- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A rather forlorn looking Gibbs confides in Abby about his feelings for her...
------------"Reconciliation"------------
Story by R. O. Knight
based on the hit television series "NCIS"
Created by Donald P. Bellisario


"Gibbs," Abby croaked her voice suddenly going hoarse and for a moment failing her completely as she stood staring at the man whom she'd spent countless hours thinking and dreaming about for almost a year now.

The first thought that ran through her mind was whether or not she was dreaming--was any of this actually happening.

Behind Gibbs the sound of rain pouring down kept the moment that the two of them shared just staring at each other from being completely silent.

"Abs-" Gibbs started slowly, a raspy tinge to his voice. To Abby, he knew, he probably looked pretty bad, but that was no comparison to the way that he felt standing there in front of her.

Hearing his voice snapped Abby out of her trance and she beckoned him inside out of the cold and rain.

--------------------------------------

The next few moments were spent in silence as Abby slipped from room to room retrieving towels and dry clothes as Gibbs waited for her in the bathroom.

Before returning to Gibbs she stopped an threw a towel down in front of the front door where Gibbs had come in. He had left quite a puddle there.

She soon returned to the bathroom where Gibbs was waiting, still dripping wet from the rain. She stood at the door for a moment, watching him as he leaned on the sink and stared aimlessly into the mirror. And she couldn't help but wonder what he might be thinking.

"Let's get you out of those wet clothes and into some dry ones," Abby said softly as she walked in past him and laid a set of dry clothes down on the commode.

The two of them worked together in silence to get Gibbs out of his wet clothes, her eyes slowly taking in everything--every line and crease folded along each individual muscle on his muscular body. She even recognized the scar left from where Ari had shot him in the shoulder.

After a moment he noticed she was staring, and he tried to force a knowing smile when she realized he knew. But it only made her blush and turn away.

"Here, I-I'll go put on some coffee," Abby said quietly, handing him a towel before slipping from the bathroom.

"Abs," Gibbs tried but she was already headed for the kitchen.

She didn't even stop or look back his way as she made her way towards the kitchen leaving Gibbs to finish cleaning up.

---------------------------------------

"God, she must hate me" Gibbs thought to himself as he finished wiping himself down with the towel. He couldn't say he blamed her.

Ever since he'd left for Mexico he'd thought about her. The image of that day still burned in his memory. He had known he wouldn't be able to defend himself or his decision with her, and he'd known what it would...what it did to her. And he'd hated himself for doing that to her.

He finished with the towel and tossed into a nearby laundry hamper, before reaching for the clothes laying on the commode.

He slid on the boxers and then the pair of faded blue jeans. then, of course, he reached for the pair socks she had also provided and he needed them--his feet did feel slightly chilled.

When he was in Mexico he had felt this twinge, or at least that was how it started out, a twinge. Nothing more, nothing less.

But as the days, weeks, and months had passed by it had grown to an irritating ache...an ache he couldn't seem to shake. That ache grew as well until it finally consumed every part of him and he knew why, of course, all too well.

That was when he decided--no--when he knew that he had to come back. He had to see her. He'd missed her smiling face, her pigtails, her sunny disposition--oh he could go on for an eternity.

He pulled the gray N.I.S. T-shirt over his head finally completing the ensemble that Abby had picked out for him. He stood for a moment in front of the mirror running his fingers through his hair trying to tidy it up a bit, but to no avail.

The aroma of freshly brewing coffee wafted gently passed his nose. Gibbs took a deep breath letting it fill his senses before making his way out of the bathroom, flipping the light switch down as he went.

---------------------------------------

When Gibbs entered the kitchen Abby was pulling a coffee mug from the cabinet above the coffee maker.

He stood there in the doorway watching her as she prepared his coffee. he noticed that she had taken off her sweater--it had gotten a little wet from helping him earlier.

She turned, holding the coffee mug, and saw him standing there staring at her.

"What?" she asked almost grinning. Gibbs didn't say anything--just smiled.

Abby held out the coffee mug in his direction, and Gibbs stepped forward and took it from her carefully.

"How did you know I would be here?" Abby asked quietly, nervously.

"It's what I would've done." Gibbs replied softly.

After a few moments standing there in silence watching Gibbs sip his coffee Abby decided to break the silence.

"I cleaned your house for you," Abby started nervously. "I mean I wasn't sure if you were coming back, or anything but just in case you know."

"It looks great Abs, thanks." Gibbs tried to smile.

"Things aren't the same without you around..." Abby said leaning back on the kitchen counter.

"I know." Gibbs replied taking a sip of coffee.

"...Even Tony said so just the other day. See we were trying to catch this serial killer, and everyone was frustrated--I mean everyone. And Tony was yelling at everyone, well mostly me, even though I don't think he really meant to; but like I said we were all under a lot of stress...and I was out of it--because I couldn't stop thinking-" Abby rambled on nervously before suddenly pausing, lips quivering.

She tried to regain her composure determined not too lose it in front of Gibbs.

Gibbs crossed the room setting his coffee mug down on the counter.

Abby fought but lost as the tears came in streaming down and her legs began to sway. She thought she would fall to her knees right there in the middle of the kitchen; but something caught her.

Gibbs wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close, so she could rest against him. He hated seeing Abby this way, and he hated even more that he was the reason that she was like this.

Through her tears Abby felt the silver-haired ex-marine place a gentle kiss on top of her head.

"I'm sorry Abs." Gibbs said softly his own eyes becoming moist.

Abby raised her head to look at Gibbs, wiping some tears from her face with the back of her hand. "I miss you Gibbs" she hiccuped.

Gibbs had missed her too. He had thought about her every day that he was in Mexico.

"You have to come back Gibbs," Abby pleaded.

"Okay." Gibbs replied.

"I mean it's not just me--Tony misses you, Ducky misses you, McGee and Ziva Miss you, and-" Abby rambled as was her custom.

"What?" Abby asked after she realized what he'd said.

"I'll talk to Jenny tomorrow" Gibbs said softly.

"Really?" Abby asked surprised. "You promise you won't go back to Mexico?"

"Nah, there's nothing down there but sand, water, and drunks." Gibbs said flashing that trademark grin that could warm Abby's heart no matter what mood she was in.

As the two of them stood there, in the middle of Gibbs' kitchen, something unexpected happened. And it happened so naturally, so easily.

Staring deeply, lost in each others eyes Gibbs pulled Abby closer and his lips met with hers without resistance and the two of them basked in the moment.

It was a moment that Abby wished would never end...

------------To Be Continued in "Back To The Daily Grind"------------

Hope you guys enjoyed Chapter 2 of my series, and I hope that you guys will check back later on for Chapter 3. God Bless
Chapter End Notes:
This, of course, is a continuation of "Like A Thief In The Night"...Enjoy!!!