Fear of the Dark by strebergeist
Summary: Tony and Gibbs are living together for six years now and their son has grown a lot. But they're like a trouble magnet
Categories: Gibbs/DiNozzo Characters: None
Genre: Alternate Universe, Drama, Established relationship, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Warnings: Dark story, Homophobia, Mpreg
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 17958 Read: 83236 Published: 02/21/2007 Updated: 05/14/2007
Story Notes:
This is a sequel to "the worse the start the better the end". Would be better if you had read it.
Thanks to Eva for the help and to Nadine for pushing
Not betaed, all mistakes are mine

1. Fear of the Dark by strebergeist

2. chapter 2 by strebergeist

3. chapter 3 by strebergeist

4. Chapter 4 by strebergeist

5. Chapter 5 by strebergeist

6. Chapter 6 by strebergeist

7. Chapter 7 by strebergeist

8. Chapter 8 by strebergeist

9. Chapter 9 by strebergeist

10. Chapter 10 by strebergeist

11. Chapter 11 by strebergeist

12. Chapter 12 by strebergeist

13. Chapter 13 by strebergeist

14. Chapter 14 by strebergeist

15. Chapter 15 by strebergeist

16. Chapter 16 by strebergeist

17. Chapter 17 by strebergeist

18. Chapter 18 by strebergeist

Fear of the Dark by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Tony and Gibbs are living together for six years now and their son has grown a lot. But they're like a trouble magnet
The morning had started quite good. He had woken up at his usual time, had gone for a run. The weather was good, noone was in his way, and he smelled coffee when he entered the house again. He heard the particular brizzle of bacon in a pan and since he hadn't seen the newspaper on the porch he knew he'd find not only coffee but also his lover in the kitchen. He allowed himself to smile when he saw the younger man at the oven swaying in rythm with the song from the small radio on the counter. This morning really started good.

His eyes landed on the table where a coffee and the newspaper waited for him...along with his glasses. Frowning he stepped completely into the kitchen.

"Tony..."

He said picking up his glasses. The younger man turned shortly only to turn back to the stove.

"Morning, LJ."

"Why did you put my glasses here?"

"Huh?"

Tony threw him a confused look over his shoulder.

"My glasses. You put them on top of the newspaper. Why?"

"C'mon, Jethro, we both know you need them. I don't want to watch you holding the papers far enough that I could also nail them on the wall opposite you."

"Tony, if I need my glasses I take them, that's what I have them for."

Tony turned off the stove and gave Gibbs his full attention.

"Oh, you take them. When I'm not around. When you're alone. I know a bit about being vain but this..."

He shook his head.

"Tony, if I need them..."

"Stop that, Jethro. How often you can't read a thing no matter how far you stretch your arm? Jeeze, you shouldn't hide that from me..."

"I'm not hiding anything!"

"What is your problem then? Are you afraid I could think you're old? I know how old you are and I'm still here, am I not? I don't understand it, Jethro. If I ever see you almost overstretch your arm instead of taking that damn glasses I'll be out of the room and you can bank on it that I won't come back."

Did he say this was a good morning?

"Tony...why are you making such a big thing out of this?"

"Do you know that it's not good for your eyes if you don't take the glasses you need? Maybe you don't care but I do. What is next? If the doc says you need the glasses to drive? Will you take them then? Or will you drive around without them and endanger you and others? Face it, Jethro, your eyes are not as you're used to."

With that he put the plate with the bacon on the table and left the kitchen. He certainly knows how to make an exit, Gibbs thought warily. He rubbed his eyes behind which a migrane was building. Luckily, after three failed marriages, he had finally found a way to make up for thing he'd screwed. Walking into the bedroom he found Tony putting away the laundry. Gibbs threw the glasses on the bed and shoved his hands in the pockets of his sport pants. Tony threw him a glare but returned to the t-shirts.

"I hate those glasses."

He carefully watched his lover but there was no reaction what so ever.

"So, if you want me to wear them you'll have to go with me shop for a new pair...a cooler one."

That draw attention and Tony looked up.

"A *cooler* pair of glasses?"

"Well, if I look old I at least look like a cool old bastard."

A smile slowly crept onto Tony's face and Gibbs took the chance of approaching him.

"Issue closed?"

"For now."

Tony warned but kissed him. Gibbs responded deepening the kiss but Tony pulled back.

"We gotta pick up Dom in a few minutes. With everybody else I'd say that's enough time but not with you."

He said grinning mischievous and moved back to the laundry.

"I still think we should have picked him up..."

Gibbs muttered but Tony only laughed.

"Jethro, he called the first day and didn't like it. He didn't call since then, he probably had forgotten that we exist the moment he had hung up the phone. Six year old children are supposed to dislike summer camp the first day, then they make friends and everything is fine. By now he's somewhere between the state that he doesn't want to go home and he can't awaite to see us again."

The older man frowned at him.

"How do you know that?"

"I was a six year old boy once... Just that I missed my nanny instead of my parents."

Tony shrugged nonchalant and started towards the door. Gibbs stopped him and kissed him.

"Mhm...giving me affection I missed as a child?"

"Yup."

"Well, then thanks. Although I'm quite happy my father never showed me affection that way."

They smiled at eachother and went to get Dom.






A day later Tony and Gibbs were in the mall looking for new reading glasses.

"That's ridiculus, Tony."

Gibbs said as Tony approached him with yet another pair.

"C'mon, Jethro, one of them has to be good enough."

The older man only threw him a glare. He turned back to the insulting cupboard until he found a pair he didn't completely hate. The clerk asked him into a room behind the actual store to check his eyes. She pointed at the chart.

"Please read the fourth line."

Gibbs sighed and tried to read but couldn't make out more than grey. He squinted and narrowed his eyes but it didn't help a thing.

"Ok...let's try the third."

The young woman studied him while he tried to see the letters.

"B, O, M, I, S."

She said down on a chair next to him and noted something.

"Mr. Gibbs, when you last got your eyes checked you could read the third line?"

"I could read the fourth...I still can read the third..."

"It's B, Q, M, L, S, Mr. Gibbs. When did you see a doctor the last time?"

"Six months ago...why?"

"You should see one again. You have someone with you to drive?"

"Hang on. I can't drive?"

"Not without the right glasses and your reading glasses don't count."

Gibbs nodded slowly and stood up. When he walked out he just gave Tony the key and walked on ignoring the younger man's asking look.
End Notes:
This is a sequel to "the worse the start the better the end". Would be better if you had read it.
Thanks to Eva for the help and to Nadine for pushing
Not betaed, all mistakes are mine
chapter 2 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
after fiasco at the optician there are more problems coming up
Chapter 2

Gibbs heard the door to the basement open, which meant he was doomed but he didn't care, he kept on sanding. A glance at the watch confirmed his suspicion, he had missed his son's bedtime. Well, fuck. The cracking of stairs seemed like an eternity and when it stopped it took nearly as long before he heard something from his lover.

"So?"

"So what?"

He kept sanding. It wasn't soothing, not really, he just kept telling himself that it soothed him.

"Jethro, when you stormed out of the store, I let you. When you were silent all the way back home, fine. You went right down here although your son would have liked to tell you everything about summer camp, but I'm ok with it. But then you missed his bed time. What the hell is going on?"

"Nothing."

That was too much. Gibbs knew it the moment it had left his lips but it was too late. Tony snapped the sanding paper out of his hand and glared at him.

"Not good enough."

"I need to see my doctor. I probably need permanent glasses. Happy now?"

Tony sat on the workbench and frowned at him.

"That's not the end of the world, Jethro."

Gibbs snorted and immidiatly Tony glared again.

"I don't care if you wear glasses and I don't think Dom does. Isn't that what matters?"

"What about my job, Tony? How many agents you know who wear glasses."

Tony opened his mouth but closed it again. He really couldn't recall any agent with permanent glasses.

"That's all Jen will need to take me out of the field. She didn't want me back after the explosion."

Gibbs looked up just in time to see the pained expression on Tony's face. His amnesia was still a sore spot in their relationship although they hadn't been together back then. When he returned Tony had never seem angry or anything, not like Ducky, but Gibbs knew that Tony just didn't talk about it.

"That's years ago."

Tony said low and didn't look at him. Gibbs quickly closed the distance between them and kissed him affectionately.

"I'm sorry, Tony. Honestly. I promise I'll listen to Dom go through his holidays over and over again tomorrow."

"Jethro, tomorrow's his first day of school."

Gibbs winced at that and tried to turn back but Tony held him firmly.

"You will come with us. It's a big step for our little boy and we went through hell to get him on that school. You'll survive a few hours with other parents."

"Snop parents."

Gibbs classified and shook his head.

"I'll come, it's for Dom. Jen already knows I'm off tomorrow."

"Right. And I'll come back the day after tomorrow, finally. I really missed working. Oh jeeze..."

"What?"

"I just realized that McGee outranks me now."

He grimaced theatrically but Gibbs only laughed, apparently the effect Tony had intented since he smiled slightly. He slid off the workbench and pulled Gibbs close.

"How about you take your new half-time Agent upstairs and teach him some rules?"

The older man grinned at that and leant in close but then smacked Tony on the back of the head.

"You want to start with rule number 12?"

"Thought you screwed that?"

"I made an exeption. My rules."

Gibbs shrugged and then kissed the other man deeply.






It wasn't very obvious but Tony felt it. While his son eagerly pulled him forward towards the school he noticed Gibbs lingering behind slightly. He cast him a warning look and Gibbs sighed annoyed.

"Just look at them, Tony. It's the first day of school not a fucking business meeting."

"Jethro..."

Tony hissed as a mother came towards them. She smiled friendly at them and Tony did his best to return it.

"Welcome to Marylane Elemantary School. I'm Mrs. Miller, I'm the parent's representive. You're Mr. DiNozzo?"

"Yes."

Tony said and shook her hand. He was about to say something when she continued.

"And that must be the little Domenic right? And you're...his grand father?"

She looked at Gibbs and Tony saw his eyes darken.

"Actually, he's Dom's father. My partner."

She cocked an eyebrow and forced another smile.

"Well, then take a look around. If you have questions, just ask."

"The proshure didn't say anything about bigots."

Gibbs muttered when she went away. Tony shot him a look but couldn't deny the look she had sent their way.

"Daddy..."

Dom urged and Tony let go off his hand and he was gone immidiatly.

"At least he seems to like it."

Tony shrugged and they went to check out the after school activities. All the way through the room faces turned towards them and Tony felt soon decidedly uncomfortable.

"Ok, you're right..."

He murmured and Gibbs surpressed a triumphant smile. Tony was just as stubborn as he was and therefore neither of them often admit it that the other was right. Right now he was too annoyed to care. He squared his shoulders and put a hand on Tony's back as they talked to one of the teacher, a friend of Tony. Apparently she noticed the behaviour of the other parents, too.

"Don't worry, I'll look after Dom. He'll be in my class."

She said smiling but it turned into a grin.

"Of course I won't prefer him or anything, you know me well enough for that, don't you, Tony."

"Oh, I know that Beth. But it's good to know he's in good hands. Everything was fine at the kindergarten, but we're pretty known in that area, I often did babysitting, the mothers were happy when a grown man watched their kids."

"I bet they does. Not to mention a good looking one."

She winked at Gibbs and strangely he didn't felt jealous. He could sense a vibe between them but it was the same vibe between Tony and Abby, maybe a bit like Kate, but definitely no danger.

"Luckily there won't be too much interaction between you and the other parents. Just on the few occasions you have to attend."

"The occasions we have to attend?"

Gibbs asked and couldn't hide the slight anxiousty in his voice.

"Yeah, Marylane expects a certain amount of participation from parents. We'll find something that suits you. Career day would be good, wouldn't it?"

"Maybe..."

They turned as they heard raised voices from the other side of the atrium. A man came towards them dragging Dom on one arm.

"Hey! Take your hands of my son!"

Gibbs said immidiatly in protection mode and stepped toe-to-toe with the man in a black suit who was half a head taller than he was, not that he cared.

"That brat hurt my son."

The man said and a boy showed behind him, together with Mrs. Miller.

"Mr. Miller, I'm sure there's an explanation..."

Beth started but Mrs. Miller cut her out.

"He twisted his hand! It could be broken!"

Tony knelt down to his son's level, who was rubbing his own arm.

"Dom, what happened?"

"He tried to hurt me, Daddy."

Gibbs turned back to the man who looked a bit shorter, but only for a second.

"What did he do?"

"He poked me."

"Kay, show me."

Dom poked Tony on the chest, and given that the boy was bigger and older than Dom he could imagine that it did hurt Dom.

"What did you do?"

"What Pa showed me."

Tony gave him his hand and Dom showed him the move.

"You see? That brat..."

"Stop calling my son a brat or you'll never see your kid growing up."

Gibbs said and Tony knew that tone of voice.

"You're threatening my child?"

"Not your child."

"Listen, Mr..."

Mr. Miller poked Gibbs in the chest and he did just the same move Dom had done.

"Now we know where he got that from!"

The man yelped and Gibbs laughed hollow.

"I could say the same about you. Your angel had started it. My son had just defended himself."

He let go of his hand and stepped to Tony. Picking up Dom he went to the door.
End Notes:
same as before
chapter 3 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
There are unclosed issues between Tony and Gibbs
Chapter 3

Two adults, a six year old boy, silence. It was like that the way out of the school, the way home in the car, and then in the kitchen. Tony sat at the table, occasionally chancing glances at Gibbs, the older man stood against the counter and persisted in his non-communication. Dom kept looking at his hands and didn't much move at all.

"Dom, go to your room."

Tony finally said and the boy moved slowly.

"That wasn't your fault, Champ."

Gibbs kissed him on the top of the head and they both forced them to smile.

"See you later, honey."

Tony said and kissed him aswell before the boy left obviously relieved. As soon as they heard the door to his room close their faces fell back into the neutral mask they had put on since they had left the school. Tony just opened his mouth when there was a knock on the door.

"Hey, Tony, we just wanted to check that you're ok."

Susanne and Mike Smith from two doors to the right stood there and smiled reassuring at Tony.

"Thanks, Su. Hey, Jack, you wanna play with Dom? He's in his room."

The boy, Dom's best friend nodded and went past Tony. He lead Susanne and Mike into the kitchen where Gibbs had started coffee.

"Gibbs."

Mike said and they shook hands briefly. While Tony and Susanne were good friends Gibbs and Mike knew eachother only from passing children between them and occasional douple dates Tony had started to help Susanne with their problematic marriage.

"Lots of shit what happened at the school today."

Gibbs nodded his agreement at Mike's statement when they sat at the table.

"We heard a lot of them talking, and we saw how Mr. Miller had taken Dom by the arm. Mike tried to get him off Dom but..."

"It's ok, Su, really. I don't think we'll have problems with Mr. Miller again."

Gibbs said and all three shot him surprised looks.

"You won't take Dom off the school, will you? I mean, sure what happened today sucks, but there'll always people like them."

Mike stated and Tony shook his head.

"No, taking him off would only change the people involved, but not the situation."

Gibbs looked at the table at the tone of voice Tony used. Sometimes Tony forgot that Dom was his son aswell. He did a lot of things wrong, too often he was a bastard to Tony but he knew that if he start a fight when other people were there Tony first would yell at him and that would be followed by two days of silence.

"Kay, we'll leave you alone now. We only wanted to check you're alright."

Susanne said and they both got up.

"Jack can stay a bit, I could bring him home later."

Gibbs offered and Mike smiled.

"No, but thanks. He has to visit his ancestors."

He grimased theatrically and Gibbs winced in sympathy.

"Semper fi, Gibbs."

"Semper fi, Mike."

The two Marines said and they saluted sloppy, not as sloppy as Tony would have done but sloppy for Marines. The two others shared a head shake and a smile. Again they were silent until Dom was back in his room.

"So, you don't even consider taking him off the school?"

Gibbs said and he already sounded quite pissed.

"Jethro, it's like Mike said. There are million of people out there who think what we have is unnatural. That Dom is different from all the other kids in that school, and he is. He's more intelligent that that boy today. And he's polite and loving and lovable. He knows that he has to respect people but not let them do everything they want. His best friend goes to that school and that boy isn't in his class. Beth will keep an eye on him, he'll be fine, Jethro, as fine as he can be."

He turned to the fridge and took out the stuff for dinner.

"So, I have no word in this?"

"Sure you have. Say what you have to say. I told you that I wouldn't take him off the school and I told you my reasons. Give me a good reason for taking him off."

"He doesn't have to face those idiots. He could do home schooling."

"No."

Tony simply said and turned back to the food.

"Tony,..."

"No, Jethro. I won't let him have home schooling. He'll feel isolated and he won't be prepared for the shit you have to face when you're in the real world. Not only no, hell no!"

Gibbs didn't say anything but Tony soon squirmed under the glare.

"I had home schooling, ok? Mum was a teacher, when she died Dad sent me off for boarding school, you think that was easy? Coming from your mother to military drill? I hated it! I hated home schooling and I hated what it took me! Dom will go to school like every normal kid does because that's what he is, a normal kid! Fuck!"

His hands had started to shake and the glass container had slipped from his fingers smashing on the floor. He rubbed his hands over his face.

"Why, Jethro? Why can't anything go just fine?"

His eyes glistered with unshed tears. Gibbs was quickly at his side taking him in his arms.

"Don't worry, Tony. We'll just let him go there and see how it goes. And I'm sure there'll be a time when only good things happen to us."

He kissed him softly and the younger man finally smiled.

"When did you turn into such a fluffy man?"

"Always was just nobody ever noticed."
Chapter 4 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Gibbs gets really bad news
A little anxious didn't quite fit the feeling that was lying heavily in Gibbs' gut. At home everything was going up and down, Tony checked Dom every day for bruises, luckily he hadn't found any, at least yet. Work was horror, not that that was new but he had hoped it would be better once Tony was back half a day. But six years are a damn long time in this business and Tony was hanging behind, both knew, neither mentioned, their own kind of don't ask don't tell. And now on top of all he had to sit in a stupid waiting room of his doctor. He had been here a couple of days ago and the doctor had taken some tests and now there was the time of truth.

Gibbs knew it weren't good news. He knew that tone of voice Dr. Johnson had used on the phone. Therefore he mentally was prepared for the prescription of permanent glasses, but he hadn't told Tony yet. He was called into an examination room and asked to wait a few. He always hated waiting but to be called in to wait some more was just ridiculus. The door opened and the man, barely older than Tony, entered the room.

"Mr. Gibbs."

That tone of voice again, Gibbs thought sourly.

"Look, I know I need glasses so write down what the optician needs to know and..."

"It's a bit more difficult, Mr. Gibbs."

"What do you mean "more difficult"? And don't gimme that latin shit, say it in English."

"You have a decease that slowly kills the nerve endings on your retina."

He opened his mouth to say something several times but nothing came out.

"Does that...does that mean I'm gonna be blind?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Gibbs, but yes."

Gibbs leant back in the chair and ran his hands over his face. How should he tell Tony about that?

"There is something we can do though. But the chances that the operation works are quite small. In three of ten cases blindness can be avoided."

"And the other seven?"

"Blindness is immidiate. I'm not telling you to do, neither I'm telling you not to do it. It's your call, Mr. Gibbs."

"So, if I do it and it works I won't be blind. If I do and it doesn't work, I'm blind. What if I don't do it?"

"By the state you're in I'd give you eight months, probably less and your eyesight will weaken slowly."

"So I'm gonna be blind anyway except the operation works..."

He shook his head.

"I gotta think about it."

"Sure, Mr. Gibbs. But I tell you, the longer you wait the smaller are the chances. You should decide soon."

He nodded and they shook hands wordlessly. All the way home he tried to figure out how to break those news. It wasn't as if he and Tony didn't already go through a rocky time. The change in their relationship did effect work and the issue about Dom staying at the school was still not closed.






"Fuck!"

"Hi, to you too."

Gibbs muttered when he walked into the kitchen where his lover gathered the cereals off the floor.

"You won't guess who just called me."

"Mrs. Miller."

"Ok, you guessed."

It was easy to guess. Once a day had started bad it barely got any better, usually only worse. And the only one who could make this day worse was that stupid woman.

"She said she had talked to the principle about Dom and they think he should see a shrink! God dammit! He's fucking six years old! We don't abuse him! We are good parents! The only fault we have is that none of us has a vagina!"

Gibbs frowned about Tony's colourful language and guessed Dom wasn't home.

"Where is he?"

"He's with Jack. You don't have anything to say about that bitch?"

Gibbs sighed. Tony was right. Usually he would yell, he would storm into that school and rip that principle a new one, but he didn't. His mind was stuck and he kept mentally repeating one word. Blind.

"What's wrong?"

Tony asked as if he was reading his mind but Gibbs shook his head.

"I just haven't had the best day so far and this is like the cherry on the creme. I hate shrinks."

His eyes fell onto the newspaper which seemed to laugh at him.

"Did something happen?"

He took a deep breath but when he looked at Tony he couldn't get the words out.

"Just hadn't slept too well. This case is freaking me out."

Tony nodded and Gibbs kissed him casually before he left for the basement.





The only light in the basement was what came in through the windows from the street, what means it wasn't much. It was nice, it didn't hurt his eyes. But yet he had a strange feeling. It was as if somebody was watching him. He thought he heard footsteps but when he looked no-one was there. His son and partner were just two floors above him yet he felt totally alone. Alone in the darkness. A darkness that became thicker with every day he waited. He knew he would never find the right words to tell Tony he would soon have to quit his job. He would never see his son as a man, in his graduation dress. Tears burned in his eyes when he realized he had come to a decision.
Chapter 5 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
What they see
Dom's POV


"Hey, Dom, time for bed."

His Daddy stuck his head in and Dom looked at him with big puppy eyes.

"Just ten minutes, Daddy."

"No, you're going to bed now. You had twenty last night so no extention today."

He kissed his son on the head and the boy climped into his bed.

"Where's Pa?"

He asked when his Daddy was at the door.

"He's not feeling well, honey. I'll tell him good night from you."

The younger of his fathers closed the door and Dom listened carefully. He heard the door to the basement open and close and he turned on his light and took the painting book he had been working on.

Keeping his ears sharp for the noise of one of his fathers or both coming up he draw for about twenty minutes when it happened. A door was slammed, heavy footsteps on the stairs and then raised voices.

"Tony! Come back!"

"No, Jethro! No way! I won't do that!"

Dom quickly turned off the lights and slipped down on his bed in case they checked on him.

"Well, then I have no choice."

The door to their bedroom cracked slightly when opened and he heard more footsteps.

"Jethro, no! Jethro, don't!"

Rumbling noises in the other room and complete silence. Dom carefully slipped out of his bed and tiptoed to the door. Pressing his ear against it he heard again footsteps, but this time slowly.

"Leaving."

He heard his Pa's voice and then somebody walking down the stairs. His heart pounded hard as the front door fell shot and he heard something crash in the bedroom of his parents.







Tony's POV

He slowly made the way down the stairs. The basment lay in deep shadows and complete silence. He found Gibbs sitting in the corner behind the stairs staring at the boat, a mug, Tony supposed it was filled with bourbon, hanging forgotten from his hand.

"What you want?"

The tone was cold as ice and Tony bit his lips so he wouldn't give an equal answer. He pushed himself on the workbench.

"What is going on, Jethro? Your mood in the past few days..."

"There's nothing wrong with *me*"

Gibbs sighed annoyed and tool a swing of his drink.

"Jethro, please. I know you. You stormed into that school for less, and now? Nothing."

"Maybe I think it's a good idea. Let's face it, Tony, Dom's not a normal kid."

Tony looked at him with opened mouth.

"I can't believe you said that. The last few days you've been a bigger bastard than I ever thought possible!"

"Why are you making such a big thing out of it? You knew what you get yourself involved with!"

"Maybe I don't want our children to become like that!"

Tony yelled and slid off the workbench.

"It's not...wait...did you say children? As in more than one?"

Tony stopped in his track and slowly turned around. He hadn't meant to tell it Gibbs like that.

"Yeah, Jethro. I felt weird lately and when I was craving for apples I went to my doc. I'm six weeks pregnant."

For a moment Gibbs' face was a mask of shock but then that was replaced by anger.

"I thought we were playing it save."

"What do you mean? We both thought I can't get pregnant again. We didn't use condoms, I wasn't taking the pill, that's not exactly the definition of pregnancy prevention."

"So, you have been save with others?"

The words felt like a knife being stabbed right through his heart.

"Are you accussing me of cheating on you?"

His voice was barely more than a whisper and he could feel tears on the edge of shedding.

"You've been around Jason a lot lately. Weren't you two at the movies about six weks ago?"

"Yeah, and when I came home *you* made love to me! And Jason's just a friend!"

"He's gay and we both know it wouldn't be the first time you betray your partner."

Now Tony really didn't know what to say.

"I *never* cheated on you. This is your child!"

He touched his belly and a tear threatened to escape his eye.

"I don't want another child."

8, 9, 10, KO in the third round.

"You're...you're not asking me to..."

"Asking? No."

That was it. Tony knew it. He had to go or he would do something he'd regret later. He went upstairs and slammed the door shot behind him.

"Tony, come back!"

Gibbs yelled behind him but he was already on his way to their bedroom.

"No, Jethro! No way! I won't do that!"

"Then, I have no choice."

Shocked Tony stopped and Gibbs pushed as Gibbs took out a suitcase and threw cloths into it.

"Jethro, no! Jethro, don't!"

Tony tried to get to the suitcase but Gibbs pushed him away roughly throwing him into the dresser. Terrified Tony sank down onto the floor and couldn't hold back his tears anymore.

"What are you doing?"

He whispered when Gibbs reached the door.

"Leaving."

The older man answered toneless and vanished through the door. When the front door fell closed Tony grapped the israeli vase Ziva had given them at their first anniversary and threw it full force against the wall where it smashed into a thousand pieces, just like his heart.
Chapter 6 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
What he knows
Gibbs' POV

It was dark, and he didn't only mean the room. In this light he couldn't make out much more than shapes, his never-to-be-finished boat a prominent light form in the otherwise dark basement. It had been only two weeks since Dr. Stevenson's fatal diagnosis but yet he noticed his sight weakening. Sometimes he had trouble focusing on faces, sometimes colours were fading into a grey mass. He didn't drive more than necessary these days, at least not if somebody else was in the car. One the one hand he didn't want to endanger them, on the other hand they would notice that he didn't drive as fast and neckbreaking as he used to.

He found himself sitting in here without lights on every night in the last two weeks. Light only hurt his eyes by now and like this he sharpened his senses. Right now he heard footsteps in the hall above and given the volume he could guess it was Tony. They grew louder and he knew he was heading down here. Snapping the half empty cup of bourbon from two days ago and let it hang from two fingers. He fixed his gaze on the boat. He avoided eye contact with Tony because in the last years the younger man had learnt to read him. The door opened and the time Tony took to get down the stairs seemed like an eternity.

"What you want?"

He had to fight hard to get the words out as cold as he could once Tony stood next to him. The younger man didn't answer and Gibbs followed him out of the corner of his eyes as he sat on the workbench.

"What's going on, Jethro? You're mood in the past few days..."

"There's nothing wrong with *me*"

He sighed annoyed about himself. How low had he sunken to lie to his partner like that? He took a sip, remembering that the mug had stood in the dusty basement when it was too late.

"Jethro, please, I know you. You stormed into that school for less, and now? Nothing."

Demanding or pleading, Gibbs couldn't tell what it was but he knew he had to take his first strike.

"maybe it's a good idea. Let's face it, Tony, Dom's not a normal kid."

Score, Gibbs thought sourly as Tony stared at him in disbelief.

"I can't believe you said that. The last few days you've been a bigger bastard than I thought possible!"

Me, too, and it was hard work, Gibbs thought.

"Why are you making such a big thing out of it? You knew what you get yourself involved with!"

"Maybe I don't want our children to become like that!"

Tony yelled and slid off the workbench.

"It's not...wait..."

Did he say children?

"Did you say children? As in more than one?"

He watched as Tony stopped and turned slowly. This couldn't be, could it?

"Yeah, Jethro. I felt weird lately, and when I was craving for apples I went to my doc. I'm six weeks pregnant."

That was the moment, Gibbs thought. His heart imploded in his chest leaving nothing but emptyness. But it didn't change his mind, it only prooved that his decision was right. He put up his mask of anger.

"I thought we were playing it save."

Tony's expression was confused.

"What do you mean? We both thought I can't get pregnant again. We didn't use condoms, I wasn't taking the pill, that's not exactly the definition of pregnancy prevention."

Prepare for punch below the belt.

"So, you've been save with others?"

That had hit exacty where it was intented.

"Are you accusing me of cheating on you?"

Gibbs felt his internals clench at Tony's voice, low and full of tears. He knew perfectly well that Tony was absolutely not cheating on him. He wasn't even flirting anymore.

"You've been around Jason a lot lately. Weren't you two at the movies about six weeks ago?"

It hurt to say that. This whole situation hurt. He knew Jason was just a friend, actually Jason had tried to hit on him.

"Yeah, and when I came home *you* made love to me! And Jason's just a friend!"

"He's gay and we both know it wouldn't be the first time you betray your partner."

He was going to throw up.

"I *never* cheated on you. This is your child!"

Tony touched his belly and looked very much like seven years ago when he had been bashed by Steve.

"I don't want another child."

Killshot.

"You're...you're not asking me to..."

"Asking? No."

That was it. He had sold his soul to the devil right this moment. Tony turned and stormed up the stairs slamming the door shot. Gibbs ran after him.

"Tony, come back!"

Gibbs yelled but Tony didn't even turn on the stairs.

"No, Jethro! No way! I won't do that!"

"Then I have no choice."

He pressed out and pushed past a shocked Tony into the bedroom. He had planned this for days and he knew where the suitcase was. He also knew what cloths he would need the next few days.

"Jethro, no! Jethro, don't!"

As Tony reached for the suitcase Gibbs pushed him away and heard him crash into the dresser but he didn't turn. Sobbing reached his ears and he fought hard to keep cotnrol.

"What are you doing?"

Gibbs stopped, momentarily losing his self control.

"Leaving."

With that he walked out of the door. When he walked past Dom's room he saw light and sighed. He had to get out of here as fast as possible.Once at the car he made probably the biggest mistake he could do. He looked up and saw Dom at the window on the first floor. His little son waved sadly at him.

Gibbs got in the car and drove down the drive way. He couldn't stay any longer or he wouldn't leave. He could keep his mind blank until he was out of their block. He took a right turn into a small park that was by now completely deserted and dark. As he turned off the engine he let his mind work because he knew he had to.

Tony was pregnant. He just didn't only leave his partner and son, he left his pregnant partner and his son. How was Tony going to make it? Would it be a boy or a girl? Would he ever meet his children? At least his son, again? Is this really the only way?

His breathing started to go harder. No, he couldn't go back. This was the only way. Tony had enough to worry and care about, he didn't need a blind partner. He would only be a burder for the younger man. Tony still had most of his life in front of him and he would find somebody new, he would be happy again.

Would he ever going to be ok? Would he ever be able to cope with the pain of losing two families? Of hurting his family? Pictures of Kelly and Dom flashed in front of his eyes. Then a brand new little baby. His eyes started to burn and just a second later he clenched the steering wheel that hard that his knuckles turned white. But nothing he could do could hold back the tears. He cried out and started to cry hugging the wheel.
Chapter 7 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Where did he go? Will he come back? What happened?
Tony took another deep breath before he exited the car. To bring Dom to school had been his first step to get over the day, also it was more like a marathon. Dom hadn't said anything, no question, nothing. The silence didn't make it easier though.

Now he stood in the parking lot of NCIS and he didn't know if he could get in. What would happen? Due to his half-day position he wasn't supposed to show up before 9 but now it was 15 minutes later. Would Gibbs yell at him? Would Gibbs ignore him?

He sighed and made his way in. No matter what would happen he had to face Gibbs sooner or later. He went through security and forced himself to smile but couldn't do the usual chatter. He went up internally giving himself the gut.

"What the hell?"

He walked into the bullpen watching shocked as McGee packed all his stuff from his desk. Did Gibbs fire McGee?

"Tim?"

McGee looked up at him startled. His expression was a mixture of pure horror and fear.

"I don't understand it. Why didn't he say anything?"

"Tim, I..."

McGee stood up and carried his box over to Gibbs' desk, where he started to unpack it. What the hell was going on?

"Tim?"

"Gibbs quit...don't you know that?"

Tony sank down in the next chair he could find. This wasn't just a fight getting out of control. Gibbs didn't move out for a night or two. This was, officially and finally, the end.

"Tony? Something wrong?"

"He left me. He...it's over...and he won't come back..."

McGee put a supporting hand on Tony's shoulder.

"Why don't we go down to Abby? It's a bit crowded up here."

Tony nodded slowly but didn't seem to get up. For a moment McGee considered the options and then hooked one arm under Tony's.




McGee and Abby stood there and watched Tony. Abby nudged the young man and mentioned towards the young Italian. He shook his head and gestured a "no way" to the goth. She sighed.

"Tony, what happened?"

"I don't know...it's been rocky lately. Me being back at work and the problems with Dom's school...it hasn't been the best time in our relationship...last night I went into the basement to ask him what's wrong and he...he said that Dom really should see a shrink...I was that enraged that I accidently told him that I'm pregnant."

"You're pregnant? I thought men only get pregnant once."

Abby said shocked.

"That's what we thought so we didn't prevent...he accused me on cheating on him and then said he doesn't want another child."

He let out a pathetic laugh.

"He wanted me to do an abortion. Can you believe that? When I said I wouldn't he...he packed and left. He won't come back, will he?"

Tony looked at them with tears in his eyes and Abby quickly hugged him.

"It's gonna be ok, Tony. We're here for you."

"But I need him, Abby. I had to go through one pregnancy alone, how should I go through a second?"

"You're not alone, Tony. This time you've got us. We'll take care of you. I promise."

Tony looked at his hand. Slowly he took off the ring he had worn for six years.

"I love him. And I thought he loved me, too. We went through so much...he made me come back...why did he leave?"

Instead of an answer Abby just took him into her arms again and he cried. Too sad to care about anything.




"Gibbs?"

"Fuck, Gibbs! Where the hell are you? Are you freaking out of your mind? I swear! If you don't have a damn good explanation for this I'll kill you myself!"

Abby waited but there was only silence on the other end.

"You're done?"

"Not even close."

She snapped back.

"Well, anyway. Tell Tony he'll get a check every month. He can have full custody for Dom and I'm out of his life. I won't be even close to them anymore."

"Where are you going, Gibbs?"

"Home."

After that the line was cut and Abby stared at the phone.
End Notes:
Same as before. Not betaed. Thanks for the feedback and more please. Thanks to Eva and Nadine
Chapter 8 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Does he want to know?
"Lots of memories, huh?"

Gibbs barely nodded but it was true. He couldn't understand why she was living here. But then, he still lived in the same house he had lived with Shannon and Kelly so why shouldn't she live here? Nothing really looked like back then but still, the house alone was enough to recall the memories.

"I have a spare room, you can take it."

"Why are you doing this for me, Lil? We haven't talked in what? Thirty years?"

The red head shrugged as she placed a cup of coffee in front of Gibbs.

"I made mistakes, you made mistakes, but in the end you're still my brother."

Gibbs slowly shook his head.

"I can't understand you, really. You weren't at one of my weddings after Shannon. You never met..."

She put her hand on top of his.

"Why don't you tell me why you're really here?"

"I had to leave my family. My son, my partner...my unborn child..."

"You had...oh my god...what happened?"

"I have a decease. The nerve endings in my retina are slowly dying. There's an operation but the chances are small. Probability says I'm going to be blind within the next six months. I can't do that to Tony, to Dom..."

"You're with a man?"

"I was with a man. About seven years ago we had this...one night stand. Don't get me wrong...I loved him all along but he was engaged. Then he turned up being pregnant and told me it was from his fiancé. He was bashed and ran away...a year later I found him in New York and he confessed that Dom is in fact my son. When my doctor told me about my eyes I knew I couldn't do that to them. Dom's in a difficult stadium. His class mates are mocking him cause he has two fathers. And soon Tony will have a baby and...I can't put that burden on his shoulders."

"Did you ever think about it that Tony might not think of it as a burden? It sounds as if you two went through a lot. I think he would support you."

Gibbs slowly shook his head.

"Of course. He would say that he loves me no matter what, that he supports me and all that. But I would be a burden."

Lil sat back in her chair and took a sip of her coffee.

"You know, Jethro, I don't think that's why you're running away."

Gibbs rolled his eyes. Now she'd do one of her analysing shit. It sucks to have a psychologist as a sister.

"If you haven't changed completely since the last time we've met you would never admit to have any weakness. You never wanted any help and if you think back that was one of the reasons for our fight. It's one thing to ask your sister for help, it's another to ask your partner and son. I think in your mind it's your job to protect your family because you couldn't protect the family you once had and that's why you're running away. Because you can't protect them if you're blind. Am I right?"

He pressed the balls of his hands against his eyes.

"Will you help me, or not?"






3 months later.


He heard the noise of machines usual in hospitals. He could feel the cotton of the sheets, raw from thousand times of washing, under his palms and he could smell that distinguished hospital scent. His head was still fuzzy but he raised his hand to his eyes only to feel a bandage over them.

"Hey, Jethro."

He turned his head to the sound of his sister's voice. Swallowing he tried to get moisture to his dry mouth.

"Lil...how did..."

He felt her hand on his arm and by this small gesture he knew it.

"Jethro, I talked to the doctor. The were complications...I'm sorry..."

He licked his lips and laughed hollow.

"Yeah...me, too..."

A sob escaped his throat.

"You...you know...I'll never see my children grow up. Why, Lil? Why don't I have the chance to see at least one of them grow up?"

The hand on his arm squeezed gently.

"You could be there, though."

"After what I said? After running away? After I accused Tony of cheating on me just so he'd let me go? After I told him to do an abortion...Oh my god! Please...please don't let him do that..."

She caught him in her arms.

"Jethro, if it's any help...I could talk to Ducky. I won't tell him that you're here I'll just ask what been going on. I'll tell him you called and I couldn't tell what had happened."

He shook his head vehemently.

"No...it'll...it'll make it more difficult. I don't want to know how they are. I don't want to know if I'll have another child...I wish...I wish I never met Tony."
End Notes:
I'M not quite sure where this is leading to.
Chapter 9 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
You think it can't get worse? Think again.
"Tony, why don't you go home and get some rest."

Ducky adviced but the young man only shot him a look.

"Rest from what, Duck? Sitting around at a desk? I'll go when it's time to pick up Dom, as every day in the last seven months."

Tony returned to his computer deliberatly ignoring the man in front of his desk. He was just ready to return to the field when the doctor set him on desk duty. Medically it was the right decision. The emotional stress was almost too much to take and more than once Tony found himself in the basement looking at the omnipresent reminder on the life he once had and a gun in his hand. It never went further. He never raised the gun. But only the fact that he was there thinking about it let him collapse when he was five months along. After a week in the hospital the doctor had sent him home. Since Tony hadn't told anybody about it the doctor had said the collapse was caused by the unusual redution of weight. He was told to eat proper and he immidiatly told Ducky and Abby so they'd force him to eat, if he wanted or not. For the sake of his children, he had to stay alive.

"Tony."

The young man sighed and looked up into the concerned faces of his friends.

"You look like hell, and you know it. Go home. Sleep a bit. I know Dom's having nightmares. Get the sleep you haven't got last night."

Abby said calmly but Tony shook a head.

"Ok, I never thought I'd do this but, get home, DiNozzo. That's an order."

Tony raised his eyebrow at Tim. The younger man squirmed slightly under the Gibbs-like glare until Tony realized what he was doing and looked down. Fighting back the tears he slowly stood up. Maybe they were right. Maybe now he could get some sleep. Although, Dom was not the only one with nightmares.




Tony took a deep breath as he locked the car. Getting out of it became more and more difficult and he knew he shouldn't be driving at all but what should he do? He couldn't send McGee or Abby all the time, and no way he would let Ziva drive when Dom's in the car.

He sighed heavily as he walked towards the house. He had been thinking about moving but somehow he had still hope that Gibbs would come back. That it all had been a weird dream. But slowly he began to know that this was for real and final.

Just as he reached the door he felt a sting in his neck and before he could raise his hand to determine what it was everything became fuzzy and his world faded out.






"You're on the air!"

Abby called as she answered her cell phone without checking the caller ID.

"Ms. Scuito? It's Ms. Cameron from Marylane Elementary school."

"Ohh...em...yeah, it's me. What can I do for you?"

"Well, It's already two pm and Mr. DiNozzo didn't come to pick up his son. We tried to reach him on his home and cell phone but he doesn't answer. Therefore I'm calling you now. Can you step by and pick him up?"

Abby paled as the secretary talked.

"Absolutely. I'll be there in a minute."

She hung up and grapped her coat. Hurrying upstairs she made a bee-line to McGee's desk.

"Tim, Tony doesn't answer his phones and hasn't picked up Dom. I'll go pick him up now. Should I check on Tony?"

Her voice was full of concern McGee could relate to only too well.

"No, you pick up Dom, I'll check on Tony with Ziva."

Abby nodded slowly.

"Go, Abby. I'll give you a call as soon as I'm there."





Abby walked into the school and showed her ID before she was allowed to Dom.

"Hey, honey, c'mon. You'll stay with me for while."

He went over to her and took her outstreched hand. He stayed silent until they sat in the car and where on the street.

"Abby, where's Daddy?"

"Well, he's busy, honey."

"Is everything alright?"

"Sure, honey. Why do you think it's not?"

"Cause they couldn't call him. And he never forgets to pick me up. Not even immidiatly after...Abby, do you know where Pa is?"

She looked sadly into the rear view mirror.

"Sorry, Dom. I don't know. I haven't spoken to him since he left."

"Do you know why he went away? Doesn't he love us anymore?"

"I'm sure he does, Dom. I don't know why he went away but I'm sure he has his reasons."

One being a big idiotic stubborn asshole, she added inwardly. If they found Gibbs' body somewhere hidden she would be on the top ten list of suspects, she wouldn't even cross her out herself.

"I wanted to ask Daddy, but he was so sad about it. I didn't want to make him cry even more."

"You heard your Daddy cry?"

The small boy nodded sadly. Abby surpressed her own sadness.






"Hey, Dom. Go with Ducky, ok?"

McGee said as they entered the bullpen. Ducky took the boy at his hand and they went away Ducky telling some story. Abby waited until they were out of earshot before she turned to McGee.

"What's wrong?"

"Tony's been kidnapped."

"WHAT?"

"Abby, calm down! We've been at his house. His car was there but he wasn't. All we found was a note. It was adressed to me that I'd better find Gibbs or Tony will die."

"What the hell..."

"Apparently somebody tries to get Gibbs through Tony."

"That's absolutely unlogically! Gibbs left Tony. Obviously he doesn't care about Tony or his children anymore!"

McGee shrugged.

"Abby, I don't know anything yet. Everything we've found is down in your lab. Ziva and Lee are running a search for Gibbs but we have no idea where to start. For all we know he could be Japan."

Abby looked down guilty.

"I think I know where he is...not exactly just...when he left I called him on his cell. He answered and when I asked where he's going he said "home"."

"Abby, why didn't you tell me that?"

"I don't know! I didn't thought we need to know where he is. Actually I didn't want to know where he is or I'd have driven there, I'm sure."

McGee took a deep breath.

"Ok...that could mean...what could that mean?"

"Maybe he went to his parents."

"Dead."

"Siblings?"

"Dunno...Lee! Run a check if Gibbs has any siblings. If he has I want names and current adress! Ziva, check where Gibbs was born and see if there's anything he could be at."

He turned back to Abby.

"Abby, I promise we'll find Gibbs and we'll find Tony. Go down and see what you can get out of the evidence. Maybe we can cut down the people who have a grudge on Gibbs."

"You mean to a few thousands instead of millions?"

"Yeah."
Chapter 10 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Old friends, or not, show up.
His head was throbbing and his whole body was sore. He sat in an uncomfortable position and wondered how he stayed in this position. But then he felt the robes around his wrists and ankles and knew it. For a moment he considered leaving his eyes closed but then, it was never good to not look.

Or not. He thought as he stared into the pale face of a really huge guy. Something in the man's eyes seemed familiar but then...

"Long time, no see, huh, Tony?"

"Steve?!"

Tony whispered as he now recognized the man. It was his former fiancé, but then, he was not. He wasn't the tall lean man he once had fell for. He had taken on a good hundred pounds, all muscles, the once handsom face was disgraced by a big scar over the left cheek and he missed a tooth or two.

"Yeah, isn't it great? I see, you haven't changed as much. Still fat."

"Pregnant."

Tony gritted through his teeth.

"You're right. Again fat. This really makes old memories fresh, doesn't it?"

"What do you want?"

"I want my life back. No, Tony. I don't mean you. Hell, no way I want something dirty as you and your little bastard. I want Gibbs."

Tony frowned confused.

"You want Gibbs?"

"I want Gibbs to pay for the last seven fucking years. I was kept like an animal in a cage only because I gave you what you deserved. Of course...he didn't get me for you. You were gone...hell knows where. He kept hunting me anyway. Fucking bastard sent me the feds on the neck. Stupid Fornell didn't let go till he found enough to send me to jail."

Tony opened his mouth but closed it again.

"So, you think if you kill me you make Gibbs pay?"

"No. I want to kill the fucking bastard himself. You're just my way to get him."

Tony leant back in his chair, hoping it would be slightly more comfortable, it wasn't. He laughed hollow.

"You really think he'll come for me? Jeeze, Steve. If I'm dead there's just one check less he has to pay."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

The blond man yelled into Tony's face and if his hands were free he'd have wipped away the spit.

"He left me seven months ago. Didn't want the child. Haven't seen him or heard from him since. The only thing I get is the check."

"Don't you dare lying to me!"

"I don't lie! Fuck! He went away! I have no idea where he is! No-one of us have! He's fucking not talking to anybody anymore! Not even his son. Believe me, right now, I'd love to give you the adress of that damn bastard who destroyed my life worse than you did."





The bullpen was filled with silence. No-one was talking and all you could hear was the occasional tapping of fingers on a keyboard. The elevator opened and Fornell stormed in.

"McGee!"

The young man looked up at the FBI Agent in front of his desk.

"This is not the best moment, Agent Fornell..."

"Where's DiNotzo?"

"That's exactly why this isn't the best moment. Agent DiNozzo is missing and we're trying to..."

"You have to find Gibbs. He's the only one to find DiNotzo."

"His name is *DiNozzo*."

Ziva said pointedly.

"And that's exactly what we're doing!"

"Actually it's what we were doing."

Agent Lee said from her desk. She stood from her desk and walked over to McGee.

"Agent Gibbs has been treated in Medical Centre of his hometown a few months ago."

"For what?"

"Haven't found out yet. I need a warrant to get his medical file since he officially retired from the marine corp aswell as NCIS. All I got is his adress from the time of his treatment. He's living at his sister's house."

McGee stood.

"Anything else, Agent Fornell?"

"The one who has _DiNozzo_"

He grimased while pronouncing the name correctly.

"Is propably Steve Whishaw. Gibbs made me look at him a bit more closely seven years ago and we brought him into jail for 25 to life. He broke out yesterday."

"Didn't lose time."

McGee muttered and reached for his phone.

"Lee, print me the adress and a route. Ziva, gas the sedan. I'll bring Ducky."

"You're planning on bring Gibbs in a body bag?"

"No, but if anybody can talk Gibbs into coming back except for Tony it's Ducky. Well, Abby could, but then we'd need that body bag."
End Notes:
Still not betaed. I got so much nice feedback to continue. Thanks and I'd like to hear more of that. *g*
I don't really know where this fic is leading me so...
Chapter 11 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
A wake up call
Gibbs ran a hand over his forehead stopping at the sunglasses he now wore all the time. Sighing he lowered his hand back to the page he was trying to read. Examining every sign slowly he got frustrated quickly but he kept going. He had to. The door bell rang and startled him so he lost the line.

"Damn it."

He murmured as he went to open. Lil was still at work but she was expecting a delivery. Opening the door he tried to listen for any sound.

"Yeah?"

He said and waited for the person to say something. By now his vision was down to zero and he couldn't even see light anymore.

"Gibbs..."

He recognized the voice immidiatly and cursed himself for opening the door.

"McGee? What the hell are you doing here?"

"Didn't you recognize me?"

He heard low talking and then litterly the coin fall.

"May we come in?"

Gibbs tried to hide his smile at the voice of his old friend Ducky and stepped aside. Now that they found him and saw him there was no way he could get away. He lead them into the kitchen and put two more cups on the table.

"Duck...I'd give you some tea but..."

He waved around the kitchen.

"It's nothing I usually need so I won't find it."

"That's fine, Jethro. Why don't you sit down so we can tell you why were here."

"I already know."

Gibbs said but sat down anyway.

"You came to ask me for the reason why I left."

"No, actually. We came for another reason."

"So this little meeting has nothing to do with Tony? Why don't I believe you?"

"Because it has to do with Tony."

"Then you can leave just as much..."

"Fuck, Gibbs! I don't care why you're such a stupid asshole. I don't even want to know what made you leave your family! But a friend of mine is missing. And apparently he's missing because of you! So get your head out of our ass and help Tony!"

"Wait! Tony's missing?"

His eyes started to burn. What did Lil say? He thinks it's his responsibility to protect his family? Well, he fucked up great deal!

"Steve Whishaw broke out on a revenge mission so it seems. He has taken Tony and demands you to come."

Ducky's voice was calm but Gibbs knew him too well to trust that.

"I'm afraid I can't help you."

"God damnit!"

McGee started but Gibbs waved him to stop.

"This has nothing to do with Tony and me, Tim. It's just...I'm blind. What should I do? If I go there he'll shoot me in front of Tony and then he'll kill Tony. You have a bigger chance without me."

For a moment there was silence and Gibbs was quite sure that McGee was staring at him with his mouth open.

"Timothy, please, let me have a word with Jethro."

He heard a chair being moved and then footsteps towards the door. When the door was closed Ducky sighed.

"Jethro, I do want to know what happened. I think I know you well enough to say that the reasons you told Anthony are not the real reasons for your departure. When did that happen with your eyes?"

Gibbs took a deep breath. What did he have to lose? The man he loved was in the hands of a psycho.

"A few weeks before I left my doc told me that I'm gonna be blind. When I came here I did an operation that could help but there were complications. It didn't make it worse, it just made it happen faster."

He sighed.

"I couldn't put Tony through that. After all that happened...I just couldn't."

"Did you ever consider..."

"That Tony wouldn't care? Yes, Ducky, I did. That's why I left the way I did."

"Jethro, do you have any idea what you did to Tony?"

Gibbs pressed his eyes closed.

"Duck, please..."

"No, Jethro, I think you should know what you did when you were protecting your family. A few months ago Tony had a collapse. Since you left we had to force him to eat and sleep. He doesn't care about himself anymore. Jethro, if it wasn't for Dom and the baby, I'm not sure he'd still be alive."

"The baby..."

"Yes. Luckily he wasn't foolish enough to do what you told him to do. Tell me, Jethro, did you want to destroy him or are you just damn stupid?"

Gibbs fought hard but couldn't hold back the single tear that ran down his cheek.

"I had to say it or he wouldn't have let me go. I don't ask you to understand it, nor do I ask for your approval. Just don't tell Tony all this."

"Jethro, if you don't help us I won't have the opportunity. Your son has already lost one father. Don't let him the only one left."

Gibbs nodded slowly.
End Notes:
Same as before
Chapter 12 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Talks...
"Hey, Steve, I was thinking."

"Shocking."

The huge man rolled his eyes but turned to his ex still tied to the chair. Tony had been talking all the time since he had woken up. He had been tempted to knock him out but he need him to be fine.

"Haven't you noticed that you have a tiny problem in your plan?"

"Why did I want to marry you?"

"No idea, but that's not the point."

"And what would be the point?"

Tony tilted his head to one side, then to the other and then took a deep breath, annoyingly slowly.

"Did you ever think about it that as long as you're hiding here doing nothing they couldn't contact you even if they did found Gibbs?"

Steve stopped in his pacing and turned to Tony. He knelt down in front of him.

"That's a trick, isn't it?"

"You know, I think that's why you wanted to marry me. Because we already talked as if we were married for ages. I mean, I say something and you ain't listen."

Steve shook his head and continued pacing.

"You know, it's not as if I could do you any harm. Couldn't defend myself the last time, and by now I don't have a snowball's chance in hell against you."

"You stay tied the chair."

"Kinky."

Steve closed his eyes in despair and just kept going.






"This is going to be very difficult."

He sighed annoyed when he got no answer.

"You're not talking to me, or what?"

"Wouldn't know about what. You're here to help us with Tony. Then you can go where ever you want."

Gibbs licked his lips at the harsh words of the young man. Apparently being protective about their people wasn't just in his personality.

"You teached them to be like that. Can't hold it against them now."

Ducky said as if he'd been reading Gibbs' mind. Some answers came to the ex-Marine's mind but he decided against it. If the whole team was pissed with him it would be easier to make a fast exit later. The elevator came to a halt and he heard the ping of the doors. He grapped the handle of his cain a bit tighter and then walked into the office. It was strange. While he knew the way to his former desk he felt strangely unsteady and he knew Ducky was right next to him to guide him if necessary. He couldn't explain it. It was as if he could feel the elder man's aura, almost like a colour, green, the only thing in the darkness. Slightly in front of him there was dark blue dust and as he came closer to the workstation of Ziva he saw a light yellow glim...no, he didn't see that. His other senses noticed something there and his brain tried to make up for the lack of vision. Yeah, that it had to be.

"Oh...my..god..."

Low whisperes ran around the room and he felt all eyes on him. Did they had to bring him here? Where everybody knew him as the unvurnable bastard he once once?

"Gibbs...what..."

"I'm blind, Ziva. Could we move on?"

"PA!"

"Ducky!"

Before he could do anything he had something heavy hanging on him. He knelt down, finding the way by taking the boy by the shoulders.

"Hey, Dom."

"Pa...where have you been? Are you back now? Why...why are you wearing these glasses? And the...cain?"

"Champ, I'm blind. I need the cain to know where I'm walking."

"Blind? When did that happen?"

"A few months ago. I'm really sorry that I wasn't there, Dom. Really sorry."

"But now you're back."

He searched the boy's head with his hand, noting that he had grown a few inches and kissed his head.

"Dom, what are you doing up here? Aren't you supposed to be with Abby?"

"He is with me."

Gibbs winced at the pissed of tone above of him. "Looking" up from the turqouise light in front of him to the dark purple he forced himself a smile on his face. Even without vision he knew that he didn't receive one in return.

"Ducky, take Dom down with you, ok?"

"But I want to stay with Pa, Timmy! I haven't seen him in so long!"

The small boy hugged Gibbs hard enough to nearly knock him over. His father couldn't help but laugh.

"No, champ. Go with Ducky. We have some work to do."

He was hugged again and then he saw the green and smaller turqouise forms leave. He stood wincing as his knees protested.

"Abby, if you want to go all over me, could we do that in your lab? There's no need for the whole office to hear it."

"C'mon. Got to show you something anyway. McGee!"

He waited until Agent Lee was next to him.

"Could you lend me your elbow?"

"Sure, sir."

He took it thankfully. No way in hell he would have asked one of his old team. He found himself at the back of the elevator and then in the lab and according to the silence he knew everybody was staring at him.

"Why don't you just go over me so we're done?"

"That'd take hours."

Abby answered dryly.

"Yeah, so then let's get..."

"What the hell were you thinking, Gibbs? Letting Tony and Dom down! Leaving him while he's pregnant! God damnit! Leaving them at all! I've known you're a bastard, I've known you're egoistic and stubborn! But what the hell made you do that?"

Gibbs waited a few seconds to make sure she would listen.

"Abby, nothing I might say can change your oppinion. Because you will never understand what I feel. Not because you don't want to, but because you didn't have to go through what I had to go through. My childhood was far from perfect. I lost the family I never dreamt of. I wasn't here to protect my family because I had to fight the battle for someone else. Eight months ago I got the diagnosis that I was going to be blind within the next six months. The chances of healing were small. Back then I knew I would never see my son at his graduation. I wouldn't see Tony dance with our daughter-in-law, or son-in-law. And I knew I would never be able to protect them. To help them if anything happens. If Dom falls down I wouldn't be able to put a band-aid on the wound. I wouldn't be able to bring him to the hospital if he had to go there. I knew I would need help to make myself something to eat, at least in the beginning. I wouldn't be able to go anywhere further than I could walk by myself. I wouldn't be able to work anymore, neither I'd be a big help at home. All I would have been for Tony and Dom was a burden. Emotionally aswell as physically. I never needed help. I never asked for help. I don't want to put my weight on others. I had to go."

His statement was followed by a thick silence. He sighed deeply and ran his hand through his hair.

"Listen, just...let's get Tony back save, ok?"

"So you do still care about him?"

Gibbs sighed.

"Of course I still care about him, Abby. All I was thinking about in the last months was Tony and Dom...I miss them...like hell."
End Notes:
The sequence with Tony and Steve turned out more funny than angsty but somehow I think it was closer to Tony's character than anything else.
Chapter 13 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
A new Problem arises.
"Dom will stay the night with Ziva. You're sure you want to do this?"

Gibbs grapped the handle above his door a little tighter. He knew McGee wasn't driving as he had been but without sight he hated driving.

"I have to go there...I...I need to be there."

"Ok..."

McGee parked the car and guided Gibbs until the older man knew the way. Letting his hand rest on the door knob he heard a thud behind him and turned.

"Tim?...McGee?"

"Hello, Gibbs."

He heard wishpered in his ear and felt the cold metall of the business end of a sig against his back.

"A nice present from your toy boy, isn't it? I thought it would be more difficult to get you, though..."

"Not really fair, isn't it, Steve? You're taking advantage of a blind man."

A chuckle that cold that it freezed the blood in his veins sounded from the other man.

"I'm so sorry, Gibbs...not. Now c'mon."








"You know...this was better when I planned it. I was prepared that you don't want to look. I didn't know that you can't."

Gibbs didn't really listen to Steve. He knew he was trying to manipulate him. Maybe he was blind, but he was still Leroy Jethro Gibbs. And no-one played with him.

"I guess I'll just have to tell you what you would see if you weren't blind. This, my friend, is the former residence of Alexandria Police Department. They moved on to a better neighbourhood and nothing's left here. The house is too old. No-one wants it...no-one comes here anymore. But now comes the good part. The room we are in. You would recognize it immidiatly if you saw it. It's the old interrogation room. We are..."

"We're in observation and Tony's in interrogation."

"Were you cheating on me?"

"Nope."

Gibbs stared ahead. A glowing red light came floading towards him and it filled him with a long missed warmth. A bit of pink was at the core of the oval. Gibbs bit back the tears swelling in his eyes.

"He's tied to a chair. It's barely been a day now...I thought they'd need longer to find you...or me to get you...anyway, he's fine...for now."

Gibbs felt a shift of air and heard rustle and knew Steve approached him. Standing directly next to him.

"He said you left him. That true? You didn't want that brat of him. But you're here. I got you at your house. Am I missing out on something here?"

"No. If he dies I'll have to take Dom."

"And who'd want that, right?"

Gibbs nodded and hoped his damn tears would stay put. Ironically that his eyes didn't work the way they should but his tear canals did.




"McGee! Why the hell aren't you answering your phone? I tried to call you for over ten minutes."

"And you didn't come up with the idea to check on me? Gibbs really screwed *you* up, Ziva."

McGee answered annoyed as he collected himself up the ground.

"Get to the office...come to Tony's house with the truck. That bastard now has Gibbs aswell. And I think I know now how he got Tony."

He knelt down and examined the arrow that apparently had been what had stung in his neck before he had faded out. He had fucked up royally. How was he going to explain it that not only Tony but also Gibbs are in the hand of this psycho?





Two hours later they sat in a conference room. McGee had, unwillingly, asked Fornell for help and the older man had agreed without so much as a word.

"Ok, any ideas where he could be?"

McGee asked but everybody shook their heads.

"What does he want? Does he really want to kill Gibbs in front of Tony?"

"I think he'd rather kill Tony in front of Gibbs."

Fornell corrected as he paced up and down.

"But he's blind. He can't see a thing of what Steve's doing to Tony."

Michele said.

"True, but we didn't know Gibbs was blind until we saw him yesterday and Steve was in prison. He obviously had no idea that Gibbs had not only quit but also left Tony, so how should he know that Gibbs' blind?"

They all nodded at Abby's statement.

"He could still be anywhere. He can kill one and let the other watch everywhere."

"Wait...Gibbs...Gibbs did the interrogation. He was really hard on Whishaw, the hardest interrogation I've ever seen."

"That's not bringing us any further, Fornell."

McGee said but Abby raised her hand.

"Wait...in an interrogation room you can only see through the window from one side. It would be "better" to die when the one you love is there. So, in an interrogation room the one could watch while the other has no idea that he's there."

"Where the hell should he do that?"

Abby sighed.

"I guess that means more research."

"Abby, try to find any location he could choose. I think this interrogation idea is good. Lee and Ziva, check on any living relatives or friends he could contact. Fornell, I think we should go into the prison he'd been."

The FBI Agent nodded and they spread.
End Notes:
Same...
Chapter 14 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
The End?
"Agent Fornell, it has been a while."

"Something between yesterday and ten to fifteen years, I would say."

The young man smiled as the two Agent sat opposite of him.

"My lawyer tries to get me out of here still but nothing."

"It was a hard case."

Fornell agreed but noticed the look McGee gave him.

"Mr. Steward, this is Special Agent McGee, NCIS."

"McGee...I think I heard that name before."

"Maybe from your cell-mate. Steve Whishaw."

"Possible...that's why you came? Cause Steve made a run for the hills?"

McGee nodded and took out his note pad.

"Mr. Steward, did Steve tell you anything about his plan to break out? Or what he was going to do to after it."

"Steve wasn't really talkative. But what I got is that he was really pissed with the guy who brought him here. I got him talking a bit when I told him about you...he knew your name. The other name was...Gibbs, I think...yeah, he said that it was the guy who knocked up his fiancée. Now I know where I know your name from! He mentioned you as one of his fiancée's coworker."

He smiled at McGee who couldn't really return the smile although that guy seemed trustable.

"So, what did he say about Gibbs."

Steward looked at Fornell and then at McGee.

"He said if he ever got the possibility he'd kill him...but lots of people say that and don't mean it."

"Yeah, but people who don't mean it don't take that person hostage."

His eyes went wide.

"Listen, if I knew anything I'd tell you....Steve was...like I said he didn't talk much...but in his sleep."

"What did he say in his sleep?"

"Weird stuff...he kept asking things like "Can you see him?" and said "He'll never know you were here.", nothing that really made sense to me."

"But to us. Thanks, Steward."

Fornell shook the other man's hand.

"I'll see what I can do for you."










"McGee!"

Abby started but Ziva went over her.

"McGee! I've found a sister of Whishaw. She changed her name but kept visiting her brother in the last seven years. The last visit was two days before he broke out."

"I've found..."

"Check on the sister with Lee..."

"MCGEE!"

"What, Abby?"

"I have found a possible location!"

She turned to the plasma screen and put a picture on it.

"This is the former residence of Alexandria Police Department. They moved about six months ago and now the building is abondoned. There would be an interrogation room!"

"You don't think a former Police Department is somehow secured?"

"It's not in the best neighbourhood. I'm sure if anybody saw somebody go in there they would think it's some homeless looking for a place to sleep."

Fornell and McGee changed a look.

"Grap your gear!"










Gibbs winced as he heard the clash of a fist against a jaw yet again. For the last thirty minutes it was the only sound except the surpressed cries of pain. By now there was barely a hard breath when another blow hit. The red light started to dim and pathetically he reached out only to touch the cold glass.

"Hold on, Tony. Keep fighting."

He whispered although he knew he couldn't hear him. As from a big distance he heard footsteps and then a door crash down.

"NCIS! FREEZE!"

Ziva's voice suddenly sounded like an angel to him but then there were three or four shots, shortly after eachother and then a stunning silence. He felt somebody helping him up. He could make out that somebody was talking to him but not who it was or what they were saying.

"Tony...how's Tony? What happened?"

"Gibbs, calm down."

"Tony! I...I can't see him!"

He squinted into the darkness but could find the red light leaving him alone in the darkness.
End Notes:
Wanted to end this so I can go over to the angsty part.
Chapter 15 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Will there be light in Jethro's life again?
There was only silence and darkness. His state of mind seemed to influence his senses and he didn't even hear anything around him. It had been hours since Fornell had brought him here, and almost the same since he sat in this chair. And about the same time he tried to figure out what he should say. What could explain what he had done? He wasn't even sure if he really should go in there. If there was an "in there". He hadn't talked to anybody yet. He didn't know if his husband was still alive. And his daughter.

He let his head fall back with a soft thud against the wall. His daughter. He hadn't believe he would ever call a girl his daughter again. But yet he knew that the child growing in Tony was nothing else. A new wave of panic hit him as he realized that he could have lost them already. His hands began to shake and sobs escaped his throat as somebody caught him in his arms.

"It's ok, Jethro."

He heard the whisper and for the tinies part of a second his brain made a wrong connection and he thought it was Tony. But then the words were repeated and he recognized the scottish accent and the voice of his old friend.

"Ducky..."

"He's fine, Jethro. He just came out of surgery. The bullet only penetrated his shoulder and he didn't lose too much blood."

"The baby? Is she alright?"

He felt the arms vanish but a hand on his shoulder.

"How do you know it's a girl? No-one knew. Not even Tony."

"I saw her...she was pink...a small pink oval in the red."

The hand on is shoulder moved to his back.

"The baby is fine so far. After all the stress they had to do an Caesarean section but she will be alright."

Gibbs buried his face in his hands.

"I can't go in there, Ducky."

"Oh, you will, Jethro. Even if I have to drag you in there you will explain to Anthony why you left!"

Suddenly Ducky's voice was hard and Gibbs knew better than to argue against it.






Tony's mind slowly came to his body, at least he felt like that. Suddenly he was very aware of the sling around his arm and the cables and tubes around his body. He didn't really feel any pain but he knew that would come later. Though to open his eyes only worked with some effort. He blinked against the light and once his eyes had adjusted he saw him sitting at the bed. Looking straight into the face he hadn't thought he'd see again soon his breath became a little harder. Shades hid the cold blue eyes and some part of him was happy about that. For a few minutes he just lay there and stared at the man who certainly was staring back at him.

"Jeeze, Jethro..."

The other man startled and suddenly Tony wasn't sure he'd been staring back.

"Don't you have anything to say?"

"I didn't know you're awake."

Gibbs' voice was low and slightly raspy. Tony saw a hand reach out for his but he pulled back.

"What? You think you can just come back? You think only because you're here now everything is forgotten?"

The older man slowly shook his head.

"I don't think that."

"And what the hell is it with those glasses?! Can't you take them off?"

Tony saw Gibbs slowly reach for the shades.

"Don't be too shocked."

He took them off and looked at some point near Tony's face. The younger man stared at him in disbelieve.

"What...what are those scars?"

"I had to take an operation. A few months ago."

"For what?"

"So I don't turn blind. Obviously...it didn't work."

Gibbs smiled a sour smile but Tony tried to sit up. Gibbs apparently heard the rustle of the sheets since he put a hand on Tony's shoulder.

"You should rest, Tony."

"What happened?"

"When I got my eyes checked my doctor told me that I was going to be blind. I couldn't tell you. With all the problems we already had...and when you told me you're pregnant...I'm so sorry, Tony. If...if there was anything I could say...or do...I would do everything to make it up to you. To show you that I didn't mean anything of what I said. But I can't...I still love you like I did the day we married. I missed you and the little one...and I already missed our daughter although she wasn't even born..."

"Wait...we have a daughter?"

Tony put his hand unconciously on top of Gibbs', but it felt so right.

"Yeah. They had to take her out but Ducky said she's fine. Ten toes, ten fingers, so I heard."

"How does she look like?"

Gibbs entwined his fingers with Tony's.

"I was hoping you'd tell me that."

Tony looked down at their hands.

"You never wanted me to do the abortion? You want me and our children?"

Gibbs wiped away the tear that escaped his eye.

"Tony..."

"I will tell you what she looks like. Every day I will tell you what you need to see. And if you weren't such a stupid bastard, you'd know that I'd do that for you."

Gibbs smiled shaky and felt himself pulled down by the collar for a soft kiss.
End Notes:
Quite angsty chapter but not the worst of this fic. So much more to come...
Chapter 16 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Everything seems to be calming down, but once they're back in reality Tony realizes that he some thinking to do first.
A day later Ducky brought Tony and Gibbs to the infant station. The whole time Tony held Gibbs‘ hand as if he feared he would go away as soon as he'd let go. Now they stood in front of the glass, Tony sitting in a wheel chair.

„She's beautiful."

„I take your word for it...what do you want to call her?"

„Kate."

Tony's answer came immidiate.

„Caitlyn Shannon."

He added and Gibbs smiled.

„That's a nice name."

He squeezed Tony's hand.

„I love you."

He felt soft lips on his knuckles so light it almost wasn't there.

„Love you, too."

Soft footsteps announced the arrival of two guests.

„Hey, somebody wants to see his sister."

Abby said and Gibbs picked up Dom carefully.

„Can you see her? What does she look like?"

„She's small...like a doll."

The two men laughed softly.

„Pa? You're not going away again, right?"

„No, Champ. I'm not going away."

He hugged his son tightly.





A week later.


Tony was released but had to take it slow. Kate was still in the hospital and Tony barely wanted to leave the infant station but on the other hand that way they had some time to adjust. The younger man watched as Gibbs walked away the house, counting steps and stairs but yet he barely had problems moving around. After Tony had put away some laundry he noticed that Gibbs wasn't in the bedroom anymore. Frowning he went through the house but then only one room was left. He took the stairs slowly, making sure he made enough sounds.

„Hey, what you're doing down here?"

„You kept her."

Gibbs turned his head into Tony's general direction.

„Of course I kept her. I have a lot of memories with her...and she's a hell lot of wood."

Gibbs grinned but it seemed like a mask. When the silence streched to long he turned away from his boat.

„Something wrong, Tony?"

„We haven't really talked about anything yet, Jethro."

Gibbs nodded and slowly walked to the workbench. Tony caught his hand somewhere on the way and lead him over.

„Where do you wanna start?"

Tony sighed and tried to find something to say that didn't sound completely pathetic.

„I really want you to come back home to us. Even if it's only for Dom..."

„I don't want to come home for Dom...no, wait, that came out the wrong way...I don't want to come home only for Dom. Tony, I really want to be your partner again. I want to be your lover, your friend, Dom and Kate's father. Tell me what I have to do so I can be all that."

Tony stood from the workbench and walk a bit into the basement. Suddenly to be close to Gibbs made him feel claustrophobic.

„I don't know, Jethro! I don't know what you have to do. All the time I keep telling myself that you're back! That our life is going to be good now. But there's this voice in my head. It tells me that I'll never have a good life. That nothing is going to be as it was. I try to feel secure again but I feel like falling and there's nothing holding me. I lie in our bed and it feels as if you aren't there. I don't feel like I did, Jethro. I want that feeling back. I want to feel home again. I want to feel alive and not just not dead."

Gibbs frowned. He wanted to stand up but he wasn't sure his feet would carry him right now.

„Tony, I don't understand..."

„Of course you don't. You weren't there. You haven't seen me..."

Gibbs could hear tears in Tony's voice and now he stood up. Slowly he approached the younger man.

„I wanted to kill myself, for God's sake! Jethro, I had the gun in my hand!"

Gibbs reached out but as his hand touched his younger lover's forearm it was pulled back.

„Never...nobody had ever such an effect on me. Nobody ever got me down like that. Not even my father. I don't want you to have such a power over me."

„So, you don't really want me to come back."

Tony closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths.

„I...I don't know what I want, Jethro. On the one hand I think I don't want you back on the other hand I know that I need you. Why did you have to hurt me so much? You left me broken, Jethro...I don't know if I can make it..."

The last he said that low that Gibbs nearly didn't get it. But since he did he was there in a heart beat and grapped his partner's arms hard, not caring if he hurt him.

„Tony, do never think like that again. We will make it, got me? We have to make it. All I want to do is to come home to you and our family but we can take it slow, if that is what you want. I could ask Ducky if I can move in at his house for a while. Maybe find myself an apartment and we'll date. How does that sound?"

„Maybe that's a good idea..."

Tony said. Gibbs surpressed the tears as he realized just how much damage he had done to his partner.

„Ok...I'll just..."

He bit his lips, unsure what to with himself.

„I'll go up and call Ducky...maybe he can even pick me up..."

Tony watched the older man slowly walk up the stairs. Why was he doing that? Why was he pushing the man he loved away? He ran his hand through his hair. He didn't even make sense to himself anymore.
End Notes:
I still don't have somebody betaing this. I would have, but that would only mean that it takes even longer before I can post it. So if you find any mistakes, feel free to keep them. As usually I'm begging for feedback and thanking everybody involved in the writing process as creative help.
Chapter 17 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Gibbs has to deal with the uncertainty of Tony.
„Thanks for...well, everything, Ducky."

Gibbs said as he put down his suitcase in the guest room.

„Not to mention, Jethro. I understand Tony needs some time?!"

„Is that a question or a statement...yeah, Tony just needs time...I hope..."

The older man put his hand reassuring on Gibbs‘ shoulder sitting him on the bed and taking the chair next to it.

„You want to talk about it?"

Gibbs ran his hand over his face and sighed.

„I know that it was the right thing to come back. I know that it would have killed me to go back...and now I know it would have killed Tony. But...if he isn't sure he wants me back...Ducky, I don't know what I can do."

„Well, my friend, I guess you will have to show him that you love him."

„I never really was good at that."

Ducky smiled slightly.

„Yes, but sometimes the try is worth just as much. Tony missed you a lot and he already started to forgive you."

Gibbs rubbed his hands against eachother.

„Ducky...I'm worried about Tony. I think...he said...did you know that he thought about killling himself?"

The silence was all Gibbs needed as an answer.

„He hasn't told me that. But I can't deny that he could have been suicidal. I think none of us wanted to admit that he might not be strong enough to deal with it."

„I'm worried that he still is. He seems to be...critical. I would prefer to be there. To watch after him."

„Jethro, it wouldn't do any good to put pressure on him right now."

Gibbs nodded though he didn't know how he should get through the next weeks.







„I don't know if that's a good idea, Abby."

Gibbs said and beat her hand away as she tried to straighten his tie.

„It is a good idea. And you look gorgeous."

„Sure, I don't look like Tommy Lee Jones in Men In Black?"

Abby raised her eyebrows.

„Gibbs, I'm honestly shocked that you know MIB...but then, you lived with Tony the last six years...and your tie isn't black, so no, you don't look like Tommy Lee Jones."

„What colour is my tie?"

„Red. Red tie, white shirt, black suit. You really look good, Gibbs. There's no reason to be nervous."

„Yeah, except that this is my first date with Tony. And I don't see the plate in front of me. God, Abby, he'll notice how much work it is to go out with me. He'll have to read me the menu and..."

She swatted his hand away from his tie and straightened it herself.

„Stop worrying, Gibbs. Tony knows that your blind. And he already loves you. You don't have to impress him. This is to show him how much you love him."

He took a deep breath.

„Yeah…I'll just have to show him that I care. And I'll have to take it slow...give him time...yeah...I can do that."

„You sure?"

„Abby, are you kidding? All I wanna do is go back to that house, take Tony to bed and show him on my way how much I love him! But Tony wants to take it slow, so that's what I'm doing. I'll take it slow."

They turned as there was a knock on the door. Ducky entered giving Gibbs an once over and a pat on the shoulder.

„If your manners tonight are as good as your outfit there's nothing to worry about. Anyway, the young man who is escording you tonight arrived and is awaiting you in the lobby."

Ducky gave Abby a nod and the young goth grinned.

„Hey, Duck, are you wearing a black tuxedo with a light grey vest and a dark grey fly?"

„Em, no, Jethro, I'm wearing...why do you want to know what I'm wearing?"

„You're sounding like a scottish butler...what does Tony wear?"

Ducky took Gibbs‘ elbow to shush him out of the room.

„Wouldn't that be a good way to start conversation?"

Gibbs nodded and took his cain from Abby with a silent thank. Slowly he walked down the stairs. He heard someone standing up and turned to the sound.

„Tony."

He held out his hand unsure what to do. The younger man took the hand but then kissed him shortly on the lips.

„Jethro. You look good."

„Thanks...em...don't take this question like the beginning of cliché phone sex...but...what are you wearing?"

Tony chuckled and took Gibbs‘ hand. He put it on his suit jacket.

„It's the dark blue suit I had on when Dom turned five."

He shifted their entwined hands to his shirt.

„The light blue shirt I always wear with this suit. And the dark and light blue striped tie, you gave me for christmas last year."

„The one I tied around the DVD box Abby adviced me to give you."

Tony laughed.

„Yeah, that one. It was cute that you still gave me what was your idea."

Tony took a step closer to Gibbs and kissed him softly.

„Jethro...I know I agreed to take it slow, but I honestly don't want to. What can this dating tell me I don't already know? I love you and that you came back tells me that you love me, too. Dom is missing you, he thinks you're going away again and I don't want him to think that. And we have the chance to raise Kate together right from the beginning. You missed so much with Dom I don't want you to miss all that with Kate, too. Come home, Jethro."

Gibbs pulled Tony into his arms and felt relieved as the embrace was returned.

„God, Tony, I dreamed of it that you'd say that. Of course, I'll come. Nothing can stop me."

They kissed before they stepped out of the embrace.

„You still want to take me out for dinner?"

„There's nothing I'd have to be ashamed of, is there?"

Tony kissed him againand they left, oblivious to Ducky and Abby smiling just behind the door.
End Notes:
Still the same. Feedback!!!!
Chapter 18 by strebergeist
Author's Notes:
Finally happy?
The restaurant was one of Tony's favourites so he and Gibbs had been there before. He didn't know how used Gibbs was to the lack of vision so he thought it might be better to be somewhere he knew.

„Dante's."

Gibbs said smiling as he assoziated the smells and sounds.

„Yeah. No need to invent the wheel new if it's round and rolling, right?"

Tony said and tugged at his hand to guide him to their table. A moment later Dante, the owner himself, was at their table.

„My friends...my god, Jethro, why are you wearing shades?"

„Well, I turned blind, Dante."

„Oh, I'm sorry, my friend."

„Thanks...you brought garlic bread, didn't you?"

„Well, nothing wrong with your nose."

The older Italian laughed and pushed the basket into Gibbs‘ waiting hand. Then he gave Tony a menu, discretely taking back the second.

„Jethro..."

He started in a silent voice.

„I do have a menu in braille if you'd like to have that."

„Thanks, Dante. That'd be good."

The older man left the two alone.

„So...jesus, were we ever good at small talk?"

Gibbs asked with a soft chuckle.

„No, I don't think so. We've got an appointment tomorrow, at the hospital."

„Something wrong with Kate?"

Tony shrugged and then shook his head over himself.

„They didn't say anything so I guess not. She's supposed to come home tomorrow and I guess they want to talk to us first. Not that they could tell us anything we don't already know. I mean we raised a child before and I think we did a good job."

„We did...how's Dom holding up at school?"

Tony sighed and thanked the waitress for the two beer. He guided Gibbs‘ hand to his one and then took a sip of his own.

„Didn't manage to get him out of that councelour thing...but then...it might have been a good idea after all."

Tony noted that Gibbs hunched his shoulders slightly.

„But otherwise he's doing great. Beth said he's very active, in the good way. And he made some new friends. Not all kids there are jerks after all. Some of the parents are even quite nice. Meet them once or twice when I picked him up. Not all of them Marines, like Mike but they're ok. And Dom's going to the literatur club, I think he read more books than me already."

Gibbs smiled because he knew that Tony, in fact, was reading a lot, against common thinking. Many of his movie allusions are actually book allusions but he makes people think it's about the movie. It's easier to play dumb, people expect less of you. So, he had a hard time believing that Dom had with his almost seven years read more than Tony.

„What I'm saying is that he reads a lot."

„He comes after you."

Gibbs agreed but Tony snorted.

„Yeah, but I wonder why he doesn't play football then."

„Well, he got your intellectual side. Nothing bad about that."

„Yeah...oh and Tim and Abby try to get him into computers. He's actually pretty good but now and then your temper comes through. I was hoping he would get some of your qualities. Your temper wasn't one of them."

Gibbs grinned.

„Can't choose what you get. And you wouldn't want him to be any different."

„True. One can only hope to have a son like Dom. And I think Kate's going to be a great daughter."

„Yeah..."

Tony sighed and took another sip of his beer.

„When you were gone I realized just how much Dom looks like you. His eyes are as steel blue as yours. And he gets your nose."

They laughed.

„Well, praying didn't help then."

„Kate has your eyes aswell. You must have good genes. We'll have to tell her that there are other colour than black and brown though. I think she should spent more time with Jenny. She's wearing other things than stuff you could hide with in Iraque or not to be seen at night."

„You want a princess girl with pink dresses and flowers in her hair?"

Tony shuddered.

„God, no. I know she's only a baby but I know she's going to be a real beauty."

„She's our daughter, Tony. She could look like a dolphin and she'd be the prettiest girl we've ever seen."

„Yeah, but the good thing is she doesn't. And Abby created her picture on that computer program, you remember?"

„It was possible to create a picture of a female child from two men?"

„Apparently. Was the hell of a woman, I tell you. Long brown hair, bright blue eyes. She did remember me of Kate...except for the eyes."

„Then the name was right."

Dante came to the table again and took their orders. Somehow they managed to keep the conversation light, neither of them wanted to risk a scene in their favourite restaurante. Before they knew it it was after eleven and Dante sat on their table with two of the waiters. This wasn't unusual. In the nights they had a babysitter they came here often and Dante was a good friend of Tony since he moved to DC.

„So, Tony, tells us. How was the birth."

„Actually I was really out of it. Litterly. I had a Caesarean so there's no screaming and yelling story this time."

„Ohhhh, no cursing your man for ever touching you?"

Maria said and nudged her husband. Dante just laughed and filled five glasses with liqour.

„What is it? A girl or a boy?"

„A girl. Caitlyn Shannon."

Gibbs answered and felt Tony's hand tighten around his.

„You know you have to bring her around some time."

Maria said with a threatening finger at Tony.

„I promise, I'll bring as soon as we've settled. She's going to come home tomorrow. I spend most of the last days in the hospital just looking at her. That bastards over there didn't let me hold her."

„She was still in the brut box, Tony."

Gibbs said calmly but Tony snorted playfully.

„I „bruted" her nearly eight months, thank you very much!"






When they finally left the restaurant Gibbs wasn't sure what to do or what to say. He sat in the car silently until Tony started the car.

„You're sure you want me back at home? It's fine if you want me stay a bit longer with Ducky."

„Jethro, do you want to come?"

„Hell, yeah."

„Then it's what I want, too. I know it will never be like it was. But I want you in my bed again. And I want to raise our children with you. We'll find a way."

Gibbs startled slightly as Tony took his hand but relaxed immidiatly. When they came home Tony put the pie Maria had given them for Dom into the fridge and they went into the bedroom silently. Tony closed the door and then stopped Gibbs when he was about to take off his tie.

„Let me do that."

He kissed his partner softly and slowly opened the tie.

„Tony...?"

„It's probably the last night we have enough energy for more than a quicky in quite a while, Jethro. I want to use that."

Dropping featherlight kisses on Gibbs‘ jaw and neck he continued sensually undressing the older man. Despite his already lacking vision Gibbs closed his eyes and just relaxed. Somehow he was afraid of doing more. He didn't want to push Tony. It took Tony more time than usual to get his lover nacked, but then it probably was what he wanted. He kissed every inch of skin he exposed in an almost annoyingly slow way. After twenty minutes Gibbs was pushed onto the bed and lay back. His hand reached out and Tony grapped it somewhere.

„I'm just getting out of my cloths. Give me a moment."

He whispered and kissed the hand before he released it. A moment later the bed dipped and he reached out, this time he found Tony's chest. Moving up to his neck he pulled Tony down for a slow kiss full of love.

„I love you, Tony."

He felt him smile against his lips.

„I love you, too."

After another passionate but rather brief kiss Tony once more moved down.

„DADDY?"

The yell was followed by footsteps on the stairs. Tony quickly put on his boxers and threw Gibbs a pair aswell. Then there was fast knocking on the bedroom door. Tony checked that he and Gibbs were decent before he opened.

„Daddy, I had...Pa?"

„Hey, Champ, what's the matter?"

The bed dipped again and a moment later Gibbs was hugged by small arms.

„You're home again?"

„Yeah, Champ, I am..."

Then another set of footsteps let Gibbs frown.

„Mr. DiNozzo, you're home."

„Yeah, didn't you hear us coming home, Sarah?"

„No...I guess I fell asleep. Sorry."

„Nothing to worry about. We'll take care of what ever the problem is."

Gibbs heard the door close.

„Who was that?"

„Sarah, the nanny. Jen payed for her because they thought it would be better for me to work...I couldn't tell her that she'll have to go yet."

Gibbs tilted his head towards their son in his lap.

„Dom, why are you out of bed?"

„I had a nightmare. Can I sleep with you guys?"

„Aren't you too old for that?"

Gibbs raised his eyebrow at his son and he felt him snuggle closer. He sighed.

„Well, Tony?"

„Ok, but just tonight. And Dom, once Kate's home..."

„I know, Daddy."
End Notes:
I can't get enough feedback, you know?
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=6270