Healing Within by ragazzabella
Summary: Tim is back from Georgia.The team realizes something has changed.When Cate comes to visit,They see what made Tim heal.Can he continue to heal or will he go back to the way he was.
Categories: Gen, Other Het Pairings Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Jenny Shephard, Jimmy Palmer, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Michelle Lee, Original character, Timothy McGee, Ziva David
Genre: Angst, Drama, Friendship, Romance
Pairing: McGee/OFC
Warnings: Death story, Disturbing imaginery, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3601 Read: 1752 Published: 11/24/2010 Updated: 11/24/2010

1. Healing Within by ragazzabella

Healing Within by ragazzabella
Author's Notes:
Tim is back from Georgia.The team realizes something has changed.When Cate comes to visit,They see what made Tim heal.Can he continue to heal or will he go back to the way he was.
As Timothy McGee stepped off the plane into DC from Georgia, he felt a mix of emotions. He was happy to be home and see his friends, but still sad about the events that caused him to leave. Not a day went by that he didn't think about the shooting and everyone who was lost. He had comes to term with some of it in Georgia. With the help of a fellow instructor. Tim thought about her as he walked from the plane. She had helped him more than anyone.

"McGee, it's good to have you back." Tony DiNozzo said to his friend as he meet him from the plane. Tony was now walking better then he had been when Tim left.

"Good to see you too, Tony." He replied, still uneasy about being back. He thought about everything everyday.

"McGee, it is good for you to be back." Gibbs said to his young agent. "I hope the time away did you good."

"I think it did. I am just taking it one day at time." He replied as they started walking toward the door. "Where's Abby and Ducky?"

"They are back at my house. They were cooking dinner for us all." Gibbs replied.

"That's nice." He replied as they walked toward the car. He still was uncertain about being back. But he knew it was something he had to do.

"So, did you meet any nice people in Georgia?" Tony asked as they started toward Gibbs's house.

"I did. The students were nice. The instructors too." He replied with smile to himself. He didn't know if he should mention the one who helped him the most. He didn't want them to feel bad that they couldn't help him.

"So, who was she?" Tony asked seeing the smile.

"What makes you think there is someone?" He asked.

"The smile. I haven't seen that smile in forever." Tony replied.

"Just one of the instructors. She really helped me." He said not sure about telling anymore.

"That's it. I don't get anything more." Tony replied.

"For now. If I am going to tell a story, I would rather tell everyone at once." He said as he saw Gibbs's house come into view.

"That's good for me." Tony replied.

They arrived at Gibbs's house. Abby and Ducky had made a beautiful meal for them.

"Timmy," Abby said going to hug him.

"Nice to see you too, Abby." He replied. He was glad she was up and about. He still sometimes saw her in the coma. But he knew she was better.

"Did you take the time you needed, Timothy?" Ducky asked as he came into the living room.

"Yeah. I probably could have used more but I was ready to see you guys." He replied with a smile for his friends.

"So, let's eat and McGee can tell us about Georgia." Tony said.

"Sounds good." Ducky replied as they all sat down.

"So, Tim, tell us about Georgia?" Abby asked as they began eating.

"It was nice. I meet a lot of nice people. The city was beautiful." He replied feeling good about being with friends.

"Tell us about the girl." Tony said wanting to get the good stuff.

"You meet a girl?" Abby asked not sure whether do be happy or sad that her Timmy had meet someone.

"She is an instructor at FLETC. She teaches Behavioral Analysis and Forensic Psychology. "He replied.

"Does she have a name?" Abby asked.

"Caitlin Brooks. She is a top instructor. Very smart. I don't think I would have made it without her." He replied.

"Her name is Caitlin? Wow, that's weird. What do you mean, you wouldn't have made it without her?" Tony asked remembering how Tim was before he left. Also about the irony of Tim meeting someone named Caitlin.

"When I got to Georgia, I was still pretty bad. Cate invited me to lunch one day. We didn't say much that first day. But Cate asked me to eat with her everyday. She became a good friend." He replied with a smile.

"There's more to it than that." Tony replied. He could tell that this Cate had help more than he was saying.

"Yeah, Cate invited over to her apartment for dinner one night. I found a photo of her and some people in front of the World Trade Center. I asked her about. She said that she used to work at the Trade Center. On September 11, she was working in Tower 1. Her company was having a breakfast conference at Windows on the World." He said looking at them.

"Go on, Tim." Gibbs replied wanting to hear about this.

"Her boss realized that they were short some copies. He sent her to the copy shop down the block. The first plane hit after she had left the building and was walking. Her whole company was lost that day. After it, she felt very guilty about being alive. The feelings she said she had, were the same ones I was having. She told me that she had tried to commit suicide. She took pain medication and rum." He said pausing.

"Wow, what happen?" Tony asked. Knowing that obliviously she survived but still wanting know the story.

"Well, that day, one of her friends stopped by and found her. She called ambulance. Cate survived. After that, she started therapy. She said that she realized what was important. She realized that she was meant to survive not only the trade center but the suicide as well. She found her faith. That everything happens for a reason. And that life is precious.

She wasn't meant to die either day. She said she never knew why she survived until I came. She was meant to help me and to save me. And she did. I would have drowned in guilt without her." He said with tears in his eyes.

"It sounds like she was a true friend. She knew what you were feeling and helped you." Abby replied feeling bad that she was jealous of his friend.

"I'm glad you found the person who could help you." Gibbs replied glad Tim had found her. "It's ironic that her name is Caitlin and they call her Cate.

"Yeah, when she told me her name and then said she went by Cate, I was shocked. I thought about our Kate and how we lost her. I was worried about being here without her. But she told me before I left, that it was time to see my friends who survived and to now heal with them. She also sent this for you guys and gave me this." He replied showing them the DVD message she sent them and the sliver cross she gave him.

"Can we watch it now?" Ducky asked wanting to see like the rest, this woman who help him.

"Yes." He replied handing the DVD to Abby to put in.

"Hello, Team Gibbs at NCIS. You don't know me but I feel I know you. Tim has told me a lot about all of you. I felt that I should make this video so you can understand why I was able to help. I know you all feel bad that you couldn't. But you were not meant to, yet." Cate said on the DVD.

The team just watched as this beautiful blonde explained everything.

"I'm sure Tim told you that I was at the trade center on 9/11. I did survive that day. And I am sure he told you about my suicide attempt. I survived it as well. After that, I found therapy and faith. While I was healing, I began to realize that I was meant to survive both events. Over the last 6 ½ years, I have struggled to move on and trying to find out why I survived. The answer came when Tim walked into FLETC. I have worked there as an instructor for three years. I have a master's in Behavioral Applied Analysis and Forensic Psychology from NYU. I also have a bachelor's in Computer Forensic from MIT. As well as a bachelor's in accounting. Anyway, enough about me." She said with a laugh, causing the room to laugh.

"The director of FLETC had told us about what had happened. And when I meet Tim, I knew his feelings. I immediately befriend him. We became good friends before I told him about what I had been through. He also told me about Kate. I thought it was strange that she and I have the same name. But I took as another sign that I was meant to help Tim. After that night, I knew why I had survived. I survived to save someone else. I couldn't save anyone on 9/11 but I think I saved Tim. I hope so. I'm sure you all were ready for him to come back. And I am sure he is ready but little nervous. I wasn't ready for him to leave. But I told him he needed to heal with you. I hope I did my part. Now you guys can heal as a team. Something you need to do. I hope to meet you guys one day. Tim, I hope I helped you and I will miss you. Be well and keep your faith. Faith is important. It helps. Goodbye team Gibbs." She said as the video stopped.

The team had tears in their eyes after it.

"Wow, Tim, no wonder she helped you. She is a beautiful speaker. And it is obvious she knew what you were feeling." Ducky said with a smile to Tim.

"She is that. I miss her but she was right. I need to heal with my team now." He replied. Cate had helped him so much. He wondered if he would see her again or if she was just one of those people who touch your life and then leave.

"Well, I agree with Cate. It's time for us to heal as a team. It's getting late. We all need sleep." Gibbs said. "Everyone staying here, right."

"Yeah." They all replied.

A month later, in Georgia.

"Cate, are you ok?" Linda Moore asked her friend.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Caitlin Brooks replied.

"You miss him, don't you?" She asked.

"I do." Cate replied.

"Why don't you go to DC and see him." Linda said to her friend. It was oblivious to her that Cate had fallen for him.

"I just can't take off. I have classes." She replied.

"Cate, you have tons of vacation time you haven't used. You need to. We can cover your classes. Go to DC. See him and see what happens." Linda said.

After that talk, Cate made plans to go to DC. She wanted to see Tim and see if what she thought was true. She took two weeks off. They got a temporary instructor. A girl from California who need time away from an abusive boyfriend.

Caitlin Brooks arrived in DC three days later. She didn't tell Tim she was coming. She wanted it to be a surprise. She rented a car at the airport and checked into a hotel. When she got to the hotel, she called Tim from the hotel phone.

"McGee." He said when he answered his phone.

"Hi, Tim, it's Cate." She said.

"Cate, where are you? This isn't your cell phone number." He asked when she said her name.

"I'm in DC. At the Hilton." She replied hoping he was excited to see her.

"You're here! In DC." He said excitedly.

"Yes. I was hoping we could get together." She said.

"I would like that. Why don't I come over and get you and let you meet my team?" He asked wanting the team to meet her in person. He wanted her to meet team also.

"I would love that. I have a car. I can meet you." She replied not wanting to put him out.

"Cate, it's no problem. I want to come get you." He replied sensing what she was worried about.

"Ok, what time?" She asked wanting to be ready.

"Now." He replied really wanting to see her.

"Ok, I will meet you in the lobby." She replied.

"Ok, see you soon." He said hanging up.

True to his word, Tim arrived twenty minutes later. Cate hoped this trip would allow her to tell him her feelings. Whether he felt the same or not. She just needed to tell him. Their time in Georgia had meant so much to her. She hoped it did him also.

"Cate." He said when he saw her. She looked more beautiful then the last time he saw her.

"Tim. I'm glad to see you." She said when she saw him giving him a hug. He always looked handsome but there was something different. He still had the sadness in eyes but there was hope their too.

"Are you ready to meet my team?" He asked her as he led her to his car.

"Yeah. I want to meet them. Have you been ok?" She asked as they drove.

"I'm taking it one day at time. Just like you said." He replied driving toward Gibbs's house. "I am healing."

"Good. I was worried about you. I wasn't sure if you were ready to come back. But you seem ok. I told you that you need to heal with your team." She replied looking at him. He was really handsome.

"I wasn't sure I was ready either. I wanted to stay in Georgia but you were right. I need to heal with my team. And I am starting to." He replied as they pulled into Gibbs's driveway.

"Where are we? I thought I was meeting your team." She asked when she saw the house.

"This is my boss's house. The team is there." He replied.

"Oh, ok. Let's go." She replied opening the door.

Tim came around to help her out. She looked nervous but he knew she was fine. He opened the door.

"McGee, who is this?" Tony asked not recognizing Cate from the video.

"This is Caitlin Brooks." He replied.

"Oh, Caitlin. I am so glad to meet you." Tony replied hugging her.

"It's nice to meet you, too. But please call me, Cate. I'm guessing you're Tony." She replied.

"Yeah, I'm Tony." He replied. She really was pretty. And did remind him of their Kate.

"McGee, are you going to introduce us?" Abby asked coming into the room with Gibbs and Ducky.

"Of course. This is Caitlin Brooks. The girl from Georgia." He replied.

"Caitlin, it's really nice to meet you. We are grateful for what you did for Timothy." Ducky said hugging her.

"You are welcome. But please call me, Cate. Tim did a lot of it." She replied wanting them to know that it was Tim. "He just needed to know that healing was possible."

"I know it was. But he told us how you helped him. You are an amazing person." Gibbs said. It was oblivious to them that Caitlin, well, Cate, meant a lot to Tim.

"Thank you. I appreciate the compliment but Tim did most of the work. I just helped." She replied. She didn't feel comfortable getting all the credit when Tim did a lot of it. She didn't want them to forget that.

"Yeah, but you helped. You are a very special person and it is easy to see why Tim feels the way he does about you." Abby said, letting it slip what Tim had confined in her. She knew Tim was in love with Cate. And it was oblivious that Cate was in love with him. Now they just needed to get together. And it was great that Tim found someone while trying to heal from the shooting.

"Thank you, Abby. Tim has told me a lot about you. He cares a lot about you." She replied, knowing that Abby knew that but feeling the need to tell her. "I'm sure you know that, but I just wanted to tell you."

"Thank you. So, are you happy in Georgia or could you see yourself in DC?" Abby asked.

"I like Georgia but I could see myself here in DC. If the reason I moved here was worth the effort." She replied not wanted to put pressure on Tim. She just answered Abby's question honestly.

"Cate, we should go. There is so much I want to show you." Tim replied. He wanted to get Cate alone to talk.

"Ok, it was nice meeting you all. I hope to see you again." She replied as she stood up next to Tim.

"It was nice to meet you too. I am sure we will see each other again." Abby said just as Tim and Cate went to the door.

After they left, the team talked about Tim and Cate.

"I think our Timothy has found the love of his life." Ducky said. He saw how they looked at each other. "And imagine her name is Caitlin."

"I think you are right. She is just what McGee needs. And it is irony that her name is Caitlin." Gibbs replied in agreement. He had softened toward his younger agent after the shooting. He wanted him to be happy and get on with his life. And it was oblivious that Cate was the answer.

""We are all in agreement about Tim and Cate. I just hope he tells her or she tells him." Abby said. "It's weird to say Cate. I still think about our Kate everyday. But it's nice to have another Cate."

While the team discussed that, Tim drove Cate to the site. He wanted her to see it.

"Wow, it is just like you said it was. Do you come here everyday still?" She asked hoping he didn't, as she looked at the big hole where the building use to be. After the shooting, it had been torn down.

"No, I come maybe once a week. I still need to but not as much. I think I am healing." He replied.

"I'm glad you come once a week. It is important to remember but not to dwell on it. Has your life got back to some degree of normalcy?" She replied, wanting to know everything that was going on in his life.

"To a degree. But I don't think it will ever be like it was." He replied. "But I feel I can make it now."

"Tim, your life won't be like it was, but you can still have a good life. And I really want to know about your life here. I want to get to know you here. The way you are here. Not just like you were in Georgia. I want to love you and I do love you." She replied not believing she had just said that.

"Cate, I want you to know my life here. I want you to be apart of my life. I want you to know me here. Because I do love you and I want to move on. And I think I can do that with you." He said. It felt good to get his feelings out. To admit that she was important to him. "I just don't know how."

"I can help you with everything. I know you need to heal with your team. It's important. You need them and they need you. But I want to help you move on here. I know I helped in Georgia but I want to help here. I was meant to help you and I was meant to love you. I do love you." She replied taking his hand.

"Cate, I know you can. And I want you too. But you have to be sure. I can't take anymore loss." He replied knowing he wouldn't be able to take it if she left after they got together.

"I am sure. I want to be here with you forever. I can't guarantee that everything will be perfect but I can promise to be here for you. And to be your anchor. You told me before you left, that I saved you from drowning in guilt. I want to be your lifesaver. I want to be with you forever." She replied. "Wow, I talk a lot."

"That you do. But it is nice. I do want you to be with me forever. I want us to be forever. I love you. And after the shooting, I wasn't sure I could feel that again. That I could want to be with someone. And I want you to marry me." He said as they stood there at the site of the shooting that ripped his life apart. How weird it felt to him to be asking her to live life with him in a place that had seen so much death. But it was where he felt he needed to ask her. To feel that he could move on in a place that once had ripped his life apart. To make the decision to be happy with her.

"I will marry you. And I am glad you asked me here. It shows that you are ready to move on." She replied like she knew what he was thinking. "That you feel you can have a life among the death and destruction you feel here. That life is worth living and you can have a great life."

"You are right. It is the right place. There is death and destruction here, but I think by asking you to share your life with me here, it helps the healing process. I love you, Caitlin Brooks." He replied leaning in to kiss her.

"I love you, too." She replied leaning in to the kiss.

He knew that healing was important and asking Cate to share his life was part of it. She had helped him when no one else could. She had reached the part of him that he thought was lost forever. He knew that he had a way to go to be healed. But knowing she was there with him and that his team was there, he knew that he could get through it. And have a good life with her and friends. And not to dwell on the death and destruction that was once there.

THE END
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3930