Out of the Darkness by darky
Summary: It's a Tiva-oneshot, Ziva has nightmares and Tony tries to comfort her. But what if nightmares turn into reality?
Categories: Gen Characters: Anthony DiNozzo, Ziva David
Genre: Drama
Pairing: None
Warnings: Death story
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 943 Read: 2016 Published: 03/11/2007 Updated: 01/21/2007
Story Notes:
I'm not a native speaker, so feel free to correct my mistakes if you're bothered ;)

1. Out of the Darkness by darky

Out of the Darkness by darky
Author's Notes:
It's a Tiva-oneshot, Ziva has nightmares and Tony tries to comfort her. But what if nightmares turn into reality?
Out of the darkness

It always started the same. Every night. Well, almost.
At first there was only darkness. Real darkness, pitch-black. The kind of darkness in which you can't see your own hand in the very front of your eyes.
And there was silence. Not a calm, reassuring silence, but a dreadful one, which sends shivers down your spine.
Suddenly there was a flashing light, blinding her eyes, coming nearer at high speed.
And a shrill noise that hurt her ears.
She was standing there motionless, unable to step aside, only looking at the approaching light.
You can't say she didn't want to leave, oh hell, how much she wanted to! She just couldn't. It seemed like a cut fuse from her brains to her feet, a broken connection which prevented her from running.
The white light came nearer, faster and faster...
And then it slowed down, as if it wanted to seize every second, knowing that she couldn't escape.
Her dark eyes widened in terror as she felt the icy wind on her bare skin, making her freeze all over her motionless body.
Now it was just about to hit her.
She felt the hit, and saw herself flying through the cold winter air.
She recognized her body lying spread-eagled on the floor, blood trickling from her forehead.
A man, dressed up in black, knelt down beside her. He was this sort of man you wouldn't even notice in the streets unless the moment he would look at you.
Now he opened his thin lips to a broad smile.
"I'm sorry", he said, his facial expression contradicting his words. "You're dead." In this moment his face would turn into a familiar one, a handsome one which she'd recognize forever and for always. He grinned at her.
"My dear sister... Now you've joined me."

"Noooooo!"
"Hey, what's up? Same old nightmare again?"
Ziva looked around, her face white with terror, sweat running down her forehead. She needed a few moment to realize where she was.
The young man beside her watched her worriedly. His short brown hair, which was now uncombed and pointing in each direction, gave him a boyish, innocent look which didn't fit to his green eyes, which were examining the athletic woman carefully.
She panted hard, sitting in an upright position, trying to calm down.
Then she turned her head and looked at Tony.
"Yes", she answered. "Same old story."
"Did you see Ari again?"
She nodded slightly.
"This time it was different, though", she said. "He spoke to me, for the very first time."
She was shaking. Gently the tall man wrapped the bed sheet around her shoulders, rubbing them with his hands.
"It was just a dream, darling."
"I know." She sighed deeply. "But it just... it just seems so real. I could even taste the blood in my tongue. And Ari's voice today – it was like he was only inches away."
Tony hesitated whether to ask her or not about the content of Ari's words. Then he decided for the latter. Through all these years he had got to know this tough woman who was now sitting next to him with her eyes set onto the wall. She would tell him when she thought it was time to.
He yawned widely.
"Try to get some sleep, Ziva. Maybe you should ask Gibbs for a day off, you've been working over-time for weeks now."
"So have you."
"Yeah, I know, but Gibbs needs me."
"He needs me, too!"
"But I'm his best agent!"
"You'd been until I came. But you might be right, I'd really need a day just for myself. For ourselves. Have I ever told you how much I love Washington in winter time?"
But all she got for answer was a snore from beside her. Tony had fallen asleep.
Ziva lied down, covering herself in the sheets and closed her eyes.
She was tired and wanted nothing but sleep, but no... She was afraid to see it all through again. Being haunted by the demons hiding behind every corner, waiting for her to step out onto the undefended battlefield of dreams.

Snowflakes were falling down onto her dark, curly hair, making it shine white in the blinking lights around her. Ziva wasn't much interested in Christmas, she wasn't accustomed to it, but she liked the joyous air all around, the people with their shopping bags and the Christmas trees on the market square.
"Hey, Tony, come on!", she shouted, waving at her boyfriend who was still admiring a replica of a devilish red Ferrari.
"Coming!", he called back, his eyes still focused on the small car behind the window.
He stepped onto the street, the snow melting immediately beneath his soles.
Ziva felt a freeze running down her back. She shivered.
She wanted to yell, but hours seemed to pass until the words left her mouth.
"Tonyyyy!!"
She could hear a loud bang, she saw the body flying through the air like a child's doll, she was blinded by the headlights and the blinking lights of a neon advertisement.
For a few seconds she stood there motionless, only watching, capturing the scene.
A man lying on the ground, another one kneeling beside him, shaking him.
Then she ran.
The stranger beside him shook his head, looking at her with grief and shock.
"I'm sorry."
Ziva hardly felt the asphalt beneath her knees, didn't feel the wet trickling down her spine. Actually she didn't feel anything at all.
Nothing but the warmth of the blood she could taste on her lips, as she kissed him for the last time.
End Notes:
I'm not a native speaker, so feel free to correct my mistakes if you're bothered ;)