- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
We-ell... this is where it all goes down. Betrayal of sorts... I guess... ex-betrayel would be better. XP And of course a bit of sadness and rage thrown in for good measure.
It was a week later and McGee was beside Abby, watching her sleep silently. He’d been incredibly quiet since they’d found out about her memory loss " and he hadn’t had the chance to speak to Jason, the one he knew would understand the best, since he’d thrown himself into the case. Finding the man who’d hurt his sister was all that mattered at the moment.
McGee sighed softly, then smiled as Abby opened her eyes. “Hey.” He said softly. “Sleep well?”
She yawned. “Of course Timmy. I dunno why I’m here. I’m fine.”
He looked at her for a second, then, unable to hold in the feeling any more he leant forward and kissed her.

Shock took over her body. He could tell even as her mouth clamped around his, but he didn’t care, This was something he needed, had needed for a long time " and something he needed her to know. He still loved her far more then he should after…
He gently pulled his lips away from hers, eyes soft and sad. “Morning Abby.” He whispered.
Her eyes were fixed on his, dark and scared. “Timmy,” She whispered.
“I’m sorry,” he said softly " then a feeling of guilt and horror welled inside him as she burst into tears. He didn’t know what to do " what man did in the face of a woman who began crying when they had kissed them. He awkwardly took her in his arms, holding her tightly.
“T-Tim,” she sobbed. ‘Wh " why am I having these horrible dreams?”
She wasn’t crying because he’d kissed her then, he thought in relief. Then he wilted again at her words. “What dreams?” He asked softly, not sure he wanted to know the answer.
“He was hurting me,” She sobbed. “And no one could help me.. I was all alone… Jason, and " and you, and Gibbs…”
“Shh,” He calmed her gently, rubbing her back and letting her hide her face in his shirt. “It’s okay Abby.” He whispered. “You’re safe now.”

-x-

An hour or so later, he concluded she’d remembered everything when he’d kissed her, and was talking to her reassuringly a she alternately panicked, cried and fell silent. That one was the worst. She just sat and stared at nothing while he kept her in his embrace firmly, letting her know that he was here, and wasn’t leaving her.
The hospital lights made her green eyes look glassy, and they’d lost their usual sparkle. Darkness was creeping over the sky outside leaving it in shades of blood that made her want to cry again. Why red? Everything looked red in her eyes now. The light was tainting everything. Even Tim’s face was hidden in the haze of blood, blood, blood. And pain… oh god, she needed someone there. She could no longer feel him holding her tightly, and all she longed for was for it all to end, for something - anything! " to happen.. To stop this horrible invasion of her mind.
Everything was red…

She woke up as the first welt appeared on her skin, and heard herself scream in pain and fear. Her vision faded altogether, everything was black except his face, his maniac, grinning, wild and horrible face as he pressed it into her again on her arm, then in a fit of genius on her stomach. Her scream made his insane smile widen, his eyes wide, cold and ruthless and he stabbed her with the hot iron, gashing her arm. Possibly severing a ligament. She couldn’t feel it any more. Shock was beginning to set in as he worked at her, knife and burn, working to cause as much pain to her physical form as he could, destroying her flesh, her being.
Hurting her was all he wanted to do. Nothing else would ever sate him, it was his high and would remain so until the day she died. She deserved every bit of it! She’d broken Alex’s heart! And now… all the pain she had caused then, all the pain his other self had caused them both, she was going to pay. Tenfold if he could. And he wasn’t going to kill her… not yet. She could never feel the pain if she didn’t live.
Finally he finished, panting, ignoring the smell of singed flesh and the sight of the blood. She had passed out he assumed, and now all he could do was watch and wait, bide his time and wait for the next time when he could hunt her down like the beast she was, and finish the job. As one last token of his presence he lay the iron which he’d put back in the fire after he’d drawn his knife across the tattoo she’d gotten for Alex.
“Let that be a lesson,” He smirked, making his escape. There was just one more person now to find…

McGee still had her in his Arms as Jason and DiNozzo got there in order to pick him up. They went over and sat down on either side of the bed, DiNozzo watching with a small smile on his face and Jason absolutely unreadable. Finally McGee looked at them. “She remembers,” He mouthed. Jason didn’t respond, not sure wether or not to be relived or if he was going to cry that she would know about such a traumatic experience. DiNozzo smiled a little and stood to kiss her cheek. “Hey Abby.” he said softly. “At least now you remember that tattoo you we got.” He tugged up his sleeve a little, revealing a small rose he’d had done on the underside of his arm under his shirt line so it was virtually invisible. She’d finally convinced him, despite his stubborn hatred of needle-art, to get one with her.
She didn’t respond, staring blankly at the wall, Then, maybe thirty seconds late, she blinked and looked at him, smiling. “I remember.” She said softly, looking down at her arm, bared by the hospital-issue gown. The rose there was identical to DiNozzo’s. “It took so long to convince you…”
“How… how did you remember?” Jason asked her softly.
“Well-“ she began cheerfully, ignoring Tim’s blush. “Basically… Timmy kissed me and I remembered everything. It was a bit surprising after all.” She grinned. “And not half bad.”
Jason blinked.
DiNozzo did the same.
Then Abby started laughing, and McGee soon followed suit. “I love you guys.” She said through her giggles.
“Visiting hours are over,” A good natured nurse told them from the door. “I’m sorry, but I’ll have to ask you to leave.”
Jason and DiNozzo nodded, and McGee reluctantly disentangled himself from Abby’s embrace. “We’ll see you first thing tomorrow.” He promised with a brisk nod, then blushed again as she kissed him again. Jason respectfully looked away, though DiNozzo watched in interest. Then they finally left, leaving Abby lying in bed staring at the ceiling.

“I WANT TO KNOW WHO DID IT!” Jason roared, scaring his own team into life. He scowled as they darted around to phones and filing cabinets, computers and other agents to get the appropriate permission etcetera to do the proposed job.
“Do we have any leads?” He barked at the man who stood nearly, looking nervous at being so close to him when he was in that sort of mood. “Y-yes boss,” He said, sounding just like McGee when he was in trouble " even with the barest hint of a stutter. “We found hair at the scene, we missed it the first time. We pulled a partial print too.”
“AND?”
He shrank back. “Uh, we’re running the print now, and the hair is bleach blonde and male, but there was another one on the floor which either placed another person " a red-head woman " at the scene, or in direct contact with the attacker.
“Print matches!” Someone called.
“Abby’s ex boyfriend.” Jason hissed. “I don’t believe it. She has some dumb fucking luck, I tell you that.”
Gibbs stood up and began pacing. Where the hell were Ziva, Tony and McGee? He wished Abby were on the case, and that he didn’t have such a headache, that Ducky didn’t keep questioning the M.E. and that Jason would stop yelling. But from hat he knew, wishes never came true.
“Gibbs,” Ducky said, voice oddly strangled.
“Yes, Ducky?” He asked, voice gravely.
“What was the name of you ex wife?”
“Is now a time for questions like that, Duck?”
Ducky looked up at him. “I think so, Jethro.” He said grimly. On the screen was a flashing text - DNA DATA BANK MATCH. Behind that was a picture of a middle aged red-haired woman. Streaks of grey touched her hair, and her forest-green eyes were dark and sparkled with mischief. She was wearing a naval marine’s uniform.
“Abigail?” Gibbs asked, eyes dark.
“Apparently DNA data banks in Australia are used in things like maximum security prisons as well as fingerprints. The hair… it matches hers, Jethro.”
“Are you sure?”
He nodded. “99.9% accurate match.”
“Damn,” He whispered. “My ex wife is wanted for attempted murder.”
“And murder. Multiple counts.” Jason said tiredly, having seen the screen. “She’s one of our most notorious serial killers.”
Ducky looked at Gibbs. “I told you she was bad news.” He said. “Though I didn’t suspect she was this bad.”
“Neither did I, Duck, neither did I.”

-x-

“This a bad time?” Tony asked, walking in and seeing everyone in fervent activity besides a scowling Jason and Gibbs " scarily similar expressions on their faces " and Ducky, looking- now here was the scariest part " grumpy himself. Ducky did not get grumpy, Tony thought worriedly. Was the sun falling from the sky? Had some M.E. screwed up an autopsy?
“No.” Gibbs said quietly, voice starkly contrasting his expression. He sounded almost vulnerable… now Tony was really, really scared.
“Boss?”
“NO!” Gibbs shouted, in a roar more fearsome even then Jason’s. “Anthony DiNozzo, get your ass over here and get to work.”
Without prompting, McGee and Ziva both followed a stunned and saddened DiNozzo over to the three desks Jason had cleared for them, joining the frenzy.

-x-

On the other side of the country, a day later, was someone else having temper problems.
“Why didn’t you KILL her?” She screamed, slashing the man’s face with her red-painted nails, a bloody trail left behind on his skin. He stared at her, not even flinching. He was devout and loyal " he would never complain, never show any sign of weakness. Not until she came to Abby.
“You should have DROWNED that BITCH in her own BLOOD!” She slammed one stiletto-heeled foot into the aluminium wall, leaving a visible dent before breaking off to swear in pain. Again, anger had gotten the better of her. She stood panting, eyes fixed on the wall above Jesse’s head. Finally she lowered her gaze to his, as haughty and beautiful as she’d always been, as high and untouchable as any woman could get. She stalked over to the other side of the room, picking up a small block of some form of explosive, holding it to the light. She pursed her lips, then turned to look at him, waving the white block impishly.
“Oh, darling?”
A young man looked up at her from his place in the corner " his face was hidden in shadow. “Yes, love?”
“I have a plan.”

“A plan?” Jason echoed dimly.
“Yep.” DiNozzo said brightly.
“He does that.” McGee chipped in.
“Well, too.” Ziva said with a grin. Since everyone was staring at Jason she took the opportunity to reach behind Tony and lightly rub her hand on his back. She felt his shiver as she slipped her hand under his shirt and lightly ran her fingertips down across his bare skin. She quickly withdrew her hand when Gibbs sighed. It was a sign he’d be about to pay attention.
“Look.” He said, ice blue eyes travelling across everyone’s faces sharply. “I know how much you all want to help, but it’s going to be my team.”
“What about me?” Jason asked angrily. “She’s my sister!”
“I know.” Gibbs said, his eyes fixing on the young man before him. “Which is why I don’t want you to do it. You’d be too rash. And this isn’t just about your sister anymore, this woman is a killer. Jason, don’t argue. I want you here, and I want you to work on the case here. Of course you’ll be our first backup and emergency contact, even listen in on mikes if you want us to carry them.”
Jason hesitated before reluctantly nodding. “Okay.” He said softly. He saw the logic behind his words, but it didn’t stop him resenting the fact he had been pushed away. Finally he said, “We’d better get back to work then. Our lab team will have something soon.”
“Why don’t they have it now?” Gibbs asked, frowning at the inadequate speed.
“It wasn’t murder until now,” Jason reminded him. “Only assault. They had more significant cases to deal with, no matter that Abby is related to me. We’re pretty backed up at the moment.”
Gibbs nodded slightly, then looked at McGee. “I don’t suppose you-“ he swept his gaze to include DiNozzo and Ziva “-were clever enough to ask Abby what exactly had happened?”
McGee shook his head immediately. “I was worried she’d relapse, or get upset.”
“Damn it McGee! She’s not going to be comfortable with it for the rest of her life! I want you to talk to her first thing tomorrow. Then you can spend the rest of the time comforting her.”
“She gets out in two days.” Jason said softly. “She’ll be able to help out with-“
He was cut off by the sound of a ring-tone lending life a backing-track. Bizet’s Toreador Song played in the electric beeping music which had always set his teeth on edge.
“Yeah?” Gibbs answered " then his eyebrows lowered into a scowl. That expression soon changed to one of surprise, then worry. “Alright.” He said quietly, hanging up. He looked at his team and Jason. “We have a second victim.” He said quietly. “Let me rephrase " second confirmed victim. The man is deceased.”
“John Doe?” Jason and McGee asked at the same time.
“No.” Gibbs said grimly. “John DiNozzo.”
Chapter End Notes:
Beware DiNozzo-happys.