Mr. Eppes and the Goth by D.Lerious
Summary: IN this crossover with Numb3rs, Abby forms an online friendship with Alan Eppes through an online scrabble site. (Note: you don't need to know lots about Numb3rs to enjoy this fic, as you get to know Alan in the same way Abby does. However, I hope that Numb3rs fans enjoy it as well!).
Categories: Gen Characters: None
Genre: Crossover, Humor
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 16475 Read: 36235 Published: 12/06/2005 Updated: 02/14/2006
Story Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
Also, for most of the story, they are chatting online.

1. Chapters1-4 by D.Lerious

2. chapts 5-6 by D.Lerious

3. Chapter's 7-9 by D.Lerious

4. Chapters 10-15 by D.Lerious

5. Chapters 16-17 by D.Lerious

6. Chapters 18-24 by D.Lerious

7. Chapters 25-29 by D.Lerious

8. 30-31 by D.Lerious

9. Chapters 32-35 by D.Lerious

10. Chapters 36-37 by D.Lerious

Chapters1-4 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
IN this crossover with Numb3rs, Abby forms an online friendship with Alan Eppes through an online scrabble site.

(Note: you don't need to know lots about Numb3rs to enjoy this fic, as you get to know Alan in the same way Abby does. However, I hope that Numb3rs fans enjoy it as well!).

"Take that" Alan typed in the chat feature just before he entered his word. Art had suggested a website where one could play online scrabble with other people. The computer bleeped as an additional seventy eighty points were added to his score.

"You're gonna be sorry!" his opponent, screenamed sciencepunk, typed. The two had played a couple of times before.

After some more gametime, sciencepunk asked "Does it bother your wife that you play this much?" It was midnight Alan's time and three in the morning her time.

Hesitating, he typed "I'm a widower..."

"I'm sorry" she said. Her real name was Abby.

8888888

"What do you do for a living?" She asked at another day using the game's chat feature.

"I'm retired.Y ou?"

"I work in forensics" Abby didn't want to reveal that she worked in Navy NCIS. "What did you do?'

"I worked asa city planner."

"Do you have kids?"

"Two sons. Don, and CharlieOne is a math professor and the other is in law enforcement."

888

"What do you do when you're not losing at scrabble?" she asked sometime later.Alan was losing by a dozen points.

"Well, I love to cook, play golf, and play chess" he told her after earning quite a few points from entering the word 'equip', as the 'q' landed on a red square. "You?"

"I love role playing games"Abby typed, then entered a word that used all the letters that she had.

9999

"Charlie tells me that you've been spending lots of time on the computer" Don commented at dinner three weeks later.

"I've been playing scrabble online, and talking to people." Alan took a piece of bread from the basket.

"Like sciencepunk" Charlie teased. "They spend more time talking than playing."

"Do I smell an online romance?" Don asked, tongue in cheek.

"No! We're just friends" Alan protested.

9999

" Would you like a picture?" Abby asked via chat,during their next game. She had, with her skills, done the necessary precautions to know that aleppes555 was was not a predator.

"If you'd like, though I'm afraid I can't do the same." Alan had sensed that sciencepunk was younger than he. The man wondered why he felt self conscious about sending his picture when they were just friends.

"Why?"

"I don't have any pictures of myself on any computer." His wife had enjoyed taking pictures, but with traditional cameras.

"That's okay" she typed as he read. "For now"

They exchanged emails, and a few minutes later, Alan saw her picture.

Alan's jaw dropped when he opened the file.The first thing he noticed was a spiked collar on her neck. Then he saw the dark clothes, makeup, and whitened face. However, he loved her smile, and what it did to her eyes.

"Such a pretty face doesn't need all that makeup!" he muttered. Carefully, Alan worded his email.

"Thanks for sending me your picture! You're a very lovely young woman. I look forward to kicking your ass at scrabble tomorrow"

9999999999999

Monday came, and he found a quick email from Abby.

"I'm swamped with work, so I won't be able to play for a while. Sorry"

Disapointed, Alan wrote back " That's alright, I know what that's like. Sometimes, Don,comes by only to leave again because he gets called from work. It's the same thing with Charlie. He gets so occupied, that the house could fall down and he wouldn't notice.Last night I had to call him several times to dinner"

"Work is going very slow" she emailed back a few hours later. "I'm gonna need my caffeine fix pretty soon. I hope Gibbs brings me my big gulp"

Alan wondered who this Gibbs was, and wrote "I went golfing with my son, Charlie. He's made some of progress, though he still thinks too much about where the ball is going to go. Maybe next time, Don can join us."

It was a little over a week before they had their next game.

-
"You seem rusty " Alan teased, and used the winking smiley. Abby was behind by about twenty fivepoints.

"Not for long!" she countered, but only gained eighteen.

"You were saying?" he taunted

"squat" she put on her next turn, and typed "A very pleasurable position"
Alan raised an eyebrow and pondered his next move. Finally he added a d,u,c,and t to the word aqua, which Abby had put on another turn.

"Aquaduct" she murmured from her end,and put on a word. Now she was ten points ahead. When Alan had his turn again, she groaned. "Damn it!" Alan had entered a forty point word.

"Ha!" he typed.

88888

Tuesday morning came, Abby found an email from Alan from the afternoon before.

"Things are peaceful around here. Don's working overtime on some case, and Charlie is doing a project, here at the house, with Larry, a friend of his who is a physicist. I can't make heads or tails about what they're talking about. I'm doing volunteer work at skid row tomorrow. Maybe I could ask Edna out." Alan had mentioned her a couple of times over scrabble games. She was a fellow volunteer at the homeless shelter.

Abby shook her head and commented under her breath "What could you possibly see in Edna?" Then, she continued to read the email.

"Speaking of dates, did I tell you about the time, when I cooked a duck for this woman, who didn't eat them? Turned out that she had three as pets. In my defense, she did say that she ate meat."

Abby stopped reading the email, as laughter convulsed her.

"What's so funny Abbs?" McGee asked as he came in to ask Abby about some results to a test.

"I was just reading an email from Alan."

"You mean that guy you play scrabble with?"

"Yeah."

Later, Abby read the rest of it.

"...Not to mention that fact that it had been my first date in over thirty five years. Dating's changed so much! After that fiasco, I went out with the butcher who sold me the duck, but she cancelled our second date, because she had decided to go back to some ex boyfriend."

"Poor Alan!" Abby pouted, as her protective side came out.

The next day, Alan read her response.

"I'm sorry that you've had a few bumps along the way, but don't get discouraged. I remember one time where I was dating this really cool guy, and it turned out that he had a very jealous girlfriend, who I didn't know about and who threatened me with a whip!"

"Oh my God!" Alan put a hand on his chest.

"What is it dad?" Charlie asked.

"Abby was telling me about a bad dating experiance she had." Alan told him.

"Abby?"

"Sceincepunk"

"Oh." Charlie went back to his work, as Alan continued to read the email.

" I outran her, though I had to leave the hotel room in the buff."

The man laughed, and saw that there was more.

"And this other time, I wanted to surprise this boyfriend by being in his car, wearing something sexy, ya know, but that was the day, he lent it to his sister!"

Alan gaffawed until his eyes watered.

Just then, Don came in.

"What's so funny dad?"

"Abby was just sharing a few dating fiascos that she's had"

"Abby?"

"Sciencepunk" Charlie said.

"Oh..now you're on a first name basis?" Don smiled.

"Yeah." Alan said, but then added in answer to his eldest son's facial expression. "We're just friends. She's not my type, and I promised myself,that I would not date anyone more than twelve years younger than me."

"Okay..." Don found his father's tone a bit defensive.

"She's a goth." Alan added to make his point. "I'll show you the picture she sent me."

He opened the file. "Does this look like the kind of woman I would date?"

"You have not been dating long ,dad, so we wouldn't know" Don answered facetiously, as Charlie snickered.

777

When Abby and Alan played again, both realized how much they had missed the real time chatting.

"Prepare to lose big time!" Abby taunted.

"I am shaking in my boots!" Alan replied, after putting in a thirty five point word.

Abby countered by getting forty points on her turn.Then she asked "How'd you date go last night with Edna ?"

"Good, we talked about nothing and everthing. I'm taking her to dinner next week"

Part of her felt odd about the fact that he had a good time on his date, while the generious side of her was glad for him. Trying to put that thought away, she entered the word sultry.

"Do you like to play scrabble in the nude?" she asked suddenly. "I sometimes do"

Blushing, Alan carefully responded. "I don't live alone" Her revelation caused Alan to earn a palty six points because of the picture in his head.

"How am I ever gonna beat that :p ?" Abby teased.

Alan tried extra hard to focus on his next turn and got twenty points.

8888

"Hey dad!" Don greeted about a week later as he came in. "Is Charlie here?"

"He's in the solarium" Alan replied as he prepared dinner.

"How are things with Abby?"

"Good, though she beat me at our last game of scrabble. Mark my words, I will kick her ass next time!"

"I'm sure you will."

"I've got a date tomorow night"

"With who?"

"Edna."

"That's great dad!" Don happily got a beer from the fridge.




-
"Things with Edna went great!" Alan beamed as he waited for Abby to make her next move.

"I'm glad!"She tried to ignore that odd pang that conflicted with her truly wanting Alan to be happy.

"We had the most engaging conversation at dinner, then we went to one of those theaters that showed old film noir movies."

"Sounds awesome!" Abby's next word gave her a mere ten points.

Alan entered a thirty point word and continued "She was a social worker, until she retired about a few months ago. Like me, she has two sons. Her husband died of cancer in '97."

"Where's my picture?" Abby asked suddenly

"I don't have any digital pictures of myself." He told her, while again wondering why he felt self conscious.

Abby made her move. "Don't you know anyone with a digital camera or scanner?"

"It's your turn"

"Are you an alien or something?"

"Yes" Alan put in a low point word. "It's your turn again."

"Now I'm really curious ;) " she told him. "How about snail mail?" She had already done the precautions.

"You're willing to give me your address?"

"I trust you"

After some more coaxing, Alan reluctantly agreed to send a picture. When she got it, Abby liked what she saw, especially in light of their online friendship.

77777

Over the next two months, Abby noticed that Alan was not online as often.

"How are things with Edna?" Abby asked over a game.

"They are progressing"

"You're sleeping with her, aren't you?"

"It's your turn" Alan told her when he made his move with annoyance and chagrin.

"Alan's gotta girlfriend! Alan's gotta girlfriend!" she teased. "Do your sons know?"

"They know that I'm seeing someone"

"But you haven't introduced them to her?"

"That's a big step. How are things with that guy you told me about two weeks ago?"

"I'm sleeping with him." Abby had her turn.

"Oh." Alan had an odd feeling and found himself putting down a lower scoring word.

"Do you use music during sex?"

Alan choked on his drink."Excuse me?"

"I do sometimes, it depends ."

"Abby, there are some things I would rather keep private. Please respect that"

"You're no fun :( " Abby complained.


"Well, if being no fun means respecting Edna by being discreet about what she and I do behind closed doors,so be it." Alan told her.

"Oh...Kay..." Abby replied.

"What kind of question was that to ask?" Just then, Alan heard the phone ring, so he wrote "BRB. The phone is ringing."

It was Edna. She had red hair and blue eyes."Hey sweetie!What are you up to?"

"Playing online scrabble. You?" Alan went back to the computer, phone in hand,and waited for Abby to make her move.

"putting away groceries." She told him "Who's winning?"

"My opponent " Alan said carefully. "but by a hair."

"Who is it?" Abby asked.

"Edna."

"Oh.. It's your turn."

So, Alan talked to Edna and played scrabble at the same time.

To his frustration, Abby scored sixy points on a turn.

"Gotcha!" she boasted.

"My opponent scored sixty points on me" Alan complained to Edna.

"Oh no!"

A while passed, and Edna had to go, so the couple said their goodbyes.

"You're not on the phone anymore are you?" Abby asked a few turns later. Alan was beginning to catch up.

"No."

"When's your next date?"

"Tuesday Night"

"Where are you taking her?"

"Spring Garden. It's an excellent Chinese restaurant that's nearby."

"So will you go to her place after dinner ? I assume you will since Charlie has yet to leave the nest."

"Whether we go to her place or Manchu Pinchu after dinner is none of your business." Alan retorted. He still was not quite used to Abby's lack of inhibitions.

"Manchu Pichu? That's actually a fantasy of mine. To do it there., among the ruins."

"Do you want to know know what my fantasy is?"

"I'm all ears!"

"That you someday have a grasp of a concept known as Too Much information."

"It's your turn:)" She took what he had said in good stride.

99999

"I think it's time we met each other's sons" Edna said over dinner at Spring garden as Alan paused his fork at midair.

"Sure." he said with more confidence than he felt. Meeting the kids would make what he had with Edna more real and this scared him.

"Great! Edward, my eldest, is visiting from San Fransisco, and Tom lives nearby. We can all go out to dinner."

888888

"Something wrong Alan?" Abby asked a week later, as they played. Alan's playing was not up to par with what he was capable of.

"I'm going to meet her sons!" he told her. "We're all having dinner"

"Alan, just be yourself" she advised him.

"The last time I had to do this, was with my wife's parents!"

"I'm sure you'll do fine"

77777

"The dinner went great!" Alan wrote an email to Abby as soon as he got home from meeting Edna's sons. "We went to this Italian restaurant in Arcadia. Tom is a writer, while Edward works for some insurance company. Both of them love sports, so we had something to talk about. Apparently, my worries were unfounded. How's work?"

Abby made this reply when she read the email the next morning:

"It's awesome that the meet the kids dinner went well! When are you having her meet Charlie and Don? Work is rather hectic right now. Gibbs wants everything five minutes ago."

The aforementioned person, with a large drink, came in just as Abby clicked on the send botton.

TBC

End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
Also, for most of the story, they are chatting online.
chapts 5-6 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
In this crossover with Numb3rs, Alan and Abby form an online friendship.

Part 2(aka chs 5-6): Abby and Alan continue to play scrabble together. Little does the city planner know what surprise is in store for him!:)
"Emailing your boyfriend, Abbs?"

"He's not my boyfriend!" Abby said defensively.

"Smart, sweet,older guy, with a wonderful sense of humor and you're not dating him?" Gibbs had his doubts. Abby talked about Alan sometimesusing some of the terms that Gibbs had imitated.

"He's seeing someone" Abby said, and grabbed her drink. Then, to change the subject, she proceeded to debrief Gibbs about some findings she made on a case.

9999

"That Gibbs really runs Abby ragged" Alan complained to his sons over dinner hours later. "He expects her to do the work of several people."

"Where does Abby work anyway?"Charlie asked as he served himself some more roast beef.

"She works forensics for NCIS in Maryland." Alan said. Abby had finally told Alan what she really did. "Gibbs is an investigator who likes to slap his male subordinates on the back of the head. He has at least three ex-wives"

888

A few days later, Edna came to the house for dinner.

"You and my Edward would have lots in common. He works in insurance, and was an economics major in college." she told Charlie.

"Her younger son is a writer" Alan added.

"What kind of stuff does he write?" Don asked.

"Mostly fiction, though at the moment he's writing for a newspaper."

"Alan tells me that you two work together on cases." she commented whilst serving herself a spoonful of mashed potatoes.

"Charlie uses math to help solve crimes" Alan boasted.

"How, if I may ask?"

Careful not to violate anything, Charlie made up an example based on real life, and explained the role of math to her in great detail, even going so far, as to write complex equations on napkins.

At the end of the evening, Alan walked Edna to her car, and they kissed.

"I'll see you tomorrow night?"

"Yeah." he said, as they kissed again. After a moment, she reluctantly pulled away from him, got into her car, and left.

Sighing, he went back into the house.

"She's great dad!" Don said.

"She seems nice." Charlie told Alan.

88888

At midday, her time, Abby read Alan's email.

"Things clicked between Edna and the boys. They seemed to like her alot.That new recipe came out wonderfully. Everyone had seconds. Don't let Gibbs work you too hard .I look forward to our next game."

"Something wrong?" Ducky asked as he came in . He saw something in Abby's face.

"No, I'm just reading an email from my scrabble buddy"

"You mean the retired city planner from Los Angeles?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. How is he?"

"Great! He introduced his new girlfriend to his sons."

"I see"something in her tone got him thinking.

88888

Time passed and Alan read Abby's response

"I'm glad Charlie and Don are supportive of you dating. Otherwise, I would have gone to L.A to kick their asses!"

Alan chuckled, and continued to read the email.

"And it's awesome that they both loved Edna. She seems like a great woman. You deserve her. I should be able to play with you again by Saturday night. Prepare to lose!"

"How was your week?" Alan asked as he made the first move

"Busy. I spent most of it at the lab."

"Like my sons. They're true workaholics!"

"Do you get lonely when they're working around the clock?"

"My life is full between volunteering, golfing and friendships." Alan answered, not willing to admit that he sometimes got lonely.

"You don't miss working?"

"Not anymore"

"How did you get into city planning anyway?"

"When I graduated from college, my uncle suggested I try for a job in the city of L.A. I took the tests, and waited forever to be called for an interview." Alan answered. Abby had previously shown interest in his work by asking him about what it had entailed, though the conversation veered towards some complaints she had about zoning laws, that had made Alan both chuckle and raise his eyebrows. "How did you get a job with NCIS?"

"It looked cool,and I applied " Abby answered.

"So how are things with Josh?"

"Josh had to go to the doctor today because he sprained his arm in the closet. He took the brunt of the fall because I was on top."

Alan had a feeling Josh didn't injure himself by installing shelves. "I don't need to know all the details." He truly did not want get into the specifics of Josh's injury.

99999

"It's late! I need to start dinner!" Alan said as they played yet another game a few hours later. "Let's adjourn the game and finish it later."

"Sure"

"It's not like dad to be late with dinner" Don remarked as he drank a beer in the living room.. It was half an hour past the usual time for Saturday dinner.

"He's probably been playing scrabble again." Charlie said.

"Dinner's ready!" Alan called.

999

"How's your week so far?" Abby asked on Thursday as they played. It was around ten at night her time.

"Fine"

"What's wrong?" Abby knew that one syllable answers meant that something was amiss.

"She's has to go to Oakland for while becauseone of her sisters is sick."

88888

A week after Edna's departure, Alan returned from shopping only to find Abby at the front porch, with a couple of small suitcases next to her.

"Surprise!" she said. He dropped the paper grocery bags that he was carrying.

"Ah...how was the flight?" Alan asked lamely, as he noticed Abby's goth look, and still loved her smile.

"Great"

Quickly, Alan picked up the bags, and invited her to come in. On one hand, he was pleasantly surprised to meet the person behind the screenname, but then he worried about Edna finding out that Abby was visiting. He knew that if things had been reversed, and some younger, male , online friend came to visit Edna, it would bother him.

"Were you about to make dinner?" she asked him.

"Yeah.So ah how did you get that slave driver, Gibbs, to let you have time off?" Alan put the bags on the kitchen counter. He felt too flustered to put the things away.

"I managed."

"Why don't I give you the grand tour?" he suggested.

"Sure"

Alan kicked himself for suggesting a grand tour, but Abby's visit had taken him totally off guard.

During the tour, Abby found herself liking the sound of Alan's voice.

"...and this is the solarium. Charlie loves to spend hours here, doing his work."

"It's nice"

Afterwards, Alan nervously began dinner as Abby kept him company.

"So..how did you learn to cook?"

"When Charlie was thirteen, he went to Princeton with his mother, so I needed to learn. But then I found myself enjoying it." Alan found it hard to focus on the task at hand.

"Need help with something?"

"No" Alan did some dicing.

Just then, Charlie came into the kitchen to say hi to Alan, but was surprised to see a goth woman.

"Charlie, th-this isAbby" Alan said to his son's puzzled face with some embarrasment.

"Oh..."

"Hi!" Abby shook his hand.

"Hi!" Charlie said back, and found it surreal that a goth was in the kitchen with his father

"She's ah..joining us for dinner" Alan informed him, awkwardly.

TBC
End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
Also, for most of the story, they are chatting online.
Chapter's 7-9 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
In this crossover with Numb3rs, Abby is now in L.A and gets to know Alan and Charlie over dinner. What of Don? how will he react?
"Oh" Charlie commented.

"Do you know if Don is coming?" Alan asked with concern. He knew that Don would be quite suspicious of Abby.

"Maybe" Charlie said, knowing that his brother would, after finding out about their father's guest.

"Get me the lettuce would you?" Alan requested.

"Sure" Charlie got it from the fridge and put it on the kitchen counter.

."It's cool that you can cook."Abby commented to Alan. "Josh can only make deserts. Sometimes he likes to serve them on my.."

"Abby!" Alan interupted her and gave hera stern look, as he spilled something.

Stifling a laugh, Charlie discretly went to the living room, and called Don.

"Eppes"the agent answered his phone.

"Don, it's me"

"What is it Charlie?" .

"You know that woman dad's always playing scrabble with?"

"What about her?" Don asked impatiently and rolled his eyes.

"She's here!"

"I'm not in the mood for practical jokes, Charlie." Don's day had been hard andstressful.

"I'm not kidding."

"I've gotta go" Don curtly hung up the phone, still not believing his brother.

"Don't say I didn't warn you" Charlie muttered when he heard the dialtone.

9999

"This is delicious!" Abby complimented Alan at dinner. She enjoyed his company.

'Thanks" He felt that the meal was not as good as it could have been.

"Have you been to Los Angeles?" Charlie asked, noticing that the chicken tasted salty.

"Yeah. I drove cross country with a friend once." Part of Abby felt nervous.

"Do you have a place to stay the night?" Alan asked.

"Yeah." She knew how uncomfortable expecting to stay at the house would make Alan.

"Okay" Alan hid his relief.

"You know, on the plane a couple had sex in one of the bathrooms" she commented out of the blue.. "I heard them when I tried to go."

"Abby!" Alan choked on his food He then took a deep breath, tried to hide his fluster and continued with his most serious face. "We don't make it a habit to discuss such topics at the dinner table."

Charlie snickered and wished that Don was there. The look on his elder brother's face would have been priceless. Abby found Charlie to be good looking and smiled at his snicker.

"There are ah so many other things we can talk about." Alan continued and sipped his glass of wine.

"Like, what are we gonna do tonight after dinner?" Abby finished for him.

"What would you like to do?" Alan asked.

" How about bowling?" Abby suggested.

"Okay" Alan assented, being the good host."Do you wanna come with us, Charlie?"

"Sure" Abby seemed like a fun person to Charlie.

"Then it's settled" Abby said, as she sipped some more wine. "This stuff is good. Could you pour me more?"

"Sure" Alan did so.

They went to the bowling alley in Alan's car, after dinner and looking up the location of a nearby bowling alley. Charlie sat in the back seat, while Alan and Abby sat in the front. Quickly, she turned found a station with music she liked. To Alan, it sounded like noise, so he lowered the volume.

"Hey!" Abby protested.

"I need to focus on my driving"

8888

Quickly, Charlie figured out the physics behind the game and was in the lead, with Abby in second place.

"Charlie's really kicking our asses!" Abby observed.

"He sure is!" Alan agreed.

"At least I'm kicking yours" she teased.The bowling shoes mismatched with the clothes she wore.

"Not for Long!" he warned her. Both sighed when Charlie got yet another strike.

Soon, it was Alan's turn. Carefully, he threw the ball, but only knocked down half of the pins.

"You were saying?" she snorted. "Watch and learn" Abby grabbed a red ball, rolled, but got only three pins.

"I'm learning all right!" Alan counter snorted as a chagrined Abby joined him at the sitting area.

"Dad?" Don greeted his father with surprise. He just happened to be finished with interviewing an employee at that very bowling alley, when he saw Alan.

"Don? You're doing some work here?" Alan asked nervously and lamely. He noticed that the agent was still in a suit.

" You could say that." Don recognized Abby from the picture his father had shown them and he turned to her."You must be Abby"

"and you must be Don!" She put out her hand, as a suspicious Don took it. He kicked himself for not believing Charlie. His F.B.I senses were on high alert. For all he knew she could be some psychopath or a con artist.

Charlie saw Don just after he made a strike. Quickly, he joined what he knew was going to be a very entertaining show.

"You didn't tell me Abby was coming out to L.A." Don commented to his father.

"It was a surprise visit" She told Don, who found it interesting that she came just when Edna was out of town.

"How long are you going to be in Los Angeles?" Don continued his questioning.

"A few days because..."Abby paused for a moment "We're engaged!" She really wanted to get Don's goat and make fun of his paranoia.

"That's right!" Alan decided to play along. He didn't like the tone Don was using with Abby.

"I'm gonna be the best man" Charlie said.

All the color drained out of Don's face.

"Don, we're kidding" Alan quickly told his eldest as he gave Abby a look that said 'let's stop'. He hadn't expected such a strong reaction from Don.

"We were just pulling your leg, man" Charlie put a hand on his brother's shoulder.

Just then, David joined them. He heartily greeted Alan and Charlie, who introduced Abby to him.

"David, this is Abby. She's an online friend of dad's."

"Hi!" David said, as he realized why Don seemed upset.

Quickly, Abby went to get a small paper cup from one of the food stands and wrapped it in a napkin.

"Here" she gave it to Don with a sigh and much annoyance. "It's a paper cup with my fingerprints. Have someone run it through."

"I sure will" Don got it from her. "Well, David and I have things to do." Soon, both agents were gone.

"I am very sorry about my son's behavior" Alan said.

"I know that he didn't learn it from you" she replied gently.

"Let's ah continue with the game." Alan suggested.

The game ended with Charlie winning, and Abby getting second place.

9999999999

Back at the house, Charlie excused himself to prepare for the next day's classes, leaving Abby and Alan to talk in the living room.

"This is so surreal, actually getting to see you face to face." she said.

"It is." Alan sat in his easy chair.

"I had so much fun tonight" Abby told him.

"So did I, despite everything" Alan added the last part as a euphemism to Don's behavior. After the initial shock of her surprise visit had worn off somewhat, he had begun to enjoy himself.

"Like the fact that I kicked your ass?" she teased.

"But not by much." he reminded her.

"What do you have in store for me tomorrow?" she got comfortable in her chair.

"It's up to you. You're the guest"

"How about golf?" Abby had played a few times.

"Really?" his eyes lit up.

"Sure."

"You can borrow Charlie's clubs."

"It's a...deal" she smiled.

999999999

Abby returned to the house the next morning in black golf clothes with a black parasol in her hand.

TBC
End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
Also, for most of the story, they are chatting online.
Chapters 10-15 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
Abby is in L.A, visiting Alan. How do a goth and a retired city planner hang out together?
"You're wearing that?" Alan asked with disbelief when he opened the door for her. He didn't even know that one could get golf clothes in black.

"Yeah, why not?" she sat down at the table, where Alan had served scrambled eggs.

"You're going to roast in those clothes!" he told her.

"Hey Abby!" Charlie did a double take when he saw her outfit as he entered the dining room. "The forecast didn't say anything about rain" He noticed the parasol, which he mistook for an umbrella.

"It's to protect myself from the sun"

"Oh" Charlie said with a puzzled face.

99999

"Not bad"Abby told him as he tried for the first hole, and got the ball at a decent distance.

"Could you hold this?" Abby handed Alan her open parasol "Over my head."

Alan rolled his eyes subtly and complied. The ball didn't land even half as far as Alan's had.

At the third hole, Abby lost her ball.

"Let's just drop another one."

"It's like they magically disapear into some dimension" Abby sighed as she made one more effort to find it.

"Tell me about it" Alan assented.

Soon, she dropped another ball and Alan gave her some more tips on her swing.

Abby took a swing at the new ball and got it to go a good distance.

"That's better." he said.

On the seventh hole, they were delayed by a three men ahead of them, who quarreled.

"The one on the right looks kinda cute" Abby commented, as she held her parasol.

"They seem to be arguing about their scores" Alan noticed that one of them was waving a score card.

Suddenly, Abby got closer and yelled at them "Get a room!"

The three men glared at her.

"Abby!" Alan sighed.

"I wanted to yank their chains." she smiled wickedly.

Alan shook his head.

9999

After the game, they had lunch at Alan's favorite Mexican restaurant, 'Arco Iris'.

"The tortilla chips are delicious!" she said.

"They're freshly made!" Alan told her "It's none of that store bought stuff."

"Everything looks yummy" Abby read the menu.

"Can I start you with a drink?" a kindly waitress offered.

"I'll have a bohemia" Alan said.

"I'll have a margarita."

"You're gonna love the food" Alan said when the waitress left.

"I'm thinking of getting the green chilaquiles." she told him. Chilachiles basically consisted of the same ingrediants as enchiladas, but the fried tortillas, cheese,and meat were just mixed into the sauce.

"I just might get the same."

"Are you a regular here?"

"I come with my sons"

"Let me read your palm" she suggested suddenly.

You can't tell anything about a person based on the lines in their palms."Alan scoffed.

Just then, their drinks came. Alan thanked the waitress.

"You're no fun" She pouted.

Alan shrugged and drank some of his beer.

"Did I mention that I'm thinking about taking knife throwing lessons?" she decided to change the subject.

"You're serious?" Alan said with surprise.

"I rented this awesome French movie called Girl on a Bridge. See, this girl tries to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge, but a knife thrower saves her and asks her to be his assistant.. They like tour and stuff. There's this scene where she asks him to do the knife throwing in a train and it's so erotic..."

"Erotic?" Alan was puzzled and skeptical."I'd be scared to death if someone were throwing knives at me"

"I can see how it can be erotic, under the right circumstances..." Abby said.

"Abby, let's try to have a pleasant conversation" Alan didn't want the woman to have one of her TMI moments.

"What do you want to talk about?" she asked.

Before Alan could answer, the waitress returned and they gave her their orders.

"I'd like it extra spicy, with a side of sour cream" Abby added.

The waitress excused herself, and left.

"A friend of mine dated a guy with a sour cream fetish." she commented to him.

"Abby!"

"Don't you have any?" she asked with a smile.

"I've got a fetish for being ignorant about other people's fetishes." Alan told her dryly.

"Whatever works!" she joked.

Alan gave her a look, and Abby decided to ask "What was your wife like?"

"Very generous. ." he said. "And sharper than a tack. I could never get anything past her." Alan smiled.

"How did you guys meet?"

"At work. In the lunch line."

The waitress came by to serve them more chips and salsa.

"That's how I met an ex boyfriend of mine, at a job I had during college" Abby commented.

"She was a wonderful mother to the boys" Alan continued. "They adored her, especially Charlie"

Just then, the waitress returned with their food and served it to them.

"That's what I call spicy!" Abby's pupils widened, when she tasted her chilaquiles." So Charlie was close to his mother?"

"yeah"

"Alan?" Art called from across the room as he came in. Shorter than Alan, the two had been friends since college.

"Art!" Alan began to feel self conscious as his friend walked up to the booth. "This is Abby, my friend from the scrabble site."

"Hi!" Abby put out her hand. Art discretly raised an eyebrow at Alan. After all, he noticed that the goth had visited just when Edna was out of town.

"How long are you in L.A for?" Art asked.

"A few days" she told him.

"Alan, since you're here, I'd like discuss our mutual fund" He said. Alan knew that it was his way of wanting to talk about Abby.

Sighing inwardly, Alan said. "Okay. Please excuse us, Abby." So, both men went to the other side of the restaurant.

"What's going on?" Art asked. "I thought you had a great thing going with Edna."

"Abby's just a friend!" Alan groaned. "You know me better than that!"

"She comes to visit when Edna's outta town" Art pointed out.

Not wanting to admit that Art was right about the timing.Alan got defensive, "I didn't know she was coming!"

"Interesting" Art said. Most, if not all, of his suspicions were on Abby.

"Art, Abby is a very nice woman." Alan read his friend's tone. "You're starting to sound like Don"

"He's met Abby?"

"And she gave him a paper cup with her fingerprints" Alan hoped that this would alliaviate Art's distrust.

"It could just mean she hasn't been caught" Art snorted.

"Why don't you just join us?You can meet Abby for yourself." Alan suggested.

"Fine" Art agreed out of concern for his friend. He wondered if Edna knew about Abby's visit. He doubted it.

Soon, the two men went to the booth.

"You should order the chilaquiles. They are divine!" Abby pointed to her plate.

Alan took some more bites out of his food.

"Where did you come from?" Art asked.

" Maryland"

"Alan tells me that you work for NCIS" Art commented.

"In forensics"

"Oh" Art didn't believe it. She didn't seem the type to him. He got the attention of a waitress, and ordered a burrito.

"Alan and I went golfing today" she told him.

"Really?" Art saw this as a way for Abby to gain Alan's friendship. Goths, as far as he knew didn't go golfing

"Yeah." Abby added more sour cream to her dish.

"You like to golf?" The disbelief could be heard in Art's voice.

"It's a pretty good game."

"What else have you guys done, since you've been here?"

"We joined the cult of the Dark Temptress" Abby knew that Art did not trust her.

"I was made cantor" Alan decided to join in.

"And I'm the new high priestess"

"What?"

"We're just pulling your leg, Art" Alan smirked.

"Very funny" Art rolled his eyes.

At that moment, Art's burrito came, drowned in green sauce. Abby asked for the bill. Alan insisted on paying for her food, but she got her way and paid for her and Alan's meal.

"Let's go win converts for the Dark Temptress" she got up and motioned for Alan to follow her. Art had annoyed her, and she wanted to do something fun.

"Yeah let's" Alan smirked, then said goodbye to Art.

"I'm sorry about Art" Alan said at the parking lot. "He's usually a gentleman"

"No problem" she got into the car as soon as Alan unlocked it. "Let's watch a foreign film!"

"Okay..." Alan knew of a place and wanted to be a good host.

Being the gentleman that he was, Alan allowed Abby to choose the movie, and paid for the tickets, despite her protest.

"Alan! I wanna pay!"

"You paid for lunch, it's only fair!" he had argued.

They saw a French film, where two strangers met every week at a cafe to discuss their most intimate problems.

"God damn it! Have sex already!" Abby said a little too loudly, when the sextual tension, double entendres, and sexual innuendo became too much.

"Abby!" Alan shook his head and felt embarrassed at the laughter from those who had heard her.

"As if the sexual tension wasn't getting to you too!" Abby snorted.

After the movie, they went to the house, only to find that Larry and Charlie were working on something.

"You must be Abby" Larry said.

"Yeah"

"Abby, this is Larry, a friend of mine."

"You're the physicist" Abby put out her hand.

"That's me" Larry took it. While used to goths, hefound it odd that Alan would be friends with one. "Charles told me you two went golfing"

"Yeah. Then we had lunch and saw this movie with so much sexual tension that I wanted to scream!"

"Actually you kinda did" Alan sighed at the memory while Charlie laughed.

"Oh yeah" she shrugged with a smile. "What are you guys working on?"

"Multi dimensional theory" Charlie said.

Larry went into a long, detailed lecture about what it entailed. Before they knew it, it was time for Alan to make dinner. Abby went to the kitchen to keep him company.


"What's on the menu?" Abby asked.

"meatloaf " he told her, while starting to take out ingrediants.

"Sounds good"

"You know, Abby, today's movie should have taught you a lesson" Alan took out the meat and put it in a bowl.

"What lesson?"

"That less can be more" Alan remembered how the two protagonists didn't consumate their relationship in the movie, yet the screen was filled with sexual energy.

With a smirk, Abby got out two melons from the refridgerator.

"So, you'd be more turned on if a woman where to..."

"Abby! Stop right there!" Alan admonished her"Put those melons in the fridge"

"whatever rocks your boat!" Abby teased with a large smile.

Alan sighed. Abby had turned what he said into a double entendre.

"Where did you want the melons?"Abby asked the question with false innocence, as she made her own double entendre.

"I want the melons in the bottom drawer, where I keep the fruit" he told her.

Just then, Charlie came into the kitchen to get a bottle of water.

"What do you think of my melons Charlie?" she asked. Abby still had the fruit in her hands.

"I um don't eat fruit" he said uncomfortably. Then,Charlie quickly left the kitchen before he could put his foot in it.

"Very mature!" Alan said sarcastically.

"Would you rather I ask you about these?" she teased while holding up the melons.

"Let's just forget about the melons okay?" Alan's face betrayed his annoyance. He took her question as an example of Abby being Abby, yet it bothered him."Let's talk about something else"

"Like why you put so much pepper on the meat loaf? "Abby raised an eyebrow.A section of it looked black and grey.

"I'll um..scrape it off" Alan sheepishly got a knife.
Alan scrapped off the excess pepper, and finished preparing the meatloaf, before putting the dish in the oven. Then he started to make the sides. Abby peeled the potatos for him.

Meanwhile, Charlie and Larry continued their work.

"It's interesting" Larry mused.

"What?"

"Her arrival coincided with Edna's absence" He put a finger on his mouth.

"So?"

"I'm just saying..." Larry did a half shrug.

"Abby gave Don a paper cup with her fingerprints." Charlie reminded him, and tried to appeal to his friend's logical side."He would have come if something had come up"

"I'm not, necessarily, refering to criminal intentions."

Not liking where Larry was going with his line of thinking,Charlie quickly changed the subject."Let's focus on these equations"

Eventually, it was dinnertime.

"Charles tells me that you met Alan online" Larry commented as he made his usual twitchy gestures. "On a scrabble website"

"Yeah." Abby said. She found his voice to be a little high pitched for a man's. "Alan's a great player"

"So how did you..decide to come to Los Angeles?" Larry asked.

"I twisted my boss' arm for some time off and here I am"

"I see" Larry noticed how Abby sidestepped his question.

"Could you pass me me the peas, Charlie?" Abby requested.

"Sure"

"You know, Larry I was thinking about your idea of different dimensions and how awesome it would be to live in a dimension of pure chocolate!"

"That would be a delight" Larry loved chocolate as well.

"The river would be made from milk chocolate, while the grass would have a more bitter chocolate taste to them..." Abby got a dreamy look in her eye.

"Where would the chocolate ice cream be?" Alan teased.

"In functioning chocolate freezers" Abby said. " Little chocolate mousse cakes would grow on trees."

777

After dinner, Larry and Charlie continued their work, while Alan and Abby watched T.V.

"Could we watch House?" Abby asked. "It's one of my favorite shows" The show was about a doctor named House, who, with his team work with patients, whose medical conditions can not be figured out. Most of the episodes ended up with the patient having a rare illness.

"Sure."

Abby changed the channel.

"That House is really something." Alan sighed after a bit. "I'd hate to have him as a doctor."Having had a loved one die from a serious, long term illness, House's way with patients bothered him.

"Why does Foreman always assume that the patient has an STD?" Abby wondered aloud, then said to the television a few minutes later. "Come on Cameron! House doesn't want you! Get over it!" She found House to be sexy, but felt that Cameron, a member of his team, who had a crush on the man,to be ill suited for him.

"I can't believe he said that to the patient!" Alan exclaimed in disbelief.

"He's a bastard kinda like Gibbs" Abby shrugged.

TBC
End Notes:
Chapters 16-17 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
In this crossover with Numb3rs, Alan and Abby form an online friendship.

Chapters 16-17(aka Part 5): Abby gets Alan to try a new thing or two as her visit to L.A continues on. Charlie, of course is there for the ride!
"I had this dream about House..." Abby continued during the commercials

"Abby..."

"Not that kinda dream...!"Abby rolled her eyes. "At that time anyway."

Alan sighed.

"See, Gibbs brings him into interrogation because a patient, who was a marine, died."

"Okay..." Alan encouraged her.

"They get into this huge pissing contest.Gibbs calls House a quack..." Abby continued "Then my alarm rang and I woke up."

The commercials ended and the show continued.

"Do you have any popcorn?" Abby asked

"yeah " Alan got up. "I'll make some for you" He prided himself on being a good host.

"Thanks!"

"Would you two like some popcorn?" He asked Larry and Charlie, who were in the dining room, on his way to the kitchen.

"No we're fine" Charlie said.

Before she knew it, Alan handed her a bowl of popcorn. After the show, Abby channel surfed.

"Your making me dizzy" he told her.

"There's nothing good to watch" Abby complained.

Sometime later, she left for her hotel and Alan called Edna as he did the night before. Abby was not mentioned. Alan knew Edna was stressed out about her sister.

99999999999999

Abby joined Charlie and Alan for Breakfast.

"What's cooking?" she asked as she came in.

"Pancakes" Charlie told her while setting the table.

When Alan had made a good amount of Pancakes, he served them in a large platter.

"What would you like to do today?" he asked Abby, then added, tongue in cheek."What about the beach?We all know how you love to sunbath."

Charlie chuckled.

"Oh wait! I've been meaning to give you something!" Abby said and ran to her rental car. Then, she came back with a gift bag, giving it to Alan.

"Abby! You shouldn't have!" Alan opened it and saw that she had gotten him a cap and a t-shirt that said NCIS. "Thanks!"

"Put on the shirt and cap!" she suggested.

"Okay." Alan went to go change his shirt. Soon he returned."The shirt fits perfectly!"

"The cap suits you" Abby told him. "Now let's go rollarblade!"

"Rollarblade?" Alan repeated.

"I got you a pair yesterday in the morning" Abby told him. "You're an eight and a half wide, right?"

"Yeah." Alan said in surprise. "How did you..."

"I've got my ways" Abby smiled. "If you don't know how, I'll show you"

"Why don't I join you two?" Charlie's grin stretched across his face.

"Don't you um...have classes to teach?" Alan said sheepishly. He didn't want to try it, but Abby had bought him the skates and the last thing he wanted was for Charlie to be a spectator.

"I'll just call my T.A" Charlie said. He would not miss Alan's lesson for the world. "Give me a sec"

Soon, everyone was in the Alan's car.

"Why don't we uh...go to Santa Monica?" Alan suggested lamely. He knew that Abby had bought the skates out of spontaneity. Besides, Art had raved about the sport and Alan had done some rollar skating back in the day.

Abby, who sat in front, turned on the radio and increased the volume when she heard her favorite kind of music. Alan lowered it.

"Hey!" Abby complained, then moaned to Charlie "We should've brought your bike, man!"

"You're right!" Charlie sighed as he knew that one person could have biked, while the other allowed themselves to be pulled by the bicycle.

Once in Santa Monica, it took a while to find parking. Then, they got out of the car to put on the gear and skates. At first, Alan hung on to the car for dear life.

"Why don't you hold on to me and Charlie?" Abby suggested.

"I'll try" Awkardly, he balanced himself using the two of them. He now knew what a toddler felt like. Abby gave Charlie a look to be sharp. She knew that , broken bones were a more serious problem for people Alan's age. Charlie and Abby then gave Alan some tips and lead him around.

"Isn't that your father?" a young agent,named Linda,asked Don a few feet away.She had seen Alan during some of his many visits up to the office. The trio hadn't noticed them with Alan struggling to keep his balance while Abby and Charlie worried about preventing a fall.

"Yeah..." Don said with mixed feelings. He was partly amused at the sight of his father trying to rollarblade, but despite the fact that Abby's story had checked out, he still didn't like her. Soon, Don saw Abby wave at him. Suddenly, Alan tripped and fell.


TBC
End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
Also, for most of the story, they are chatting online.
Chapters 18-24 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
In this crossover with Numb3rs, Alan and Abby form an online friendship.

Part 6(aka chapters 18-24)The rollarblading mishap continues, and the two friends take a trip.
"Dad!" Don, along with Linda,ran to help his father.

"Alan!" Abby blamed herself for not being more careful. Thankfully, the only injury was a bruised ego, as Alan fell on dirt and grass rather than concrete. Alan got up again with Abby, Charlie, Linda and Don's help.

"This is a bit more tricky than rollar skating." Alan commented.

"Let's take dad to the bench" Don ordered, as he took charge of the situation. He asked Alan "Are you sure you're not hurt?"

"I'm fine!" Alan gingerly sat on it . Everyone sighed with relief.

"Could you two have been any more careless?" Don glared at Abby and Charlie. The sight of Alan on the ground had unnerved him.

"It's not their fault, Don." Alan tried to calm his eldest. "Accidents happen" .

"Charlie, get me dad's shoes." Don ordered. "We need to get him to the doctor"

"I'm fine!"

"We need to make sure!" Don insisted.

"I'm not going to the doctor!" Alan put his foot down.

"Nothing hurts when you move it?" Abby asked with concern.

"Not really"

"Good thing I got you the gear" Abby said.

Don sighed. He interpreted Alans' going rollarblading as a way to seem youthful to Abby. Why else would he do it?

"You're not twenty years old, dad!" the agent told his father. "You should go to the doctor."

Not liking the tone Don was taking with him, Alan retorted."And you're not five!"

"Alan, one. Don, zero" Abby thought to herself.

It took some time for Alan to convince Don that he was not injured. After that, the agent had to go.

"Talk about a type A" Abby muttered under her breathas she sat next to Alan.

"Ever since his mother died, he's taken it upon himself to take care of me." Alan explained, though he was still annoyed with his older son. "Let's continue with the lesson"

After some more practice, Abby had an idea."Let's take an ice cream break!"

"Okay!" Alan agreed if only to rest. Since he was still a beginner, everyone took off the gear, put on their regular shoes beforefindinga place, where the ice cream was made in house. When it came time to pay for the ice cream, Abby and Alan argued over it.

"Alan!" she protested when he reached for his pocket to get his wallet.

"You're my guest!" After some more arguing, Alan won.

"Mmmm!I love chocolate" Abby cooed while she ate her ice cream. "Especially..."

"If its in a bowl!" Alan finished for her while Charlie chuckled.

"That's not what I was gonna say!" Abby protested. "I meant to ..."

"We don't wanna hear it!" Alan got annoyed.

"Fine!" Abby shrugged and continued her ice cream.

Afterwards, the lesson continued. Then, it was time for lunch.

"Where would you like to go, Abby?" Alan asked when they had put away their gear in the trunk and were in the car.

"I feel like Thai" she told him.

"I know a good place" Alan said. So they went.

Soon, they gave the waiter their orders and he walked away. Alan noticed Abby looking at the waiter's behind..

"Got a good view , Abby?" he thought to himself.

"That waiter is kinda cute!" Abby said.

"Little young for you isn't he?" Alan commented without thinking and figuring at at most, said waiter was in his late teens.

"So you think age is a big deal?"

"I think the age of consent laws are a big deal" Alan said wryly.

"What if both people are older than the age of consent?" Abby asked.

"Age matters." he told her.

"I disagree" Abby said, and didn't like what she heard. "For me age is just a number."

Charlie tried not to remember what Larry had said. He was grateful, when the waiter returned.

"Are you ready to order?"

"I think that I'll get the pad thai." Abby told him with a flirtatious smile.

"I'll have the red curry" Charlie said.

" I think I'll have the same thing." Alan said. When the waiter left, he continued. "Age does matter. How could you, for example, relate to a twenty year old, given your intelligence, and life experiance?"

"I could think of a few ways" Abby replied with her mischevious smile.

"That's not quite what I meant" Alan sighed, and wondered why they were getting so argumentative.


"So, likewise,you would not find the chick at the register to be 'suitable'?" Abby asked.

"Not for me, but maybe for Don or Charlie"

"But what if she and you had more in common and could connect better?"

"That would be impossible" Alan countered."There would be too much of a gap in terms of experiance, worldview..."

"I still think age is just a number" Abby interupted him.

They were interupted when Charlie's cell phone rang. It was Don.

"How's dad?" the agent asked.

"Fine. He and Abby are arguing about age differences."

"Really?" This peaked Don's interested.

"Abby says that age is just a number, but Dad disagrees."

"Oh..." this did not sit well with the agent.

"Let me talk to your brother!" Alan got the cell phone from Charlie, then went to the other side of the restaurant. As soon as he was out of Charlie and Abby's hearing range, the scolding began. "Is this the way your mother and I raised you?"

Don's behavior towards Abby at the bowling Alley and in Santa Monica had really bothered Alan.

"If you mean to take care of family, then it is" Don told him simply.

"You treated her like a criminal!"Alan's protective side came out.

"It's just that I've seen too many cases involving internet pen pals..." Don tried to explain.

"That doesn't give you the right to interogate her!" Alan snapped. He noticed Abby and Charlie looking at him. His facial gestures had made his annoyance obvious. "We'll talk about this later. Bye." With that he hung up.

88888

"What would you like to do next?" Alan asked as they all ate their meals.

"I figured that we could hang out at your place after dinner" Abby said.

"Sounds like a plan" Alan said.

8888

A while after, they returned to the house, Charlie, in the dining room, corrected tests, that he had promised to return the next day. Abby and Alan sat in the living room, drank some wine, and talked.

"Did you argue with Don?" Abby asked

"I took him to task for the way he treated you." Alan told her.

"I don't want to cause problems between you guys" Abby said. While she thought Don was a jerk, Abby realized that he and Charlie meant the world to Alan.

"Don't worry about it." Alan shrugged. He sat in his easy chair, while Abby lay down o the couch and kicked off her shoes.

"So all the woman you've dated have been around your age?"

"The woman with the two ducks was in her late forties." Alan said as he drank some more wine. "My rule is not to date anyone more than fifteen years younger."

"I dated a professor in college and he was sixty five"

"Really?" Alan was shocked. That was a few years older than himself. Plus he remembered how seriously Charlie took the rules against student/professor involvment. Then,Alan started to think that maybehe shouldn't be too shocked. This was a woman who had sex in closets and with ice cream involved.

"He was divorced and had the same attitude you did about age differences" she said."

."I remember having a crush on my English literature professor in College" Alan revealed. "She had just gotten her PhD when I had her class, and had a wonderful sense of humor. I'd go to her office hours, on the pretext of asking questions about the lecture, or the readings.

"I so used to do that!" Abby said. "Did you ever try the 'I'm stuck on the essay trick'?"

"More times than even Charlie could calculate" Alan chuckled and sipped the wine. Right after he said that, Charlie came into the living room to get one of his books, and noticed thatAbby lay on the couch.

"Fill'er up!" Abby held out her glass. She felt too lazy to sit up.

"Uh...sure"

"Abby, you need to be sober enough to drive home." Alan warned.

"And Charlie doesn't have a license" Abby remembered with a sigh.

"Let's watch T.V" Alan suggested.

Abby grabbed the remote and turned on the T.V.After some channel surfing,she squealed "Oh my God! I love this movie!" Duck Soup, a Marx brothers film, was playing.

"So do I!" Alan said. Thankfully, it had only started a couple of minutes ago.

"Groucho gets the best lines!" Abby said after a bit.

"He had insulting down to an art" Alan agreed as he laughed at what Groucho's character said in the movie.

"This moviei s also a very brilliant satire on politics" Abby said.

"Yeah ." Alan agreed.

After the movie, Abby returned to her hotel.

999999

Parasol in hand, Abby joined Charlie and Alan for breakfast. When Abby got into the dining room,she sang

"Hail! Hail! Freedonia! Long live Freedonia..."

"and Rufus T. Firefly!" Alan quipped with a laugh. They were exchanging references from the movie they saw last night.

"I was thinking, maybe we could go to Universal Studios?"

"Sure!" Alan agreed. he hadn't gone since the boys were young, but wanted to be a good host.

And so they went.

099882342

At the ticket booth, they argued about who would pay for the tickets. Alan won.

At first, they walked around, then Abby saw a place, where one could take pictures that were in black and white and one wear clothes from the 1800s.

"Let's do it!" she suggested.Abby did some pictures of herself. Of course, one of them was ofher in a black dress. "Why don't you do one?"

"It's okay..." Alan shook his head. The idea of posing with uncomfortable,old fashioned clothes did not appeal to him.

"Come on! She picked out a suit "This woud look great on you!"

"We've got a long day ahead of us" Alan said. "Let's get going."

"You're no fun!" she pouted. Once they got out, Abby handed him a picture. Alan took it, so as not to be rude, and made a mental note to hide it well, especially if Edna was coming to the house. However he found himself looking at it for more than a second.

Soon, they were in the famous Backlot tour.

"What a lame choke!" Abby blurted at one point.

"Abby!"

Afterwards, they lined up to go on a Back to the Future themed simulator ride.

When they had gotten in pretty much most of the rides and attractions, Abby went to buy some souvenirs for herself and her friends.

"Gibbs is gonna love this!" Abby told Alan as she picked up a large coffee thermos that had 'Universal Studios 'Universal Studios Hollywood' on it.



Just as they were about to leave, Abby saw a store that piqued her interest.

"This shirt is sooo you!" she held it up. The desighn consisted of a couple of skulls.

"Maybe in one of Larry's alternate dimensions."

99999

Sometime later, they left the park and had dinner.

"You seem quiet Alan" Abby commented as they waited for a table.

"It's just that uh...I remember taking Margaret and the boys here once for her birthday." he said quietly.

"Really?" she knew when it was better to listen.

"That was like uh a few years ago. Don was living in Albuquerque, but came down for the weekend." He explained. "She spent her next birthday in the operating room." The pain and anguish came back to him in droves.

"You still miss her, don't you?" she asked him softly. and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Every day." he whispered.

At that moment, a waiter led them to their table.

"I'm sorry" Alan felt embarassed. "I didn't mean to..."

"You were married for a long time, Alan. It's only natural" Abby said. Alan ordered wine when their waiter returned, as did Abby.

"Look at them" Alan wistfully started and pointed to an elderly couple after two glasses of wine. "They're getting to spend their golden years with each other."

"For all you know, they could each be married to other people." Abby said. "Things aren't always what they seem."


Alan?" Phil, a friend of Alan's asked as he approached their table. He was the host of the book club Alan went to and the two men were friends.

Remembering Art's reaction,Alan nervously greeted him."Phil! How are ya? Did you come with Lily?" She was Phil's wife. They had three children: two daughters and a son.

"Actually, Greg is here with me. He's at our table" Phil thought that the goth and Alan looked like they were cozy. Little did he know that Alan had been talking about Margaret to Abby just seconds before. Greg was an older brother of Phil's, who had retired to Miami a few years ago and had decided to come out to California to visit.

"Phil, I'd like you to meet, Abby." Alan made the proper introductions."She's a friend I met on a scrabble website. Abby, this is Phil"

"Hi!" Abby shook the man's hand.

"Why don't you come join us?" Alan offered.

"Sure!" Phil agreed. He wanted to know what the situation with Abby was. "We've only gotten water so far. Let me get Greg"

Soon, the two brothersdraggeda smalltable for two close to where Alan and Abby sat.

"Greg, you know Alan" Phil made his own introductions. "And this is Abby, an online friend of Alan's. They met at a scrabble site."

"Hi!" Abby said.

"So how's Edna?" Phil asked.He wanted to make a point. Abby didn't like what Phil seemed to be implying.

"Her sister's is still sick" Alan said.

"So...how do you like L.A so far?" Greg asked the goth.

"It's great. Alan's been a wonderful host"

Given what he had seen, Phil could not help but wonder,what Abby meant by the term 'wondeful host'.

"How long are you planning on staying?" Phil turned to Abby.

" A few days" Abby said.

"What all have you two done?" Greg wondered how a man Alan's age and a much younger goth girl could relate.

"We've gone to a golf course, to Universal Studios, to a movie, andto a tour of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory." She added the last part to pull Phil's leg.

"You mean the one on Wilshire?" Phil decided to hide his annoyance by playing along. Then thought "I've got wine that is older than this woman!"

"That's where the warehouse is" Abby said in a fake voice of exasperation.

"The Factory itself is in the Valley" Alan continued, tongue in cheek. "On Lankershim."

A few minutes later, a waiter came and took their orders.

TBC
End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
Chapters 25-29 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
In this crossover with Numb3rs, Alan Eppes and Abby become online friends.

In part 7(Chapters 25-29), The two friends go to Vegas, only to run into someone familiar, who gets the wrong idea. Will this ruin their trip?
"Actually, there's something Alan hasn't told you." Abby said in her most serious tone.

"Really?" Greg asked.

Phil thought "A-ha! I knew there was something to this!"

"The real reason Alan and I are here is to celebrate.He's coming to Maryland to live with me and we're gonna adopt a Cambodian baby."

Both men choked on their drinks.

"We're just kidding!"Alan said with a snicker.

"Are you sure?" Greg asked.

"Of course!" Alan told him.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" Phil complained.

Abby grinned mischievously.

99999

After the food was eaten and paid for, Phil took Alan aside.

"What the hell is going on?" he demanded.

"Abby's just a friend!" Alan said in exasperation. "You know me better than that!." He felt a sense of déjà vu

"That's not what I saw!"

"Then you've been watching a few too many lifetime movies!" Alan retorted."I'm not one of those men who needs a younger woman"

"But you want her!" Phil snapped. For him, this was rather believable, as recently,one of his other brothers had gotten a much younger mail order bride from the Ukraine about two years after becoming a widower, to everyone's surprise. He wanted to stop Alan from making a huge mistake such as ruining things with Edna.

"Just because that brother of yours got himself a twenty year old..." Alan shook his head.

"Then why did she come when Edna was outta town? Tell me that!"

"Stop acting like an ass, and maybe we'll talk!" Alan snorted and went to the car, where Abby waited for him.

Phil made a sign of talking on the phone. "Hello Pot? This is the Kettle. ..."

9999999999999999

"Let's go rent a movie!" Abby suggested.

"Sure" Alan assented. "I'm really sorry about Phil's behavior"

"I don't blame you" Abby said.

At the Blockbuster's each choose a movie. Abby choose the aforementioned film, Girl ona Bridge, while Alan picked, The Big Sleep,which is a film noir movie about a private eye, that starred Humprey Bogart and Lauren Becall. Thankfully, Abby liked it as well. The rest of the evening was spent in a double feature. Abby thought that it would be funer to watch both movies in one night.


During the first film, Girl on a Bridge, Charlie joined them and even started to talk about the physics behind knife throwing.

"Charlie!" Abby groaned.. "Alan! Make him stop!"

"Let our us enjoy the movie, Charlie." Alan scolded his younger son.

"You relying on subtitles anyway..." the mathematician argued. "So it's not like you need to hear it!"

"Charlie, our guest wants quiet"

"That piano scene rocks !" Abby blurted after a bit. She refered to a part of the movie, where the knife thrower's assistant has sex with someone on a piano, in an awkward postion.

Sometime later, the scene that Abby had told Alan about in the Mexican restaurant came up.

"Here it comes!" Abby squealed.

"Ah!" Charlie exclaimed with a cringe as knife thrower made the first throw in the old train car.

"Goodness!" Alan said after the third throw. The two Eppes men found the scene to be as erotic as watching someone go into a cage full of snakes.

"How could you guys not find that erotic?" Abby shook her head.

After the second movie, The Big Sleep, she returned to her hotel room.

8888888

Abby rang the doorbell at around five in the morning. Fearing that it was someone coming to tell him that Don was injured, or worse, Alan felt as if his heart were leaping into his mouth.

He opened the door only to see Abby, and he began to scold her "Do you know what time it is? You scared me! I thought something had happened to Don!"

"I thought we could take a road trip!"

"Where?"

" Vegas" Abby said with a shrug. "I came now so we could make it a one day thing."

Alan thought about it. It wasn'tgoing tobe an overnight trip and figured that it would be nice to show Abby vegas. It might be her kind of town. "Sure"

"I'll drive!"

After a quick breakfast and some coffee, Alan left a note on the refrigerator and they went in Abby's car.

Before they went on their way officially, Alan had Abby take him to the nearest ATM machine.

"We should've invited Charlie!" Abby sighed one hour into the drive. She just thought of it."He could have done the rain man thing!"

Alan just gave her a look.

They arrived in Vegas in time for lunch.

"Where do you wanna eat?" Abby asked as they drove around the strip. She loved the vibe she got.

"Anywhere is fine." Alan shrugged.

After a delicious buffet at the Bellagio Hotel and Casino, the Abby dragged Alan to an adult toy store.

"Don't they have this kinda stuff in Maryland?" Alan sighed as a couple of middle aged women, who assumed that he and Abby were a couple,gave him dirty looks.

"Not like this!" Abby pointed to a Vegas themed adult board game. "You should get something for you and Edna"

"Uh...it's okay" Alan said politly.

"Do you think that your co-husband would like this?" Abby asked loud enough for the aforementioned women to hear when they were nearby again. She had sensed their dirty looks.

After they got out of the store, the two spent some money on slot machines. They sat next to each other.

After some time in the slots, Abby wanted to enter a Karoake contest with Alan in a bar next to the fivedollar slots section.

"I'm not much of a singer" he told her.

"It'll be fun!" she argued.

"Fine" he said after she badgered him some more. The machine randomly choose for them to sing the song "Sweet Caroline". Among the audience stood David,with his girlfriend, Nina. They both got time off from their jobs to take a getaway trip to Vegas.

"Oh my god!" he exclaimed and did a spit take with his beer when the two went up on the ministage.

"What?"

"That's my boss' dad!" David told her"With some woman he met on the internet.."

"You're putting me on!" Nina couldn't believe it. She found it hard enough to believe that a goth and a much older man were singing together.

"I'm serious!"

When they finished, and got off stage, to Alan's relief, they decided to have a drink. On their way to sit at a table,they saw David and his girlfriend.

"David?"

"Mr. Eppes! How are you?" David asked.

"Great! Uh..." Alan worried that like Phil and Art, David would get the wrong idea and he was right.

"It's good to see you again!" Abby shook David's hand.

"Let me introduce you to Nina" David introduced them. "Nina, this is Alan Eppes and Abby.

The woman shook hands with the two friends and David invited Abby and Alan to join them.

"How long are you guys are in Vegas?" David asked them.

"Just for today" Alan said quickly.

"Did you guys drive here?" Nina asked.

"We started our trip around like six in the morning" Abby said.

"Oh."

"What have you guys been up to?" David asked.

"We had lunch at the Bellagio, went to an adult toy store," she began to Alan's chagrin. "We played with the slot machines for a while, then entered the Kaoroke contest"

David took a large sip of his beer.

Given the look on Alan's face upon seeing the couple, and how he responded to the question regarding the length of his and Abby's stay, David could not help but think that maybe they might elope.

"So do you guys have anything planned?" David asked in an offhand manner.

"We were thinking about doing some shopping" Abby told them.

"Perhaps we could join you?" David offered. He wanted to stay close to Alan.

"Sure!" Abby happily accepted.

Nina didn't object fort hree reasons: Alan was the father of David's boss ,the couple was staying there a week, and she rather liked to shop.

"Could you guys excuse me for sec?" David said as he got up and discretly went somewhere to call Don on his cell.

"Eppes?" Don answered his phone.

"Don, it's me!" David said. "There's been some developments"

"You saw Franks?" Don referred to a missings suspect in an extortion case. "Did you call the Vegas field office?"

"It's nothing to do with work" David assured him. "It's about your dad."

"What?"

"He's here with that woman he met on the internet"

TBC
End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
30-31 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
In this crossover, Abby forms an online friendship with Alan Eppes from Numb3rs.

part 8(Chapters 30-31): Don follows Alan to Vegas; conflicts ensue.
"What?"

"Nina and I were at a casino bar, and we saw them singing with the Karoake machine. When they finished,I invited them to join us, and soon we're all going shopping."

"Good work! Stay close to dad until I get there." Don said and hung up. "I'll keep in touch"

Citing a 'family emergency', Don asked his boss for a couple of days off, which he got. Aside from pulling favors to quickly run her fingerprints, he also had started doing a more through background check after getting her full name from the fingerprint check. Some of what he hadread had disturbed him.Soon after getting the call and time offt he agent went to see Charlie at his office. A part of Don felt paranoid, but he just didn't trust Abby.

"Dad went to Vegas with Abby!" Don told him with worry.

"I know. I read dad's message on the fridge."

"And you didn't tell me?"Don glared at him

"They're going to be back by tonight" Charlie didn't understand why Don was upset.

"Aren't you the least bit worried?" .

"Why would I be?" Charlie had observed that Abby was spontaneous by nature, and so he wasn't surprised when Alan had left a note saying that he and Abby took a trip to Vegas.

"Do what you want!" Don said impatiently. "I'm going to Vegas to see about dad."

99999

As Don drove to LAX, the foursome went to a boutique per Abby's request.

"You should get this shirt! It's awesome" Abby showed one to Alan. "And in your size" She had a good eye for that, though David and Nina thought that she knew Alan's size for other reasons.

"Well..." Alan looked at the shirt and hesitated when he saw that the desighn consisted of skeletons ballroom dancing. As the two friends discussed other shirts, David took Nina aside.

"I called my boss and promised him that I'd stay close to his dad.That's why I asked to join them." he explained in case Nina resented the detour in their plans.

" I'd want someone to call me if they saw my dad with a much younger goth woman in Vegas" Nina nodded. Her father was also a widower.

Eventually, Don was on the plane to Vegas. It had doubled,even tripled the balance on his credit card, but he found it to be more thanworth the cost. As he sat in the plane, he remembered a conversation he had with his mother about a week before she died.

"Donnie" she had resorted to his childhood nickname. "Promise me you'll take care of your father, when I'm gone. He'll need you more than ever"

"I will, mom"

His thoughts were interupted by the pilot announcing that they were approaching Henderson airport.
Don only brought carryon so he didn't have to go to baggage claim. After renting a car, he called David and got the foursome's location. Then, he found them.

"Dad?" Don pretended to be surprised as he greeted his father. Of course, Alan didn't buy it as he remembered David excusing himself at the karoake bar and going aside toanswer a private phone callo on his cell sometime later. He put two and two together."David?"

"How's it goin'?" David greeted his boss. "You remember Nina?"

"You decided to take a vacation?" Alan asked. Don was a bit of a workaholic.

"Hey Don!" Abby said coolly.She figured outDon's real motive as well.

"Yeah, I things are light at the office, so I figured that it was time to take a trip." Don lied.

"And you just happened to run into us" Abby finished, tongue in cheek."What are the odds?"

"You'd have to ask Charlie that" Don shrugged. "What brought you and Abby to Vegas, dad?"

"A car" Abby replied.

Don gave her a look and took it as a sign that they were sidestepping his question.

"Abby wanted to see Vegas, so early this morning we drove down" Alan told him. "We were just shopping with David and Nina."

"Have you gotten anything for Edna?" Don asked.

"I suggested a few things, but Alan didn't think they were appropriate" Abby chimed in while David recalled her 'suggestions' with an inward, stiffled chuckle.

"Could I talk to you for a minute?" Alan asked Don.

"Sure..." The agent tried to remain neutral in his facial expressions, and prepared himself.

Soon, the two Eppes men went aside.

"Why the hell are you really here?" Alan demanded. "David called you didn't he?"

TBC
End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
Chapters 32-35 by D.Lerious
Author's Notes:
In this crossover, with Numbers, Abby and Alan become good friends via the internet.
)
Part 9(aka chapters 32-35), Alan has a stern talk with Don, and the trip to Vegas continuues for the two friends.
"Dad..."

"What would your mother say if she could see you now?"

Don began, realizing that Alan knew the true reason of his visit. "She'd be glad..."

"That you don't trust my judgement?" Alan retorted.

"That I was looking out for you!" Don countered. He felt that what he did was for his father's good.

"Looking out for me?" Alan felt offended and it showed in his facial expression and tone. He found Don's behavior to be patronizing.

"Dad, you wouldn't believe half the stuff..."

"Coming out of your mouth?" Alan crossed his arms.

"Dad..."

"Come on Abby! Let's go!" Alan called his friend. He was rather annoyed at David as well.

"Dad! Wait!" Don exclaimed.

"Don't worry! I don't plan to elope with Abby nor give her my millions!" Alan told him sharply with a glare.

"Dad..."

"Look, I know that your mother asked you to look out for me when she was gone, but this is going too far!" Alan scolded him. Annoyed,he left, with Abby just behind him. After a good distance, Don and David began to follow them.

9999

The two friends went into the car.

"I'm sorry about Don..."

"It's okay" Abby shrugged as sheturned the key. Nothing happened. Shrugging, she turned the key again. Still nothing.

"Let me try it" Alan suggested, so they traded seats and the car still wouldn't start. So, he opened the hood to see what was wrong. After taking a good look, he had a couple of theories and acted on them. After about an hour, Abby suggested

"Let's call AAA"

"It's not necessary." Alan insisted. However, it became apparent after another half hour that whatever was wrong required a mechanic to fix it. They called AAA, who sent a tow truck, which took it to a mechanic who told them that it couldn't be fixed until the next day.


They took a taxi and checked into separate rooms in a hotel not to far from the strip.

"I'd like a room for tonight."Alan said.

"Would you like a double?" The clerk asked, as he saw Abby stand next the Alan.

"No! She's getting her own room!"

Both of them paid for their respective, neighboring rooms with their credit cards. Then, Alan called Charlie, but the professor wasn't home, so he left his youngest a message telling him about the car trouble and the need to stay overnight.

Meanwhile,Don and David waited for them in the latter's rental car. Since neither agent went in, this only confirmed their respective suspicions.

"I knew they were staying for more than a day!" David thought to himself.

In a taxi, the two friendswent to the Venetian for a dinner buffet, and some gambling.

After some time in the slots, Abby decided that she wanted to experiance some nightlife. So, she went to the receptionist and asked about local goth clubs.

"They have the best music and drinks!" he told her heartily andwrote down the address of a place.

"You can do that at home!" Alan, commented when Abby suggested it. He cringed at the thought of having to hear loud, 'so called music'.

"Let's just walk around the strip then?" Abby suggested.

"Sure!"

So, go around the strip they did, with Don and David following them. The latter wondered how late chapels in Vegas opened.

"It's so alive here!" Abby told Alan.

"Sure is. " They stopped walking for a bit to watch a mime.

"I'll pay you a million to spend the night with me!" Abby said in a sultry voice to distract said mime.

"Abby!" Alan protested.

"Fine, you can join us!"Abby told her friend in mock annoyance."But you'll have to pay half!"

Alan shook his head.

They walked a bit more and saw a street performer do a robotesque dance.

"Do you wanna proposition him too?" Alan asked wrly.

"I'm more of a mime girl" Abby told him, tongue in cheek.

Abby took out some kind of guide that she had gotten at the reception area and looked at it, Alan did so as well.

"Let's go to the volcano at the Mirage!" Abby suggested. It erupted on schuedule from seven in the evening until midnight.

"Okay" Alan agreed.

So they went and saw the eruption. Then the two friends went to the mini Eifel tower in the Paris hotel. Afterwards, they walked some more at the strip and talked.

"The strip is pretty cool!" Abby said, then asked"When was the last time you went to Vegas?"

"With Art, his wife,and my wife. It was just after I retired." Alan told her. "He's the one who set me up with that woman who had the pet ducks"

Abby chuckled and just then, the two saw someone singing the beatles song,"I want to hold your hand"in an operatic fashion, while accompanied by a flutist.

"Someone pop my eardrums!" Abby groaned with a gimace.

"This is enough to make John Lennon roll in his grave!" Alan said sardonically.

Meanwhile, Don, at least partly started to calm down. He noticed that the two didn't hold hands,nor do anything that would indicate them being a couple. However, his suspicious, F.B.I side still didn't trust Abby.

Some time passed and Abby decided to go to a place that sold deserts. Alan got a cheese cake, while Abby got a chocolate mouse one.

"This is delicious! Try some!" she said.

"I'm fine..." He loved how his desert had a thick layer of the special frosting used for cheesecakes. Savoring it, Alan joked "If my doctor could see me now!"

With a smile, Abby took a forkful of his desert and said "This cake rules!"

Just then, the pianist of the place started to play Karen Carpenter's "We've Only just Begun. Abby, Don, and David all noticed that Alan stopped eating his cake and seemed somber.

"What's wrong Alan?" Abby worried.

"My wife loved Karen Carpenter" Alan said.

"Really?" Abby asked softly.

"She bought every album and would play it on the big stereo I got for her , one Christmas." Alan remembered. "You know, to this day, Charlie still can't bring himself to listen to Carpenter songs."

"Wanna go outside?" Abby put a light hand on his shoulder, as a friend. This annoyed Don, who thought that she was trying to take advantage of Alans' vulnerability.

"I'll be fine."

"You're very lucky to have found someone like Margaret." Abby said wisely and gently ." Most people don't and end up with the wrong person."

"Like Gibbs?" Alan joked to lighten the mood.

"Yeah" Abby smiled. "It kinda hard to find the right person, when you spend all your free time in a basement"
Thankfully, after a bit, the pianist started to play, "Under my Skin", one of Alan's favorite songs.

"That's better!" he thought.

They finished their deserts, and explored the strip some more.

"Let's go to a bar!" Abby suggested.

"Okay"

They found a place with atmosphere, and good music.

"She is sooo checking you out!" Abby told him in a whisper and pointed to a woman in her eighties with purple hairas they sipped their drinks at a booth. .

"Oh..." Alan shrugged, and noticed some fellow bar patrons staring at them.

Eventually, they went to the hotel via taxi. Once it was seen, by Don that they would stay there the rest of the night, he insisted that David continue his vacation with Nina.

"I'll take it from here" he insisted.

Alan awoke around nine to a knock on the door.

"Delivery for Mr. Eppes!" Abby said with caffeine induced perkiness and two McDonald's bags on her hands.

"Thanks Abby!"

After eating, and finding out that the car was repaired,they were on their way back to Alan's home. It took Don a very short time to figure this out, so he decided to return by plane.

Charlie was home by the time they arrived at the house.

"How was Vegas?" the professor asked tenatively.

"We ran into Don!"Alan said evenly.

"See, we saw David and his girlfriendat some casino bar, after doing some karoake..." Abby started to explained.

"You guys did Karoake?" Charlie asked incredulously, and snickered at the thought of his father doing said activity.

"Anyway, he must have called Don." Abby continued.

"Don came into my office in a panic, telling me that you guys were in Vegas, and that he was gonna go there" Charlie laughed.

"Knowing him, he probably promised your mother that he'd take care of me" Alan said, though he was still annoyed at his eldest.

"I kinda doubt that following you was what she had in mind." Abby commented wisely.

Knowing that Margaret would have given Don a good scolding,Alan nodded in agreement.

"Did Edna call?" Alan asked.

"She left you a message to say that she had to stay another week."

999999

Some days passed, and Abby had to go back to Maryland. Her vacation had ended. Alan and Charlie found themselves missing her company. Abby found herself missing Alan.

"How was Los Angeles, Abby?" Ducky asked Abby during her first morning back..

"Great! Alan was a wonderful host!" Abby said."We went golfing, did some rollarblading, took a trip to Vegas, saw some movies, went to Universal studios,..."

"Sounds like quite a trip!" Ducky laughed.

"The only downside was that one of his sons was a total jerk!" Abby complained. "When we went to Vegas, he followed us there, like I was some criminal or something!"

"He obviously does not know you!" Ducky started to leave for the Morgue.

"Oh! Wait! I got you something" Abby stopped him.

999999999999

Later, she gave Gibbs the coffee the coffee thermos she had gotten him at Universal studios.

"Thanks Abbs!" he told her.

TBC
End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
Chapters 36-37 by D.Lerious
"I am so overwhelmed!" Abby wrote in an email some days after she returned. "Gibbs got a gazillion things for me from the field. Last night, I went to Darkness Personified, ya know that Gothclub I like, and hung out with my good friend Vixen.We had a blast!"

Alan wrote back " Don't you have anyone else at that lab working with you? You seem to be doing the work of a dozen people. Believe me, I know what that's like! I went to see Don, at his office,and had a talk with him about his behavior. His mother and I did not raise him to treat people that way! Right now, Charlie is working on an article for some math journal. As usual, he won the coin toss and I got stuck loading the dish washer."

Abby emailed him the next day, "Maybe you guys could roll dice? Well, I gotta go! Gibbs is coming in with my caffeine fix, and I need to talk to him about some lab results!" She hit the send botton.

"Things must've gone very well in L.A!"the ex marineteased.

"He already has a girlfriend!" she got defensive again.

Eventually, Edna returned.Alan was there to greet her at the airport. They hugged and kissed upon seeing each other.

"I missed you!" she gushed.

"So did I!" Alan kissed her again. "How's your sister?"

"Pretty much recovered."

They had dinner and spent the night at her place.

The next day, Alan wrote "Edna finally returned yesterday! I missed her, but didn't realize how much until we meet at the airport. We're going to see a newly released French film tonight. Anyway, it's about time for me to cook dinner! "

"Ain't post-return-from-long-trip- sex great?" Abby wrote back at eight in the morning her time.. "I was gonna see a movie with Kate last night, but both of us had to work late at the last minute.. Well, looks like Ducky has more stuff for me. See ya later!"

Alan choked on his coffee when he read the first sentence of Abby's email at nine in the morning his time.

"You okay dad?" Charlie asked with concern. He was just about to leave for his morning class.

"It's just Abby being Abby" Alan said in an annoyed voicewhile the mathematician laughed. Charlie discretly read over his father's shoulder and giggled.

"Your mother and I did not raise you to read other people's correspondence!" Alan gave him a look. "Don't you have a class?"

Alan's next email went like this: "Abby! I've told you that there are things I'd rather keep private! Anyway, I'm due at the shelter in about an hour, so I should really hustle. Tell Gibbs not to work you so hard."

Abby told him, via email "You want me to tell Gibbs that? Easier said than done. Today he slapped Tony in the back of the head twice in half an hour! See, we were talking about a case where a petty officer was found dead wearing bondage gear. Tony made some inappropriate comments. Ducky's comig in, so I'll click send!"
---------------------------
A week and a half before Alan's birthday, Abby had an idea. After making the arrangements, she wrote the following to Alan:

" I'm having something delivered next Wednesday for your birthday at six in the evening." she wrote him. Abby had decided to have her present come early because she knew that Alan would have plans with Edna and his sons. "I know it's early, but who doesn't like to get premature presents?Try to have Don, Charlie, and Larry there!" She mentioned Don only because she knew how much he meant to Alan and it would look bad on her part to invite Charlie, but not the agent.

"Abby! You shouldn't have!" Alan protested in his next email. "I'll try to get them all to come!"

"Are you and Larry busy next Wednesday at six?" he asked Charlie over dinner.

"I don't think so why?"

"Abby is having something delivered for my birthday, then and asked that I invite you, Don, and Larry to be present."

"But it isn't until next Saturday." Charlie was puzzled.

"She thought it would be nice to give itearly."

"Larry and I'll be here!" Charlie grinned, and could not wait for Wednesday to come.

Alan called Don the next day at work. Things had settled between them somewhat.

"Eppes?"

"It's me!"

"Hey dad!"

"What are you doing next Wednesday evening?"

"Why?" Don wondered if Alan was going to announce his engagement to Edna.

"Abby is having a present delivered to me then, and asked that I invite you, Charlie and Larry."

"Sure" Don, while he knew, of course, that it wasn't a bomb, he still wanted to be there to see what Abby was up to.

Larry, Charlie,Donand Alan were all at the house at five thirty in the evening of that Wednesday.

"Any idea of what the surprise might be?" Larry asked Alan.

"Nope" the retiree shook his head. "Abby is rather unpredictable."

"I'm sure that it's gonna be great!" Charlie said.

"or shocking" Larry thought to himself. The timing of Abby's visit still gave him cause for thought.

Don rolled his eyes.

Finally, the fateful hour came and the doorbell rang. Alan ran to the door, and saw, through the peephole, that it was a woman in full, formal belly dancing dress, with a CD player in her hand. Her coal black hair went to her waist and she was appropriatly full figured. The dancer's costume was an emerald green with gold plated trimming.

Puzzled, he opened the door.

"Yes?"

"Are you Alan Eppes?" she asked.

"Who are you?" Don asked suspiciously. He had quickly come to the doorway.

"I've been hired to dance for you and maybe teach you." she told the retired city planner.

"Really?" Charlie had come to the doorway as well. He looked forward to seeing her dancing.

"Well, uh..come in." Alan said lamely. Abby never failed to surprise him.

"Come on Don! Help me move this table!" Charlie ordered his brother.

TBC
End Notes:
I've got lots of chapters in this story, so I'll put a bunch at a time together.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5152