- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The case is solved and Abby gets a horrifying shock
Gibbs walked out onto the floor and was almost run down at by Ziva.

"I was just coming to see you, I worked out what it was," she waited for an answer

"Are you going to tell me?" Gibbs said

"She's left handed,"

"So?" Tony said, "That was your big piece of evidence,"

"Yeah, in the interview she wrote her statement with her left hand. I didn't think a lot of it at the time. So what if she was left handed? It didn't matter. But then I remembered the fingerprints on the outside of the glass and on the outside of the can of rat poison. There where positioned in a right handed formation."

"So she used her right hand. That doesn't make her innocent,"

"Even if she did, she can't hold the glass and the can both with her right hand can she?" Even Tony didn't have an answer for that.

"So you think she was set up then?" McGee said

"Yes, the question now is who by?" she replied

"I think I can answer that," Ducky said stepping off the elevator. "The man wasn't wearing his wedding ring,"

"Not all men wear wedding rings nowadays Ducky," Tony said "Maybe in your time..."

"I will have you know Tony that even at my age I am not completely stupid," Ducky retaliated "There were friction marks on his left ring finger that showed recent wearing of a ring. I didn't notice them at first but as the body has progressed they show up rather nicely now,"

"That also doesn't prove anything Ducky," Tony argued "He could have just taken it off,"

"Even still there had to be a reason for taking it off, I think he knew about the affair his wife was having," Ducky said

"Tony's right," said Gibbs surprising everyone "All of our evidence is circumstantial at this point, we need more."

"I'll bring you more," Abby said seemingly appearing to have sprung out of nowhere.

"I didn't you notice come in Abbs," Tony said. Abby just smiled mysteriously.

"I had a thought as I was on my way down. When I order stuff of the net, someone delivers it to my house,"

"And..." McGee said

"Someone brings it to my house"

"That's brilliant Abby," Ziva said. Abby beamed.

"I rung the delivery company and eventually got through to the guy who delivered it...to a man." Gibbs smiled.

"Good work Abbs," he said. Abby just kept smiling. "You deserve all the Caf-Pow's in the world,"

"Why didn't any of us think of that before? Its so obvious," Tony said "But good work Abbs well done."

"You can all go home now," Gibbs said and left for the elevator; Ducky followed. "Abbs?" Abby took a last longing look at McGee before following them as well. As the doors shut it was only Tony, Ziva and McGee left on the floor. They too all headed for the elevator. McGee and Ziva stepped in and looked at expecting Tony to follow, but instead they were confronted by a weird smile.

"I'm going to take the stairs today," he said smiling

"Realised you need the exercise Tony?" Ziva said scathingly but Tony knew she was joking. Even still it hurt and wiped the smile off his face.

"I wouldn't want to intrude on anything," he said hitting back. McGee flushed and Ziva stared at Tony.

"Well I don't think there's enough room for you in here anyway," she said looking him up and down. She smiled as she said it and Tony smiled back. Tony realised how strong Ziva's feelings were for McGee just through that one smile which said ‘Don't muck this up Tony, I'm serious about this.' Tony bowed out and waved as the doors closed on them. McGee and Ziva where left alone in the metal box that now looked a lot smaller than it usually did. McGee broke the silence,

"Tony didn't mean…" he was cut short by Ziva grabbing the front of his shirt and pushing him against the wall. Ziva looked in his eyes with a look that said ‘this is it McGee, I'm letting you in.' McGee stared back and put his hand to her cheek, brushing away the strand of hair that had fallen there. Ziva looked like a little child that had just told all of her secrets; McGee just wanted to scoop her up and hold her. His head leaned forwards and his lips touched hers. Ziva softened and fell into McGee, for once McGee was the one in control. He wrapped his arms around her supporting her, his body against hers. Their kiss was deep and passionate; nothing else mattered to them now. The doors to the elevator pinged open and floor full of people was revealed but Ziva and McGee didn't notice all the shocked faces. They had arrived on the ground floor at the main lobby; and in the distance far across the car park, a woman was sitting in her car, her mouth hung open. She had a look of pure shock, and a single tear had fallen down her face.

***