- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Dinner with Joe, Levon, Tony and Gibbs.
Gibbs found following Lundy’s truck easy, but then the man wasn’t trying to lose him. Gibbs suspected that had Lundy wanted to shake him, it wouldn’t be hard for the Texan to pull off. The unfamiliar city and crazy drivers would definitely be to Lundy’s advantage. And his truck had a lot more power than the rental car Gibbs was driving.

Lundy offered to let Gibbs ride with him and leave his rental car in the police garage, but Gibbs had declined. He didn’t know the other man well enough to trust him behind the wheel. Even with his team, Gibbs opted to drive more often than not. And he was too unsure of Lundy to want to spend time in a confined space with him alone. Time in the interrogation room had already proven to Gibbs he wasn’t operating at his best. He needed some time to recover his equilibrium and confidence.

Gibbs blinked in surprise as they headed out of the city and into the suburbs. He knew from what little Ducky was willing to let slip that Tony mentioned he was ‘staying with friends’. Gibbs had assumed by that Tony meant his cousin and possibly whatever girl LaFiamma was involved with. He expected that would mean a place in the city, something urban. Nothing in LaFiamma’s FBI file or in Tony’s history had led Gibbs to think either one would be interested in living in any area even remotely rural.

Gibbs unconsciously relaxed as he watched the crowded streets of the city give way to more open housing. The regular, ordered, cookie cutter structure of the burbs ultimately gave way to larger lots of varying size with a less regimented appearance. The same style of house wasn’t repeated over and over. The lawns were well kept, but not manicured. Large trees bespoke of age and permanence that new developments simply couldn’t hope to match for at least several decades. And the landscaping was more natural rather than looking like something done by a professional for a Better Homes and Gardens’ cover. They were the sort of places that looked lived in, welcoming and comfortable.

Gibbs could easily imagine himself living in these older neighborhoods, but couldn’t quite envision Tony liking it. It wasn’t quite the boondocks, but it was far from the hustle and bustle of the urban environment Tony had thrived in when he lived in Baltimore and D.C.

Lundy pulled into a driveway of a ranch style house with a two car garage. A small barn was off to the left and slightly behind the house. A pair of horses grazing in the adjacent pasture lifted their heads, ears flickering forward in interest before they once more resumed grazing. Gibbs thought maybe they belonged to a neighbor. Nothing in LaFiamma’s file indicated any affinity for or interest in horses.

Gibbs pulled in behind Lundy. He got out of the car, discreetly stretching out kinks from the drive. Getting no sleep the night before, flying into Houston and then working all day had left him feeling a stiff and sore. He didn’t show any weakness by letting those aches and pains show, but Gibbs couldn’t help feeling envious when Lundy got out of this truck and executed an obvious stretch, arms overhead, vertebrae popping as he did it. He resisted the urge to give the man a dirty look when he sighed in satisfaction. The smirk he got from Lundy told him is effort at restraint was wasted. I could hate you so easily, Gibbs thought darkly.

Gibbs sighed, reining in his thoughts. No point in making an enemy of the one person in Houston who seemed at least somewhat inclined to help him.

Gibbs looked around as he walked to where Lundy waited. Everything was neat, clean and well maintained. There was an obvious sense of pride in ownership without being showy. Gibbs couldn’t help but approve.

“Nice place.”

“Thanks.” Lundy smiled. “I like it too.”

Gibbs blinked. “I thought this was Joe’s house.”

“Belongs to both of us.”

Gibbs raised an eyebrow. It wasn’t uncommon for partners to be close, but owning real estate and living together was…unusual. Gibbs wasn’t quite sure what to make of it. He shrugged, following Lundy to the front door.

Lundy stepped inside. He called out in a sing-song, “Honey, I’m home.”

“Hey, Cowboy.”

A tall, dark haired man stepped out of the kitchen. Having seen his picture, Gibbs immediately recognized Joseph LaFiamma. He hadn’t seen any resemblance to Tony in the photo, but there were similarities in the way LaFiamma moved, and the wary, slightly hostile expression on his face when he saw Gibbs definitely matched the one Tony had worn at their first meeting in Baltimore.

“Joe, this is Special Agent Gibbs.”

Cold turquoise eyes measured Gibbs. The former Marine felt like he should ready himself for a blow, and unconsciously shifted his weight in preparation. But Joe didn’t lash out. He simply nodded in response to Lundy’s introduction.

“Tony mentioned he’d be coming with you.” Joe’s voice was deep and even, his accent readily betraying that he wasn’t native to Texas.

“Good.” Lundy grinned, bright and hard. “That means no blood on the floor.”

The statement was both a request and a warning. The only other person Gibbs had ever heard successfully blend those two things was Shannon. And they’d been married a good three years before that skill even registered with Gibbs. It piqued his curiosity again about just how close Lundy and LaFiamma were.

He also got the distinct impression that their initial greeting would have been different if he hadn’t been there. Something in their body language suggested an aborted action. Gibbs couldn’t quite pin down what made him think so, but his gut was telling him there was more to Lundy and LaFiamma than he was seeing.

Before he could really figure it out, Lundy completed the introductions. “Gibbs this is Joseph LaFiamma.”

Gibbs held out his hand. He half expected LaFiamma to do something stupidly macho like try to size him up by squeezing the hell out of his hand, and he’d be in for a rude awakening if that was the case. LaFiamma’s handshake was firm, but there was no effort to turn it into anything more.

“Dinner ready?” Lundy asked as he turned to hang up his Stetson on a hook near the door.

Something in the kitchen smelled delicious. It made Gibbs’ mouth water. A few of the Houston cops had commented how lucky Gibbs was to be eating a dinner LaFiamma made. They thought very highly of his ability to cook. Gibbs hoped the man wasn’t the petty sort who would spit in his meal out of spite. Not having any thing more for breakfast than a bag of pretzels and nothing but coffee for lunch, Gibbs was hungry.

“Just about.” LaFiamma gave Lundy a speculative look. “You skipped lunch, didn’t you?”

“I had a candy bar.”

“And at least a dozen cups of coffee.” LaFiamma snorted. “That’s not the same as having lunch, Levon.”

“Was enough, Joe.” Lundy shrugged. “Not like I’m going to starve.”

“Right, because staving off the threat of starvation is the only reason any of us eat.” LaFiamma rolled his eyes. “You’re as bad as Tony.”

“I am not.” Lundy laughed softly. “He’d have ordered pizza.”

“Like barbeque is so much better.” LaFiamma grimaced. “You and Tony will ever convince me that either one of those constitutes a real meal.”

“Ye of little faith.” Lundy smiled. “We’re wearing you down.”

“Don’t bet on it, Cowboy.”

Lundy chuckled. “Speaking of Tony, where is he?”

That was what Gibbs had wanted to know the moment he’d stepped inside the house. There hadn’t been any sign of Tony since meeting him at the office. Gibbs didn’t think Lundy would have lied to him, but had no illusions about LaFiamma being willing to keep Tony hidden away. The man kept sending dark looks his way even while bantering with his partner.

“He’s in the kitchen.”

Gibbs forced himself to let LaFiamma and Lundy lead the way. He didn’t want to look too eager or overly anxious. He wasn’t even sure why maintaining an image mattered, but Gibbs had been doing it for so long he no longer questioned it.

The kitchen had a warm, open feel to it, with enough space to eat in. A beautiful oval table Gibbs thought might be chestnut and undoubtedly an antique took up one corner. Four matching chairs, with intricate geometric diamond shaped inlays of a lighter wood that matched the maple cabinets and sandstone tile flooring, surrounded the table. Another two chairs stood off to one side, side bracketing a well stocked wrought iron wine rack. The chandelier that hung over the table was also wrought iron. It provided sufficient light to see by without being too harsh or overly bright while adding a rustic element that nicely complimented the wine rack, as well as the pot rack that hung over the butcher block island. Copper pots and pans hung from the rack, gleaming duly. They were obviously well cared for and frequently used. Ultramodern appliances with a brushed stainless steel finish should have looked a bit out of place, but didn’t. The overall impression was a well appointed, comfortable kitchen any chef would enjoy using and a room that encouraged people to make themselves at home and linger over a good meal.

All of those details were things Gibbs noticed secondarily. His primary focus was on Tony. He seemed completely at ease, moving around the table to set it with what looked like paper plates and plastic utensils.

Lundy eyed the table. He traded amused glances with Tony before smirking and looking askance at LaFiamma. The other man just shrugged and muttered something Gibbs didn’t quite catch. Whatever LaFiamma said, it made Lundy snicker.

Tony grinned, clearly understanding the joke. Gibbs wasn’t sure if it was at his expense or not, but he suspected it was. It hurt to find himself once more on the outside. Tony had clearly been in Houston long enough to form close attachments that rivaled anything he might have made at NCIS.

“Hello Tony,” Gibbs offered his greeting quietly, unsure if he should draw attention to himself or not, but unwilling to put off being able to talk to Tony any longer.

“Gibbs.” Tony’s voice was without inflection; it wasn’t warm or cold but it made Gibbs wince just the same. Tony had never been neutral toward him before. There was always emotion…anger, relief, surprise, desperation, pride, happiness, smug superiority… something. Tony had never sounded flat or disinterested.

There was silence. Gibbs didn’t know what to say---especially not in front of an audience. And it didn’t look like Tony knew what to say either. Shit. This was not quite how Gibbs expected things to go, but then he didn’t usually have to talk. Other people did it for him. He suddenly missed Abby and Ducky intensely. They would have known what to say, known what to do. Hell, Abby would have just hugged Tony, and started babbling a mile a minute. And Ducky was never on the outs with Tony. Tony had stayed in touch with him at any rate, ignoring everyone else. Gibbs thought he should have brought one of them with him. They would have been able to handle Tony’s wary attitude, hostile coworkers and over protective friends.

“You want a beer?” Lundy asked, turning toward the fridge. The question wasn’t directed at anyone in particular, but Gibbs answered anyway, grateful the blond broke the silence before it became any more awkward.

“Yes, thank you.”

“Slick?”

Tony nodded. “I’ll have one.”

Gibbs fought back a grimace at Lundy’s use of that nickname again. He didn’t like how easily Tony accepted and responded to it knowing it was another indication of how close to these men Tony was.

“Joe?”

“I’ll stick with water, thanks.”

Lundy nodded. He pulled out three beers and a bottle of water. He twisted the tops off each beer with a quick flick of his wrist, carelessly tossing the metal discs into a garbage can that sat at the end of the kitchen counter. He offered one to Gibbs, before moving to offer one to Tony. He handed the bottle of water to LaFiamma.

“Can we eat now, or did you guys want to stare at one another some more?”

“Asshole.” There was no heat in Tony’s insult. Too much amusement danced in his eyes for him to really mean it.

“Guilty.” Lundy saluted Tony with his beer. “I’m also hungry. And if we’re going to spend time talking about the case, which I know you and Joe are just dying to ask about, I’d like to do it over food. Can we do that?”

“Sure, Cowboy.”

Gibbs was mildly surprised to find himself seated across the table from Tony until he realized that the position also left Lundy and LaFiamma on either side of him. His seat also put the most physical distance between him and Tony. The look that passed between Lundy and LaFiamma made it clear the seating arrangement hadn’t been preplanned but it wasn’t exactly accidental either. While Gibbs didn’t appreciate being seen as a threat to Tony, he couldn’t help approving of their efforts to watch his back.

Stuffed pork chops, scalloped potatoes, peas and what had to be a basket of home made rolls made their way around the table. There was no hesitation on Tony or Lundy’s part to dig in, so Gibbs figured it was safe for him to do likewise. The cops hadn’t lied when they said LaFiamma was a damn good cook. Everything was delicious. Gibbs found it odd that someone with such a reputation wouldn’t have real silverware or plates, but then he normally considered coffee a meal, he wasn’t really one to judge.

For several minutes the only sounds being made were those of hungry men eating. Gibbs was relieved that the earlier tension seemed to have past.

“So how strong is the FBI’s case?” LaFiamma asked, after wiping his mouth with a napkin and taking a sip from his water bottle.
.
“I got everything on a flash drive for you both to look at later.” Lundy made eye contact with Tony. “But they don’t have enough to charge you with anything. And they sure as hell don’t have enough to even consider going to trial.”

“You agree with Levon, Gibbs?” Tony asked.

Gibbs nodded, pleased Tony looked to him for confirmation. Maybe Tony hadn’t completely lost faith in him. “Other than Jeanne’s statement, they don’t have evidence to put you at the scene.”

Tony grimaced, shaking his head. “Hell hath no fury.” He sighed deeply, a sound heavily laced with remorse. “I didn’t mean to hurt her.”

LaFiamma reached out, long fingers curling around Tony’s wrist. “We know.”

Gibbs half expected LaFiamma or Lundy to try and excuse or justify Tony’s actions---he was undercover, it wasn’t personal, he wasn’t a bad guy, he hadn’t done anything wrong, there was no reason for him to feel guilty. But the former Marine quickly realized the gesture and simple, honest statement of support and understanding was really what Tony needed. And it was far more than he’d gotten from his NCIS teammates.

He had no idea what Ziva might have said to Tony in the men’s room, but he doubted it had come close to being any where near as supportive. Not if the end result was her expecting Tony to apologize to her. And to the best of his knowledge the only thing McGee had offered was advice on Tony getting back into the dating game. Gibbs, Abby and Ducky had essentially ignored how Tony might have felt about what had happened with Jeanne.

Tony cleared his throat, and looked away. “I did love her.”

“We know that too,” Lundy offered quietly. “This wouldn’t hurt if you didn’t.”

Tony sighed again, shaking his head. “What a cluster.”

“Yep.” Lundy agreed.

Gibbs realized that simple acknowledgement of the situation, given without condemnation was more than any of the team had given Tony. They’d blamed him for keeping the operation a secret. None of them admitted to understanding or accepting that Tony had been in an awkward position. Or how difficult following the Directors’ orders might have been for him.

LaFiamma patted Tony’s arm and then let go. He looked toward Lundy. “You think the FBI will try to make the case anyway?”

“Don’t think they really want to put a case together. At least not one against Tony.” Lundy sipped his beer, sitting back in his chair. “I’m thinking the lead agent"“

“Fornell,” Gibbs interjected.


“Fornell,” Tony repeated, eyebrows climbing. “Christ on a crutch doesn’t that man ever give up. He already tried to jail me once and now"“

“He’s after bigger fish and likely using you to get her,” Lundy stated calmly, cutting Tony off before Gibbs could.

“Her?” Tony frowned.

“Their best suspect is the Director of NCIS.” Lundy’s tone was matter-of-fact.
“Jenny?” Tony’s jaw dropped. “You really think they are after her?”

“She had motive, means and opportunity. And it was her gun that killed him. That alone, under normal circumstances, would make her a prime suspect. Her position as director of a government agency no doubt brought them up short. They got to talk soft until they get themselves a damn big stick.” Levon shrugged one shoulder. “I’d say this Fornell is using Jeanne Benoit’s statement and you as the focus of the investigation as a red herring so he can look a lot closer at Shepard. And anyone else on the team who might have been involved.”

Gibbs blinked. Lundy hadn’t said anything like that during the team’s review of the evidence, but Gibbs should have realized such an obvious ploy wouldn’t have gotten by everyone. Hell, he’d figured it out in that room. There was no reason to think Lundy couldn’t do the same---especially if he had contacts with the FBI who’d let more slip than just original case notes.

“So do we take them head on or wait?” LaFiamma asked.

“General feeling of the team was it would be best for Tony to go back to D.C. Take on the FBI on their home turf and make it clear he isn’t hiding anything or trying to outrun them or whatever else they might want to read into his leaving NCIS.”

“He’s not going to deal with them alone.” LaFiamma declared flatly.

Tony glared at his cousin. “I can take care of myself"“

“You shouldn’t have to,” LaFiamma argued, giving Tony a fierce, defiant glare of his own.

“My team will be there.” Gibbs said. “He won’t be alone.”

“Oh yeah, that’s reassuring.” LaFiamma’s glare switched focus. “You were there when all this was going on and didn’t see a fucking thing.”

“Joe, let it go. It’s not his fault.”

“Bullshit, Tony.” LaFiamma hissed. “And even if it’s not his fault, he sure as hell didn’t do much to make it better.”

Gibbs bit back the urge to lash out at LaFiamma. It wasn’t like he hadn’t realized his own culpability. Both Ducky and Shepard had taken pains to point it out to him. And Tony’s leaving had certainly made it hard to ignore just what an idiot Gibbs had been. But it wasn’t going to help Gibbs’ efforts to make things right to have LaFiamma pointing it out again.

“He’s here now,” Lundy remarked calmly.

Not quite the ringing endorsement Gibbs would have liked to hear, nor was it from the person he would have liked to speak up for him. But it was more than he’d expected to hear from Lundy, and it was probably more than he deserved.

“Too little, too late.” LaFiamma shook his head.

“Would only be too late if Tony was dead,” Lundy countered. “And it remains to be seen if it’s too little. ‘Sides, it’s not your call to make.”

LaFiamma opened his mouth, clearly ready to protest. Lundy stopped him cold with two words. It sounded like a name. Gibbs didn’t recognize it but it made LaFiamma close his mouth with an audible snap. He gave his partner a look that would have been deadly if it were possible for looks to be lethal. Gibbs eyed Tony, hoping to see some clue in the younger man’s expression, but the name apparently didn’t mean anything to him either. Tony’s gaze shifted back and forth between the two partners.

“Joe?” Not getting a response fro him, Tony turned toward Lundy. “Levon?”

“S’okay, kid.” Lundy kept his attention on LaFiamma. There was no anger in his expression, but it was clear he wasn’t backing down either from whatever gauntlet he’d thrown in front of his partner. “Just serving Joe a little crow with his dinner. No big deal.”

Joe rolled his eyes, huffing out a breath. All the anger of a moment ago was suddenly gone as if it had never been. Gibbs wondered if the man always switched gears so fast or if it was just with his partner.

“I hate you.”

“No you don’t.” Lundy smiled warmly. “You just hate it when I’m right.”

“Fortunately it doesn’t happen all that often.” LaFiamma smirked.

Lundy chuckled. “You just keep telling yourself that, boy.”

“We are going with Tony, though, aren’t we?” It was not really a question.

“Already called Ezra.” Lundy nodded. “He said we could borrow the jet.”

Tony frowned. “Who’s Ezra?”

That was exactly what Gibbs wanted to know.

“He’s an old friend. He---“

“Owes you a favor.” LaFiamma and Tony said at the same time, both of them laughing.

Lundy shrugged, color warming his cheeks. “One or two.”

LaFiamma shook his head. “I’m telling you, Tony, everyone he knows owes him.”

“Not everyone.” Lundy chuckled. “But if you’d rather fly coach and pay through the nose to do it, I can always tell Ez we changed our minds"“

“Don’t you dare! I love Gulfstreams.”

Tony sounded so much like a little boy it made Gibbs smile. He’d forgotten about Tony’s fondness for the expensive, private jets. His smile faded. Clearly Lundy was aware of Tony’s fascination with them. He really hated feeling like he was constantly playing catch up.

“When do we leave?” Tony asked.

Gibbs was tempted to tell him ‘right now.’ Lundy answered before he could.

“Whenever you want.”

Tony grimaced. “Would rather not go at all.”

“You don’t have to go. You could wait for them to come to you,” LaFiamma said, and Gibbs nearly bit his tongue to keep from contradicting him. He wasn’t in a position to force Tony to return to D.C. no matter how much he’d like to.

Tony took a breath and let it out slowly. “It’ll be better if I go.”

“Probably,” Lundy agreed, trading a look with LaFiamma. “Still your call, Slick. We’ll back you no matter what you decide.”

“Thanks.”

Lundy gave Tony a two fingered salute. “No problem.”

“Any time, Tony.” LaFiamma seconded his partner’s sentiment.

“I don’t want to give Fornell any more reason to fuck up my life than he already has. So D. C. it is I guess.” Tony sounded more certain of his decision than he looked. His gaze fixed on Lundy. “You have that flash drive?”

Lundy pulled it from his shirt pocket, offering it to Tony. “Forewarned is forearmed.” Before giving it to Tony, Lundy nodded toward Gibbs. “He can go over it with you while Joe and I clean up.”

LaFiamma seemed ready to protest but a firm look from Lundy stopped him from saying anything. It really was a neat trick. Gibbs once more found himself wondering just how close they were. The only person who’d ever quelled him with a look was Shannon.

Tony’s jaw tightened. “You’re about as subtle as a sledgehammer.”

“True. But subtle doesn’t seem to work on either one of you. At least not so I’d noticed.” Brown eyes met angry green. “He’s not going to tell you whatever else it is that brought him here with an audience. And he’s not going to leave without saying it. Best thing is to put you both in a room together and let you work it out. God knows he isn’t going to do anything to make that happen”

“He’s right here,” Gibbs all but snarled, angry with being talked about as though he wasn’t and not at all happy about being forced into a corner. “I can speak for myself.”

“Good. They you shouldn’t have any trouble talking to Tony.”

Gibbs glared at Lundy. He really could learn to hate him so easily.

“Tony was right. You are an asshole.”

“Yeah, I know.” Lundy grinned, not at all insulted. He also wasn’t intimidated or repentant.

“You want to talk to Tony or not?” Lundy’s expression turned serious. “Because if not, then you can get the hell out of our house. There’s no other reason for you to be here. You already know everything we know about the case and that Tony is going to go back to D.C. You and yours will be off the hook. And if that’s all you wanted or needed, Joe will be more than happy to show you the door.”

“Damn straight.” LaFiamma looked decidedly eager to do throw him out.

“No.” Gibbs snarled. This was the second time Lundy had backed him into a corner. He didn’t like it any better than he had the first time. And damn the man for actually putting in a position where could do the very thing he’d been trying to do since landing in Houston.

“I need to talk with Tony. Alone.”

Tony snorted. “If this about the case"“

“It’s not.”

Tony frowned. “I don’t need to"“

“Yeah, you do.” Lundy cut him off. A look passed between them, one Gibbs couldn’t decipher.

“Don’t assume you know what he’s got to say.” Lundy spoke softly. “You’ll never learn anything if you think you already know the answers.”

Gibbs nearly gaped in astonishment. Ducky had said almost exactly the same thing. It would be dangerous if those two ever got together. At least Lundy wasn’t prone to telling long winded stories.

“He came all this way, Tony, hear him out.”

“Why the hell should I?” Tony’s fist hit the table. “I don’t owe him a damn thing.”

“No, you don’t. You owe it to yourself.” Lundy leaned forward. “Once we get on the plane for D.C. you’re going to be too focused on the case to have time to deal with him. I know you….it will be like an itch you can’t scratch. Better to take care of it now.”

“I don’t want to take care of it at all.”

“Him being here doesn’t really give you much choice.”

“He’s never given me a choice.”

Gibbs flinched. There was no anger in that statement, only resentment, resignation and disappointment.

“You got something to say, fine.” Tony stood up from the table, his chair scraping loudly against the floor as he shoved it back. “We’ll talk outside.”

Tony stepped out on to the deck, not looking back. Gibbs got up more slowly from the table. The deck wasn’t exactly private, not with the doors open to the kitchen, and Gibbs seriously doubted either Lundy or LaFiamma would close them. He had a feeling Tony picked the deck for just that reason.

“I thought you said talking to him when he was pissed was a bad idea,” Gibbs said, raising an eyebrow at Lundy. “If I pushed, he’d just push back.”

“No, I said he wasn’t in the mood to hear you then so it was a waste of time. And you didn’t push, I did.”

“You think he’s in the mood to hear me now?” The sarcasm dripped from his tone. Tony didn’t exactly look receptive to Gibbs. “That he gives a damn who did the pushing?”

“I didn’t invite you to dinner just to eat. And you can’t honestly tell me you came here just for a free meal.” Lundy cocked his head to one side. “He’s had a few hours to stew on what ‘personal’ reason brought you here. I know he’s got some questions. And you got a few of your own. So go talk to him.”

Lundy shrugged. “Besides, he’s more pissed at me than he his at you. Least for the moment. Imagine whatever it is you got to say might change that.”

Brown eyes measured him. “Just so you know…what I said earlier about those head slaps, it still applies.”

He could feel LaFiamma’s eyes on him as well, studying him. LaFiamma might have been civil but there was no mistaking the fact that he clearly didn’t like Gibbs. He’d probably jump at the chance to back his partner up. Gibbs had no illusions as to why LaFiamma hadn’t hit him earlier. Had Lundy not been there, it was a sure bet blood would have been spilled. Clearly LaFiamma saw him as the bad guy in all of this. Gibbs really wished he could say LaFiamma was wrong to think so, but he couldn’t.

Gibbs glared at Lundy again. “I don’t like being backed into a corner.”

“No one does.” Lundy pointed toward the front door. “And you’re not in a corner. You can still leave. Reckon that’s why you drove yourself. So you could leave whenever you wanted.”

Oh he could leave…if he wanted to lose any chance of making things right and getting Tony to come back to NCIS. If he left now Tony would think the only reason he was ever there was the case. He likely thought that already. And if he didn’t put things right…Abby and Ducky would make his life a living hell, McGee and Ziva would know he failed to shoulder his responsibilities, Shepard would get to smugly tell him ‘I told you so’. He wasn’t going to get a second chance. Leaving was not an option.

Gibbs really hated Texas, Houston in particular, and everyone in it. He squared his shoulders. He wasn’t going to let down his team. He wasn’t going to fail Tony again.