- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
After a party, a woman is on her way home, but someone makes sure she doesn't get there.
It was late at night and the wind was howling through the trees at a very threatening speed. It was raining heavily and tonight was the night of the new moon so the whole park was cast into darkness. A shadowed figure crept to the side of the park and ducked behind a bush, hidden from sight. The figure was watching a door in the street in front of him and waiting for something. A black Lexus was parked outside the door on the curb. A street lamp slightly further up the road was blinking and for seconds at a time, the tiniest bit of light fell on the figures face. You could tell the figure was a man from the slight trace of moustache on his upper lip; bristly and rough, like only a man's stubble could be. Dark brown eyes peered out from under a large dark hood, scanning the street for life, and a large nose protruded out. He waited for what seemed hours, without making any movement at all, constantly watching the door across the street. Watching and waiting. Finally, the door opened and a bright yellow light spilled out onto the tarmac outside. Four young women came out of he door laughing and joking. All of them wearing some form of stilettos, and they were all dripping in jewellery. One of the woman was wearing a long dress, black so that it hid smallest of bulges at her waist. She had long flowing red hair that tickled the small of her back. Two of the other women had brown hair and the other was bottle blonde with a Monroe style cut. The first brunette was wearing an emerald green dress and held a black sequined bag in her left hand. The second was wearing a blood red cocktail dress and large rhinestone earrings hung from her ears.

"That was a great party!" said woman in emerald green.

"It was sooo good," agreed the lady with the earrings. "It was such a good idea to throw a cocktail party Trudy! I feel so posh!" The lady with the Monroe cut smiled.

"Well it was Sara's idea," she said looking at the redhead.

"Don't look at me!" They all laughed. "Anyway, I've got to be going now, Jake will be waiting for me"

"Are you sure you don't want us to give you a lift home?" said the emerald green woman.

"Yeah" both girls looked unsure "Look its only two blocks. I'll be fine. Besides I need to work off the last of this baby weight," she said smiling as she patted her stomach. The other women just looked her as if she was crazy. It was the woman in green that spoke first.

"Whatever Sara, you only had Jacob three months ago and you still look better than any of us" The redhead blushed. A man called out from in the house.

"Trudy?"

"That's me" said the lady with the Monroe cut "look, thanks all of you for coming. Its been great having you all round" A round of hugs took place and then the woman retreated back into the house and the door closed.

"Are you sure Sara, its no trouble dropping you off," said the emerald green woman "I just feel so bad…"

"Well don't," replied Sara forcefully "I really have to go now. I'll see you all tomorrow at the lunch club" Another round of hugs and still looking unconvinced, the two brunettes got into the car. As the Lexus pulled out of the street, Sara turned and started walking the other direction. She smiled as she walked. In five minutes she would be her little boy. As much as she had enjoyed tonight, she had found it hard being away from him. He was only three months old after all. As she walked she looked to her right and thought she saw a movement in the bushes. Probably a rabbit of something' and went back to thinking about her son. She turned the corner carried on walking. ‘Pat…pat…pat' She turned round quickly but there was nothing there. ‘Strange, I could have swore I heard footsteps' she thought and began to walk quicker. ‘Pat…pat…pat' She whipped round

"Is there anyone there?" she called into the darkness. No Reply. She started to walk very quickly now, almost jogging. ‘Pat…pat…pat' She began to jog. Her heart was beating through her chest. ‘Pat, pat, pat' The footsteps got quicker. Her heart was pumping now and she started to run, her breathing heavy. A loud noise rang out and the noise bounced of the houses lining the street. Her heart missed a beat and a tear ran down the girls cheek.

"shit" she said her voice trembling. She fiddled about in her bag and came to a stop looking nervously around her. She pulled out her phone, flipped it open and put it against her ear "Sa...Sara" she said trembling. She heard the voice on the other end of the phone and immediately calmed a little. "Jake" she said letting out a relieved sigh "You just gave me a heart attack" she laughed. "No, I'm fine. I'm just walking home now. I'll be two minutes. Ok. How's Jacob? uh hmm. Has he needed a feed yet? yeah…What about…" She was cut short by hand grabbing her around the face and covering her mouth. She struggled to get out of his grip as the man held her tightly and jabbed a syringe into her arm. She bit his hand and he let go for a second and she let out a high-pitched scream. He grabbed her again, recovering her mouth. Her body slumped a little and her struggling became less. He held her until she sagged in his arms and her eyes drooped. He took her in his arms and looked around. Her body was limp in his arms and her long red locks falling towards the floor. The street was empty and he crossed over and disappeared into the park. Sara's phone lay on pavement by the side of the road a voice crackled from it.

"Sara? Sara?"