Who's Calling Tony? by Bj Jones
Summary: DiNozzo’s odd behavior makes Gibbs suspicious
Categories: Gibbs/DiNozzo Characters: None
Genre: Established relationship
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3076 Read: 16324 Published: 10/15/2004 Updated: 10/15/2004
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters from NCIS, they belong to CBS and the man who created and produces the show. I'm not making any money off them, just borrowing them and promise to give them back as soon as I’m done with them.

Beta: I can't thank her enough - Calypso

1. Who's Calling Tony? by Bj Jones

Who's Calling Tony? by Bj Jones
Author's Notes:
DiNozzo’s odd behavior makes Gibbs suspicious
~*~

"DiNozzo," Tony answered his phone, sending a sheepish smile towards Gibbs. He sighed when he heard the voice on the other side, "This isn't a really good time."

"New girl, Tony?" Kate teased from the backseat. The three of them were driving to a crime scene, in Yorktown. Navy officer found dead on the beach.

He gave her a forced smile then ducked father down into the front seat, "It's taken care of…" Tony noticed Gibbs glance, and turned towards the window his voice dropping into a whisper. "I told you, I would take care of it, don't worry. I have to go… bye." He snapped the phone shut and looked straight ahead.

"You're not supposed to be giving out your number to woman you meet at bars, DiNozzo." Gibbs glanced at the agent, then back to the road.

"Won't happen again, boss," Tony gave him a bright smile, and then turned his focus to the passing scenery.

"You better hope so," Gibbs warned, hands clutching the steering wheel.

~*~

"Hey boss, gunpowder around the wound," Tony lowered his camera, pointing out the powder stains on the navy uniform.

Gibbs kneeled down to get a closer look. "Makes it more personal," Kate commented from her position by the dead Lieutenant's feet. "He knew his killer."

"Let's get a list of his friends, subordinates, and see who is enemies were," Gibbs stood up, as he barked out orders. "Kate pull his file, see if there…" Gibbs stopped and looked at Tony, "Care to answer your phone, DiNozzo?"

DiNozzo lowered his head, cursing under his breath. He unclipped his phone, sighed when he saw the caller ID, "This really, isn't a good time." He turned his back on Gibbs and Kate and walked a few feet away.

Kate watched him; her head cocked trying to listen to the conversation. She glanced at Gibbs; he hadn't taken his eyes off Tony. His blue eyes were hard, cold as ice, his jaw set, he was pissed. She wouldn't want to be in Tony's shoes, but of course if have gave out his number to another girl, then he deserved the lecture that was pending.

Tony clicked his phone shut; he stared out towards the ocean not wanting to turn around. "Boss…" He turned took one look at Gibbs face expression and just stopped. He slipped his phone into his pocket, picked up his camera, and finished taking the pictures. He would deal with an angry Gibbs later.

~*~

Later came much too soon. The moment they pulled back into the garage, Gibbs sent Kate upstairs, holding Tony back. Tony slumped back into his seat, sending Kate a reassuring grin as she walked off.

"Look boss, I'm sorry…" Tony began explaining.

"I told you DiNozzo, not to give out your cell number out to…" Gibbs cut the young man off.

"I didn't…" Tony tried to explain.

"That's the fifth call this week, and it's only Wednesday." Gibbs voice had taken a cold tone.

Tony looked over at him, "I'm sorry." Tony reached for the door handle.

"What is going on, Tony?" Gibbs voice softened.

"Nothing," Tony smiled got out of the car and walked towards the elevator.

~*~

"So he's not telling you whose calling?" Ducky asked an enraged Gibbs.

"No, and he's gotten calls at home also. Every time he gets one he walks into another room, and closes the door." Gibbs paced back and forth across the autopsy room, as Ducky sat at his desk watching.

"Have you asked about the calls?" Ducky tried to sooth the agitated man.

"He's allusive about it, says it's nothing." Gibbs took a deep breath, his voice dropping, "Do you think he's seeing someone else?"

"No! He loves you, Jethro." Ducky stood up and walked over to the ex-marine. "Tony might be a flirt, but he isn't a cheater. Trust you're heart Jethro, what does it tell you?"

"That something is up," Gibbs answered. "And either he's too embarrassed to tell me or he's in trouble."

"He will tell you when he's ready." Ducky walked back over to his desk, "Now did I tell you what I found out about the mating habits of the Alaskan Otters?" Ducky looked back up from his desk to see Jethro walk out the door. "Guess I did."

~*~

"It's taken care of. Would I let you down? I have what you want, just be patient." Gibbs stopped when he heard Tony's voice. He backed into the shadow, hoping Tony hadn't seen him yet. He was going to find out what was going on, even if it took eavesdropping on Tony's conversations. "I'll make a run towards you on Saturday, you should have two weeks supply if you don't run through it like you did last time." Gibbs eyebrows furrowed, ‘what the hell has DiNozzo gotten himself into?' Gibbs looked up to see Tony walk further down the hallway, loosing the conversation.

He went back to his desk, and waited for Tony to return. Tony walked to his desk, sat down and started working. Gibbs couldn't tell if he was agitated or not, for all intents purposes Tony looked as if nothing was going on.

"Any phone calls DiNozzo?" Kate smirked over at Tony.

Tony smiled back, "Not today, Todd."

Gibbs frowned, ‘so now he's lying.' "DiNozzo, did you finish that report?"

"Editing it as we speak, boss," Tony looked up giving him a dazzling smile.

Gibbs's eyes narrowed, he knew Tony better than anyone. He knew the difference of each of his smiles, how his tone fluctuates depending on his mood, the brighter the smile, the more insecure.

~*~

When Gibbs woke up he knew instantaneously something was wrong. He reached over and instead of touching smooth silk-like flesh, he got cold cotton. He lifted his head up off the pillow, looked around the room, no sign of Tony. He groaned rolled over onto his back, listening for sounds of where Tony might be. He sat up, pulled on his boxers and padded towards the living room. He stopped at the edge of the hallway when he heard soft whispers.

"I'll see you on Saturday…Gibbs has his Saturday breakfast with Ducky…I won't forget, how can I, you keep calling me…You keep that up, Gibbs will get suspicious and pull my phone records…Then where will you be? I have one question…Exactly how did you get into this state? I mean it's not like you had access to it, so how all of the sudden did you get into this mess? …" Gibbs listened to Tony's soft laughter, "Should have figured…It's late, Gibbs will wake up if I'm gone too long…Maybe one day…I don't know, don't want to talk about it…Love ya'."

Gibbs heart stopped, ‘he is seeing someone else.' Gibbs heard Tony click off the phone, he wasn't sure if he should confront the young man now or later. Gibbs walked back down the hall, threw off his shorts and crawled back into bed. He felt Tony get back into bed, felt his hand brush through his hair, a soft kiss on his forehead, he heard the soft ‘I love you'. He cracked open his eyes slightly, watched as Tony settled into bed, curling next to Gibbs side. Gibbs controlled his emotions; he would confront Tony on Saturday.

~*~

Gibbs left their house at nine am like he did every other Saturday to meet up with Ducky, except this time he had cancelled the day before. Ducky was adamant that Tony wasn't cheating, that it wasn't his style, but Gibbs heard it with his own two ears. He would follow Tony and finally put the issue to rest. He just hoped this day wouldn't end in heartbreak.

He had fallen hard for one Anthony DiNozzo. He wasn't looking for any type of relationship, between three ex's he had given up on love. Then Tony walked into his life, and just stole his heart. They danced around each other for over a year. He knew Tony was interested, but he denied his own feelings and kept his distance. Then he had to get shot, and Tony had to get himself kidnapped.

Tony had come to him after the incident in the sewers, told him he was tired of hiding and kissed him. Gibbs leaned into the kiss, taking control of it, devouring Tony's mouth. Tony stepped back, breathing hard, he looked Gibbs in the eyes and told him ‘when you're ready to stop hiding, come find me.' Gibbs watched him walk away. Tony didn't make it to his car. Gibbs slipped into the elevator, hit the emergency stop, and slammed Tony against the wall.

That was six months ago, Tony moved in with him just last month. Gibbs had thought they were happy together, yeah he knew he could be a bastard at times, but not enough to send Tony to another. It was his biggest fear, the reason he ignored his feelings. Tony was a good many years younger, what would he want with an older lover? He was handsome, kind, sensitive, and sexy as hell. Tony could get anyone, why him? Gibbs almost missed Tony leaving; he was so lost in his thoughts. He watched Tony throw a bag into the passenger seat, and get into the car. Tony pulled out of the driveway, and headed east.

~*~

Gibbs followed discretely behind Tony, as he drove towards Arlington Virginia. Gibbs switched between being thankful Tony hadn't noticed him yet, to pissed that Tony was being so lax in his skills. Tony pulled up to an old Victorian style building, Gibbs pulled off to the side of the road, and watched as Tony parked and got out of the car. Gibbs got out of his car and headed towards the front door. He stopped abruptly as he read the front sign ‘Alexandria's Home for the Elderly'.

Gibbs stared at the sign, ‘what the hell?' Tony's files never mentioned a family member in a home. As a matter of fact, Mr. And Mrs. DiNozzo lived at their home in Pennsylvania, both sets of his grandparents were dead, so who could be at the home? Gibbs walked through the front door and was greeted by a nice young woman in a nurse's uniform.

"May I help you, sir?" She smiled at Gibbs.

"A friend of mine just came in, I was supposed to meet him out front, but just missed him. Can you tell me where he is?" Gibbs asked, looking around the nicely furnished foyer.

"Mr. DiNozzo?" She asked, glancing at the clipboard in her hand.

"Yes," Gibbs nodded, looking around getting a feel for the place.

"He's here to see Miss Caldwell, room number thirty-four." She glanced from her clipboard, smiling at Gibbs. "Take the stairs up to the second floor; turn right, it's the last room on the right, it over looks the grounds, beautiful room."

Gibbs nodded, taking two stairs at a time. Every step he took the worse the trepidation. He wasn't sure what he would find, and he wasn't sure what Tony would think. If Tony wasn't seeing someone on the side, was he supplying some old woman, drugs? He stood in front of room thirty-four the door was slightly ajar. He leaned closer to listen to the conversation.

"I brought you, your stash. Now, Millie this should keep you for two weeks." Tony's voice filtered through the door.

"Anthony, thank you!" An older woman's voice responded. "I don't know what I would do with out you."

"Watch Matlock like everyone else," Tony laughed.

"That old fuddy duddy. Give me that cute Texan, Nick, any day," Millie responded. "Him and that cute little Cuban, Eric, on Miami, they make me feel fifty again."

Gibbs stepped back, from the door a look of confusion on his face. ‘Texan? Cuban? Miami?' He leaned forward once again to hear what the older woman was saying, "Now you are going to keep me supplied when they start the New York show right? Gary Sinise is in it."

"Millie, I'm running out of room on my Tivo," Tony answered. "Gibbs is going to wonder about my viewing habits."

"Speaking of Agent Gibbs, when do I get to meet this man of yours?" Millie asked, her voice sounded father away.

The door opened, Gibbs took a step back then looked at a grinning Tony, "How about now?"

Gibbs walked into the small apartment. It was comfortable, homey. An older woman stood by a small kitchenette holding a teakettle, grinning. "Tony, you told me he was having breakfast with that nice Mr. Mallard."

"He was, but cancelled and decided to follow me here," Tony looked directly at Gibbs when he commented.

"You knew?" Gibbs asked, searching his lover's eyes for any sign of anger or hurt.

"You trained me well; besides never use your own car for tailing." Tony smiled as he stepped up to Gibbs, giving him a quick kiss. "I should have told you, I'm sorry." He whispered in Gibbs ear.

"I should've asked," Gibbs, whispered back his eyes showing his emotions.

"I'm sorry about the phone calls Mr. Gibbs, or can I call you Jethro?" Millie set out another place for tea. She continued not waiting for Gibbs's answer, "Tony has been so helpfully in taping my shows. You see the fuddy duddy's here won't let me watch any prime time shows in the common area. Something about it being past my bedtime, I'm seventy-five years old and can stay up as late as I want to. But no, curfew is at nine pm, can you believe that?" She looked over at the two men. "So Tony tapes the shows and I watch them on my little tv/vcr combo he got me for my birthday. Sweet man that he is," She kissed Tony on the cheek.

"Yes, ma'am he is," Gibbs smiled at Tony, who blushed.

~*~

The two men walked out towards their cars, after spending a few hours with Millie Caldwell. "So you tape CSI, CSI: Miami, and now CSI: New York for her?" Gibbs asked, "And how come I've never heard of these shows?"

Tony just looked at him eyebrow raised, "do I need to mention the small TV in your basement? The same one that has rabbit ears on it?"

Gibbs ignored the younger man, "And what the hell is the Soprano's?" Gibbs asked.

"An HBO show, that somehow she saw and is now addicted, and wants me to tape." Tony moaned, "I'm going to go broke buying video tapes."

"How do you know her?" Gibbs asked as he leaned up against Tony's car.

"She was my Latin teacher in high school. The only one who believed in me," Tony's face was a mixture of emotions. "I was failing half of my classes, but she saw through my act. It wasn't that I wasn't trying, I was bored. She encouraged me to do what I wanted to do, not what my parents wanted. She was there for all my games, helped me find the right college, and clapped the loudest when they called my name at graduation. She was there when I graduated college, when my own parents weren't. She was there when I graduated the academy. I woke up to her face when I was shot; she brought me cookies and chicken soup. I won't be the man I am today if it wasn't for her. It's the least I can do is bring her tapes of CSI." Gibbs pulled the younger man into his arms, holding him tight. Tony rarely talked about his family. This woman meant a lot to Tony, and now she meant a lot to Gibbs. It was her guidance that made the special young man in his arms, and for that he owed her.

Gibbs looked him in the eyes. "Even if I never met her I would know she was an incredible woman."

"How?" Tony smiled, blinking tears back.

"Cause you are an incredible man, that I love and trust with my life." Gibbs leaned forward giving him a quick kiss.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you what was going on. She's the only one with my cell number." Tony showed Gibbs his appreciation with a quick hug, it was rare for him to show public affection. "If I told you about her, then I would have to mention why she was the only one there for me, and I wasn't ready."

Gibbs stepped back, "now?"

"I'm ready," Tony smiled. "Let's go home."

Tony got into his car, as Gibbs walked down to his. On the front steps Millie stood watching the two men interact. She smiled, happy that her Tony had found someone. She walked back into the home, grinned at the nurse, leaned over, glancing both ways, and whispered, "I've got a date with Gil Grissom." Then giggled and headed for her room and date.


~*~

2nd Author's Note:

I have to really do this. My mom refuses to pay for cable, so I tape every week: CSI, CSI: Miami, and NCIS…. And now have to add CSI: New York… A friend accused me of dealing drugs to my mom or at least that's what it sounded like… So this idea came up and just took off … Hope you enjoyed.
End Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters from NCIS, they belong to CBS and the man who created and produces the show. I'm not making any money off them, just borrowing them and promise to give them back as soon as I’m done with them.

Beta: I can't thank her enough - Calypso
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=72