- Text Size +
Story Notes:
this is story 5 in the mac series. i suggest you read the otehrs forst for this to make sense. the first is The Secret Daughter. enjoy!
Author's Chapter Notes:
when sarah mcgee is murdered, the team try and track down her killer. but with the discovery of some condemming evidence and mcgee on their backs, mac and tony have big task ahead. it doesn't help with someone turns on them in a time of need.

story 5 in the mac series, sequel to Sex, Lies and Interrogation. forst in the series, The Secret Daughter
this is story 5 in the mac series. i suggest you read the otehrs forst for this to make sense. the first is The Secret Daughter. enjoy!

Chapter 1

"Mac?" Chris groggily awoke and felt the still warm but empty side of the bed. He squinted around to find his beautiful wife next to the chest of drawers. She pulled on a pair of jeans and a turquoise t-shirt over her black underwear and strapped on her shoulder holsters. She armed her weapons and slid a sig sauer into each holster as Chris sat up. "What's going on?" he asked confused, spotting her packed bag.
"Sarah McGee was found dead in Shenandoah park this morning." She told him in a low, solemn voice.
"Oh shit. Seriously?"
"Yeah. DiNozzo called, said I was needed there ASAP. There is an F-14 leaving from NAS JRB in 1 hour. The General said I can hop a ride to Andrews riding back-seat, pilot's RIO is sick." She said, still in a low voice, slipping a black suit jacket over her t-shirt and adjusting the collar.
"Do you know how?" he asked, rubbing his eyes.
"To backseat? Of course. Remember I have my pilot's license. You are still on our original flight. Leaves at 0900. I'll see you back at home honey." She said, gliding over to the bedside. She kissed him passionately, leaning on the bed as he placed a warm hand on her back. The both ended the kiss at the same time and she straightened up, threw her bag over her back and headed for the door.
"Mac," he stopped her.
"Yes?"
"Tell Tim I'm sorry." He asked. She could see the sadness in his face. Mac nodded before walking out of the door and shutting it behind her.

Mac stepped out of the tomcat and onto the tarmac that was Andrews Air Force Base. Cmdr Degas, the F-14 pilot, also climbed out of the plane and jumped down beside her. "I never thought a fed would be so good at flying," he smiled a cheeky, handsome grin. Jonathon Degas was your typical navy pilot; handsome, smart, arrogant, competitive and completely unaware o his own limits. Despite all that, Mac still got the feeling he was a good guy. He had taken an instant shine to her, but backed off when he found out she was married, and when she told him she could kill him 18 different ways with a paper clip, although that did turn him on. "I hope we get to fly again sometime."
"Just under better circumstances John. Thanks again."
"Any time." He told her, shaking her extended hand.
"Agent Sciuto!" a male voice called over the runway. She finished removing her flight suit and spun to see a man leaning against a dark blue sedan. He was about 6 feet tall and had short, mousy brown hair. His brown eyes were covered by black shades and he stuck his left hand into his trench coat to retrieve the car keys.
"Pullman, how are ya?" she yelled over the noise of the planes.
"Ok, I wish I could say the same for the director." He hung his head.
"Me too. Where are the keys?" she held out a hand for deliverance.
"Um, ma'a…" he stopped, seeing the look on her face. "Agent Sciuto, I think it is bette if I drive."
"Keys!"
"I think…"
"I am senior field agent Probie, hand ‘em over!" and he reluctantly did so. She pulled out her jacket and once again put it on over the t-shirt and shoulder holsters. Mac threw herself and slid over the car bonnet and clambered through the driver's side door. She pulled on her seatbelt and slammed on the accelerator, waving at Degas as she left the base. Pullman attached himself to the door handle as Mac skidded round the corner.
"Slow down!" he shrieked, which only made her press her foot down harder.

Mac ducked under the police tape in Shenandoah Park and flashed her badge at the young LEO, Pullman on her six. "Mac." Came Tony's voice out of the trees.
"Where is he DiNozzo?" she interrupted him.
"Who?" he asked innocently.
"You know damn well who" she raised her eyebrows.
"Up there" he pointed to the left of where Mac had just come from.
"Thanks. Be back soon" she told him, and ran back, leaving Pullman with Tony.

"How you holding up?" she asked, sitting down on the back of the sedan.
"Not so good." McGee replied, staring into his coffee cup.
"I'm sorry McGee." She said, turning to look at him.
"Me too Mac. She had her whole life ahead of her and it was just…" he couldn't finish.
"I know Tim. Chris sends his condolences."
"He is a good man and I appreciate it." He said, sill not looking at her.
"You do know it is better if you sit this one out and let us handle it?"
"Mac, I wanna help."
"I know McGee, but still. I know you would be professional and I trust you on that to the highest level, but you know lawyers. They will looks for any out. When we get a conviction, when not if" she reiterated, "then they can plead you compromised evidence because it is your sister. And we both know you know that." She said, placing a comforting hand on his knee.
"I think you are right, like always." He attempted to joke. "There is no one I trust more to do this than you and Tony. You 2 are the best we have. Closely followed by Kate" he said with a smile.
"Will you be ok?" she asked, placing her arm around his back.
"Not just now, but I will be." He told her, resting his head on top of hers.

"DiNozzo, what we got?" Mac asked, walking into the crime scene. Ducky was crouched down beside her body will Billy, the temporary ME assistant. Tony was sketching and shooting as Kate and Pullman bagged and tagged. Tony tossed the camera to Mac, who expertly caught it before turning to face him.
"Not much we jus started." He explained.
"How about you dad?" Mac asked, joining her father next to the body.
"Her liver temperature time of death, oh, about 15 hours ago. One sharp force trauma to the abdomen and her throat is also slit. The cut appears to be shallow, if it is the cause of death she would have drifted in and out of consciousness for several minutes. But you know I don't assume. I will know more when I get her back, as usual."
"Thanks anyway dad." She said as Ducky and Billy placed bags over her hands to protect evidence and hoisted her up onto the gurney. "What the hell are you doing!" she whirled around to stop Tony from separating her hair as he had already attempted to do.
"You have a cut on your head. How the hell did that happen?" he asked concerned.
"Lets just say," she spoke slowly, deciding how to work the sentence which she spoke in the same manner. "Headboards are dangerous objects during rigorous activity." She said with a grin.
"I really did not need to know that," he said, regretting the question and screwing up his face.
"You asked." She defended.
"I know, and I shouldn't…" he started, but was interrupted by Kate yelling over to them.
"I think I found something!"
Chapter End Notes:
this is story 5 in the mac series. i suggest you read the otehrs forst for this to make sense. the first is The Secret Daughter. enjoy!