- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chloe finally starts school in Kindergarten...Gibbs and Abby are a little bit nervous about Chloe starting school...
------------"The First Day of School"------------
Story by R. O. Knight
based on the hit television series "NCIS"
Created by Donald P. Bellisario

Gibbs and Abby, as well as Chloe sat in apprehension the whole drive from their home to where Chloe would be starting Kindergarten on this very day.

Chloe, by now, was six years old. She really should have started school the previous fall, but Gibbs and Abby weren't sure if Chloe was ready to start school at that time--or maybe it was just that THEY weren't ready for Chloe to start school at that time.

At this point it was hard to tell who was more nervous about starting school Gibbs and Abby or Chloe.

"Here we are." Gibbs said, nervously and quietly, as he pulled the car up into a vacant parking spot in the school parking lot.

Gibbs shut the car down, and then after taking a deep breath, He, Abby, and Chloe climbed out of the car.

The two of them looked around a moment before continuing towards the school's front doors.

Abby held Chloe's hand as they crossed the street from the parking lot to the actual school building.

---------------------------------------

Gibbs and Abby soon found themselves standing in the main hall of the school building with Chloe by their side.

They stood in silence watching some other children, and teachers walking back and forth down the hall(s).

Finally, after a brief moment, one of the teachers approached the couple and their daughter.

"Can I help you?" the teacher asked.

The teacher was a fairly young looking woman with soft features and a sweet sounding voice, and cute little dimples that shown when she smiled. She had Hazel eyes and light brown, shoulder length hair. She was of average height, and did not wear a whole lot of make-up. She was rather attractive.

Gibbs and Abby snapped out of their trance that they had been lost in.

"Oh...um, yeah sorry." Gibbs said, giving a slight chuckle. "Guess I must've zoned out for a second there."

"This is our daughter, Chloe." Abby said, motioning to Chloe who was now/at that point hiding behind one of her father's legs--or at least trying to anyway.

"Hey there Chloe." the teacher said, softly, as she stooped down to greet the little girl.

"She's just a little bit shy around strangers." Abby said, with a knowing grin towards her daughter.

"I understand completely." the teacher said with a chuckle/grin, as she stood up straight to face Gibbs and Abby once more.

"Is this her first day?" the teacher asked.

"Yeah." Gibbs said, flashing that trademark grin.

The teacher nodded, knowingly.

"I have a little girl of my own who's starting school today too." the teacher said, with a grin.

"Really, what's her name?" Abby asked, intrigued by the suddenly revealed fact.

"Jenny." the teacher replied. "She just turned 5 this last March."

"Maybe they'll be in the same class, and then they could be friends." Abby suggested.

"Maybe." the teacher replied, with a chuckle.

"Yeah, maybe." Gibbs chimed in.

"Who does she have?" the teacher asked.

Abby tipped her head to one side, for a brief moment, as she tried to remember the teacher's name that had been on the forms that they had been given after they had signed her up/registered Chloe for school.

"Umm...ooh, Hastings." Abby said, finally. "Barbara Hastings." she then added, a second later.

The teacher gave an amused chuckle.

"Well, it looks like they will be in the same class after all." the teacher said, with a chuckle.

"So then you know where her classroom is." Abby said.

"Of course I do." the teacher said, with an amused grin. "It's my classroom." she added.

It took a second maybe two seconds for Abby and Gibbs to realize who the teacher they were talking to was--they had been talking to Mrs. Barbara Hastings all along.

"Oh, oh...You're Mrs. Hastings." Abby said, suddenly realizing who the teacher was.

"I am so sorry." Abby said, apologetically. "I'm Abby and this is my husband, Jethro Gibbs." Abby explained.

"Hello, it's so good to meet you." Mrs. Hastings said, with a chuckle/grin, as she shook Gibbs' hand, and then Abby's hand, as they attempted to start over--with a formal greeting this time around.

Mrs. Hastings looked around the hallway, quickly, and then looked back at Gibbs and Abby.

"Well, classes will be starting up soon so why don't we walk down to my classroom together, and get Chloe situated, and then maybe we can introduce her to Jenny." Mrs. Hastings suggested, with a smile.

They agreed that that would be the best, next course of action, and so then they all began to head down the first hall to the right towards Mrs. Hastings classroom.

As they headed down the hall Abby and Mrs. Hastings conversed with each other.

"You know, you remind me a lot of my sister, Anna." Mrs. Hastings said, to Abby.

"Really?" Abby asked, amused, with a grin.

"Oh yes." Mrs. Hastings replied. "Accept, she's a single mom of one."

---------------------------------------


......This Chapter Is Not Yet Finished......

......But When This Chapter Is Finished......

------------To Be Continued in "Aftermath"------------
Chapter End Notes:
This is Chapter 28 of my series "Together". Enjoy and God Bless!!!