- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The team finds themselves in a race against time to find 5 year old Chloe, who has been abducted while at the zoo with friends, before its too late...
------------"The Nightmare"------------
Story by R. O. Knight
Based on the hit television series "NCIS"
Created by Donald P. Bellisario

At NCIS HQ, Afternoon...

Abby strolled into the squad room with, already 2 years old, little Paige in her arms.

The squad room was somewhat alive. The team had just closed a case and was finishing up the paperwork before closing up shop.

"Hi guys." Abby said, cheerfully, as she strolled across the bullpen to her husband's desk.

Gibbs looked up as his wife made her way over to his desk. He just could not get over how beautiful she was. He was almost required to crack a smile when he saw her.

Abby reached Gibbs' desk and stooped down to his level for a kiss.

"I'm almost finished here, and then I'll be ready." Gibbs said, with a grin.

Abby just smiled brightly. "No rush." she said, as she took the seat next to Gibbs' desk, and sat down.

"I'm assuming you've already fed this little one." Gibbs said with a smile, nodding towards the baby in Abby's arms.

"Yep, she took the usual" Abby said, with a small laugh.

Gibbs smiled.

"You know, I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing you like that, Abs." Tony said, from across the bullpen.

"What'dya mean?" Abby asked.

"Well, I mean you just don't look like a...well you know like a mom." he said, cracking a slight grin.

Abby gave a funny look.

"I think what Tony means, is most 'Normal' mothers don't wear mini-skirts, platform shoes, or do their hair up in pigtails...or wear dog collars around their necks." McGee said.

Abby looked from McGee to Tony.

"Hey, don't look at me...McGee said it, not me." Tony said, with a grin.

Abby looked back at McGee.

"What...what did I do?" McGee asked.

"Jethro." Abby said, calmly.

Gibbs hardly even looked up.

"McGee." he said, sternly.

"But Boss, all I said was-" he started to say.

"McGee." Gibbs said, more sternly.

McGee finally gave up.

"Fine...this one's on me." McGee said, as he whacked himself on the back of the head.

In the corner across from Tony's desk, Ziva just could not help but laugh at McGee.

"You asked for it McGee." she chuckled.

"I always do." McGee said, somberly.

That made Abby laugh.

Suddenly little Paige gave a small grunt.

Abby chuckled. She had learned that whenever little Paige wanted something she would grunt, and Abby and Gibbs found that to be really kind of hilarious.

Gibbs laughed, as he looked up at his youngest daughter, and reached out for her.

Abby handed Paige over to her father.

Gibbs held little Paige in his arms and bounced her up and down gently, and cooed to her.

"Oh that's right...I know what my girl wants." Gibbs said softly, with a smile.

"She wants to see her big sister." Gibbs winked at Abby.

"Is that what you want sweetheart?" Abby cooed softly to her youngest daughter. "Do you wanna see Chloe?"

Little Paige gave another small grunt that was immediately followed by a smile, and that made everyone laugh.

"I'll take that as a yes." Abby said, with a smile, as she looked up at Gibbs.

"Alright, just let me finish here real quick, and we'll go get big sister, okay?" Gibbs asked, softly.

Little Paige showed her approval of the submitted plan, by doing something that Gibbs and Abby were still unable to figure out where she had learned it or why she did it--especially at that age--and slapped her tiny hands together as best and as hard as she could manage.

"Alright." Gibbs said, with a smile. "Go back to mommy for a little bit." Gibbs said as he handed his daughter back to his wife.

Abby took little Paige back into her arms.

At that moment a smiling Ducky strolled into the squad room with 4 year old Chloe skipping along beside him cheerfully.

"Afternoon all." Ducky said, as he approached Abby's side.

"Hey Ducky." Abby said cheerfully, as she bounced her daughter on her knee.

"Mommy guess what?" Chloe asked, excitedly.

"What?" Abby asked, with a warm smile.

"Grandpa Ducky, showed me a heart." Chloe exclaimed, excitedly.

"Wow." Abby said, with a smile, as she looked up at Ducky.

Gibbs shot Ducky a look.

"Before you say anything, Jethro, you should know that she insisted I show it to her." Ducky said to Gibbs.

---------------------------------------

A Little Later...

Gibbs, Abby, and Chloe were walking to the car to go home. Abby carried Paige in her arms.

"Stop. Don't go any further." came a voice from behind the family, followed by the familiar clicking sound made by a gun.

Gibbs and company froze in place.

"Do as I say, and no one will get hurt." the voice instructed, menacingly.

"What is it exactly, that you want?" Gibbs asked, calmly.

"Her. The girl." the voice replied.

"Never gonna happen." Gibbs said.

Another clicking sound, another gun.

"Then she dies right here." the voice said.

Gibbs could feel the second gun being shifted from him to Chloe.

"If you wanna kill someone...then kill me." Gibbs said, thinking quickly, and yet trying to remain calm.

"It doesn't work that way, Agent Gibbs." the voice said.

A hand reached out and wrapped around Chloe's wrist. The hand pulled her away from Gibbs and Abby.

"Daddy!?" Chloe said, as she felt herself being pulled away from her parents and sister, beginning to succumb to fear and panic--tears already forming in her eyes.

"Shhhh, it's okay sweetheart." Gibbs said soothingly, not able to look at his daughter. "It'll be alright...I promise." he added softly.

Chloe was instantly calmed by her father's words. If her Dad said it would be okay, then it would be okay. He had never lied to her before, why would he start now.

Gibbs could hear footsteps, and in his mind he reasoned that the mysterious man was backing away with Chloe, getting ready to make his escape.

"Jethro." Abby insisted, a worried tone to her voice.

Gibbs couldn't fight the impulse any longer at that point.

In one swift motion he drew his Sig, turned to fire, and...BANG!

Gibbs felt something hit him...hard. It knocked the wind out of his lungs, and sent a searing pain shooting through his entire body.

He could hear his wife and children screaming as he fell to his knees.

"Daddy!" Chloe screamed, seeing what the mysterious man had done to her father, and wanting to run over and protect him.

Little Paige was crying in her mother's arms.

Abby screamed Gibbs' name as she ducked for cover shielding little Paige with her arms.

Gibbs suddenly found that he could no longer hold his gun up, and the world suddenly seemed to be spinning right before his very eyes.

And then...everything went black...

---------------------------------------

Later...

Gibbs suddenly awoke with a start.

He found himself dizzy and disoriented, but after a few moments he regained his bearings.

"Where am I?" He asked almost immediately, as he looked around the room.

The team, Ducky, Jenny, and Fornell gathered around as soon as they heard his voice--some of them had been standing right outside the door of the hospital room.

"Jethro, just calm down." Ducky said, as he approached his friend's side.

"What happened?" was Gibbs' next question.

"You were shot Boss." Tony informed him.

Flashes of the events that took place earlier invaded his mind.

"Forrnell...what're you-" Gibbs started to ask.

Suddenly more images--more complete images--flashed through Gibbs' mind.

"Chloe...Where's Chloe?" Gibbs said, at once.

"Now Gibbs, I think it would be best if you'd just-" Forrnell tried to say.

"Where is my daughter!?" Gibbs demanded, angrily.

The room was silent for what seemed like the longest time, until someone finally decided to speak up.

"We do not know...yet." Ziva said, quietly.

"You don't kn-" Gibbs started. "Then what the hell are you standing around for! We have to find her." Gibbs said, angrily.

Gibbs started to pull himself out of the hospital bed, first throwing back the covers off of his leg.

"Jethro, I really don't think that's a good idea." Jenny said, as she moved around to where Ducky was standing.

"Sorry...Aah...if I don't agree, Director Shepherd." Gibbs said, condescendingly, wincing in pain as he threw his legs over the side of the bed.

"Jethro, I am afraid I have to agree with the Director." Ducky said, cautioning Gibbs.

Gibbs didn't answer Ducky. Gibbs dropped down onto the floor, wincing slightly as he realized that we was being held back by all of the wires and tubes stuck inside him.

Angrily, Gibbs snatches the needles, tubes wires out of/off of his body gritting his teeth as he performed the action.

Gibbs looked around the room.

"Where's Abby?" he asked.

"Out in the hall, but-" Forrnell tried to stop Gibbs, but to no avail.

---------------------------------------

Gibbs walked out into the hall, wearing nothing but the hospital gown that he was dressed in.

He spotted her sitting among a set of chairs lined up against the wall just a short ways down the hall.

Gibbs walked towards her.

"Abs." he said, as he approached her.

Abby looked up at Gibbs, and he could tell she had been crying--a lot--her eyes were red.

"Abs, I-" Gibbs started to say.

Abby jumped up, and threw herself into her husband's arms.

"Jethro." she sobbed against him.

"Abs, where's Paige?" Gibbs asked.

Abby sniffled. "She's with Tim and Palmer...at NCIS." she explained.

The tears would not stop flowing. It was a weird experience for both of them. Abby was not a "Crier", and everyone knew that. It would take something devastatingly horrific or upsetting--such as the current situation--to make her cry.

"He took her, Jethro." she sobbed against.

"I know." Gibbs said, holding her close.

The rest of the gang had gathered outside in the hallway, not to far away.

"He took our baby." Abby's sobbing increased.

Gibbs found, suddenly, that his eyes were tearing up as well--as the emotions building up inside of him needed to be released.

"I will find her...I promise you." Gibbs said, softly, as he lifted his wife's head so that they could see into each other's eyes.

"I won't let anything happen to her." Gibbs reassured her, as he gently kissed her on the nose.

Abby sniffled and hiccuped as she tried to get her crying under control.

"I-I...I know." she said.

Abby wrapped her arms around her husband and held on tight, hugging him, suddenly somewhat afraid that she might lose the rest of her world.

"I want her back, Jethro...I want-" but she couldn't finish her sentence.

"I know Abs...so do I." he replied.

A few moments passed before Gibbs spoke up again.

"DiNozzo." Gibbs said.

"Yeah Boss!?" Tony said, from behind Gibbs.

"Get my cloths, we're leaving." Gibbs said.

"On it boss." Tony replied.

---------------------------------------

At NCIS HQ...

Gibbs, Abby, and the team step off of the elevator and walk quickly towards their little bullpen area.

"DiNozzo, seal off the parking lot...it's a crime scene and-" Gibbs started to say as he reached his desk.

"Already done Boss." Tony informed Gibbs as he sat down at his desk.

Gibbs throws Tony a look.

"Ziva-" Gibbs begins.

"Security camera footage...taken care of." Ziva said, cutting Gibbs off.

"Okay, just how long was I out?" Gibbs asked.

"Four hours...give or take." Forrnell informed Gibbs.

"Four hours...then I guess what I should be asking is: 'What have you found out...so far?'" Gibbs said.

"Not much to be honest." Ziva said, as she took her seat.

"Abby managed to get a decent look at the guy." Tony said, nodding towards Abby who was sitting in the chair next to Gibbs' desk. "I put out a BOLO as soon as we had something to work with."

"You really should let my team handle this one Jethro." Forrnell said.

"Sorry Forrnell, can't do that. You're welcome to help us though...or you could just sit and watch. Either way we're wasting time having this conversation, so the choice is yours, Forrnell." Gibbs said, looking at Forrnell, who was standing by Tony's desk.

Just then McGee strolls into the bullpen, unexpectedly, quickly, a frantic expression on his face.

"What's buggin' you McGoogle?" Tony asked, when McGee entered the bullpen area.

At that point everyone else looked up at McGee, and they too noticed the expression on McGee's face.

McGee looked really worried.

"What is it, McGee?" Gibbs asked, in a tone that conveyed the message "..Even though I shouldn't have to ask."

"I think there's something you need to see down in Abby's lab, boss." McGee said, slowly.

And with that the team heads for Abby's lab, with McGee leading the way.

---------------------------------------

In Abby's Lab...

Palmer was sitting in Abby's office area playing with little Paige who was safely protected inside of her little play pin that Gibbs and Abby had set up in the office area there for just such reasons.

When the team entered the Lab, Jimmy stood up, patted the tot on the head, gently, and then walked out into the main lab area to meet everyone by the computer/workstation area.

"Where's Paige?" Abby asked Jimmy, quietly.

Jimmy motioned, with a smile, towards the office area.

"In her play pin--safe and sound." he said, with a grin.

"Thanks Jimmy." she replied, quietly, as she quickly made her way towards the office area.

---------------------------------------

In the office area Abby walked over to the play pin sitting against the wall next to her work desk.

"Hey there sweetheart." Abby said, softly, trying her best to appear strong and brave in front of the little girl.

Abby stooped over and lifted the little 1 year old out of the play pin, and then she sat down in her desk chair holding Paige gently, yet closely, to her own body--feeling very protective of her child.

Abby kissed little Paige gently on the forehead.

---------------------------------------

Out in the main lab area McGee was punching keys on the computer's keyboard hastily.

Suddenly some fingerprint analysis data flashed up onto the monitor/screen.

"What am I looking at, McGee?" Gibbs asked.

"After you were taken to the hospital, and we were called back. We secured the area in and around the parking lot, and-" McGee had begun his long-winded story when his boss cut him off.

"McGee!" Gibbs snapped.

"Uh...r-right boss...sorry." McGee apologized. "I canvased the entire area around where you were shot, and besides some blood--which was yours--I found a single shell casing." McGee explained.

"The attacker didn't police his brass, boss." Tony interjected.

Gibbs rolled his eyes.

"Or, DiNozzo, it could be from my Sig...I did draw my weapon too." Gibbs said.

"But...it wasn't." McGee said, quickly.

Gibbs looked back at McGee with "that look".

"We checked the ammo clip from your gun, uh, sir--just to be sure...it was full." Jimmy added.

"I guess you never got the chance to fire at your, mysterious, attacker after all." Ducky said.

"Then who does it belong to?" Ziva asked.

"I was just getting to that." McGee said, quickly. "I was able to get a good enough print off of the shell casing to run a search through AFIS." McGee said.

Gibbs straightened up and looked at McGee, glaring at him, waiting for him to finish his sentence.

"And?" Gibbs demanded.

"And...And, we got a match." McGee said, pressing a button on the keyboard.

Suddenly a photo of a white male, mid to late thirties or so, and some other background information flashed up onto the monitor/screen.

"Clint Bellows." McGee read the name out to Gibbs and the others.

"Dear heavens." Ducky said, quietly, shocked by what he was seeing on the computer screen.

"Why does this guy look familiar, Gibbs?" Forrnell asked, from behind them.

Everyone else, as well, was staring at the computer screen in shock.

"Because you pass by him every time you come through the front door of THIS BUILDING." Gibbs said, angrily.

"DiNozzo, get the car, and meet us out front." Gibbs barked.

"On it Boss." Tony said, obediently, as he turned and headed out of the lab, quickly.

"McGee, write down that address, and meet us at the car...and be quick about it." Gibbs snapped, at McGee.

Gibbs turned and headed towards the door.

"Ziva, you come with me." Gibbs ordered her.

"Search Warrant?" Forrnell asked, curiously, of Gibbs, as Gibbs passed by him.

"Don't need one." Gibbs replied, as he walked by Forrnell.

"I thought you'd say that." Forrnell said, with a half grin.

Just then Abby exited her office area, and walked over to where Jimmy was still standing by the computer/workstation.

"Jimmy, could you watch Paige...just a little while longer for me?" she asked, quietly.

"Sure." Jimmy said, with a grin.

"Thanks Jimmy, I really appreciate it." Abby said, as she turned and headed out after the others.

"Wait for me Jethro, I'm coming with you." she said as she caught up with her husband and Ziva.

---------------------------------------

Later...

Outside of Clint Bellows' Home...

Gibbs, Forrnell, and the rest of the team silently made their way towards Clint Bellows' home, on foot.

They all had on their Kevlar vests, and what not, and they had their weapons drawn and at the ready.

Gibbs gave hand signals to move his team into position as they approached the front door.

Ziva peeked in through a nearby window, cautiously, in an attempt to make visual contact with their suspect.

She motioned to Gibbs the "go-ahead" signal.

Gibbs motioned to Tony, who then once given the command, reared back and kicked the door in.

---------------------------------------

Inside Bellows' Home...

"Federal Agents!" Gibbs shouted as they stormed into the house, hastily.

"Where is she Clint!?" Gibbs shouted angrily, as he and his team searched around for their suspect.

Finally they headed for a hallway that led past the kitchen area, and back towards where the bedrooms would be located.

Suddenly a bullet whizzed past Gibbs ear, just barely missing it's mark.

Gibbs ducked out of the way, as did the others who also took cover.

"Drop the gun if you want to leave here alive!" Forrnell shouted down the hallway.

A few more bullets whizzed past the group of federal agents.

Ziva had taken cover in one of the first rooms that was accessible from the hallway. Tony and McGee had dove into a nearby bedroom that was accessible from the hallway.

Gibbs and Forrnell were taking cover at opposite sides of the entrance to the hallway.

At the very end of the hallway was where the master bedroom was located, and that was where Clint Bellows was hunkered down at.

"She's Mine!" Bellows shouted, angrily, as he popped out of his room just for a second to fire a few more rounds at the federal agents before ducking safely back inside his bedroom.

"I'll never let you take her from me...you hear me...EVER!" Bellows shouted once more, from inside his bedroom.

"How do we know that Chloe is somewhere safe, and not in danger of being hit by cross-fire!?" Ziva shouted back to Gibbs--and the others.

"We don't." Gibbs answered Ziva.

"Chloe! Sweetheart...it's daddy...are you okay!?" Gibbs shouted down the hall.

Gibbs received no answer from his daughter.

"She doesn't want to talk to you!" Bellows shouted, from inside his bedroom.

"We'll just have to be sure we only hit Bellows." Tony added, from inside the room where he and McGee had taken cover from Bellows' gunfire.

---------------------------------------

In Bellows' Bedroom...

The room was dimly-lit...

Inside his bedroom, Bellows ejected the now empty clip from his gun, and then slipped a new one into it and then cocked it.

---------------------------------------

"If anything has happened to that little girl, I can promise you that prison will be the least of your worries!" Forrnell shouted, down the hallway.

"Just tell us where she is, and no one here has to get hurt!" Gibbs shouted, down the hallway, to Bellows.

"Never!" Bellows shouted, as he once again, popped out and fired off three or four more rounds at the federal agents--only this time he's holding two guns instead of one.

The agents fired off a few rounds of their own, but Bellows just ducked back into his bedroom--back to safety.

---------------------------------------

In Bellows' Bedroom...

"After all the things I saw you do to her...I'll never let you hurt her again!" Bellows shouted, at Gibbs and his team. "Never!" he added, with a shout, as he popped out again and fired multiple shots from both of his guns before ducking back inside his bedroom--safely.

The sound of shots being fired by Gibbs and his team could be heard outside of Bellows' bedroom.

"Don't worry darlin'...I won't let them hurt you again...I promise." Bellows whispered towards the bed.

---------------------------------------

In Tony and McGee's Room...

Tony and McGee retreat back into their safe zone after having fired a few more rounds in Bellows' direction.

"This guys sounds really disturbed." McGee said, as pressed himself up against the wall.

Tony looked over at McGee from where he was situated.

"Gee, you think Probie." Tony said, sarcastically.

---------------------------------------

In the Hallway...

"What is he talking about?" Forrnell asked.

Gibbs looked at Forrnell who was looking at him.

"I have no idea." Gibbs said.

"I assure you, no one is going to hurt her." Forrnell shouted, trying to reassure Bellows.

---------------------------------------

In the Bathroom...

Ziva had ended up diving for cover in a bathroom--just her luck.

Ziva quickly swapped out her empty ammo clip for a new, full, ammo clip, and then quickly cocked it so that it would be ready for use.

Ziva then pressed her herself up against the doors of the "under-the-sink" cabinet she was sitting in front of. She peered out around the door quickly to see what she could see, before pulling back slightly to once again hide herself from view.

She positioned herself just so, and then placed a finger over her earpiece, gently.

"Gibbs, I think I can immobilize him so that we can get to Chloe." she said, quietly, into her miniature communication device that was attached to the sleeve of her shirt.

"I just need a diversion, to draw him into the open." she added, quietly.

---------------------------------------

At the Entrance to the Hallway...

Gibbs touched a finger to his earpiece, as he listened to what Ziva was saying.

"...I just need a diversion, to draw him into the open." he heard Ziva say, quietly, finishing her sentence.

Gibbs looked over at Forrnell, just for a second or two, though.

"Gibbs?" came the quiet voice over Gibbs' earpiece once again.

"I hear you Ziva...and I think I have just the thing." Gibbs whispered, into the tiny/miniature microphone hooked onto his shirt sleeve.

---------------------------------------

In the Bathroom...

"Understood." Ziva said, quietly, into her tiny/miniature microphone.

---------------------------------------

Gibbs looked over at Forrnell who nodded at Gibbs.

Everyone else had been told the plan as well, so now...they were ready...or at least they hoped that they were.

"Everyone, prepare to back out." Gibbs shouted down the hall.

"What're you doing!?" Bellows asked, from inside his bedroom at the end of the hallway.

"We're leaving!" Forrnell informed Bellows.

"We don't want anyone to get hurt...so we're gonna back out, and leave." Gibbs explained.

They waited a few seconds for a response, and then Gibbs gave the order and everyone, accept Ziva, began to move slowly out of their "Safe-Zones", and towards the front of the house and the front door.

---------------------------------------

In Bellows' Bedroom...

He stood with his back pressed up against the wall, beads of sweat rolling down his forehead.

He waited a moment before making any movements, and then he decided that it was probably safe. So he then proceeded to move slowly and carefully towards one of the windows on the wall adjacent to the one that he had been standing against earlier.

He reached the window and moved the curtains aside, slowly and carefully, and then he took a peek through the window and saw the group of federal agents headed back towards their cars.

---------------------------------------

Outside of Bellows' Home...

The team, and Forrnell made their way to the cars sitting in the driveway. Gibbs was walking, slowly, behind everyone else.

"Just stay calm, and act natural." Gibbs whispered to Forrnell and the rest of the team.

BANG! The sound of the gunshot rang through the inside of the house, and could also be heard very clearly from outside the house.

"All clear." Gibbs heard Ziva's voice through his earpiece.

Gibbs immediately pivoted around, made a U-Turn, and sprinted full speed for the still open front door of the house.

"But, I am hit." Ziva added.

Gibbs could tell by the sound of footsteps that his team and Forrnell were right behind him.

"DiNozzo." Gibbs barked, over his shoulder.

"I know boss, I heard her. I'll take care of Ziva." Tony reassured Gibbs as they passed through the front door of the house.

Gibbs and the team immediately headed for the hallway--Tony stopped not long after entering the hallway, and attended to Ziva who was in the bathroom area.

---------------------------------------

Bellows' Master Bedroom...

Gibbs headed straight into Bellows' Master Bedroom, jumping over Bellows, who was lying on the floor near the window clutching his leg--which had two gunshot wounds in it.

Forrnell and McGee entered the bedroom as well. Forrnell kicked one of the guns up under the bed, and away from Bellows. McGee knelt down and picked up the second gun and quickly slid it into an evidence bag.

Gibbs looked around the bedroom. No sign of his precious daughter. Then his eyes landed on the closet door, which was not closed all of the way.

Gibbs holstered his Sig, and moved slowly and carefully towards the closet.

"Chloe...sweetheart...it's daddy." Gibbs said, soothingly. "Are you in there?" Gibbs asked, softly.

Gibbs reached out and grabbed the knob on the closet door.

"Be careful Gibbs...it could be a trap." Forrnell warned his friend.

Gibbs pulled on the closet door.

"Chloe-" was the only word that escaped from Gibbs' mouth as the closet door opened up.

His breath caught in his throat immediately, as his eyes fell upon his daughter's bruised and battered body slumped motionless against the closet floor.

Gibbs suddenly fell to his knees.

The others moved closer to see what was going on.

Gibbs edged closer into the closet, and gathered his daughter into his arms. He rolled her so that he was looking directly into Chloe's eyes.

Her body was covered in scratches, bumps, and bruises. There was a little bit of blood at the edge of her mouth, and her once beautiful blue eyes, were now darkened and lifeless--black, empty voids where not even the slightest flicker of light could be seen.

She didn't even look like herself. Her pigtails were dirty and coming apart. The face that used to hold a beautiful smile that warmed Gibbs' heart every time he saw it, was now twisted in an expression of fear an anguish.

Gibbs' whole body shuddered as the tears began to roll/flow, almost endlessly, down his cheeks.

He pulled his daughter's lifeless body into an emotional embrace, not wanting to let go of her.

"Chloe...my...my...my little princess." Gibbs sobbed and hiccuped the words.

Just then Abby, who had been told to stay in the car before they entered Bellows' home the first time, entered the room.

"Where is she? Is she...is she okay?" Abby began asking frantically as she pushed her way through the others to get to where her husband was.

"Daddy loves you so much." Gibbs sobbed. "I'm so sorry."

"Jethro, is she-" Abby started to say, but then she reached Gibbs' side and saw him cradling their oldest (4 years old) daughter's lifeless body.

Abby immediately fell to her knees in tears.

:"My baby...my precious little angel." Abby sobbed, uncontrollably.

Gibbs howled in pain unable to subdue himself, and unable to do anything else.

Everyone else stood by in anguish over the loss of the precious little girl. Ziva, who was leaning on Tony for support (from her wound) couldn't contain the sorrow that she felt in her heart, and turned and cried into Tony. Tony embraced Ziva in a comforting hug, while at the same time using his free hand to wipe tears from his own eyes.

"Gibbs." Forrnell said, from behind his friend. "Gibbs."

Gibbs didn't answer.

"Jethro!" came a sudden female shout.

---------------------------------------

Gibbs Residence...

Gibbs suddenly sat bolt upright in his bed. He realized that he was sweating profusely, and that Abby was standing over him holding their 1 year old daughter, Paige, in her arms.

Gibbs took a moment to catch his breath.

Looking around he suddenly realized that he had been dreaming before. It had all been a terrible nightmare. He breathed a sigh of relief at the realization.

"Jethro, are you okay?" Abby asked as she sat down on the edge of the bed. "I was feeding Paige, in the nursery, when I heard you scream." she added.

"Yeah, I'm...I'm fine." Gibbs said, quietly, as he collected his thoughts. "Just had a bad dream is all." Gibbs said, giving a slight chuckle.

Just then little 4 year old Chloe pulled herself up onto the bed beside her father.

"Oh, there she is...my little princess." Gibbs said, as he grabbed Chloe and pulled her into a big hug.

"Daddy." Chloe protested. "I'm a scientist, like mommy...not a princess." Chloe informed her father, with a grin--doing the best that she could to pronounce the word "Scientist".

Gibbs laughed, and then placed a gentle kiss on his daughter's forehead.

Gibbs leaned forward and pulled Abby and Paige closer to him. He then wrapped all three of them in an enormous hug.

"I love my girls, so much." Gibbs whispered, as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

"We love you too, Daddy." Chloe said, as she wrapped her arms around her father as best as she could manage.

Abby couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

------------To Be Continued in "First Day of School"------------
Chapter End Notes:
This is Chapter 27 of my series. Enjoy and God Bless!!!!!