- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Everybody's reaction to Tony's suggestion.
The journey to the NCIS headquarters was a very quiet one. You could feel the tension.

"Look Tony…"

"Its ok Kate, really its ok" said Tony and he glanced at Kate smiling. Kate smiled back but his eyes gave it away. They were shallow and didn't show the emotion that they usually did. They were missing their sparkle.

"Good" she replied. Silence returned. 5 minutes later they pulled up in front of the NCIS building and walked up to the doors. Tony went through first and held the door open for Kate. They showed their I.D.s at the front desk and then stepped into the lift.

***

"McGee!" yelled Gibbs

"Yes boss?"

"Where's Tony and Kate?"

"Well I don't know boss" Gibbs stared at McGee

"I'll ring Tony now boss" said McGee quickly and pulled out his phone. As he did the doors to the elevator slid open and Tony and Kate entered the room. McGee returned his phone to his pocket.

"DiNozzo, McGee. I want both of you to go over to the husband's house. Petty Officer Gregg's wife hasn't been seen since yesterday night"

"That's it? No body or anything?" replied Tony. Gibbs just stared; it was amazing what he could accomplish with that stare. "On it boss" Him and McGee left the floor.

"Slow day at the office?" said Kate. Gibbs smiled.

"Maybe October just isn't the month for Naval officers to be murdered" Kate laughed

"Maybe…" said Gibbs quietly

***

Abby Scuito was MSNing from her computer in her lab; a Caf Pow in her left hand when Kate stepped of the elevator. She swung round in her chair.

"KATE!" she said, jumping up and leaping on the poor girl. Kate was laughing.

"Abby, how can you be so peppy at this time?" Kate felt Abby shrug and then heard a slurping sound from behind her shoulder. "What was that?"

"Me drinking my Caf Pow!" she said and she let go still tightly clutching the beaker. Kate looked at the bin and realised why Abby was so hyper.

"Abby! How many of those have you had?" said Kate loudly motioning towards the five empty Caf Pow containers in the bin. Abby blushed.

"Well with the weird lack of cases recently, I've kind of been stuck for things to do," she said as she hung her head. Kate smiled.

"Well we've got a case now; don't know about how much evidence there will be though. It's a missing person case" Abby looked like a mouse who'd had cheese swept from right underneath her nose. "Sorry" Kate added.

"Doesn't matter" replied Abby cheerfully, "They'll be a murder soon, ooh or maybe serial killer!" said Abby getting excited. Kate thought about taking Abby's Caf Pow away from her but she didn't feel like losing an arm today.

"That's not a good thing" she said

"I know, but still ‘that' would be a real case" Abby hopped over to her chair, sat down and started typing in to her computer again. Kate walked over.

"Who's ‘dragonmaster_33"

"McGee" replied Abby beaming. "He's got MSN on his cell now! We can chat anytime"

"That's cool," said Kate smiling

"By the way. How are you and Tony? We haven't had a girly chat in ages" Kate's smile faded.

"You'll never guess what Tony asked me today"

"What?"

"He asked me to move in with him," said Kate quietly. Abby started a fresh batch of hyperness and span her self round in her chair a couple of times with her hands in the air.

"YEAH!!"

"I said no," said Kate solemnly. Abby almost fell out of her chair. Her mouth hung open.

"What! Why? You're crazy about him. And he's crazy about you!"

"I know, but it's a major step. I've always been my own woman you know. I've never depended on anyone else. Moving in is like I'm saying goodbye to that part of me and I don't think I'm ready for that yet" Abby just stood there, her mouth hung open. "If you stay like that for much longer Abs, you'll be catching flies" said Kate cracking a tense smile.

"But…but…you two are meant for each other!"

"Well if we are, then its doesn't matter what I said and I'll move in with him when I'm ready. Abby retrieved her jaw from the floor and spun her chair so that she was facing her computer. "Abby…" Kate called but Abby remained silent. Kate sighed and left the lab.

***

"So what are you and Kate going to do now?"

"What are you on about McGee?" Tony snapped, "Me and Kate are fine"

"You're obviously not Tony. And I would feel the same if Abby turned me down"

"What?! What has Kate told you?"

"Not Kate Tony, Abby" Tony sighed.

"That means that Kate has told Abby"

"Didn't you think she would? They are best friends"

"I know, but this is big. Plus it's embarrassing to me"

"You shouldn't be embarrassed Tony"

"Why the hell not?" said Tony almost shouting.

"It's a big step for Kate. You should be happy that she values your relationship so much that she wants to take it slow"

"She told Abby all of this?"

"Well…yes" Tony sat in silence. "Tony?"

"Shut it McGee. I'm thinking" McGee shut up and they continued to drive. After a while Tony broke the silence. "I've been an ass haven't I McGee?" McGee opened his mouth but then hesitated. "I'm not going to hit you McGee"

"Well then…I guess you have" Tony sighed

"Why do I always to this? Whenever my ego gets hurt I climb into this massive ball and won't let anyone in"

"Correction Tony, you let me in"

"That's because I had too. If you hadn't of started this conversation, there is no way I would of. I'm such an ass" McGee nodded and Tony reached over and slapped him round he back of the head.

"What was that for?" said McGee rubbing the back of his head, "You said you wouldn't hit me!"

"The first time you answered the my question. You nodding just then, was you saying I'm an ass"

"But you said…" Tony raised his arm again "Ok…never mind"

"I don't want to be an ass" said Tony and McGee just sat there. He didn't want to risk getting hit again.

***

Abby swung round on her chair swirling what was left of her 12th Caf Pow this morning. She slid down in her chair and shut her eyes. She tried to swim through the caffeine in her head and find spot where she could think straight. It was actually quite sweet what Kate said, and she could understand. When her and McGee had moved in together, she had had her reservations. Why had she been that mean to Kate? They were best friends and she should have understood. It was just hard to hear that, because she had known Tony for longer and no matter how close her and Kate became, Tony would always come first. He was the older brother she'd never had. She cared deeply for him and she knew how much he would be hurting right now. Still Kate was there for her, and now she had to be there for Kate.

***