morning sun spilled over the window sill and across the page.

Addressed: Sr. Det. Jason Sciuto
Subject: None

He sighed again and began to read.

Jane Doe
Time of Assault • approximately 10 am on the morning of December sixth, 2008.

Yesterday, he though absently.

Report -

Skip that for now. He flicked ahead to the next page and continued.

At the end of the document there was an enclosed photograph of the crime scene. He turned to it • a horrific, detailed photograph of a woman, a woman with black pigtails and green eyes. Her naked body had been slashed and stabbed, burns showing where she’d been branded with a hot iron • from what may have been the fire poker that lay close to her on the green slate. She looked surprisingly relaxed • which probably implied she had been knocked out before anything else had happened to her.
But that wasn’t the worst of it.
Her flawless skin, her beautiful eyes…
”Abigail,” He whispered, thrown into shock. Everything around him ceased to exist, the world stopped. It • it couldn’t be…
Denial set in. It wasn’t her, he knew. She was at home. She was safe.

The woman was in a coma, they’d asked him to look into the case… he decided he’d take it. He didn’t even consider the idea it may just have been Abby, he knew it wasn’t. It wasn’t!
-x-
Two days later Jason stood at the door of the NCIS department, looking through the glass doors apprehensively. The denial had worn off to be replaced by rage, then frustration, then depression, then despair. His older sister…
The anger came back, and that was what fuelled him at the moment. A desire to bring down the man who’d hurt her, who’d done this to Abby • the sweetest, most beautiful, cleverest…
He pushed those thoughts away. His sister had been on holiday, so no one at her work knew yet what had happened despite the fact he’d called his own department and told them her name.
He wanted to do this himself. He knew that her boss, one Jethro Gibbs, had been a father to her since theirs had died all that time ago. Neither she nor he spoke much to or about the other except when they wrote • it helped lessen the pain of them being apart. After so long being all they had for one another they’d taken slightly different paths that had taken them their separate ways.
He shook the memories from his mind, then hefting his briefcase walked into the building and up to the floor where he’d been told he would find Special Agent Gibbs’ domain. He didn’t understand why that particular wording had been used but he wasn’t really interested at the time.
“Special Agent Gibbs?” He asked someone when he’d stepped out of the elevator. The woman blinked, then pointed very obviously to a man standing with a coffee in his hand in a grey suit, watching three people scramble together their things. He raised an eyebrow, then strode over, his coat catching a little on the cool breeze from the air conditioning units. “Excuse me?” he said though it was clear he was not interrupting anything.
“What.” Asked the man who was obviously Gibbs, not looking away from the three bustling people.
“I need to talk to you.” He said patiently.
“Later.”
“Now.” He replied firmly • and suddenly there was dead silence.
“What was that?”
“I need to talk to you, now.” He said, not backing down an inch.
Gibbs fixed him with a steady gaze, his icy blue eyes looking Jason over. “McGee, DiNozzo, Ziva, go to the car. You •“
“Jason.” He prompted the grey-haired man.
“Jason. We have a crime scene to get to. I don’t care who you are or what you’re-“
“I’m here to talk to you about Abby.”
Gibbs fell silent, and all three of the others turned to face Jason. The handsome tall one with the brown hair said, “Is she okay?” The shorter one, the one still at the computer, said, “We didn’t hear from her today yet...”
The third, the woman, said in her heavy accent, “Or yesterday for that matter. And she calls every day.”
Jason bit his lip, and only just managing to keep his voice level, said, “Abigail Sciuto… I’m sorry Agent Gibbs, but she is currently in Westside Hospital in Australia.”
“W-what happened?” The computer one • he had brown hair underneath the cap • said.
“Shut up McDoofus!” The tall one replied in a hushed tone, his heart obviously not in the pathetic protest.
“Tony.”
“Sorry boss.”
“I wanted to tell you in person, as well as the fact I came here to look about and investigate, obviously this being where she worked and lived.” He fell silent for a moment, then added, “Also I’m afraid I’ll have to return to Australia soon if I find any evidence the killer-“
“Killer?” McGee’s, as he assumed the man was, voice had a hint of hysteria about it, and Gibbs looked pale as a ghost.
“She’s dead?”
Tony looked like he was going to faint.
“No,” he said quickly. “But I’m afraid she’s close to… She’s in a coma.” He bit his lip. “I really am sorry to have to be the one to tell you-“
“How can /you/ be sorry?” Ziva demanded.
“She’s my sister!” Jason snapped, the anger which he’d tried to cover up showing through far too strongly. He closed his eyes for a moment and took a calming breath. He needed a coffee.
-x-
After perhaps twenty minutes everything had been explained and all four • he’s correctly identified each of them from the descriptions Abby had given him • and they’d all read the file he had multiple times he finally got the chance to go get the coffee he wanted. He drank it in seconds flat, then poured another one, rubbing his forehead. Living off coffee and panadol as he was at the moment he wore down rather quickly. The four spoke softly, worriedly, angrily behind him, and one of then had called up the one called Ducky.

“How can she be in a coma?” Tony demanded furiously, restless and looking like he was about to explode. He shifted from foot to foot, hands clenching and unclenching.
“She was attacked Tony!” McGee said a little hysterically. “Didn’t you-“
“YES I READ THE FILE!” He shouted.
Gibbs was eerily quiet, his face distant and the lines around his mouth and those that framed his eyes deepened, the only sign of his worry. So many thoughts were assaulting his mind… but the biggest, the most horrible one was that he might lose another child. That, and that he might not be able to help her. It nipped at his heels, made his head spin in horrible confusing emotions.
Ziva too was silent, but in a different way to Gibbs. She was mourning the loss of a best friend. But she was accustomed to death… Tony had lost his partner, and the whole team had lost her predecessor Kate. Surely they couldn’t take another hit. Not like this, not the well loved, friendly, gothic Abby. Tony and McGee were arguing to get some of the pain off… but she didn’t know how to cope with it, how to let off steam like they did. She held it in and prayed.
McGee and Tony were interrupted by Ducky’s arrival. “What’s this about Abigail, Jethro?” He asked, his eyes bright with worry.
Gibbs didn’t reply, and to save him the excess pain Ziva stepped in, explaining it all in a low voice after taking Ducky aside a little. Gibbs closed his eyes, attempting to zone out, what may have been tears gathering at the corners of his eyes. Why Australia? It was out of their jurisdiction by a long shot. He couldn’t do anything for Abby, not from where he was • not in Australia. Nothing.
But he made his decision. Opening his eyes, he looked at the others, blue unmarred by tears.
“We’re going to Australia.”
End Notes:
It's a bit screwed up. Rather dificult to classify. Anyway, hope you like it.
Oh, and of course, I don't own these characters, nor do I make money off them... etc.
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang by Lizkap
Author's Notes:
The title says it all.
“First class?” DiNozzo asked Jason mildly as they boarded the plane.
“My department wanted me to take the job quite a lot.” He replied with a slight smile. “I secured your tickets separately.” He walked ahead to fall in beside McGee " carrying a laptop, several phones and a small briefcase. He smiled. “And how are you going techno-boy?” You could still see the worry but he was at least making an effort to return to his usual, bouncy self. He was much like his sister in that way.
“Uh oh, I’m fine.” He said quickly, then smiled ruefully as Jason took the briefcase. “Thanks.”
“You’re wel-come.” He said in a singsong voice.

Once all of them had taken their seats " Ziva beside Tony, Jason beside McGee and Gibbs with Ducky " the plane began winding up.

“Jethro, I’m sure Abigail will be fine,” Ducky said quietly to his long-time friend. “She’s… she’s such a character in this story of life.”
Gibbs nodded curtly, his hands clenched around the armrests until his knuckles turned white. “If there’s anything I can do about it,” He said quietly, “This jack-ass isn’t getting off lightly.”
Ducky fell silent, sitting back in the comfortable chairs and fixing his gaze on the ceiling. He was as worried for Abigail as he was Gibbs " he knew the man was getting to tight a hold on those he was close to. And something always happened… He sighed softly as the plane began to take off.

Next row back, McGee lay back in the chair, eyes closed tight, stomach rolling sickeningly as the plane began to move down the runway. Worry mixed with height was not a good combination he’d found out. He hoped he wouldn’t be sick in front of Jason or Tony, or Gibbs… Ziva and Ducky he didn’t mind so much. Oh god, he was going to be…
He slumped forward, putting his head between his knees, retching dryly.
Jason looked at him, then rather awkwardly patted his back. “Are you okay?” He asked, shifting his feet a little so his expensive shoes wouldn’t be in the way.
McGee shook his head but didn’t speak.

Ziva and Tony, meanwhile, were reminiscing They needed something to talk about to take their mind off it… and both of them found that release in the graphic and well-remembered " in parts " past jobs they’d done. It was their loneliness, their shared loss, which had them getting on thus far. Narry a name-calling. After a moment, Ziva whispered, “Tony… That night… at the party "“
Tony paled. Every man’s worst nightmare " after sleeping with one’s co-worker, the last thing anyone would want was to be confronted about it. Especially… He looked at her. “Look, Ziva.” He said gently. “What happened was a mistake. I was drunk, you were drunk… I don’t really have any emotions beyond " I mean, you know, friendship obviously…” he was flailing awkwardly for words as she interrupted.
“Tony. That’s not what this is about.” For one of the first times she looked as nervous as he did. The seatbelt signs turned off with a small ding as the plane stopped ascending so steeply, and the pair glanced at the sign before back at each other.
“Tony… I’m pregnant.”

There was a split second of dead silence. It felt as if the whole plane had shut up at that comment to both Tony and Ziva. Then Tony was saved by the sound of a huge report " the sound of a gunshot.

An expression of pure shock slowly dissolved into pain, and McGee cried out, clutching his shoulder with a gasp, hands going to the place he usually carried his gun. When he didn’t find it he actually was sick, throwing up weakly over the side of the seat.

There was immediate pandemonium " screaming, running, yelling. Gibbs was one of the first on his feet, his hands also immediately going to his empty holster. Jason was a close second, jumping up and grabbing his own gun " the only one of the group allowed to carry it. He had it up bare moments after he’d stood " and was rewarded by a blossom of blood gathering on his white shirt.
God damn… this is Armani!
He looked around, ignoring the blood which dripped on the expensive leather upholstery and his expensive pants as he looked for the gun wielder " and spotted him.

The man winked and slammed open the escape door, taking off his jacket and jumping out of the plane.
Gibbs and Jason both raced over and, holding tightly to the sides of the door, looked out. Then Jason swore loudly and reached out to get a hold of the handle. And strained to close it. It was surprisingly easy " the direction of the plane made the air rushing backward slam it closed. Jason swore loudly again, then walked back to his chair and hesitated " then, wincing tat the loss of such a good shirt " he pulled it over his head, gritting his teeth as it brushed across his bullet wound. He was beginning to feel dizzy, but he ignored it as he began tearing his shirt apart, pushing a wad of the material against McGee’s arm. Once he’d taken over, Jason wrapped a piece around his forearm and flexed his muscles " when his head reeled he decided that may not have been a good idea.
“Gibbs?”
Gibbs looked over from where he was interrogation " already " the staff " and saw Tim. He walked over immediately, reaching out to put a hand on McGee’s other shoulder. “Are you aright?” He asked gruffly, but worriedly.
Everything was going wrong.
-x-
The rest of the flight passed pretty well, despite the blood and the pain and the screams and the endless questions… the second they were off Jason was on the phone to the local ambulance service. Three minutes later there was an ambulance and two taxis out the front, and Jason gestured for them to take one of the cabs. “I’ll go with McGee, I should get this checked out.” He said. “Go straight to Westside. That’s where I’ll tell the ambos to take us too.” He nodded then, before they could argue, whistled to get the paramedics attention.
“Good luck,” Ziva called. “Break an arm.”
“Leg.”
“What?”
“Never mind.”

At the hospital McGee was fussed over, but Jason had had enough experience to ask for a certain doctor by the name of Leon Newman who was used to seeing such things. Fussing nurses made him sick " unless they were hot. In which case he was more then happy to play it up a bit.
Back to the point.
McGee was in quite a bit of pain, and the doctor was worried about the muscle. Until they got a scan of some sort, neither of them were allowed to leave…
Jason figured that visiting his sister two floors down and eight wards across was hardly leaving. After all he was in the same building and they hadn’t specified which room he was to stay in. But he’d do it at night. Just in case.
he lay in the bed beside McGee’s, staring at the ceiling. McGee was awake he could tell from the sound of his breath…
In…. out….
It calmed him, he realised. The sound was a comforting one. He wasn’t sure why, but somehow…
In… out….
He sat up and got out of the bed, wincing as the bandage sling scratched his neck. “Hey, McGee "“
“You can call me Tim you know.” He said quietly.
Jason tilted his head to one side, then smiled and walked over, taking a seat beside the bed. “Tim.” He said quietly. Then he fell silent, leaning back in the chair. “I’d apologise for what happened today… but I can guess you’d wave it off. And I know it’s not my fault. I just… I still feel guilty, you know?”
As McGee " Tim, he corrected himself " nodded, he relaxed a little.
“I understand what you’re saying.” He smiled. “Don’t forget you got shot too.”
Jason chuckled. “That I did.” He murmured. Then he looked up as someone walked into the room " and swore softly. “Hey Tim " please don’t take this personally.”
“Take what-“ He broke off as he noticed the man. “Isn’t that…”
“He said no more before Jason had leant forward and kissed him full on the lips, to the point of making out with him.

Don’t take it personally? McGee thought, shock replaced by relaxed ecstasy. He’d always wondered why there were precious few women he’d been interested in, why he appreciated what men looked like much more then Ziva’s new shoes…
I’m screwed.
End Notes:
I'm not sure if I'm going to develop on this particular part yet.
Two Birds With One Pregnancy Test by Lizkap
Author's Notes:
Ziva and Tony have a new secret.
“Meanwhile, high above the streets of Gotham…”
“Tony, is now really the appropriate time?”
“When is it not the appropriate time to quote a movie for Tony, Ziva?”
“Good point.”

The four of them " Ziva, Tony, Gibbs and Ducky " were crammed into the reception area of the hospital with maybe thirty other people. Ziva was squashed uncomfortably between the perfectly at home Ducky and another patient who kept shifting in his seat. A suspicious smell surrounded the man, and she tried to ignore it. Gibbs looked the most impatient of the lot surprisingly. He glared at the nurse he’d just spoken to " who’d just informed him visiting hours were over. Hence the quote " the look on Gibbs’ face said it all.
“Perhaps we should find a hotel. Somewhere to stay. Ducky suggested. “If we’re not going to see Abigail or Tim " or Jason for that matter " then we may as well get some rest Jethro.”
Gibbs glanced at him, then sighed and nodded. “Come on then.” He said wearily, standing and walking outside into the warm summer night air. It was such a change from America. The whole place was incredible " it was hot, there were flies, and it was almost dark. He shook his head and tried to hail a taxi " and frowned as it just drove by.
“Ahem.” Iva said quietly, then pointed to a taxi waiting in a parking bay. “I think that they are not called off the street here.”
Ducky walked over and opened the door, getting in. Gibbs took the front seat before either Ziva or Tony called shotgun, so they got in the back too.
“Closest cheap hotel.” Gibbs said quietly.
-x-

Ziva lay on the floor of the hotel room, Tony having taken the bed in a typical sort of gesture. She didn’t mind though. Not really. After all, she was used to it.
“Tony…? Are you awake?”
“Ah, the stupidity of that question " coming from you Ziva? If I were asleep I wouldn’t be able to answer, and awake I’d have answered to Tony, wouldn’t I?”
“Yes but the longer the sentence the more likely you are to wake up " look, never mind.” She sighed softly. “I " I’m sorry. For on the plane… I’ve been trying to tell you for such a long time. All month in fact. I thought I’d hit the bird on the head and tell you when you’d definitely be listening, and when you’d have to talk to me about it. It didn’t turn out that way though I suppose.”
Tony turned on his side to look at her for a moment, then shifted over a bit and held out his arms for a hug, his eyes dark and unreadable. It was his way of saying he was sorry… that he knew he’s screwed up.
She met his gaze, then smiled and stood, going over to the other side of the room and lying beside him, snuggling into his embrace. “Tony…”
“Ziva…” He replied softly. “Shh. I don’t " I’m not… I mean…” He smiled slightly and reached out, brushing aside a strand of hair which had fallen over her face. “You’re so beautiful.” He whispered on impulse, eyes meeting hers.
Suddenly they were kissing. He wasn’t sure who’d started it, and by the time he’d realised he didn’t care. Emotions began to stir inside him, those emotions he’d ignored for so long…
Maybe one of them was love?
The night passed in a tangle of sheets and the catch of breath, the quite moans which they both tried to suppress so as to not wake their neighbours. It was rough and there were more then a few lasting marks to be had from the encounter… but it was what they both needed.
“I’m going to be a father.” Tony whispered.
Finally… Ziva knew she was coping with her emotions. And that made her feel awful, once she lay beside a sleeping " supposedly sleeping " Tony, gathering her breath and her thoughts… she’d used him.
But had she? She genuinely felt for him…
I used him.
Ziva got out of bed and slipped out the door, leaving the hotel and walking to the cluster of bright neon shops which she’d noticed on the way in. She stopped out the front of the chemist, cars rushing by her as she stared at the twenty-four hour sigh. Then she squared her shoulders and walked inside to the front desk, sliding a few notes she’d begged of Jason onto the desk. She soon had another pregnancy test in her hand and she returned to the hotel with the small box clutched tightly in her hands.

The double blue line stared her in the face, and she remained silent as she started right back. She sat on the toilet with the lid down. She’s snuck back into the room and straight to the bathroom…
Positive.
It hadn’t changed since the last four times she’d tried.
She sighed and threw it in the bin, then reconsidered and picked it up and glanced around for something else to put it in. She didn’t want Tony to see it… she wasn’t sure why. But it was important.

Soon she had returned to the bed beside him, lying awake for quite some time.
I used him.
She closed her eyes, and soon fell asleep, haunted by horrible dreams in which she woke up over and over… and Tony wasn’t there.
Of Kissers and Killers by Lizkap
Abby stood in the kitchen, humming a cheerful heavy metal song under her breath as she made a coffee. Silly Australians " how did they live without Caf-Pow? She allowed her mind to wander dreamily and admittedly a little wistfully to McGee… She missed him, she realised. He was always so… Tim. She smiled and shook her head, then put the coffee down on the bench, wandering over to the window to look outside. It was such a beautiful day. Summer was such a nice time of the year " and she thought that Jason had gotten her a nice place. Even if it was temporary. She sighed, unusually down. Maybe she’d call the team. But first she wanted to finish her coffee…
“Abby.”
She smiled and shook her head again. She could have sworn…

McGee woke up, breathing heavily. Dreams often haunted him, but this one… He shuddered. He was too upset to even try and remember the details. Tears pricked the corners of his eyes, and in an attempt to distract himself he sat up and swung his legs off the bed, stepping lightly onto the cold marble floor. Marble. What kind of hospital could afford that? Then again, it might have been fake. He glanced at Jason, who was sleeping comfortably on his right side, the arm that hadn’t been shot. That meant he was left handed. That was interesting…
Ah, the triviality.
He wandered down the halls silently for a while, and had finally decided to turn back when a soft voice beside him said, “Do you want to see Abby?”
He jumped violently and whirled around almost completely before realising that it was Jason, and that he was beside him and not behind. “Jason " I, uh "“
“You don’t have to explain.’ He chuckled. “I’m up too aren’t I?”
“I didn’t hear you.”
“I know.” He winked, then began walking again, in front of him now. McGee realised his eyes were drawn to -
He blushed and followed him, fixing his eyes on the back of Jason’s head.

The pair of then sat down beside Abby’s bed. She still had her pigtails in " McGee was shocked and saddened to see her like this. No smile, no bounce in her step… no makeup. He picked up one of her hands… and felt dizzy as he saw the burns and scars on her arms. She looked so… weak. Like the lightest touch -
He reached out automatically as Jason lightly touched her cheek as if to stop him. When she didn’t crumble before his eyes he relaxed a little and squeezed her hand a little tighter. “Has-”
“No.” Jason said softly, instinctively knowing what he was going to say. “She hasn’t so much as stirred for two weeks.” He sighed sadly " then froze. “Wait…” He picked up the report beside the bed. “This says she did. Just briefly…” He continued to study the report in the half-light, sitting on the chair beside the bed.
McGee left him to it, eyes fixed on Abby’s face. After a while he felt his eyes drift closed… he quickly opened them again.

He woke up to Jason shaking his shoulder gently. “Come on Tim.” He said quietly. “Back to bed before the nurses turn up… we’ll come back when Gibbs and co. get here okay? Pretend we didn’t visit. They might be hurt if we saw her first.”
McGee nodded tiredly, standing and following Jason back to bed.
-x-

“Tony.”
DiNozzo moaned softly and rolled over.
“Tony!”
“What?” Came the mumbled reply.
“Are we going to visit Abby or not?”
Tony was up in an instant, looking around the floor for his pants. “Right. Yes. Abby.” He stopped for a moment in his flurry of movement to glance back at her, then smiled. “Damn.” He murmured.
Ziva raised one eyebrow at him in silent question.
“You got dressed.”

Soon enough all four of them were standing out the front waiting for a taxi. Ducky was unusually silent, and Gibbs was stony-faced. DiNozzo seemed much more cheerful then usual, and Ziva looked... worried, almost. But she tried her best to smile, mostly for Tony’s sake.
“Why so dull?”
“What?” Ziva asked, looking up.
“What’s wrong?” Tony asked her gently.
Ziva shook her head, smiling. “Nothing.” She said quietly. “Just… you know. Abby… and being here… yeah?”
Tony seemed to sober up a little. “Yeah.” He agreed quietly.

They got into a taxi and were driven to the hospital. Despite multiple attempts to initiate conversation, the driver dropped them off with barely a few words in conversation. Gibbs paid and they went inside " to the dreaded waiting room.
It was another hour before they were let inside. First they went and saw McGee and Jason " both of whom were still asleep.
“Should we wait?”
“I don’t think so.”
“But Jason "“
“They’ll be fine. Abby might not be.”
“You know.” Jason said as he sat up. “I’m not asleep.”
“Oh.”
He yawned and got out of the bed, perfectly at home in the hospital-issue nightgown. He went over to McGee and shook him lightly. “We’re going to go see Abby now.”
McGee blearily opened his eyes, and nodded, sitting up and rubbing his eyes. “I’m coming.”

Soon the whole group of them were crowded into the ward Abby was in, Gibbs, Ducky, Ziva and Jason standing while Tony and McGee sat down.

“Abby.”
She turned around, and bit her lip. “No.” She whispered.
“Yes.” He grinned. “I’m glad to see you still know me… well. I’m not sure that it’s me you’re remembering…” He winked. “Oh, he loves you so much he’d follow you to the end of the world. It sickens me, you know.”
“Alex, what are you talking about?” Abby asked nervously, stepping back and gripping the bench with her hands, back pressed against it as if it might help. He had a knife…
“I’m not Alex.” He chuckled.
“You are!’ She protested, a little weakly to be sure. What was wrong with him? Stalker or not, she was scared…
“Nope. I’m Jesse.” He grinned, a maniac grin which made her stomach drop.
Her eyes were wide with fear. He could almost taste the emotion that was filling the room, he felt like he was the king of the world. At the very least… her world.
“I’ve always hated you.” His voice was a hiss. “But Alex… oh, no. But he doesn’t know about me. I’m all on my lonesome in here "“ He tapped his head “- at the moment.”
Before anything more was said he jumped forward right as she tried to duck. The knife didn’t pierce her skin, but the handle rapped her in the temple hard and she collapsed against the bench, hitting the back of her head as she fell " hard enough to cause bruising to her brain.
He looked down at her, then went over to the fire, taking out the hot iron.
“Now… now, you are going to pay.” He knelt down. “For everything you did to me " to Alex. To us.” He lay it across the inside of her forearm and watched the flesh around the poker boil and redden before he finally took it away leaving a horrible red and pink welt across her skin which was already blistering.
“I hate you, Abigail.”

“She’s dreaming.” Jason said softly, reading off the monitor beside the bed. “Stable. Well... that’s a good sign. She may well wake soon.” He leant against the wall, looking at his older sister. He loved her so much… it hurt him to see her like this.
Gibbs seemed to share his sentiment. He looked like he was about to cry " Abby was like a daughter to him. She was beautiful, she was his. And he missed her… even now, inches away from touching her pasty skin, she wasn’t there, there. She was just… there. He shivered at the thought.

They stayed until the lights went low and Abby’s face was cast into deep shadows. Dracula, awake " Tony thought wryly. She’d have loved that one. All she needs is a coffin… His eyes slowly drifted to Ziva. He was now reassured Abby would be okay. And despite how determined he was to find the would-be killer, his mind was wandering.
Sharp breath, a flash of cream skin, her hair crossing her face. Her eyes, oh her eyes… She was everything to him, she was just…she was perfect.
Ziva, I love you.
But he just couldn’t say it out loud.

Ziva, feeling his eyes on her, glanced at him and smiled, then looked back at Abby. She was still uncomfortable with the whole thing with Tony. She was scared, and she was ready to admit it.
I don’t know what to do. He loves me, but what if I’m not enough? What if… what if I just can’t do it?

McGee too was silent, staring at Abby. His eyes were uncharacteristically unreadable as his pupils unwaveringly lay on her face… She may as well have been sleeping. No, he amended. There was no way she was sleeping. There was no way. She looked too still, too pale and clammy, too… frail.

Abby lay on the bed, absolutely oblivious to the painful thoughts she was causing those around her. Her chest rose and fell shallowly and her eyes flickered beneath her lids.

A doctor joined them, looking disapproving of the crowds around her. “Excuse me.” He said curtly, finding a path to her bedside and looking at all the monitors. “I’m afraid it’s time for you to leave, this many people can do her no good. Out. Out!”
-x-

Jason and McGee remained behind that night, and the next after each visit from the rest of he group. Of course they had to evade doctors and nurses, but beside that they were virtually uninterrupted.
It was on the third night of their vigil " the fourth night after getting back " that Abby made a turn for the better. By that time they’d both been discharged with the orders not to use their hand or arm too much, and were therefore basically unable to visit except during the day.
So Jason took them to his house to save time. He lived close to the hospital " within walking distance, at least. It was a huge place, on the verge of being considered a mansion. There was an individual room for all of them bar two, and though Jason offered to take the couch Ziva and Tony waved him off, telling him they didn’t mind bunking down in the same room and that he needed a bed to rest his arm. So Jason accepted reluctantly, knowing they were right…

“Tony?” Ziva whispered after the night’s carousing.
“Yeah Ziva?”
She snuggled up to him, not minding that the sheet slipped off her a little as she pressed up against him. Her hair fell across her face and she hummed softly under her breath, smiling. “I love you.” She whispered.
He grinned. “In what way, Ziva?”
She opened her eyes. “Tony...” She said disapprovingly.
“Sorry.”
“Don’t you love me?”
“I love you Ziva. I love you… so much.” He fell silent, then whispered, “I can’t even begin to explain what you mean to me.”
“I’m not just a movie quote?”
“Well… I dunno. That ‘whistling is easy, you just put your lips together and blow’…”
“Tony!”
“Sorry.”

McGee, in the next room over, didn’t hear what was going on one room over. He was lucky. But his thoughts were on Abby and Jason. Typical he’d be attracted to the whole family…
I don’t know anything anymore. Nothing’s set in stone… I can’t decide anything. He sighed softly, staring at the ceiling. The calming blue walls made him feel a little better… he’d chosen this room especially. Blue was such a nice colour. He hadn’t noticed the symbolic choice of Red by Tony and Ziva.
My heart is with Abby. He realised. Abby... she was his light, she was just… He smiled and shook his head. Well. That was to say she was his darkness. His. He loved the sound of that…
His.
His…
His?
He groaned aloud and got out of bed, carful not to hurt his shoulder, still wrapped in a tight bandage,. It itched horribly but he ignored that and the stiffness, opening the door and walking downstairs on silent feet. He needed his laptop. Maybe Jason had wireless and he’d be able to connect up to an RPG site.

-x-

The next day McGee, Ducky and Gibbs had gone with Jason to visit the director of his agency " Australian Criminal Investigation. The director was happy to meet the NCIS agent Gibbs, joining the conversation with Jason, while Ducky was quickly sidetracked by swapping stories and tips with the medical examiner who worked there. McGee was immediately commandeered by the team computer nerds.

Meanwhile Ziva and Tony sat in the hospital room with the comatose Abby. They were currently making out. Ziva had protested at first, but Tony had won her over quickly and they now had their tongues in each other’s mouths.
“Ew, you guys!”
They jumped violently, head-butting each other. Tony wince but Ziva moaned and clutched her head. “Tony your head is like a rock.”
“It’s all the working out I do.”
“Or is it all the rocks you eat?” She shook her head and looked over at Abby " who was smiling, her eyes open.
“You " her " Ziva, no way.. and Tony… Ziva, Tony? Tony! Ziva?” She clutched her forehead. “I’ve lost you Ziva. You have been pulled in by the metaphorical seamonster…”
“Abby!”
“Sorry.” She winked.
“Can you remember anything?” Ziva asked worriedly.
“I’m pretty sure I can. But think about it, how would I know? If I’d forgotten that is. I mean if I’d forgotten I wouldn’t know, would I? Because I would have forgotten. No.. the last thing I remember is the lab fire, I remember being stuck down there… and Gibbs… wait, where’s Gibbs?” A touch of panic touched her eyes. “Oh god! And McGee? Ducky?”
“Abby! They’re all okay.” DiNozzo said quickly, eyes filling with pain. “But…”
“Don’t say anything.” Ziva said softly. “It will be too big of a shock to her system. She might be thrown into a psychotic episode or it may cause deterioration… to the condition.”
Tony stared at her, then sat down beside Abby, who was still fretting. “They got called out.” He said gently. “The director sent them to check the damage with the experts " they’re checking out how the fire started.”
“So they’re all okay?”
“Yes Abby. And " your brother’s here too.”
“Jason?” She asked, brightening immediately. “Really?”
He nodded slightly. The happiness on her face… it made him feel polluted to have lied, even if it was for the best.

“She’s awake?” Jason asked, horrified he hadn’t been there. What if something had gone wrong, what if she’d been scared and he hadn’t been there to protect her?
“Yeah, but…”
“She does not remember anything. Her mind is stuck in the past, to when the lab nearly burnt down.” Ziva said quietly, finishing for Tony.
Ducky nodded. “It’s very common,” He informed Jason. “Why, I remember once when "“
“Ducky,” Gibbs said tiredly.
“I’m sorry Jethro. Well Abby’s condition is, as I said, a common one. Often after a trying or traumatic experience the brain will find another excuse to be in fain or to be in the place they are and effectively block wipe everything that has happened since one such plausible even… just like you Jethro.”
“I don’t like to be reminded, Duck.”
“Sorry. But it should be temporary, just while her mind comes to terms with the, ah, traumatic experience.”
Jason wanted to scream at him. She is not a thing! He wanted to cry. She’s my sister, not a statue, not a textbook case!
But he didn’t.
He knew that this hurt all of them, not just him " especially McGee. He hadn’t said a word.
“However surprise or shock may restore her memory without further trauma.” Ducky added thoughtfully.
Jason shook his head. “I don’t want to risk it.” He said firmly. “No. If she doesn’t get better on her own within a few weeks, then we’ll try… alternate ways of bringing back her memory. Okay?” He looked at all of them, silently pleading that none of them would argue.
No one said a thing.
-x-
End Notes:
Abby is dreaming through the chapter.
Love and Hate by Lizkap
Author's Notes:
We-ell... this is where it all goes down. Betrayal of sorts... I guess... ex-betrayel would be better. XP And of course a bit of sadness and rage thrown in for good measure.
It was a week later and McGee was beside Abby, watching her sleep silently. He’d been incredibly quiet since they’d found out about her memory loss " and he hadn’t had the chance to speak to Jason, the one he knew would understand the best, since he’d thrown himself into the case. Finding the man who’d hurt his sister was all that mattered at the moment.
McGee sighed softly, then smiled as Abby opened her eyes. “Hey.” He said softly. “Sleep well?”
She yawned. “Of course Timmy. I dunno why I’m here. I’m fine.”
He looked at her for a second, then, unable to hold in the feeling any more he leant forward and kissed her.

Shock took over her body. He could tell even as her mouth clamped around his, but he didn’t care, This was something he needed, had needed for a long time " and something he needed her to know. He still loved her far more then he should after…
He gently pulled his lips away from hers, eyes soft and sad. “Morning Abby.” He whispered.
Her eyes were fixed on his, dark and scared. “Timmy,” She whispered.
“I’m sorry,” he said softly " then a feeling of guilt and horror welled inside him as she burst into tears. He didn’t know what to do " what man did in the face of a woman who began crying when they had kissed them. He awkwardly took her in his arms, holding her tightly.
“T-Tim,” she sobbed. ‘Wh " why am I having these horrible dreams?”
She wasn’t crying because he’d kissed her then, he thought in relief. Then he wilted again at her words. “What dreams?” He asked softly, not sure he wanted to know the answer.
“He was hurting me,” She sobbed. “And no one could help me.. I was all alone… Jason, and " and you, and Gibbs…”
“Shh,” He calmed her gently, rubbing her back and letting her hide her face in his shirt. “It’s okay Abby.” He whispered. “You’re safe now.”

-x-

An hour or so later, he concluded she’d remembered everything when he’d kissed her, and was talking to her reassuringly a she alternately panicked, cried and fell silent. That one was the worst. She just sat and stared at nothing while he kept her in his embrace firmly, letting her know that he was here, and wasn’t leaving her.
The hospital lights made her green eyes look glassy, and they’d lost their usual sparkle. Darkness was creeping over the sky outside leaving it in shades of blood that made her want to cry again. Why red? Everything looked red in her eyes now. The light was tainting everything. Even Tim’s face was hidden in the haze of blood, blood, blood. And pain… oh god, she needed someone there. She could no longer feel him holding her tightly, and all she longed for was for it all to end, for something - anything! " to happen.. To stop this horrible invasion of her mind.
Everything was red…

She woke up as the first welt appeared on her skin, and heard herself scream in pain and fear. Her vision faded altogether, everything was black except his face, his maniac, grinning, wild and horrible face as he pressed it into her again on her arm, then in a fit of genius on her stomach. Her scream made his insane smile widen, his eyes wide, cold and ruthless and he stabbed her with the hot iron, gashing her arm. Possibly severing a ligament. She couldn’t feel it any more. Shock was beginning to set in as he worked at her, knife and burn, working to cause as much pain to her physical form as he could, destroying her flesh, her being.
Hurting her was all he wanted to do. Nothing else would ever sate him, it was his high and would remain so until the day she died. She deserved every bit of it! She’d broken Alex’s heart! And now… all the pain she had caused then, all the pain his other self had caused them both, she was going to pay. Tenfold if he could. And he wasn’t going to kill her… not yet. She could never feel the pain if she didn’t live.
Finally he finished, panting, ignoring the smell of singed flesh and the sight of the blood. She had passed out he assumed, and now all he could do was watch and wait, bide his time and wait for the next time when he could hunt her down like the beast she was, and finish the job. As one last token of his presence he lay the iron which he’d put back in the fire after he’d drawn his knife across the tattoo she’d gotten for Alex.
“Let that be a lesson,” He smirked, making his escape. There was just one more person now to find…

McGee still had her in his Arms as Jason and DiNozzo got there in order to pick him up. They went over and sat down on either side of the bed, DiNozzo watching with a small smile on his face and Jason absolutely unreadable. Finally McGee looked at them. “She remembers,” He mouthed. Jason didn’t respond, not sure wether or not to be relived or if he was going to cry that she would know about such a traumatic experience. DiNozzo smiled a little and stood to kiss her cheek. “Hey Abby.” he said softly. “At least now you remember that tattoo you we got.” He tugged up his sleeve a little, revealing a small rose he’d had done on the underside of his arm under his shirt line so it was virtually invisible. She’d finally convinced him, despite his stubborn hatred of needle-art, to get one with her.
She didn’t respond, staring blankly at the wall, Then, maybe thirty seconds late, she blinked and looked at him, smiling. “I remember.” She said softly, looking down at her arm, bared by the hospital-issue gown. The rose there was identical to DiNozzo’s. “It took so long to convince you…”
“How… how did you remember?” Jason asked her softly.
“Well-“ she began cheerfully, ignoring Tim’s blush. “Basically… Timmy kissed me and I remembered everything. It was a bit surprising after all.” She grinned. “And not half bad.”
Jason blinked.
DiNozzo did the same.
Then Abby started laughing, and McGee soon followed suit. “I love you guys.” She said through her giggles.
“Visiting hours are over,” A good natured nurse told them from the door. “I’m sorry, but I’ll have to ask you to leave.”
Jason and DiNozzo nodded, and McGee reluctantly disentangled himself from Abby’s embrace. “We’ll see you first thing tomorrow.” He promised with a brisk nod, then blushed again as she kissed him again. Jason respectfully looked away, though DiNozzo watched in interest. Then they finally left, leaving Abby lying in bed staring at the ceiling.

“I WANT TO KNOW WHO DID IT!” Jason roared, scaring his own team into life. He scowled as they darted around to phones and filing cabinets, computers and other agents to get the appropriate permission etcetera to do the proposed job.
“Do we have any leads?” He barked at the man who stood nearly, looking nervous at being so close to him when he was in that sort of mood. “Y-yes boss,” He said, sounding just like McGee when he was in trouble " even with the barest hint of a stutter. “We found hair at the scene, we missed it the first time. We pulled a partial print too.”
“AND?”
He shrank back. “Uh, we’re running the print now, and the hair is bleach blonde and male, but there was another one on the floor which either placed another person " a red-head woman " at the scene, or in direct contact with the attacker.
“Print matches!” Someone called.
“Abby’s ex boyfriend.” Jason hissed. “I don’t believe it. She has some dumb fucking luck, I tell you that.”
Gibbs stood up and began pacing. Where the hell were Ziva, Tony and McGee? He wished Abby were on the case, and that he didn’t have such a headache, that Ducky didn’t keep questioning the M.E. and that Jason would stop yelling. But from hat he knew, wishes never came true.
“Gibbs,” Ducky said, voice oddly strangled.
“Yes, Ducky?” He asked, voice gravely.
“What was the name of you ex wife?”
“Is now a time for questions like that, Duck?”
Ducky looked up at him. “I think so, Jethro.” He said grimly. On the screen was a flashing text - DNA DATA BANK MATCH. Behind that was a picture of a middle aged red-haired woman. Streaks of grey touched her hair, and her forest-green eyes were dark and sparkled with mischief. She was wearing a naval marine’s uniform.
“Abigail?” Gibbs asked, eyes dark.
“Apparently DNA data banks in Australia are used in things like maximum security prisons as well as fingerprints. The hair… it matches hers, Jethro.”
“Are you sure?”
He nodded. “99.9% accurate match.”
“Damn,” He whispered. “My ex wife is wanted for attempted murder.”
“And murder. Multiple counts.” Jason said tiredly, having seen the screen. “She’s one of our most notorious serial killers.”
Ducky looked at Gibbs. “I told you she was bad news.” He said. “Though I didn’t suspect she was this bad.”
“Neither did I, Duck, neither did I.”

-x-

“This a bad time?” Tony asked, walking in and seeing everyone in fervent activity besides a scowling Jason and Gibbs " scarily similar expressions on their faces " and Ducky, looking- now here was the scariest part " grumpy himself. Ducky did not get grumpy, Tony thought worriedly. Was the sun falling from the sky? Had some M.E. screwed up an autopsy?
“No.” Gibbs said quietly, voice starkly contrasting his expression. He sounded almost vulnerable… now Tony was really, really scared.
“Boss?”
“NO!” Gibbs shouted, in a roar more fearsome even then Jason’s. “Anthony DiNozzo, get your ass over here and get to work.”
Without prompting, McGee and Ziva both followed a stunned and saddened DiNozzo over to the three desks Jason had cleared for them, joining the frenzy.

-x-

On the other side of the country, a day later, was someone else having temper problems.
“Why didn’t you KILL her?” She screamed, slashing the man’s face with her red-painted nails, a bloody trail left behind on his skin. He stared at her, not even flinching. He was devout and loyal " he would never complain, never show any sign of weakness. Not until she came to Abby.
“You should have DROWNED that BITCH in her own BLOOD!” She slammed one stiletto-heeled foot into the aluminium wall, leaving a visible dent before breaking off to swear in pain. Again, anger had gotten the better of her. She stood panting, eyes fixed on the wall above Jesse’s head. Finally she lowered her gaze to his, as haughty and beautiful as she’d always been, as high and untouchable as any woman could get. She stalked over to the other side of the room, picking up a small block of some form of explosive, holding it to the light. She pursed her lips, then turned to look at him, waving the white block impishly.
“Oh, darling?”
A young man looked up at her from his place in the corner " his face was hidden in shadow. “Yes, love?”
“I have a plan.”

“A plan?” Jason echoed dimly.
“Yep.” DiNozzo said brightly.
“He does that.” McGee chipped in.
“Well, too.” Ziva said with a grin. Since everyone was staring at Jason she took the opportunity to reach behind Tony and lightly rub her hand on his back. She felt his shiver as she slipped her hand under his shirt and lightly ran her fingertips down across his bare skin. She quickly withdrew her hand when Gibbs sighed. It was a sign he’d be about to pay attention.
“Look.” He said, ice blue eyes travelling across everyone’s faces sharply. “I know how much you all want to help, but it’s going to be my team.”
“What about me?” Jason asked angrily. “She’s my sister!”
“I know.” Gibbs said, his eyes fixing on the young man before him. “Which is why I don’t want you to do it. You’d be too rash. And this isn’t just about your sister anymore, this woman is a killer. Jason, don’t argue. I want you here, and I want you to work on the case here. Of course you’ll be our first backup and emergency contact, even listen in on mikes if you want us to carry them.”
Jason hesitated before reluctantly nodding. “Okay.” He said softly. He saw the logic behind his words, but it didn’t stop him resenting the fact he had been pushed away. Finally he said, “We’d better get back to work then. Our lab team will have something soon.”
“Why don’t they have it now?” Gibbs asked, frowning at the inadequate speed.
“It wasn’t murder until now,” Jason reminded him. “Only assault. They had more significant cases to deal with, no matter that Abby is related to me. We’re pretty backed up at the moment.”
Gibbs nodded slightly, then looked at McGee. “I don’t suppose you-“ he swept his gaze to include DiNozzo and Ziva “-were clever enough to ask Abby what exactly had happened?”
McGee shook his head immediately. “I was worried she’d relapse, or get upset.”
“Damn it McGee! She’s not going to be comfortable with it for the rest of her life! I want you to talk to her first thing tomorrow. Then you can spend the rest of the time comforting her.”
“She gets out in two days.” Jason said softly. “She’ll be able to help out with-“
He was cut off by the sound of a ring-tone lending life a backing-track. Bizet’s Toreador Song played in the electric beeping music which had always set his teeth on edge.
“Yeah?” Gibbs answered " then his eyebrows lowered into a scowl. That expression soon changed to one of surprise, then worry. “Alright.” He said quietly, hanging up. He looked at his team and Jason. “We have a second victim.” He said quietly. “Let me rephrase " second confirmed victim. The man is deceased.”
“John Doe?” Jason and McGee asked at the same time.
“No.” Gibbs said grimly. “John DiNozzo.”
End Notes:
Beware DiNozzo-happys.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2706