- Text Size +
Chapter 8

Tony pulled the large hotel door open and let Mac enter the large lobby first. He slipped off his sunglasses and placed them in his pocket, but Mac kept hers on as they approached the main desk.

“Hello, how can I help you?” a young man asked, his hair over gelled into a side parting. He was a little too small for his crisp uniform, and his watery brown eyes too small for his face.

“Yeah,” Tony began, quickly glancing at Mac before continuing. “We would like a room. The bridal suite if you have it, we are on our honeymoon.” Tony grasped at her and wrapped his arm around her waist, a giant grin on his face.

“Get the fuck off me.” She slapped off his hand with a grin and punched him in the arm roughly. “NCIS.” She pulled out her ID and opened it up, showing him her badge and credentials.

“NCIS? Is that like the FBI?” he asked, reading her ID intently.

“No!” the both cried simultaneously.

“NCIS. Naval Criminal Investigative Service.” Tony explained, leaning on the arm he had placed in the counter.

“Federal Agents. Armed Federal Agents.” Mac gritted her teeth, and nearly smiled as she saw the man gulp nervously.

“What do you want ma’am?” he reasserted himself badly, straightening his jacket.

“This man stayed here.” She said, placing Ramirez’s headshot on the dark counter. “His name is Eduardo Ramirez. Where is he?”

“He was here,” the man coughed.

“Yeah, I know that. We wouldn’t be here other wise.” She said pityingly, not in the mood to deal with people. “Where is he now?”

“I don’t know. He left last week.” He shrugged.

“Do you have any idea where he may be?” Tony growled.

“I heard him say something about going back home.”

“Home?”

“Mexico I think.” The young man stuttered. “He was only here for a week, and then he was going back to Mexico.”

“Damn it.” Mac muttered, rubbing her eyes with her hand. “Can we see his room?” she asked, leaning both hands on the counter.

“I’m not sure,”

“Hey buddy,” Tony held out a hand to silence him. “Where is his room?”

“Third floor, room 175.” He reluctantly told him.

“Can we have a key, or will we shoot the door in?” Mac asked seriously, and the man sighed, dug an electronic keycard out from under the desk and handed it to Mac.

“Here.”

“Thank you.” She pushed herself from the counter and headed over towards the elevator. “Come on Tony.”

“On your six, Mac.” He said slowly, annunciating every word carefully. They stepped into the metal box and let the doors close in front of them.

-----------------------

Mac slid the keycard into the slot and whipped it out, watching the green light flash on. Tony pulled the door handle down and let it swing open before they both entered the crisp room.

“It’s been cleaned.” Tony stated, running his eyes over the tight white sheets.

“Well it’s been a week, I should hope so.” She said absently, her eyes focused on the floor. “Blood drops.” She stated, crouching down next to them.

She pulled a few swabs from her kit and twirled one in the blood. She rubbed the blood onto the plastic tester and waited a minute for the results. “Human.” She told him, gazing down at the tester.

“Brilliant.” Tony sighed sarcastically as Mac swabbed the drops a few more times and clipped the cover over the bud, sealing them in an evidence bag and sliding them back into her rucksack.

Mac then pulled out her camera and snapped a few shots of the drops. “Direction of splatter heads towards the bathroom.” She looked up at the thin door which Tony moved to and yanked open.

“You got a print kit?” Tony peered back round the door towards her.

“Sure.” She pulled it out of her bag and tossed it to him. Tony caught it in his right hand and reentered the bathroom.

5 minutes later he returned and slid the evidence bag into the black rucksack. “There’s nothing else here.” She sighed, standing up and slinging the back over her shoulder. “Let’s go.” She headed for the door.

“Back to the Navy Yard?” he asked, the door swinging shut behind him.

“I have to swing by the airport and pick Chris up.” she hit the ‘down’ button for the elevator.

“But we only have one car?” he said, confused.

“That’s why you’re coming with me.” She smiled as the doors slid shut.

--------------------

Mac pushed through the busy terminal to arrivals while Tony stayed in the car. She stood in silence among a varied crowd for 10 minutes before she saw him emerge from the gate.

“Hey, honey.” He approached her, a duffel bag held over his shoulder.

“Hi,” she replied softly as he reached her. Chris secured an arm around her waist and kissed her deeply, locking with her tongue. “What’s come over you?” she broke away from him reluctantly. “I’ve only been away a few hours.” She laughed as he ran a hand threw her hair.

“Well I missed you.” He grinned goofily, and she looked at him as if that wasn’t the whole story. “And that was the most boring flight I have ever been on.” He admitted.

“Hmm hmm.” She bit her lip as he kissed her again, longer this time.

“Please, get a room.” Tony scoffed from between them and the reluctantly parted.

“You don’t have to look.” She turned to him, but Chris didn’t remove his arm, so Mac stood with her back pressed against his front, his arm holding her protectively to him.

“Actually, I do. We have evidence we have to get back home.” He explained as she sighed, leaning her head onto Chris’ chest. “And I thought you hated public displays of affection?” he questioned, angrily eyeing his strong arm.

“Well, I do. But he kissed me so I will take any in I can get.” She grinned as he kissed her neck slowly.

“Well, come on.” Tony tugged at her restlessly.

“Fine.” She agreed unenthusiastically, holding Chris’ hand as she led him outside.

“Hey, DiNozzo,” Tony began to ask him, “Can you drop me at the hospital?” he fell into step with his wife.

“Sure.” He smiled, slipping on his sunglasses as the three of them crossed to the car.