- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Abby have been given some leave time so that they can spend some time together with their newborn daughter, Chloe.
------------"Shore Leave"------------
Story by R. O. Knight
based on the hit television series "NCIS"
Created by Donald P. Bellisario

Jenny had granted Gibbs and Abby some leave time so that they could spend time together with their infant daughter, Chloe. The first 3 nights after they had brought her home from the hospital had been the roughest, but somehow they got through it intact.

It had been nearly a week since they had brought baby Chloe home from the hospital, and Saturday morning was as beautiful a day as any to spend at home with their infant daughter.

When Abby awoke it was close to 8:30 in the morning. She sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes, and then she stretched. It was at that time that she realized that Gibbs wasn't in bed.

She found her fuzzy bat slippers next to the bed on her side, and slid her feet into them. She rose from the bed and walked toward the door. "I guess I'll check on Chloe...Gibbs is probably in the kitchen, or he could be in the basement working on his boat." Abby thought to herself.

---------------------------------------

She made her way down the hall and into the nursery where she found Gibbs. Gibbs sat in the rocking chair holding Chloe, and he rocked her back and forth, gently.

Abby watched from the doorway with a warm smile on her face, and listened to the sound of Gibbs singing quietly and softly to the baby.

"Hush little baby don't say a word
daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird,
and if that mockingbird don't sing
daddy's gonna buy you a house by the sea;
and if that house goes up in smoke
daddy's gonna buy you a brand new boat,
and if that boat turns up and sinks
daddy's gonna buy you a diamond ring..."

Abby watched in amazement as little baby Chloe gave a tiny yawn in her father's arms.

"...and if that rocking chair don't rock
daddy's gonna buy you a puppy dog,
and if that puppy dog don't bark
daddy's gonna buy you a shining star;
and if that shining star falls down
you'll still be the sweetest little baby in town."

Gibbs finished his little lullaby and that's when he noticed Abby standing in the doorway of the nursery.

"How long have you been standing there?" Gibbs asked quietly.

Abby tilted her head a bit, and smiled at Gibbs.

"Long enough to hear you sing." Abby replied softly.

"She started crying while I was in the bathroom, and I didn't want to wake you...I wanted you to get some sleep...so I came and got her." Gibbs informed her quietly.

Abby stared at the sleeping baby in her lover's arms and smiled.

"Thanks." she replied softly. "But I'm awake now."

Gibbs stood and gently laid little baby Chloe back down in her crib.

"Good." Gibbs said softly as he walked over to Abby. "Well eat breakfast, and then when she wakes up you can feed your daughter." Gibbs said with a grin as he stole a kiss from Abby.

---------------------------------------

Gibbs and Abby sat in the living room together after breakfast.

Gibbs had taken a position on the sofa while Abby sat in the chair breast-feeding the baby. Gibbs had the TV turned on to the weather channel and was checking the weather forecast for the weekend.

"Keep going at this rate munchkin, and you're gonna clean me out." Abby said softly to her daughter, with a slight chuckle.

After a few minutes the baby finally gave up with a full tummy.

Abby readjusted herself for a moment straightening everything back out.

"Greedy little munchkin, aren't we?" Abby cooed gently to the baby as she held her against her shoulder to burp her.

After a minute or so baby Chloe gave an audible burp.

"Yep, she definitely takes after you." Gibbs chuckled quietly.

"Gibbs." Abby blushed.

Gibbs laughed.

"So what're we doing today?" Abby asked.

Gibbs hit the mute button the television remote.

"Well Ducky's supposed to be comin' by later...so I guess we stay home--again." Gibbs said with a slight grin.

Abby rolled her eyes.

"Geez Gibbs, you haven't let me out of the house since we got home from the hospital." Abby said.

Gibbs laughed.

"I desperately need a shower." Abby said as she rubbed her infant daughters' tummy, gently.

"Well here, why don't you give me Chloe, and you can go jump in the shower." Gibbs suggested. "How's that sound." Gibbs asked.

"Like I would love you a whole lot." Abby chuckled.

Abby stood and carefully handed baby Chloe off to her lover, and then she skipped off towards the bathroom to take her shower.

"There's a good girl...yes you are...you're daddy's good little girl. Aren't ya?" Gibbs cooed softly to his infant daughter.

Gibbs sat back down on the sofa and held his daughter carefully in his arms, and cooed to her in soft voice. And for the most part it seemed to work great. Gibbs managed to make the tiny infant giggle at his funny faces and gestures.

For once Gibbs seemed genuinely happy and at peace within himself. Once thing's for sure he sure had fun playing with that baby, and vice-versa.

---------------------------------------

............To Be Continued in "Baby's Big Day"............
Chapter End Notes:
Enjoy and God Bless!!!!