- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The title says it all.
“First class?” DiNozzo asked Jason mildly as they boarded the plane.
“My department wanted me to take the job quite a lot.” He replied with a slight smile. “I secured your tickets separately.” He walked ahead to fall in beside McGee " carrying a laptop, several phones and a small briefcase. He smiled. “And how are you going techno-boy?” You could still see the worry but he was at least making an effort to return to his usual, bouncy self. He was much like his sister in that way.
“Uh oh, I’m fine.” He said quickly, then smiled ruefully as Jason took the briefcase. “Thanks.”
“You’re wel-come.” He said in a singsong voice.

Once all of them had taken their seats " Ziva beside Tony, Jason beside McGee and Gibbs with Ducky " the plane began winding up.

“Jethro, I’m sure Abigail will be fine,” Ducky said quietly to his long-time friend. “She’s… she’s such a character in this story of life.”
Gibbs nodded curtly, his hands clenched around the armrests until his knuckles turned white. “If there’s anything I can do about it,” He said quietly, “This jack-ass isn’t getting off lightly.”
Ducky fell silent, sitting back in the comfortable chairs and fixing his gaze on the ceiling. He was as worried for Abigail as he was Gibbs " he knew the man was getting to tight a hold on those he was close to. And something always happened… He sighed softly as the plane began to take off.

Next row back, McGee lay back in the chair, eyes closed tight, stomach rolling sickeningly as the plane began to move down the runway. Worry mixed with height was not a good combination he’d found out. He hoped he wouldn’t be sick in front of Jason or Tony, or Gibbs… Ziva and Ducky he didn’t mind so much. Oh god, he was going to be…
He slumped forward, putting his head between his knees, retching dryly.
Jason looked at him, then rather awkwardly patted his back. “Are you okay?” He asked, shifting his feet a little so his expensive shoes wouldn’t be in the way.
McGee shook his head but didn’t speak.

Ziva and Tony, meanwhile, were reminiscing They needed something to talk about to take their mind off it… and both of them found that release in the graphic and well-remembered " in parts " past jobs they’d done. It was their loneliness, their shared loss, which had them getting on thus far. Narry a name-calling. After a moment, Ziva whispered, “Tony… That night… at the party "“
Tony paled. Every man’s worst nightmare " after sleeping with one’s co-worker, the last thing anyone would want was to be confronted about it. Especially… He looked at her. “Look, Ziva.” He said gently. “What happened was a mistake. I was drunk, you were drunk… I don’t really have any emotions beyond " I mean, you know, friendship obviously…” he was flailing awkwardly for words as she interrupted.
“Tony. That’s not what this is about.” For one of the first times she looked as nervous as he did. The seatbelt signs turned off with a small ding as the plane stopped ascending so steeply, and the pair glanced at the sign before back at each other.
“Tony… I’m pregnant.”

There was a split second of dead silence. It felt as if the whole plane had shut up at that comment to both Tony and Ziva. Then Tony was saved by the sound of a huge report " the sound of a gunshot.

An expression of pure shock slowly dissolved into pain, and McGee cried out, clutching his shoulder with a gasp, hands going to the place he usually carried his gun. When he didn’t find it he actually was sick, throwing up weakly over the side of the seat.

There was immediate pandemonium " screaming, running, yelling. Gibbs was one of the first on his feet, his hands also immediately going to his empty holster. Jason was a close second, jumping up and grabbing his own gun " the only one of the group allowed to carry it. He had it up bare moments after he’d stood " and was rewarded by a blossom of blood gathering on his white shirt.
God damn… this is Armani!
He looked around, ignoring the blood which dripped on the expensive leather upholstery and his expensive pants as he looked for the gun wielder " and spotted him.

The man winked and slammed open the escape door, taking off his jacket and jumping out of the plane.
Gibbs and Jason both raced over and, holding tightly to the sides of the door, looked out. Then Jason swore loudly and reached out to get a hold of the handle. And strained to close it. It was surprisingly easy " the direction of the plane made the air rushing backward slam it closed. Jason swore loudly again, then walked back to his chair and hesitated " then, wincing tat the loss of such a good shirt " he pulled it over his head, gritting his teeth as it brushed across his bullet wound. He was beginning to feel dizzy, but he ignored it as he began tearing his shirt apart, pushing a wad of the material against McGee’s arm. Once he’d taken over, Jason wrapped a piece around his forearm and flexed his muscles " when his head reeled he decided that may not have been a good idea.
“Gibbs?”
Gibbs looked over from where he was interrogation " already " the staff " and saw Tim. He walked over immediately, reaching out to put a hand on McGee’s other shoulder. “Are you aright?” He asked gruffly, but worriedly.
Everything was going wrong.
-x-
The rest of the flight passed pretty well, despite the blood and the pain and the screams and the endless questions… the second they were off Jason was on the phone to the local ambulance service. Three minutes later there was an ambulance and two taxis out the front, and Jason gestured for them to take one of the cabs. “I’ll go with McGee, I should get this checked out.” He said. “Go straight to Westside. That’s where I’ll tell the ambos to take us too.” He nodded then, before they could argue, whistled to get the paramedics attention.
“Good luck,” Ziva called. “Break an arm.”
“Leg.”
“What?”
“Never mind.”

At the hospital McGee was fussed over, but Jason had had enough experience to ask for a certain doctor by the name of Leon Newman who was used to seeing such things. Fussing nurses made him sick " unless they were hot. In which case he was more then happy to play it up a bit.
Back to the point.
McGee was in quite a bit of pain, and the doctor was worried about the muscle. Until they got a scan of some sort, neither of them were allowed to leave…
Jason figured that visiting his sister two floors down and eight wards across was hardly leaving. After all he was in the same building and they hadn’t specified which room he was to stay in. But he’d do it at night. Just in case.
he lay in the bed beside McGee’s, staring at the ceiling. McGee was awake he could tell from the sound of his breath…
In…. out….
It calmed him, he realised. The sound was a comforting one. He wasn’t sure why, but somehow…
In… out….
He sat up and got out of the bed, wincing as the bandage sling scratched his neck. “Hey, McGee "“
“You can call me Tim you know.” He said quietly.
Jason tilted his head to one side, then smiled and walked over, taking a seat beside the bed. “Tim.” He said quietly. Then he fell silent, leaning back in the chair. “I’d apologise for what happened today… but I can guess you’d wave it off. And I know it’s not my fault. I just… I still feel guilty, you know?”
As McGee " Tim, he corrected himself " nodded, he relaxed a little.
“I understand what you’re saying.” He smiled. “Don’t forget you got shot too.”
Jason chuckled. “That I did.” He murmured. Then he looked up as someone walked into the room " and swore softly. “Hey Tim " please don’t take this personally.”
“Take what-“ He broke off as he noticed the man. “Isn’t that…”
“He said no more before Jason had leant forward and kissed him full on the lips, to the point of making out with him.

Don’t take it personally? McGee thought, shock replaced by relaxed ecstasy. He’d always wondered why there were precious few women he’d been interested in, why he appreciated what men looked like much more then Ziva’s new shoes…
I’m screwed.
Chapter End Notes:
I'm not sure if I'm going to develop on this particular part yet.