- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs does some thinking, and Fornell shows up with news.
Gibbs sighed deeply, unconsciously thinking about the case his team had just closed as he sanded another board for his boat. He’d wanted to let Bakr get away with murdering the recruiter. The son of a bitch had killed Bakr’s son, and Gibbs intimately understood the desire for vengeance. He could have simply overlooked the prayer beads at the scene, ignored the evidence Bakr was there, and closed the case. No one was going to mourn the death of one more terrorist anyway. It would have been so easy to just look the other way. He’d done it before---and that was ultimately the deciding factor.

Gibbs asked himself how many more things would he turn a blind eye to before he found he wasn’t really looking at all. How far down the slope was he prepared to slide? He’d messed with evidence to help hide the fact that good Marine had only one kidney. He’d given information they’d garnered on an investigation to gangbangers because there wasn’t enough to convict the suspect---and he knew they’d kill the man for him. He let Franks walk away from what was clearly a calculated murder, settling a score the same way Shepard had wanted to do with La Grenouille. How could he judge her actions as so wrong when he’d actively aided and abetted letting Franks do essentially the same thing?

Gibbs had always considered himself an honorable man. If he was going to live up to that personal assessment, he had to redraw the line and stay committed to it. There had to be a boundary to his own hypocrisy. As much as he agreed with Bakr’s actions, it was still his job to maintain order, to enforce the law. Bakr was currently sitting in a cell awaiting his arraignment.

Gibbs grimaced. The only good thing that had come out of this case was seeing Brent Langer again. It had been over ten years since he’d worked with the man. He’d heard his former agent had taken a position with another agency, but he’d never thought Langer would end up with the FBI. He had to admit, it was a good fit for the man. And it looked like Langer was doing well for himself.

Gibbs glanced over to the innocent looking file sitting on his work bench. He’d gotten Langer to give him the information the FBI had on Joseph LaFiamma. It hadn’t been hard to get the other man to supply it. Langer owed him a favor or two•especially after they’d found out the FBI to have already bugged the Mosque their murdered Marine had worshiped. Giving Gibbs information on LaFiamma was an easy way to pay off one of his debts.

Gibbs put down his sander, and walked over to the work bench. He’d already read the file twice, but found himself wanting to look at it again. LaFiamma had been a person of interest for the FBI when he went to college. They’d tried to recruit him with the intention of getting him to turn on his family. Gibbs hadn’t been too surprised to find out that turning on his family, even though he’d been disowned, wasn’t the sort of thing LaFiamma had been willing to do. Certainly not for what the FBI had to offer. Gibbs snorted. He wouldn’t have been tempted by that•not even for a second.

They had kept tabs on LaFiamma since then, following his career as a cop. Gibbs wasn’t entirely sure why. If he had to guess, it was probably just because someone, somewhere still harbored hopes of using Joe as an ‘in’ to bring down his uncle.

He was amused to find that Tony warranted only a footnote in LaFiamma’s file. He was listed as a distant relative with whom Joe stayed in touch. No one at the FBI or the OCB apparently thought that relationship significant or worth pursing---especially when it was also noted that Tony was on the outs with his family as much as Joe was his.

Gibbs poured a shot of bourbon into his dusty coffee mug. Flipping open the file he scanned the first page. He knew it was petty but he had been hoping to find Tony’s cousin was dirty. It would give him the advantage, a way to drive a wedge between them.

He’d need some sort of leverage because they had to be close. It was Joe that Tony ran to. Gibbs was sure of that much. The phone calls, the trip to Houston, listing of next of kin and emergency contact---it all pointed to Tony going to Joe. Gibbs had checked the national law enforcement registry, confirming what he suspected---as of at least six weeks ago; Tony was part of the Houston PD.

He pursed his lips in annoyance. He should be damn glad Tony hadn’t gone to just anyone. It had taken them nearly three months to figure out where he was. If he hadn’t had Joe to go to, they’d have never found him.

Three fucking months, Gibbs cursed silently. It still infuriated him how long finding Tony had taken. He was tempted to throw his mug against the wall, but restrained himself. He didn’t feel like drinking from the bottle or having to go upstairs for another mug.

Had he been here, Tony would have thought of checking with his frat brothers. Digging into people’s past, looking for obscure links was something he’d excelled at. Both Ziva and McGee had a tendency to focus more on professional rather than personal when it came to searching for people. McGee did so because it was easier for him to hack into a data base than it was to talk to people. And Tony had graduated before things like college yearbooks were regularly scanned into computers and available on line---so the information wasn’t readily available with a few key strokes, and that was something McGee had a habit of overlooking. Not everything could be found on a computer.

Ziva was often inclined to believe everyone had some sort of ulterior motive---that one didn’t maintain or keep friends who weren’t politically useful. She couldn’t fathom why Tony might have stayed in touch with his frat brothers when none of them were government agents, spies or otherwise connected to a useful power base. And Tony hadn’t really talked about his frat brothers to her.

Gibbs rolled his eyes. It shouldn’t have mattered that Tony hadn’t talked about his frat brothers in the last two years or ever mentioned them by surname. They all knew what fraternity he’d belonged to and which chapter---it was in his file. And at least Gibbs, Abby, Ducky and McGee knew Tony had been close to his frat brothers until relatively recently. It wouldn’t have been hard to find a yearbook, look at the registry for guys who graduated from Ohio State at the same time, and find someone who would know Tony had a cousin he was close to.

It hasn’t even occurred to Gibbs until yesterday when an alumni announcement for his Alma Mater had come for Tony at the office. He still got stray bits of mail and the mail boy had taken to giving whatever came to Gibbs. Gibbs had snatched it out of his hands, feeling like an idiot for not bothering to check what should have been painfully obvious from the beginning.

A few phone calls later and Kyle Robinson, Tony’s former roommate in the fraternity house, was telling them all about what a great guy Tony’s cousin was, how he’d lived with Tony for a time, and that they spent every holiday together. The last Kyle had heard Joe was working in Houston as a cop. He thought Tony was proud his younger cousin had followed in his footsteps.

Kyle hadn’t heard from Tony in over a year, but he figured with them getting older and growing up, it was only natural they’d drift apart. He’d joked about how older guys like them wouldn’t stand a chance at scoring with the Coeds. That they didn’t crack a smile the entire time was probably one of the reasons Kyle asked several times if Tony was in some sort of trouble. Gibbs was glad McGee fielded that question because he really had no idea what to say, and he damn sure wasn’t going to admit to having lost Tony.

So they knew who Joseph LaFiamma was. And that Tony was with him. The only question that remained was when were they going to go after him.

Gibbs’ eyed the half done skeleton of his latest boat, sorely tempted to take out a hammer and beat the hell out of it for no better reason than it gave him something to vent his frustration on. After three months what was he supposed to say to Tony? Would Tony believe him if he told him they’d been looking for him since the day he’d left?

Gibbs growled. If it were him, he wouldn’t believe it. The only person it had ever taken them longer to locate was Ari---he had been out of the county and had help hiding. Reviewing Tony’s actions, Gibbs doubted he could claim Tony was trying to hide. He hadn’t made it hard to find him. His file had Joe’s name, number and address. Hell his phone records had given them a link they’d allowed themselves to be stonewalled on.

There was no way Tony would believe it was just arrogance and stupidity on Gibbs’ part and the team’s that had allowed three months to pass. Although, given what Shepard had said, the arrogance might not be that much of a stretch for Tony to accept. Ducky would certainly back the stupidity since he was the one who had to point them in the direction they should have been looking in to start with.

The fact that Tony got a job didn’t help Gibbs’ cause any. It meant he’d been serious about leaving and staying gone. Gibbs had spent his time in Mexico hanging around Mike’s place doing odd jobs. In hindsight, he knew he hadn’t looked for something of his own, or anything more permanent, because he didn’t truly plan on staying.

Would Tony just walk away from his new position to come back to NCIS? Gibbs had doubts about that. For all Tony’s job jumping before he’d started at NCIS, he never left a position until he’d been working for at least eighteen months.

He had to have made a few friends there already. Tony was good at that. He was on a first name basis with everyone in the Naval Yard in two weeks. By now, he likely knew the name of every cop in Houston, the name of their wives and girlfriends and where their kids went to school.

And he had family there. Gibbs didn’t know if Joe was a last resort or final solution, but Tony’s former roommate made it sound like they’d always been close. Tony’s phone records bore that out---he’d called Joe at least once a month and Joe had called him. So even though he’d never mentioned the man, he was obviously important to Tony.

Gibbs snarled. Why hadn’t Tony mentioned Joe? A quiet voice in his mind, one that sounded a lot like Ducky asked, “Would have you have listened if he had?”

The honest answer was ‘no’. He thought he knew all he needed to know about Tony DiNozzo. Apparently he’d been wrong about that---very wrong.

Gibbs glanced up when he heard someone coming down the steps. He kept his expression neutral as is visitor’s face came into view. What the hell could Fornell want with him?

“Tobias.” Gibbs kept his tone level.

‘Jethro.” Fornell’s tone mimicked Gibbs’.

Gibbs offered him the mug he was holding. Fornell rolled his eyes, but took it. “Some day I’ll remember to bring my own.”

“You want to tell me why you’re here?” Gibbs glanced at the clock. It was nearly midnight.

“About five months ago, we pulled a body out of the bay.” Fornell sipped from the mug before making a face and setting it aside.

“And you’re telling me this because•“ Gibbs left the statement open ended waiting for Fornell to fill in the gap.

“Because it was the body of Renee Benoit.”

Gibbs raised both eyebrows, trying to look surprised. Given that the man had sought protection with Shepard and had been denied---Gibbs hadn’t held out much hope for him living long. But since he hadn’t turned up at the yacht and there’d been no sign of him since, Gibbs thought there was always a slim chance he was still alive.

“How did he--”

“Single gun shot to the head.” Fornell looked at him, expression giving away nothing. “It looked like a suicide.”

Gibbs took a breath and let it out slowly. If the FBI still thought it was suicide Fornell wouldn’t be in his basement, which meant they now thought La Grenouille had been murdered. Had Shepard actually killed him? It was possible. She was obsessed with avenging what she believed was her father’s murder. Gibbs knew she was capable of killing---it wasn’t like she hadn’t done her share of ‘wet work’. And she’d been a target for an investigation already for her unsanctioned operation. It wouldn’t be much of a reach for the FBI to suspect her.

Gibbs stared at Fornell, waiting for the other man to tell him more. He wasn’t sure he owed Shepard any loyalty, but Gibbs wasn’t going to give her up either. If she had killed La Grenouille it wouldn’t be up to the likes of Fornell to bring her down---Gibbs would do that himself.

“Jeanne Benoit is back in town.” Fornell’s eyes narrowed as they studied Gibbs.

Gibbs wasn’t sure what to make of that non sequitur. “I did not know that.”

“She’s telling an interesting story.”

“Oh?”

“She claims it was DiNozzo that shot her father.”

Gibbs glared at Fornell. “You can’t be serious.”

“Doesn’t matter if I am or not, she is.” Fornell shook his head.

“Then why the hell are you here?”

“I’m just giving you a heads up. I know how you get when someone messes with your people. And it’s never any fun finding out one of your own is a murderer.” Fornell looked slightly apologetic. “A team is already on their way to DiNozzo’s place.”

Gibbs’ jaw clenched. Fornell obviously didn’t know that Tony had left. But when he found out…it wasn’t going to look good. Knowing the FBI they’d see that as proof of guilt and try to use that against him. Why else would he have left D.C. and NCIS?

“Stay out of it, Jethro. Just let me do my job.”

Gibbs turned his back on Fornell. He needed to get in touch with McGee. He’d know how to get into the personnel records. First order of business was to delete Joe’s name. He didn’t want Fornell finding that now so obvious lead on where Tony was. He wondered if McGee could hack into the national law enforcement registry. Maybe he could delete the information revealing Tony was working in Houston.

“I mean it Gibbs. Stay out of this.” Fornell grabbed Gibbs’ shoulder and turned him around. He looked him in the eye. “I will play hardball if I have to.”

“I understand.” Gibbs nodded curtly. “Get out.”

Fornell smirked as he turned to leave. “I’ll be in touch.”

Gibbs watched him make his way back up the stairs. Bastard.

Gibbs knew Tony hadn’t killed Renee Benoit, no matter what his damn daughter said. The best way to prove Tony’s innocence was to find the guilty party. Gibbs was fairly certain Shepard had done it…but proving it would be another matter. He’d need to know what sort of case the FBI had. More things for McGee to hack into.

He hit the speed dial button for McGee. When the younger man picked up, sounding wide awake, Gibbs knew he probably had never gone to bed. McGee had likely been waiting to hear what Gibbs had decided about going after Tony now that they knew where he was.

“Grab your gear, your computer and any other gizmo or do-hickey you’ll need to hack into the FBI’s crime file. I want your ass here in twenty minutes.”

There was a pause. “Why•“

“Do it, McGee.”

“On my way, Boss.”

Gibbs hung up. He called Abby. Like McGee she sounded wide awake.

“Can you get me a ticket to Houston? And a rental car?”

“Absolutely, Bossman.” He didn’t need to see her grinning, he could hear it. He could hear her typing as well. “When did you want to fly?”

“What’s the earliest they’ve got?”

“6 AM.”

Gibbs glanced at the clock. That gave him a good four hours before he’d have to leave for the airport. Hopefully he’d have some idea of what sort of evidence the FBI had by then. “That’ll do.”

“Why aren’t you taking anyone with you?”

Gibbs ignored the question. “When you get it booked, bring the paperwork and your computer to my place. I need you to help McGee.”

“Help him do wh-“

Gibbs hung up before she could finish her question. He called Ziva. She answered on the second ring.

“I want you at my place in twenty minutes.”

“Understood.”

Gibbs debated for a moment before calling Ducky. He didn’t want to disturb the man or his mother at this hour of the night, but Ducky wouldn’t appreciate being left out of the loop. Not filling him in would do irreparable damage to their already wounded friendship.

He kept his call short, giving Ducky the basics. There wasn’t anything Ducky could do until they got the FBI file. Gibbs told Ducky he’d call him when they had something he could work with.

“Don’t be too hard on the boy, Jethro, when you see him. Tony won’t appreciate being taken to task like an errant school boy. And it will not help your cause to piss him off.”

“I’ll be nice.”

Ducky snorted. “Nice isn’t something Tony expects or trusts coming from you.”

Gibbs winced. Tony had told him after Kate died that his being nice worried him. Gibbs should have realized then what that said about their relationship.

“Honesty without hostility will do, Jethro.” Ducky sighed softly. “Tony deserves that, and should not be forced to accept anything less.”

“I’ll do my best.”

“An apology wouldn’t be a bad place to start.”

“It’s a sign•“

“Of weakness, yes I know.” Ducky sounded decidedly disappointed with him. Gibbs hated how that made him feel like he was only an inch tall.

“I’ll be ready and waiting when you’ve got something for me.”

Ducky hung up before Gibbs could. Gibbs shook his head. Damn Ducky. Why the hell did he have to be right?

He still had no clear idea what to say to Tony when he saw him. He had a feeling that if he delayed going until he figured it out, he might never get there at all---and that definitely wasn’t an option. Gibbs would just have to come up with something by the time his plane landed in Houston. Hopefully what he came up with would be good enough.
Chapter End Notes:
I'm moving from the episode Tribes right to Internal Affairs. So I'm basically skipping Dog Tags and Stakeout. There may, however still be spoilers for those episodes. Spoilers warnings up to Judgment Day, just to be on the safe side.