- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Levon talk. Tony makes an appearance.
Gibbs filled Lundy in on what he knew about La Grenouille, including Shepard’s vendetta, Rene’s desire to quit the weapons dealing business, the search of his yacht and coming up empty, Jeanne leaving the country and her subsequent return, what his team was doing now, what he expected them to discover and accomplish. He told him everything. Lundy had called it right when he said the case wasn’t really classified•at least not at NCIS since their involvement in the case didn’t officially exist. And no one at the CIA had ever really told Gibbs not to share information. It might have been implied he shouldn’t but it was never stated directly that it was top secret---certainly not the way the FBI had made it plain Gibbs was to leave Ari Haswari the hell alone. Besides, everything that had gone on was fundamental to Fornell and the FBI’s renewed interest in Tony. God only knew where Kort and the CIA fit into all this mess.

Gibbs sighed silently. He thought starting with information Lundy already had, and expanding on it, would improve his chances for seeing Tony. If nothing else, he wanted it clear he wasn’t holding back. Gibbs had no doubts that Lundy would check with someone else, verify facts and details. It’s what he’d do in the other man’s place. And one lie might not be a death warrant, but Gibbs had a feeling it would keep him confined in the interrogation room for as long as Lundy could manage. He didn’t really want to speculate on just how long that might be.

Gibbs was honestly surprised that Lundy didn’t interrupt him once. The man simply listened, sipping his coffee, letting him talk. It was the first, and only, time Gibbs could remember being in an interrogation room speaking more than the other occupant. It was almost surreal.

When he stopped talking, Lundy sat back, amber eyes on the mirror, his expression thoughtful. Gibbs waited. He was somewhat surprised the blond didn’t immediately start asking questions, demanding more details and clarification, but then maybe he was smart enough to realize Gibbs had already told him everything he knew at this point. The team was still working, and they might have more by now, but Gibbs didn’t know that for certain. He hadn’t been in contact since getting off the plane.

“Anything else?” Lundy finally asked.

“That’s not enough?” Sarcasm was heavy in Gibbs’ tone. “Being accused of murder is usually plenty.”

“Might be plenty, but that don’t mean it’s everything.” Lundy’s gaze met his, calmly. “Nothing you’ve said so far really explains why you’re here.”

Gibbs stared at him. “What?”

“It’s not your case. It never was. When all this was going on, Tony was answering to someone higher up on the ladder. Even though shit tends to run down hill, you’re still in the clear. It won’t affect you, your team, or your career. You could have just as easily sat back in DC and let the FBI do their thing. Big question is why didn’t you.” Lundy leaned forward to rest his elbows on the table, fingers of both hands loosely folded around his coffee cup. “Why are you here?”

“I’m here to help Tony.” Gibbs glared at Lundy, daring him to challenge his assertion.

“Why?”

“I take care of my people.”

“He’s not one of yours. Not any more.”

Gibbs managed not to flinch, but it was close. Lundy’s lips curled upward in the barest hint of a smile. “Guessing it isn’t just this case that brought you to Houston. Thinkin’ I was wrong earlier when I said it wasn’t personal.”

“And if it is?” Gibbs chin came up, eyes hard. He wasn’t going to tell Lundy…a stranger…that he knew he’d fucked up with Tony and hadn’t yet figured out how to make it right.

“Kind of a tetchy one, ain’t ya?” Levon’s smile grew.

“Tetchy?” Gibbs arched an eyebrow.

Lundy ignored Gibbs’ question. He sipped his coffee, and then leaned his chair back to the same two legged balancing act Gibbs hadn’t seen since Tony left NCIS. “You going to share?”

“Share?”

“Whatever it is that has you bristling up like a pissed off porcupine.”

“No,” Gibbs growled.

“Why not?”

“Because it’s between me and Tony and none of your damn business.”

“All right then,” Lundy sat forward, setting his chair squarely on four legs.

Gibbs frowned. He really hated the way Lundy seemed to find it so easy to keep him off balance. But in this case, Lundy was holding all the cards. He didn’t have to talk to Gibbs. That much was made crystal clear earlier. He knew more about Gibbs than Gibbs did about Lundy. He also knew where Tony was, and had the means to speak to him first. The entire situation was far from ideal from Gibbs point of view.

Gibbs waited for more questions, but none seemed to be forthcoming. “You’re going to let it go? Just like that?”

“Expecting me ta try draggin’ the answers out of you?”

“Frankly…yes.”

“Some times you can poke a rattler for fun, some times it’s best to leave them alone.” Lundy chuckled. “I’ve been pokin’ snakes long enough to know when all I’m going to get for my trouble is bit.”

Lundy rose to his feet, casually tossing his empty cup into a nearby waste can. Gibbs stood as well, feeling the need to face the other man squarely. Staying seated made him feel like he was at a disadvantage.

“You going to let me talk to Tony?”

“More like let him talk to you.” Lundy pointed to the mirrored glass. “He’s been watching since Roberto brought in the coffee.”

Gibbs couldn’t resist the urge to peek at the glass even though he knew all he’d see was his own refection. He turned back to Lundy, giving him a dirty look. The blond just looked back at him, unperturbed.

“Here’s been there the entire time?”

“Yep.” Lundy nodded.

Gibbs reviewed everything he’d said. The bald facts he’d told Lundy were all things Tony needed to know. But had Gibbs known Tony was listening he would have tried to soften the blow about Jeanne accusing him of murder. Although, he wasn’t sure how to make that sound any less the act of a woman scorned. Gibbs just wasn’t that good with words. Still, he’d have tried.

Gibbs glared at Lundy. “Why the hell go through this song and dance? Why not just let me--”

“Because I asked him to.” Tony’s level voice neatly stopped Gibbs cold. He hadn’t even heard the other man open the door or step into the room.

Gibbs stared at Tony, anger suddenly taking a backseat as he drank in the sight of him for the first time in months. His hair was longer, closer to what it had been like when he’d first signed on with NCIS. The sun-bleached blond streaks and Tony’s lightly tanned were mute testament to time spent outside in the warmer climate. Tony looked younger somehow, freer than Gibbs could remember seeing him. He was lean and fit, with green eyes so vibrant they nearly glowed.

Tony gave Lundy a quick smile, one that was full of mischief. “Sold yourself short, Cowboy, you’re a great poker player.”

Suddenly Gibbs anger was back in full force. This was not a game. And he was not someone to be played with. Without thinking Gibbs raised his hand to cuff Tony across the back of the head only to find himself suddenly spun around and slammed into the wall with enough force to drive the air from his lungs.

“You should be grateful Joe is stuck in court today and it was me who got the call,” Lundy whispered in Gibbs’ ear as he twisted Gibbs’ arm higher and tighter against his back pinning him firmly in place. “Joe wouldn’t stop at just this.”

“Cowboy…Lundy…let him go. It’s okay.”

“Fucker tried to hit you.” Lundy punctuated that statement by trying to force Gibbs even closer to the wall he was already too close for comfort to. “That’s not okay.”

“He wasn’t going to hit me.”

“Like hell he wasn’t.”

“It was just a wake up call. A head slap. Nothing more.”

“Not much difference if you ask me.”

“Well, I’m not asking you. Now, let him go.”

Much to Gibbs surprise, Lundy let go. Gibbs turned around ready to finish was Lundy had started. The blonde’s stance was relaxed and easy. He looked wary but unafraid. Gibbs sized up his lean form, confident he could take Lundy but equally sure it wouldn’t be easy.

“You wanna dance?” Lundy asked, giving Gibbs a taunting smile. Gibbs was more than ready to go toe to toe.

“Stand down, Gibbs.” The directive wasn’t loud but it was firm, and there was no mistaking the fact it was an order that would have done Gibbs’ drill instructor proud. Gibbs looked at Tony honestly surprised to find the order had come from him. He was even more surprised to find himself complying with it.

Tony looked at Lundy. “Levon…knock it off.”

Lundy huffed out a breath, giving Tony a look Gibbs couldn’t read before he took a deliberate step backward. The set of his shoulders relaxed and his weight shifted into a non-threatening pose.

“He tries to hit you again, head slap or not, I will clean his clock.”

Gibbs wanted to tell Lundy he was welcome to try but he was glad he kept his mouth shut when Tony simply nodded his acceptance of Lundy’s declaration, adding a quiet ‘fair enough’. Gibbs had expected Tony to side with him, to have his back. That more than anything hammered home the point that while Lundy was a stranger to Gibbs, he wasn’t to Tony---and right now he held far more sway over Tony than Gibbs could lay claim to.

“Can we sit down now and pretend we’re civilized sorts?”

“I can if he can, Slick.”

Gibbs arched an eyebrow at the nickname. He knew Tony had a few in college…the whole ‘sex machine’ bit was far too memorable to be forgotten, but he hadn’t had any Gibbs knew about while working at NCIS. Tony had never even been saddled with the dreaded ‘Probie’ moniker.

Tony looked askance at Gibbs. He nodded once, taking the same seat he’d had before. Tony took the seat Lundy had been sitting in, facing Gibbs. Lundy sat next to Tony.

“Why didn’t you just talk to me?” Gibbs made eye contact with Tony and held it. “Why have me talk to Lundy? And why in here?”

“First thing I learned from you about conducting a good interrogation was you need to be in control of three things. Yourself, the space it happens in, and the flow of information.” Tony shrugged one shoulder. “I could get two, but not three. Lundy could. He could get you to talk because you don’t know him well enough to read him the way you could me and that gave him a lot more leverage. Not to mention the fact that he wasn’t lying about having people he could call. Or his being willing to hold you here---”

“Until hell froze over if necessary,” Lundy interjected, with a tight smile.

Gibbs ignored him, keeping his focus on Tony. “It didn’t have to be an interrogation, DiNozzo. I came here to talk to you; it wasn’t like I was going to hide anything.”

Tony rolled his eyes, snorting delicately. “The entire time I worked for you, voluntary full disclosure was never your thing, Gibbs. Whether it was working with another agency or your team, you didn’t give up anything until you had to. I doubt much has changed in three months.”

Gibbs frowned. “I didn’t make things easy for the FBI or the CIA but I didn’t--.”

“You can write it off as trying to teach us how to think for ourselves or making us better investigators, but the end result was you horded information like a miser does gold.” Tony leaned forward, green eyes boring into blue. “Bottom line, Gibbs, for me to get as many details as possible, we both know it wasn’t going to happen during a quiet conversation over coffee. Especially since I can’t remember us ever having one of those. Heart to hearts weren’t exactly your style, so you’ll have to forgive me for not thinking you wanted to start doing that now.”

Tony sat back, his expression blandly neutral. “So what’s the rest? The bit you wouldn’t tell Lundy?” Tony cocked his head to one side. “There was never anything personal between us that I can think of. Certainly nothing to bring you all the way here.”

Gibbs’ jaw clenched hearing that calmly delivered statement. No self-pity, just a clear statement of fact. Tony really thought Gibbs saw him as nothing more than just another agent. Or maybe more accurately, a useful tool for busting the bad guys and little else. And after the La Grenouille case, he was relegated to some guy on Gibbs’ team who was no longer completely trustworthy. Shit. Shepard was right. Damn that bitch for seeing what Gibbs hadn’t.

“Why did you quit?” Gibbs countered rather than answer Tony’s question. He wasn’t ready to have an audience for that conversation•at least not yet, maybe not ever. And he wanted to know more about what Lundy had alluded to earlier. Just what the hell had Shepard done that made Tony quit? It hadn’t been just Gibbs and the team; although they’d definitely done their share…it was more than that. The question was how much more.

Tony frowned. “Does it matter?”

Did it matter, Gibbs thought with a mental grimace, of course it mattered. He wanted to head slap Tony in the worst way. “Yes, it matters.”

Both Tony’s eyebrows rose. “Why?”

“What do you mean why?”

Tony looked confused. “There were no active cases when I left. And It’s not like I was needed or left you short handed. I’m sure there were a bunch of qualified agents ready to take my place. You probably had my position filled the day I left.”

“No,” Gibbs shook his head, “I didn’t pick anyone to---”

“Decided to stick with just McGee and Ziva then.” Tony nodded. “They work well together, and they always said they could do more without me around. Guess they are getting the chance to prove it.”

Gibbs blinked. They were joking. How could Tony not know that? He didn’t really think they’d been serious…did he? Shepard had pointed that out to Gibbs too but until now he hadn’t really believed her.

“You like and respect them.” Tony looked away before adding. “And you trust them. That’s a solid foundation for a good team. No reason to add someone new to the mix. Especially when you don’t really want or need anyone else.”

“What? No, Tony you don’t understand. It’s not•“

“Look, it doesn’t matter. It never did.” Tony shoved his chair back from the table. “Right now it’s better if we focus on the real problem, the FBI…and Jeanne.”

None of it showed on his face, but there was a wealth of pain and regret in Tony’s voice as he said her name. As much as Gibbs resented it being Lundy who reached out to squeeze Tony’s shoulder in a show support and comfort, he was damn glad Tony had someone who could do that much for him.

Tony got to his feet. “It’s probably best if I wasn’t involved directly in any inquiries. God only knows what those morons will make of my leaving, but no reason to add insult to injury by having me working as an obvious part of the investigation. That’s just asking for trouble.”

Gibbs tried again. “Tony•“

“Lundy, can you•“

“I got it, Tony. No worries.” Lundy gave him an understanding smile as he also rose to his feet. “I can make some calls. The squad can pull things together here.” Brown eyes met green, and something passed between them that Gibbs couldn’t follow. “Go home.”

“I can’t just•“

“Yes, you can.” Lundy raised a hand and cupped Tony’s cheek. “You trust me, right?”

“With my life.” Tony answered without hesitation.

For a moment, Gibbs was extraordinarily jealous finding himself on the outside looking in. There was a time when it would be him having that conversation with Tony. When he would have been the one Tony had looked to for help, the one he’d have sought out to fix the problem.

“And you trust Joe.”

It wasn’t a question, but Tony answered Lundy anyway. “Of course.”

“And Roberto, and Legs, and Esteban, and Annie, and•“

“Yes, yes, yes.” Tony laughed softly. “You made your point. I’ll go home.”

“Good boy.”

Tony held up a hand, pointing a finger at Lundy. “I expect you to fill me in.”

“Natch.” Lundy grinned, lightly patting Tony’s cheek before making a fist. Tony bumped it with his knuckles. “Tonight over dinner we’ll cover all the bases.”

“Thanks.” Tony turned toward the door.

“Tony.”

“Yeah, Cowboy?”

“Don’t run any farther or longer than the usual, ya hear?”

Tony gave him a wry smile. “Some days having someone know me so well sucks.”

“Yeah, I know the feeling.” Lundy raised two fingers in the same casual salute he’d given Nelson earlier. “And you’ll be the one explaining this to Joe.”

Tony grimaced. “Give me the easy job why don’t you.”

Lundy laughed. “Always.”

“Gibbs.” Tony nodded to him. “It was good to see you again.”

Gibbs moved toward the door, intent on stopping Tony only to find Lundy in his way.

“Let him go.”

“No.” Gibbs snarled at Lundy, prepared to use force to get by him if necessary.

“You’re poking a snake that’s going to bite you.”

“I’m not worried about you.”

“I’m not talking about me,” Lundy told him, shaking his head. “Anything you say will be wasted because he’s in no mood to hear it. Talking to him now will just piss him off. Better to bide your time and do it right.”

“I don’t need advice from you.”

“Well, it’s damned obvious you could use advice from someone.” Lundy stepped to the side, giving Gibbs a clear path to the door. “But don’t let that stop you. Go on and do it your way. Fuck it up even more. No skin off my nose.”

Gibbs hesitated. Lundy was right. Gibbs had seen Tony in this sort of mood before. It didn’t happen often, but when it did, talking to him never did any good. Gibbs eyed Lundy, not entirely sure he could trust him. The man had been ready to kick his ass only a few minute ago.

“Why would you help me?”

“Not you I’m helpin’, it’s him.” Lundy took a deep breath and released it. “I think you got stuff to say he could probably stand to hear…stuff that will fill the holes he likes to pretend aren’t there.”

Gibbs knew all about holes. He’d had his own share when Shannon and Kelly died, when he went to Mexico, when Tony left.

“You think there was something personal between you that needs to be talked about…and even though he denied it, pretty sure Tony agrees with you.” Lundy sighed. “Getting him to admit it...and sit down to hear what you got to say…that isn’t going to happen if you push. He’ll just push back.”

“He should never have left NCIS.”

“Don’t agree with you on that one.” Lundy shrugged, expression unapologetic. “But if you want to convince him you’re right it would be better you bided your time. Pick the time and place when you might actually win the argument.”

Gibbs sighed, rubbing wearily at his eyes. This was not at all how he envisioned things going. He couldn’t honestly say what he had expected…he just knew this wasn’t it.

“You said you came to help Tony?”

Gibbs looked up. “I did.”

“Then how about you work the case here with us. We got some ducks that need to line up before the Feds show up and we have to go to D.C.” Lundy frowned, muttering darkly, “God, I hate D.C.”

“You’re okay with me working the case?” Gibbs blinked. Somehow he half expected to be locked in the interrogation room for the duration. He sure as hell wouldn’t have let an outsider work on something so important.

“We got the same goal, don’t we?”

“Yes.”

“A pissing contest would be counter productive,” Lundy stated practically. “We will get further working together. Unless, of course, you want to stay locked in here?”

“Hell no.”

Lundy grinned, nodding once. He headed out the door. “Then get your ass in gear, Gibbs, we’re burning daylight.”