- Text Size +
Chapter 2

"What you got?" Mac asked, crouching next to Kate.
"Knife." She said, holding it up so they all could see.
"Looks like a marine hunting knife." Mac stated.
"Yeah." Tony agreed, "Nice find. Keep looking." He told them with a nod and they scattered.
"I'm surprised Abby isn't here my McGee's side." Mac told Tony as they continued to photograph the scene.
"Me too. I asked her if she would stay and wait for evidence, but she refused. Said she was gonna be there for her husband. But then he said ‘I love you, but could you stay here and wait for evidence, I will find my sister's killer and it would be much more help if you stayed here and did what you do best.'" He shrugged.
"Tony, look at you, you little gossip." She joked. Ducky loaded Sarah McGee onto the gurney, but Mac stopped him.
"Hold on a minute dad." She said, unzipping the half sealed body bag.
"What is it?" Tony asked, leaning over her shoulder.
"I saw something." She muttered. Attempting to not disturb the massive amounts of blood, Mac entered her pocket and pulled out a small piece of folded paper.
"What is it?" he asked quietly in her ear.
"How the hell am I supposed to know? I haven't looked at it yet." She said obviously. She unfolded the square and squinted at the writing. She came to the end at the same time as Tony and shut her eyes. "It's a suicide note." She sighed, looking up at her partner.

"No one tells the director." Mac told the other 3 team members. "NCIS investigates all suicides as murders until proven otherwise are we clear?"
"Crystal." They agreed as Ducky wheeled the body past on the gurney. Mac placed the note in an evidence bag and placed it in her inside pocket so McGee wouldn't see. They photographed and collected box loads of evidence, all amounting to many ours of work.
"DiNozzo, I am gonna ride back with the body to make sure McGee doesn't see the note."
"Good idea. See you back at base." He said, pulling out his keys..
"Yeah, later DiNozzo." She said, climbing into the autopsy van and waiting for Ducky to hoist himself in. Billy stood behind him, hoping for a front seat. Mac coughed and stuck her thumb backwards. "Back." She simply uttered and her sulked off, leaving her with a smile.

"Sarah McGee, 32." Mac began, clicking the remote. Sarah McGee's driver's license appeared on the plasma. With another click, the information was sent to the background as the picture was zoomed in on and took up most of the screen. "Found dead in Shenandoah Park early this morning by a ranger on rounds. What else do we know?" she turned to the team.
"Best selling author, followed in her brother's footsteps. Degree in English lit from Waverly university and currently supposed to be in the process of writing book number 2 in the series." Pullman read from his computer. "First depicts a young woman framed for the murder by a college cheerleader and guard after being set up to be raped." He looked for approval.
"Déjà vu." Mac muttered and Tony agreed. "Worked that case years ago."
"Might wanna refresh your memory." Kate said, joining them in the centre of the bullpen. "In the book the ending was different. The woman, Susan McGavin, was murdered."
"By who?" Tony asked.
"I dunno, I lost my copy before a got to the end."
"Useful." Mac added sarcastically.
"You think this could be Rock Hollow all over again?" Tony asked Mac so only she could hear.
"I dunno, maybe." She chewed her lip. "But I hope not,"
"Me too. That is one case I would gladly forget."
"Hmm" she agreed.
"Actually his last one was quite good. Agent Tommy got some action, finally!"
"Yeah but it is set like 12 yeas ago, when Tibbs is still at NCIS." They discussed, straying off topic.
"I know, because Tony just got it on with Cam."
"Which is Mac backwards, coincidently." She said the last word carefully, but everyone knew she shared Gibbs' view on coincidences.
"But it was only a fling because he hasn't figured out he has feelings for Catherine yet."
"True. And agent Sasha Cameron is still a new hire." She said with a smirk in her voice. "Do you think in true Gemcity fashion when she gets married she will become Sutton like Amy?"
"Hmm possible." He nodded his head,
"But you never know, it could go differently, I mean, we never slept together."
"Also true." He accepted.
"Contrary to Kate's belief." She said, winking at the other woman. "My scar hurts when it rains." She smiled.
"Guilt trip and a half." She hung her head.
"Guys!" Pullman's voice cut through the commotion. "You lost me at Rock Hollow." He shook his head in confusion.
"Back to the case probie!" Tony barked as Mac slapped the back of his head. "How long have you wanted to do that to him?" he asked.
"Forever" she answered with a smile.
"Now, Ducky is doing the autopsy as we speak as Abby runs the evidence. Here are the photos from before the body was washed." Tony stated, taking the remote from Mac and pressing the middle button. "As you can see here…" he pointed but Mac caught his attention.
"Uh, DiNozzo…" she nodded towards the stairs and they all turned to see McGee standing solemnly on the staircase. "Tim are you ok?" she asked caringly as Tony pulled the pictures from the screen,
"No. not until we get the bastard who did this!" he slammed his fist into the railing.
"We will probie don't worry." Tony said softly, standing next to Mac.
"I promise you Tim we will." She assured him with a nod and he slowly returned to his office as Mac and Tony let out a sigh.

"Abby!" Mac automatically yelled as she stepped off the elevator and into the lab. But for once she heard her voice echo around the machines. "Abs?" she questioned, searching the room
"I'm in here" came a gravely voice from her desk.
"Why so quiet?" Mac asked, placing a Caf-Pow down on the surface.
"Not in the mood." She said, looking up at her sister-in-law.
"It is uber quiet in here, we need some music." Mac tried to lighten the mood.
"No" she simply said, lifting her head.
"Then how about a dirge?" Mac asked, lifting Abby's chin.
"Hmm. Ok." She gave in and slowly rose from her desk, moving past Mac towards the CD player. She lifted out the Plastic Death CD and placed it in the gun striation covered box. Abby then dug out a plastic wallet from the back of her collection and placed it in the machine. The music filled all 3 sections of the lab as Abby took a slow drink of the Caf-Pow. "That did make me feel a little better." She admitted moving away from her desk and through the pneumatic doors. "What can I do for you this crappy day sis?" she said, turning to the computers.
"I need a favour."
"Anything."
"And I need you not to tell McGee." Mac raised her eyebrows, hoping for a yes.
"That makes it harder." She grounded.
"I hate asking you to deceive your husband, but it is for his own good. Trust me it is in his best interests if he doesn't know."
"What is it?"
"Let me make it easier for you by not telling. I just need you to give me an hour alone in here."
"The lab?" Abby asked confused.
"Yeah, can you do it?"
"Of course, just give me 5 minutes to clear out."
"Thanks Abs, you are the best." Mac said, pulling her into a tight hug.