- Text Size +
Chapter 12

“Oh, this is gonna be so much fun.” Tony stood in the back of the elevator watching the numbers tick up with a growing grin, his excitement gaining momentum as the lift rose. “I've got so much planned for McGee...." Tony chuckled mischieviously. "Oh hell, even paperwork sounds like fun after the last two months I've had. I really thought I was gonna go completely bonkers there at your...” Gibbs turned around and glared at Tony who hastily backtracked “Not that I think your place is boring or anything, Boss. It's just...ya know...”

“You sure you're ready for this?” Gibbs asked cutting off his babble.

“Yeah, Boss. I'm getting around pretty well with the crutches now. Just as long there aren't any stairs, I'm good. Besides, I know you're all dying to get me back. Just admit it, the team is lost without me.”

“Yet somehow we managed to catch three murderers, a drug smuggler and two terrorists while you were gone.”

“Okay. Maybe not completely lost, but I'm like the glue that holds the team together, right?”

“More like a nail, except in the forehead.”

“Ow, that hurts more than my leg, Boss.”

“You could always take another week off.”

“You're kidding right?”

“Have I ever kidded with you, DiNozzo?”

“Sure you have.” Tony chuckled, but was shut up by the look Gibbs delivered. “You mean you haven't been joking about firing me all these years?”

“Nope. Even drew up the paperwork a couple of times.” Gibbs deadpanned.

“Really? ” Tony's smile disappeared.

“Yet, somehow you always manage to redeem yourself before I can turn it in.” Gibbs complained outwardly, but grinned secretly after he turned his back to Tony.

It was then that Gibbs walked to the opening door of the elevator and exited, not waiting for Tony to hobble out on his crutches. Taking much longer than he would have liked in all of his anticipation, he rounded the corner to the bullpen as quickly as his one good leg would allow and hoped to catch everyone by surprise.

“Hey! Hey! Every-.....” He called out, but looked to see that neither Ziva nor McGee were at there desks, even Gibbs had disappeared “...one”

“Huh...” Tony was so disappointed to not have anyone greet him as he came in that he forgot all of the nasty comments to his friends he had been preparing and saving up for just this occasion. After all the times he had gone over what the moment arriving at the bullpen again would be like in his head, he was a little disappointed by the reality of it all. It was a let down, but who was he kidding to think that anyone would be waiting with baited breath for him to come back?

He decided to just make his way to his desk and rest his leg when a head popped over the cubicle wall at the far end. He didn't recognize the face, but from the descriptions he received from his friends over the weeks, he was pretty certain of who it was.

“Agent DiNozzo?” The young, dark haired man walked around the corner. Dressed sharply in a tailored black suit, white shirt and black tie, he looked more like an extra from Men in Black than an NCIS agent. He was very handsome, not that Tony would admit that he ever noticed that sort of thing in other men, but there was no denying that he could give Tony a run for his money in the looks department. However, the kid was obviously trying way too hard impress people with his clothing choices....Not that Tony never tried to impress people with his designer clothes, but that was different- He never wore his nicest clothes because he wanted to get ahead at work, especially since Gibbs sure didn't give a damn about where his clothing came from. It was always a woman that was cause for breaking out his best suits.-Big difference.

“Yeah. So, you must be our new temp Probie.”

“Special Agent Aaron Foster. Nice to finally put a face to the name” The other man held out his hand and Tony awkwardly found a way to balance on one foot while releasing his hold on his right crutch so he could shake his hand.

“You too, Special Agent Foster. Where is everyone?”

“Um....I'm not sure. Gibbs told me to stay here and man the phones.”

Looking around the quiet bullpen, Tony turned back to the new guy with raised eyebrows.

“Good job, Probie...Way to watch phones not ring.” Just as Tony finished his sarcastic remark the phone on his desk rang.

“I'll get that, Agent DiNozzo.” Foster told him politely, but his narrowed eyes betrayed his irritation. “I wouldn't want to be derelict in my duty, now would I?” Tony only sneered a little in response once Foster turned his back on him and picked up the phone “Agent DiNozzo's desk.....Yes, he is...” Foster looked up at Tony. “I'll let him know.”

“What's up, Probie?”

“You're wanted in Abby's lab.” Foster informed him.

“Well, at least somebody was looking forward to me coming back.” Tony muttered to himself as he headed for the elevator. “Keep up the phone watch, Foster. You're doing an excellent job.” He called out behind him, not seeing the glint of malice that flashed in the younger man's eyes.

Tony traveled down to the lab, thinking about his first impression of Foster. He wasn't sure he liked him...a little on the shifty side if you asked him, but he had only met the guy for a whole ten seconds, so it was still a little difficult to say how well they would get along. Oh well, it didn't really matter. He was back and the kid would be sent to another team somewhere soon, so he shouldn't have to put up with him for long.

When the elevator doors opened, Tony made his way out and headed for the lab. His smiled brightened as he heard voices coming from inside.

“Candles, Abby? It's not his birthday.”

“I know, but they're pretty, aren't they?” Tony could almost hear the roll of McGee's eyes, even if he couldn't see them yet.

“It is very nice, Abby. With or without the candles.” Ziva offered.

“Awww. Thanks, Ziva. You think Tony will like it?”

“It is chocolate, what is there to not like?”

“As long as it's edible, Tony will like.” McGee mumbled. "It is edible isn't it?"

“Are you saying that something I made wouldn't be edible, Timmy?”

“No. no...I'm sure it's delicious....It's just....”

“Just what, Mcfoot-in-mouth?” Tony asked as he came into the lab.

“Tony! Yay you're here!” Abby came across the lab in a flash and had him in a hug a half second later, but did her best to be careful not to knock him over thanks to his ungainly leg brace and crutches though.

“Hey Abbs, you made me something?”

“It's something alright.” McGee muttered, but Ziva hit him in the arm, causing him to give out a little yelp.

“Come and see.” Abby excitedly pulled him to her table where a bowl appeared to be on fire.

“Surprise!” she exclaimed.”I was going to make you a 'welcome back' cake last night, but I got home late and I didn't have any cake mix and the only thing left in my place that I could make you was some dry cookie mix, but I didn't have any eggs to put into the cookie mix and the only thing I had left that was remotely dessert-like was some chocolate instant pudding mix, so then I thought- what if I combined the cookie and pudding mixes together? Then you could have cookie-dough pudding.” Abby smiled brightly and hopefully up at Tony.

“Ooookay- cookie dough pudding....could be good.” Tony lied as he looked into the bowl and the chunky, chocolate concoction in front of him. “But why are there candles in it?”

“That's what I asked.” McGee pointed out.

“Doesn't anyone understand the concept of pretty anymore? Besides, fire is a symbol of my burning desire to get Tony back to us and here he is.”

“That's sweet, Abby, Thanks” Tony gave her a sincere smile and grateful look and she smiled brightly in return.

“Well, c'mon. Don't just stand there! Get off that leg and blow out your candles.” Abby insisted as she pulled her chair to the table for him to sit. With a little effort, Tony was able to find a comfortable position in the chair in order to blow out the candles

Abby clapped as smoked filled the room after he blew them all out.

“Wow, Tony you got them all in one breath. Good job.”

“Yes..Good blow job.” Ziva offered sincerely.

Tony raised his eyebrows with a gigantic smile to Ziva. McGee and Abby snickered while Ziva just looked confused by their reactions.

“What? What is so bad about what I said?” Ziva began to boil as she realized that she must have said some sort of double entendre. "All I said was you did a good job blowing out the candles- I was being nice."

There were times when Tony was downright grateful that Ziva didn't have the best grasp on English innuendo. This was one of those times.

“Oh I get it. Blowing must have something to do with sex, yes?” As Ziva's ire rose and her face reddened, Tony's smile spread out wider. “Does everything in English have to have a double meaning? Can I not say anything without there being some kind of hidden sexual connotation behind it?”

“Oh... There was nothing hidden about that one, Ziva.” Tony laughed, enjoying the sight of a flustered Mossad assassin squirm.

Of course, it could never last.

Tony felt her hand make sharp contact with the back of his head, wiping the smile off his face.

“Ow. Not even a full day back and you're trying to injure me again? Just for that- no cookie pudding for you!” He pointed at Ziva and she stuck he tongue out at him.

“If I hit you can I get out of eating the cookie pudding too?” McGee asked, as he looked into the brown mixture.

“How about I hit you, McGee?” Abby came at McGee threateningly with a spoon. McGee held up his hands in defense until Abby put the spoon onto his right one and closed his fingers around the handle of it for him.

“Try it McGoo...” Tony ordered. “Go on, Don't hurt Abby's feelings or I'll hurt you.” Tim rolled his eyes at Tony then held the spoon hesitantly over the bowl before finally dipping it in and taking a small bite of the stuff and chewing. The face McGee made was one that Tony wished he had a camera to capture.

“Is it supposed to make that crunching sound?” Ziva asked as McGee forced his throat muscles to contact and swallow the bite. Tony would have continued to laugh at McGee's reaction to the cookie-pudding, but was immediately silenced as Abby handed him a spoon as well.

“Your turn.”

OOOOOOOOOO

Gibbs wasted no time after stepping off the elevator and leaving Tony to his own devices to begin heading for the stairs to the Director's office.

“Morning, Boss.” Foster greeted before Gibbs reached the stairway. “Anything you need me to do this morning? I'm caught up on just about everything.” Sometimes the young man's eagerness to please was a bit much for first thing in the morning, but Gibbs was in a good mood and wouldn't bite his head off, at least not yet.

“Just watch the phones, Foster.” Was all Gibbs muttered as he ascended the stairs quickly. Entering the director's reception area he was told to wait and have a seat. Gibbs sat and drank his coffee while he sat and watched the minutes tick by on his watch. Just as he finished the last swallow of his drink, the door to Vance's office opened and the director stood in the open doorway with his arms crossed.

“Come in, Agent Gibbs. We have a lot to discuss.”

Gibbs couldn't agree more and walked into the director's office, taking a seat in one of the chairs in front of Vance's desk.

“So, I hear Agent DiNozzo is back today.” Vance stated matter-of-factly.

“He is.”

“You're no doubt wondering if this means I will be reassigning Agent Foster.”

“I am.”

“He's staying put for now, Gibbs”.

“I don't need a five man team.” Gibbs argued.

“We both know DiNozzo's still a long ways away from going back into the field. His doctor has insisted the he only work half days while he's still in physical therapy and I think I'm being tolerant enough for allowing that much." Vance leaned back in his chair and folded his arms, giving off an air of condesention.

"We have high standards for our field agents for a reason, Agent Gibbs. If Agent DiNozzo fails to meet those standards then we need someone else who can. So, until he passes his physical fitness evals, he'll be riding a desk and Foster will be on your team.”

Gibbs could see that there would be no changing Vance's mind on this one, so he decided to not argue it any further, but sat back in his chair and crossed his arms to show how much he was displeased to keep his fifth wheel.

Vance ignored Gibbs' silent protest and reached for a file, flopping it over towards the other side of the desk in the direction of the former Marine.

“What's this?” Gibbs asked.

“It's a new assignment for your team.” Vance explained. "Like I said, we have a lot to discuss."

TBC.....