- Text Size +
Story Notes:
It's taken me quite a while I know, and I know I've re-vamped this more than once already; but I finally decided that I wanted to go with simplicity versus complication, instead of vice-versa as I was originally engaged in doing. Hope you guys Enjoy!!!! Comments, Feedback, and Suggestions are all more than welcome! Caio!
Author's Chapter Notes:
Abby, who is dealing with being without Gibbs, gets a surprise visitor. Takes place after Hiatus Pts. 1 & 2; also after Gibbs helps Ziva and Fornell.
------------"Like A Thief In The Night"------------
Story by R. O. Knight
Based on the hit television series "NCIS"
Created by Donald P. Bellisario

Abby had found, since Gibbs' departure for Mexico, her only solace in telling herself over and over that "He would come back, he just...would".

"He just had too" she thought to herself as a lone tear rolled down her cheek.

Abby sat curled up under a blanket on Gibbs' living room sofa watching television in the dark. She had also been staying at Gibbs' house for quite sometime--she didn't always, but when she felt depressed or sad she needed to be near Gibbs. And this was as close as she could get to her 'silver-haired fox'.

It had been a long 10 months, and it just seemed to get longer as the days passed, and without Gibbs around it just felt like--like a piece of herself was missing.

And these last few days at NCIS had been especially rough. The team had spent the better part of the last week chasing a serial killer, and everybody was nearly at their wits-end before they finally caught the guy.

That's what brought Abby here to Gibbs' house tonight. She needed to feel safe and comforted like the way she always did with Gibbs. Lucky for her she still had a key to his house.

She had held on to the key Gibbs had given her during the whole fiasco with her ex-boyfriend-turned-stalker Michael and now usually wore it on a chain around her neck. She had found it to be quite useful in the last 10 months since Gibbs' left. Although, she had had to paint it, with black and yellow nail polish, to look like a 'black cat' and insisted that it was to her new boyfriends' house to avoid suspicion from Tony and the team. It was all worth it.

Now sitting there on Gibbs' sofa, her hair down, Abby tried to imagine Gibbs walking through the back door. She wouldn't hear him come in of course, because Gibbs was sneaky like that--but he would come in.

She imagined that he would sneak up behind her in the living room and gently put his arms around her shoulders--leaning over the edge of the sofa--and then he would place a gentle kiss on top of her head. And in that soft, soothing voice that he only used with her he would say "I love you Abby Scuito".

"And I'll never leave you again," he would whisper into her ear. And Marines, she knew, always kept their promises.

"I love you too, Jethro Gibbs" she whispered to the otherwise empty house, as she wiped a few tears from her eyes with a tissue from the box on the coffee table in front of her.

Abby never cried...ever! Okay, almost never. She would admit that she cried when Kate died after being shot by Ari, but those were special circumstances and Kate had been her best friend.

She had also found that the tears came more easily after Gibbs left, but again these were special circumstances, what she and Gibbs had was special--and very important to her.

She tossed the used tissue onto the coffee table in front of her, and then straightened the small pillow that she had been leaning against determined to not let any negative thoughts enter her mind--only positive thoughts were allowed.

She raised the TV remote up to her face searching for the volume button. Her eyes finally landed on the arrow-shaped button, and with a few clicks had the volume back to an audible level.

"I miss you Gibbs," she whispered as she shifted into a more comfortable position, once again settled back into her movie "Night of the Living Dead".

-------------------------------

Knock! Knock! Knock!

The sudden noise awakened Abby who, after looking around a moment, realized that she had fallen asleep.

"What time is it?" she thought, her mind racing frantically, as she leaped up from the sofa

She made her way from the living room, down the hall, right into Gibbs' bedroom where she found his alarm clock on the bedside table.

"11:55," she said aloud. "Gosh, that means I've been asleep for almost three hours".

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Oh!" She jumped at the loud rapping noise that echoed through the house. "Who could that be?" she wondered as she placed the alarm clock back on the bedside table.

Abby paused a moment giving her heart time to quit racing before she continued.

"And what could they want at this hour?" she wondered aloud, but then a horrifying thought crossed her mind. "Oh no, what if that was Tony or Ziva?" she panicked. "What if they had discovered the truth?" Abby let out a short groan at the thought that she might have been found out.

She didn't really think she had to worry about McGee figuring it out--not really anyway. He was great guy and all, but sometimes a little slow on the uptake when it came to matters such as this.

Abby suddenly became aware that outside it was raining, and rather heavily at that. She had really missed a lot in just three hours.

She grabbed a light, black sweater off of the edge of the bed as she slowly made her way out of the bedroom back towards the front of the house.

Knock! knock! Knock!

"I'm coming, I'm coming", more to herself than to whoever was at the front door, as she rubbed her weary eyes.

She pulled the sweater over her black tank, which she wore with a pair of red pajama bottoms, as she approached the front door.

She paused a moment to collect herself before she began turning the locks into their 'open' positions.

She pulled the heavy door open slowly, expecting to find herself face to face with Tony, or at the very least--Ziva.

But the man that was standing directly in front of her was rain-soaked from head to toe, with blood-shot eyes, sported a full raggedy beard, and wore somewhat raggedy clothes.

Her eyes became, almost instantly, moist with the same tears that she been battling for almost year. "Gibbs," she croaked her voice suddenly going hoarse and for a moment failing her completely.

...To Be Continued in "Reconciliation"...
Chapter End Notes:
It's taken me quite a while I know, and I know I've re-vamped this more than once already; but I finally decided that I wanted to go with simplicity versus complication, instead of vice-versa as I was originally engaged in doing. Hope you guys Enjoy!!!! Comments, Feedback, and Suggestions are all more than welcome! Caio!