- Text Size +
Chapter 11

Another week later Mac was back at the hospital before retuning to work. She buttoned up her shirt over the new bandage Chris had given her and stood up. "Bye honey, see ya later" she said, giving his a kiss on the lips and squeezing past another doctor to exit the room.
"Chris did you hear?" she asked. "Mr. Jackson woke up"
"Gerald?" Mac said, popping her head back round the door.
"Yes. Do you know him?"
"Yeah. Is he still in the same room?" she asked, excitement in her voice.
"Um, yes. His family is in now, but I'm sure you can see him"
"Hey, thanks doc" she said, running off down the hall.

She burst through the door to see Gerald sitting up on his bed. "Gerald!" Mac yelled running over and giving him a hug Abby would be proud of.
"Hey Mac" he said groggily.
"Are you ok?" she said, pulling back to look at him.
"Um, I don't know. I think I will be though" he told her as she climbed off of him.
"I'm sorry Gerald this is all my fault."
"Don't apologize, it's a sign of weakness" he said, kissing her on the forehead. "Did you get him?"
"Yup. Tony stabbed him in interrogation, but it was Mrs. Mallard who allowed us to bring him in"
"Seriously?"
"Oh yeah"
"Now I am sad I missed that." He said and she let out a little laugh. Although he had no recollection of the last few months, he knew somewhere inside that he had missed her. All his old feeling suddenly hit him in a flash. Mac now turned away from Gerald and towards his family. Just in time in fact because she once again missed the longing look the tall man laid upon her.
"Hello Mrs. Jackson, nice to meet you" Mac said, extending a friendly hand. Gerald's mother just stared at it, before taking a step forward. She quickly brought her right hand up and smacked it across Mac's face. "You did not just slap me" Mac said, pretty shocked.
"Mum!" Gerald cried.
"You getting shot is all this bitch's fault"
"Do not call her a bitch" Gerald hissed at his mother.
"Yeah, maybe so. But I admitted that and I think Gerald forgives me" Mac said, shooting daggers at the shorter woman.
"And it's not a good thing to assault a woman who can kill you 15 different ways with a paperclip" came Chris' voice from the door.
"Another excellent point" Mac said, turning her attention to her husband.
"Hey man" Gerald greeted him, shaking his hand.
"Can I borrow Mac for a minute?"
"Of course"
"Wait, what if Mac doesn't want to be borrowed?" she interrupted.
"Sorry, can I talk to you for a minute?" Chris corrected himself.
"Better" she said, seductively pulling both sides if his lab coat until they were both out of the room. Gerald evaded his eyes and looked down sadly. Chris was a good friend and a great guy, but Gerald couldn't help being jealous of him. When he looked up again, he saw his brother looking at him with a big grin on his face to say ‘Ooh, now I know who your crush was'. Outside, Chris and Mac sat down on a vacant bench.
"First off, you shouldn't have ran and jumped like that, you aren't back to full strength yet"
"Sorry hun, I was excited"
"Yeah, I know, but I want you to be ok."
"Aw, so sweet" she said, giving him a quick kiss on the lips.
"And second, we still on for weekend away this weekend?"
"If you call your high school reunion a weekend away then yeah"
"Flights to New Orleans leaves Friday night at 7 from Dulles, reunion is on Saturday night."
"Tony watching Matt?"
"Yeah, and we get the twins when they go away in a fortnight"
"Great, can't wait. Now I gotta get to work before Tony gets himself all worked up again"
"Bye, see you tonight"
"And Chris, keep an eye on Gerald for me"
"Anything" she said as he watched her enter the elevator and disappear from sight.