- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Joe talk while they wait on Levon and Gibbs.
Tony was glad Levon was taking his time coming home. It had taken the better part of an hour to get Joe to stop yelling and cursing in Italian. Not that Levon wasn’t well versed in dealing with Joe’s temper, or capable of handling it, but after spending most of the day with Gibbs, Tony didn’t think Levon should have to. He’d rather Levon got to come home to the quiet house he knew the blond preferred.

Tony shook his head, watching from the porch swing as Joe continued pacing the length of the deck, dark mutterings audible as he moved. He was glad his cousin hadn’t actually joined the family business; it wasn’t hard to imagine Joe contracting a hit on the former Marine.

Tony wasn’t entirely sure what made Joe angrier, the fact that Gibbs was in town at all or the fact that he was in Houston because Tony was being accused of killing Rene Benoit. Quite a bit of Joe’s tirade had centered on Gibbs being a moron if he thought Tony was capable of premeditated murder. Tony had tried to point out that Gibbs wasn’t in Houston to arrest him, nor did he appear to believe Jeanne’s accusation, but his words fell on deaf ears. Joe clearly wanted to believe the worst of Gibbs.

Tony shook his head again, sighing silently. He almost regretted telling Joe and Levon everything about his time in NCIS. Right from the beginning they’d heard the best and the worst about his experiences as a federal agent. Of course, the bad outweighed the good toward the end. Tony could understand how it would be hard not to think the worst of Gibbs in light of all the shit that happened. Just the capricious way he’d quit only to return four months later, summarily demoting Tony and dismissing his efforts as acting team leader, had earned him a black mark in Joe’s book that likely wouldn’t be erased any time soon. The less than stellar treatment Tony had gotten after the La Grenouille case certainly hadn’t helped any.

Tony was glad he’d started this conversation outside when Joe got home from testifying in court. It was definitely easier on the ears to let Joe yell where the volume wouldn’t be contained inside four walls, and the nearest neighbor was far enough away not to hear him. Having the added space to move was also a plus. It gave Joe more room to vent his anger, long angry strides crossing the deck rapidly back and forth as he struggled to rein in his temper.

Tony had a new appreciation for Levon’s ability to go toe to toe with Joe. The volume and vehemence the man could bring to bear was impressive. But then, Levon had a temper of his own that, in the early days of their partnership, rivaled Joe’s. Tony bet their make up sex was just as explosive---not that he’d ever asked. It was far too personal and none of his business.

Tony waited patiently for Joe to wind down. He had learned some time ago it was better to just let his cousin rant and rave for a bit. He’d see reason after awhile, but the man needed to get it out of his system first.

When Joe stopped pacing, and stood still taking slow deep breaths, Tony knew the man was open to talking and actually listening to what he had to say. He waited a few more minutes, just to be on the safe side.

“You done?”

Joe gave him a dirty look before huffing out a soft laugh. “For now.”

“Feel better?”

Joe snorted, running a hand though his dark hair. “Taking a page out of Levon’s book are you?”

Tony’s lips curled upward in a small smile. When not angry himself, Levon often did exactly what Tony had just done---let Joe run with the bit in his teeth until he wore himself out enough to see reason. And he inevitably asked the same questions Tony just had once Joe cooled down.

“It works.”

“True.” Joe shook his head, pointing a finger at Tony. “You tell him I said that and I will kick your ass.”

“Your secret is safe with me.” Tony held up his right hand in the traditional Boy Scout salute. “I promise.”

“That would carry a bit more weight if you were actually a boy scout, Tony.”

“It’s not like he doesn’t already know.”

Joe smiled. “My Cowboy is no fool.

“No he’s not.” Tony gave Joe a level look. “You should trust him to handle Gibbs and the FBI.”

“I do trust him,” Joe glared at Tony but it lacked any real heat. “It’s them I don’t trust.”

“The FBI might want to see me behind bars, but Gibbs doesn’t.”

“You sure about that?” Joe’s piercing blue eyes measured Tony carefully.

Tony nodded. “He knows I didn’t kill La Grenouille.” He gave Joe a bitter smile. “Not sure I believe he’s here to help me, because altruism isn’t exactly a trait he was known for"“

“Got that right.” Joe growled. “You said the fucker had an ulterior motive, one he wouldn’t tell Levon.”

“It wasn’t an ulterior motive.” Tony rolled his eyes. Calling whatever other reason Gibbs had for wanting to talk to Tony that just made it sound…sinister. Gibbs might not have trusted him in the end, liked or respected him for most of his time at NCIS, but Tony didn’t think the older man actually harbored any ill will.

“He said it was personal.”

“And you said there is nothing personal between you,” Joe pointed out.

Tony blinked, surprised Joe had actually heard that. He’d still been yelling at that point so Tony assumed most of what he’d said would have been in one ear and out the other, if it even registered at all.

“How do you do that?”

“What?”

“Remember what I said when you weren’t even listening to me.”

“Just because I don’t acknowledge it doesn’t mean I wasn’t listening.” Joe grinned. “If it’s any consolation that drives Levon nuts too.”

“And he still puts up with you?” Tony shook his head, in mock surprise, chuckling. “I didn’t know he had masochistic tendencies.”

“Nah, he just loves me.”

“Put up with a lot from the ones we love.” Tony smiled, knowing his cousin would realize he wasn’t talking about just Joe and Levon.

“Do things for them we wouldn’t do for anyone else,” Joe agreed with a sigh. He gave Tony a resigned look. “I will play nice with Gibbs…if that’s what you want.” The way he said it made it clear Joe wouldn’t like doing it, but he’d do it for Tony.

“Thank you.” Tony stood up and pulled Joe into a hug.

“If he’s an ass to you, I will hurt him,” Joe whispered in Tony’s ear before he pulled away enough to place a quick kiss on Tony’s temple.

Tony smirked. It wasn’t quite word for word what Levon had said but the sentiment was identical. It wasn’t really hard to see why they were a good couple---when it came to what really mattered they agreed more than they disagreed.

“I can stand up for myself, you know?” Tony lightly punched Joe on the shoulder when he stepped back.

“I know you can.” Joe grinned. “But you shouldn’t have to stand alone. You’re family, Tony. Not just mine any more either. Levon’s all but adopted you. The squad too. We look out each other.”

Tony nodded, his throat too tight to say anything. He never got tired of being reminded that looking out for their own wasn’t just lip service in Houston. Tony didn’t have to worry about being left out, ignored or dismissed as unimportant here. It was a novel feeling, and one he hoped never to take for granted.

“So you’ll make dinner without poison?” Tony joked, when he could speak. Levon calling to tell Tony he was bringing Gibbs home with him so they could discuss the progress on the case was another thing that had pissed Joe off. It might have been even the thing that pissed him off the most, but Tony wasn’t sure.

“I won’t over season or add anything the recipe doesn’t call for to his meal, but he’s not getting any cookies.”

Tony laughed. “That’ll do.”

Joe sighed deeply, his gaze shifting to look out over the paddock where Levon’s horses stood, head to tail, keeping each other company. He leaned his forearms against the railing. “If you don’t think he’s here just to help you, and there isn’t anything personal between you, why do you think he’s here?”

“I’m not really sure.” Tony bit his lower lip. He shrugged one shoulder in a restless motion before moving to stand next to Joe, mimicking his posture. He knew better than to think Joe would simply let that detail slip by without further discussion.

“He didn’t act like he wanted to give me hell for how I quit. Pretty sure if he wanted to do that he wouldn’t have waited three months. The man isn’t exactly patient, and it’s not like I was hiding.”

The NCIS team tracked people down for a living. Finding Tony should have been a piece of cake. He hadn’t made any serious effort to hide his whereabouts and it wasn’t like there weren’t ample clues as to where he’d gone. His flight to Houston was hardly clandestine. Joe’s name and number were listed in his file. All of his frat brothers knew about Joe and how close they were. He was fairly certain he was listed in the file the FBI had on Joe…at least as a footnote if nothing else.

Tony had gotten a new driver’s license and the change would have been recorded in DC. Being hired as a cop would have been noted in several databases Abby, McGee and even Gibbs could have accessed with ease. His small trust fund was also noted in his file; it wouldn’t have taken much to pull the records and track the first large withdrawal he’d made in years. Tony used the money to buy another classic muscle car. It cost more than the insurance money from his Mustang, but he couldn’t pass up getting the Pontiac GTO Judge. He rarely drove it, preferring to go to work with Joe and Levon, but he liked having his own set of wheels to use whenever he wanted.

Tony knew Beaumont had called Ducky and Lee to check his references. Tony had asked them not to mention his being in contact or his request for them to act as references, but he never told them not to say anything about getting a call from the Houston PD. If anyone asked, Tony didn’t want them to feel like everything was off limits. It was too much pressure to put on people already doing him a favor. And he knew both Lee and Ducky were smart enough to recognize the loophole he gave them if they felt need to say something.

“Maybe he didn’t want to chew you out in front of strangers,” Joe suggested bringing Tony back to their discussion. “You don’t dress down your people in public.” Joe neatly imitated Beaumont’s tone and inflection as he quoted her. It was one of the things Beaumont believed in rather firmly. She praised in public, chastised in private. She saw nothing to be gained from embarrassing anyone on her staff, especially in front of strangers. She preferred to motivate her people in ways that rewarded them rather than punished.

“Other people might ascribe to that philosophy.” Tony smiled ruefully. “But Gibbs was never one of them.

“Bastard.”

“And then some.”

After a moment, Joe sighed softly, bumping Tony’s shoulder with is own. “So he wasn’t here to give you a piece of his mind. What else could have brought him to Houston?”

Tony pursed his lips. He had no clear answer. It was a mystery they probably wouldn’t solve without actually talking to Gibbs. Tony shook his head. He didn’t want to talk to the man. There wasn’t anything he needed to say. And he doubted Gibbs had anything to say he needed to hear. The man had never been shy about speaking his mind the whole time Tony worked for him. He’d said plenty. He should be relieved Tony finally got the damn message. It had certainly taken him long enough.

Tony sighed. “He clearly didn’t know anything about my conversation with Shepard. That definitely was news to him.”

Joe raised both eyebrows. “Wonder just how she explained your leaving.”

“My guess would be she didn’t.” Tony rolled his eyes. He couldn’t see Shepard admitting to any wrong doing---ever. “She could always claim she didn’t know anything about why I left. Even if she let them read the formal resignation I left on her desk….you know I make a point of not saying anything personal about anyone when I leave a job.”

Tony knew from prior experience that personal comments would just come back to bite him in the ass. And nothing in the letters he’d left for Gibbs and his teammates said anything definitive about his reasons for leaving. He didn’t want his final words to them to be petty or sound as though he was wallowing in self-pity. Shepard could easily have just pretended to be as clueless as everyone else.

“Or she could have gone on the offense if asked and pointed the finger at Gibbs and the team.” Tony shrugged. “It’s not like she didn’t know I was unhappy with the way things were.”

He scowled. She’d no doubt been looking for a weakness to exploit since the day she took the job. Things were a little too ready for him to step in on the La Grenouille case, but at the time he’d attributed to Shepard just being good at pulling things together. It wasn’t until later he realized she wasn’t nearly as good as he thought or expected her to be. Hindsight was a bitch.

He sighed, shaking his head. “Sad thing is she was the only one who did notice.”

“All the more reason to leave.”

“True.” Shepard may have been the final straw but she was far from the whole load.

Tony took deep breath and let it out slowly. “Gibbs didn’t replace me.”

“Which means what?” Joe asked, his tone gentle.

“The team is getting along just fine without me. They never needed me at all.”

“Don’t be an idiot.” Joe frowned at him. “You were a damn good agent and one hell of a good guy. They’d be stupid not to miss you.”

Tony flushed. “You’re biased.”

“Doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” Joe bumped his shoulder once more, smiling. "You are an asset to our team. That they are too fucking stupid to know a good thing when they got it just made life a hell of a lot better for us. You ask anyone on the squad, Tony," Joe's expression sobered, blue eyes unwavering as they met green, "they will tell you the same thing."

“You’re good for my ego.”

“As it should be.” Joe nodded once firmly. “Maybe Gibbs is here to get all the details on why you left.”

“Why would that matter now?” Tony asked. “It’s been three months.”

“If the FBI had any sense they’d be looking into the entire team…not just you. It’s what we’d do.”

“True.” Tony nodded. He could see where Joe was going with his reasoning. If the FBI thought Tony killed La Grenouille, they might not think he acted on his own. Especially not once they got the whole story on Shepard’s involvement. Not that Tony expected they’d get the whole story---but they’d get enough to make expanding the focus of their investigation a logical reaction. And that expanded focus couldn’t help but center on Gibbs’ team.

“So he’s here to help me because it will help him and them.” It made sense. Gibbs would want to keep his people in the clear, and the best way to do that would be to exonerate Tony. If Tony wasn’t a suspect, the others likely wouldn’t be either, or at least they aren’t directly in the line of fire any more. That would be exactly the sort of ‘looking out for his own’ that Gibbs would do.

“We don’t know for sure,” Joe shrugged, “but it’s a far more likely scenario than the bastard coming here to apologize for being an ass.”

Tony nodded, disappointed with their conclusion but unable to find fault with it. It was far more likely that pigs would fly than Gibbs would apologize to Tony for anything.

“No matter what….you got nothing to worry about,” Joe told him, his tone calm and confident.

“How do you figure that?” Tony arched an eyebrow.

“You didn’t kill anyone.” Joe smiled. “You got me, Levon and the rest of the squad willing to go to bat for you and prove you didn’t. And even if Gibbs is here on some self-serving mission, the end result will still be in your favor because to do what he’s here for, he’s got to help you.”

“That last bit isn’t terribly reassuring.” Tony snorted.

“Then focus on the first bit.” Joe told him with a pragmatic tone that wouldn’t have been unusual coming from Levon. It was more proof of the positive influence Levon had been on Joe.

Joe straightened up and slapped Tony on the back. “C’mon. Levon and the bastard will be here soon. We better get dinner started.”

“You aren’t going to call Gibbs that when he gets here are you?”

“I might.” Joe grinned.

“You said you’d play nice.” Tony reminded his cousin.

“Only as long as he does.”

Tony shook his head. He wasn’t laying odds on that one. “Don’t put the good china on the table.”

Normally, the fine bone china that Levon had inherited from mother was used for special occasions, and a guest, even one not exactly welcome, would warrant using them. But Tony didn’t want to think about what it would cost to replace even one of those antique pieces if things got ugly at the dinner table.

Joe laughed. “Already way ahead of you, Slick.”

“Paper and plastic?” Tony asked, looking appropriately aghast. Ordinarily Joe wouldn’t even consider serving a sit down meal on or with anything but ‘proper’ dishware and utensils. A product of his up bringing, Joe viewed a host setting a place at the table for a guest with anything less than good quality as an insult.

“Got some leftover from when we had the team over for a cookout.”

Tony shook his head as he followed Joe into the house. Gibbs wouldn’t even notice the slight, but Levon would. And if little stuff like that kept the peace, Tony wasn’t going to fight Joe on it. Besides, Tony was enjoying the warm and fuzzy feeling knowing Joe would choose to deliberately insult Gibbs, however subtly, in a show of support of him a little too much to worry about it.