- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and Abby find out whether their unborn child is a boy or a girl.
------------"Boys Vs. Girls"------------
Story by R. O. Knight
based on the hit television series "NCIS"
Created by Donald P. Bellisario

Gibbs and Abby walked through the door of their house at about 7:30 p.m.

It had been another long day at work after which Gibbs ha taken Abby out to dinner. But now they were just glad to be back home.

"I am going to go change into something a little more comfortable." Abby informed Gibbs as she headed back towards the bedroom.

"Alright." Gibbs replied.

Gibbs laid his coat over the back of one of the chairs in the living room, and then kicked off his shoes.

While Abby changed into her night clothes. Gibbs plopped down onto the sofa, and then loosened his tie.

Gibbs found himself lost in his thoughts. The nursery was finished, thanks to a lot of help from Tony, Ziva, Ducky, Mr. Thompson, and McGee. McGee had given them a set of real high-tech baby monitors as a gift. Also they had finally finished moving Abby's stuff into his house and had gotten everything put up where it was supposed to go.

Gibbs never actually thought that he would find himself in this position again. "Happy" again. He was in love with Abby Scuito, and Abby was carrying his child inside her. He was truly, truly happy again.

Abby interrupted Gibbs' thoughts as she walked into the room wearing one of the long night gowns that they had picked out together.

"So what do you think?" she asked him.

"About what?" Gibbs asked looking up at Abby standing in the center of the room.

"About what the baby'll be?" she replied.

"Oh...um...it really doesn't matter." Gibbs said with a grin as Abby bent down to kiss him.

Gibbs switched positions on the sofa so that Abby could sit with him. Abby sat down on the sofa and tucked her feet up under her so that she could lean over against Gibbs.

"Sure it does." Abby said.

"I mean which would you rather have--a boy or a girl?"

Gibbs had to think about it for a moment, but no matter how he chose to look at it he still couldn't decide between one or the other.

"The truth is...it really doesn't matter." Gibbs said softly. "As long as we're together, I'll be happy."

Abby couldn't help but smile as Gibbs kissed her.

"So what time's that appointment tomorrow?" he asked her.

"Ummm...I think it's at 11:30...yeah I think that's it." she replied.

"Are you going with me?" Abby asked.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." Gibbs said with a smile.

"DiNozzo will cover for me tomorrow, so everything is taken care of." Gibbs informed Abby.

The two of them settled back on the sofa together as Gibbs used the remote to turn on the television.

---------------------------------------

The next day Gibbs and Abby found themselves in the parking lot of Washington D.C. Memorial Hospital.

This was it. They were finally going to learn whether their unborn child was a boy or a girl. They were both anxious and excited.

"Ready?" Gibbs asked as they stood outside the hospital entrance holding hands.

"Yep!" Abby replied cheerfully as she squeezed Gibbs' hand.

The two of them walked into the hospital together, smiling.

---------------------------------------

Gibbs and Abby sat in the ultrasound room together waiting for the doctor to come in. Gibbs sat in a chair against the wall while Abby sat up on the table swinging her legs back and forth slowly.

Gibbs had watched Abby deal with the whole experience of being pregnant. She was six months pregnant at this point. She hadn't once complained about her feet or her back, or any of the things that most women were prone to complain about. He remembered that when Shannon was pregnant with Kelly she had always complained about her feet swelling; but Abby almost seemed to be enjoying the whole experience.

"What?" Abby asked with a chuckle when she noticed Gibbs staring at her.

"Nothing...just thinking." Gibbs replied.

"About what?" she asked.

"About how lucky I am." Gibbs said with a smile that made Abby smile too.

Just then the doctor walked in. It was a woman. She had medium-length red hair, green eyes, and a warm smile. She was of average height and build for her age, which looked to be in the mid to late 30s.

"Hello." the doctor said as she entered the room, Abby's charts in hand.

Gibbs and Abby greeted the doctor.

"Hello." They said together.

"Where's Dr. Green?" Abby asked.

"Dr. Green was transferred to Mercy General two weeks ago, but don't worry I'm gonna take good care of you and the little one--I promise." the doctor said with a grin.

"I'm Dr. Strauss...but you can call me Meghan." Doctor Strauss said with a chuckle.

"Ready" she asked Abby.

"Yep." Abby said cheerfully.

"Alright then...if you'll just lay back and pull your shirt up just a little bit we'll get started." Dr. Strauss said.

Abby did as she was told, and soon after that Dr. Strauss rubbed some special jelly, from a jar, onto Abby's belly. Then she performs the ultrasound.

Gibbs stood up and moveed closer to the monitor for a better look.

"Okay...we should be seeing it right about...now." Dr. Strauss said.

"Yeah there it is...and it looks like..."

Suddenly a smile spread across Dr. Strauss' face.

"Congratulations," Dr. Strauss said looking up at Gibbs and Abby. "It's a girl." she informed them.

Abby smiles a big smile and Gibbs bends over and kisses Abby on the forehead.

"Picked out a name yet?" Dr. Strauss asked them as she finished up.

Gibbs and Abby smiled at each other and then Abby revealed the name that they had picked out together.

"Chloe." Abby said softly with a big smile.

------------To Be Continued in "All or Nothing, Pt. 1"------------
Chapter End Notes:
This is Chapter 9 of my series "Together". We're getting closer and closer to a pivotal moment in the relationship of Gibbs and Abby. I hope you guys enjoy this latest chapter, and God Bless!!!!