- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I suck at summaries This will be Slash This is my first NCIS Story In my world Kate isn't dead but Ziva may still appear
Author's Chapter Notes:
One of Gibbs' Marine buddies asks for help when his daughter is kidnapped and Tony faces the demons of his past as the case progresses
Don't Say A Word

Prologue

Captain Meredith Blake finished her assessment of one of her patients and smiled. "Hey Jake as far as I can tell you will be back on your feet in a matter of weeks. Promise to take notice of the Dragon in Physio though?" Jake rolled his eyes. "How did you find out about that?" Meredith, Merry to her friends, laughed. "I know everything."

"That would be laughable coming from anyone but you." Merry laughed and left the room heading to the nursing station. "How are we doing Julie do we need an update?" Julie shook her head. "No. Ward Round hasn't started yet and everyone is comfortable. I'm a bit worried about Sean's wound though." Merry nodded grimly. "Yeah I took a look at that this morning I'll mention it on Ward Round this morning."

At that moment a lady appeared at the desk. "I'm looking for Meredith Blake." Meredith had her back to the desk having gone to look in the Kardex for some information but she would have recognised that voice anywhere. It wasn't a pleasant experience to have heard it again.

"Martina Black." She said putting the file away and standing to move around the desk. "What a pleasant surprise." She smiled but it was as fake as her greeting. Martina was apart of Merry's past that she wanted to forget and even in that past Martina and Merry had never been friends.

"You're a nurse now Merry?" Martina grinned. "I never would have guessed." "Is there a reason you're here or can it wait until after my shift?" She asked quietly. "No. It's important. I was hoping I could have I could have ten minutes of your time." Merry frowned but without making a complete arse of herself in front of her colleagues she could see no way out of it.

"I'll be ten minutes Julie." Julie nodded smiling. "I'll hold the fort until you get back."

Martina led her off the ward and into a hallway. She didn't even have time to scream before she was grabbed. "Shut up." A familiar voice snarled in her ear. Martina was grinning now. "Let's take this somewhere more private."

They ended up in a storage unit and only then did her captor let her go. She pushed away from him. "What the fuck do you want?" Merry asked. "Simple. Money." "From me? Get a life." Martina laughed. "Like you have any. I know your mother took it off you." "Step-mother." Merry snarled. "And if you know I don't have the money what's the point?" "Not from you, you bitch. Your father." Merry laughed. She was afraid of where this may go but she knew she was safe. At least for now.

"You've got as much chance of getting money off him as you have from me." "Not if you're the bargaining chip." Her captor said. "What's the point I've not seen either of you for 9 years. Why now." "Because revenge is best served cold besides we know you know where the twins are." Merry stared right back at them. "They're dead." Merry snapped "And As I recall correctly that was your fault."

Her captor snarled at her and belted her across the face. "Don't get funny with us Merry," Martina said quietly her tone smug. "You are in no position to antagonise us." "Give me one time, just one moment when I actually took any notice of you at all?" Meredith snapped. "And Merry is a privilege reserved for my friends." "And you think I care because?" Martina said. "Look there are two ways you can leave this building. Do as your told and we'll let you leave the building standing up, walking and free, after a fashion. Keep pushing your look and you'll leave here in a body bag the choice is yours."

Meredith was proud of herself when she didn't flinch when she felt the muzzle of the gun against her temple but it made her realise something she had been trying to ignore. She was in deep shit here and if she was going to survive she needed to outsmart these bastards that thought they had her.

She also knew, though it was doubtful she would do it, that she needed to keep her wisecracks to a minimum. But she had never managed that round these bastards, ever so she didn't see how she was going to manage it now. But she'd try.

"Look put the damn gun away. I'll walk. I'll go to the station I'll make up some sob story and we'll leave. That way you get the advantage because no one will know I'm missing for a few hours and I don't get my brains blown out. Everyone wins."

Meredith was being flippant but she was shit scared. She hated guns and what was worse was that Martina knew it. She had been there and seen the reason. Seen what had soon become the worst moment of Merry's life and left her with a lasting phobia of guns.

Martina looked at her conspirator and they nodded putting the gun back in their holster. "Okay we'll do things your way but one wrong move and you're dead Meredith. Make sure you remember it."

Despite her fear Meredith had always had a high sense of self-preservation there was no way she was going to let these pricks get the better of her, there had only been three people to date that had seen her cry and that was how it was going to stay. Besides if she wanted a way out of this then she had to play them at their own game.

Martina nodded to her partner and Meredith couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief as the gun disappeared from view and her captors stepped out of her personal space. For that, at least she had to be thankful.

She glared at them and then walked back onto the ward careful to keep her stride unhurried and her expression neutral but faintly worried. "Hey Julie, I've got a bit of a family emergency can I take the afternoon? Will you be ok?" Julie glanced at Meredith and then at Martina "Sure. Have you got time to finish the notes for Ward Round so I know what I'm mentioning to the team?"

Merry smiled and nodded. "Of course." Meredith looked at Martina. "Hey Tina do you mind?" Martina forced a smile. "No." She didn't have a choice they'd promised Merry could walk out as long as she behaved and Martina could see that Meredith was not making a fuss she simply handed over what she had on a bit of paper and filled in some paper work in a file before dropping it in front of Julie.

"Everything you need is in there." Merry said quietly. "Plus what I've handed over. Please make sure you check Jake's wound the plan is in the Kardex I don't like the look of it. Mention it to the team and I'll be back in on the early shift tomorrow."

With that Meredith gathered her belongings and waved bye walking off the ward with her visitor.

General Jonathan Blake's Office

Twenty hours later….

General Blake sipped his coffee as he waited for the morning reports he detested paperwork but knew how important it was to gather Intel on the goings on in and out of the country and General Blake made it his business to know things. As the morning reports came in his mobile phone rang.

A number didn't register but given the type of information he often received the line was often secure. "Blake." He said into the phone. "How much do you love your daughter General Blake?" The voice asked. "Excuse me?" He asked sitting upright.

"How much is your daughter worth to you alive?" The voice asked again. "You see the point is general we have your daughter and unless you hand over three million dollars of yours and your country's money you won't see her." "Like hell I will." He snapped. "If you don't she won't live." The voice said matter of factly there was no emotion in his voice.

The general's voice shook with suppressed anger "How do I know you have her?" The voice laughed it was a cold laugh and it grew faint and then he heard his daughter's voice. "Dad." She said calmly. "Merry. Honey are you ok?" "I'm ok Daddy guessed I've crashed and burned like you daddy but I can't see me walking away from this. Not like you."

The phone was ripped away from her. "She's right you know, she won't survive this, not if you don't get the money."

There was a pause. "We're watching you General. This is your first and only warning contact anyone and she will die. You have twenty four hours."

The line went dead. General Blake felt anger bubbling. Anger was dangerous it would cloud his judgement. He smiled grimly as his assistant came in with the files, they seemed so unimportant now. He opened the file in the hope that it would give him some thinking time and slammed his hand down on the counter.

There were pictures of his daughter bound to a chair blindfolded in a dingy room. the photo looked to have been taken from the top of the stairs. So she was underground. Not that helped he needed to call someone in. He'd just have to be discreet he pulled up and email and typed a message to his best friend he just hoped that Gibbs was still good playing words games as when they were in the Corps.
Chapter End Notes:
I suck at summaries
This will be Slash
This is my first NCIS Story
In my world Kate isn't dead but Ziva may still appear