- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Abby, along with some help from their friends, are preparing for the baby. Finishing the nursery, baby-proofing Gibbs' house, getting the rest of Abby's things moved in to his house. So much to do, and so little time in which to do it...
---------"One For The Money, Two For The Show..."---------
Story by R. O. Knight
based on the hit television series "NCIS"
Created by Donald P. Bellisario

Abby and Gibbs walked through the front door of his house and both of them carried shopping bags in their hands.

Abby plopped down on the sofa and dropped her bags in front of her. Gibbs laid his bags down gently with the rest and the sat down next to Abby.

"Do we really need all of it?" Gibbs asked, referring to all the stuff they had just bought.

"Well yeah...these are the things that babies need." She replied reaching for one of the bags.

Gibbs rolled his eyes at the woman sitting next to him. He loved her to death, but he wondered sometimes if it was worth it. And of course it was--it may drive him crazy for a while, but soon--well in a few months anyway--they would have a new baby and that part made him feel anxious and excited. And while it was, technically, his second child--he had kind of forgotten about the morning sickness, and the weird cravings, and everything else that pregnancy entailed. At least it was only temporary though.

"I haven't even finished the nursery, or finished moving you in. There's still just so much to do and so little time to it." Gibbs said with a sigh.

"Well maybe it would go faster if maybe, you know, you'd let me actually help you." Abby said with a grin.

Gibbs glared at Abby. She knew not to go there. He had told her a billion times already NO. He just didn't want her to over exert herself in anyway.

"No, Abs..I don't want you getting hurt." He told her--again.

"Jethro you can't keep doing this," she replied, exasperated. "I'm tired of just sitting around and not doing anything Jethro. I feel lazy--like I'm dead weight or something." She pouted angrily.

"Abs, you're not dead weight--maybe lazy--but definitely not dead weight." He said flashing that trademark "Gibbs" grin hoping it would make her smile--it usually did.

It worked she smiled. Gibbs knew that that always made her feel better. He put his arm around her, pulled her close, and kissed the top of her head.

"Besides it'll be okay. Tony, Ziva, and McGee have volunteered to help out a little--when they can." Gibbs informed Abby. "And Ducky said that he had a friend who might donate some furniture."

Abby knew that Gibbs meant well. It just meant that he cared, and that was something that she never EVER doubted.

"Okay. But you promise you'll still let me decorate the nursery when its finished?" Abby asked quietly.

Gibbs chuckled. "Yep, it'll be all yours...as long as you don't go overboard. I don't want her to be obsessed with the dead, or thinking its okay to sleep in a coffin, or have a nose ring before she's ten...I take that back I don't EVER want her to have a nose ring." Gibbs said trying to reassure her, and at the same time trying to be funny.

"What about stuffed animals... lots and lots of stuffed animals?" Abby asked trying to match his wit, but also maintaining a level of seriousness.

"Well, then she'll just be obsessed with stuffed animals." Gibbs said with a grin.

Abby laughed at Gibbs before kissing him on the cheek.

Abby almost didn't catch it, but Gibbs thought the baby was going to be a girl.

"Wait...How do you even know that it'll be a girl?" She asked, but then suddenly knew the answer to her question. "Wait don't tell me..your gut, right?"

"Yep!" Gibbs grinned.

"I don't know Jethro...you could be wrong about this one." she said with a smirk.

Gibbs laughed and kissed Abby on the nose.

"I guess we should get this stuff put up." Gibbs said pointing to the bags.

"Yep," Abby replied.

"And since most of it is for the baby, we'll put in the nursery and then sort through it later."

"I totally agree...you put this stuff up and I'll fix us something to eat." She said with a grin, patting his shoulder, as she stood and headed for the kitchen.

Gibbs looked kind of confused.

"Abs, we just ate a half hour ago." he called after her.

"I know...but I'm still hungry for some reason."

Gibbs rolled his eyes. "Gee, I sure hope this pregnancy thing wraps itself up soon," he said with a chuckle.

"Just five more months." Abby called from the kitchen.

Gibbs couldn't help but laugh as he picked up the bags and headed for the nursery (which was still incomplete).

---------------------------------------

...That Weekend...

Gibbs and Tony were hard at work in the still unfinished nursery.

Gibbs had managed to finish building and staining the "Changing Table"--which he stained a beautiful caramel color--and the "Toy Chest"--which was stained the exact same caramel color as the "Changing Table".

Their task now was to finish painting the walls in the baby's room. Gibbs and Abby had put a lot of thought into what color they would paint it. Gibbs had wanted a lighter color, and Abby, of course, wanted a darker color. They eventually compromised and decided to go with a kind of, well, a "Goodnight Moon" kind of theme.

In this theme the walls would be sort of a dark blue color, like night time, and then they would paint a big golden moon in one corner, and then paint little stars around it. Then for good measure they would add in a little bear staring up at the moon from a hilltop

Ducky had told them that he had a friend in the antiques business, and he remembered seeing a wonderful little crib while in his shop once (recently of course) and said he would see if he could convince his friend, Jack O'Malley, to give it to him for a reasonable price.

Gibbs and Abby had expressed their appreciation for, not just his, but everyone's support numerous times.

"You know what this reminds me off?" Tony asked his Boss, as they applied the second coat of paint to the walls.

"What?" Gibbs asked knowing he was about to hear another "DiNozzo Movie Reference".

"Three Men and a Baby." Tony replied with a smile. "You know with Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, and Ted Danson...a chick flick really, but it was pretty good. See what happens is these three guys find-" Tony began but was cut short by Gibbs.

"I know DiNozzo...I saw it too." Gibbs interrupted.

"Right...of course you did." Tony replied.

Gibbs laughed.

There were a few minutes of silence between the two of them as they continued to paint the walls of the nursery. But then Tony broke the silence.

"Boss...can I tell you something...serious?" Tony asked as he stopped and turned to face Gibbs.

Gibbs stopped painting and turned to face Tony once he realized just how serious Tony was being. "What is it?"

Tony took a deep breath before continuing. "See it's about Ziva...and I..." Tony paused unable to decide whether he should continue or stop before he does something stupid--he ultimately went with the first option. "Okay here it is...Boss Ziva and I have been seeing each other for quite some time now and-"

"DiNozzo." Gibbs interrupted Tony sternly.

"Yeah Boss?" Tony responded quickly.

Gibbs raised a hand towards Tony, and it made Tony sort of flinch, as he expected Gibbs to whack him on the back of the head. Instead Gibbs laid his hand, gently yet firmly, on Tony's shoulder. A smile spread across Gibbs' face as Tony straightened up.

"You two deserve it." Gibbs said softly, nodding slightly. "You and Ziva deserve to be happy."

"Thanks...Boss." Tony replied kind of shocked by Gibbs' reaction.

Seeing Tony's reaction to his own reaction, Gibbs uttered a small chuckle. "And in case you haven't noticed, DiNozzo, "Rule Number 12"--went out the window a long time ago."

"Besides, I already knew." Gibbs said, with a grin.

"But How?" Tony asked, shocked.

"I could see it in the way you look at her, and the way she looks at you." Gibbs informed Tony, softly.

Gibbs and Tony shared a good laugh together before they resumed their painting job--conversing with each other as they did so.

---------------------------------------

Out in the living room Abby and Ziva sat on the sofa talking with one another.

"So tell me about you and Tony." Abby demanded with a sly smile.

"There is nothing to talk about...Tony and I are partners...and friends." Ziva said trying to avoid that particular conversation.

"Liar." Abby giggled.

After a few minutes of prodding Abby finally got Ziva to open up about her and Tony's relationship.

"It is complicated." Ziva explained. "We have been seeing each other since Gibbs left, really, and we decided to keep it a secret when Gibbs came back." Ziva told Abby.

"How long have you known?" Ziva asked Abby.

"Well, really, I suspected that there was something going on between you two ever since that night that Tony got shot over at your place. When you claimed that you had had a few drinks at the bar together, and Tony drove you home and stayed the night with you--though I hardly doubt Tony was on the sofa." Abby said with a sly grin.

"What I don't understand is all the secrecy." Abby pointed out. "I mean you guys know that Gibbs and I are together..so if its about "Rule Number 12", then I'm here to tell you--that went out the window a long time ago." Abby assured Ziva.

"Tony is just not ready to face Gibbs about it, yet." Ziva explained.

Abby understood completely she and Gibbs had kept their relationship secret for almost six months before they decided to tell everyone.

"He'll tell Gibbs when he's ready." Abby said reassuring Ziva, who she knew needed it.

The two women talked about their relationships for a while, until they heard the doorbell ring.

Abby walked over to the heavy front door and pulled it open to find Ducky standing on the steps in front of her.

"I come bearing gifts." Ducky declared with a smile.

"Come on in Ducky!" Abby said cheerfully with sweep of her arm towards the inside of the house.

Another man walked up beside Ducky before he could enter the house. He was an older, black man, kind of burly, and he sported white whiskers (well, more like old man stubble). He's a little on the short side (let's say about Ducky's height), and he wears a pair of round glasses. When he spoke his voice carried a gravely tone to it, but it was also gentle and inviting. Overall, he was a really sweet old man."

"Oh, Abigail...this is Jack Thompson. He owns the antique shop that I was telling you about." Ducky informed her.

"Oh hello, I'm Abby." Abby said cheerfully as she stuck out her hand.

"Hello there Abby." the man said as he shook Abby's hand.

"Well come on in you two." Abby said motioning with her hand.

The two men entered the house on Abby's request, and she closed the door behind them.

Abby called Gibbs and Tony out into the living room.

Tony walked up to Ziva and kissed her on the lips. She saw the grin on his face when they pulled apart, and at first it confused her, but then she understood. Tony had told Gibbs about the two of them, and he looked quite relieved and so much happier now that he had cleared the air with his boss. "I love you Ziva." Tony said softly.

Ziva smiled at Tony, and was grateful that he had finally told Gibbs about them being together. "I love you too, Tony." Ziva replied softly, stealing another kiss from Tony.

Abby grinned at Ziva and Tony, and then winked at Gibbs because she knew what Gibbs and Tony had talked about.

Ducky proceeded to introduce everyone to his good friend, Mr. Jack Thompson once he had their attention. After the introductions were made, Ducky gave Mr. Thompson the floor.

"First, just let me say congratulations. To both of you." Mr. Thompson said to Gibbs and Abby.

"Secondly, Ducky has told me everything. I have the crib and the rocking chair ready for you down at my shop." Mr. Thompson informed them.

"Why thank you." Abby said with a smile, placing a hand on her belly.

"Just wait til you see them," Ducky informed them, with a grin. "I can say, without a doubt, that you two will love them." he said with a slight chuckle.

Gibbs walked out of the room for a few seconds, but then returned carrying his check book and a pen in his hands.

"Just name your price." Gibbs said as he flipped open the check book, located a blank check, and made ready to fill it out.

"Oh, no no no--that won't be necessary." Mr. Thompson said, with a chuckle, raising his hands in front of him.

"W-we couldn't just TAKE them." Abby replied, looking at Gibbs and then at Mr. Thompson.

"Please, I insist...this one's on me." Mr. Thompson assured them with a grin.

"I-I don't know what to say." Gibbs said.

"Any friend of Ducky's is a friend-o-mine." Mr. Thompson said, with a chuckle. "And Ducky here...thinks the world of you folks...says your like the family he never had."

Everyone in the room was shocked. Abby had tears welling up in her eyes to a point where all she could do was hug the man and thank him.

"Thank you so much." She whispered into Mr. Thompson's ear.

"Think nothin' of it suga." Mr. Thompson replied with a warm smile.

"Well we haven't quite finished painting the room yet, but-" Gibbs started.

"That's quite alright, just when you do finish...just say the word, and I'll have'em delivered to you--personally." Mr. Thompson replied with a smile.

Abby wiped a few tears from her eyes with the back of her hand. "I-I'm just fixin' to cook lunch. Why don't you and Ducky join us?"

"Oh no, I-I couldn't do that-" Mr. Thompson tried. But Abby, with a little help from Gibbs, finally convinced him to stay and have lunch with them.

------------To Be Continued in "Boys vs. Girls"------------
Chapter End Notes:
Yep! This is chapter 8. Yeah I know things have been a little slow going these last few days, but I will try my best to pick up the slack as best as I can. Enjoy and God Bless!!!