- Text Size +
Chapter 10

Mac once again woke to the pain, yet numbness in her midsection. She painfully twisted her neck round and saw 2 tubes entering her left arm, feeding up to 2 separate bags on an IV stand. One contained a thick red liquid, that she recognized all too much, and had a yellow label reading: Alexander Hospital, Virginia. Blood Bank Ser. No. 12207. ABneg" The second contained a clear substance methodically dripping as if on cue. Mac felt a presence on her right side. Chris' hand was slipped into hers and his head was rested on the bed. He was currently asleep, but looked like he hadn't for a while. The morphine relaxed her, but also numbed her usually impeccable senses. She squeezed her eyes shut, and then reopened them quickly, bringing the clock on the sterile white wall into focus. 4pm. She groaned, drowsiness taking over her again. "Shit" she moaned, shifting uncomfortable in the bed, bandage rubbing awkwardly on her smooth skin.
"Shit indeed" came a deep voice from the shadows.
"I didn't know you were here" she muttered to the older man.
"You thought wrong for once."
"I could take that as a complement" she shot back.
"It wasn't one" he said angrily.
"What did I do to piss you off today Tony, apart from the usual"
"Oh, I dunno. I thought you liked getting shot, considering how often it happens" he said sarcastically, raising his voice.
"Oh aye, it's a hobby of mine. I like the rush it gives me" she replied, hurt at his accusations. In her anger, she squeezed Chris' hand tighter, making him groggily open his eyes.
"Mac" he cried. "You're awake"
"Yes" she said shortly, pressing her hand into his even more. "Thank you honey"
"Any time sweet cheeks" he said, kissing her roughly yet gently on the lips.
"Sweet cheeks?" she asked with a laugh.
"Sorry, I'm sleep deprived" he said, slumping back into the recliner.
"Join the club" quiet voice came from the door. "I didn't know you were awake" Kate said, moving over to the bed. When she moved, Mac saw she also had a small figure with her. Matt cowered in the doorway, a look of sadness and confusion plastered on his face.
"Come here honey" Mac encouraged him, holding out her arms in a welcoming manner. After a small pause, Matt ran over and Mac attempted to lift him up onto her bed. She succeeded, but painfully. Matt threw his little arms round her neck and held on for dear life. "It's all ok" she whispered happily in his ear when she felt he droplets soak through her hospital gown.

A few weeks later Mac was at home, but still had a while before she could go on active duty. Ducky had taken the previous week to look after Mac, much to her annoyance. It was agreed that Mac was able to nearly do everything that she had to do. She was pissed that everyone was treating her like a baby, but she was told I wasn't up to her. She lounged about the apartment for the past few days, and today was no different, except for the fact that she gave in. With nothing interesting to entertain her, she decided to visit an old friend.

She arrived outside the house and walked up the front path. Sarah Sciuto did not intimidate easily, but she was nervous for some reason. Gibbs was an old friend, but still her boss. She let out a sigh before knocking on the wooden door. After a few minutes the silver haired man reluctantly opened the door. He looked tired, and was only wearing a pair of boxer shorts. His muscled chest showed sweat as he groggily rubbed his eyes. He was shocked to find the beautiful woman a his door, but even more shocked when she flashed him her famous smile and attempted to hug him. It was awkward, but more painful on the female side of it. "Mac, are you ok?" he asked concerned, slipping his arms under hers and taking most of her weight, leading her into the house.
"Yeah, just a little sore" she lied.
"Ok. It's great to see you, but I'm kind of busy" he admitted guiltily.
"Oh ok." She said disappointed. "I was bored and thought I'd drop by and check in"
"Your dad said you were shot. Again"
"Ah, yeah" she laughed it off. "I am ok though" she assured him.
"Jethro?" a female voice came from behind Mac. Mac knew what she would find, but turned around anyway.
"Director" she said through gritted teeth. "Nice to see you again. Don't mind me. I'm just leaving" she said, trying her best not to laugh at the current situation.
"I am not the Director of NCIS anymore" she told Mac, positioning herself in the doorframe, only a sheet covered her body and her short hair was all over the place. Gibbs looked embarrassed, a site Mac had never witnessed before. "And please call me Jenny Sarah"
"As long as you call me Mac" she compromised. "Well Gibbs" Mac said with a smile "I'm going now. Have fun. I'm sure you already have" she said, winking at him.
"That's not funny" he said, leading her to the door.
"Oh hell yeah it is. And Gibbs, how's the 6th divorce coming? "
"Fine" he said, gritting his teeth.
"No, but seriously. You have been married more times than I have been shot, and that's saying something, considering how often I get shot."
"Goodbye Sarah" he said, shutting the car door behind her.
"Bye Jethro" she said, calling him ‘Jethro' for the first time.
"Don't push your luck" he told her, walking back to his front door.
"Yes Sir" she said, mock saluting. She fired up the engine and headed straight back home.