- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ziva and Tony have a new secret.
“Meanwhile, high above the streets of Gotham…”
“Tony, is now really the appropriate time?”
“When is it not the appropriate time to quote a movie for Tony, Ziva?”
“Good point.”

The four of them " Ziva, Tony, Gibbs and Ducky " were crammed into the reception area of the hospital with maybe thirty other people. Ziva was squashed uncomfortably between the perfectly at home Ducky and another patient who kept shifting in his seat. A suspicious smell surrounded the man, and she tried to ignore it. Gibbs looked the most impatient of the lot surprisingly. He glared at the nurse he’d just spoken to " who’d just informed him visiting hours were over. Hence the quote " the look on Gibbs’ face said it all.
“Perhaps we should find a hotel. Somewhere to stay. Ducky suggested. “If we’re not going to see Abigail or Tim " or Jason for that matter " then we may as well get some rest Jethro.”
Gibbs glanced at him, then sighed and nodded. “Come on then.” He said wearily, standing and walking outside into the warm summer night air. It was such a change from America. The whole place was incredible " it was hot, there were flies, and it was almost dark. He shook his head and tried to hail a taxi " and frowned as it just drove by.
“Ahem.” Iva said quietly, then pointed to a taxi waiting in a parking bay. “I think that they are not called off the street here.”
Ducky walked over and opened the door, getting in. Gibbs took the front seat before either Ziva or Tony called shotgun, so they got in the back too.
“Closest cheap hotel.” Gibbs said quietly.
-x-

Ziva lay on the floor of the hotel room, Tony having taken the bed in a typical sort of gesture. She didn’t mind though. Not really. After all, she was used to it.
“Tony…? Are you awake?”
“Ah, the stupidity of that question " coming from you Ziva? If I were asleep I wouldn’t be able to answer, and awake I’d have answered to Tony, wouldn’t I?”
“Yes but the longer the sentence the more likely you are to wake up " look, never mind.” She sighed softly. “I " I’m sorry. For on the plane… I’ve been trying to tell you for such a long time. All month in fact. I thought I’d hit the bird on the head and tell you when you’d definitely be listening, and when you’d have to talk to me about it. It didn’t turn out that way though I suppose.”
Tony turned on his side to look at her for a moment, then shifted over a bit and held out his arms for a hug, his eyes dark and unreadable. It was his way of saying he was sorry… that he knew he’s screwed up.
She met his gaze, then smiled and stood, going over to the other side of the room and lying beside him, snuggling into his embrace. “Tony…”
“Ziva…” He replied softly. “Shh. I don’t " I’m not… I mean…” He smiled slightly and reached out, brushing aside a strand of hair which had fallen over her face. “You’re so beautiful.” He whispered on impulse, eyes meeting hers.
Suddenly they were kissing. He wasn’t sure who’d started it, and by the time he’d realised he didn’t care. Emotions began to stir inside him, those emotions he’d ignored for so long…
Maybe one of them was love?
The night passed in a tangle of sheets and the catch of breath, the quite moans which they both tried to suppress so as to not wake their neighbours. It was rough and there were more then a few lasting marks to be had from the encounter… but it was what they both needed.
“I’m going to be a father.” Tony whispered.
Finally… Ziva knew she was coping with her emotions. And that made her feel awful, once she lay beside a sleeping " supposedly sleeping " Tony, gathering her breath and her thoughts… she’d used him.
But had she? She genuinely felt for him…
I used him.
Ziva got out of bed and slipped out the door, leaving the hotel and walking to the cluster of bright neon shops which she’d noticed on the way in. She stopped out the front of the chemist, cars rushing by her as she stared at the twenty-four hour sigh. Then she squared her shoulders and walked inside to the front desk, sliding a few notes she’d begged of Jason onto the desk. She soon had another pregnancy test in her hand and she returned to the hotel with the small box clutched tightly in her hands.

The double blue line stared her in the face, and she remained silent as she started right back. She sat on the toilet with the lid down. She’s snuck back into the room and straight to the bathroom…
Positive.
It hadn’t changed since the last four times she’d tried.
She sighed and threw it in the bin, then reconsidered and picked it up and glanced around for something else to put it in. She didn’t want Tony to see it… she wasn’t sure why. But it was important.

Soon she had returned to the bed beside him, lying awake for quite some time.
I used him.
She closed her eyes, and soon fell asleep, haunted by horrible dreams in which she woke up over and over… and Tony wasn’t there.