Through the Years: A Letter From Candace by Matt51
Summary: Six months have elapsed since "Through the Years: Six (Part 4)" and we are privy to one of Candace DiNozzo's letters to her brother, Mike.
Categories: Gibbs/Other Characters: None
Genre: Drama
Pairing: Gibbs/Other
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1496 Read: 3051 Published: 07/18/2005 Updated: 07/18/2005
Story Notes:
Continuing the AU series of stories telling of the growing relationship between Gibbs and DiNozzo.

1. Through the Years: A Letter From Candace by Matt51

Through the Years: A Letter From Candace by Matt51
Author's Notes:
Six months have elapsed since "Through the Years: Six (Part 4)" and we are privy to one of Candace DiNozzo's letters to her brother, Mike.

Dear Mike,

It was so good to recieve your last letter. We're very glad both you and Jethro are well and safe and pray for your continued good health each and every night. I have to admit, we do get a little anxious, sometimes, when we turn on the evening news and see the reports coming out of that area of the world. It's just so hard to believe all that fighting is taking place while we go about our lives here. We try to shelter Tony as much as possible but he's taken to changing the channel to CNN when we're not monitoring the TV. The little booger is way too smart for his own good!

Speaking of the little booger...

As you can plainly see from the photos I've enclosed, Tony finally got his wish for a real haircut and is now sporting
what he proudly calls his 'soldier cut'. The moment the barber started buzzing all that long, glorious hair off, he just broke out into one of the biggest smiles I've ever seen from him and proclaimed he was now going to look just like you and Gunny. I've never seen a child so happy over something so simple. Make sure you give a copy to Jethro. I'm sure he'll get a real kick out of it as well.

I've also included several copies of his T-Ball team pictures. He actually runs and throws real well but is still having a few problems swinging the bat. The orthopedic specialists Senator Hathaway recommended for us assures he'll be fine but that it may just take awhile to regain full strength in that arm. I don't have to tell you how surprised we all were to find what we all thought was a simple break was actually alot worse. I didn't want to burden you with all of this at the time but, now that it's over, there were moments when he would cry and beg to see you and Jethro. He was a brave little guy but he sorely missed his two 'protectors'. Anyway, we thought we'd have to continue taking him to rehab but the ortho doc is a firm believer that most kids can help themselves without all the special equipment and just suggests we make sure he gets lots of time to climb and swing on monkey bars. Jimmy tries to get him to the park a couple of times each week and tells me Tony can 'hang with the best'.

Speaking of Senator Hathaway...

The old man has been a real lifesaver. You know there's no way Jimmy and I could have afforded everything he's done for Tony. He's provided every kind of pediatric specialist you can imagine, even some you couldn't. I really don't understand him, though, because he still hasn't taken the time to see Tony yet. It's like he wants to be a part of his life without getting personal. Jimmy and I discuss this alot but we can't come up with any logical reason. For God's sake, Tony is his only grandson. Anyway, Tony doesn't like going to all these appointments with all these different doctors but he goes without too much fuss. I think he knows we're just trying to make sure he's really going to be okay but you can see in his eyes he just wants everyone to leave him alone. I don't blame him. He's had so many shots and boosters to catch up on that, for awhile, we almost thought he was going to start thinking of us like his Uncle Robert.

Which brings me to another matter.

Tony's nightmares started up again a few weeks ago and we had to get him back into regular counselling sessions. They don't happen every night but, when they do, they make the hairs on the back of my neck rise. Doctor Amberg, his psychologist, feels certain he's not regressing but is working through his memories the only way he can at the moment. She assures us he's very vocal during his sessions with her and not at all afraid to speak of what he went through. She also says that Tony speaks often of you and Jethro and of the time you all spent at the cabin. You guys made some good memories for him there and, I think, really started his healing process. Mike, please don't be upset or worry about him. I always hesitate to tell you things, knowing you're in no position to do anything, but realizing you and Jethro have a vested interest in his well-being, too. You guys have a right to know. He okay. Really.

Jimmy and I are going to take Tony and one of his buddies from the neighborhood to the zoo this weekend and he's really getting excited. We went to the library and got several book about animals, so he won't be too overwhelmed when he gets there. Jeffery, his friend, has been to the zoo before and has Tony all hyped up about how big the animals are. We'll be going Saturday, so we will be home for your regular Sunday call. I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you all about it!

Mike, I want you and Jethro to know that those weekly calls mean so much to Tony. He's always up extra-early on Sunday morning, much to Jimmy's chagrin, and stays pretty much around the phone all day until your call comes. He actually got mad at his friend last Sunday because Jeffery wanted him to come out to play and just wouldn't take no as an answer. They argued like an old married couple for about ten minutes and, then, Tony told him to 'fuck off'. Yes, that's what he said. Jimmy and I were so shocked. Neither of us speak like that around him, and we know you and Jethro wouldn't use that type of language near him, so we figure it's a throw-back to the time he spent with Robert. Anyway, Jeffery ran home to tell his mom and I had to smooth things over with her while Jimmy corrected Tony and tried to explain why it was wrong to talk like that. Actually, it was all kind of funny and Jimmy and I eventually laughed about it later.

Before I forget, I wanted to warn you to expect some type of communication from Senator Hathaway's office. The old man must have a real tight connection with Doctor Amberg because he, somehow, knows everything you and Jethro did for Tony while he was in your care. I thought there was suppose to be doctor/patient confidentiality but he mentioned during our last telephone conversation that he was planning on contacting you and Jethro. He didn't sound angry or upset but how can you really tell what's going through a politician's mind? It may be nothing more than a simple 'thank you' but I thought you might appreciate a heads up.

We still haven't heard anything from either Frank or Robert DiNozzo and, as Jimmy keeps telling me, no news is good news. I want to believe those two low-life scumbags won't just show up here someday but my gut instinct tells me this isn't over yet. Things have been going too smoothly. I once voiced my concerns to Senator Hathaway and he told me not to be troubled, that my worries were for nothing. Mike, between you and me, I don't know what Tony would do if he ever saw Robert again. He doesn't even remember Frank, which is okay with us right now, but, someday, he's going to want to know about his father. He smart enough to know Jimmy and I aren't 'mom and dad'. Let's just hope when that time comes, we'll have the right things to say to him. I know! We'll just wait until you and Jethro are home and let you handle it. Just kidding.

Well, I'll end for now and get this in the mail. Tony always make a big deal about going to the post office and mailing the letters I send and I know, deep down, he wishes he could write to you as well. Maybe someday soon he will. Make sure you share the photos with Jethro (Tony insists on it) and tell him we love him too. Be safe, little brother, and just remember you've got alot of people here at home who appreciate all you're doing.

All my love,
Candace



End Notes:
Continuing the AU series of stories telling of the growing relationship between Gibbs and DiNozzo.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4902