- Text Size +
Chapter 4

Ducky hung his hat and trenchcoat onto the coat-rack and sighed as he made his way to his desk and sat down, grabbing a stack of files and records that Jimmy had left for him to sign off on. He meant to begin his task, however his thoughts were on anything but work right at the moment. His mind kept wandering back to the conversation he had earlier with Tony earlier that afternoon.

It had been no easy task to return to that hospital room after McGee and Abby left to head back to work. He knew Tony had figured it out that there was the possibility that he had sustained injuries that endangered his chances of returning to active field duty when Timothy let it slip that a T.A.D. agent had been assigned to the team in his absence.

Ducky walked into the room and Tony didn't so much as acknowledge his presence, but maintained a level gaze on the ceiling above and remained uncharacteristically quiet as the medical examiner took a seat next to Tony's head. As a medical doctor, Ducky had seen his fair share of devastating injuries and he knew from experience that young men like Tony who thrived on their physical accomplishments and active lifestyles often had the hardest times accepting their limitations and as a consequence, when faced with the possible outcome of being relieved of his job, he worried that it just might crush this particular young man.

“You know, I once met a man in Nepal when I was traveling through there with the Royal Medical Corps.” Ducky began. He saw Tony sigh.

“Now, now...hear me out. I know I do tend to prattle on sometimes, but you should listen to this. Anyway, this man was an expert mountain climber, he summited some of the world's tallest mountains including, Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Everest. He was a dynamic man, full of zest for life and he told me the story of how one day, far from the adventures he sought, he was in his home town, I believe it was New Jersey...or New York...one of those....Anyway, He was out one morning, minding his own business, just taking a leisurely stroll out in his neighborhood when he was struck by an intoxicated driver. He was terribly injured and doctors were quite certain he would never walk again and his days as a mountain climber were certainly over.”

“So let me guess...” Tony finally spoke up, still staring up at the ceiling. “He worked hard, pushed himself and finally he regained the use of his legs and he was able to climb mountains again, right? And this is supposed to be some sort of analogy for me? Work hard and I'll get my job back, right?” Tony turned his head to Ducky, fire and determination burning in his eyes.

“ Well, I'm already planning on doing just that, Ducky. I have no intention of letting some Goddamn, snot-nosed temp agent do the job I'm supposed to be doing. Not for long.”

Ducky sighed and shook his eyes, rubbing his eyes under his glasses in frustration. This was going to be harder than he thought.

“Anthony, I feel you should hear the rest of the story.” The doctor continued. “My friend did work very hard. Too hard. He pushed himself so much in fact, that he burned out from physical exhaustion and re-injured himself several times before he finally came to the realization that he needed to slow down in order to hasten his recovery. Eventually, he was able to regain his former strength, but it took him more than just hard work; It took time, Anthony.”

“From the moment he was hit by that car to the time he climbed another mountain, five years went by. I just want to be honest with you, my boy. You have a long road ahead of you and if you try to rush things you may only succeed in frustrating yourself. Give your body time to heal before you go all-out in trying to find that mountain to climb. Little steps at a time. You must learn to crawl before you walk, then walk before you can run and I have little doubt that you are determined and anxious to get back to Gibbs' team as soon as possible as much as I know Gibbs wants you back, but it could be a while and I want you to be prepared for that possibility.”

Tony's face took on a serious and pained expression and he turned his head back towards the ceiling.

“Try to rest, Anthony. I know what I'm talking about here. I may speak to my dead patients, but it is my living ones that I truly care about the most.” Ducky patted Tony's shoulder even as the younger man turned his head away. The truth could be hard to confront and Ducky had decided it best to give Tony the time he needed to begin sorting things out for himself in private. He got up from his seat and headed for the door.

“I don't care what you say, Ducky. I don't want to climb any mountains, I just want to do my job and I'm not staying like this for long.” Tony spoke softly from his bed.

“I know. That was what I was afraid you would say.” Ducky responded mostly to himself before he left the room.


Now as the doctor sat at his desk, he wondered if he had been a bit too hasty in confronting Tony with the truth so soon into his recovery. He certainly didn't want to take Tony's hope away. Determination and drive were good things when it came to the kind of rehabilitation Tony would require, but he merely wanted him to be aware of the fact that his body would not be able to recover as fast as he might want it to and he could just see the young agent, pushing him so hard that he broke.

He knew Gibbs would be there to help his agent along the way to wholeness, but he also worried that Gibbs' single-minded determination might press Tony beyond what he is capable of accomplishing. He knew he would have to have the same talk with Gibbs soon and he was not looking forward to that conversation either. Even though Jethro was his oldest friend and they had been through much together, he was still just as stubborn as a mule as ever and trying to talk him out of something after he had his heart and mind set on was nearly next to impossible.

Speaking of the devil himself, Ducky heard a noise at the door and turned to see Gibbs strolling up to him, a file in one hand.

“Just come back from the hospital, Duck?” Gibbs asked.

“Indeed, Jethro.”

“How's Tony doing?”

“He is bound and determined to get out of that bed as soon as possible.”

“Good.” Gibbs responded

“No, Jethro. It is not good.” Ducky told him pointedly.

“Duck?”

“Anthony knows that a T.A.D. agent is here to fill in for him during his convalescence. I can already see how much it is distressing him to think that his job as a field agent is on the line and I am concerned that he may be reluctant to see reason when it comes to just how important it will be for him to have patience with his recovery.”

“So what do you want me to do about that?” Gibbs asked.

“I would begin by suggesting that you let go of your own expectations for Agent DiNozzo's return to duty. We are looking at more than just a couple of months here. Possibly a lot more. This will be a long journey for Anthony, but if he sees that you are in it with him for the entire duration and that you don't want him to rush it just for your benefit, then he will follow your lead. He always has before.”

Ducky could see by the way Gibbs stiffened that he has hit a nerve.

“Are you saying I shouldn't push Tony? Because, I know he can do this. He's strong and he may be a pain in the ass, but he's my pain in the ass and I'll deal with him as I see fit.”

“Jethro....”

“No, Duck.” Gibbs turned away, reigning in his anger, before turning back to his old friend with a fire burning behind his blue eyes “Tony's going to make it back here soon and I'm going to make damn sure of that.”

“Ah yes, I see now....What would I know? I'm only a doctor with over 40 years of experience with these sort of things.” Ducky shook his head in frustration and sighed. He and Tony were almost too much alike and he was certain the two of them were going to be the death of him one day.

“Duck....” Gibbs implored, shaking his head.

“Just what did you come down here for anyway, Jethro?” Ducky asked, more than a little ticked-off bit his friend's resistance to listen to him.

Gibbs placed the file he was holding on Ducky's desk.

“Think you can take a look at this when you get the chance?”

“What is this?” Ducky asked picking up the file and opening it.

“The new T.A.D. Agent. Not sure what to make of him yet. I'd like your opinion on him.”

“You want me to profile him? Have we not had this discussion before shortly after Agent Langer was killed by Agent Lee?”

“Like I said, I just want your opinion of him....” Gibbs sighed. “As a friend.”

Ducky closed his eyes, he was more tired than he ever thought possible.

“Fine, Jethro. I'll take a look at it tonight. I'll let you know what I think in the morning, whether you want listen to what I believe or not.”

Gibbs just stood there for a moment and the now exhausted medical examiner truly hoped that he had gotten through. But when the senior agent turned on his heel and left the morgue, Ducky wasn't so sure. He could see already that Gibbs was going to be hell to be around until or if until Tony returned to the team, somehow that young man had a way of diffusing tension in Gibbs in a way no one else, including himself was ever capable of doing. He just hoped his friend didn't bring everyone else down with him when reality came a-knocking.

OOOOOOOOOO

Ziva shut down her computer as McGee and Agent Foster headed for the elevator. She had every intention of just heading home for the evening now that Gibbs had released them, but she had told McGee and Gibbs both that she would see Tony later. However she was still reluctant to make that trip down to see him.

Whenever she thought about him, all she could see was his pained expression as she tired to stem the flow of blood from his broken leg. It was hard for her to think of Tony as anything other than the self-assured, cocky jock that he portrayed on a daily basis and for some reason, as long as she thought she could avoid seeing him in that vulnerable position again, then she could continue to think of him as he usually was and everything would be as normal as ever.

However, that just wasn't the case. Instead, every time she looked up from her desk, all she saw was Tony's empty spot where he should be leaning back in his chair, charming his next conquest over the phone or throwing spit-wads at McGee. Instead there was an eerie silence the likes of which she never expected to hate so much.

Maybe that's why she found herself pulling into the hospital parking lot and was now standing outside of his door, her hand hesitating over the handle.

Taking a deep inhale, she decided it was time to quit being such a coward and finally enter the room. Pulling the door open, her heart nearly melted a bit at the sight that greeted her and she couldn't help by smile a little and take down those inhibitions she had been feeling beforehand.

On the bed before her was Tony, his feet up in traction and covered by thick black, fuzzy socks, his head rolled off to the side, a small line of drool falling from his lips to his pillow and hands cupping a small, half-eaten container of vanilla pudding that he appeared to have fallen asleep while eating.

Thinking that she had missed her chance to speak with him that night, she headed for the door to leave.

“Hey....Wait.” She heard mumbled from the bed

“Tony?”

“Don't go yet, Ziva.”

She turned back to him and came up beside him uncomfortably.

“Hi.” He greeted.

“Hi.” She returned.

“So....”

“So....” She nodded. Awkward conversations were a new thing between her and Tony. Normally the banter between them came easily, but now....she wasn't sure what to say or where to start.

“I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to come by.”

“I am sorry. I had a lot of work to catch up on.” She lied.

“Sure you did....” He caught on to her deceit. “or you're just chicken.”

“Chicken? What does a barnyard fowl have to do with anything?” She asked confused.

“You're a Chicken, Ziva...As in you've been afraid. I get it. It's okay. It's no fun to visit your crippled partner in the hospital.” He gave her a little lopsided grin.

“You are not crippled, Tony.” Ziva rolled her eyes with a small grin that mirrored his, grateful for his light attitude. Perhaps this wouldn't be so hard after all.

“I'm about as close as I care to come.” He replied, his smile fading as he looked to his hands.

Ziva's face softened, her guilty conscience coming to the fore and she knew she would be unable to wrestle with it for much longer. Tony was right. She had been a coward. She should have come sooner, but she was too afraid. Too afraid of admitting her mistakes, but mostly afraid of exposing how much she really cared for Tony not just as a partner, but as a friend as well.

“Tony....I am....I want to apologize.” She began hesitantly. “I feel like this is in large part my fault.”

“Why? Did you push me off the balcony?” He smiled, that cocky smile that always had a way of either putting her at ease or irritating her to no end. “Seriously, I don't remember...You didn't, Did you?”

“No, I did not.” smiling in return, she replied, but dropped the smile as she recalled the events of that day. The same events that had been playing over and over again in her head for days like a movie stuck in an endless loop.

“But....I should have done more to ensure your safety. I was at the other end of the apartment we were clearing when Lt. McGraw came at you. I should have been closer to your six. Perhaps things might have turned out...differently and maybe you wouldn't be in here.”

“I may not remember anything about what happened, but I do know it's not your fault, Ziva. Plus, I hear the guy was 250 pounds of solid muscle fueled by 'roid rage and about half a pound of cocaine. Even with your super, Mossad ninja skills, there wasn't anything you could do. Even Wonder Woman, who by the way you should look into getting fashion tips from, wouldn't have been able to prevent what happened.”

“Besides, I'll be fine. I'll be back soon.” He added confidently.

“I know you will.” Ziva and Tony's eyes finally met each other and with a nod from her she conveyed all the rest of what she wanted him to know. Her concern for him, her thankfulness that he didn't feel she was rsponsible for his fall and her desire to see him get better and to get back to the team again where they could be partners once again.

OOOOOOOOOO

Special Agent Aaron Foster was no stranger to hard work.

Or ambition.

As he settled down into his bed for the evening, he recalled how from a young age,he pulled himself up from the poverty of his mother's home, worked two jobs after school while maintaining a straight-A grade point, then made it into the military academy at West Point, pushing himself both physically and mentally, graduating in the top 5% of his class. From there he went to the intelligence Corps where he excelled as well, earning praises, commendations and medals from his superior officers and achieving the rank of Captain with his own company after just four years in service.

But he had always wanted more than to be just a military officer.

Not that he really wanted to earn more and make more money. It wasn't about that so much as it was his desire to be a person of authority. Someone people would look to for answers. Someone that even his drunk asshole of a father would recognize as an important person.

Starting at the bottom again after getting out of the Army had been a bit of a blow to his ego, but he hoped that he had proven himself to the Director that he was a smart and capable agent by graduating at the head of his class at FLETC and busting an on-board drug ring while serving as Agent Afloat aboard the Nimitz and that he was now on his way up. Now being assigned to the major case team at NCIS headquarters, he hoped that this would improve his chances or promotion, maybe even land him his own team soon and from there, who knew? He could even become director or even be appointed to work with the SecNav or higher.

He deserved this chance.

He had worked hard for it.

And nothing was going to stop him from grabbing hold of this opportunity and not letting go.

As he lay in bed and recalled the events of his first day, he couldn't help but feel a little more confident of his chances here. If there was one thing that being an ex-Army intelligence officer had to offer, it was his ability to gather and use information to his advantage. He had already learned a lot so far on his first day, just by listening and asking a few little questions here and there and he felt he had come to see just what sort of standards he was up against when compared to the rest of Gibbs' team.

Most of the personnel he encountered offered their sympathies when he told them he was assigned to Agent Gibbs' team, but everyone agreed that despite it all, his team was almost legendary in their ability to solve cases and generally kicked major criminal ass. Gibbs himself was looked upon in an almost a folk-hero fashion; the former Marine Gunnery Sergeant that took crap from no one and expected nothing but the best from his agents.

Aaron could handle that. He always strove to be the best at everything he did and he didn't want anyone to feel sorry for him because he was one Gibbs' team. He was proud to be chosen so soon into his career as a federal agent to be apart of such an elite team and if all went well and it turned out that Agent DiNozzo wouldn't be coming back then, he had to be prepared to make certain that Gibbs would decide to keep him on the team permanently.

There was just one problem.

He had to make sure that Agent DiNozzo never returned to Gibbs' team.

From what he had learned already about his competition, it was not going to be an easy task to get in on the good graces of Agent Gibbs and the rest of his team, but he could do it-of that he was certain.

Agent McGee would probably be the easiest to influence and possibly Officer David as well as he had learned that Agent DiNozzo was known for his rather annoying and irritating behavior towards his fellow teammates.

Then there was Abby Scuito, the weird, goth forensic scientist he met earlier when Agent McGee gave him a quick tour of the facility. As she eyed him with suspicion, he could feel her animosity towards him and the photos of Agent DiNozzo displayed in a prominent collage on her wall was a testimony to her loyalty to her friend. She would be a little harder to get on his side, but given a little bit of time and a little charming, he could do it- it always worked before.

After all, there was a reason why he advanced so quickly during his time in the Army. Because not only was he smart and competent, but people liked him. He had a way with people and knew how to find subtle ways of making connections with them in ways they sometimes never realized.

His greatest obstacle would of course be winning over Agent Gibbs himself. He would be a tough cookie to crack and getting into his favor would be difficult. Known for his unfathomable loyalty to the injured agent, he knew it would be no small task to make agent Gibbs come to realize that he's be better of with him on his team rather than Agent DiNozzo. How he would go about doing this he wasn't completely sure yet, but he was certain that one way or another he'd get what he wanted.

TBC.....