- Text Size +
Chapter 13

Mac descended the stairs to find Chris already amerced in a crowd of other guys. She let out a chuckle at her husbands popularity and opted to check out the bar. She sat down on a stool beside 2 other woman and ordered a coke. The barman was younger than her with long blond hair and brown eyes. He only beat out Mac by a few inches in the height department as he nodded at her order and turned around to pour it. Mac turned to the two other people at the bar. They both wore dresses, like herself, and both had a glass in their hands. The one standing with her back to the bar and leaning against the bar itself had short blond hair and wore a baby blue dress. The other was sitting, also back to the bar, in a purple dress which fell to the floor had shoulder length, light brown hair. Both contrasted to Mac's solid black attire. The baby blue seemed weak compared to the black number and the light hair was the opposite to Mac's long dark brown. Mac's onset was once again accented by the eyeliner and mascara highlighting her deep blue eyes. In Chris' own words, she was "A sight for sore eyes." She turned back to the barman when she heard a glass placed on the wooden bar top. "Thanks. What do I owe you?"
"Ah, this first one is on the house for a beautiful woman." He said, plastering on a smile.
"That's sweet, but I'm married." She told him, placing her left hand on the bar.
"That doesn't matter," he said, moving closer to Mac.
"I would take it." The brunette started. "A free drink from my little brother is a rare thing,."
"Well ok then. Toda." She thanked him, picked up the glass with a smile. "So you know this place?" she asked the other woman.
"Yeah. My brother, who is also the barman tonight, owns this club. I organized the reunion and he said I can use it. I'm Melissa Hunter." She said, sticking out a hand. "What can I call you my Scottish friend?" she asked, picking up on her accent.
"Mac" she said, shaking her hand.
"And this is Annie." Melissa introduced her blond friend.
"Hey." Mac greeted her, also shaking her hand.
"Welcome to the geek-squad." She aid embarrassed. "We understand if you want to leave and join the ‘popular' girls." She told Mac, not making eye contact but instead looked at her shoes.
"Nah, I'm a geek and right at home." She said with a smile.
"No, look at you. What kind of geek are you then?" she asked suspiciously. "Maths? Band? Science? English?" she asked, placing her hands on her hips.
"All of the above, and don't doubt me. I really am."
"OK then." She backed off; a little threatened by Mac's commanding tone. "So I take it you are here with someone. I would remember if you came to this school. Someone that geeky." She joked. Mac let out a laugh before replying.
"Yeah, I am here with my husband. Ch…" Mac began but was interrupted.
"Oh my god look." Annie spoke for he first time. "It's Nikki Horton."
"Who?" Mac asked, spinning around and following Mac's line of sight.
"Used to be the most popular girl in school. Dated the greatest guy that ever lived and didn't deserve a bit of him." Melissa told her, and Mac picked up the jealous tone in her voice. She caught where both women were staring and spotted the woman, but was still puzzled to why they were jealous. Nikki Horton could have been pretty if she hadn't been plastered in makeup. She was slightly chubby, but Mac had the feeling she hadn't been in high school. The two women had their faces as the blond approached the bar. Mac also turned round and took a swig from her glass. Mac could feel Nikki Horton breathing down the back of her neck.
"Can I help you with something?" Mac asked without turning round.
"Move." She said as if she had control.
"How ‘bout no?" Mac said, turning round to face her,
"I am going to the bar." She said, attempting to stare Mac down.
"That's nice to know." She told her, sarcastically feigning interest. "Well go do it over there." She said, pointing to an open spot in the bar.
"I said move now bitch!" she yelled, trying to gain control. Mac snapped and jumped up from her stool. Mac grabbed her arm and twisted it behind Horton's back., slamming her onto the bar face first.
"I am fully capable and in the mood to kick the shit out of you [i]bitch[/i]"
"What the fuck!" she screamed, but was not heard over the music.
"Do not piss me off. Are we clear?" she asked, but found no reply. She pulled her arm tighter. "Are we clea…"
"Crystal!" she interjected with a hiss.
"Good" Mac said, letting her go. The three of them watched as she disappeared back into the crowd.
"Wow. You just did what I wanted to do for 25 years." Melissa stuttered.
"What can I say, subtlety isn't my best feature." She said, sitting down again and taking another drink. "So, who was her boyfriend in school that you were in love with?" she asked, looking Melissa in the eye.
"The captain of the hockey team. The hottest, sweetest and coolest guy that I ever met. Chris Sciuto." She said dreamily and Mac only just managed to stop herself from spraying her drink all over the bar."
"You had a crush on him?" Mac asked a sly smile on her face.
"No, I did actually physically love him. But he never gave me a second look." She told Mac disappointed.
"I'm sure that's not true." Mac said, trying not to choke.
"Well not in any other way than a friend. And I'll bet Nikki is gonna try and get him back tonight."
"Damn, I'm glad I brought my gun." Mac muttered under her breath.
"What?" Annie asked.
"Nothing, continue." Mac recovered, gesturing towards Melissa.
"Well I got up my courage and I was gonna finally tell him. But he has a bloody wife. I don't know why I am surprised though."
"Well that sucks for you." Mac said, not sure how to reply.
"Urg, I bet she is one of the popular girls. You know. 6 foot, long blond hair, practically anorexic." Melissa scoffed.
"Nah, I don't think so" Mac suggested. "I think he would go for brunettes."
"Oh shit, he's coming over." Melissa shrieked in excitement. "Play it cool. She told herself, turning back to the bar.
"I was right." Mac said to herself. "This is gonna be a very long night."