- Text Size +
---------------

They were nestling up to some big bowls of hot fudge laden ice cream at a table near the windows when Tony heard his name called across the cafeteria. He and Abby both looked in the direction of the voice to see a short, plump woman with a big smile making her way towards them with carrying a lunch tray. A matching smile crossed Tony's face and he stood took her tray and put it on the table to give the woman a big hug.

They both started talking animatedly at once and then laughed at themselves. Abby smiled, this must be the infamous Catherine. Tony had described her to Abby and he didn't have enough nice things to say about her. It was nice to see that the woman was just as glad to see Tony as he was her.

"Oh, hey, sorry. Catherine this is Abby Sciuto, Abby this is Cathrine Spinelli, the poor woman that had to put up with being in isolation with me the last time."

Catherine smiled warmly and shook Abby's hand, Tony had spoken often of Abby, and he seemed extremely fond of her. "It's nice to meet you Abby." She glanced around with a frown, "Well maybe not under these circumstances. But what can you do?"

"You too, Catherine. Tony told us all about you. And we all decided you deserved a medal for being cooped up with a cranky Tony." Abby teased.

Catherine winked conspiratorially, "He was only a little cranky."

Tony whined playfully, "I AM in the room."

Both women turned to face him, "We know."

They all laughed and sat down to talk and eat lunch. "So your boss must not be too pleased to have you both here at the same time." Catherine prompted.

That started their conversation going and Abby found herself very at ease with Catherine and the feeling was mutual. They talked for quite a while as they ate. Finally Tony gave Catherine one of his “I'm trying to figure you out” looks and asked, “Okay, something's different. Tell me.”

A hesitant little smile crossed Catherine's face and she said quickly, “I met someone.”

It took Tony a second to digest that, “What? Not here?”

Catherine laughed, “No. Although he'll be here later, we have an appointment with the the Participation Suspension officer after the follow up session.”

A wide smile crossed Tony's face, “Okay, now I really need details. That is great news.”

“Well his name is Stan, he's an obstetrician that started at the hospital while you and I were in isolation, I met him when I went back to work. It started out as coffee in the hospital cafeteria and one thing led to another and we've been talking about getting married. We're having the meeting later to get our paperwork approved so we'll have a year to either get married or start participating in the isolation sessions again. He's a really great guy, Tony. I think you'd like him.”

“Any guy that can put a smile that big on your face has got to be a great guy. I am so happy for you, Catherine, I really mean that.”

“Catherine, that is so awesome. I'm glad you met someone the old fashioned way.” Abby said a bit wistfully.

Catherine had been watching the two of them throughout lunch and coupled what she saw with all of the things Tony had told her about Abby when they were in isolation. He had spoken often of her, always so warmly and his eyes had grown soft. She had suspected that deep down Tony was halfway in to being in love with Abby even if he didn't know it. And now watching the two of them together she realized that they were good together, similar senses of humor partnered with a seriousness when they needed to be, and most importantly an obvious physical comfort with each other as they unconsciously touched each other often as they spoke. She wondered what would happen if they were isolated together.

---------------

The afternoon follow up session was held in one of the larger rec rooms where the staff had placed the chairs in a large circle. Tony sat with Abby on side and Catherine on the other. He had to struggle not to smirk as the ogre entered the room and upon seeing Tony took the seat furthest away from Abby as he could get and still be in the room.

The counselor started the session and they all spoke freely about their last isolation session, and whether or not they wanted a repeat session with the same person to try again. Most everyone said no, but there was one couple that requested a second session.

Tony noticed a guy across the circle from them that kept looking at Abby. Dressed in black jeans with a black t-shirt, he was a handsome guy in a metro-sexual sort of way. He was younger than Tony and his short spiked dirty blond hair made him look even younger. He had some intricate tattoos showing on his forearms and heavy silver rings on his fingers. There was certainly a gleam of interest in his eyes as he looked at Abby that Tony wasn't quite sure how to feel about.

The session ended and they all made their way out of the room. There was a man standing in the hallway waiting for someone. He was on the short side for a guy, dressed conservatively in khakis and a golf shirt, his dark hair neatly trimmed and his expression pleasant but neutral. Until he saw Catherine. Then an enormous smile spread across his face and his brown eyes lit up.

Catherine dragged Tony and Abby over and introduced them to Stanley. Tony could almost see the sparks flying between them. And he couldn't have been happier for them. They chatted for a few minutes before Catherine and Stan had to go to their appointment.

After they left Tony scrubbed his face with his hands, realizing that he didn't have anywhere else to be, and he didn't know what he wanted to do.

When he dropped his hands he immediately saw a smirking Abby and he couldn't help but smile, wondering what she was up to now.
She took his hand and pulled him off towards one of the smaller rec rooms, “Let's snag one of the game consoles and blow up mutants. It will make us feel better.”

Tony just laughed and went along for the ride, glad that she was feeling a little better and smiling again.

---------------

tbc...