- Text Size +
Chapter 5

“Fiancée,” Mac sighed, “I did not see that one coming.” She told Tony as they stood outside Starbucks.

“I don’t think McGee knew.” He took a sip of his latte.

“Oh ya think DiNozzo?” she threw her empty cup in the trash can.

“Thank you Agent Gibbs,” he began sarcastically, “But he would have told us if he did.”

“I know. You think he had something to do with this?” She asked as he followed suit, throwing his cup in the bin.

“I dunno yet, but it’s a possibility.” They started off towards the car. ‘Mosquito’ was sitting in the back seat, staring solemnly out of the window as Mac and Tony reentered the car; she behind the wheel. “Hey flyboy,” Tony turned to face him. “I would buckle up. The lady is driving and I don’t want you to die just yet.” Tony advised him as Mac let out a smile. She fastened her seatbelt before slamming on the accelerator and speeding back to the Navy Yard.

[center]-----------------------[/center]

“I put him in interrogation two.” Tony stated, entering the bullpen to find Mac already at her desk. Pullman and Kate were also at work when he sat down. “You wanna do it or shall I?” he asked, flicking his computer to ‘on’.

“Huh?” she said, not removing the pencil from between her teeth, still distracted and not looking up from whatever she as reading.

“Kate fucked your husband. The baby is Chris’, not mine.” He said with a smile which caused Kate to look up, whereas Mac didn’t budge.

“Good for her, congratulations.” She raked around through the lose pages that were splayed on her desk.

“What are you doing?”

“Reading the manuscript to see if there is anything in here to help.” She stated, still not looking to her partner, even though he was currently perched on the edge of her desk.

“Good idea, but the question still stands. Which one interrogates? Or tag team?”

“Nah, not in the mood. You do it.” She placed the pencil on the desk and pushed herself back on the chair.

“Boss.” A voice came from the corner. “I could do it.” Pullman squeaked. With this, Mac and Tony’s heads snapped up to look at the junior member of the team. She stood up and advanced on his with haste. She raised her hand and brought it sharply across the back of his head. He jerked forward as a connection was made and screwed up his face. Mac retracted her hand, blowing shortly on her palm before returning to her desk and pushing herself back into the chair.

“Thanks.” Tony began. “It saves me a journey.”

“Anytime.” She said, returning to the bundle of paper. “Hey, go do the interrogation. Call if you need me.”

“Will do.” He stood up and headed down the corridor.

“And after you are done, I think we should pay a visit to Abby!” she called after him. He threw his hand up in agreement so she could see as he began his voyage to interrogation 2.

[center]----------------------[/center]

Tony grasped the handle and yanked the door open. “Mr. Evlon,” he began, shutting the door behind him. He pulled the chair briskly down under the table and sat down slowly.

“Agent DiNozzo,” he sobbed, wiping his eyes with his fingers. “Why am I here? Am I a suspect?” he asked nervously, fidgeting with his t-shirt.

“Undecided.” Tony grunted curtly, reading the file he held in 2 hands.

“Because I didn’t kill my fiancée, I loved Sarah with all my heart.”

“Heh,” Tony grunted. “If I had a nickel for every time I heard ‘I didn’t kill them, I loved them.’ Did you know that statistically it is the lover who is the killer? Whether pre meditated, crime of passion or spur of the moment.” He stated, staring Evlon in the eye.

“No, I didn’t.” he admitted, avoiding Tony’s eyes and staring at his forehead.

“Look Brad, you don’t seem like a bad guy, just tell me what happened.” Tony clasped his hands on the desk.

“I don’t know. I can’t believe she’s gone.” He stopped talking to Tony and lowered his voice in disbelief.

“When was the last time you saw Miss McGee?” Tony asked, interrupting Evlon’s train of though.

“Um, Saturday night.” He answered, looking at his reflection on the shiny black table.

“You didn’t see her all of yesterday?” Tony asked questioningly.

“No, I was staying out of town at a buddy’s to watch the football game.” He explained regrettably.

“Your buddy have a name?” Tony pulled out his PDA.

“Drew Moore. Lives out in Maryland.” He told Tony, who dictated it onto his PDA and sent it through email to Mac. “Maybe if I had stayed, she would still be alive…” he sobbed, trailing off and buried a sweating head in his hands.

Tony’s gut said he was a decent man, and did not do this. “Hey, this isn’t your fault. If you had been there, you might have died too.” Tony tried to convince him.

“I don’t care. At least I still would have been with her.” he growled angrily, but was interrupted by the shrill ringing of Tony’s cell phone.

“DiNozzo.” He answered, angry that he was interrupted.

“It’s me.” The female voice replied. Tony’s irritation disappeared when he heard the Scottish accent on the other end.

“What’s up?” he asked, not taking his eyes off the younger man.

“I have the info you wanted on Moore.” She replied.

“That was quick. Anything important?”

“Not really. He is clean and confirms Evlon was there with him all Sunday.” She sounded like she was still reading something.

“You called him already?” he asked, surprised.

“He was on my list.” She explained.

“You have a list? When did you make a list?” he screwed up his face.

“When are you gonna stop asking stupid questions?” she retailiated. “Anyway, I don’t think he did it.”

“I’m with you there. Gimme 5 minutes to release him then meet me in the lab.” He told her.

“Ok, see you soon.” She hung up and headed down the lab.