- Text Size +
One day later Tony shifted uncomfortable in the chair he sat in.

„Jeez, I'm feeling like when I was called to the principal.."

„Tony, you are called to the principle."

Jethro said slightly annoyed. They had to take three hours off because Mr. Principle couldn't manage to give them another appointment. And then, when they arrive at the office they were told to wait...that had been thirty minutes ago. Jethro checked his watch again, just as the door opened and they were asked inside.

„I hope you don't mind that it took a little longer."

Mr. Gorn said and mentioned them towards the chairs in front of his desk.

„Oh, I don't think the SecNav minded rescheduling the video conference. He's not that busy."

Jethro said sarcastically and the principal looked a little shocked.

„Well, I'm sorry if I intervened with important dates but I thought you might want to talk quickly about your daughter's situation."

„We do."

Tony said before Jethro could open his mouth again. He bit back the comment that was on the tip of his tongue and wordlessly sat in the chair, followed by Tony.

„Yes, I talked to Alishia's teacher and I have to tell you that if she's not going to be better she will have to repeat the grade."

„Actually, we're of a different oppinion. We talked to Alishia and she told us that she's bored in class, that's why she's not spending attention. And she said she's bored because she's much faster than all the other kids."

Tony explained and before the principal could say anything Jethro continued.

„Yes, and Alishia's therapist conviniently told us last night after Alishia's session that she thinks Lish is gifted. She should scip one grade."

Satisfied Jethro watched Mr. Gorn desperately look for anything to say.

„Alshia is in therapy?"

„Yes, she had a traumatic experience which lead to therapy. Anyway, her psychologist, she's a doctor, you know, she said that Alishia is really intelligent, like more than usual?"

Tony said slowly as if he was talking to some kid, or drunk. Mr. Gorn squared his shoulders a little.

„Mr. DiNozzo. As long as this matter isn't cleared..."

„What will you do to clear this matter?"

Jethro interrupted. Without noticing both men had put up their interrogation mask and when the principle didn't answer they started to play their little game.

„Ohhh, I think he hasn't even considered the possibility that our daughter could be gifted, Jethro."

„Sure seems that way, Tony. Though, didn't we choose this school because they promised to help our children to become the best what they can?"

„I think that's quite exactly what the proshure said."

The nodded at eachother and then turned to the principal.

„I will talk to someone I know. He's principal of a school for gifted children. I'm sure he can help to clear the matter."

Jethro smirked and stood up.

„Well, now that that's cleared, you'll excuse me, I've got a federal agency to run."

„Excuse me?"

„Ohhhh, right. Jethro's been promoted. Instead of retiring he was made director. Have a good day, Mr. Gorn. Call us for a date to meet with that other principal."

Tony grinned widely as they left the dumbstruck man behind.

„That was cool."

He beamed at his husband as they walked out of the school. But Jethro was very silent next to him.

„What's wrong?"

„The SecNav asked me to do the funeral oration for Jen. I'm her successor and I was her partner once...And I couldn't really say no, could I? Sure, as an Agent I did twice...but as director..."

Tony took his hand. It was an unusual gesture between them but Jethro smiled thankfully. He knew what Tony was saying without words and it was better than anything he could have said. Before they got into the car Tony kissed Jethro softly.

„You'll do fine. And your family is right there."






It was quite crowded and Jethro was very nervous. Speaking wasn't his forté and usually Tony took over for him but as director he probably should get used to it anyway. Though, he doupted that he had managed the speech without Tony's help. He knew what he wanted to say, what needed to be told, but he couldn't find the right words to express feelings and memories, not like Tony.

Finally his name was mentioned and he stood after Tony had squeezed his hand. He walked up to the open coffin and looked at Jen for the last time. Her face was calm and she had a satisfied expression, something he couldn't relate with at the moment.

„Ladies and Gentlemen, family and friends of Jennifer Mary Shepard. We all came for the same reason, to say good bye to somebody we loved and honored. Jennifer Shepard has been an exceptional Agent. One of the best I've worked with. I was her mentor, her partner and later, her subordinate.

There are things you could say about her which aren't all nice. But she was one of the best persons I've ever met. She leaves a gap that nobody will ever fill, a gap that noone can ever fill, a gap noone is supposed to fill.

I don't think she'd want us to cry. But I know that she doesn't want us to forget her. She wouldn't want us to forget all the wonderful hours we were blessed to spend with her. She wouldn't want us to forget the good time, and she wouldn't want us to forget the bad times, and how we got through them.

I won't forget her smile, or her eyes when she had to take me down from an ego-trip. She was a constance in my life and I thought it would be shaky when she's gone but I realized that she won't be gone. A part of her lives in me and in everybody who has met her. A part of her lives in my children, who she has helped to raise from the first moment on. And a part of her will live in the agency she has run more successful than anybody had believed.

I'm proud to continue her work and I hope that she will be proud on the work I'm doing. Because whatever I do as director, I think of her. In some way, she has been my mentor in the end. And my partner.

And she will always be."

He turned around to the coffin but didn't step up to it. Without the microphone he knew that nobody would hear what he says but it didn't matter. It wasn't for their ears anyway.

„You've never been a marine but I think they'll make an exception. Semper fi, Jen."

He straightened and saluted to the coffin.



Story finished.

Series to be continued with # 4: Jelousy and other Perils
Chapter End Notes:
This is the last chapter of Circle Of Life. There will be more, I promise (or threat). At the moment the next story is called "Jealousy and other Perils" though that could change...but keep your eyes open.

Thanks for reading and please, please, please, send me feedback!!