Confession of Pain by mariep
Summary: Anthony Dinozzo thought he had outrun the nightmare that was his past. When it comes back to haunt him, he learns that the family he always wanted was right before his very eyes.
Categories: Gen Characters: Ziva David, Timothy McGee, T.C. Fornell, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Donald Mallard, Anthony DiNozzo, Abby Sciuto
Genre: Hurt/Comfort, Friendship, Angst
Pairing: None
Warnings: Dark story, Domestic abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 29393 Read: 92187 Published: 06/07/2010 Updated: 08/28/2010
Story Notes:
many OOC moments; I love hurt!Tony
mentions of CHILD ABUSE
Gibbs/Dinozzo (father/son)
I do not own the characters.

1. Confession of Pain by mariep

2. Chapter 2 by mariep

3. Chapter 3 by mariep

4. Chapter 4 by mariep

5. Chapter 5 by mariep

6. Chapter 6 by mariep

7. Chapter 7 by mariep

8. Chapter 8 by mariep

9. Chapter 9 by mariep

10. Chapter 10 by mariep

11. Chapter 11 by mariep

12. Chapter 12 by mariep

13. Chapter 13 by mariep

Confession of Pain by mariep
Author's Notes:
Anthony Dinozzo thought he had outrun the nightmare that was his past. When it comes back to haunt him, he learns that the family he always wanted was right before his very eyes.
Chapter 1

“Mobile campfire!” Tony exclaimed with a large grin on his face as he began to walk around the bullpen. Gibbs was off getting coffee and the group was working on a simple case of vandalism and a threatening letter at the Marine base. As he strutted down the hall, he said over his shoulder, “What do you think Probie?”

Tim rolled his eyes before answering.

“I saw that!” Tony responded as he kept walking.

“How could you have possibly seen that?” McGee asked in an annoyed tone.

“You have much to learn young Probie-wan.” Tony smirked even though Ziva and McGee could not see him.

“Is this really necessary, Tony?” Ziva asked.

“It’s a good way to keep the juices running, Zee-vah!” Tony answered. He looked down when he felt his phone vibrate.

“How can juice run?” Ziva turned to McGee and asked in an exasperated tone. “That makes no sense!”

Tony stopped abruptly, causing the two younger agents to crash into him.

“Tony!” They both yelled as they saw the senior agent hold his finger up to silence them. Tony glanced down at his phone. The number seemed familiar, but he wasn’t sure. Before answering it, he turned to the other two. “Toss some ideas around.”

“Bossy.” Ziva muttered under her breath.

“This is VERY Special Agent Anthony Dinozzo.” He answered with a bright smile. Soon, though, the joyous look on his face dissipated and Ziva and Tim saw the color drain from his normally tanned skin. “Yes…” Tony spoke into the phone quietly as he turned and walked away from them.

Ziva and Tim shared a look. Ordinarily, they would love to find anything to tease Tony with, but the serious look on their normally jovial friend, was concerning to them both.

“Yes, sir…” They heard Tony say as he closed the phone. For a moment, not realizing he was being watched, Tony ran a shaky hand through his hair as he stared at his phone. When he turned around, he saw Ziva and Tim watching him with concerned eyes. No words were said as Tony realized that he had no time to slip his mask back into place. He brushed past his friends and muttered, “Going for coffee.”

*

Ziva and McGee spent the rest of the day stealing glances at Tony who had been unnaturally quiet. If Gibbs had noticed, they were not sure. Finally the end of the day came. McGee had left already, leaving the other three members still there. Uncharacteristic for her, Ziva gingerly went over to Tony’s desk. “Are you okay, Tony?”

Tony looked up and forced a smile upon his face. Inside, he was screaming. “I’m fine, my little assassin.”

“You have been quiet since that phone call.” Ziva dared to push a little. She knew how Tony could deflect. Three years working with someone, you begin to understand that things may not always be as they appear. That was one valuable lesson her father had taught her. And the reason Tony was so masterful undercover.

“Oh, that?” Tony weakly laughed. “Just hearing from my financial planner about some bad investments.” He stood. “Guess I have to cut down on the designer shoes and suits. Sorry to disappoint you. I may need to start shopping at Sears like the Boss.”

“Nothing wrong with Sears, Dinozzo.” Gibbs said as he strolled into the bullpen.

Tony blushed. “Of course not, Boss.” He smiled as he tapped himself on the back of the head. “Good bargains found there.” He said quickly as he grabbed his gear and fled towards the elevator. “Night, Ziva. Night Boss!”

Ziva paused as her eyes narrowed slightly watching the senior agent leave. “Good night, Tony.” She stood thinking for a moment.

“Something on your mind, Zeever?” Gibbs asked as he holstered his gun and grabbed his badge and wallet.

“Tony was very quiet this afternoon.”

“Uh huh.” Gibbs curtly responded.

“We were having one of his grating campfires and he received a call. It seemed quite serious, Gibbs. And he has not acted like himself since.” She took a deep breath. “He said it was nothing.”

“Maybe it was nothing.” Gibbs said.

“I do not think so.” She grimaced slightly. “My ‘gut’ tells me otherwise.”

Gibbs smirked at her use of words. “I’ll look into it.”

She nodded. “Thank you.” She gathered her things. “Good night, Gibbs.”

“Night.”

*

As Gibbs spent part of the night sanding his boat, he thought about his conversation with Ziva. He had spent most of the day in meetings. When he had seen the team, the bullpen was mostly quiet. He figured at first, they were simply attending to their tasks. But, the area was so quiet, you could have heard a pin drop. Even when he was working hard, Tony still tended to keep an ongoing dialogue. That was what was missing this afternoon. It made him think of the time Tony was on medical leave after the Plague. He did not even think Kate and McGee realized how much of a stabilizing force Tony was for the team. He may seem juvenile and annoying half the time, but Tony kept things light in the midst of the dire situations they found themselves in. It did not take away from the fact that he was a hell of an investigator. Until his leave, the younger agents had not realized how Tony made the day more bearable at times and how he could still be a mentor to them.

It was late when he finished sanding. He would observe his senior agent at the office tomorrow and intervene if necessary.

*

Tony sat on his bed in his bedroom willing himself to get a grip. He looked at his phone. Nausea consumed him as he ran over to his bathroom and let out the meager dinner that he had eaten earlier. As the dry heaves subsided, he wiped the tears that had coursed down his face. He sat down on the cold tile of his bathroom, his back leaning against the shower doors. He tucked his knees up as he draped his arms over them. He sat there in his lonely despair, wondering what the hell he was going to do.

TBC…
End Notes:
-many OOC moments; I love hurt!Tony
-mentions of child abuse
-Dinozzo/Gibbs (father/son)
-I do not own the characters.
Chapter 2 by mariep
Author's Notes:
Summary: Anthony Dinozzo thought he had outrun the nightmare that was his past. When it comes back to haunt him, he learns that the family he always wanted was right before his very eyes.
The next morning, Tony strolled into the bullpen with an extra bounce in his step. He held a bag in his hand and the other held a coffee cup carrier.

“Hot bagels for everyone!” He exclaimed to the group.

“You’re late Dinozzo.” Gibbs said quietly as he looked up from his desk. He noticed Tony looked extra dapper today. He appeared to be wearing a new suit, his hair was perfectly combed, and his shoes were extra shiny. Gibbs couldn’t help but feel a sense of dread.

“Sorry, Boss.” He went over with some coffee. “The line at the coffee place was extra long. But, I got you their most toxic blend AND it’s a venti!”

“A whati?”

“Venti! That means their largest.” Tony smirked.

“Why can’t they just say large?” The team leader scowled as he took a sip. “Huh. Good stuff.”

That bit of approval made Tony’s smile even brighter. He went over to Tim and then to Ziva, and handed them their coffee and tea respectively and had them pick a warm bagel.

“Thanks, Tony.” Tim said with a smile. He felt relieved that Tony seemed to be back to normal. He had worried. He had mentioned something to Gibbs that morning.

“No problem, McLatte. Got the coffee right, I think.” He paused as Tim took a small amount.

“Yeah, thanks. I didn’t know you knew what kind I liked.”

Tony feigned shock. “Like I said yesterday, you have much to learn, Mcgrasshopper. It is called the power of observation.”

“Yeah, yeah…” Tim grinned as he turned his attention back to his computer.

“Thank you as well, Tony. I do love my morning tea.” Ziva said with a nod. She hoped that his good mood was genuine.

*

As the day progressed, Gibbs watched Tony carefully. On the surface, Tony seemed fine. He joked with his co-workers and made some astute observations. But Gibbs could sense something off about Tony. When they wrapped up for the day, Gibbs and Tony were the only two left in the bullpen.

“Gear up, Dinozzo. The reports can wait until morning.” Tony nodded and said nothing as he grabbed his backpack. The two men made their way to the elevator. As they rode down and subsequently made their way to their cars, Gibbs kept thinking of a way to voice his concerns without being too obvious.

“See you tomorrow, Boss.” Tony said quietly as he stopped at his car.

Jethro stood by him for a moment before speaking. “Tony…” he began. The use of his first name made Tony stand up straighter. “You know I’ve got your six, right?”

Tony looked at his boss with slightly confused eyes. Had he been so transparent? “What do you mean, Boss?”

Gibbs stepped closer to his senior agent and placed a hand on his shoulder. “It’s not just in work, having your six. We clear?”

Tony nodded as his eyes watered slightly. He had to find his voice to answer. “Gotcha, Boss.”

Gibbs genuinely smiled as he nodded as well. As he made his way to his car, he spoke, “My door is always unlocked.” With that Jethro got into his car and drove away.

*

Tony sat in his car for a few minutes before making his way to his place. As he stepped into his apartment, he took appraisal of his home for nearly five years. He had a few pictures on the wall of his family room area. There was one of him, Kate, and Abby. And there was a more recent picture of the current team. He stood next to Gibbs, leaning slightly towards him. That man meant everything to Tony. If it wasn’t for him, Tony would have packed up and left years ago. He knew people probably thought he followed Gibbs around like a lost puppy. But Gibbs gave him something he had always sought: stability. That’s why when Gibbs left for Mexico, it hit Tony hard. Those months were hell for him. He covered it well, but he missed the team leader so much. Having him back, even with his demotion, was worth it. That’s why he did not take the Rota job. He did not want to be that far away from the man he felt so close to. As he continued to stare at the photograph, he couldn’t help the tear that escaped. He took the picture off the wall and walked to his bedroom. He reached under his bed and grabbed his two larger suitcases. As he opened them, he looked around and couldn’t bare filling them. He sat down on his bed heavily. He attempted to take a deep calming breath but couldn’t help the sob that emerged.

After an hour, he sat in the same spot. He stood upon shaky legs and grabbed his keys and fled hastily to his car. He wasn’t sure where he was going as he drove through the streets of DC. After some time, he found himself in a neighborhood. He realized that he had made his way towards Gibbs’ house. He parked his car as he wiped his face. His Boss’ car was not in the driveway. Perhaps it was in the garage. It took a while for him to get the courage to leave his car. He slowly walked up the sidewalk and stood at the front door. He reached his hand up to knock, but he stopped abruptly. His hand shook as he placed it down against his side. After a few moments, he then placed it on the door knob. It took him some time to actually turn it. When he stepped inside, there was only the light in the kitchen illuminating the simple décor of Gibbs’ home. The house was eerily quiet. “Gibbs?” Tony said softly as he looked around. He quickly checked the basement but he was not there. He stopped at the base of the steps to the upstairs. He called up. “Gibbs?” He waited for a response. He looked around as his eyes watered. “Jethro?” His voice cracked as the tears began to flow down his face.

TBC…
End Notes:
warning: OOC
Chapter 3 by mariep
“Thanks for dinner again, Duck.” Gibbs said.

“It was a pleasure, old friend.” Ducky smiled as he shifted gears in his old Morgan. “I dare say that I am pleased you indulged me and tried the restaurant.”

“A little pricey there.” The former Marine commented.

“Yes, indeed, but their Foie Gras is to die for. And after all, it was my turn to treat. Next time, buyer’s choice.” Gibbs smirked as they were turning up his street. “Isn’t that young Anthony’s car, Jethro?” Ducky noticed as he pulled into the drive.

“Yes.” Gibbs said curtly as his stomach clenched.

Dr. Mallard noticed the tone of his friend. “Is there something wrong with the poor lad?”

“Something’s going on with him. I’m just not sure what it is. I told him today that he can talk to me.” He shook his head in slight disbelief. “I honestly didn’t think he would.”

“You underestimate how Tony feels about you, Jethro. He looks upon you as a father figure of sorts. That boy loves you.” He paused. “And I would be remiss if I did not mention that you care for him just the same.”

“Of course I care, Duck. He’s a member of my team.” Gibbs said as he opened the door to the vintage car.

“Leroy Jethro Gibbs.” Ducky said quietly. “You love that boy beyond the job and do not deny it. You both deserve more than that.”

Gibbs stopped and turned back to his friend. He wanted to deny Ducky’s claim, but he could not. “I do.”

“Have you told him?” He said as he stood beside Jethro.

“Not really a normal topic of conversation, Ducky.”

“Perhaps not. But after what I can assume was a less than stellar upbringing, it would benefit him to hear it more than you know.”

Gibbs paused. “What do you know about his Father?”

“Very little, unfortunately.” The medical examiner responded.

“Hmm.” Gibbs added as he looked at his house. “Let’s get inside.”

*

Gibbs opened up the front door and saw Tony sitting on the couch in the dark, head buried in his hands. Jethro realized that he needed a gentle touch. “Tony? I’m going to turn the light on.” As he did, the younger agent winced slightly as his eyes adjusted to the light. Gibbs worried when Tony said nothing. He had not changed his position. Gibbs joined him on the couch, but he didn’t sit too close. Ducky stayed by the door.

“Tony?” Gibbs said again in a soft tone as he placed his hand gently on Tony’s right knee. He was surprised when Tony flinched and scooted away. When he saw his senior agents face, he could see the red rimmed eyes and the tears rolling down his face. “Tony? I’m not going to hurt you. See? It’s me. Gibbs.”

Tony took his hands away from his face and looked at the voice. “You weren’t here…” Tony said, his voice sounding like a little boy to Ducky and Gibbs. The agent’s heart clenched. Something had hurt his Tony.

“I was out with Ducky.” He looked at the ME. “See? Ducky’s here with me.” The older man dared to step closer.

“Hello, dear boy.” Ducky sat down in the recliner.

Gibbs placed his hand on Tony’s leg again; this time pleased that he did not flinch. “I’m here now, Tony. Tell me what’s wrong.”

“I can’t…I can’t…don’ wanna leave…” Tony whispered as he became more distressed.

Gibbs moved closer to the man he thought of as his son. “It’s okay…I’m here. Let me help. Tell me what’s wrong. You don’t have to leave.” He grabbed Tony’s hands and held them in his. “I won’t let anything happen to you. Do you understand? You are mine.” Gibbs said with conviction. “I won’t let anyone or anything harm you.” He reached up and wiped some tears from Tony’s face. He gently turned his chin up so he could face him. Tony’s eyes looked so innocent, so scared. “Please, Tony.”

He held his Boss’ gaze for a moment, but then had to look away. No one could help him, not even Gibbs, right? So many thoughts were barreling through Tony’s head. No one could help him. But when he heard Gibbs say please, hope blossomed within him.

Gibbs knew Tony was scared, but he needed Tony to talk. He was hoping this wouldn’t backfire, but he had to try. He spoke softly. “Tony, is this about the phone call you got?”

Tony’s head shot up at the question. “H-How?”

“Ziva and McGee told me Tony. They were worried about you. They love you. We all do. Let us help you.”

Ducky interjected. “We’re your family, Anthony.”

Tony nodded his head as he debated whether to tell. Fresh tears poured as a sob escaped his lips. He tried to calm himself but his voice wouldn’t abide. After some time, he spoke. His heart clamored away in his chest as he felt himself hyperventilating. “F-father c-called…” He wanted to slap himself for stuttering like a fool like he did when he was younger. “S-sorry…”

Gibbs had an idea why Tony was apologizing. “It’s okay.” He stroked Tony’s hair, a gesture that caused Tony to lean slightly into him.

“H-he’s c-coming n-next w-week…” Tony began to shake his head.

Gibbs stole a glance at Ducky. Both men had worry in their eyes. Ducky gave him gesture that encouraged him to continue to gently prod.

“When did you see him last, Tony?”

After some time, Tony answered, head still down, not able to make eye contact. “B-Baltimore. B-before I c-came h-here.” He sniffled. “I don’t wanna leave…”

“You don’t have to leave, Tony.”

“He f-found me…” Tony looked up with innocent eyes, sounding again like a little boy lost. “T-this is the f-first p-place I l-love! I don’t wanna leave! Please!”

Jethro gently grabbed Tony’s face with his hands. “You don’t have to leave, Tony.”

“I can’t anymore…I can’t…” Tony pulled himself back and wrapped his arms around himself.

“Tony…” Gibbs was at a loss for words. A lump in his throat had formed. But he forced himself to continue. “Tony, does your father hurt you?” He saw Tony bit his lip and look away. He moved closer to his agent. “You can tell me, son.”

“Can’t…” Tony answered as he looked down shook his head frantically. He whispered, “can’t tell grown ups…grown ups can‘t help…”

At that admission, Gibbs looked at Ducky with fear and uncertainty in his eyes. Gibbs has rarely been at a loss before, but he was feeling like he was about to lose control. As much as he wanted Ducky to continue the questioning, he knew it had to be him.

“Tony, listen to me. Not all grown ups are bad. I will believe you. Okay? I will believe you.” He stroked the younger man’s hair gently. “I love you, Tony. Like you were my own. I would never hurt you.” He pleaded with his senior agent. Tony eventually looked up, so Gibbs continued. “Tony, does your father hit you?” He waited with bated breath as Tony slowly and innocently nodded to the question.

As horrific as that admission was, Gibbs’ gut told him he needed to go farther. He took a calming breath to prepare himself. “Tony, does your father touch you?” Tony bit his lip as he looked down. A muffled sob came from him as he covered his face with his hands. Tony felt himself be pulled towards Gibbs as the older man embraced his broken agent. “Shh…it’s okay…I’m here…” Gibbs whispered as he gently held Tony head against his chest, stroking his head, whispering comforting words in his ear. Gibbs stole a look up at Ducky. Both men had a murderous glare in their eyes. Gibbs looked back at Tony and placed a kiss on the top of his head. “I’ve got you…”

It felt so good to be in Gibbs’ arms, Tony thought. For the first time in his life, he felt safe. But his insecurities reappeared quickly as he extracted himself from his Boss’ arms. “Y-you believe m-me?” Tony whispered as he looked upon Gibbs.

“Yes.” The former marine said with certainty as he answered. He looked at the ME.

“Of course, Anthony. What your father did is inexcusable.”

Tony stood as his distress rose again. “B-but h-he said I l-liked it…d-deserved i-it…” He looked at Gibbs with his panic in his eyes as he began to back up. “I-I d-didn’t I-I s-swear…I-I t-told him t-to s-stop! I s-swear…” His back hit the wall and he slid to the ground.

“Tony…” Gibbs responded by sitting on the ground with him. He cradled the senior agent in his arms and kissed him on the head. “Of course you didn’t…your father is the sick bastard, Tony.” They sat like that for some time before Gibbs spoke again. “How old, Tony…when he started…”

Tony turned his head into Gibbs chest and inhaled the scent that was Gibbs. It always made him feel better. His answer shook Gibbs to his core. “T-ten…” Tony responded in a tiny voice.

Jethro had to close his eyes and counted to calm himself down. Tony could sense the increased tension because he looked at Gibbs with panic in his eyes. “No, I’m not mad at you, sweetheart. I’m mad at him.” He gave Tony an extra squeeze. “I swear to you, he will NEVR hurt you again.”

*

After Ducky made Tony some tea, Gibbs managed to get Tony to bed. He had Tony change into some of his USMC sweats. Being in Gibbs’ clothes seemed to offer Tony some comfort. Ducky considered a slight sedative, but they both thought against it. Ducky heart had melted when he watched from the hallway as Jethro gently tucked Tony in. If there was ever a doubt how close those two were, the unfortunate revelations of tonight solidified their bond. Gibbs stayed close to the stairs to listen for any sign of distress from him. He went downstairs briefly and grabbed his bourbon and two glasses. He poured generous amounts and handed one to Ducky and quickly downed his. Even Ducky was at a loss for words regarding Tony’s confession tonight, so the two old friends sat in silence. Jethro offered his bed to the ME. Gibbs knew he would spend the night watching Tony closely. Before he and Ducky retired upstairs, Gibbs made a call. As he waited for the person to answer, he nodded at Ducky.

“What do you want, Jethro? It‘s late. You know that, right?”

“Yep. Look, Tobias. I need your help…”

TBC…
Chapter 4 by mariep
In the morning, Jethro and Ducky were the first to arise. Tony was still asleep as it took some time for him to settle during the night. He woke up a few times with nightmares, but finally drifted into dreamless sleep at about three am. Gibbs managed to catch a few hours himself.

He was shaken by Tony’s admission. He was sipping on some coffee in the kitchen while Ducky drank some tea.

“What did Agent Fornell say, Jethro?” Ducky asked as he sipped his Earl Grey.

“He agreed to take on the case for us. Despite the fact that Tony is an NCIS agent, this falls under FBI jurisdiction, not ours. We’re going to meet with him this afternoon.”

“We, Jethro? Do you think Anthony will be able to discuss this with the FBI?” He sighed. “He just made the admission. I doubt he will be able to open up so soon.”

“We have to do something, Duck. His father is coming in a week. I can’t have Tony running. I have to find something to get him on. Fornell will be able to help.” Gibbs took a deep breath. “I just need some time to figure out how we’ll play this. I WILL get the bastard for what he did to Tony. Somehow.”

“Agreed, Jethro. Agreed.”

*

Tony slowly awakened. At first, he was not sure where he was. He shot up in bed panting, wildly looking around. When he inhaled, he noticed the distinct scent surrounding him: GIBBS. He was at his Boss’ house. He was safe. When he was able to calm down his breathing, he groaned to himself. He couldn’t believe he lost control last night. He couldn’t believe he told Gibbs and Ducky his deepest shame and secret. Now, they would never look at him the same. He would have to leave for sure. Tony stood on shaky legs and walked out of the bedroom. He heard voices downstairs. He was not sure what he should do. He could feign sleep for a little longer, but he realized he had to face the music. He felt so rattled, he could not even muster a smile or a joke to cover his embarrassment.

“Anthony.” Ducky said as the young agent walked in the room. Gibbs heart melted as Tony walked in. He looked very comfortable in sweatpants and sweatshirt. His hair was going in all directions. The thirty two year old agent managed to look much younger. Tony said nothing as he sat down, unable to look either man in the eye. There was awkward silence initially, when Gibbs finally spoke.

“Coffee, Tony?” He stood and walked to the coffee pot and poured him a cup. He brought some milk from the fridge and handed them to him. He slid the sugar bowl over as well. “It’s not that hazelnut crap you like, but it’s something.”

Tony looked up at Gibbs and managed a small smile as he said quietly, “Thanks, Boss.” He then ducked his head shyly and began to doctor his coffee.

Ducky sensed that Tony and Gibbs needed some time alone. He took one last sip and stood. “I must get home and check on mother. I will see you at the office.” He smiled kindly as he stood before Tony. “Dear boy.” He leaned over and kissed Tony on the head. He nodded at Jethro and left.

Gibbs stood and walked back to the counter. He placed some bread in the toaster and pressed down. He said nothing as he waited for it to cook. When it was done, he grabbed some butter and jam, placed the toast on a plate, and brought it to the table. “Eat.” He said curtly as he looked at his young charge.

“But, I’m not really hungry.” Tony shrugged his shoulders.

“Please, Tony. You need something in your belly.”

Tony chuckled slightly. “That’s twice you’ve said please to me now.”

Gibbs smirked. “I’ve been known to throw the word around, when it’s important.”

Tony’s eyes watered as he shook his head and looked down as he shoved the food away from him. He whispered, voice cracking, “How can you even look at me?”

Gibbs scooted his chair closer to him. He gently grasped his chin and made him look up. “I can look at you because you are a brave man. Despite what he did to you, you have grown up to be a fantastic person and the best young agent I have ever worked with.” Gibbs nodded his head to punctuate his point. “I am so proud of you for coming to me last night; for trusting me. I am sure that was so hard for you. But, you are so brave, Tony.”

“I’m not…” Tony softly answered.

“Yes, you are. And listen to me.” Tony gazed up again. “I meant what I said last night. I will not let him hurt you again.”

Tony leaned towards Gibbs. As Jethro embraced him, Tony asked in a quiet voice with hope underlying everything, “Promise?”

Gibbs kissed him on his forehead. “Promise, sweetheart. Remember, you’re mine. He will never lay a hand on you again.”

*

Gibbs drove Tony to his apartment so he could shower and pack some clothes. He asked Tony to stay at his place for the time being. Gibbs felt safer knowing Tony was with him at all times until they figured out their next move. He had to convince Tony to come into work, though. He thought he understood Tony’s fear, but the younger man said very little en route to the Navy Yard. When they arrived, Tony stood by the car once they were in the garage. “I c-can’t.” He said, voice quivering.

“Tony. It’s okay.”

“No, it’s NOT!” He said as he walked a few steps away from the lead agent.

“Then explain it to me.” Gibbs kept his tone deliberately neutral.

“When they find out, they’re going to t-treat me d-different!” His stutter became more apparent as he became more agitated.

“Tony, they are your friends and co-workers. We need them to help us so we can keep you safe. They won‘t judge you.”

“No! I don’t need their help!” Tony’s eyes became wild as he looked around. “I-I just n-need to go…” He looked as though he wanted to bolt.

Gibbs walked up to him and stopped his frenzied movements by grasping him gently by the shoulders. “No, Tony. You don’t need to run anymore.”

Tony shook his head back and forth. “I-I…” He began to hyperventilate.

Gibbs steadied him with his palm against his cheek. “No. No more running. This time you have family that can help you. You’re not alone, Tony. Not anymore.”

As he took deep breaths to calm himself, he kept his head bowed as he said, “I-I’m scared.”

“I know.” He placed his arm around Tony and led him into the building.

*

As they entered, they went straight down to Abby’s lab. He left Tony just outside the lab and went in to talk with Abby first.

“Abs.” Gibbs said.

“Bossman!” She leaned in to get her daily kiss on the cheek. “I don’t have anything for you. I mean, since we don’t have an active case. I guess that’s why you didn’t bring a Caf Pow…”

“Abbs.” He interjected. “I need you to listen to me.”

“Sure, what’s up?” She looked beyond him. “Why is Tony standing in the hall?”

“Abby, in about half an hour I need you to come to the conference room and I will explain everything. In the mean time, I want Tony to lay down on your cot.”

“Oh my God, is he sick? Is it the Plague?” She asked, concern lacing her tone.

“No, Abbs. I promise I will explain. But Tony needs a little peace for now. Can you please not ask him what’s wrong. You’ll understand soon enough.”

“Can I hug him?” She asked with puppy dog eyes.

Gibbs couldn’t help but smile. “Sure.” He walked away to get Tony. Abby saw through the glass door Gibbs say something to Tony. Tony gazed towards the lab with a skeptical look, but allowed himself to be led in. Abby was nearly in shock when she noticed Tony’s appearance. His hair was still neat but not styled. Despite darker circles under his eyes, he looked much younger. His shoulders were slightly slumped forward. Instead of his high end suits, he wore a polo shirt, some old khakis, and tennis shoes.

“Hey, Tonyboy.” Abby said softly as she smiled at her friend. She was pleased when he did make eye contact with her.

“Abbs.” He answered, practically a whisper. He allowed himself to be led over to her cot. Gibbs sat him down and whispered in his ear that he would be back. Abby sat down next to Tony and did not crowd him and talk incessantly, demanding to know what was wrong with him. She leaned over and gave him a quick hug and kiss on the cheek. She stood. “Love you, Tony.” She went to the lab to work.

Tony felt himself blush slightly as warmth spread through him. He lay down on the cot and tried to sleep.

*

Gibbs walked to the bullpen to see Ziva and McGee getting some morning work done.

“Hey, Boss.” McGee said. “Have you seen, Tony?”

“Yep. He’s down with Abby.” He looked at his two agents. “I need you two in the conference room in about thirty minutes. I need to talk to the Director first. Abby, Ducky, and Palmer will meet us there.”

“What about Tony?” Ziva asked, concern in her voice.

As Gibbs walked away and sprinted up the steps, he said, “It’s about Tony.”

*

Vance sat behind his desk, hands clasped in front of him. “And this has been occurring since what age?”

“Ten.” Gibbs answered as he sat forward in his chair.

“Jesus.” Vance stood and walked to the window. “My daughter is ten. I couldn’t ever imagine…” He shook his head in disbelief. “How is Dinozzo?”

“A wreck, as you can imagine. But, he‘s a strong kid.” He paused. “I’m bringing the FBI in on this, Leon. We have to find some way to get this bastard.”

“I agree.”

“Fornell’s coming later today.”

“Will your boy be up to talking with him?”

“I don’t know. Maybe if I’m with him, it’ll help.” He sighed. “I need my team off rotation right now, Leon. I need to find out anything and everything about Dinozzo senior. If he’s coming next week, we don’t have much time.”

“Consider your team assigned to his case. But, you need to let it appear to be all within the purview of the FBI. They need to get all the credit.”

Gibbs smirked as he walked away. “Don’t they always?”

*

As he waited for the team to take their seats, he knew they were all eager to understand what was going on.

“What I am going to tell you stays among our team.” He looked around and then his eyes rested upon his junior agents. “Ziva and McGee. A few days ago you mentioned your concern over a phone call Tony received.”

“Yes.” Ziva answered, while McGee nodded.

“It turns out it was Tony’s father.” Abby’s eyes narrowed at the mention of Dinozzo senior. “He is coming to visit him next week.”

“And that is not good news, yes?” Ziva asked.

“Tony doesn’t mention his father much.” McGee interjected. “He said a few things here and there, but I was never sure what the truth was.”

Gibbs continued. “Last night, Tony came to my place. He was terrified and upset. It was hard for him to tell me and Ducky, but he admitted that when his father comes around he hurts him.”

Abby stood as her eyes narrowed. “What do mean hurts him?” She said in a serious tone.

Gibbs took a deep breath. “Since he was ten, his father has physically and…sexually abused Tony.”

Abby gasped as she covered her mouth in disbelief. McGee looked down and Ziva clenched her fists. Palmer looked to Dr. Mallard in shock. For a time no one said anything.

Gibbs continued. “Tony was reluctant to come here today. He is scared and is worried the group will treat him differently and judge him. His first instinct is to run.”

Abby spoke, “How could he think that? We love him.”

“Abigail, Tony has had many years to form his masks that cover his fear and pain. When his father came to him in the past, he left his other jobs, hoping to escape. If we know what he went through, he may feel stripped bare, he feels vulnerable.” Ducky explained. “He needs our support, but is worried all he will get is pity.”

“What about his father, Gibbs?” Ziva asked with a serious glare.

“Fornell is coming to talk with Tony today. This will be an FBI investigation with us aiding in the background. The Director is aware. We need to do what it takes to find out anything and everything on Tony’s father.”

“He’s coming next week, Agent Gibbs?” Palmer asked.

Gibbs nodded. “So, any digging we do needs to be discrete. We cannot do anything that alerts him to our investigation. After Fornell talks with Tony, hopefully we’ll have more to go on.”

“If he was abused,” McGee said, “there has to be records of it, right?”

“I don’t know.” Gibbs said. “I haven’t delved into those issues yet with Tony.” He paused. “We’ll meet again after talking with Tobias.”

*

Tony lay sleeping in the lab. He felt a gentle hand on his back and his eyes slowly opened. He looked upon Gibbs. He remembered he was in the lab. He slowly sat up with help from his mentor. Gibbs guided him to a chair. “Tony, everyone wants to see you. Is that okay?”

Tony wanted to say no, but Gibbs assured them that they would not pass judgment upon him; they were his friends, his family. He reluctantly nodded and they made their way up. Tony felt like his heart was in his throat as they walked into the bullpen. He stood in the center next to Gibbs. His eyes couldn’t rest on them. Abby came up first and hugged him tightly. She whispered in his ear, “Remember, I can kill someone and leave no trace of it.” Tony found himself hugging her back, almost holding on for dear life. She led him to his chair when she felt he was a bit unsteady.

McGee sat on the desk as Tony sat. The senior agent still could not make eye contact. “We’ll get the bastard, Tony. We’ve got your six.” He placed a hand on Tony’s shoulder. “We don’t want you to leave. I still have some things to learn from you.” He smirked. “Plus, who else would make fun of me?”

Tony smiled slightly. “Thanks, Tim.”

Ziva looked at him. “You know the things I can do with a paperclip and my ninja skills.” She was pleased when Tony gazed up. “We’re here for you, Tony. It is not pity. One thing I have learned since being here is the real concept of family. It does not have to be blood. Remember that.” Tony nodded his thanks.

Palmer sat opposite Tim on the desk. “Whatever you need, Tony. We’re here.”

“Thanks, Jimmy.” Tony whispered and looked down again at his hands.

Gibbs sensed Tony was getting overwhelmed, so he motioned for everyone to return to their respective places. He held Tony’s arms and helped him up and led him towards the conference room. He poured him a cup of water and himself a cup of coffee and sat down. They sat in silence for a bit. Jethro stood and told Tony he was gong to the restroom. Tony nodded but said nothing. He felt emotionally drained.

*

After Gibbs finished and washed his hands, he took out his phone. He dialed a number and waited.

“Hello?”

“Dad?”

“Jethro! How are you, boy? What’s wrong?” Jethro had to smile. His father was always so suspicious. “Is it Tony?” Since Jethro had reconciled with is father a few years ago, he knew that Tony and Jack kept in touch.

“How’d you know?” Jethro asked.

“Intuition.” Jethro could imagine Jack’s smug look on his face. “Is he sick? Kidnapped? That boy seems to attract trouble.”

“It’s hard to talk about over the phone, Dad.” There was a tone of defeat in Gibbs’ voice.

“I’m going to pack up and come there.”

“You don’t have to, Dad.”

“Nonsense, Leroy. I’ll be there tomorrow.” And with that, Jack hung up.

*

As he made his way back to the conference room, Gibbs saw Fornell exit the elevator.

“Tobias. Thanks for coming. I haven’t told Tony about your involvement yet.”

“I suspected as much. Is he going to be able to cooperate?”

“I hope so.” He looked at the folder in his friend’s hand. “What’s all that?”

“Information on Dinozzo senior.”

“You compiled it that fast?”

Fornell shook his head. “No, open case file.”

“Really?” That made Gibbs smile.

“Yep, Daddy Dinozzo has been watched by us for almost ten years. There are some shady business dealings among other things.”

“Yet, nothing concrete.” Gibbs scowled.

“Placed on the back burner for other cases.”

“Huh.” He gestured towards the conference room. “I don’t want to leave him alone too long.” As he started towards Tony, Fornell grabbed his arm.

“Jethro, I would prefer to interview him down at the Hoover Building. I want my people recording. We have to do everything by the book. Plus, I have a woman down there that specializes in interviews of people who have suffered molestations, rapes, and sexual slavery. She would be in the room with us.”

“I’ll try, Tobias. But he’s pretty shaken up. A more familiar atmosphere might be better.”

“I get that, but this has to be done by the letter. Dinozzo senior is an extremely powerful man with even more powerful friends. If this goes down in our favor, it will be a major scandal. I just want all my T’s crossed and I’s dotted.”

Jethro sighed. “I’ll see what I can do.”

*

As they entered the conference room, Tony looked upon them with wide eyes. He stood up immediately when he saw Fornell.

“Gibbs?” He said, a hint of disbelief in his voice.

“Tony, Tobias is here to help.” He gestured for him to sit. “Trust me, okay?”

“Hey, Dinozzo.” Fornell said in a soft tone. Tony looked like a scared little animal, not the usually confident federal agent he had known for the last five years.

“I called him to help us, Tony. NCIS can’t investigate your father. It has to be the FBI.”

“Investigate?” Tony said in a tight tone. “T-Then h-he’ll know I-I said s-something!” He went towards the window. “H-He s-said I-if I-I ever tell, h-he’ll hurt me m-more!” Tony tried to take calming breaths. After some moments, he did. “He’ll make sure I can never talk again. He said he’ll tell my Bosses that I did bad things so I’ll get fired! He said h-he had p-pictures and v-videos of m-me!”

“That’s blackmail, Tony.” Fornell said. “And coercion. Not to mention rape and incest.”

“You can’t prove it!” Tony was increasingly more agitated. Gibbs walked up to him.

“Hey.” He said in a gentle tone, as he placed a hand on his arm. “We want to stop him. The feds have an open case file on him. We just need to figure out our next move. I need you to talk to Tobias.”

“H-here?” He asked in a tiny voice.

“At their headquarters.” Before Tony could protest, Gibbs continued. “I’ll be right there with you.” He wanted to sound reassuring. “We will stop your father. One way or another. We just need more information.” He brushed the gathering tear away from Tony’s striking hazel eyes. “I know it’s painful and scary to talk about it, but it will help take him down. He doesn’t deserve to get away with hurting you.”

After some time, Tony looked at Fornell. He seemed genuine in his concern. He gazed back at Jethro. He nodded reluctantly.

“Good job.” Gibbs leaned in and kissed Tony on the forehead. Fornell turned to leave, followed by Tony and Gibbs.

TBC…
End Notes:
AN: minor changes in canon. Tony is 32 y/o in the fic. 'Heartland' never happened. Gibbs and Jackson repaired their relationship a few years before the fic.
Chapter 5 by mariep
Chapter 5

After many hours at FBI headquarters, Gibbs and Tony were finally heading home. The younger man was emotionally and physically exhausted. He was currently in the restroom, needing to splash some water on his face.

Gibbs was waiting for him just outside the entry. The lead agent was simply trying to process everything that Tony had revealed in his interview. He admired Tony even more for being able to be functional after everything he had been through. He took a deep breath and then speed dialed a number on his cell.

“Boss?” McGee answered. “How’s Tony?”

“Surviving. He did real good. Listen, Tim, Fornell is going to email you a list of names Tony mentioned. A few are doctors he remembered who examined him as a child. Tony confided in a teacher once, but nothing happened. The school apparently received a large cash donation from Tony’s father. Start looking into things in the morning. Be discreet. Don’t outright confront anyone. If Senior had them on the payroll or anything like that, we can’t alert him to anything.”

“Sure, Boss.”

*

The door to the bathroom opened and Tony stepped out wearily. He was practically asleep on his feet. He knew he was simply interviewed, but he felt like he had been interrogated. He did not know the point of all of this, nothing could touch his father. He allowed Gibbs to lead him to the car. Tony said nothing as he lay his head against the window and drifted asleep. He did not realize that Gibbs stopped at Tony’s favorite pizza parlor and picked up dinner. He awoke when they returned to Gibbs’ house.

“Tony? Come on, Buddy. Up and at ‘em.”

Tony stretched as he left the car. “Smells good…” He commented as they entered the home.

“Sit down.” Gibbs gently urged as he grabbed two plates and some soda from the fridge. He would normally serve beer, but Jethro didn’t think getting Tony drunk would be helpful.

Tony looked at the pizza. “My favorite.” Tony had a sad smile on his face.

“Uh Huh.” Jethro responded as he plucked a piece from the box and shoved it in his mouth.

Tony pondered for a moment. “I don’t think my father knew my favorite anything.” He said softly as he picked a small morsel of cheese from his piece and placed it in his mouth. As hungry as he seemed, he wasn’t sure he could stomach eating. He then looked at Gibbs. “Why do you?” He asked innocently, not understand the kindness his Boss had shown him.

“Because I do.”

“Why?” Tony asked again.

Gibbs placed his pizza down and cursed Tony’s father internally. Senior didn’t deserve a son like him. “Tony, when I lost Shannon and Kelly…” Gibbs paused as his voice cracked. Even after all these years, it was still so hard to talk about. But, Tony was worth it. “My heart shut down. Even though I remarried, I couldn’t bare to have anymore kids. I couldn’t risk my heart like that again. I couldn’t go through that ever again.” He shook his head. “And then I met this smart ass Detective from the Baltimore PD. He was cocky, but had the know how to back it up.” He stopped as Tony blushed and looked away. “I was lucky that he signed on to join me.” Gibbs leaned closer to Tony. “And here’s the thing.” He paused to make sure he had Tony’s full attention. “I care about my team. I may have a funny way of showing it, but I care.” He grabbed Tony’s hand. “But you were different, Tony. When I thought Sacko had you, when you fell out of the plane, when that crazy woman gave you the Plague, I was scared. I was scared knowing that I could lose you. I was devastated when we lost Kate, but I would have been destroyed if I had lost you.” Gibbs said with conviction as his eyes watered. “I can’t bare to lose another child.”

Tony turned to him with tears in his eyes. “Gibbs?” He whispered.

“I meant it last night when I said I love you like my own. In my heart, I have two children: you and Kelly.”

Tony stood in disbelief and knocked over his chair. “No, you can’t mean that!” He walked over to the other side of the kitchen.

“Tony, have you ever known me to say anything I didn’t mean?”

Tony wouldn’t hear him. He frantically shook his head. “I’m s-stupid and a s-screw up! I-I’m worthless!”

“No, Tony! No, you’re not. You’re my son and I love you.” Gibbs said as he embraced the crying man.

Tony grasped onto Gibbs shirt as if were his lifeline. Gibbs led them back to sit down. Tony sobbed heavily as he let Gibbs’ words wash over him. He leaned back and wiped his face. “W-What happens when you’re sick of me?” He bit his lower lip.

“Not going to happen.” Gibbs answered firmly.

“But, I-I’ll screw up.”

“All kids do. It doesn’t mean I’d love you any less.”

“I’m not sure if I can believe you.” He said so quietly, almost a whisper.

“Tony, look at me.” He waited for his gaze to come upward. “Do you love me?” Tony shyly nodded. “Do you trust me?”

“Yes.”

“Then everything else will work itself out.” He waited for a time as Tony was deep in thought.

He replied in the saddest voice Jethro had ever heard. “No one’s ever loved me before.”

TBC…
Chapter 6 by mariep
“No one’s ever loved me before.”

*

Gibbs stared at Tony, at a loss for words. Jethro’s childhood was by no means perfect, but he knew people cared about him. To grow up your whole life and to feel no one cared? He could not even begin to imagine what hell Tony went through.

“How about your mother, Tony?”

The younger agent chuckled bitterly. “My mother was more concerned with parties and her clothes than me. Sure, she liked to dress me up and parade me around, but…” Tony paused, “she never tucked me in, or was there when I was sick, or read to me…” Tony trailed off, the memory burdening his already fragile heart.

“I’m sorry.” Gibbs said quietly as he watched his broken agent. “I love you, Tony.” The Italian turned his head away. “I know you find it hard to believe, but it’s true. They were wrong Tony. You’re not worthless or stupid. They’re the bastards for not realizing what a wonderful person you are and became despite them.”

“I’m tired.” Tony responded, effectively ending the conversation. He felt overwhelmed by emotion. He wanted to believe Gibbs so much, but could he?

“Let’s turn in. Do you want to shower now or tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Okay, go get changed.” He smiled as he watch Tony rub his sleepy eyes and make his way upstairs. He gave the younger man a little time and then followed him up. Tony was laying on his side in bed when Gibbs walked in. He sat next to Tony and stroked his head. Tony turned over to face Gibbs. He took the cover and placed in over Tony’s chest.

“I will keep you safe, Tony.” After some time, the senior agent bit his lip, scared to ask a question. Gibbs sensed this. “What is it?”

“Would…could you stay ‘til I-I fall asleep?”

Gibbs smiled as he leaned down to kiss Tony’s forehead. “Of course.” He patted his shoulder and then went to sit in the chair near the bed. “I love you, son.” The feeling in Gibbs’ heart to finally acknowledge his feelings made him feel more whole than he had in years.

Tony could not describe how he felt to hear Gibbs say those words. They were such simple ones that he had been searching for his entire life. He never heard it from his parents. But to hear the man he admired most in the world say them, it was beyond words. His heart beat wildly in his chest as he was terrified to respond. But he wanted to take a chance that Gibbs wasn‘t fooling him and that he genuinely cared. The man whom he often described as a functional mute had opened up to him over the last few days. He put himself out there and took a chance to tell Tony how he felt. So maybe, Tony could too. He wanted to say what was in his heart. He mustered up his courage as he stared at Gibbs. “Love y-you too…”

*

The next morning in the bullpen, McGee was busy attempting to track down some of the names the FBI provided. After some time, he looked up at Ziva.

“Any luck?” She asked.

“I think so. It appears a Dr. Michael Angotti was the Dinozzo personal family doctor. He was on staff at Long Island Community Hospital. He died five years ago, but I wonder if we’d be able to access records if Tony was treated at the hospital.”

“How long can they keep records?” Ziva said as she came over to Tim’s desk.

“Many hospitals use record storing facilities and keep them indefinitely.” He paused. “My only worry is that we would need a warrant. If we do, I hope they do not somehow contact Tony‘s father before we can confront him.”

Ziva leaned over to the list of names on Tim’s desk. “Who is this?”

“I believe it was one of Tony’s former nannies.” Tim thought for a moment. “Let’s see if we can track her down.”

*

Tony awoke to the faint smell of bacon wafting through the air. He smiled slightly as he sat up. He managed to feel well rested, despite the emotional roller coaster of the last few days. His stomach growled, reminding him that he had barely eaten last night. He made his way downstairs and saw Gibbs sitting at the kitchen table sipping on his coffee and reading the paper.

“Hi.” Tony said quietly as he walked in.

“Hey.” Gibbs responded as he placed his paper down. “Fresh coffee and there are pancakes and bacon warming in the oven.”

“Wow, Boss. Maybe I should call you Betty Crocker.” Tony smirked slightly.

Gibbs was pleased to see Tony had relaxed slightly. He tapped Tony lightly on the head, but then stepped back.

“What?” Tony asked with a confused tone.

“Do the head slaps upset you?” The last thing Gibbs ever wanted to do was remind him of his father.

Tony shook his head and looked sincerely at his Boss, understanding what he meant. “You aren‘t like my father, Gibbs.” He looked shyly down. “Abby once said that your head slaps made me feel wanted.” He shrugged his shoulders. “I never minded them. It made me refocus, pay attention.”

“Good,” Gibbs let out a sigh, “you know I would never hurt you, right?”

“I know.” He sat down after he filled his plate. He poured some syrup on his pancakes and took a bite. With his mouth full, he said, “dis is goos.”

Jethro grinned. “Glad you like them, Dinozzo.” They ate in comfortable silence. After they cleaned up, they sat in the family room.

“We should go in to the office.”

Tony frowned. “Do we have to?”

“Are you still nervous about the others, Tony? You don’t need to be.”

Tony sighed heavily. “You say that, now, Boss. But, they know things now…they’ll never see me the same.” He shook his head slightly as he whispered. “I just wish I could forget.” He sniffled slightly.

Gibbs put his arm around him as he felt Tony lean into him, his head resting on Jethro’s shoulder. “I know. I wish I could take it all away for you.”

“Why did he hate me so much?” His voice full of despair. “He never stopped. I would try so hard to be good. He didn’t care!” He sat up, his hands covered his eyes, rubbing them roughly. “I-I begged him to stop…t-that I didn’t want him to…h-he would just hit me harder…and…and then…h-he‘d” Tony could not even place into words the terror and pain he felt when his father would rape him. Tony became lost in his memories, he sat there hyperventilating, his eyes wild and unfocused.

“Tony!” Gibbs said as he grabbed each side of his face. “It’s okay. Stay with me, buddy. Come on…“ Gibbs kept whispering comforting words to the distressed man and slowly his breathing calmed and his gaze seemed more focused. “That’s it. Breathe with me, alright? In and out…in and out…”

Tony shook his head once and then looked at Gibbs. “Boss?”

“I’m right here, Bud. See?” He gestured around the room so Tony could realize that he was in a safe environment.

“W-What happened?” Tony looked the picture of innocence. Gibbs heartbeat was returning to normal.

“Nothing, Tony.” He embraced his son tightly. He tried to keep the worry out of his voice. “You’re fine. Everything is going to be fine.”

TBC…
End Notes:
Mentions of child abuse
Chapter 7 by mariep
Chapter 7

When Gibbs was sure Tony had calmed down sufficiently, he felt it was okay to leave for the office and allow Tony to stay behind. He did not want to force him to go in if it would upset him.

“Here’s the remote.” Gibbs said as he pointed to the medium sized television in the family room.

“A remote?”

“Got cable a little while ago.” Gibbs said as he looked around gathering his things.

“Cable?” Tony smirked slightly as he relaxed. “Leroy Jethro Gibbs has cable?”

“My father insisted last time he visited.” He paused. “Oh, and Tony? My father is coming today.”

“He is?” Tony asked a bit surprised. “You told him?” There was slight panic in his voice.

“No. I called to talk with him and he knew something was wrong with you. So, he’s coming.” Jethro sat by Tony for a moment. “I can tell him or you can. I just didn’t want to over the phone. My dad cares about you a lot, Tony.”

“Thanks.” Tony responded softly. “I guess you can tell him.”

Jethro nodded. “I’ll be back as soon as I can. Call me if you need anything. There’s leftover pizza in the fridge.” He paused at the door. “I expect you to have eaten, Tony. Gotta keep your strength up.”

“Okay.” He answered and proceeded to turn the TV on. He did not even look to the front door as he heard Gibbs lock it.

*

Gibbs walked quickly out of the elevator and stood in the center of the bullpen and got straight down to business. “What do you two got?”

McGee started typing and an image came upon the plasma screen. “This is Isabella Muñoz. One of Tony’s former nannies. She was reportedly fired after serving the family for over twelve years. It appears there were deportation hearings about her, but they never came to fruition.”

“Where does she live?” Gibbs asked after he sipped on his extra strong coffee.

“The lower east side in New York City.”

“Got an address?”

“Yes, Boss.”

“Good.” Gibbs turned to Ziva.

She stood. “There is a storage facility just outside of New York City that would have old medical records from Long Island Community Hospital.”

“Any way to access them online?” Gibbs asked.

“No.” Ziva answered.

Gibbs nodded. “Okay. When you arrive in New York, make sure any leads you have can be taken care of in the next two days. It should take about five hours to drive to the city from here. Keep a log of expenses. I’ll get a quick approval from Vance. Go home and pack and meet back here in an hour.”

“Yes, Boss.” McGee and Ziva grabbed their gear and raced out of bullpen.


*

After talking with Vance, Gibbs waited for Fornell in the conference room.

“What do you got, Tobias?”

“Plenty. We’ll just need time to compile the ridiculous number of charges that he could face.” The FBI agent scratched at his beard. “My agent should be meeting up with McGee and David right now to get to New York.”

“What about, Tony?” Jethro asked.

Tobias took a deep breath. “I think the best way to resolve that is to have Tony meet with him.”

“What?” Gibbs practically shouted. “Are you out of your mind?”

Tobias held his hands up. “Jethro, you’re not thinking rationally. I get it. You care for the kid. Like I care for my Emily.” He paused. “But, you know as well as I do, that to prove all the abuse so many years ago is nearly impossible. But, if we know where they will meet, we can set up surveillance cameras and catch the bastard on tape before he has any real chance to hurt Tony.” He stepped back.

“I don’t know if he can agree to that, Tobias. He’s terrified.”

“I know, Jethro. But, if he’s as good undercover as you say he is, then the kid is a hell of a fighter and he can pull this off.” He let his words sink in. “Has Senior contacted Tony yet?”

“No. But I’m sure he will.”

“You have recorder devices for cell phones?” The FBI agent asked and Jethro nodded. “Hook Dinozzo’s cell to it when you’re at home or here. Everything the bastard says to Tony needs to be heard in court.”

“Agreed.”

*

As the two men left the conference room, Jethro smiled when he saw his father sitting at his desk.

“Dad.” Jethro said as he walked over and gave him a hug.

“Hey, son.” Jackson Gibbs smiled warmly. He looked over his son’s shoulder. “Hello, G man.”

Fornell chuckled slightly and nodded. “Jack.”

“Where’s Tony?” The older man asked.

“At my house. He didn’t want to come in.”

“So, what’s going on with him? And the FBI is involved how?” Jack asked with worried eyes.

Jethro placed a hand on his dad’s shoulder and led him towards the elevator. “I’ll explain on our way home, dad.”

*

As Jack and Jethro entered the front door, they saw Tony dozing on the couch in the family room. The TV was running, but at a low volume. He looked peaceful, so the two did very little to disturb him. Jethro placed his father’s things in the third bedroom upstairs and then went to the kitchen to warm up the leftover pizza for Tony.

Jack said quietly as he started to make coffee, “Day old pizza, Jethro? The boy needs fresher food than that.”

Gibbs wanted to be irritated at his father, but he was just happy to have him there. Tony needed everyone around him. “Going to cook tonight, Jack.” He smirked as his father slapped him lightly on the head.

They prepared their things in silence. Jack was running the conversation he had with his son on the way home in his head. How could Tony have put up with such abuse? He already thought the world of the younger man and now his admiration from what he survived confirmed his feelings.

As he watched the pained look in Leroy’s eyes as he told of Tony’s personal hell, he knew Leroy loved the boy as his own. And over the last few years, Jack’s feelings for Tony had deepened as well. He wanted to make sure he knew that.

They heard Tony making some noise so they entered the family room. Jack stood back as he watched the two. Jethro sat down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

“Hey.” The team leader said softly as Tony’s hazel eyes fluttered open.

“Hi.” Tony answered as he sat up. He turned and saw Jackson and smiled. “Hi, Mr. Gibbs.”

"Tony.” Jack replied as he used his cane to walk over to him. “What have I told you about being so formal.”

“Sorry.” Tony blushed.

“Lunch is ready.” Jethro said as the two stood; as Tony walked to the kitchen, Jackson embraced him in a hug. Then, Tony sat down quietly and began to eat. He was glad to be with Jethro and Jack, but he felt a bit embarrassed as he felt the two watching him. After some time, Tony became uncomfortable with the silence. “See? I’m eating. You don’t have to watch me like a hawk.” Tony did not mean to sound bitter. And luckily, Gibbs did not acknowledge his tone.

“Glad you have more of an appetite today.” Gibbs replied.

“Yeah.” Tony said as he looked down. He felt tension brew within him as they continued to sit there. “Will you please stop looking at me like that?” He said as he stood.

Jethro answered. “Like what, Tony?”

“Like I’m going to break!” He walked across the kitchen. “I’m fine!”

Jackson slowly made his way to Tony. Tony couldn’t bare to look the older gentleman in the eye. “Tony,” he began softly, “we’re family. You don’t need to hide or be embarrassed with us.” He placed his hand on his shoulder. “We’re here for you.”

Tony took a deep breath. “I’m sorry, Mr. Gibbs.” He sounded like a little boy. “I didn’t mean to yell.” Tony went back over to the table and sat down heavily in his chair. The Gibbs men followed suit; one on each side of Tony.

“Now, Tony. No more of the Mr. Gibbs stuff. We‘ve known each for three years now.” He smiled. “You can call me Jack or I would prefer Grandpa.” He continued when Tony looked up with wet eyes. “It’s been awhile since I’ve been called that and well, since we’re family and all…just seems right. Don’t you think?” He turned to his son. “Sounds good to you, Leroy?”

Jethro smirked. “Sounds great to me, Dad.”

“Well, seems like you’re stuck with us, Tony.” Jack continued. “And you know how us Gibbs men are: stubborn like mules.”

Tony let the words wash over him and it felt like something inside him clicked. He finally knew he had a place where he belonged. But, he was still scared. He asked weakly, “Is this a dream?” He turned to Jethro.

“Nope.” Gibbs answered.

“Promise?” Hope shined in his eyes.

“Yep.” Jethro leaned forward and kissed him on the forehead. “Love ya, kid.”

Tony fought against every bit of his coping mechanisms to take a leap of faith. He looked at Jethro and said quietly, “Love you too, d-dad…”

Gibbs looked at him and smiled the biggest smile Tony had ever seen from the usually stoic lead agent. Besides joy on his face, Tony thought he recognized something else: pride. Jethro grabbed Tony’s hand and said, “Attaboy.”

TBC…
Chapter 8 by mariep
Tim, Ziva, and FBI Agent Gary Manners made their way in a taxicab, holding on for dear life as the cabbie navigated the jungle of New York City. It had been awhile since Tim had been here, always forgetting the creative driving style of NY cabbies. Ziva seemed relatively comfortable, but Tim and Agent Manners looked like they might need a barf bag as the cabbie made abrupt stops and starts for the last ten minutes.

The three had successfully obtained medical records from the storage facility earlier in the day. It was actually easier than they thought, since they had a warrant. They were now on their way to visit Tony’s former nanny on the lower east side.

They reached their destination and Tim paid the cabbie. They looked up at the old, dilapidated building and walked in. It was a five story walkup. They silently made their way up. Very few words were exchanged since they had started reading the medical reports on Tony. Ziva and Tim were amazed that their friend had survived what he did. And they were also floored by the ability for a doctor to cover up such abuse against a child. Agent Manners took his cue from them and did not force any conversation the last few hours.

Agent Manners knocked on Apt. 501 and waited. The ancient door creaked open to reveal an older Hispanic woman, probably in her sixties. She had gray hair and was slightly hunched over. In a heavy Spanish accent, she said, “May I help you?” She seemed very kind.

“Miss Isabella Muñoz?” Manners asked.

“Yes?”

“My name is Gary Manners.” He flashed his badge. “I am with the FBI.”

The older woman looked immediately panicked. “I am legal now! Have been for fifteen years!” She made to close the door. Ziva and Tim knew this was headed for disaster so, they stepped up. Ziva blocked the door open.

“Miss Muñoz! You have done nothing wrong.” Ziva paused to let the woman calm down. “We are here about Tony Dinozzo.”

The older woman’s eyes widened as they immediately watered. “Anthony?” Her voice cracked. “Is he alright?”

“He is for now.” Tim answered. “But we really need to talk to you about him. Please.”

She waited a time, but then stepped aside. As the three agents walked into the woman’s tiny apartment, she turned to them. “May I offer you tea or water?”

“No, Ma’am.” Gary answered. “We just need to ask you a few questions.”

“Of course.” She sat down. “How do you know my Anthony?” She looked at the group.

Ziva answered. “My name is Ziva David and this is Agent Timothy McGee. We work with Tony at NCIS.”

“NCIS?” She asked in a confused tone.

“Naval Criminal Investigative Service.” Tim replied. “We investigate crimes occurring in the Navy and Marines, as well as National Security threats.”

“Anthony does this?” She said with a hint of pride, before the smile faded. “I cannot imagine his Father being too pleased with that.”

The FBI agent spoke, “Well, Miss Muñoz, that is why we are here.”

“Oh, dear Lord!” She exclaimed. “Is that son of a devil still hurting my poor boy?” She stood and walked to her small kitchen table. She picked up a handkerchief and then sat back down. She shook her head as she tried to will her tears not to fall.

Gary continued after giving her a few moments to compose herself. “We understand that you were employed by the Dinozzo’s right after Tony was born.”

The woman hesitated to speak, fear lacing her eyes.

“Ma’am, whatever you say right now it is a preliminary investigation. We are just gathering facts.” The FBI agent added.

Ziva grabbed her hand. “We will not let anyone harm you.” She nodded her head strongly.

“Mi bebé, Anthony. Such a sweet boy. From the moment he was born. So happy and so full of energy and goodness.” She shook her head sadly. “His mother could not be bothered with him. As if she just needed to have him as some sort of duty.”

“You and Tony were close, then?” Tim asked.

She nodded as she bit her lip. “I never had any of my own, so I doted on the lovely boy. His parents did not seem to care, as long as he was out of the way. Except for party days, when they paraded the poor boy around like a toy.”

Agent Manners spoke next. “Did you ever witness his father hurting him?”

“After his Momma died, Mr. Dinozzo was very angry. He started beating Anthony.”

“How old, Miss Muñoz?” Gary asked.

“Nine or so.” She sighed. “I tried to help when I could, but Mr. Dinozzo was a very powerful man. I finally said something after Anthony…” She started to cry as she buried her head in her handkerchief.

“What was that, Miss Muñoz?” Manners asked gently, wanting to keep her talking.

“Anthony would have bruises from his beatings but…he started coming to me…he was bleeding in places little boys shouldn’t.” She whispered. “He told me his father was touching him.” She stood and walked to the window. “When I finally had the courage to confront his father and I was going to call the police, I was fired! He threatened to deport me and he threatened my siblings that were in the US.” She turned back to the agents. “Is my Anthony going to be okay? Please don’t let that man win! Anthony is a good boy!” She began to sob. Ziva walked to her and gave her a hug. After a few minutes, she spoke again. “For as long as I live, I will never forget the agony of Anthony screaming when he saw his father’s bodyguards escort me out of the house. It has plagued me for years.”

The FBI agent stood. “Thank you for your time, Ma’am. We don’t want to be in your way too long.”

McGee and Ziva stood and thanked her as well. “Is he happy?” She asked.

They paused for a moment. “We want him to be, so we need to take care of his father. Tony is a good agent and friend.” McGee said. “He’s taught me a lot.”

“Always wanting to help people, that is my Anthony.” She took a deep breath. “Please tell him I am sorry I could not have done more. I loved him so much and I still do. Please tell him.”

“We will.” Ziva answered.

*

One day later

Jackson had turned in early for the night. Tony sat on the couch, his eyes having difficulty concentrating on whatever program was playing. Jethro was with Tobias back at the Yard. Tony felt so blessed that Jethro was trying so hard to aid him, but he couldn’t help but feel guilty and ashamed that he needed the older man. He was trying to squash those feelings away, but it was hard. Tony’s head shot up when he heard a knock on the front door. He knew his father didn’t know where he was, but he couldn’t help the slight panic he felt. If it was Gibbs, then he would have come in the garage door. He stood and grabbed his gun and walked over to the door. He let out a long sigh of relief when he saw it was McGee. He quickly placed his weapon back down. As he opened the door, McGee smiled and came in.

“Hey, Tony.” He said as he went over to the table and placed a medium sized brown paper bag on it.

“What are you doing here, McGee?” His eyes narrowed slightly. “You can tell Gibbs I don’t need a McBabysitter.”

“He wanted me to check on you. Plus, Tony, I haven’t gotten a chance to talk to you the last few days.”

Tony shrugged his shoulders. “Nothing much to say.” He looked at the bag the junior agent was holding. “What’s in there?”

Tim smiled slightly, recognizing the abrupt change of subject as a classic Dinozzo move. “Boss said he hooked up a DVD player, so I brought a movie, popcorn, and other snacks.”

“Really, Probie?” Tony sounded excited. “Thanks!” His eyes narrowed suspiciously. “I hope you didn’t bring some chick flick or some awful teenage movie. I know you like Miley Cyrus and all, but tell me you didn’t!” He smirked.

Tim rolled his eyes, but went along with their normal banter, it was slightly comforting. It at least temporarily made him forget the horrific details he had learned about Tony.

“So, McFlix, what did you bring?” Tony smiled when he held up the case. “Bad Day at Black Rock. Ah, Spencer Tracy.” Tony said wistfully. “I didn’t know you liked film noir.” He paused. “But in actuality, it is a combination of film noir and a Western. Did you know that the writer of the film changed the main character to a one armed man knowing that Tracy would never turn down a role to play a handicapped hero? He ended up winning the Academy Award in 1955 for the film.” Tony realized he had been rambling, he stopped talking and blushed slightly. “Sorry.” He looked away. “I get carried away sometimes.”

The last thing Tim wanted to do was to make Tony uncomfortable. He could sense some trepidation in the senior agent since walking in. He knew Tony was trying to deflect. “It’s okay, Tony. And in answer to the question that I think was there, I got the movie because I knew you liked it.” He smiled slightly, when he saw Tony do the same.

As if Tony was searching Tim for signs of sarcasm or joking, he seemed to relax as he answered, “That’s nice of you.”

“Hey,” Tim added, “you’ve played my video games with me before, so I wanted to watch a movie with you. It is your hobby, right?” Tony shrugged his shoulders and then proceeded to put the movie in.

“We should be at my place. Gibbs’ TV won’t do this justice.”

“Probably not.” Tom answered. “Why don’t I make some popcorn?”

“Sure, McJiffy pop.” Tony answered over his shoulder as Tim went into the kitchen chuckling. He was always amused by the names Tony came up with. Slightly annoyed, but it was funny.

After a few minutes, Tim returned with a couple of cokes and a large bowl of popcorn. Tony was about to press play, when Tim spoke again. “When did you start liking movies so much?”

When Tony turned to him, there was a look of vulnerability in his eyes. Tim was going to retract the question, when his partner answered quietly. “Since I was little. Kind of my escape, I guess.”

Tim internally cursed himself for causing the mood to turn somber. “Hey, Tony. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t of pried like that.”

“No, Tim. It’s okay.” He looked him in the eye. “Really. It’s really nice of you to come hang out with me. I know everyone’s been working hard to clean up my mess…”

“Tony, it’s not a mess. It’s your life and you deserve to have it back and feel secure and safe.” Tim added. He paused as he could see an array of emotions playing across Tony’s face. He watched as Tony looked away.

“What you must think of me…” He said so quietly Tim barely heard.

“What I think,” Tim responded, “is that you are a remarkable person who persevered against unbelievable odds to become a fantastic agent and a great friend. You’re compassionate with others and you’re hard working. And you managed to do all those things on your own, without guidance.”

Tony replied, his insecurity shining through, “You consider me a friend?”

“What?” Tim answered. “Of course I do. Don’t you think of me as a friend?”

“Yeah…but…” Tony turned sad eyes towards McGee. He made himself continue, slight panic in his voice. “You know when I tease you, I’m not trying to be mean, right?”

Tim wanted to calm his fears. “Of course you aren’t. I’ve been bullied and teased cruelly when I was young, I know the difference.“ He took a deep breath. “And when I’m smug and sarcastic and make fun of you going to Ohio State, I’m just teasing too. You’re not stupid, Tony, and I don’t ever want you to think that.”

Tony shrugged his shoulders. “Been told that enough in my life.” He muttered to himself and then chuckled slightly. When he turned back to McGee, he seemed to have unshed tears in his eyes. “You know, when you were first added to the team, I thought my days at NCIS were numbered. You were the whiz kid computer genius from MIT and Hopkins. What could I possibly have to offer?”

Tim sighed. “I’ll admit that when I first came from Norfolk, I didn’t think there was anything I could learn from you or Kate. I thought to be a good agent, all you needed were computer skills.” Tim leaned towards Tony. “But here’s what I’ve learned. The reason why our team works is because we all fit pieces of a perfect puzzle. I have the computer skills, Ziva contributes with her Mossad background, and you have an investigative mind that I can only envy. You look at cases in a way I can’t. One day, I hope to get better. And I’m sure you’ve learned a thing or two from me. Right?”

“Maybe a few, Tim.” Tony smiled slightly. He waited for some time before speaking again. “You and Ziva took a trip?” Tim was a little surprised at the abrupt change in subject.

Tim didn’t want to lie to him. He wasn’t sure how much Gibbs had told him. But, he was making strides in his friendship with Tony, so he wanted to be honest. “Yeah.”

A lump formed in Tony’s throat. “Where?”

“New York.” Tim answered quietly.

“What did you find?” Tony asked softly, curiosity getting the best of him.

Tim took a deep breath. He decided that he would incur the wrath of Gibbs if he had to. “We got some records from Long Island Community Hospital…”

“Oh.” Tony looked down at his lap.

Tim hesitated and then forced himself to continue. “And we interviewed Isabella Muñoz.”

“What?” Tony’s head shot up. The memories of his time with his beloved nanny flooded through him. He couldn’t help the tear that fell from his eye at the thought of her.

Tim began to regret telling Tony, as evidenced by how emotional he became. “Tony?”

“She left one day…a-and I-I never saw her again. F-Father’s m-men…”

Tim placed a hand on the senior agent’s thigh. His heart was clamoring as he watched how distressed Tony was becoming. He wondered if he just screwed up really badly. “Tony, she was going to tell the police what you’re father was doing to you. He was going to deport her and her entire family. She told us how much she loved you and thinks of you everyday.”

Tony took some calming breaths. “That’s what happened to her?”

“Yes. She didn’t want to leave you. She had no choice.”

Tony shook his head a few times and wiped his face. He turned away feeling embarrassed he had lost control in front of McGee.

“Hey.” Tim said. “Tony, what you went through, I cannot even begin to imagine. But don’t feel ashamed because you show an emotion other than happiness in front of me. You can’t always be on.”

“That’s what people expect of me.” He said sadly. “It’s my fault really…it’s just easier sometimes, you know?” Tim nodded. “Don’t think anyone will want to know the real me.” He chuckled bitterly. “That’s why I…” Tony stopped abruptly, as if realizing how much he had revealed to McGee.

“What?” Tim asked kindly.

“I’m screwed in the head, Tim.” He said as he looked at his friend as tears poured from his eyes.

“Have you ever talked to anyone…?” Tony shook his head. “Maybe that would help?”

Tony stood and walked over to the front window as he gazed down at the dimly lit street. “Do you wonder…”

“Wonder what, Tony?”

“Why I let him h-hurt m-me?” Tony wrapped his arms around himself.

“Tony, he hurt you. Don’t take the blame.” Tim said with conviction as he walked over to his friend.

“I c-can’t f-fight h-him…” He looked down. “I-I a-always feel like I’m t-ten years old again…”

Tim led a pliant Tony back to the couch. He wrapped an afghan around his friend.

Tony seemed to shiver, but continued. “It’s why I-I…”

“What, Tony?” McGee encouraged.

“I-I‘ve only been with a few girls…I don‘t l-let anything get t-too deep b-because I-I f-feel…” He whispered.

“It’s okay.”

“I-it’s safer to b-be a-alone…” Tony continued to look down at his shaking hands.

Tim was a bit confused, but then he understood. All the constant office chatter about his flings and girlfriends were all apart of the persona he had imagined to fight against his pain and fear.

“Tony…” Tim could only say, rendered speechless by his friend’s revelation.

Frantic eyes turned towards the younger agent. “Don’t look at me like that…don’t! I don’t need your pity!” He said in a rushed tone, trying to keep his voice down so as to not wake up Jackson.

“Tony, I feel for you, that’s what friends do. It’s not pity. It’s sympathy…it’s empathy…when people care about you that is what they feel.”

“You don’t h-hate me for lying?” He asked, his voice small.

“Why should I hate you for that? I don’t have a lot of experience either.” Tim tried to smile.

“I-I’ve tried…but I-I can’t.” His eyes flickered to McGee and then back to hands again.

“I think if you talked to someone that might help one day.”

“Y-You think?” Tony asked.

“I do.” He answered.

“You d-don’t think I’m weak and p-pathetic?”

“No.” Tim placed his hand on Tony’s shoulder. “And if you’re father told you that, then he is even more of a bastard than we thought. We’ve got your six, Tony. And we’re going to take him down.” McGee said with conviction.

Tony truly appreciated the sentiment. He looked at the younger agent. “Y-you’re channeling, Gibbs.” Tony couldn’t help the small smile that traversed his face.

“Really?” Tim’s face lit up. “Cool.” He knocked his arm against Tony’s. “Why don’t we check out if Spencer Tracy’s performance is Oscar worthy.”

Tony took a deep breath as he took his time to regain his composure. “If? You wound me, Probie.” He said, voice still thick with emotion. “And Tim?”

“Yeah.”

“Thanks. For everything.”

“No problem.” He handed Tony the popcorn bowl as the two turned their attention to the movie classic.

TBC…
End Notes:
warning: angst
Chapter 9 by mariep
Chapter 9

Jethro walked into his home just after midnight. When he reached his family room, the sight he saw made his heart melt. On the couch, Tim was sitting, arms crossed across his chest, head leaned back against the headrest. On his lap, Tony’s legs lay across him as he curled against the armrest of the couch. They both were in a deep sleep. He knew he had made the right call in sending Tim over earlier that evening. Gibbs didn’t feel Ziva could be as sympathetic as Tony needed and Abby was too emotional and hyper for him right now. Gibbs saw beyond the juvenile banter between the two male agents on his team. He knew they held great respect for each other and if Tony could open up to anyone besides Gibbs, he felt McGee would be the ideal one for that.

Gibbs walked to the couch and gently placed his hand on McGee’s shoulder. The junior agent’s eyes fluttered open. “Boss?”

Gibbs nodded as Tim looked over to see Tony in much needed slumber. Jethro patted Tony’s shoulder lightly. “Tony?” Awareness slowly returned as green eyes sluggishly opened. “Hey, Bud. Let’s get to bed.” He helped Tony sit up. The senior agent was still half asleep, the emotional toll of the last few days finally expressing itself.

“’kay…” Tony mumbled as he allowed Jethro to lead him up the stairs. Before they ascended the staircase, Jethro turned to Tim. “Give me a minute, McGee, I’ll be right back.” He said softly.

“Sure, Boss.” Tim answered.

*

After five minutes, Jethro returned. He sat down heavily. Tim could see fatigue in the lines of his Boss’ face.

“You okay, Boss?” Tim asked and when he saw a smirk, he knew the answer. “Right. Stupid question.”

Gibbs turned to him. “How’d it go?”

“We watched a movie. Talked.” Tim looked at him quickly before turning away. He wasn’t sure if Gibbs would be mad. “I told Tony about his nanny. Understandably, he was upset. He never knew what had happened to her.”
Tim paused trying to gage Gibbs’ reaction. When there was none, he continued. “He opened up a little.” Tim ran a hand through his hair. “I’m amazed he can be functional, knowing what he went through.” He sighed. “I hope I didn’t mess up with him.”

Gibbs looked intently at his agent. “You didn’t, Tim. In fact, I’m happy Tony felt like he could talk to you. He needs that.”

Tim blushed slightly at the compliment. “Thanks, Boss.” After a little time, he added. “So, anything new?”

“Not much.” Gibbs said wearily. “The FBI are continuing to compile and expand on their already open investigation into Tony‘s father. Tobias is coming here late morning so we can talk to Tony about when Senior comes.”

“What’s the plan?” After Gibbs told him, Tim sat with wide eyes. “Is Tony going to agree to it?”

Gibbs answered, “I don’t know. The records you got from the hospital tell us that there was abuse in the past, but that doctor is dead. There is no statute of limitations on child abuse for the life of said child. Senior would probably use his vast resources to prolong prosecution for as long as possible.” He paused. “The nanny is a witness.”

“Yes, but twenty years later, Boss, and she is still terrified of Tony’s father.”

“So, confronting senior is our best option.” The two men were silent for a time.

“Boss?” Tim said. “Do you mind if I come back when Agent Fornell arrives?”

Gibbs couldn’t help the slight smile. “Be back at eleven am sharp.”

“Sure thing.” Tim grabbed his keys and left.

*

Tony woke up in late morning. Jackson was reading the paper in the family room and Jethro had managed to go to the Yard and was back already. A freshly showered Tony slowly made his way down the stairs. Jethro had to reign in his anger at Tony’s father. Not only had he hurt him in unimaginable ways, he had turned Tony into a virtual shut-in for the last five days. Tony lived for his work, and he had not mentioned going back since this nightmare had started.

“Good morning, Tony.” Jackson said as he looked up from his paper.

“Good morning.” He said quietly as he sat down on the couch.

“Get your butt over here, Dinozzo.” Jethro called as he prepared some food for him.

“Yes, Boss.” Tony said as he walked over.

He sat down at the table just outside the kitchen and Gibbs put a plate of eggs, bacon, and fruit in front of him. He also put a glass of milk next to it.

“Not a baby…” Tony mumbled under his breath as he shoved a piece of bacon in his mouth. When he looked up, Gibbs was standing over him.

“You’re my baby. Get used to it.” Gibbs ruffled his hair as he went back to the sink to clean up the mess he had made.

Tony smiled shyly as he felt warmth spread through him. Jackson joined them a few minutes later. Jethro had made some fresh coffee and placed three cups on the table. They sat in comfortable silence as they sipped on their hot beverage. Gibbs glanced at the wall clock and turned to Tony.

“Tony. Fornell is going to be here soon.”

Tony’s eyes widened. “Why?”

“We’re going to discuss what we do from here about your father.” He waited for Tony to digest the statement. “Tim is coming too.”

He seemed confused. “Tim?”

“He wanted to be here. Is that okay?” Gibbs asked. He watched as Tony shrugged. “Was it okay last night him being here?”

Tony thought for a minute. “Yeah. He listened a-and didn’t laugh at me.” He sounded so small.

“Tim is your friend.” Jackson interjected. “He is here to support you.”

“I know.” Tony’s head shot up when there was a knock on the door.

“Easy, Tony.” Gibbs said as he stood. “It’s just Tobias.” He leaned over and kissed Tony on the head and went to the front door. Fornell and Tim were both there. Jethro opened the door and nodded as the men stepped through.

“Have a seat.” Gibbs said as he pointed to the table where Jackson and Tony were.

“Dinozzo.” Tobias said quietly as he sat. He noticed the stress and fatigue on the face of Gibbs’ senior agent. He wanted nothing more than to get Dinozzo senior.

“Agent Fornell.” Tony answered softly as he could barely meet the FBI man in the eye. McGee took a chair next to Tony.

“Tony, we need to talk about what to do if your Father calls.” Gibbs started.

“Not if…when.” Tony responded quietly.

“Okay. When he calls.” Gibbs corrected himself as he looked at Fornell.

“Tony,” the FBI agent continued, “when he calls, we will record the entire conversation. Will he inform you where to meet him?” Tony nodded. “What I have proposed is to set up surveillance in the meeting place.”

“Why?” Tony asked innocently.

Fornell hesitated. “So, we can properly install microphones and cameras in the room.”

Tony looked to Gibbs. “What?” He stood shakily. “Y-You w-want me t-t-to…” He became increasingly distressed and started hyperventilating.

“Tony!” Jethro stood before him with his head in between his hands. “I’ll be next door the entire time. We need to catch him on tape admitting what he has done to you: the abuse, the threats, all of it. We will stop him. He will not hurt you. I won’t let him.” Tony wriggled his way out of Jethro’s grasp as he walked backwards away from the others.

“No…no…” Tony mumbled and Jethro was afraid he was retreating into himself. This was the best way, but he had to help Tony see that.

He felt like a bastard, but he added in a serious tone. “Agent Dinozzo!”

Tony’s head snapped up immediately to attention. “Boss?”

Jethro walked slowly towards him. “You are one of the best undercover agents we have. Just think of this like an op.” His heart nearly broke as a tear escaped from Tony’s eye. “You can do this, Tony. I know you can. We’ll be next door the entire time. We’ll step in before he does anything.” He hugged his son. “It can be over, Tony; finally, after all these years. It can be over.” Tony felt like he as going to lose it as he stepped back from Gibbs. He looked at his surrogate father and grandfather, his colleague and friend, and the only FBI agent that Gibbs trusted. He shakily nodded his head in agreement. He gazed at Gibbs and quietly said, “I-I n-need to be a-alone.” He turned and ran up the stairs. He went to his room and closed the door. He looked around the room as his breath hitched. He went farthest away from the door and stopped when his back hit the wall. He slid down until he rested on the floor. His knees were against his chest as he leaned his head forward. He couldn’t help the fear that encompassed him. He didn’t know what to do.

*



Fornell had left a few minutes ago. Jack and Tim still sat at the table, both men at a loss for words. Jethro paced, his head glancing at the staircase with every new pass. He wanted to give Tony some time to digest the plan. But he wanted to comfort him as well.

“Boss?” Tim asked, finally breaking the silence.

“Yeah, McGee?” Instead of his usual gruff tone, Jethro just sounded stressed.

“Should I…” The young agent looked up the steps.

“No. I’ll go.” Gibbs answered curtly, realizing he sounded so harsh. “Sorry, Tim. Go check in at the Yard and see what else we can dig up. Why don’t you come back this evening? Bring another movie. I think Tony would like that.”

“Sure, Boss.” He answered and with a nod at Jack, Tim left.

*

Gibbs stood in front of the Tony’s door. He hesitated when he did not hear any sounds. Perhaps in his emotional state. Tony had fallen asleep. He raised his hand slightly to knock, but his hand hovered in the air. “Get some balls, Marine.” He mumbled to himself. His knock was light. He waited a few moments and then slowly opened the door. “Tony?” He said quietly as he stepped in. He saw his son in the corner of the room, curled up against the wall. It was as if Tony had wanted to disappear. It was amazing that a man over six feet tall could look so small. “Hey, Bud.” Gibbs continued as he sat down next to Tony. He ignored the crick in his knees as he did so. “Talk to me, Tony.” He said gently.

Slowly Tony turned towards him. “What do you want me to say?” Tony sounded defeated. When Gibbs did not immediately answer, he went on. “I-I thought…” He stopped as his eyes watered.

“Thought what?” Gibbs replied.

“I thought s-since I-I told you…it w-would all be better…” His eyes were innocent as he gazed upon his father figure. Gibbs recognized the look. It was the look a child gave a parent when hoping they could guard them against the horrors that are out in the world.

“I will keep you safe, Tony. I will NEVER let him touch you like that again.” He added with conviction. “This is the best way to make sure we get him. If there was another way, I promise I would find it.”

Tony looked down. “I know…it’s j-just…” He felt Gibbs grab his hand into his. “Dad…” Tony whispered as he leaned into Gibbs.

Jethro placed his arms around his son. “It’s okay. I’ve got you. I’ve got you.” He kissed Tony’s forehead and said a prayer to keep him safe.

*

After Tony slept restlessly for most of the day, evening came. Jethro was outside grilling when his phone rang. “Yeah, Gibbs.”

“Hey, Boss.”

“McGee.”

“Listen, I’m on my way…b-but…”

“Spit it out, Tim.”

“Abby and Ziva insist on coming. They want to see Tony and make sure he is okay. They’re pretty adamant, Boss.”

Gibbs knew how Abby could get. He wasn’t sure if Tony could deal with it, but they were his friends. “Okay. When will you be here?”

“About thirty minutes. Should I bring anything?”

“No.” Gibbs answered and hung up. He took the steaks and hot dogs off the grill, glad he had prepared more than he needed initially. He knew Ziva and Abby were not going to wait much longer to see Tony. He placed the food in the oven to warm and washed his hands. He ascended the staircase and went into Tony’s room. His senior agent was laying down, but he could tell he was not asleep.

Gibbs sat on the edge of the bed. “Tony.” Gibbs rubbed his back gently. “Sit up.” He asked. When Tony did as requested, he tried to smile at him. “Tim, Ziva, and Abby are coming to have dinner soon. Is that okay?”

Tony thought for a moment and shrugged his shoulders.

“This is your house too, Tony. I want you to be comfortable here. I can always call them back and say you’re not up for company.”

“No. I-It’s fine.” Tony answered. Gibbs nodded his head and then stood, but suddenly Tony grabbed his hand.

“Are you okay?”

Tony nodded. “I…wanted to tell y-you…t-thank y-you…”

“For what, Tony?”

“F-For believing me…”

Gibbs sat back down. “I will ALWAYS believe you, Tony. And I will always love you.”

Hearing Gibbs say those words made Tony feel ten feet tall. He felt more secure. He took a deep breath and continued, this time speaking with more confidence because he could feel how much Gibbs cared. “I know…I love you too, Dad…” After he said that he noticed a big smile upon Gibbs’s face. “What?” Tony asked, confused by the smile.

“It feels good to be called Dad again.” Gibbs sighed as he thought of his daughter. “She would have loved you, you know.”

“Kelly?” Tony asked in an almost reverent tone.

“Yep.”

Shannon and Kelly were a subject Jethro rarely brought up, and Tony felt honored that he would with him.

“Does it ever get easier?” Tony asked. He hated to think of the constant burden Gibbs carried.

“Yes and no. I will never forget what happened to them. Or forget them. But my heart has healed more since you came in my life, Tony.” Gibbs paused for a moment, having to stop talking for his voice was cracking. “So, I feel lucky that I got a second chance to be a father. It’s the best feeling in the world.”

Those words made Tony smile brightly as he stood. “I should shower…before they come.”

“Sounds good. I’ll see you downstairs.”

*

Tony showered quickly and stood in the kitchen watching as Gibbs finished preparing the salad and other side dishes. He sipped on a beer and was slowly peeling the label off.

Gibbs opened the refrigerator and grabbed Italian dressing and set it on the counter. He could tell the wheels were spinning in Tony’s brain. “What’s on your mind, Tony?”

“What?” Tony shook his head in disbelief as he chuckled slightly. “You really know me, don’t you?”

“I do.” Gibbs responded.

Tony sighed as he took another drag off his beer. He let the burn settle and then spoke. “I don’t know how to act around them anymore.”

“You don’t have to act, just be yourself.” Gibbs said as he chopped some tomatoes.

“What if they don’t like who I am?” Tony asked in a nervous tone, biting his lip.

Gibbs wiped his hands on a washrag. “You are the same Tony that I’ve worked with for the last five years. You’re witty and brave and sometimes annoying with your jokes and pranks.” Gibbs winked and elbowed him lightly in the stomach eliciting a smile from his son. “Some of that may have been a smokescreen, Tony, but we KNOW you. You’re loyal and hard working and smarter than you give yourself credit for. You don’t always have to wear the face of a clown, Anthony.”

“Isn’t that what everyone expects?” He asked, unsure of himself.

“You can be quiet and introspective sometimes. We won’t think any worse of you. It‘s okay to let them in. It doesn‘t make you weak.” Gibbs stood in front of him. “You’ve been through so much, it is bound to make you sad and scared sometimes. They won’t think any less of you. They don’t pity you, Tony. They admire you for your strength.”

“You think so?” He asked in a quiet voice.

“I know so.” He said as he tapped under Tony’s chin a few times in a loving gesture. “Isn’t that a rule?”

Tony smiled. “What rule?”

“The Boss is always right.” Gibbs smirked.

“Hadn’t heard that one, Boss.”

*

The evening had gone well so far. Initially, there was an awkward silence among the group. But after they sat down to eat, the conversation flowed.

Abby, Tim, Ziva, and Tony were currently sitting outside on Gibbs’ surprisingly nice patio furniture. Jethro had revealed it was one of the things he got to keep from wife number three. He was watching the ballgame with his father, while the “kids” were enjoying the nice fall evening. Very few words were exchanged, but it wasn’t uncomfortable.

As Tony gazed up he quietly said, “When I wasn’t watching TV or movies, I would sit on the balcony for hours watching the stars. It was peaceful. It was…” Tony stopped talking as if he realized he was saying too much.

Abby looked over at her friend and grabbed his hand. “It’s okay, Tonyboy.” She nodded her head in encouragement.

What he saw in her eyes was compassion and friendship, not pity. “Those were the only times, I felt happy. I could imagine all these other worlds in the sky or in the movies, and I c-could forget…for just a little bit…” His voice choked.

Abby eyes moistened as she stood with Tony’s hand still in hers and sat down on him and pulled him into a hug. She was happy when Tony seemed to relax into her. She said nothing and just let her action speak volumes. Tim moved his chair closer and placed his hand on Tony’s forearm. Ziva stood behind Tony’s chair and placed her hands on his shoulders. She leaned down and kissed the top of his head. “My little hairy butt…” They all smiled as they continued to watch the stars.

TBC…
Chapter 10 by mariep
Chapter 10

The next morning Jackson, Jethro, and Tony sat eating breakfast. After they completed their meal, Tony went to the family room and was about to flip on the TV. Jack sat reading the paper and sipping coffee and Jethro was grabbing his sports coat and was about to leave to go to the office. As Gibbs sat down on the couch next to Tony to talk to him before leaving, Tony’s cell rang. The phone was lying on the coffee table hooked up to a recording device. Tony’s heart suddenly raced and a look of panic descended upon his face. Gibbs nodded and touched his forearm. “It’s okay.”

Tony took a deep breath to try and calm himself. With a shaky hand, he tried to call upon his many years undercover to conquer his fear. He didn’t want his father to hear his fear.

“Agent Dinozzo.” Tony answered, his voice surprisingly steady.

Gibbs grinned slightly as he thought, ‘attaboy’ to himself.

“Anthony.” The gruff voice of Anthony Dinozzo Senior replied.

“Sir.” Tony forced himself to answer, his throat feeling constricted and dry suddenly.

“I will be in town tomorrow.”

“Yes, Sir.” Tony’s heart was hammering away in his chest. Just the sound of his father’s voice was going to make him lose control. He gazed up at Gibbs and the look of support he gave was helping to ground him.

“I am staying at the Adams House. I expect to see you at six pm sharp. Do not be late, Anthony.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Until then, Anthony.”

“Sir.” Tony answered and then heard the line go dead. He closed his phone and then stared at it for a time.

Gibbs was worried as he saw the look on Tony’s face. It was almost emotionless…lost. Suddenly, Tony shot up and dropped his phone. He ran to the bathroom and Gibbs could hear the sound of retching. All the contents from Tony’s breakfast came up. He was dry heaving as he fought the tears that streamed down his face.

As much as Gibbs needed to comfort Tony, the younger agent was in no position to talk right now. Jethro looked at his father and said, “Dad?”

Jackson understood the request and nodded as he walked over to Tony and began to rub his back through the dry heaving. Jethro went over to the phone and quickly listened to the recording. When he was done, he grabbed his cell and called Fornell.

*

Jethro had left Tony in his father’s capable hands and had to leave for a few hours later. He had to finalize plans with the FBI. They had obtained a warrant from a judge to be able to bug the penthouse suite at the Adams; although the owner of the swanky hotel would have allowed the use of their facility without the warrant. The United States government often placed some of their most important dignitaries at the five star establishment. They knew if they cooperated with the FBI investigation, they would continue to benefit from the repeat business. Their only request was that when Senior was arrested to escort him off the premises by the secret exit in the back of the building. Many a wealthy businessman or influential politician had used the secret corridor for decades. The Adams House was known for its discretion.

With the timeline set and the arrangements being made, Jethro walked through his front door. Jack sat on the recliner, reading the paper. “Where’s Tony?” Gibbs asked. “Is he okay?”

Jack sighed. “He’s scared, Leroy. He’s barely said a word since you left. I couldn’t get him to eat anything. Even made that chili he likes so much.”

Jethro gestured upstairs. “Is he in his room?”

“No. He’s in the basement. He said he wanted to be alone.” Jack folded his paper. “Are you sure he can do this, Leroy? Maybe there’s another way.”

“There isn’t.” Jethro replied as he went to the basement.

*

He slowly made his way downstairs. He saw Tony wrapped in a blanket, curled up in the old recliner he had put down there a few years back. Occasionally after a hard case, Tony would visit Gibbs’ basement. They often did not say much. Tony would watch Gibbs work on his boat; they would share a beer. After a few times of sitting on the steps, Gibbs dragged the old recliner from his garage down so Tony would have a more comfortable place to sit.

“Hey, bud.” Gibbs said quietly as he pulled up a small chair next to Tony. He watched as Tony slowly opened his eyes, but did not directly face him. “Talk to me.” He was trying to be as gentle as possible. The emotional rollercoaster that Tony was on was leaving him extremely labile. One minute he was the cocky self assured agent and the next was as fragile and scared as a little boy. “How come you’re down here? Your grandpa made some real good food for lunch.”

“Not hungry.” Tony answered quietly.

“I am. Would you come up with me?” Jethro asked. Tony shook his head. “Why not, Tony?” He mumbled something in response but Jethro could not understand. “Couldn’t hear you, Tony.”

“ ’M safe here.” He whispered as he curled into himself more, trying to shut out the world.

“Hey…” Gibbs said as he touched his face. “I’ll be next door the whole time, Tony. There are cameras everywhere in the room. I watched the FBI set up everything.” He paused. “Look at me, son.” He was pleased when Tony complied. “It’s almost over. I’ll keep you safe. Always.” He smiled. “Do you trust me?”

“Yes. With my life.” Tony replied.

Gibbs stood and offered his hand and helped Tony stand. “I trust you too and I love you.” Tony leaned in and Gibbs embraced him. They stood there for some time. Finally, Gibbs kissed the side of Tony’s head. “Let’s get upstairs. I’m starving.” Tony was still terrified, but felt stronger with Gibbs at his side.

*

That night, before turning in, Ducky came to visit. He shared some tea with the three men of the household. Before he departed, he shared a look with Jethro and nodded his head. “Anthony, a moment.”

“Yes, Ducky?” Tony asked.

“I am so proud of you, dear boy. Your ordeal is nearly over. Jethro has told me that it has been difficult sleeping the last few days. Is that true?”

Tony looked at Gibbs tentatively and then back at the ME. He nodded.

“You need your rest, Anthony.” Ducky continued. “Tomorrow is a big day and you need your mind sharp.” He reached into his medical bag and brought out a pill bottle. “This is only a mild sleeping pill. It shall help you get the rest you require this evening.”

Tony’s eyes widened as his breathing sped up slightly. “I-I don’t like medicines, Ducky.”

“I know, Anthony, but it will help you rest.” Ducky looked to Jack and Jethro to aid him.

“Tony,” Jack interjected, “listen to Ducky. He knows what he’s talking about.” Jack patted Tony’s shoulder. Tony nodded reluctantly. Gibbs handed him a glass of water and Ducky gave him the pill.

Jethro sat on the other side of Tony and placed his arm around his son’s. “Let’s keep watching the game. Okay?”

“Sure.” Tony said quietly as Gibbs tuned the TV back on. He felt safe being flanked by Jethro, Jack, and Ducky. It took some time, but finally Jethro noticed when Tony could barely keep his eyes open. He was fighting sleep so hard. Jethro needed him sharp and well rested before his confrontation with Senior in less than twenty four hours.

“Hey, kiddo, time for bed.” Gibbs smile das he saw Tony rub his eyes.

“Wha?” Tony slurred, the pill having its desired affect.

“Time for bed. Say goodnight to Jack and Ducky.” He said as he helped Tony stand. The senior agent swayed slightly from extreme fatigue and drug effects.

“G’night…” He said as he leaned against his Boss. “Boss?”

“Yeah, Bud.” Gibbs answered.

“’M lucky…” Tony closed his eyes as they began to walk.

“Why is that?”

“Now, have t-two grandpas and a dad…n-never had before…”

Jack and Ducky stood speechless, their eyes watering at Tony’s words. They were both more determined than ever to help Tony through his ordeal.

Gibbs slowly made his way upstairs. He steered Tony into his room and lay him gently in bed. He placed his covers over him as Tony sighed and turned to his side.

“Sweet dreams, Tony.” Gibbs whispered as he began to walk out.

Tony was nearly asleep as he whispered, “Love you, Dad…”

Gibbs felt a lump in his throat. “Love you too.”

TBC…

AN: Next: Daddy!Dinozzo…
Chapter 11 by mariep
Warning: angst, very strong language, references to child abuse; slight change in canon (Tony was disinherited after high school)

Chapter 11

Jack kept Tony occupied most of the next day with his favorite movies Tim had brought over a few days before. He was being a mother hen. He made Tony eat, at least small amounts, made him shower, and simply kept him company. Jethro spent the majority of the day making sure the FBI wasn’t screwing up. He needed to make sure everything was up to his standards. He trusted Fornell, but felt uncomfortable leaving the fate of his son in the hands of the FBI.

Gibbs returned to his home at three pm. They had three hours before meeting up with Senior. He greeted his dad with a nod and raced up the stairs to be with Tony. He found him sitting on his bed in boxers and a worn ‘Property of the USMC’ t-shirt.

“Hey.” Gibbs said as he came into the room. He looked to the bed and saw one of Tony’s most expensive suits and beside that lay a polo shirt and some khaki‘s. “Gonna get ready soon, Bud?”

Tony looked at the clothes. “S-Should wear the suit…he’ll b-be so pissed if I show up in casual clothes.”

“Whatever you feel most comfortable in is fine, Tony.” He watched as Tony fretted over the choice and finally began to dress in the casual wear.

“We should go soon. I need you to meet with Fornell so you can feel comfortable with the plan.”

Tony nodded his head and took a deep breath. “Boss?” His voice was shaky. “Why?”

“Why what, Tony?”

“Why are you doing this?”

Gibbs stood in front of him. “Because, you’re worth it, Tony. I know your shit of a father told you for years that you were worthless; that you were nothing. But when he says those things to you, don’t believe him. He’s a miserable, pathetic man who had to take out his anger and frustration on a child. Real fathers, real parents don’t do that. Remember that, Tony. He failed you; you never failed him.” He paused. “You are everything to me, Tony. I would do anything for you. I would die for you.” He lifted his chin. “You understand me?”

Tony’s eyes watered as he bit his lip. “I don’t deserve you.”

“Don‘t say that. Some day I hope to convince you that you deserve the world.” He pulled him into a tight hug. “I can’t erase what he did to you. But, you have a family now. You, me, grandpa, Ducky, Tim, Ziva, Jimmy, and Abby. You belong with us.”

Tony nodded. “What if I’m not strong enough?”

“You are. You just need to believe in yourself. Don’t let him have any more power over you. You are strong and our family gives you strength as well.” He smiled. “Okay?”

“Okay.”

*

They met Fornell at Rock Creek Park and went over the layout of the hotel. Fornell informed Tony of where the video cameras and listening devices were throughout the suite. Tony had to admit to himself that the surveillance set up was impressive and thorough. It gave him a small sense of security.

Tony and Gibbs returned to his car and they stopped at their favorite coffee shop. Gibbs ordered a venti. He felt he needed it. Tony’s stomach was in knots so coffee wouldn’t be the best thing right now. They said few words as they waited.

“You okay?” Gibbs asked.

“Not really.” Tony answered. “Could use some bourbon right now.” He tried to keep a light tone, but he knew he was failing miserably.

“It’s almost over.” Gibbs tried to sound reassuring.

“I know.” He sighed. “W-Would you be disappointed in me if I told you I-I was scared to see him?” Tony looked so vulnerable.

“Not at all. I get scared too.”

“When?” He said, disbelief apparent in his eyes.

“When I was in Desert Storm, there were days I was terrified. Everyday when I send my team out to fight the bad guys, I get scared something will happen to you all.”

Tony looked down. “I don’t think I can compare my situation to war, Boss.”

Gibbs grabbed his hand briefly. “This is your war, Tony. And you are a survivor. You’re a good man and you will win.”

“How do you know?”

“I feel it in my gut.” He smiled and stood. He walked Tony to his car. Beside the mustang, McGee was in one of the NCIS vehicles.

“Boss. It’s time.” McGee smiled at Tony and nodded his head in encouragement.

Gibbs had one last look at Tony. “Remember, at the hotel, I’m right next door.” He got into the passenger seat and left Tony standing by his car. Tony grabbed his keys and slowly made his way to the hotel.

*

Tony took his time en route to the Adams House. His hands shook slightly as his knuckles had turned white gripping the steering wheel. He was trying to convince himself that this was simply an undercover op. But, he knew he was fooling himself. In all his years as a cop and an agent, he had never felt so scared before. He tried to calm himself with deep breaths and thinking about Gibbs. He smiled briefly thinking of the gruff marine. He had always dreamt of having a father in his life that cared about him. And it seemed Gibbs did. At times, Tony couldn’t believe it, but the man had never lied to him, why should he start now.

Tony’s heart sped up when he saw the entrance to the grand hotel. He pulled into the drive and stopped when he reached the valet. A gentleman opened his door.

“Welcome to the Adams. Do you have any bags?”

“No. Just here for dinner.”

“Very well, sir.” The man ripped the valet ticket and handed it to Tony. The senior agent took a deep breath and straightened his back. He was beginning to regret his choice in clothing. Usually his dapper suits served an almost armor like quality for the agent. He felt stronger when he dressed in his Zegna suits. He knew he looked good in them and even at his most insecure, he would appear to be the poster boy for confidence. Now, walking into the lion’s den, he felt small and insignificant; his superficial armor not providing any protection. He forced himself to walk to the front desk.

“May I help you sir?” The attendant said with a smile.

Tony cleared his throat. “I am here to meet my father. Anthony Dinozzo Senior?”

He typed into the computer. “Ah, yes. Mr. Dinozzo.” The man snapped his fingers and another man approached the desk. “Enrico, please escort Mr. Dinozzo to the Jefferson Suite.”

“Yes, Sir.” The bellhop answered in a thick accent. “Please follow me, Mr. Dinozzo.”

*

Gibbs and McGee entered the smaller suite next to Senior’s room. The FBI was now live. There were three monitors with the feed of the suite. One showing the main room, one for the bedroom and one for the bathroom. All in all, they had set up six cameras throughout Tony‘s father‘s room.

Gibbs heard Senior’s voice as he conducted some business. Just the sight of the man made him want to rush in there and kill him his bare hands. But, he had to practice some restraint but it wouldn’t be easy.

“Jethro.” Fornell said gruffly as he handed his friend a cup of steaming coffee. “Just waiting for your boy to arrive at the suite. My agent posted in the lobby said he just left the front desk.”

Gibbs grunted in response. He turned towards the door and saw Ziva, Ducky, and Abby in the back of the room. They wanted to be here to support Tony. McGee had taken a spot next to the FBI agent manning the computers and monitors. They were all in place.

There was a camera in the hallway and they saw how Tony stepped out of the elevator a few minutes later. He slowly walked towards the large door to the suite. Tony checked his watch and arranged his clothes. He smoothed down his hair. Gibbs could tell how nervous his son was. He wanted nothing more than to go be by Tony’s side, but he couldn’t. They all watched as Tony hesitated in front of the door, but finally forced himself to knock.

“Come in.” Was the harsh response Tony heard. The senior agent entered the palatial suite. His legs felt like jelly. He had to concentrate to walk towards his father, especially when he saw the stern look on his face. It had been over five years since he had seen Senior.

“Father.” Tony said quietly as he watched as him stand when he walked into the main room.

“Anthony.” He responded curtly as he looked his son up and down. “Glad to see you dressing properly, boy.” He said in annoyed tone.

Tony’s heart was clamoring away in his chest. “I came from work.” He said softly.

“Ah…work.” Senior answered with a roll of his eyes and proceeded to sit down and cross his legs. “Anthony. A drink.”

Tony seemed to jump at the command. “Y-Yes s-sir.”

*

Gibbs sat in the next room, seething. In the few minutes he had observed the interaction between Tony and his father, he felt nauseous. He stood and walked to the edge of the room where he observed his team. Abby was turned away from the monitors holding onto Ducky’s hand. Ziva had a murderous look in her eyes and Ducky had sadness in his. Gibbs hugged Abby.

“I’m not sure I can hear all this.” She whispered as a tear slipped from her eye.

“It’s okay, Abbs. Tony would understand.”

“I’ll be strong for him. He’ll need us when this is over.” She tried to smile. Gibbs kissed her on the cheek and returned to the front of the room.

*

“Macallan 18. Three fingers and one ice cube.” Tony said as he handed Senior the cocktail.

“Glad to see you didn’t forget everything I’ve taught you.” He scowled as he watched Tony take a seat opposite him. “And you’re drinking?”

“Water.” Tony replied quietly.

“Hmm.” Senior sniffed as he took a sip of his drink. “So. Your work.” He waved his hand as if dismissing it. “I still see you are a cop, judging by what you’re wearing.”

Tony had to calm himself. His father always did this to him. He tied him up in tight knots. “I-I’m a federal agent.”

Senior’s eyes narrowed. “Not the FBI.”

Tony shook his head. “NCIS.”

“And what, pray tell does that even stand for? It can’t be that important if I’ve never heard of it.”

Tony lowered his head briefly. His father always made him feel so small. “Naval Criminal Investigative Service. We have jurisdiction over crimes involving navy and marine personnel and their families.”

Senior chuckled and added sarcastically, “Sounds important.” He sipped his drink again. “Federal agent sound fancy; but, at the end of the day, you are still just a cop.”

Tony bit the inside of his lip so hard, he could taste blood. “Why does that bother you so much?”

Senior’s eyes hardened. “No Dinozzo should lower himself to such menial labor as law enforcement. It is beneath your upbringing. I didn’t pay all that money for boarding schools so you could go off and play with guns all day.”

Tony felt anger rising within him. “I-It’s not like I’ve gotten any money from you since high school. Y-You cut me off and threw me out after I g-graduated.”

“Of course I did.” Senior said with acid dripping from his tongue. “No son of mine is going to waste my money on some podunk college in the Midwest. You were accepted to Harvard for god sakes! How embarrassing for the family to tell them that my only son was going to Ohio State!”

“W-Why do y-you care w-what I do?”

“Stop your stuttering, BOY!” Senior said, causing Tony to flinch. His father suddenly looked to the other side of the room as his cell rang. He got up and placed his drink on the end table. He picked up his phone. “Dinozzo.” And with a big smile, he continued. “Gordon, old friend. How are you…yes…I’m in town for a few days…right now? Nothing important…yes…tonight…nine pm…I’m staying at The Adams…sure…see you then…”

When the call ended, Senior turned back towards his son. He saw how Tony was toying with his shirt collar. As he walked past his son, he slapped him across the face. “What did I tell you about fidgeting?” The hit was so hard and took Tony by surprise that he dropped his water to the floor.

“S-Sorry, f-father!” Tony bent down and picked up the ice cubes that spilled onto the expensive Persian rug. He ran to the bathroom and grabbed a towel and proceeded to clean up the mess.

*

Gibbs tensed up and walked towards the door.

“Jethro.” Fornell stopped him. “You knew this would be hard to watch. If you can’t be objective, then I will have you escorted off the premises. I will not let you compromise this investigation.”

“That’s my son, Tobias! That monster is hurting my son!” He said, his emotions getting the best of him. He hadn’t meant to be so vocal about his relationship with Tony. He hoped the other team members wouldn’t be upset about his admission. As if sensing their team leader needed their support, Abby, Ziva, Tim and Ducky walked over to him.

“It’s almost over, Jethro.” Ducky tried to assure his friend.

“As soon as he gives us the right information, Gibbs, we will get Tony.” Ziva added.

This time, it was Abby who gave the hug. Jethro gathered some strength from it. When she stepped back, she tried to make him smile. “It’s okay that Tony’s the favorite.” She grinned as she saw Jethro smirk slightly.

*

Tony frantically wiped up the water and brought the towel back to the marble bathroom. He placed it in the hamper and returned to his father.

“Still a sniveling, clumsy, worthless little child.” His father said as he placed his drink down.

Tony said nothing. He looked up when he saw his father begin to remove his jacket. When he loosened up his tie, Tony found himself taking a few steps back. Senior began walking towards the bedroom. “Anthony!” He bellowed, as he slipped his tie off. When he realized his son had not answered or followed him, he turned angrily back towards him. “Anthony!” His sounded enraged. “Go to the bedroom and remove your clothes. Now!” He smiled to himself seeing his son jump at the sound of his voice.

“N-No.” Tony answered as he took a few more steps back.

Senior stalked towards him. “Excuse me?” He stopped in front of him.

Tony took a deep breath. “I s-said n-no.”

Senior grinned evilly and backhanded Tony across the face, causing Tony to cry out in pain as he fell to the ground.

*

Jethro jumped out of his chair and went towards the door. He felt someone stop him. He turned angrily as he realized Ziva held his arm.

“Let go of my arm.” Gibbs warned.

“Just a little longer, Gibbs.” Ziva said, although it pained her for the words to come out of her mouth. “For Tony. This is how we can help him. Just a little longer.”

*

Tony struggled to get up. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, he felt wetness. When he looked down, he could see his blood. He thought of all the times he cowered, all the times his father beat him and raped him. He would not let it happen again.

“Get into the bedroom and take off your clothes.” Senior’s tone said everything.

“S-So you can r-rape me?” Tony responded.

“Rape?” Senior laughed heartily. “It’s a father’s right.”

“I-I was ten years old when you started!” Tony yelled as a few tears escaped. “W-Why? How could you? That’s n-not what a father is supposed to do!”

Senior’s eyes narrowed. “You are nothing, Anthony. You are my little whore. I knew you would be nothing but a disappointment to me.” He smirked. “Although, I must say, you were my perfect little slut. Always tight just for your father. After your mother died, I realized that our little boy was better pussy than his mother was.” He knew that hit below the belt because he saw Tony gasp and step back. The back of his legs hit the couch as he sat heavily on it. He derived such great pleasure in tearing him down.
Senior went towards him. “So, this is what you’re going to do. I will not waste my time anymore. Strip off your god damn clothes and get on the bed. Maybe I’ll have you suck my dick before I fuck your tight ass, Anthony. After all, it‘s been about five years since I‘ve had you.”

“N-No!” Tony said as he stood. For the first time, he realized he was taller than his father.

“You god damn, stubborn little shit. I will ruin you, Anthony. I will make it so you can’t find work in fucking Mayberry. You got me? I know people that are very important, you ungrateful little bastard.” He stepped forward to hit Tony again, but this time, Tony stopped him.

“D-Don’t touch m-me!” He said as he shoved his father away from him. When his father tried again, Tony punched him and Senior fell to the ground. “D-Don’t touch me…n-not a-anymore!” Senior lay on the floor, shock across his face. He held his hand against his cheek. Pure anger descended upon him as he stood. Suddenly, the door to the hotel quickly opened and he heard, “FBI! Freeze!”

Senior turned around quickly to see three men with guns trained at him. He slowly lifted his hands up. “What is the meaning of this?” He asked in an annoyed tone.

Fornell walked up to him and placed his arms behind his back. “You have the right to remain silent…”

“What is this?” He bellowed. “What the hell am I getting arrested for?”

“For starters, Mr. Dinozzo, assaulting a federal agent.” Fornell said as he continued reading the man his Miranda rights. “Anything you say can and will be used against you. You have the right to speak to an attorney…”

Gibbs rushed past Senior and Tobias to reach Tony’s side. The senior agent had lost his balance and had knelt on the floor. His arms were wrapped around himself as he looked at the floor. In his state, Tony did not even hear the FBI enter the room. He was oblivious to the flurry of activity around him, “Don’t t-touch m-me…don‘t touch me…don‘t touch m-me…d-don‘t…don‘t…” He kept repeating over and over again, mumbling to himself; he was lost in his own hellish world of despair.

“Tony?” He asked softly. “Look at me, Tony.” He knew Ducky was behind him by now. He turned to his friend when Tony did not seem to respond. “Let’s help you up, Tony.” Ducky and Gibbs worked together to lift the man up and placed him on the couch. Tony stare straight ahead, not even registering the comforting words of his dad.

“He’s in shock, Duck.” Gibbs said quietly as Tony stared at nothing.

“Talk to him, Jethro.” The ME urged.

“Agent Gibbs.” A new voice spoke. “We were told to look at Agent Dinozzo.” When Gibbs turned to the voices, he realized they were EMT’s. They stepped near Tony and heard him whimper, somehow realizing that strangers were attempting to approach him.

“No!” Gibbs said quickly. “He doesn’t need that right now. Leave him be.” He turned his attention back to Tony. The senior agent looked so lost. Gibbs stroked his hair and spoke to him softly. “It’s okay, Tony. It’s over. You did so good…” After some moments, his words seemed to break through whatever wall Tony had constructed.

“Daddy?” His voice whispered as he looked at Gibbs with such innocent eyes.

“Hey.” Gibbs smiled. “You did good, Tony. Fornell took him into custody.”

“I-It’s over?” He asked with hope in his voice. When Gibbs nodded, Tony continued. “S-Safe now?” He choked on his words as the tears flowed from his eyes. He felt Jethro’s arms encircle him. He was surrounded by warmth and the smell of sawdust. It was the best feeling in the whole world.

“You’re safe, Tony. You’re safe…” Gibbs replied as he held him in his arms.


TBC…
End Notes:
Warning: violence, OOC, angst, very strong language, references to child abuse; slight change in canon (Tony was disinherited after high school)
Chapter 12 by mariep
Chapter 12

The group had to help a physically and emotionally exhausted Tony down to the cars. Ducky had declared Tony bruised and a little battered but not needing immediate ER attention. Gibbs pulled his car up to the back entrance as McGee led a pliant Tony into the backseat. Not wanting to leave him by himself, Tim shared a look with Gibbs and stayed with Tony in the back. As he sat down, Tim placed his arm around his friend. Tony, still not saying anything, leaned into him. McGee knew he was doing the right thing when he heard a small content sigh from the older man as he lay his head on McGee’s shoulder. He watched as Tony closed his eyes, likely from exhaustion. Gibbs had given Abby Tony’s keys and she and Ziva followed in Tony’s car. Ducky rounded up the rear of the small caravan. They headed to Gibbs’ place.

When they arrived, Jackson and Palmer met them at the front door. It was late, so the two men had made coffee and some snacks. They knew it was a tense day and many of the group had not eaten properly.

Gibbs and McGee led Tony in and lay him down on the couch. Abby wrapped a USMC blanket around the senior agent and she sat down and placed his head in her lap. She stroked his hair softly as she murmured kind words to him as he slept. The others sat at the kitchen table and did partake in the food.

“How did it go, Leroy?” Jack broke the silence.

Gibbs clenched his teeth. He was still so disgusted and angry with the way Tony had been treated by Senior. “We got him.” He answered. “Fornell’s interrogating him as we speak.”

Ziva looked up, but spoke quietly. “You do not think with all his money, his father will be able to get up, do you?”

McGee smiled slightly. “It’s get off, Ziva.”

“Up…off…whatever.” She waved her hand.

“I’ll make sure he doesn’t ever see the light of day again.” Gibbs said with conviction as he sipped on his coffee.

*

When morning came, Tony continued to sleep. Gibbs used the opportunity to go down to FBI headquarters. He met a fatigued Fornell in their work area.

“So?” Gibbs asked.

“He knows he’s screwed. His lawyer is in with him now.” Fornell said quietly as he downed some coffee.

“Tell me he won’t make bail, Tobias.” Gibbs said, concern in his voice.

“I’m hoping the assault upon a federal officer charge will keep him indefinitely. The judge who is going to hear the case is also notorious for being hard on child molesters. Plus, coupled with the other charges to come, even his fancy lawyer will have a hard time getting him out for now.”

“Good.” Gibbs answered, relief in his voice. He turned to walk away. “I need to get Tony away for a little bit. Is it okay for him to leave town?”

“Should be. If I need you, I’ll call.”

Gibbs nodded. “And Tobias?”

“Yeah, Jethro?”

“Thanks.”

*

Gibbs went to talk to the Director and requested a two week leave for him and Dinozzo. The rest of the team would do cold cases in their absence. After receiving approval from Vance, Jethro returned home.

Jackson was in the kitchen. “Leroy.”

“Dad. Tony still sleeping?”

Jackson nodded. “The boy needs rest.”

“Agreed. So, would you mind if we pack up and go back to Stillwater with you?” Jethro asked.

Jackson smiled. “Mind?” He said and slapped Jethro playfully on the head. “You never have to ask, Leroy. It’s your home too. Anyway, I’ve been talking about Tony to my friends for so long, they have been itching to meet him.”

“Then it’s settled.”

*

Tony woke slowly in the afternoon. At first he did not recognize where he was. His breath hitched and he sat up quickly. He still felt highly emotional from what had occurred. He suddenly felt panicked when he did not hear many sounds in the house. He stepped out into the hallway. “Dad?” He said and then rushed down the steps. He didn’t see Jackson or Jethro. “DAD?!” He looked around.

Jethro burst through back into the house from the back door when he heard the frantic tone of Tony. “Hey, bud. I’m right here.” He hugged Tony and the younger agent grabbed onto his shirt tightly. “Jack and I were just outside.”

As Tony calmed down, he stepped back, face flushed with embarrassment. “Sorry.” He mumbled as he kept his head down.

“It’s okay, Tony. Let’s sit down.” He led him over to the couch. “You hungry?” Tony shook his head. “So, I talked with Vance this morning. He gave us both a few weeks off.” Tony said nothing, so he continued. “I thought we could go with Grandpa to Stillwater.”

Tony lifted his head slightly. “Us?”

“Yeah. After some lunch, why don’t we pack up and head out. We’ll take the Charger. Should be a good ride.” He grinned when he saw a small smile upon Tony’s face.

*

Gibbs had to tone down his aggressive driving style en route to Stillwater. Not only was Tony exhausted, but his father was leading the way. Since driving out of DC, Tony seemed to relax slightly. He still did not say much, but Gibbs knew he was excited to finally see his Boss’ hometown. Under different circumstances, Tony probably would have provided a very spirited dialogue the whole way to Pennsylvania.

When they stopped for gas, Gibbs noticed Tony glancing periodically at the shop connected to the gas station. Gibbs smiled and reached in his back pocket and brought out his wallet. He pulled some bills from it. “Tony, why don’t you go grab some snacks.” His heart nearly melted as his son smiled.

“Really?” He asked. “Are you sure?”

“Yep. Whatever you want.” Gibbs smirked. “Just grab me a coffee. See if your grandpa wants anything.

“Okay.” Tony took off. Gibbs couldn’t believe how the simplest things seemed to make Tony happy.

*

When Tony returned, Gibbs laughed to himself as he surveyed Tony’s stash. He had a few candy bars, a big soda, and some popcorn. Jethro managed to finish his coffee before taking off. He did not want to spill any in his Charger.

“How much longer to Stillwater, Boss?” Tony asked, a slight twinkle in his eye.

“’Bout an hour.”

“Cool.”

Gibbs was please to see Tony more animated than before. They still had not discussed the events of the previous night, but Jethro knew it was a conversation that would need to be had.

After some time, Tony turned to Gibbs. “Never really done this before.”

“Done what, Tony?”

The senior agent shrugged. “You know. Road trip with f-family.” He ended the sentence so softly, as if saying the words would make this all disappear.

Gibbs smiled sadly, his heart breaking for all the experiences Tony’s upbringing lacked. “Well, first time for everything, kiddo.”

*

When they arrived at Jackson’s house, Tony stretched his arms as he stepped out of the car. He looked upon the small house and smiled. Although he had grown up in a mansion, Tony loved the idea that this house looked like a home. The trip had left him exhausted and after placing their things down, Jack led Tony to a bedroom. The fatigued senior agent lay down and went to sleep.

*

As excited as Tony was to be in Jethro’s hometown, the first two days in Stillwater were spent mostly resting. Tony had not wanted to leave the house; he was quiet and slightly withdrawn. Jethro did not push, he felt Tony would open up in time. He just wanted his son to feel safe.

They ate meals together. While Jackson tended to his store, Tony would read or watch TV. They all spoke of nothing in particular. Jethro wanted to give Tony space to work out his emotions in his head.

On day three, Jethro gathered some things and placed them in his father‘s truck. Tony was sitting on the back porch soaking up the late morning sun. His eyes were closed, but he was not sleeping. He heard the back door open, and turned to the noise.

“Up and at ’em, Tony.” Gibbs said lightly.

“Where are we going?” Tony asked when he saw Gibbs smile slightly.

“Not far. Let’s get going, okay?”

Tony stood up slowly. He wasn’t sure why he felt nervous leaving the house. He could not explain it to himself. He felt secure and safe in the sanctuary of Jackson’s home. It was as if he stepped outside he would have to face things that he wasn’t sure he had a handle on as of yet. He trusted Gibbs so he reluctantly followed him to Jackson’s beat up vintage Ford.

*

They drove about ten minutes on the main street and then turned onto a dirt road. Eventually, they stopped. Tony looked around and had to marvel at the simple beauty of the place. There were trees as far as the eye could see and a still lake, the late morning sun causing the water to shimmer brilliantly. He turned to watch Gibbs pull out two coolers and two lawn chairs. Tony silently helped him bring them over closer to the water. Jethro then fetched two fishing poles from the truck.

“Um…” Tony said with wide eyes as he gazed at him. “I-I don’t fish, Boss.”

“Like I said a few days ago, kiddo, first time for everything.” He smirked as he readied the first pole with tackle.

“No offence, Boss, but nature and I don’t mix. Don’t get me wrong, it’s real pretty out here…” Tony gestured to his surroundings, “but I’ve never fished before.”

Jethro smiled to himself as he listened to Tony. “My dad used to take me fishing when I was younger.” Gibbs answered as he prepared the second pole. He waited as Tony sat next to him, obviously now understanding why Jethro wanted to take him here.

Tony sighed. “I’ll probably suck at it.” He said quietly as he grabbed a pole.

“You won’t. I’ll teach ya.” Gibbs said with a smile.

*

A few hours later, Tony and Jethro sat sipping on some beers after they finished their sandwiches. Inside a cooler were four large fish, two of which Tony had caught. Gibbs couldn’t help but be proud as Tony concentrated and learned quickly. He caught his first even before Jethro did. The look of pride on his son’s face melted his heart.

As they enjoyed their beers, they stared at the water. Tony sat forward slightly, fiddling with his the label on his bottle. He spoke softly, “This is what families do.”

“What, Tony?” Gibbs answered as he turned to his son.

Tony sighed as he leaned back as he looked at the lead agent. “Not necessarily the fishing, but eating together, spending time together.” His voice shook slightly. “I knew things were bad growing up…b-but I never truly realized what I had missed out on ‘til I met you…” He shook his head and then met the older man’s gaze. “T-thank you…” He whispered.

“You don’t need to thank me, Tony. You’re easy to love.” Gibbs moved his chair closer to Tony’s and placed his arm around his son. Tony leaned over and placed his head on his dad’s shoulder and sighed. He didn’t care how pathetic he was, it made him feel better. Gibbs spoke again. “It’s okay to need people, Tony. It’s not a crime. It doesn’t make you weak.”

After some time, Tony stood. He walked over to the edge of the lake. “I thought I’d feel different.” Gibbs made his way towards him.

“How?” Jethro answered.

“H-He’s in custody. I should feel h-happy…I should have closure.” He turned towards his dad. “B-But I don‘t. I’ve been asking myself is it because I think he’ll get off? I don’t know.” He rubbed his eyes roughly. “What’s wrong with me?” He had such despair in his voice. Gibbs embraced him to try to reassure him.

“There’s nothing wrong with you.” Gibbs said with conviction. “He will pay for what he has done to you.”

Tony stepped back. “Even if he does, it can’t erase what he did to me. I’ll still be scared, I’ll still have nightmares…I’ll still be pathetic!” Tony yelled as his frustration grew.

“You are not now or ever will be pathetic.” Gibbs replied as he motioned for Tony to sit back down. “You’re not broken. It will take time to process what happened to you.”

“But why do I feel nothing? We got him. He’s in jail. Hopefully for a long time.” He sniffed. “I don’t understand.” He whispered.

Jethro grabbed Tony’s hand as he took a deep breath. “When Shannon and Kelly were murdered,” he began, “Franks was the NIS agent assigned to the case. He left the folder open with information about the killer of my girls.” Gibbs stopped, needing collect himself. “I went down to Mexico and found the bastard.” Tony’s eyes were wide with surprise. “From a distance, I shot him.” Gibbs eyes teared as he felt Tony squeeze his hand. “I killed him. I killed the bastard that destroyed my family.” His voice trembled. “And when it was done, I expected all the pain to slip away, that somehow the world would make sense again. But…it didn’t. My loss was as painful as the day I found out. I sat on a beach in Mexico for hours after what I did, my sig in my hand.”

When Tony realized the implication of that, he gasped. “Dad?”

Gibbs continued. “But I couldn’t do it. I knew my girls would have been disappointed in me. I had to force myself to move forward. It was painful and took many, many years. And I didn’t always get it right. Until now.” Gibbs sadly smiled at his son as he stood, pulling Tony up as well.

“No one knows, do they?” Tony asked quietly.

“No.” He said as he began to gather their things.

“Thank you for trusting me, Dad.” Tony replied. “A-And…I don’t judge you…for what you did…” He placed a hand on Gibbs’ shoulder and the two hugged.

“Let’s get back.” Gibbs said after he cleared his throat. “Grandpa’s waiting.”

TBC…
Chapter 13 by mariep
The next morning after breakfast, Tony asked Jack if he could go to the store with him. The look on the old man’s face was priceless.

“Been waiting for you to ask, Boy.” Jack answered affectionately. “Let’s go.” He motioned to Tony and Jethro to follow him. They made their way to the old truck and traveled the short distance to the General Store. While Jethro went directly to the coffee maker, Tony slowly walked around. He relished the look and smell of the old place; it appeared to be straight out of the movies he used to love as a child. He jumped slightly when a hand touched his shoulder. “Come on, kiddo,” Jack began, “gonna put you to work.”

“Work?” Tony whined slightly. “Grandpa…” Tony smiled.

“This is a price gun.” He manipulated the numbers slightly and picked up a can. “See? Run it over this and click and there you have it. $1.05.”

Tony looked at him. “A buck o’ five? You could sell it for more in DC.”

“Probably. You city slickers don’t realize how much prices are inflated sometimes. Anyway,” he handed the apparatus to Tony, “get moving. There’s a whole box to be priced over there.”

Tony stepped back a bit. “I don’t want to screw it up.” At first Jack and Jethro thought he was joking, but the look on the younger man’s face told them otherwise.

“It’s real simple, son.” Jack said encouragingly. “You’ll do fine. This is nothing compared to the incredible work you do keeping people safe everyday.” He watched as Tony blushed slightly and bit his lip. He reached out and took it and quietly went over to the box.

Jack shared a look with his son. Jethro nodded his thanks. He knew he made the right decision coming home. He wanted Tony to get some distance from DC and his evil father and he also wanted him to experience some quiet time with family. Jack was so good with him. He just wanted Tony to understand that he was loved.

*

The three men worked quietly for the next few hours. Tony checked some customers out at the cash register and Jethro had to chuckle at the excitement in his eyes as he interacted with some of the townspeople.

In the early afternoon, two older women walked in. Jethro stood to greet them. He had not seen the Carter sisters in years.

“Well, well.” The older woman started. “Leroy! My, my how you have grown.” She walked up to him and gave him a big hug. “Still handsome, I see. But, Jack,” she turned to the eldest Gibbs, “he is as gray as you!” She laughed as her sister walked up. “Betty! Look it’s Leroy!”

“Yes, Ruthie…I see that!” She rolled her eyes as she walked over to Jethro. “How are you, Leroy?”

Gibbs couldn’t help but smile at the old sisters. “I’m fine, Ma’am.”

“And still so polite!” Ruth responded as she hugged him. “Nothing like your scoundrel of a father!” She said jokingly as she waved at Jack as he went to stand by an amused looking Tony.

Betty gasped slightly and she walked towards the two men. “Jackson Gibbs…is this Anthony?” She went over to them. “How come you did not let us know he was here so we could finally meet him?” She went over to the counter and hugged a slightly surprised Tony. She stepped back and pinched his cheek. “And so handsome!”

“Um, thank you, Ma’am.” Tony said shyly as he took in the scene.

Ruthie joined them. “Jackson talks about you all the time! We are so happy you came to visit.” She gasped and looked at her sister. “They must come to Sunday dinner tonight!”

“Of course!” Her sister agreed. “By the looks of it, we need to fatten you up, young man.” She looked at Tony.

“Sure, that sounds great. Thank you for the invitation.” He replied.

The sisters both clapped with excitement. They grabbed a few things and paid for them, chatting with Tony the entire time. After they left, Tony took a deep breath as he looked at Jethro and Jack.

Jack chuckled. “We call them Hurricane Carters. They are sweet women but kind of overwhelming with their enthusiasm.” He wiped his hands after setting some dusty boxes down. “Should be a good meal. They’re the best cooks in Stillwater.”

Jethro looked at Tony. “If you’re not up for it, it’s okay.”

Tony shook his head. “No, I’m okay. They seem real nice and it sounds like fun.”

Gibbs smiled. “Alright, let’s head back so you can rest and then I can show you around a little more before going to dinner.”

“Okay, Dad.” Tony responded with a big smile as he followed Gibbs out of the store.

*

The two weeks spent in Stillwater were very therapeutic for Tony. He felt grounded and safe for the first time in his life. He knew now that Jethro and Jack were his family and would be forever. He was confident that they would never hurt him or abandon him. And for Tony, to accept that centered and calmed him. He knew he would still have the bad memories of his biological father, but he was not alone anymore. The Gibbs men and his entire team knew his ‘dirty little secret’ and they did not judge him. In fact, they had embraced him even more.

Tony did return to work and his team noticed a change in the Senior agent. He was quieter, although he still cracked jokes and called McGee names. They all thought to themselves how strong Tony had been all those years to hide so much behind his mask. They felt happy that he could be himself around them and they supported him all they could.

*

NINE MONTHS LATER

Dinozzo Senior had plead guilty to most charges. Initially, he tried to plea out of charges of assaulting a federal officer, rape, and incest. He said he would cop to the corruption and fraud if the charges against Tony would be dropped. But luckily, the district attorney had read all of Tony’s statements and those of former workers of his father, and refused to allow a deal. So finally, after months of negotiations with his attorneys, Senior admitted his guilt to all charges. He knew there was no way to deny them. There was too much damning evidence against him to weasel out of his terrible crimes.

After reading the numerous charges levied against him, the judge had sentenced Anthony Dinozzo, Senior to seventy-five years in federal prison. Gibbs was in the courtroom to hear the sentencing. He could not help the smile on his face as he knew this man could not hurt his son anymore. The monster was stopped.

As he watched Senior being led away in shackles, Gibbs turned and left. He wanted to get back to Tony. Jethro had wanted Tony to accompany him, but Tony was not ready to face the man again. He had to reopen his wounds over the last nine months in discussions with prosecutors, but he could not come to the courtroom. Jethro thanked the heavens above that Tony did not have to testify in front of a jury; he is not sure he could of handled that.

As Gibbs returned home, he found Tony napping on the couch. Despite the fact it was a weekday, Vance had given both men the day off; he knew what an important day it was for them.

Jethro smiled at the sleeping figure. His once lonely home had become transformed with the addition of Tony. After returning from Stillwater, Tony let his lease lapse and moved in with Gibbs. They both knew that he would not stay forever; but, for the time being, they were happy with the arrangement. One day when Tony was ready, he’ll move back out on his own. Jethro hoped he could recover fully, meet a nice girl if he wanted to, and make a life for himself.

Gibbs lightly shook Tony’s shoulder. “Hey, bud.” He waited while his son stirred. “Tony.”

His eyes flickered open. He slowly sat up. He looked at his father, but no words could come out; his heart was thundering in his chest. Jethro knew Tony wanted to ask, but was too afraid.

Gibbs placed his arm around his son. “Judge gave him seventy-five years.”

Tony nodded and looked down as his eyes watered. A small sob escaped him as he tried to turn away from his father. Jethro wouldn’t have it. He pulled Tony close to him and allowed his child to cry. They sat there for hours, not exchanging any words.

*

EPILOGUE

A few months later, Tony stood in the kitchen on a Saturday morning. They were off for the weekend and Tony had something important to do. Gibbs was going to spend the day working on his boat.

“What are your plans today, Tony?”

“Just errands and stuff, Dad. I’ll be gone most of the day. Is that okay?”

Gibbs smiled and replied, “Sure. Anything you need me for?”

Tony paused for a moment but then shook his head. “I’m okay.” He grabbed the keys to his Mustang. “I’ll check in later, okay?” He smiled at his father.

“No problem, Tony.”

*

As Tony drove the forty five minutes into Maryland, he had a lot of time to gather his thoughts. He wanted to tell Gibbs what he was doing, but he knew his Dad would have wanted to accompany him. And, if Tony was honest with himself, he would have let him. Gibbs calmed him and took away his fears. But, this was something he had to do alone. And now, after all this time, Tony felt like he could.

As he walked into the maximum security prison, he had to pass through a metal detector. He did flash his federal agent badge and that got him ahead in line. There were scores of people there to see their loved ones. Tony was happy he did not have to get processed with the masses.

A correctional officer led Tony down a corridor, in what appeared to be the administrative wing. He gestured for Tony to take a seat and said, “The Warden will be with you momentarily.”

Tony nodded his thanks and took a seat. After a few minutes, Tony stood to greet the older, stern looking gentleman. “Warden Chase, thank you for meeting me.” He extended his hand.

“Come on, Tony, why so formal?” He smiled as they shook.

Tony laughed. “Okay, Mike. How are you? It’s been a while.”

“Yes. It has been. I’m sure they still miss their best Detective in the Baltimore PD.”

“Well…” He shook his head. Tony had encountered the Warden many times during his tenure in Baltimore. Dinozzo had been responsible for putting many men and women away in this prison.

He took a seat opposite the Warden. “I appreciate the short notice and all.” Tony said quietly.

Mike replied, “It’s no problem, Tony. I know what he’s in for and I’m sorry.”

“Yeah…well…is it possible for a sit down? I don’t know with his level of security, if that might be possible.”

“If his crimes were just related to fraud and such, he wouldn’t be here. It’s his crimes against you that qualified him for max security. The first few months are spent in some isolation and soon, he’ll move to the General Population.”

“Gen Pop?” Tony asked, somewhat surprised. “I figured with the charges against me, he would qualify for the secured unit.” Tony knew that rapists and child molesters were at the bottom of the food chain in prisons. They were not safe. As much as he was glad his father was in prison, he was not sure how he felt about that.

“We take it by a case to case basis, Tony. If it is safer for him to be moved, he will be.” Mike stood. “Shall we? I have him in a small room. There are cameras and recording devices.” The Warden could see the slight relief on Tony’s face, even thought the young agent did not respond. They traversed the gray hallways quietly. As they neared the prisoners, Tony started to become a little nervous. He had not seen Senior in almost one year, since that fateful day in the hotel room. He stopped at the door. He could see through the tiny window, his father sitting with his arms and legs shackled to a chair. He took a deep breath and walked in.

*

When Tony sat, he could see that prison had not been kind to Senior. His normally tanned skin was pale and his face was gaunt. The man had clearly lost at least fifteen pounds. But what did not change was the cold look in his eyes as he gazed upon his son.

“Anthony.” He said in a hissing tone. “I was wondering when you’d get the balls to face me.”

Tony expected to panic as he looked upon the man who almost ruined his life. But, he felt an amount of calm as he stared at him. “I was busy living my life. How have things been for you?” He smiled slightly to see the surprised look on his father’s face at his tone. Senior thought he would see the scared Tony, but this version seemed different, confident. Senior didn’t like it.

“Oh, I love being locked away in this hellhole thanks to an ungrateful brat of a son.”

Tony raised his eyebrow. “I’m sorry, am I supposed to be grateful that you abused and raped me for all these years?” His eyes narrowed and became deadly as he leaned towards his father. “You are the sick asshole that did this to yourself. Not only did you hurt me, but countless people lost their fortunes and retirement savings because of you.”

Senior huffed. “Those people were stupid if they thought they could get returns like that; they are to blame for believing me.”

Tony leaned back and chuckled bitterly. “You are a piece of work. It took me a long time to stop blaming myself for what you did to me. It didn’t matter if I tried to be good, to be perfect, you are broken inside and decided to take it out on a defenseless child. It wasn’t my fault. It was yours.”

Senior laughed. “Therapy must be working.”

“It’s not therapy. It’s being around a family for the first time in my life. I have a father and two grandfathers; two brothers and two sisters. It’s amazing to be around such good people.” Tony paused as he thought of them. “Life did not have to be like this, Father. You made horrible choices and now you will pay for the rest of your miserable life.”

“I’m sure that makes you happy.” He sneered.

“Happy? Maybe. But honestly, all I feel for you is sadness. It may take years for me to completely recover from what you did to me. But, I forgive you. I forgive you because I don’t want to hold on to hate. I want to move on. I want to have a good life. I was given a second chance; a chance to be happy. I get to have Christmas and Thanksgiving with my family. I won’t be lonely or feel the kind of despair I have felt for many years. I am going to move on; look forward.”

Tony could tell his words were having an effect on his father. His face was becoming redder by the minute.

“Like Gibbs is going to want to have a sniveling little brat like you as a son.”

Tony stood and shook his head. “I feel sorry for you.” He paused. “Has anyone come to visit?” He watched as his Father looked away slightly. “All your high-powered friends and multiple ex-wives. I’m sure when they found out what you did, they high tailed it away from you. How does that feel, Father? To know that no one cares that you are here?”

“Shut up, you little shit.” He said as he struggled against his bindings. “You are worthless.”

“No.” He stepped closer to him. “I’m not. It’s taken some time for me to get there. But, I know who I am.” He sighed. “I did not come here expecting an apology and a change of heart. You are who you are and that will never change.” He walked to the door and turned one last to his father. “Your time here will be difficult, Anthony. The Dinozzo name is known in this prison.”

“What?” He responded angrily.

“I locked up a bunch of criminals in my time in Baltimore.” He paused as he met his father’s cold eyes. “And perps here don’t take kindly to pedophiles.” He smiled. “Watch your back.” Tony knocked on the door and was let out. As he walked back towards the exit with the Warden, he could hear Senior shouting obscenities.

*

When Tony stepped outside the gates, his eyes had difficulty adjusting to the bright sun. He placed his sunglasses on and tilted his head up a bit. The warmth of the day washed over him and he felt light and free. As he made his way to his car, he saw a figure leaning against it. He couldn’t help but smile. No words were exchanged between the two for a moment.

“Ducky dropped me off.” Gibbs said with his arms crossed, slight smirk on his face.

“How’d you know? Tony asked.

Gibbs stood straight and placed his hand on Tony’s shoulder. “I know my boy.”

Tony nodded. “Thanks, Dad.”

“I’m always here for you, son.” Jethro said as he hugged him briefly.

As they got their emotions in check, Tony spoke. “Hey, I’m starving!” He said. “There’s a place by my old precinct that has the best deep dish.”

Gibbs slapped the top of the car and went to the driver’s side. “Sounds perfect.”

And the two drove away.

*

The end
End Notes:
Warnings: strong language and mentions of abuse.
This is the end of the fic...
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3738