- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Abby spend a weekend together, just the two of them, catching up. Gibbs makes the call to Jen to let her know that he's coming back to work, and she reinstates him effective the following Monday.
------------"Weekend At Gibbs' Place, Pt. 1"------------
Story by R. O. Knight
based on the hit television show "NCIS"
Created by Donald P. Bellisario

Abby opened her eyes, just a little bit at first, then all the way as she realized where she was. She and Gibbs had fallen asleep together on the sofa. She raised her head to look at Gibbs who she found was still sleeping. She smiled at the sight before gently laying her head back against his chest.

She was nearly lulled back to sleep by the steady rise and fall of his chest, when a voice pulled her back.

"Morning." Gibbs said softly just before a sudden yawn overtook him.

Abby lifted her head up, once again, to be greeted by the warmest set of blue eyes she had ever seen. "Is it really?" she asked sheepishly.

"Afraid so," Gibbs replied with a grin.

"Aww, and I was havin' so much fun," she said jokingly as she laid her head back down.

Gibbs gave a quiet chuckle at Abby's remark that succeeded in drawing another short chuckle from her.

"Sleep well?" Gibbs asked softly gently running his hand back and forth along the small of her back.

"Mmhmm." she replied, although in her heart she knew, and she wished she could tell him, that she had not slept this good in such a long time. At least not without waking 3 or 4 times a night, his name just teetering on the edge of her lips. But she dared not say anything of that sort...not yet at least.

"What time is it?" Abby asked.

"Probably some time after 0900, I would think." Gibbs said in between yawns.

"Any plans?" Abby asked quietly as she ran her hand down his mid-section.

"For today...well let's see," Gibbs started.

Abby raised her head upon feeling Gibbs tap her the top of her head with his finger.

"There is this little girl," He continued. "And she's been a naughty little girl." Gibbs said with a slight grin.

"Really," Abby said quite amused. "How naughty?" She asked with a playful grin.

"Well, she needs to be punished." he said with a chuckle.

"That bad hunh?" Abby smirked. "What did she do, I wonder?"

"She doubted me." Gibbs said softly, a certain seriousness in his voice.

"Wow" Abby thought to herself. "He was good".

She had not realized that he'd actually picked up on the uncertainty and doubt that she had tried so hard to hide from him; especially when she had asked about his plans.

She had been trying to act like everything was alright, but he had caught it anyway. Why she even tried to hide it from him she wasn't sure.

Gibbs cupped her face with his hand, gently stroking her cheek with his thumb, looking into her fierce green eyes.

"I love you, Abby Scuito." he said softly.

Abby could feel her eyes burning. A voice in the back of her head was screaming "Don't cry! Don't cry!". "Easier said than done." She thought to herself.

Gibbs pulled her close and kissed her deeply, reinforcing what he had to say next.

When he pulled back her eyes were moist with the emotion that was welling up inside of her with a tinge of redness in them.

"And I will never leave you again, I promise." he said softly as he used his thumb to wipe a tear from her cheek.

Those were the words that she had longed to hear, and Abby knew with everything that she was that he would keep his promise.

---------------------------------------

Abby stood in the kitchen, humming to her self, as she put the finishing touches on a couple of tofu wraps for herself and Gibbs.

Gibbs, at the moment, was busy showering and shaving. Abby had said she would clean up after they ate.

"There, perfect." Abby said content with her finished product.

She walked out to the dinning room table with the two plates in hand. The windows in the dinning area let in the sunlight from outside which illuminated the room perfectly and beautifully.

Gibbs entered from the direction of the living room as Abby set the plates down on the table. He had changed into an army-green T-Shirt, but still had on the jeans from the night before.

"How do I look?" He asked pausing in the doorway.

"You missed a spot, Gibbs." Abby said with a grin, referring to his newly carved "mustache", as she took her seat.

"What...this?" he asked pointing to his upper lip.

"Yeah...that?" she replied pointing a finger at his mustache.

"I think it looks good." Gibbs said as he made his way over to his spot at the table, directly across from Abby.

"You look like my father." Abby said with a chuckle as Gibbs pulled his chair back and plopped down.

"And that's a bad thing?" Gibbs replied looking down at his tofu wrap.

Abby couldn't help but laugh at the way Gibbs was looking at his tofu wrap.

"That's your breakfast Gibbs." Abby informed him taking a bite of her own tofu wrap.

"Right."

"Something wrong with it?" Abby asked swallowing another bite.

"I'm just trying to figure out what it is?" Gibbs said still staring down at his tofu wrap.

"Its a tofu wrap Gibbs...try it, I'm sure you'll love it." Abby said taking another bite of her tofu wrap.

Gibbs looked at it for another moment before picking it up and taking a bite. He chewed once, twice, and tried to chew a third time but just couldn't make himself do it.

Abby nearly choked on a bite of her own tofu wrap when she saw the face Gibbs made. It was just too funny. He hated it, and she'd known that he would.

Gibbs picked up his plate and with great haste made for the kitchen.

"Aww, come on Gibbs its good for you." She called after him.

After a few moments he returned to the table, a coffee mug in his hand, to find Abby struggling to not laugh her butt off.

"I'm sorry," she said as he reclaimed his seat at the table. "I just couldn't help myself." she said with a grin.

"That's quite alright," Gibbs said taking a sip of coffee. "Lunch is on me."

"What're we havin'?" Abby asked as if she didn't already know the answer to that question.

"Steak." he replied.

"That stuff clogs you're arteries you know?" she said. "Which will only kill you faster."

"Better than dying of starvation." Gibbs replied with a grin.

Abby just grinned at the handsome man sitting across from her sipping on his coffee.

Gibbs sipped his coffee, silently, as he watched Abby finish off what was left of her tofu wrap.

As Abby took her dishes to the kitchen she and Gibbs discussed their plans for the next two days.

"We've got two whole days to ourselves." Abby said from the kitchen.

"Yep." Gibbs agreed taking a sip of coffee.

"What do you want to do?" Abby asked entering the dining area once again.

"Well...the back yards' a mess for one thing." Gibbs said looking up at Abby who was standing in the doorway.

"Two whole days together, just us and a little R & R, and you wanna do yard work?"

"There's always the boat." Gibbs said with a grin.

"Obviously I'm talking to the wrong person." Abby said as she walked over and sat down in Gibbs' lap.

"Maybe you should try DiNozzo." Gibbs offered smiling that trademark "Gibbs" smile.

"Yeah maybe." Abby said with a grin.

"Okay tell you what...I'm gonna go jump in the shower and get cleaned up...afterwards, we'll go into town."

"What's in town?" Gibbs asked moving a strand of hair from Abby's face.

"Well for starters you need groceries...then after that, if you're a good boy, well--we'll just have to see." She said flashing Gibbs a mischievous smile.

"And if I'm not?" Gibbs asked amused.

"Is that a threat, Gibbs."

It was always funny how she and Gibbs seemed to get along so well. Abby just always felt like Gibbs was maybe the one person she was free to be herself around without fear; and she knew that he felt the same way. She began to wonder, sitting there in his lap, why they fought this for so long. The two of them just seemed so natural.

"Maybe." Gibbs said softly stealing a kiss.

The two of them sat silently for a moment, staring into each others eyes.

"Go on and get ready...I'll get the car." Gibbs said with a smile nudging Abby up out of his lap.

He watched her skip off in the direction of the bathroom humming to herself as she went.

------------To Be Continued in "Weekend At Gibbs' Place, Pt. 2"------------
Chapter End Notes:
This is chapter three of my series. I have decided that I am going to try to intermingle some other character story lines into this series just to give sort of a glimpse of what's to come in my second series that will focus entirely on Tony and Ziva.