- Text Size +
“Come on luv,” Spike paused as Kate tried hitting him again, it was a quick flurry of punches by human standards but to a vampire or slayer they were way too slow and being telegraphed about ten minutes in advance.

Kate was the first one to agree to train with the two new members of their team, curious herself as to what vampires were really capable of, so when they’d got in this morning they’d both decided to hit the gym for a while, while Harris and Tony tracked down the dead marine’s phone and e-mail records.

“Ok, I get it,” Kate paused for a breather, they’d been at this nearly an hour and she hadn’t managed to land one punch on Spike, though he had managed to land all of his, tossing her around like a rag doll when she’d tried variations on martial arts against him. “You’re faster than me, stronger than me, and a better fighter.”

“Doesn’t mean dick,” Spike said, fetching Kate’s drink from the side of the mat and throwing it over to her. “Brawlin’ ain’t about any of that bollocks, it’s about what in ‘ere,” He prodded her in the chest where her heart was.

“You always full of it,” A voice sneered from behind them. “Or just when you’re fighting femmes?”

“Say wot?” Spike sneered back, spinning round to see a large marine watching them with a group of his friends behind him. He’d seen them training on the other side of the gym and hadn’t paid much notice to them, now he wished he had.

“I said,” The marine sneered at him again. “You up for a real fight, or do you only right women?”

Spike grinned, giving the man the once over. He must have been about six foot, maybe six two. Arms as thick as Spike’s neck, the sort of kid everyone else in his unit must have looked up to, but his face said he was a bully, pure and simple. This must have been his ‘team’, all itching to be taken down a peg or two. He noticed that their ‘talk’ was attracting attention from the rest of the gym, where everyone else had stopped in their training to watch how this played out. “Sorry mate, not interested, training with the lady ‘ere.” Spike waved him off, Xander had warned him that a lot of the marine’s on base would be weary of strangers, wanting to immediately find out where their place was in the pecking order of things.

“New recruit doesn’t want to play,” The marine sneered at him. “Limey as well by the sound of it, too coward to fight properly?”

Spike just stopped in his step, pausing to look up at Kate, clearly asking for permission to tear this marine a new one. She smiled, nodding slowly. “No broken bones or biting though.” She said softly, knowing that Spike would be the only one that could hear it, and was rewarded by a satisfied smirk when he nodded back at her.

“Fine,” Spike span round, missing the fact that he didn’t have his usual duster on, gym clothes was mandatory in the base gym apparently, or so Kate had told him. So he’d borrowed some of DiNozzo’s kit for today, stating that he’d get his own tomorrow. “Any rules,” He sneered out. “Or freestyle like it should be?”

“Whatever you choose,” The marine smirked at him, bowing mockingly as the rest of his friends moved off the mats.

Spine just smiled as he stood about a foot apart from the marine in the center of the mat. The marine was easily half a foot taller than him, maybe more. Had the advantage on muscle mass and weight, if this was a match between any other people, he’d put his money on the marine.

The marine obviously wasn’t interested in psychoanalysing Spike though; as soon as the mat was clear he dropped into a fighting position and threw a punch directly at Spikes stomach, which he deftly caught, stepping out of the way and grabbing the fist by the wrist.

“That’s ‘ow they train you nancy boys?” Spike smirked, pushing the fist away with a twist and stepping back. “No wonder you can’t fight proper.”

Kate was doing her best not to laugh from the side of the mat, she trusted Spike to stop before it got out of hand, it was then that she realized that even though Spike and Xander had only been with them a short time, she was growing the trust them a lot, nearly as much as she trusted Gibbs.

“Ole!” Spike shouted with a grin and a flourish as he span on the mat, completely ignoring the charging marine that he grunted something as he passed him by line a matador would a charging bull. “They loved that in Spain as well luv,” Spike winked at her with a smirk.

“Spike, we don’t have all day,” Kate smiled back at him, shaking her head at his antics as he continued to humiliate the marine by avoiding all of his punches and landing some humiliating slaps of his own, designed obviously to enrage the marine and cause him to make a mistake.

“You’re right,” Gibbs’ voice came from behind Kate. “We don’t.”

Turning round she saw Gibbs watching the fight with interest while Xander was quite happily lazing against the wall with a mug of coffee.

“Boss?” She asked, raising an eyebrow at the sheet of paper he had in his hand.

“Corporal Grimms placed a number of calls to a pawn shop the day he died,” Gibbs passed her the note. “Each one lasting over a minute.”

“You want to check it out.” Kate nodded.

As Xander walked over he smiled as Spike avoided the large marine yet again, hooking his foot round the marine’s ankle as he moved out of the way and sending the marine sprawling to the floor.

“How long can he keep this up for?” Gibbs asked when Harris arrived at their side.

“Until he gets bored,” Xander smiled at him. “Or until told to finish it.”

“Finish it.” As the words left Gibbs mouth he saw a blur of motion out of his eye, Spike now was behind the marine, pinning him in a choke hold that shouldn’t have worked given the difference in size and mass, but the marine was dropping to his knees sharply, giving Spike the opportunity to grab his head in a modified version of the training they were taught to snap someone’s neck.

“Sorry mate,” Spike sneered in his ear. “Boss man wanted it finished.” With that he pushed the marine onto his chest where he lie on the mats for a moment choking and trying to get his breath back as Spike snapped off a sloppy salute to Gibbs with a smirk.

“So he can follow orders,” Gibbs smirked, saluting back before walking off with Kate laughing behind him.

“Enjoy that?” Xander asked as Spike moved off the mat, the rest of the gym cheering him on as the marines slunk out of the gym defeated.

“Bloody therapeutic that was,” Spike grinned, walking with Xander round the mats to the changing area. “I'll catch up, not being stuck in nancy boy’s clothes all day.” He nodded to Xander before stalking off in the direction of the changing rooms so he could get back into his usual black instead of the bright red and grey jogging suit he was wearing now.

“Don’t be long,” Xander shouted out after Spike as he watched him disappear into the locker room. Turning to Kate he smiled. “Learn anything today?”

Kate nodded slowly. “He’s fast, strong, excellent fighter,” She paused, considering something. “And choke holds don’t work on him.”

Xander laughed, shaking his head in amusement. “Why would they? He doesn’t need to breathe.”

“I should have thought of that,” Kate admitted. “I saw him smoking so I assumed he breathed.”

“It’s just another muscle to him,” Xander explained. “He can breathe if he wants to, but he doesn’t need to. He prefers to pass for human as much as he can, so he’ll breathe hard after exercising, smoke, drink, eat normal food, even though he doesn’t get anything from it.” Xander paused, looking at Kate seriously. “But he isn’t human, never forget that.”

“Got it,” Kate nodded. “I'll catch up too,” She smiled before walking off into the ladies locker rooms.

“I hope you don’t.” Xander muttered under his breath, watching her leave before he turned and moved off to follow after Gibbs back to their main office. He’d seen Spike and Kate getting closer; she seemed to have accepted him quite easily while Tony and Gibbs were still wary of him. He was an unknown, that explained Gibbs attitude, Tony was just afraid of him, but was slowly getting past it and was talking to him more and more, finding they shared the same sense of humour. Eying the gym one last time he walked out of the doors, smiling as they swung shut behind him causing a soft breeze to wash over him. It was too hot in Washington he’d decided, he was used to Cleveland temperatures now, and Washington in the summer was definitely worse, not as bad as Sunnydale used to be, but still hot.

--------------------------

“Thinking he was setting up a meet?” Xander asked as he sat on his desk watching Gibbs type something slowly on the computer.

“Could be,” Gibbs nodded to him, pausing to look round the office. “Where is DiNozzo?”

“Firing range,” Xander nodded. “Said he needed the practice for some reason,” Xander explained.

“Previous owner of the pawn shop is doing time,” Gibbs read off his computer. “Interstate trafficking, his daughter’s running it now.”

“Following in her father’s footsteps maybe?” Xander offered, eying the picture of the terrorist on the wall, where his knife was still embedded in the forehead, pinning it to the wall effectively.

“Looks like an undercover job,” Gibbs said slowly, looking at the monitor that displayed information about the pawn shop.

“What took so long?” Xander asked as Kate and Spike made it into the office finally.

“Couldn’t find my ID,” Spike muttered under his breath. “Left it in me jacket.”

“I had to explain to the staff sergeant who he was and why he was in the gym,” Kate smiled.

“Carry it,” Xander said simply, fishing the ID wallet out of Spike’s leather jacket and throwing it over to him. “Always!”

“Who wants it then?” Gibbs asked, looking at Xander first then Spike.

“Wot?” Spike asked, clipping the ID wallet to his belt quickly while Kate smirked at him.

“Undercover,” Xander explained.

“Renegade enlisted baring gifts straight from the source,” Gibbs rattled off his plan. “I’m not going to cut it, so it’s you,” He pointed to Xander, “Or you.” He pointed to Spike, settling his gaze on him for a while.

“Spike,” Xander said without a moment’s thought.

“Dangerous?” Spike asked with a grin, “Chance of a good punch up?” as Gibbs nodded to him the grin got larger. “I’m in.”

“Why him?” Gibbs asked, nodding to Spike.

“No one’s going to believe I’m newly enlisted,” Xander paused, pointing to the eye patch. “Renegade yes, new marine no.” He shook his head and his long curls fell loose. “Spike’s got the shifty look, young enough to pass as a new marine and can hold his own in a fight better than anyone else here.”

“I agree,” Gibbs stated. “But not enlisted,” Gibbs paused in thought. “Approaching this early might tip her that there’s something off.” Giving Spike the once over he smiled. “Think you can play a complete scum bag?”

“Play?” Xander quipped with a grin.

“Just out of prison, looking to sell weapons to the highest bidder?” Gibbs continued.

“Typical terrorist slime bag?” Spike nodded. “You got your man.”

“Go and see Abby, tell her you need a complete ID, slimy and dark as they come.” Gibbs ordered, smiling when Spike didn’t bother to even say anything before dashing out of the room.

“Never done undercover before?” He asked, turning to Xander.

“We don’t normally do that,” Xander nodded. “Less subtle, more explosions and fighting.”

“Can he do it?” Gibbs asked thoughtfully.

----------------------

“Will!” Spike announced when Abby asked for a name.

“Too boring,” Abby announced, putting the finishing touches to the ID she was creating for him. “We want slime, complete untrustworthy idiot.”

“Angel?” Spike quipped with a grin.

“Too Mexican,” Abby waved it off. “Gus?”

“Boring,” Spike mock yawned. “Got it, complete slime right? Guy that would do anything for money with no conscious and piss off as many people as he can?”

Abby smiled, raising her eyebrow at him.

“Riley Finn!” Spike announced with a laugh.

“I like it!” Abby smiled back, tapping the keyboard as she entered the relevant data along with Spike’s photo and details. “Military background?” She asked.

“Kicked out for fighting,” Spike announced proudly, putting together a picture of how Riley acted in his head.

“Dishonourable discharge,” Abby smiled at him. “Punching his CO in a drunken rage?”

“Now we’re talking,” Spike laughed. “Time in the joint?”

“Five years,” Abby looked over at Spike for a moment, estimating his physical age. “Two years Leavenworth.”

“Crime?” Spike asked, thinking of the funniest thing he could picture Riley being arrested for.

“Drugs?” Abby asked. “Always a safe bet.”

“Too safe,” Spike shook his head. “Prostitution!” He grinned.

“Male prostitute,” Abby grinned at him. “Inventive.” She started tapping on the keys. “Got three to five for solicitation, paroled in two.”

“Three to five for solicitation?” Gibbs asked with a raised eyebrow as he entered the room.

“Riley Finn, dishonourable discharge for fighting with ‘is,” Spike paused, trying to remember the letters Abby said. “CO.” He grinned as he got it. “Then arrested for being a male prostitute.”

“Parole came up last week,” Abby grinned over at Gibbs who was shaking his head in amusement.

“Colourful.” Gibbs stated with a smirk. “Make it solicitation and possession of GHB or Rohypnol, whatever was in circulation when he went in.”

“GHB.” Abby stated simply, adding the data. “Prostitution and date rape drugs to rob people, nice touch boss.”

“We’ve got a problem boss,” Kate announced as she walked in the forensics lab with Xander. “He was transporting a lot of heavy weaponry with a ‘Lieutenant McLain’; most of the boxes weren’t signed for on delivery.”

“‘Old up, I know that bint,” Spike announced from the printer where he was picking up the ID’s that Abby was printing off for him, “Chatted to ‘er in the gym back at the boxing place, said she’d only seen ‘im a few times in passing.”

“I think we need to have another talk with Miss McLain after we’ve found out more about where these weapons were being delivered.” Gibbs stated, annoyed at this revelation. Turning to Spike he eyed the ID’s that Spike was waving in the air to help them dry quicker. “You good to go Riley?”

“Riley?” Xander asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Riley Finn,” Spike smirked. “Dishonourable wotsit before arrested for prostitution.”

“Only you,” Xander laughed, shaking his head at Spike who was grinning at him. “Only you.”

Spike laughed back at him, happy that the ID’s were dry before sliding them into his personal wallet and taking his federal one off his belt and throwing it to Xander.

“Kate, you’re with Xander, go back and talk to Miss McLain,” Gibbs smiled as both Xander and Kate nodded before jogging back to the office. “Looks like you’ve got me for backup.” He smirked at Spike.

“Like I'll need it,” Spike sneered back with a smirk.

----------------------------

The pawn shop was just as Spike had imagined it to be as he strode in the entrance, a few kids leaving the shop as he walked in. There were stereos and TV’s scattered about the place, a few lamps and games consoles on shelves, none of it in particularly good condition.

“Can I help you?” The woman behind the desk asked, she was short, about five five with strawberry blonde hair and pale blue eyes.

“Lookin’ for Abe.” Spike said with a smirk, taking off his sunglasses and leering at the woman behind the counter, playing his ‘slime ball’ persona up as much as he could.

“Not here.” The woman announced, turning to the till and depositing some money in the drawer.

“When’s ‘e back?” Spike asked, hopping up onto the counter so he could look down at the woman, effectively looking down her low cut top with a smirk.

“Three to five,” She announced, stepping away from him.

“Busted,” Spike grinned as he slid off the counter.

“‘Fraid so,” She replied, smiling as he moved back to a neutral position. “You a friend of my father’s?”

“Business,” Spike snapped back, ready to put his sunglasses back on and pretend to get ready to leave the store. “Just business.”

“Maybe we could do business together,” the woman smiled at him, coming out from behind the counter and walking over to him, pressing her hand against his chest. “Or something else may be?”

“Flattered luv,” Spike grinned. “But I’ve got other buyers.” Putting his sunglasses back on he turned to leave the store.

“Whatever my father paid,” The woman announced, stepping in front of him. “I'll double it.”

Spike just raised his eyebrow, looking down at her. “Serious?”

“Always about business.” The woman stated, fully in business mode now, the earlier flirting smile gone completely.

“Abe paid top dollar.” Spike announced, playing the betting man again.

“Bring me what you’ve got,” She smiled at him. “Then we can talk money.”

“Already ‘ere,” Spike grinned.

“Show me.” She stated firmly.

“Car’s outside,” Spike grinned, happy that this was going so well. “Care to join me?”

“After you.” The woman waved to the door, causing Spike to raise his eyebrow again before walking out of the pawn shop and over to the van he had driven here with the ‘toys’ in the back. Pausing to check she was behind him and that no one else was about he opened the back doors, revealing the cases of weapons that Gibbs had got for him to ‘sell’.

“Two cases of M16’s, one set of LAWS.” He repeated what Gibbs had made him memorise so he wouldn’t forget the names of the weapons and blow his cover. Walking away from the vane he positioned himself so the woman would have to move away from the van to talk to him, putting her in a perfect position for Gibbs to photograph her from the front and side as she walked round to talk to him.

“Where did you get it?” She asked curiously.

“Want ‘em or not?” Spike grinned at her.

“I’m interested,” She smiled at him. “Move them inside and I'll get your money.” She then turned on her heel and headed back inside the shop.

“Heavy lifting again,” Spike grinned under his breath, remembering what Gibbs had told him, try and play it a bit out of shape, not as strong as he really was to keep any opponents off guard. Hefting the first two boxes of M16’s he tested them, thinking that it was too much he just took the first box, putting taking it into the shop before returning for the other and the case of rocket launchers.

As he put the last box down in her office he turned to see the woman sat at her desk with a sheet of paper and a black tin of something that smelt like ink. “What’s that for?” he asked, eying the ink carefully.

“Scanning your finger prints, I need to know you are who you say you are.” The woman stated, putting the ink down in front of him.

“I bloody well don’t think so,” Spike smirked, moving back to pick up the cases of weapons again.

“Not an option.” The woman stated, causing him to spin round and see her lazing back in the chair, crossed legged with a nine mill pointed at his head.

“Right,” Spike smirked. “And I’m supposed to be afraid of that pea shooter?”

“Nine mill hollow point,” She stated. “Put a hole though you the size of a pizza in the back.”

“Guess so then.” Spike sobered up, remembering that he was supposed to be playing a human ex marine scum bag. Pressing his finger into the ink he quickly pressed them against the paper, repeating the process for all his fingers on his right hand before wiping the excess ink on his shirt. “Now what?” He asked, irritated at this turn of events as he watched he pass the paper through what looked like a fax machine.

“Now we find out who you really are.” She stated, he gun never wavering as it pointed at him.

“You mind?” He asked, nodding to a fridge in the corner.

“Bud or Miller?” She asked, watching him carefully move over to the fridge.

“Miller,” He grinned, opening the fridge and pulling out a bottle, snapping the cap off with his hand and taking a mouthful.

“Whatever,” She muttered, watching him carefully.

-------------------

“What you got?” Tony asked as he wandered into the forensics lab where Abby and Ducky were reading something off a monitor.

“Trying to figure out who’d be buying the weapons from Grimms ‘Guns ‘r’ us’ racket,” Abby explained. “First we thought gangs,”

“Gangs into shoulder launching anti-tank missiles?” Tony asked with a grin.

“Exactly, then Ducky thought terrorists,” Abby continued.

“Wouldn’t risk the military connection, too many unknowns,” Tony busted that theory as well.

“These guys are perfect though!” Abby said triumphantly, motioning to the monitor where Ducky was reading.

“Militia?” Tony asked with a raised eyebrow. “Gun junkies who train in empty fields?”

“Militia was once a necessary source of protection for the country my dear boy,” Ducky explained. “You should talk with a few of the older immortals some time; they could tell you some stories about when the militia was at its peak.”

“How many immortals are there in Washington then?” Tony asked, curious about this new source of information.

“Only three that I know of,” Ducky smiled. “There could be more though, but I doubt it, most of them seem to prefer the west coast, or further towards New York.”

“That’s weird, wonder how many immortals are really out there,” Tony muttered, wondering how many people he could have just passed in the street, not knowing they were hundreds or thousands of years old.

“Many my boy,” Ducky smiled. “Thousands of them, living their lives out in peace, well most of them anyway.”

“So you think these guys are buying the weapons through the pawn shop Spike’s looking into?” Tony asked, nodding to the monitor on the wall.

“They don’t have any different ideas though; it’s all the same old stuff.” Abby explained.

“Where’s Xander and Kate?” Tony asked, having just come from the office he knew they weren’t there. Gibbs and Spike were at the pawn shop, but he wasn’t sure where Xander or Kate were.

“Gone back to Quantico, to speak to some people again,” Abby explained, “So you get to help me research the militia.” She grinned at him.

“Caf-Pow?” He asked, moving to do a coffee run. “Ducky?”

“Oh not for me, I have a body downstairs ready to be shipped back for burial, in fact I should get back down there, if you’ll excuse me.” Ducky smiled at the two before leaving the lab ahead of Tony.

“Large! Giant caffeine even!” Abby grinned at him as he left the lab. “Mainline it,” She grinned, wondering if it was possible to hook up an IV drip directly into her arm for her usual caffeine soda while she hit play on her stereo and the dulcet tones of Aerosmith “Same old song and dance” started blaring from the speakers.

--------------------

“She’s good,” Xander quipped as he walked over to the boxing ring where the staff sergeant was watching corporal McLain go through her paces.

“She’d have a lot more if she’d just listen,” The sergeant explained, not taking his eyes off her movement in the ring.

“What do you mean?” Kate asked from the other side of the sergeant.

“She prefers to be the one giving the orders, and not just in the gym I’m guessing.” Xander smirked as the sergeant nodded slowly to him before walking off.

“Sounds like we need to have a little chat with her,” Kate smiled at him.

“My thoughts exactly,” Xander grinned at her. “McLain, we need to talk to you.” He shouted up to her, flashing his badge so she could clearly see it.

“I’ve got five more minutes with the pads,” McLain shouted back down, letting out a flurry of punches which the taller marine sparring with her deftly blocked with the large contact pads.

“It can wait,” Xander shouted as he climbed through the ropes onto the ring. Nodding to the sparring marine as he walked over.

“Fine,” She huffed, dropping into a neutral stance. “What can I do for NCIS, again,” She muttered the last part.

“You told Agent Spike that you barely knew Corporal Grimms,” Xander explained, throwing her a towel from the side of the ring. “Records state you worked with him on a weekly basis.”

“I said what I said,” McLain stated with a sneer. “You drew your own conclusions.”

“Three days ago you and Corporal Grimms took a shipment of weapons from Quantico to be destroyed,” Xander explained, remembering the notes that he’d read on the car journey over to the base. “One of those weapons didn’t make it,” Xander watched her very carefully for any reaction. “What happened to it?” He lowered his voice but the dangerous tone carried over it clearly.

“I don’t know,” McLain said, holding her hands up in a surrender posture. “Really,” She continued at Xander’s raised eyebrow. “We picked the weapons up, but Grimms dropped me off as soon as we got off base, I swear!”

“And Grimms made a habit of making shipments on his own?” Xander asked, we aware that all regs state that all shipments must be escorted by at least two armed marines.

“He said he could handle it himself,” McLain tried to explain, backing up from Xander’s stare and not able to look him in the eye as he continued to glare at her. “Look, that’s all I know, I swear, my boy friend, he’s army, was shipping out the next day for Iraq.”

“So you figured one last booty call before he shipped off?” Xander asked, his glare intensifying at the complete disregard for rules, safety and concern for her fellow marine. “That’s what I thought.” He shook his head as she lowered hers in disgrace. Ignoring her he just climbed out of the ring over to where Kate was waiting and walked out of the gym, Kate following hot on his heels. “We need to have a little chat with the person who took the weapons off Grimms at Camp Geiger, seems they’re in the habit of accepting one manned deliveries.”

---------------------

“What about you?” Spike grinned over as he finished his beer and threw it in the bin by his foot. “How do I know you ain’t a cop?”

“You don’t.” The woman holding the gun said simply, her eyes never wavering from his. “But if I was, don’t you think you should have thought of that before you brought the weapons in?”

“Yeah,” Spike nodded in mock thoughtfulness. “I did ‘ave a plan, good one, well thought out, but I got bored and wanted the cash.”

“Right,” The woman smiled at him. “I actually believe that.” She turned as the computer beeped, her gun still trained at Spike but her attention on the monitor in front of her. “Ohh, Riley Finn,” She smiled at him as he made a mock bowing motion. “Dishonourable discharge followed by,” She paused, doing a double take at the monitor before laughing. “Three to five for solicitation and possession of GHB.”

“Didn’t pay as well as I thought it would,” Spike grinned at her, leaning back against the wall.

“Seems a little steep for a first offence,” She noted, training the gun back on him.

“That’s wot I said,” Spike grinned at her. “But it was the chief’s wife I was servicing at the time.” He grinned as she laughed loudly, the sound echoing through the small office.

“Now that,” She clicked the safety back on the gun and placed it on the desk. “I believe.”

“So,” Spiked jumped off his perch and straightened his back with a click. “We doing this or wot?”

“One last thing,” She asked, standing up and looking him in the eye, her nose practically touching his chin as she looked up at him with a smile. “Where did you pick up the accent?”

“Too much time ‘anging with Brits,” Spike grinned down at her. “Accents worse than the bloody food.”

“I'll get your money,” She smiled at him, tracing a finger down his tight black t-shirt before turning and moving back towards the safe. Picking her gun up on the way and placing it on top of the safe while she started turning the tumblers.

Spike just leaned back, watching as she removed several thick wads of hundred dollar bills, smirking to himself as he crossed his arms. “You know, hate to do this to you, actually really liked ya luv.” He grinned, reaching behind his back. He barely registered her spin round, aiming the gun directly at him. Smirking a little he continued to reach round, grabbing his ID wallet and pulling it forward with a swift motion so she could see she was under arrest.

The report from the gun sounded at the same time as the door was kicked in by agent Gibbs, immediately training his gun on her. “Put the gun down!” He ordered, nodding to the smoking gun in her hand. “Agent Gibbs, NCIS!”

“ATF!” She shouted, dropping her pistol to the floor, staring down at Spike’s lifeless body with hole torn in the t-shirt she was running her finger over moment before, blood pooling on the floor and his NCIS ID clearly visible in his hand. “I’m sorry,” She covered her mouth with her hands. “I thought he was going for a gun.”

“ID!” Gibbs shouted, not taking his gun off her.

“Under the stereo,” She said quietly, barely registering his question.

“Spike, get up.” Gibbs ordered. “Find me that ID.”

“I'll ‘ave you know,” Spike grinned from his place on the floor. “Being shot in the heart bloody hurts.”

“Whatever,” Gibbs waved his gun at her. “Now Spike.”

“Bloody thanks I get,” Spike muttered, pulling himself up off the floor and grinning at the woman who was just staring at him in disbelief. “Got it,” He grinned, tossing the stereo to the floor and picking up a gold ATF badge from underneath. “What’s ATF when it’s at ‘ome?”

“Alcohol Tobacco and firearms squad,” Gibbs stated, holstering his gun. “What are you doing here?”

“But...” The woman stuttered out. “I killed you.”

“Yeah,” Spike grinned, reaching under his t-shirt and poking his finger through the hole in his t-shirt. “Good shot too, bloody hurt.”

“How?” She turned to look at Gibbs who was smiling at Spike. “How, I mean, I killed him, you can see the blood.”

“Bit trigger happy there aren’t you agent?” He paused, waiting for her to fill in the space.

“Stone,” She said softly as Spike checked the name against her ID. “Melinda Stone.”

“It’s ‘er,” Spike grinned, tossing her the ID.

“Tell me about this op, keep Agent Spike’s miraculous recovery to yourself,” Gibbs smirked at her. “And I won’t write you up for killing a federal agent.”

She turned, looking at Gibbs first who just glared at her before she turned to look at Spike, who was grinning as he walked over to the fridge and helped himself to another beer. “ATF knew they were moving a lot of illegal arms through here, they decided to leave it open, see what crawled through.”

“Open that and I will shoot you myself.” Gibbs stated, glaring at Spike who was about to crack the top of the beer. “Where’s your backup?”

“You’re looking at it.” She paused; looking at Spike’s back where she could clearly see the exit hole of the bullet in his t-shirt, but the skin underneath was perfect. “We’re spread thin since nine eleven...”

“What about Corporal Grimms?” Gibbs cut her off.

“Yeah, bloke from Quantico, selling big stuff, anti-tank style equipment,” Spike muttered, putting the beer back in the fridge. “Big hole in his chest,” He paused, raising a hand span to his chest. “‘Bout yay big.” He grinned.

“He places several calls here last week.” Gibbs nodded, tossing over a photo of the dead Corporal to jog her memory.

“He said his name was Jeff Conklin,” The woman stared at the picture, still shaking her head to clear the cobwebs that Agent Spike’s recovery had caused. “He said he had access to high powered weapons.”

“And what were you going to do with them?” Gibbs asked sternly.

“I was working with one of Abe Parker’s former buyers,” She nodded at him, still unable to take her eyes off the hole in the front of Agent Spike’s t-shirt where she had shot him in the heart.

“Who?” Gibbs asked carefully.

“No name,” She smiled at him. “Just a phone number and a voice.”

“You ever see the weapons?” Gibbs continued his interrogation, ignoring Spike as he wandered around the office and started picking up small objects and playing with them in his hands.

“He never showed, I thought he got cold feet.” Stone replied, checking the safety on her side arm and placing it back in the desk drawer.

“Guess he’s got cold everything now,” Spike grinned at her. “Had to hurt, missile to the chest,” He grabbed his chest and staggered back a few feet, play acting the death out.

“Is he always like this?” Stone asked, turning to Gibbs.

“Only when he’s awake,” Gibbs smirked at her.

--------------

“Staff sergeant Raphael?” Kate asked as she walked past the training center onto the high grade weapons test range, she winced at a SMAW fired off another round, watching as it sailed through the air before impacting the ground with a lot explosion several hundred feet away. “Special Agent Todd, NCIS.”

The marine in front of her just turned, pointing to the bright yellow ear plugs he had stuffed in his ears to block out the constant sounds of weapons file and explosions.

“NCIS!” Xander shouted, pulling out his ID and showing it to him as Kate did the same. Nodding his head to the right he motioned they should move away from the disposal grounds to talk. Kate watched as the Sergeant passed his clip board onto his 2IC before moving off to follow him, Kate following the sergeant afterwards.

As soon as they were a safe distance away the sergeant pulled out his ear plugs and turned to face Kate. “What can I do for NCIS?” He asked, raising an eyebrow at their unusually thick ID wallets.

“We need to talk to you about procedure of destroying weapons.” Xander explained, stepping back when Kate sent a soft glare his way.

“As soon as we get the transfer papers through, the weapons follow the next day,” The sergeant nodded to them. “Marked solely for destruction they are moved here from Quantico and disposed of the next day.”

“Contact the main base when you receive the weapons?” Kate asked.

“Yes Ma’am, it’s procedure.” The sergeant replied.

“Did you contact them when Corporal Grimms brought his shipment here?” Kate asked, turning to watch him for any reaction.

“Like I said, it’s procedure.” The sergeant reiterated his last reply.

“You did,” Xander jumped in, glaring at the sergeant. “But we’re asking specifically about the shipment from Quantico three days ago.”

“Ma’am, I am a staff sergeant in the united states marine corps,” He paused, taking a breath. “I don’t know how it is for you at NCIS but I follow all orders and procedures laid out for me under this command.”

“Still haven’t answered her question,” Xander quipped, still glaring at the sergeant. “Did you inspect the weapons, sign for them and then contact the transfer point upon receiving Corporal Grimms shipment of weapons?” He sounded out each word carefully, biting off the harsh sounds.

“Yes,” The sergeant turned to glare back at Xander, averting his gaze when he saw the harsh look in the younger mans sole eye. “Will there be anything else sir?”

“No,” Xander bit out, watching as the sergeant saluted crisply before moving off back to his command. “Not here.”

“I want to see you in Washington, NCIS.” Kate stated simply, taking off where Xander left it. “I'll call your CO, find out the procedures shall I?” She smiled at him as he faltered in his step before moving off back to the firing site.

“Well he’s got something to hide,” Xander grinned as they made their way back to the car.

“Signed for a shipment he didn’t receive,” Kate nodded. “Yeah, he’s hiding something alright.”

--------------

“Stone, you’re working with us on this one, call your office to confirm.” Gibbs stated from his desk as he slammed down the phone, looking up to see Agent Stone walking carefully around Spike, eying him from all possible angles. “Now while Spike is changing,” He paused, opening the filing cabinet behind him and throwing over one of DiNozzo’s spare white vests. “Can’t have you walking around base like that.” He muttered, watching as Spike started changing, amazed at the healing factor he had, to think Harris’ was even faster healing than that was unbelievable. “Go down to autopsy while I bring Agent Stone up to date with the computer files we found, I believe Ducky has some of your usual ‘beverage’ down there for you.”

“Oh, AB?” Spike grinned, quickly pulling on the vest before darting out of the room and jogging down the corridor to the elevator.

“He needs to cut down on the caffeine.” Stone smiled over as she made her way over to Gibbs’ desk.

“You should see our forensics expert,” Gibbs smirked at her, thinking of the way Abby bounced around after having his eighth Caf-Pow of the day. “We think Grimms was putting his weapons on the internet, trying to attract attention that way.”

“You think my buyer found him?” Stone asked, thinking carefully about the case now that her ‘distraction’ was out of the room.

“Maybe, cut out the middle man, maybe it went south somehow.” Gibbs nodded; sharing his view on what he thought could have happened.

“Makes sense,” Stone nodded along.

“Which means someone’s out there with enough firepower to take out a small village.” Gibbs said simply, standing up as DiNozzo walked in the office.

“You shot Spike?” He grinned at her. “I mean, this is her right?”

Gibbs just nodded patiently at him.

“And you’re still alive?” DiNozzo laughed. “I wish I’d been there to see that.”

“Range scores DiNozzo.” Gibbs barked out, smiling when Tony instantly handed over the paper he was carrying. “Better.” He smiled, filing the paper away in his desk draw to be filed properly later. “Now, find us some weapons to sell.” He grinned up at the two agents watching him with interest. “Now people.”

“Yes boss.” Tony grinned before moving off to his desk to start making calls round the naval supply yards for any weapons due for destruction that they could use in the ruse.

“Agent Stone, with me,” Gibbs ordered, standing up and walking out of the office towards the elevator. “Call you’re buyer, tell him you have a new supplier, this time he’ll be coming with you to make the drop.”

“The buyer won’t like it.” Stone replied shortly.

“You’ll give him a full background check to confirm it.” Gibbs stated simply.

“Will Agent Spike be making the drop?” Stone asked as the elevator doors opened and they got in, curious to work with the blonde agent again and find out how he survived a nine mil to the heart at point blank range.

“No, he’s more slime ball,” Gibbs smiled at her. “This time you’ve got a wounded marine, one eye shot out on medical discharge, pissed with the marines and the way they handled his discharge.”

“Gibbs!” Xander shouted out, jogging down the corridor before the elevator doors shut on them.

“Agent Stone, ATF,” Gibbs introduced her. “Agent Harris.”

“Give us a sec will ya?” Xander grinned at her, smiling when Gibbs moved to follow him back down the corridor. “Checked out McLain’s alibi, all checks out, she was shacking up with her army brat boyfriend what everything happened.” He paused as Gibbs nodded at him, motioning with his hands for him to get on with it. “Staff Sergeant Raphael’s holding out on us, he’s full of it, hiding the fact he signed for the weapons when they weren’t there. I had a friend back at SWIC check the hand writing on the signatures, doesn’t match.”

“Where is he now?” Gibbs asked, the smile now gone from his face, a dirty marine and a dead marine were no laughing matter in the Navy.

“Down in interrogation room two, chilling out, when you’re ready I'll go through when I know about him with you.” Xander nodded, feeling the same about this case, something didn’t feel right about working their first case together and finding a dirty marine sergeant.

“Go to Abby; get a full ID work up, ex military, honourable discharge due to medical.” He paused, nodding at the eye patch. “Use that, grief with the Marine Corps over the discharge, let Abby fill in the rest.” Gibbs nodded at him. “I'll take the interrogation.” Turning back he motioned for Agent Stone to come over and join them. “Follow Agent Harris to sort out the background for tonight, he’ll be making the drop with you.”

“Hi,” Xander grinned, holding out his hand for her to shake.

“Hi,” She grinned back, shaking his hand and feeling the rough calluses on his palm.

“If you two are finished,” Gibbs smirked at them before moving into the elevator and pressing the button for the interrogation floor. “Abby, now.”

“Got it boss,” Xander grinned as the doors closed, turning round to start walking down towards the forensics lab.

“Is that real?” Stone asked, eying him sideways as she walked along side him.

“They ask that every time.” Xander smirked at her, ignoring the question for the moment as they walked into the lab and found Abby bouncing around her computer with Meatloaf playing from the stereo at an obscene volume. “Abby!” He shouted, when he didn’t get an answer he moved over to turn the stereo off.

“Geez Xander, you’re getting more like a mini Gibbs every day,” She smiled at him. “This is the ATF lady that shot Spike?” She glared at Agent Stone.

“You shot Spike?” Xander span to look at her, a bit grin plastered on his face. Then noticing the glare that Abby now sent his way he coughed to cover it up, turning back to face her. “I need an ID.”

“Lot of that going round today,” Abby’s glare turned into a smile. “Is he alright?”

“He’ll be fine, take more than a bullet to keep him down unfortunately, believe me, I’ve tried.” Xander grinned unrepentantly at the glare Abby levelled at him. “He’ll be fine.” He continued seriously.

“Fine, what do you need?” Abby asked, smiling as Xander rattled off the details for the plan Gibbs had explained to him. “Medals?” She asked, spinning in her chair to look at Xander.

“Don’t push it.” Xander said simply. “Civilian contractor after the discharge, Italy, England, places to explain the weird accent.” He tried to think of anything else they would need in the background, figuring that was it he just lazed back and let the resident computer genius do her work.

“Are you sure Spike will be ok?” Abby asked, still tapping away on her keys, thinking of the blonde vampire who was just been shot in the chest.

“He’ll be fine Abby, I'll tell him to pop in to see you next chance I get,” Xander grinned, rubbing her on the shoulder, it was nice she cared about Spike, showed that both Spike and he were fitting into the already fluid team dynamic they had here at the NCIS building.