- Text Size +
Later that afternoon, once Abby had managed to eat a little something and have it stay with her, they headed into the office so Abby could run the test.

They slipped into the office after verifying with security that Gibbs wasn't in the building. They were both giggling about feeling like teenagers sneaking around the high school and trying not to get caught by the principal.

They had no sooner gotten into Abby's lab and shucked their jackets when Tony's cell phone rang, the caller-id letting him know it was Gibbs.

He made a face at the phone before answering it, "Yeah, boss?"

Abby stood there chewing her lip as she stuck her ear near Tony's so she could hear as well.

"How's Abby feeling?"

"Better right now, she managed to eat lunch without turning green."

"Are you both in the office?"

"Uh..."

"DiNozzo, I'm standing next to your car so don't try to BS me. I need to know if Abby's with you, we've got an urgent case, a Navy captain's pregnant wife and five-year old son were abducted. I need you both."

Tony answered simply, "We're both here, down in Abby's lab."

"I'm on my way in."

---------------

Abby had all her equipment fired up and ready for the influx of physical evidence that was on its way in as Gibbs strode into the lab,.

He could see that Abby was still very pale, but he needed her. He looked at the two of them leaning up against Abby's bench and said, "Remind me later to yell at both of you for being here. Tony, you're with me. Abby, get yourself wired for sound, direct to me. This Navy captain works in the Pentagon with information classified at the highest level and right now he's scrambling because someone's got his wife and son. I know you don't feel well, Abs, just take it steady, sit when you can. Okay?"

"Yeah. I'm okay, Gibbs."

Gibbs headed for the elevator, and pretended not to notice the quick kiss that he caught that passed between Tony and Abby, but what he didn't catch was Abby saying, "I'll run the test and I'll call you."

Tony nodded, "The minute you know."

The elevator dinged and Gibbs bellowed for Tony, who bolted towards the door, but paused in the doorway to give Abby a wink and a little grin.

---------------

The elevator was quiet, Gibbs' mind was churning over the case, but he also wanted to know why Tony and Abby were at the lab on a Sunday, especially after he expressly told them he didn't want them back until Monday. He flipped the emergency switch and the elevator ground to a halt.

"Care to explain why you and Abby are here in the office, DiNozzo?"

"Actually I do sorta need to talk to you about something relating to that, Boss, but I don't think now's really the time."

Gibbs simply stepped towards Tony and glared, waiting.

Tony swallowed hard and answered quickly, "We're getting married."

To say he was surprised would have been an understatement and the shock was evident on Gibbs' face. "Married?"

"Yeah."

"And this has what exactly to do with you being here in the office?"

"Um, well, ah, see here's the thing, Boss...," Tony stammered.

"Just spit it out, DiNozzo."

Tony closed his eyes and prayed that if Gibbs hit him that it would be quick. "Ducky thinks Abby's nausea is actually morning sickness. She took a home pregnancy test earlier but the results weren't clear, so she wanted to run the test here so we can be sure."

"Abby's pregnant?" If he had been shocked over the revelation that they were getting married, it was nothing compared to this.

When he didn't feel a fist in his teeth, Tony cracked an eye to see Gibbs standing there with an odd, odd look on his face. It was a look of awe, and love, and overlaid with a little longing and loss for his own lost child.

He said with a little grin, "We don't know yet. We just got here when you called. She's going to run the test before all the evidence gets here."

Gibbs expression went a little stony on Tony making him nervous and he wasn't expecting Gibbs to ask, "Is that why you're getting married?"

Tony surprised himself by how quickly his answer came, "No. I love her and I want to marry her whether or not she's having my baby."

Tony flinched visibly when Gibbs raised his hand, thinking he was in for a punch, but Gibbs just stood there for a second with his pointer finger in the air, as if he wanted to stress something to Tony but he said nothing. Tony almost jumped out of his skin when that hand reached out and patted him on the cheek. Gibbs actually smiled, a real, genuine smile and teased Tony, "Good answer."

Tony let out the breath he was holding and it came out in the form of a forced nervous chuckle.

Gibbs turned back to flip the switch and said seriously, "Keep your head in the game today, DiNozzo. We've got a woman who's eight months pregnant and a five year old to find."

"We'll find them, Boss," Tony said with absolute conviction.

As the elevator hit their floor, Gibbs paused a moment before getting out. "DiNozzo?"

"Yeah, Boss?"

"Is she happy about a baby?"

"Yeah. We both are."

"Good. Now let's get to work."

---------------
tbc...