- Text Size +
Chapter 7

Mac banged her knuckles against the smooth wood of the door and waited for a reply. She heard a hand clasp on the inside door handle and twist, pulling back the door slightly as a male head peered through the gap.

“What do you want, Mac?” the Director asked tiredly, rubbing both his eyes with one hand.

“I wanted to see how you were.” She stated quietly, resting her head against the inside of the closed door. “Can I come in?” she asked solemnly, biting her bottom lip.

“Sure.” He sighed reluctantly, opening the door so she could squeeze through.

“Thanks.” She pushed herself through the gap and into the office, shutting the heavy door behind her. “So how are you holding up Tim?” she asked as he sat down on the couch and gestured for her to join him there.

“Alright.” He growled as she sat down beside him.

“You know damn well you can't lie to me, McGee.” She smiled, and lifted his head up so he looked her directly in the eye. “How are you?” she asked slowly in a commanding tone.

“I dunno, Mac.” He relaxed and slouched back in the chair. Mac could see the pain in his eyes, he was hurting and she knew how that felt.

“You’re in pain.” Mac stated, looking at the dark floor and clasping her hands together.

“Yeah.” He chuckled, trying to lighten the mood.

“I know how you feel.” She straightened up, her back suddenly becoming stiff. “You wanna yell out and scream and cry.” She related, and he mumbled in agreement. “Maybe you should.” She suggested.

“It won't help.” He sighed and let his head roll onto the back of the sofa. Mac comfortingly clasped his hand in hers and he sat up straight, towering taller than her.

“Come here.” She pulled him into a tight embrace, wrapping her hands around his neck. He returned the gesture, locking his arms around her waist and leaning his head on her shoulder. Her hand ran comfortingly through his hair as she felt his warm tears soak through her t-shirt.

“I’m sorry.” He sobbed, his voice muffled but she could still hear the sorrow.

“You have nothing to be sorry for McGee.” She told him. “I’ll get the person who did this, Tim.” She whispered in his ear. “I promise.”

They were interrupted by a shrill vibrating from Mac’s belt. She distanced herself from McGee and stood, pulling the device from her leather belt.

“Phone?” he asked, rubbing his eyes dry and adjusting his shirt.

“Pager.” She corrected, highlighting the screen and reading the number. “Can I use your phone?” she asked, clipping the pager back on her belt.

“Sure.” He granted and she moved behind his large desk quickly, yanking up the receiver and holding it to her ear. “Where is your cell?” he asked, also standing.

“I must’ve left it in the bullpen.” She explained, finished dialing and waited for a reply on the line. She heard a male voice answer with his name, the tapping of a keyboard in the background. “Hey, I’m hitting you back. What’s up?” she asked, leaning on the desk with one hand as she listened to his explanation.

“Abby wants to see us.” Tony stated, and Mac could tell his attention was focused on something else.

“I figured it would take a couple of hours to get a good set of results. She is on time.” Mac smiled, running a hand through her hair as she watched McGee listen in intently, and supposedly inconspicuously, but it was obvious he was hanging on her every word.

“Meet you down in the lab?”

“On my way.” She replied, and set the handset back on the base. “I’ll see you later, McGee. I hope you are ok.” She moved to him, rubbed his arm caringly before opening the door slightly and sliding back though the gap.

--------------------

“Abby?” Mac called as she entered the lab, Tony a few inches behind her.

“Hey you guys.” She greeting, spinning round from the computer to see the agents.

“What have you got for us, Abs?” Mac asked, moving swiftly to her friend’s side.

“I ran the list like you asked; most of them were clean. So clean, in fact, Ducky could perform a sterile autopsy on them in Tony’s house.” She beamed.

“That’s a nice analogy you’ve got there, Abs. And if it is true, then they must be very clean.” Mac smiled and poked her tongue out at Tony, who cocked his head to the side and narrowed his eyes jokingly towards her.

“Some of them have records,” she continued. “Mainly for minor crimes; shoplifting; drunk and disorderly; indecent public exposure. And that is just Tony.”

“You are on a roll, girl.” Mac smiled and held a clenched fist out towards her, which Abby met with a closed fist of her own.

“And then I came on these guys.” Abby tapped frantically at the keyboard and they all watched 2 mug shots fly onto the screen. Mac and Tony moved to the plasma in front of the bench for a better look at the 2 men. “Number 1.” Abby stated, pulling the first picture in front of the second. “Martin Potter. Caucasian male, 45. Sarah has a character called Mitchell Porter. He’s one of the baddies.” Abby recited as Mac read over his wrap sheet.

“Not him.” She said quickly before Tony or Abby had finished reading.

“How’d you figure?” Abby asked, screwing up her face in confusion and peering round the bench to look at Mac.

“In prison, has been for 4 years and will be for another 3.” Mac told them “Says so right here.” She pointed to the last box on the screen; current status.

“Oh.” Tony contributed.

“What about the other guy?” Mac asked and Abby switched the photos.

“Ah, he’s a piece of work. Eduardo Ramirez. Hispanic male, 39. Known gang member and the probable leader of a ring of 15 or so cronies according to Metro PD; they have been after him for a few years. He keeps sliding on circumstantial evidence and hearsay.” Abby read from her screen.

“Interesting.” Mac mumbled, chewing on the fingernail of her thumb.

“I’m already running his picture, prints and record through every database I could…” she stopped mid-sentence when both screens flashed on and off red.

“Good timing?” Mac asked with a smile as Abby pulled the results.

“His prints match prints found at a crime scene in Texas, just off the Mexican border. Police had no leads, no matches on anything, couldn’t get any evidence to hold Ramirez and the case went cold.” She read from the screen. “Give me a second to pull the case file.” She began typing quickly again as Mac moved to her side and watched over her shoulder.

“A murder case from 4 months ago.” Mac read and looked up at Tony.

“Yeah, a young woman. Says here her throat was slit and there was also a stab wound to the abdomen.” Abby’s voice grew quiet. “The print they found was from a knife. They suspected him, but he walked.” Abby was surprised.

“I think we should pay Mr. Ramirez a visit.” Mac said to Tony, who joined her side.

“No known residence, but hotel charges were made to his credit card last week in Virginia.” She told them. “Here’s the address.” She noted on a post it and stuck it to Mac’s chest.

“Thanks Abby.” Mac nodded before turning and following Tony out of the lab.