- Text Size +
They played video games until they both decided that they were starving and headed to the cafeteria. The two of them sat at a small table for two and tried to ignore everyone else around them. Tony had her in stitches laughing as he recounted a McGee anecdote from the first case they had worked together.

She in turn shared some stories about her college years and had him laughing just as hard. It was easy for them to forget about everyone else for a while.

One of the monitors was going table to table passing out a schedule of the recreational activities available for the week. There was everything from pickup basketball in the gymnasium to ballroom dancing lessons in one of the rec rooms. The IMC really didn't want the participants to be bored out of their minds, and provided a wide variety with the hopes that participants with similar interests would gravitate together.

They read through the lists, finding things that interested them both, and some things they wanted to do on their own.

After dinner Tony felt the need to burn off some energy in the gym on the treadmill. Abby was going to find a nook and snuggle up with a new technical manual that she had been wanting to read and try and avoid ogres.

---------------

Tony ran until the burn in his lungs was too much to take and he cooled down and got off the treadmill. The gym was surprisingly busy. All of the treadmills were in use and there were folks waiting patiently to use some of the stations.

He wiped his sopping face and head on a towel and heard a woman's voice from behind him ask, “Are you done with this one?”

He turned and tried not to let his mouth fall open like a teenager at the sight of the woman. About thirty, she was petite and the little sports bra and shorts set she was wearing showed off that she was extremely toned. Adding that she was very tanned with blond hair and blue eyes, she was just gorgeous.

His brain tried to engage and think of something clever, but it didn't work. “Yeah.”

She grinned, but he noticed there was tension in her expression, and the smile didn't reach her eyes, which were a little frosty, “Great.”

When he didn't move so she could get to the treadmill she prompted, “Um, kinda hard to get by.”

He broke his obvious stare and in an instant, his usual flirty self was back and he found himself teasing her even though he didn't think she would be receptive, “Oh. You want to use the treadmill. I thought you were just asking if I were done so we could trade life stories over a bottle of water.”

She scrunched up her nose and shook her head, “Nope, sorry. Just need to run.”

Tony could take a hint and stepped aside and waved his hand towards the treadmill, “All yours.”

She stepped past him and stood on the treadmill and started programing in her workout as Tony headed for the door. He paused and turned to looked back at her and to his surprise her eyes met his and she smiled lightly, one that warm and friendly. He gave her a little wink and headed for the showers.

---------------

Abby had found a favorite little hiding place during her first stay at the IMC. It was a little alcove tucked away on the backside of the music room. She enjoyed listening to the music as she read, and the variety of people at the facility guaranteed that the music would be varied and interesting.

She heard someone playing piano, not well, but with obvious enjoyment. And it only took her a moment to realize that they were playing themes from movies. A few minutes later the piano stopped an the music room was quiet.

Abby lost herself in her book until the deep sounds of a cello being played pulled her attention back to the music room. The music was both familiar and strange all at the same time, until she realized that whoever was playing, was playing some of her favorite techno tunes on the cello. She listened with a smile.

The cello player was a master, and when they switched from the techno tunes to the movie themes she figured out that it was the same person that had been playing the piano. After a few of those themes they played Lux Aeterna and Abby was completely mesmerized. When that short piece was done another haunting piece started. Achingly beautiful, it moved Abby to near tears. She somehow knew that the piece was an original. And she just had to see who it was that created something so beautiful.

She rounded the corner and looked through the window of music room door to see the gorgeous blonde guy from their session earlier sitting in profile playing the antique cello with his eyes closed, and unbridled passion on his face. His silver rings glinted as his hands moved effortlessly over the instrument.

Abby could only stare. And somehow he must have felt her stare on him because his eyes opened and he turned his head towards the door to meet her eyes. They held the gaze for a long moment and the music never stopped. Abby finally blushed and smiled and he returned it. She gave him a little wave through the glass and turned and walked back towards the dormitory.

---------------
tbc...