- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Abby has news for a certain Probie
Kate stepped out of the elevator and brought Liam over to stand in front of the huge glass doors.

"This," she said triumphantly, "is Autopsy."

"So this is where all the bodies are brought," he said peering into the room.

"Yeah," she said smiling, "That's our M.E. Donald Mallard, but everyone calls him Ducky. He's doing an autopsy at the moment on a young woman we found today at a landfill site.

"How did she die?" he asked inquiringly.

"Well, that's what we're trying to decipher now, but we're pretty sure it was blunt force trauma. She was beaten," she added, seeing the confused look on Liam's face. "It actually one of the worst cases I've seen; there was just so much blood." Liam looked like he was going to throw up. "Maybe we'll come back and go in there tomorrow," she said, gaining a thankful look from Liam. Kate smiled and led him back to the elevator. She hadn't been good either, her first time in autopsy.

"So," Liam began, as they stepped into the elevator, "what's with you and Tony?"

"What?" Kate asked surprised, "How'd you…"

"The look Tony gave me as we left was not one that is usually given under friendly circumstances," he said.

"Oh my God; I'm sorry. He's just…overprotective."

"He should be. If I was with someone like you, I wouldn't let you go anywhere with strange men."

Kate was starting to feel uncomfortable now. "Look Liam, You're a nice guy but I'm with Tony. And I really really love him…"

"Oh my God! Do you think I'm hitting on you?" Liam asked, getting flustered "I'm so sorry…No, its Carrie who…well…"

Kate sighed in relief. "Phew," she said, "But Carrie…what's the problem? Go for it! She obviously liked you…" Kate said with a knowing smile.

"You think?" asked Liam, excited.

"I know…" Kate said. "Seriously, just go for it. Tony and I made that mistake, and wasted years not being together. Don't make the same one," she said, regret now flooding her eyes.

"Okay then," he said cheerfully. "I won't!" They both grinned happily as the lift ascended up from autopsy.

***

Carrie walked back into the bullpen looking for Gibbs, but all she found was Tony, sitting glumly behind his desk.

"What's the matter, Tony?" she asked.

"Nothing," he said, rolling a pencil from one end of the table to the other.

"Come on Tony, you can tell me," she said, dragging Kate's chair over to Tony's desk and sitting in front of him.

"There's seriously nothing wrong," he said, staring at the pencil going backward and forward.

"Is it Liam? I saw the look you gave him."

Tony slammed his hand down on top of the pencil, managing to break it in two, and the floodgates opened, "It's just Kate and I were really happy; I mean really happy. For the first time I was really happy. Then I had to go and ruin it by asking her to move in," he said angrily, still staring at the table. "We finally got back to normal, and then this stupid thing happened, and now I can't be around her knowing I'm keeping it from her. And now that guy has come at a bad time between Kate and me, and is gonna be all over her, and she's gonna be the same to him, and I'm gonna lose her…" Carrie wasn't sure but she could swear she could see tears forming in his eyes.

"You can't possibly be serious," Carrie said. "Kate would never do that to you; she's head over heels in love with you."

"Then why didn't she move in with me?" Tony asked, looking up at Carrie.

"I can't answer that," she said. "But give it time and it will all work out."

"No it won't; that just it. The more time that goes by, the worse it's gonna get."

"How come I get the feeling you're not exactly talking about Kate not moving in with you…"

"I'm not." Tony said. Abby knew, so Carrie might as well, "I found a lump."

"What! Oh my God, Tony, have you got it checked out?"

"Not yet; Abby's arranging an appointment for me."

"Let me guess, you haven't told Kate yet?"

"No…"

"Well get your act together and tell her, otherwise she will walk out on you for lying to her."

"She couldn't handle moving in with me so how is she going to handle this? I don't want her to feel committed to me out of pity."

"That's just stupid, Tony. She loves you and that's why she's staying. Now just tell her."

"I will, just give me time."

"You said yourself you haven't got time!"

Tony fell silent.

"Now just tell her already," Carrie said getting worked up. ‘Men could be so stupid sometimes.' They were interrupted at the moment by Gibbs walking down the stairs.

"What have you got for me then…" Gibbs said, but was confused by the looks of relief on Tony's face and almost anger on Carrie's. "Have I interrupted something?"

"No,"

"Yes," Carrie said, "but it doesn't matter." She gave Tony a glare and turned back to Gibbs, "Abby positively identified the body as that of Sara Hall, and is waiting on Ducky for more news."

Gibbs nodded and walked off toward the elevator, leaving Tony and Carrie to finish their argument.

***

McGee ran his fingers down Abby's back to the hollow just above her hips, where he rested his hands. Abby smiled as she kissed him

"You know…I love it…when you do that," she said between kisses. McGee just smiled and ran his fingers up and down her back once more. She shuddered with delight. McGee's hand then crept down Abby's leg and pulled her skirt up that little bit higher, his palm sliding up the outside of her thigh.

"McGee, wait…" McGee immediately removed his hand from under her skirt and placed it back around her waist, looking her in the eyes,

"What is it Abby?" he asked softly.

"There's something I have to tell you…" Abby looked at the ground. McGee reached out and tenderly touched underneath her chin, pushing her gaze upwards. He kissed her lightly on the lips.

"You know you can tell me anything."

"I know…Right, I'm just gonna come out and say it ok?"

"Just tell me, Abby; you're making me nervous."

"Okay, then…You can't get mad at me…"

"Abby," he said again softly, "just tell me."

"I'm pregnant." Silence from McGee. "Tim?"

"Say that again," he replied.

"I'm pregnant."

After a moment's pause he smiled broadly, pulling Abby into a deep passionate kiss. He pulled away, "That is the best news I've heard all day!" he said excitedly, his face falling slightly at the sight of Abby. "Are you not happy about this?"

"Yes, I am. It's just…a shock," she said choosing her words carefully.

"Smile then! This is great news," he said laughing loudly. He hugged Abby tightly, lifting her off the ground and twisting her round in the air. Abby couldn't help but giggle. McGee set her back down on the ground and looked deeply into her eyes. He saw a tear fall down her cheek, "Abby, what's the matter?" he asked with concern.

Abby smiled, "Nothing," she laughed, quickly brushing the tear aside. "I'm just so happy!"

McGee grinned back and they kissed again, which quickly turned into another passionate embrace.

***