- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ducky, Abby and Jenny's POV.
***************** ******************** **************
Ducky hated leaving messages with machines. There was so little time allotted to express himself properly. And judging by Tony’s text message, he obviously failed to truly convey how concerned he was for the younger man’s well being. Admittedly, he was a little late in calling to check on him, but honestly having Gibbs nearly die had been a considerable distraction. It was unnerving to think of how close he’d come to losing the pigheaded fool twice in as many years. An explosion, nearly drowning, he shuddered to think of what would actually kill his friend of more than fifteen years.

Ducky scowled. Clearly Tony had been taking a few lessons from Gibbs when it came to curt communication. A handful of letters that made for words Ducky could barely decipher were hardly the reassurance he’d been looking for. ‘I’m fine’ in any form wasn’t necessarily a valid statement coming from Tony. He had a distressing habit of using variations of that sentence no matter how he gravely injured or sick he might be. Ducky was ready to dial Tony’s number again when it occurred to him that Tony had sent a text rather than call because he obviously didn’t want to talk to him.

Tony had always shown a marked preference in how he communicated with people. Speaking face to face was always his first choice. A video conference was better than just a phone call, and a call was better than e-mail. Texting was used only when no other option was readily available. Or when Tony didn’t genuinely wish to speak to someone but couldn’t entirely ignore them either.

Ducky sighed heavily, closing his phone. There were only two likely reasons Tony would have for wanting to avoid him. Either he was ill or he was angry. Ducky hoped it was the latter. Anger at least could be dealt with in a fairly straightforward manner. Assuming Ducky could get him to listen, to let him explain and apologize properly for not paying more attention or being more attentive. Tony had never been the sort to hold a grudge after all. A little time was all Tony ever seemed to need to sort things out, but talking to him certainly couldn’t hurt.

Illness on the other hand could be far more serious. Like anyone who’d experience lung damaging illnesses, Tony was far more susceptible future lung ailments. Ducky doubted if Gibbs even realized how large a risk Tony had taken to rescue him from his own foolish actions. His old friend could be remarkably near sighted when it came to things like that. Ducky had been sorely tempted to smack Gibbs the way he so often did to Tony, but he doubted it would do any good.

Nodding to himself, Ducky decided it would be best if he bearded the lion in his den. He would go to Tony’s place. He could at least make certain he was in fact as fine as he claimed. And if he was not ill but angry, then he could work on what it would take to fix that.

Ducky briefly considered calling Gibbs. He knew how to pick locks and could readily gain entry to Tony’s home, but he was supposed to be resting, recovering from his own ordeal. And there was little to be gained by worrying Gibbs if there was nothing wrong. Not to mention the fact that breaking into Tony’s home wouldn’t help the situation any. No man liked having the main defense of his personal sanctuary breached with so little effort.

Ducky drove Tony’s apartment building. It was a nice enough neighborhood but the building’s owner wasn’t the best when it came to maintenance. Over the years there had been a number of problems. Most were minor, but the boiler blowing up and cutting off heat and power to the building would have been enough to make Ducky consider moving out. He never understood why Tony hadn’t.

Ducky parked his Morgan. He caught himself looking for Tony’s Mustang in the lot before he remembered the car had been destroyed. He felt his cheeks warm as he realized he had no idea how Tony was getting to work these days.

He didn’t think anyone had ever asked Tony what he’d gotten to replace the destroyed classic or if he’d gotten anything at all. For all they knew he could have been taking the bus to work. Ducky shook his head. Tony would have asked someone from the team for a ride rather than be subjected to what he’d dubbed the ‘loser cruiser’. Wouldn’t he?

Ducky honestly wasn’t certain. Things between the team had been strained. Too many secrets and so many harsh words were bound to cause rifts. Ducky bit his lower lip, worried that the team’s cohesion might not be as sound as he’d been assuming it to be.

Ducky squared his shoulders. If that were the case, then coming to Tony was a sound decision. Such things could not be fixed from a distance.

In the building, Ducky made his way up the stairs to Tony’s third floor walk up. He would have thought an elevator would have been a key requirement for Tony, but then he was young and athletic enough that the exercise likely didn’t faze him as much as it did Ducky.

Ducky knocked on Tony’s door. He waited patiently. It was possible Tony was napping. The younger man had looked a bit frazzled of late; even more so than he had when working undercover in addition to his regular duties. It really wasn’t that long ago Tony had been pulling double duty. Working twenty four hours a day seven days a week was bound to catch up with him eventually. And it wasn’t as though things had gotten easier with the disappearance of the Rene Benoit and his daughter. If anything, the way they’d left, and the fallout afterward had simply made things worse.

He sighed and knocked again. He smiled politely as very petite young woman walked past him, heading down the hall. For a moment her diminutive stature had caused Ducky to almost mistake her for a child. But her obvious curves made it clear she was no prepubescent teenager. She was simply tiny. Ducky smiled thinking her short blond locks styled in what he heard referred to as a ‘pixie cut’ only added to the elf like impression her size created.

“Excuse…you look for Tony, yes?” She asked, her tone hesitant. Her accent and improper grammer made it clear English was not her first language. She was probably eastern European by Ducky’s estimation and based on her body language somewhat shy by nature.

“Yes, I am.” Ducky smiled warmly at her. Unlike the rest of Tony’s teammates, Ducky knew he was usually perceived as harmless by most, but given that he felt huge compared to this small woman, it didn’t hurt to try and appear even more non-threatening.

“He’s not home.” She smiled timidly, brown eyes flickering to meet blue before dancing away.

“You wouldn’t happen to know when he might be returning, would you?”

“Not for days.” She sounded apologetic, clearly sorry she couldn’t give him a better answer. “He said he has time off and going out of town.”

“Ah.” Ducky nodded. “A little rest and relaxation.”

That was another possible reason for the text message. He might have had limited service wherever he’d gone, or no where to plug in the phone to recharge the battery and so was making sparing use of it. Ducky hoped that’s all there was to it. His attention was drawn back to the woman as she spoke again.

“I think Tony really need that.” She opined, expression earnest, her brow furrowed. “Rest and relaxation, yes, that he need. He not like himself for long time.”

“Oh?”

“He normally has smile for everyone. Very friendly. Time to talk and help me with my English. But lately, not so much.” She looked at Tony’s door. “He runs a lot now.”

“Runs a lot?” Ducky frowned, trying to see the significance in her statement. He knew Tony jogged. Most agents did some sort of regular exercise to maintain at least a standard level of fitness.

“Miles and miles.” She sighed. “I see him go in morning. Again at night. I think…he is not working his legs. He work out his demons.” Her face flushed, as though she suddenly realized she’d said too much. “I’m sorry. I go now.”

Ducky was tempted to call her back and explain what she meant, but he had a feeling that short of a Gibbs’ style interrogation he likely wouldn’t get more out of her. And the poor girl hadn’t done anything to be subjected to that sort of treatment.

Ducky grimaced, giving Tony’s door a hard look. He could try calling again, but doubted it would be any more effective than his last attempt. At least he knew the younger man was healthy enough to leave town, even Tony wasn’t so foolish as to make a trip when he wasn’t feeling well. He was a bit disappointed Tony hadn’t mentioned leaving, but then he could understand the younger man feeling the need to have some uninterrupted time to himself. Dealing with his mother and the demands of his job often made Ducky think running away, even for a short time, would be wonderful.

Ducky headed back down the stairs. He would simply have to wait until Tony returned to talk to him. Not the best alternative but certainly not the worst. He’d just have to arrange time on Monday to set things right. That was certainly doable.
********************* ******************** **********
Abby had tried to get McGee to help her work on a ‘thank you’ present for Tony. He’d saved the Bossman’s life so he was totally deserving of some sort of recognition. And if McGee had argued to the contrary she’d have belted him one, but he’d just put her off saying he was busy at some stupid book signing.

His agent thought some more publicity was needed for Thom E. Gemcity’s new book due to be released in another week. It had taken him several months longer than planned to actually finish it, but it was finally done. While Abby was happy for McGee to have his moment in the spotlight, she was still disappointed that he wasn’t available to help her.

She made a face at her own reflection in the store window. Signing her name and making nice with strangers wasn’t her idea of a good time. It seemed like a crappy way to spend a few days off.

She sighed moving on to the next store. Abby needed to find the right gift. It had to be something awesome. Tony had risked his life to safe Gibbs. She couldn’t just get him anything.

She’d considered asking Ziva, but dismissed the idea. She didn’t think the other woman would be willing to visit as many stores as necessary to find the perfect thing. Ziva just didn’t seem the sort who would want to put in that level of effort. Not that McGee would willingly have done it either, but Abby could browbeat or blackmail him into it. And then make it up to him with a nice meal, or new computer game, or something.

Abby browsed though yet another display of things that were just mediocre. She could get Tony black roses…she had before, but belatedly realized they were more her thing than his. It wasn’t right to give someone a gift they didn’t really want or entirely like.

She didn’t want to get him another DVD. Tony’s collection was huge and he already owned all his favorites. A movie poster might be okay…if it was vintage and good quality, but she didn’t think she could find something like that on short notice.

She’d considered a toy Ferrari before passing on it. Tony might think it was silly. She knew he’d much rather have the real thing. Hell, she’d rather have the real thing, but it wasn’t an option on her budget.

Abby eyed the plush toys, petting a few as she walked down the aisle. Tony liked Bert okay, but she didn’t think he’d care for a toy of his own. She wrinkled her nose at the idea of giving him a teddy bear. They were so ordinary. Maybe if she dyed the fur and added a studded collar…nah, still totally the wrong thing.

She sighed. Maybe no toy at all would work. She headed outside and worked her way further up the street. She stopped at a high end clothing store, looking into the window. A silk tie to replace the pretty one that had been ruined was a possibility but it didn’t seem like enough. A tie was hardly a gift that implied ‘hero’.

She grimaced, disappointed in herself. Tony would know exactly what would be the right thing, but she couldn’t really ask him. It would ruin the surprise for one thing…and for another, he wasn’t answering his phone.

She was a bit worried that he hadn’t picked up when she called. He hadn’t come to the hospital, which at the time Abby hadn’t even noticed. She was too distraught over Gibbs nearly dying to notice much of anything. But she had wanted to thank him, and tell him what a good job he’d done once she calmed down.

She pursed her lips, considering why he might not have picked up. Maybe he was busy. He did have a life outside the office…or so he said. Some days Abby wasn’t so sure. Even if he was telling the truth, Gibbs’ rules said to always be reachable, and so far Tony had always followed that rule. He was a bit lax on the others, but never messed up that one.

And Tony always took her calls. That wasn’t true of everyone. He had ignored Ziva’s calls when he was working undercover and that was totally understand able, but he’d never not answered a call from Abby. Never.

Maybe his phone died in the water or something. Yeah. That could be it. He just hadn’t gotten a new one yet. Tony rarely bothered answering his landline, so Abby didn’t even think to call his home.

Abby sighed, resolving to stop thinking about why he hadn’t answered. She shook her head, pigtails bouncing, deciding that a tie was definitely not the right thing. Or any sort of clothing really. Unless she got him a cape, but she couldn’t really see Tony wearing that. Even if he would look good in it. He definitely had the legs for tights. Not that she’d ever tell him so.

Further up the street a store selling blown glass and crystal items. The multitude of crystal glassware in the store caused the light to reflect and refract, creating sparkle and rainbows throughout the store. Abby thought it was delightful, and stepped in to browse even though she didn’t really expect to find anything for Tony. He didn’t seem like the sort who would want something so fragile.

Abby grinned as she spotted several shelves of paperweights. Studying them she saw several shaped like football helmets. She nearly clapped her hands in delight when she spotted one that was clearly Ohio State. It didn’t really scream ‘hero’ the way a medal or a plaque might, but it was something she knew Tony would appreciate. Especially when she saw the sign that said the store offered personalized etching and custom lettering upon request. If she bought one, she’d definitely have to get his team number from college and his name added to it.

Abby debated for several minutes. It wasn’t grand enough to convey the immensity of her gratitude, but she wasn’t sure there was anything she could buy which could really do that. But it was perfect for Tony. And it would look great on his desk.

She decided to get it….just in case she couldn’t find anything better. She’d keep looking, because she still wanted perfect, but she didn’t want to be empty handed when she saw Tony on Monday. It was bad enough she’d waited this long.

She carried her prize to the clerk. “I’d like to have this customized.”

“Certainly.” He took out a piece of paper and asked her what she wanted, pen poised to write her request. He told her it would be ready two hours if she wanted to come back then.

“Perfect.” She’d have time to keep looking while they worked on the paperweight. She even picked out colored paper for them to gift wrap it. Initially she’d wanted black, but ultimately decided on silver with red ribbon. It was a close as they had to Ohio State’s team colors.

Abby was glad the paper wasn’t the cheap tissue thin stuff. Tony never chintzed out on anything he got for her. She couldn’t really do any less.

She skipped out of the store, imagining his face as he opened her gift. Monday was going to be a good day. She was sure of it.
****************** ***************** **************
Jenny Shepard grimaced in pain. She’d put off taking her meds for longer today than usual. Whenever possible she tried to delay use of the prescribed medication, hoping to stave off the inevitable decline in the pills’ effectiveness. The doctor told her the pain would only get worse. And as it worsened the painkillers needed to control it would ultimately be so strong as to make it impossible for her to function normally. She was not looking forward to the end.

Jenny considered asking Ducky for a second opinion. Not that she had any genuine doubts as to the accuracy of the diagnosis, but hope springs forth eternal, and she hadn’t come to terms yet with the prognosis. She wasn’t sure how to come to terms with being told she had a terminal illness. Dealing with being told she was dying by inches was harder than she’d expected.

Her doctor had suggested a therapy group to help her cope, but Jenny had politely refused. She hadn’t admitted to wanting or needing anyone to hold her hand in years, she wasn’t about to start now. She didn’t want anyone else to know. Possibly not ever, which was the main reason she hadn’t asked Ducky to do any tests yet. He would honor his Hippocratic Oath, and keep her secret, she was sure of that, but he’d be one more person who knew just how sick she truly was.

She poured herself a glass of bourbon. Her time with Gibbs had definitely given her a taste for a drink that she used to despise. She sipped the harsh liquid, sighing softly. She wondered if any of her preferences had rubbed off on him. She smiled wryly. It was doubtful. The man was a force unto himself.

Her cellphone rang startling her. Jenny flinched, cursing loudly as she struggled to get out of the leather chair. The illness was starting to affect her coordination at odd moments as well. It wasn’t unexpected but still caught her by surprise.

She reached for the phone, gasping as the pain spiked unexpectedly. “Shepard,” she ground out curtly when she flipped her phone open.

There was a pause on the other end. “Is this a bad time, Jenny?”

“No, Tony.” She immediately softened her tone, trying to sound normal. “The phone startled me.” She forced a laugh. “I was bit overly focused on work when it rang.”

“Sorry about that.”

“Not your fault.” She smiled, trying to infuse her voice with warmth. She looked around her desk, seeking her bottle of pills. She was going to have to give in and take the damn things.

“What can I do for you?”

Tony cleared his throat. “I…ah…I wanted to talk to you about taking some time off.”

Jenny frowned, trapping her phone between her ear and her shoulder as she struggled to pry the cap off the pill bottle. He didn’t sound ill. By all accounts, he’d been functional at the scene. Tony hadn’t stopped by the hospital so obviously he hadn’t required any medical attention. There was no reason for him to need any more time off.

“I already gave you several days.” It was far more generous than she’d planned to be, but the team wouldn’t be willing to do much without Gibbs. And he definitely needed time to recover whether he thought so or not.

“I’m going to need more than a few days.”

She blinked. There was steel in his voice. And while she knew he could be as hard as Gibbs when the situation called for it, Jenny hadn’t thought this one of those times. It prompted her to ask, “Tony, are you all right?”

“I’m really not sure.”

She put down the pill bottle, freeing a hand to once more hold the phone. Had she heard him wrong? His answer should have been ‘I’m fine’ because that was what he always said. His being consistently fine was something she’d come to rely on. Nothing fazed him or kept him down for long. It made him reliable, dependable and so damn useful to her when Gibbs was gone, and even after Gibbs was back.

She’d picked him for to infiltrate La Grenouille’s organization through is daughter because she knew he would handle the added work load without complaint, and would follow orders without asking too many questions. McGee would never have been able to handle double duty or keep the operation a secret. Ziva could have, but she was the wrong gender. The profile Jenny had on Jeanne put her firmly in the heterosexual category and she wasn’t the sort to arrange a family meeting for just a good friend. Nor would La Grenouille care much about his daughter’s friends, but her lover…to meet her lover, someone she was serious enough about to consider living with, for that he’d come to the US. So the only way to get close enough La Grenouille was to provide the perfect lover for Jeanne. Jenny thought Tony could sleep with Jeanne and not get attached. His track record certainly implied he could handle doing so. Who knew he had it in him to fall in love? Or be so stupid as to think there was any other way for the relationship to end but badly?

Jenny took a deep breath, releasing it slowly. She needed to focus on the issue at hand. La Grenouille was out of the picture. She’d seen to that personally. But she needed Tony around. A good dog, her father told her, was one that could hunt and still be brought to heel; it paid to keep one when you found it.

“What do you mean you’re not sure, Tony?” How the hell could he not be sure?

“Just what I said.” She didn’t need to see him to know he was standing almost at attention. “I don’t know if I’m all right. And at this point I don’t know what would even define that condition for me.”

Tony sighed deeply. For the first time she could remember he sounded tired…not just physically, but something more. She struggled to find the right term. Her grandmother had used it years ago, and it seemed to be the only thing that fit, ’soul weary’. Jenny hadn’t understood it then, but she had a feeling the way Tony sounded now was exactly what the old woman had been trying to describe.

“I’ve been working 24/7, Jenny, for more than a year. I need a break.”

It was a statement of fact. He wasn’t asking for sympathy or understanding. But she wanted to snarl at him just the same. She wanted to yell at him to suck it up and be a man. She’d been working for longer than that to see her father avenged, knowing her time was running short. Jenny held on to her temper, refusing to give into the desire to rant and rave at him, waiting for him to say more.

“I talked to some…friends.” His hesitation was so minor it was almost non existent. She noticed the pause, but before she could really give it much thought Tony continued speaking. “I’ve weighed my choices…and I think a leave of absence is my best option.”

A leave of absence could be anywhere from six weeks to six months. No way in hell was she going to agree to that. She glared at the wall, wishing she could turn the same hard stare on Tony. She wasn’t going to just give him months to get his head out of his ass like she had Gibbs.

She bit back an annoyed growl. He talked to some ‘friends’? What friends was he referring to? It couldn’t have been anyone on the team.

Gibbs wouldn’t be sympathetic, and he wasn’t the sort Tony would confide in when it came to any uncertainty. Jenny knew first hand that the man simply had no tolerance for doubts or anything less than decisive action. Tony might talk to Ziva, but Jenny knew most efforts at a heart to heart conversation between them ended badly. They clearly didn’t understand one another; Ziva pushed too hard and wouldn’t tolerate him pushing back. That lack of equality alone all but guaranteed a failure to find common ground.

Not to mention that for both Gibbs and Ziva anything less than a life threatening injury was the same as being ready for action. Emotions got checked at the door and never, ever, got in the way of doing the job. They were both cold blooded that way. Tony wouldn’t want to look weak in front of them by revealing any doubts or fears.

McGee was still regarded as a Probie. Tony wouldn’t go to him for advice. Abby and Ducky were possibilities, but Jenny doubted Tony spoke to them either. She knew he felt he had to look strong for them, to be like Gibbs in their eyes. He wouldn’t admit any weakness to them either.

He didn’t speak to his father. His mother was dead. And the current paperwork in his file didn’t list anyone he was close to. That left who? His frat brothers and drinking buddies? She rolled her eyes. Like a bunch of jocks he might see once a year to reminisce about the good old days could possibly give him anything even vaguely resembling valuable advice. She was tempted to ask if he was drunk, ironically ignoring the stiff drink she’d put down only a moment ago. Since the diagnosis, she’d been drinking more and more heavily each night.

“Are you sure your friends,” she couldn’t help the derisive emphasis she placed on the word, “have your best interest in mind?”

“Yes, they do.” His tone had gone stiff and formal, holding no warmth.

Recognizing she’d conveyed more than she wanted to, Jenny backpedaled. Pissing him off could be bad. He didn’t show it often, but he had a temper and there was a hard core in him. Tony might not be as rigid as Gibbs, but he could be just as unbendable when he chose to be.

“Tony, you love the job.” She tried to sound caring, like she could be trusted to have his well being at heart. “Are you sure a leave of absence is really what you want? You will go crazy sitting around your apartment with nothing to do.”

She’d used his faith in her position as Director to convince him to keep quiet about La Grenouille and Jeanne until it was impossible not to. She’d managed to convince him lying to Gibbs was a good idea. She could use his trust again to create the illusion she actually cared about him. She needed him on Gibbs team, doing his job and keeping her in the loop with what was going on, giving her someone in her corner. Gibbs kept trying to shut her out and that was unacceptable.

“Jenny---“

“NCIS is your life.” She kept her voice encouraging, cutting him off. She could convince him to see things her way. She was sure of that. “You don’t want to be left out of the action.”

She was oddly grateful Gibbs had been so stupid as to simply walk out, running off to Mexico to lick his wounds. Tony never would have shifted loyalties if he hadn’t been deserted so abruptly, left to fend for himself and look after a team he felt inadequate to be in charge of. Until then, Tony hadn’t even liked her. But with the door open, Jenny had seen the golden opportunity for what it was---a chance to capitalize on Tony’s feelings of abandonment, the need for someone to show faith in abilities, to give him direction. He never called her ‘boss’, but he followed her lead like a good agent was supposed to, and that was all that mattered.

When Gibbs’ returned, she’d known he was going to be an ass about taking back his place, his desk, his team. It was the man’s nature. She couldn’t have stopped him, and she didn’t want to. She knew it would work in her favor in the long run, driving another wedge between Tony and Gibbs.

She dangled the job in Spain, testing Tony’s commitment. And he passed with flying colors---just like she thought he would. Oh he might have claimed to stay because Gibbs needed him, but she knew it was really more his insecurity about being team leader and the case that kept him in D.C. He was the only one who didn’t think he was ready to lead his own team, but she’d been quick to reassure him that he’d made the right choice. The lie had come easily to her; telling him taking his time on the career track was better than rushing up the ladder. She’d also made sure to immerse him more deeply in the hunt for La Grenouille, keeping him focused. She didn’t want him to have time to go back to being Gibbs’ lap dog or think about why no one else on the team was involved in the case.

Fortunately, the rest of the team seemed to be doing things to keep him loyal to her. They couldn’t refrain from repeatedly pointing out what they perceived of as his shortcomings as a leader. He really had done an excellent job, but the fact that they refused to see it definitely played well for Jenny.

Tony continued to have excellent insights and observations that were routinely dismissed or that the others felt the need to constantly upstage. Jenny knew Gibbs liked to foster rivalry on his team, but even she expected him to intervene. When he didn’t, she used those moments to subtly bolster Tony’s ego, letting him know how much she appreciated his good work.

“I know it’s been rough…and I’m grateful you’ve stuck it out.” She was grateful. She’d have never had the chance to finally finish off Rene Benoit and do what need to be done if Tony hadn’t played his role so well.

“I can appreciate that you’re tired, but things are getting better.”

That was an outright lie, and she knew it, because nothing had changed. Finding out about Tony’s undercover operation had made the team even more catty about things. They didn’t seem inclined to be very forgiving or understanding. They seemed to have forgotten their own silence with regard to their secrets. That hypocrisy was one more thing she thought might work in her favor. If she could turn it to her advantage.

“Tony•“

“Director, I want the time off.” The statement was quiet, uncompromising. The use of her title was a clear indication of his distancing himself from her. Not using her first name was deliberate. “I will be taking it.”

“Excuse me?” Her back stiffened.

“I will be taking the time one way or another.”

“Meaning what?” She didn’t appreciate his tone. She was in charge. His taking time was her decision, not his.

“You either give me the time off or I quit.”

She sneered. He was bluffing. “You won’t quit.”

“You know, so many people said it, I didn’t think it possible anyone could forget it.”

Jenny frowned, not following what he was saying. Said what? Forget what?

“I’m not Gibbs.” She could envision the tight, bitter smile he was likely sporting. “I don’t do Semper Fi. And I’ve got more in my life than some fucking boat in the basement or a run down shack on the beach in Mexico.”

She didn’t think that was true, but elected not to say so. Instead she argued, “You never worked anywhere as long as you have at NCIS.”

“True.” Tony’s chuckle was warm and lighthearted. “I used to be good at leaving. I could be again. And really…Director, telling me I’ve stayed so long, is just one more argument that it is high time I left.”

She cursed silently. Jenny reached for the card that he claimed kept him from taking the position in Spain. “Gibbs needs•“

“Bullshit.” Tony interrupted his voice hard and cold. “He doesn’t need me. And probably never did. And I sure as hell don’t need any more shit from you, them or NCIS in general. Forget my asking you for time off. I won’t be needing permission for that. You’ll have my resignation Monday morning.”

“Tony, wait•“

The connection terminated before she could say any more. She threw her phone against the wall, furious at having misread him and the situation so badly. God damn it. Monday was not going to be a good day.