- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
In an world where personal choice has become extinct, and it's illegal for anyone over the age of thirty to be unwed, can Tony and Abby find a way to beat the system and be happy?
Title: Just A Month
Author: CJ aka WritinginCT
Fandom: NCIS
Pairing: Abby/DiNozzo
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: AU, suspension of civil liberties
Categories: Romance, Drama
Feedback: Love it? Hate it?
Disclaimer: I don’t own the recognizable characters I’m just inspired by them. Hopefully they’ve had fun playing in my sandbox.
Summary: In an world where personal choice has become extinct, and it's illegal for anyone over the age of thirty to be unwed, can Tony and Abby find a way to beat the system and be happy?
Status: WIP

---------------

Tony glared at the letter on his desk. He verified the dates on it as he put in a request for IMC leave. He muttered curses under his breath as he filled out the triplicate form. He finally finished it and signed the thing in irritation. He noticed that Gibbs wasn't at his desk and wondered how angry he would be when Tony handed him the loathsome form.

----------

Little did Tony know but Gibbs was already in a fury caused by the IMC. He was down in Abby's lab hugging a sobbing Abby for all he was worth, her own letter from the IMC crumpled in her hand. Her words cut right into him, and there was absolutely nothing he could do, "It's not fair, Gibbs. They shouldn't be allowed to do this. It's not right. It's just not right. Make it go away, Gibbs. Please. Please make it go away."

He stroked her hair and whispered, "I'm sorry Abs, I'd fix it if I could. It's just a month. It'll be over before you know it."

It took her a long time to finally calm down enough for him to let her go. And he stayed with her as she filled out the required triplicate form.

He left her to at the entrance to the ladies room, so she could wash her face and he headed back up to the bullpen.

----------

Tony could see that Gibbs was in a foul mood as he entered the bullpen, and that he already had an IMC form in his hand. Tony approached Gibbs' desk, and waited for the furious man to look up at him. Soon enough the blue eyes lifted to meet Tony's and seeing the look on Tony's face and turning his attention to the form Tony was holding out to him he sighed heavily. He couldn't take his anger out on Tony, it wasn't his fault.

"Sorry, Boss." Tony said quietly.

Gibbs scrubbed his face with his hands and looked back up at Tony, "It's not your fault, Tony." He quickly glanced at the form Tony handed to him and did a quick comparison to Abby's. "Looks like you and Abby are assigned the same month and the same facility."

Tony looked at the second form in Gibbs hand as what Gibbs just said sank in, "Is she alright, Boss?" The last time that Abby had to fulfill her requirement she had cried for a week solid and had just about broken everyone's hearts.

"Not even close, DiNozzo."

Tony sighed and raked his hand through his hair, "Isn't there some loophole we can find for her, Boss? There's got to be something."

"I've tried. I was able to postpone it because she had to testify in court, but I can only do that so many times. She's got to put the time in and get it over with. Same as you."

"I hate this, Boss. This'll be my fourth go'round. You'd think they would get the hint that its never going to work. This is Abby's second time right?"

He could see Gibbs gritting his teeth, and he knew that the idea that there wasn't anything he could do for Abby was tearing him up inside. Gibbs frowned at the two forms in front of him before quickly signing both. "Yeah." he said, tossing the pen down on the desk.

Gibbs took the paperwork and headed up the stairs to the Director's office leaving Tony alone in the bullpen with his thoughts.

---------------
tbc....


a/n - this is a weird little plot I've had buzzing in my head for a while. It's an odd odd AU.